Speaker 1: Again this morning, we have the pleasure of talking for a few minutes with doctor Mark Skousen. You may have seen him on TV other places before. An incredible author, historian, and the prestigious Dottie Spoke, lead chair of Free Enterprise at Chapman University. If that doesn't mean anything to you, we're gonna we're gonna make it meet something to you by the time we get through this conversation. He is the author of the Greatest American and he is an eighth generation descendant of one of the founders of our country. Some people can argue maybe the most important innovator at the beginning of America, Benjamin Franklin. Doctor Scousin, welcome to the show. How are you.
Speaker 2: I'm doing well and I'm looking forward to making this a bestseller. I think it's possible. People. We need to bring pride back to America. And you know, when you go raw these days, there's a lot of people who are really angry at America. That's the ugly American view that a lot of people have that's going on these days. And it's nice to be able to talk about somebody that everybody loves. At least today. They did not back in Franklin's day, but he is definitely Ben Franklin is one of those. I mean, I've spoken at many conferences, and whether you're Republicans are Democrats, there's a lot you can like about Ben Franklin.
Speaker 1: Well, when we have people who are American citizens like Bruce Springsteen going overseas and preaching basically their detestament of our president, our elected president, or the America he says he loves it's kind of easy to understand what you're talking about where some of this misguided mistrust and hate comes from when you go overseas.
Speaker 2: Well, I would take issue with you a little bit on that, because Trump he's a disruptor and he does try to insult people. I mean, I like Bruce Springsteen. I think some of his music is fantastic, and I think it's unfortunate that we're seeing this kind of divisiveness in this country. And I think if you said, well, Bruce Springsteen, what do you think of Ben Franklin, he would probably say great things about him. One of the things that Franklin really emphasizes is the need to be humble and admit your mistakes. And so I think there's a lot to be said for Franklin as somebody that everyone could say, wow, you know, he really symbolizes the greatness of America.
Speaker 1: As far as what's going on right now in the news, Doctor Skousen, Let's compare Benjamin Franklin and what he would say or think about, for example, economic nationalism.
Speaker 2: Yes, he's very much a global thinker, and he loved foreigners. He spent nine years as the colonial agent in London. He loved London. He loved the life there, the intellectual atmosphere, the political atmosphere, until he was finally kicked out because of the American Revolution, and then he was beloved by the French people. So Frankly at one point said listen, I believe that the rights of man are universal, and I hope there's a day where I could stand on any country and say this is my country. So I think, well, he was a very proud American. I loved what we stood for in creating a new nation that was based on the rights of man. He would also want to extend that around the world. Don't think he would be critical of other nations and other countries. He would try to try to work together.
Speaker 1: So he wasn't necessarily an America first kind of guy.
Speaker 2: Then I think he was America free and all other countries free. But yes, he loved America and he was a devoted follower of American exceptionalism because look at the difference between the American Revolution the French Revolution. Franklin died before he could see the full effects of the French Revolution, but he would not be happy with the outcome of the French Revolution. What was very happy with the outcome of the American Revolution. So I think he liked the idea of America as a great country and spreading its message all around the world. But you you don't want an idea that we have have to we win only if you lose in other countries. And I don't think that's Franklin's view. I think he would like to see free trade. He was an advocate of Adam Smiths, and he would be a big believer in globalization today and new technology which is being developed because we have entrepreneurs from all over the world.
Speaker 1: What about America's sovereignty? Did he not believe in that?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yes, I'm sure he did, but he was he was very liberal when it came to immigration. He invited foreigners to come to this country. I think it's a little different today because of the terrorist problems and the gang problems and stuff like that. So I don't think he would be an open border guy today like he was back then, because back then, I mean, we really wanted people from all over the world to come, and they did come. But today I think his view would be more, we want the best in the brightest to come to America to do jobs that we're not willing to do or we're not qualified to do. I mean, there's just like one hundred thousand openings right now for engineers that we can't fill because we don't have enough engineers in our own country.
Speaker 1: Well, I've heard President Trump speak to that exactly, that exact thing. We want the best in the brightest. We want people here to add to our country, and what has been going on in the previous administration, I think illustrates how we weren't getting the best in the brightest here and that therein lies some of the issues we have, or many Americans, in fact, the majority of Americans have with illegal immigration. I tell you what, We'll take a quick break and we'll talk more about the greatest American that's the book Benjamin Franklin, eight Generations on. We're talking to doctor Mark Skousen. Good stuff. Conversation with doctor Mark Skousen, author of the Greatest American. The book does not come out until a week from today next Tuesday. That will be Amazon and the usual places, but you can pre order the book and what he illustrates here and what he parallels. Benjamin Franklin is great, great, great great great great great great great great. I ran out of greats. Dear doctor Skeleson descendant, and how he would view a lot of arguments and debates we have now in the country, including government spending, and that has been a huge thing. And Benjamin Franklin a penny saved, a penny earned, believe that government should be as as costless as possible, that we could be governed cheaply. Correct.
Speaker 2: I think that's a good way to look at it. He was definitely in Thomas Jefferson's camp of government. Government's best at governs least in many ways, and in fact, at one point he said, a virtuous and industrious people may be cheaply governed. So I ask people when I give talks about Ben Franklin, do we have cheaf government today, and whether you're Republicans or Democrats, you say, no, government's pretty expensive. We pay a lot of taxes in order to get these services, and they're not as productive as we would like. So Franklin would be really amazed and very upbeat about our higher standard of living today. Actually, one point said, I'd like to live to be two or three hundred years from now, which would be now, and he would love the new technology gadgets and the cell phones and the internet and the television and dry and the flying and he would love that. But he would also be appalled at the size of government and the national debt. He was very much anti debt in many ways, and he believed in kind of classical economics of a balanced budget and low taxes and free trade and open markets and that sort of thing. The regulatory environment. I think he would find that way overboard, So he would be very much in Elon Musk camp of doge and trying to bring government back to a you know, better and cheaper is the American way, right?
Speaker 1: Sure? Well, we talked about today's current foreign policy challenges and and Donald Trump kind of illustrated this on his trip to the Mid East. This commerce with all and war with none? Did he not?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's Franklin's another very simple formula. It's kind of similar to what George Washington said in his farewell addressed the system of America's commerce with all and war with none. So if we can expand commerce and private relations with individual countries, that's all the better. And I do put high marks in Trump's efforts to reduce international tensions and to work work with other countries to eliminate these wars that are going on. Of course, it's easier said than done. I mean, Trump said he would do it in a day, but obviously the Ukraine war is much more complex, and he's having a hard time dealing with Putin and there's a lot of evil out there and how do you how do you deal with that? You have to show strength, and I don't think Biden did that. That is a problem. But Franklin, you know wars. He said there's never a good war of bad peace. Uh. I think it's I think there can be a bad peace, but there's never really a good war. And as Trump points out over and over again, hundreds of thousands of people are being killed in these wars that hopefully they can end that soon. So I'm I'm optimistic. I'm idealistic, as as Ben Franklin is about trying to develop a peaceful international community.
Speaker 1: Benjamin Franklin, you say in the book The Greatest American by doctor Mark Skousen out next Tuesday, we're looking at what the Fed is doing. Would Ben Franklin have even been a fan of the Federal Reserve? It wasn't part of the original plan, was it.
Speaker 2: Well, in a sense it was because he Franklin was around when the Alexander Hamilton created the first.
Speaker 1: Bank.
Speaker 2: He was actually a shareholder of the Philadelphia.
Speaker 1: Bank that.
Speaker 2: Started the central banking method. Franklin had a rather modern view that would fit rather well with J. Powell and the Federal Reserve and having a policy of a two percent annual inflation. He actually wrote a pamphlet when the British restricted the use of gold and silver coins in the colonies, and so there was always this talk of shortage of money, Franklin wrote a pamphlet in favor of printing paper money that was not backed by gold or silver, and he said this would be very helpful for expanding business and get the economy going and so forth, and he wrote this pamphlet, and then interestingly enough, he became the printer of the currency that the Pennsylvania Colony had printed up, so in a sense, he became the first crony capitalist profiting from that, I will say, if I don't mind saying, when he saw that we inflated too much and the continent it wasn't worth a continental because of the runaway inflation. As a result, in Congress he did write critically and criticize excessive inflation. So he's in favor of a little inflation, but not a lot of inflation.
Speaker 1: There is so much to unpack here, I tell you what. Let's take another quick break and we'll come back more with doctor Mark Scousen this morning, author of the Greatest American. He is an eighth generation descendant of Yes D. Benjamin Franklin, and I think there are so many parallels to what's going on today and how Franklin would view them. And the Doctor's got a pretty good hand on it from what I've heard so far. We'll be back in just a moment. You're on fifty five KRC, the talk station. As we continue with doctor Mark Scowsen this morning, we want to talk about political polarization, which is just everywhere today. And Benjamin Franklin, just like George Washington, not a fan of party politics whatsoever, believed it was counterproductive to what they were trying to do in the country they were trying to build. I concur with this. How do we How would he suggest we get out of the situation we're in with the polarization of politics in this country.
Speaker 2: Doctor Well, Franklin had to deal with enemies all the time, and he had a formula. He would, for example, somebody didn't really like him for whatever reason, he would go to that person and say, listen, I hear you have a book on your bookshelves that perhaps I could borrow that would be helpful for me, and he would develop a personal relationship. And I think that is really the key, if you can develop that with an avoid the labeling and the name calling that we so often engage in. Franklin was very good at that. He really worked hard at it, and that becomes evident in his autobiography. And so he worked really over time to help and become friends with people that were not necessarily in agreement on a particular issue. There's a lot to be said for that approach and to avoid the labels as much as possible. Ronald Reagan I think was very good. He worked with Tip O'Neil and so forth on these kinds of issues, and we're able to accomplish a lot of good things. So that's the I think that's the Franklin approach. He certainly did a very good job of fundraising in in France to win the American Revolution, so he was beloved by the French people, even though John Adams and others were very critical. They didn't like the French people and as a result, they were not able to raise any money. Franklin raised all the money, and a lot of people say without the French help, we would not have won the American Revolution.
Speaker 1: You know, doctor, you've seen them. I'm sure the bumper stickers on the backs of some people's cars that say coexist, and it's got all the different religious or faith symbols as spelling out the word coexist. It's hard to coexist with people who want to kill you or put you in jail or bankrupt you. And I think that's some of the issues that President Trump has with the other side of the political realm. Just my own personal comment.
Speaker 2: Franklin had the same problem. He had His own son, William was a loyalist, and even though Franklin arranged for him to be become the governor of New Jersey during the American Revolution, his own beloved son, William was a loyalist and put his life, his own father's life at risk because of it, and they never reconciled. So Franklin, there are some lines that Franklin would not cross, and I'm sure that applies very much today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, And finally the juicy part. Been waiting to get to this. In the Greatest American there is a chapter on Benjamin Franklin's towards sex life. And you know, I'm not surprised that you're an eighth generation descendant. I'm sure Benjamin has plenty of descendants. As far as the stories I've heard, I don't know. But this was the only content that was ever censored from Newsmack's column.
Speaker 2: I wrote some of these columns for Newsmatches Franklin Prosperity Report, and I sent him this issue about Franklin's sex life, and that was the only the only column that they rejected. I had to replace it with another one. But that chapter is that to call him is in the book. I think it's chapter seventy seven about his hard to govern passions and William, his son was an illegitimate child. But there's really evidence that he only had one illegitimate child, but he did have aliances with a number of other women that he was definitely he was definitely the ladies man. I mean, his critics call him a womanizer. He was married, he was devoted to his wife, Debbie, but when she passed away, then he went to France and he was the ladies man there with Madame Brione and Madame elve Seuss. And one thing that was really great, he was a defenseunder of women's rights and treated them as equals in intellectual interests and so forth. So there's a lot to be said for again Benjamin Franklin as the most modern of the founders. Even in the case of slavery, he was the he changed his mind on slavery and at the end became the president of the Institution to abolish slavery and stuff. So there's a lot of things that you can say about Franklin that are really quite positive and why we can be proud to call him the Greatest American.
Speaker 1: He was a civil rights pioneer and a randy feminist.
Speaker 2: Well that's true, and and and he was active sexually into his eighties.
Speaker 1: So how about that without viagra? Mind you? Thank you, and you you mentioned that he'd be a fan of doze and trying to cut government waste and spinning. He'd also be a fan of Elon Musk and people like him, as far as entrepreneurs and inventors and innovation without government. It's all covered in the book The Greatest American. Again, that is not out till next Tuesday. Correct, that's correct.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it'll be in Barnes and Noble bookstores next Tuesday as well as Amazon, and you can pre order it on Amazon.
Speaker 1: All right, doctor Mark Skows, and thank you so much for the time. I love the conversation, and it paints a whole new or a broadened picture of one of our founding fathers that many people have not really thought about very much. I think, and I know it kind of cause.
Speaker 2: See him on one hundred dollars bill every time. He's quite I'm sure that would please his vanity.
Speaker 1: All Right, very well, I wish you great success with the book, and thank you for your time this morning.
Speaker 2: All right, thank you, you bet.
Speaker 1: We continue five krc V Talk Station stay on top of the day's biggest stories at the top of the hour and that's so important. Another update coming up on fifty five krc the Talk Station. This report is sponsored by