Speaker 1: Hudson River Radio dot com.
Speaker 2: This is a favorite by men at work.
Speaker 3: Big get about it. He get mad.
Speaker 2: At Marie with a brand new Hyunda.
Speaker 4: Hey, this is Jesse Carmichael from Room five. Hi, this is Phil Margo of the Tokens.
Speaker 3: Hello.
Speaker 5: It's Nicole Atkins on the Rock and Roll History Show.
Speaker 6: Hello, everybody, Welcome back to the Rock and Roll History Show and Hudson River Radio. I'm Brian Horowitz. Tonight we're gonna take a little trip around the world and talk about songs about different places. No passport needed and no follow up quiz, So just sit back, not not no, that's true. If you want to scan yourself, go ahead. I would choose the pat down. It's a little more fun, but that's it. That's up to you. As always, before we start, allowing me to introduce all the crambones who are joining us here tonight. First and foremost, from the Erector Observatory, he learned that if you walk the entire distance of the equator, you'd be really tired.
Speaker 4: Neil rectors and kind of wet to at some point. I think you're right, but yeah, and you know, I'm so old that I've actually used a paper road map. Yeah, same like no GPS. No GPS here, dame.
Speaker 6: The skill is to be able to fold it neatly to this section you need.
Speaker 4: That's why I've been walking around lost for decades. I'm okay.
Speaker 1: Road maps and fitted sheets or the Bane of Mind system fitted sheets.
Speaker 6: You just roll them up and cram everything into the pillowcase and put it away in the bag. That's that's how you fold the fitted sheet.
Speaker 7: I just see that video.
Speaker 4: Okay, did you say that fitted sheet? Did you say yeah? Okay, just check say that fast.
Speaker 6: No, I'm not. We're gonna move on from paranormally yours. She's planning on quitting her job and traveling the world until she's broke. So we'll see her tomorrow morning. Dale Nuclem is here absolutely on the silver screen. She saw the beach boys walk into a bar. Round round, get around. I'll get around. Yeah, and last but not least, a host of shaving cream. She read that Elton John recently retired from touring. Now he's worried about packing on a few pounds. Goodbye normal jeans, barb.
Speaker 1: I'm just glad I got to see him.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I saw him a few times. It was never disappointing. I never saw a hissy fit. I know some people got stuck at some he fit concerts and it was miserable.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So I was lucky. He was always in a good mood. So what can I say?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, I would have liked to have seen a hissy fit.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know what, there were times and he would just stop playing. There were times he would play poorly. He wouldn't you know, it wasn't you know. He would take it out on He had a hissy fit on an usher once who was asking people to sit down, and you know, because they're blocking people and that ain't right.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean there's entertainment hiss he fits, and then there's like you're being a jerk hiss he fit.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness. None of that occurred when I went to see him.
Speaker 6: Yeah, same, same. I was lucky.
Speaker 4: You should get your money back or you know, half your money back. Yeah, no, hissy fit.
Speaker 6: True, No, that usually comes from the audience.
Speaker 7: I want the hissy fit discount.
Speaker 6: You need a punch card your fifth hissy fit.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 6: All right, so yeah, we're talking about songs about different places around the world. Mercedes. I think it was your idea, right, It was my idea, and you're going to leave us off this week, so take it away, good, Okay.
Speaker 7: So this song I love and you will too, if by a chance you've never heard it. It's a song by They Might Be Giants, a band with a great sense of humor and wonderfully clever lyrics. They were formed in nineteen eighty two by John Flansburgh and John Linnell, who started out as a duo and then added Marty Beller, Dan Miller, and Danny Weincoff. John and John began writing songs together in high school, but never played together in a band back then. After going to separate colleges, they reunited in nineteen eighty one after moving to the same apartment building in Brooklyn. And no, I don't know if that's a crazy coincidence. Planned I tried to find out they had originally chosen a name that, according to John Flansburgh, was quote so bad that John Lennelle and I have made a vow that we will never tell anyone, even our children. And now that's my life goal is to find out what it was. Then, after they settled on They Might Be Giants, after the movie with George She's c Scott and Joanne Woodward, which is in turn taken from a don Quixote passage about how cute they mistook windmills for evil giants. According to Dave Wilson in his book Rock Formations, the name they Might Be Giants had been used and subsequently discarded by a friend of the band who had a ventriloquism act. In nineteen eighty three, after a broken wrist and an apartment break in, they were unable to play live, so they started diala song, which was, according to Wikipedia, an answering machine with a tape of the band playing various songs. The machine played one track at a time, ranging from demos an uncomplete work, to mock advertisements that the band had created. It became so popular that the tagline was always busy, often broken. Of course, I dialed the number and it is disconnected. They began playing in New York City's Lower East Side at the Pyramid Club, first as a duo with Flansborough and guitar Linelle on accordion and saxophone, accompanied by a drum machine or pre recorded backing track on audio cassette. They can't remember those that had.
Speaker 4: To be a good show. No really.
Speaker 7: They became the house band from nineteen eighty four to nineteen eighty seven. They have recorded twenty three studio albums. The song I picked for the show is from their third album, Flood, which went platinum.
Speaker 2: And it's awesome.
Speaker 7: It's awesome on Electure Records titled Stamboul Not from the Times.
Speaker 2: Time and I think we should hear it in n Yah.
Speaker 3: I love this song.
Speaker 8: Tell it's Stanbul's Consentinople now it's just stan Bol the Constantinople band A long time gone and Contantinople now jerk.
Speaker 2: You're like automble late night break out.
Speaker 8: The Constantinople because it is Stanbult the Consenttinopiso.
Speaker 9: Do you but they Constantine?
Speaker 3: She'll be waiting again?
Speaker 2: Is Stanbul? Even old New York was once New AMSTERDAMN? Why they change it?
Speaker 9: I can't say.
Speaker 2: People just like, way, take me back.
Speaker 8: To Constantine open or you can't go back to Constantinople ben a long time gone and consantin noble.
Speaker 9: Why the Constantinople get the works?
Speaker 2: That's no what it because about.
Speaker 10: The Jerms.
Speaker 11: Temple still Even Old New York was once New AMSTERDAMN.
Speaker 2: Why they change it?
Speaker 9: I can't say, you'll just like to better that way.
Speaker 2: Stun bold is.
Speaker 9: Consent, it's a noble.
Speaker 8: Now it'sis stunt bold my consent and noble, but a long time gone and consent to noble?
Speaker 9: Why the content and noble get the works?
Speaker 3: That's nobs.
Speaker 9: It's about the terms. So take me back to content.
Speaker 8: You can't go back to constantinoble, been a long time gone, Consantino, consentine, noble.
Speaker 9: Get the works.
Speaker 2: That's no long body's business. Bubble is Sanbol.
Speaker 12: So good?
Speaker 13: You cannot possibly be in a bad mood while listening to that song?
Speaker 6: Sure for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 7: So there's a couple of reasons that I like this song. For one, I lived in Istanbul for two years as three and four year old, and no, I don't remember much except making mud pies on the balcony and hearing the moves in who is the official who calls people to prayer five times a day from the mosques minaret. The other reason is that their former former manager is a high school friend of mine. Oh that's pretty cool, I think. But the thing that blew my mind is that this song is a cover. Yeah did anybody know that?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 9: I knew that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was I was going to see yeah, I was going to mention that if you hadn't.
Speaker 7: I was really surprised. This is from Wikipedia. It is a nineteen fifty three novelty song with lyrics of course you would know that.
Speaker 6: Barbara, Where Are You?
Speaker 7: With lyrics by Jimmy Kennedy and music by Nat Simon. It was written on the five hundredth anniversary at the fall of Constantinople to the Ottomans. The lyrics humorously refer to the official renaming of the city of Constantinople to Istanbul. The song's original release, performed by the Four Lads, was certified as a Gold record. Numerous cover versions have been recorded over the years, and most famously a nineteen ninety version by They Might Be Giants. They have won two Grammy Awards, one four Bosamy the theme of Malcolm in the Middle and here comes the one two three's Best Children album. And they have sold over four million.
Speaker 6: And they played in our area a bunch of times, right, didn't they do fundraisers and stuff?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think some of them live there. I know the manager, my friend lives up there.
Speaker 6: Okay, nice? Oh yeah, I forgot you're down there. Where you know it's above freezing. Yay, Look how many degrees it was today.
Speaker 14: You know.
Speaker 6: I'm kidding.
Speaker 7: I never brag about that.
Speaker 6: You don't need to, all right, Thanks Mercedes Neil.
Speaker 4: You are up all right? Well, I uh, I didn't go as far out as Istanbul. I kept it pretty much close to home because the geographical location I've chosen for this topic is Boston, Massachusetts, a city that I've visited many times now. Boston is the capital and the most populated city in the state of Massachusetts. It covers about forty eight and a half square miles and is the cultural and financial center of the New England region. The Greater Boston Metropolitan Area is home to about four four point nine million people, making it the eleventh largest metropolitan area in the United States.
Speaker 7: Which is why it's so impossible to drive around.
Speaker 4: Oh god, yes, Well, Boston was founded by English Puritan settlers back in sixteen thirty coincidentally, the year I got my driver's license.
Speaker 13: That explains a lot.
Speaker 4: And it's been home or is the home to several historical events that happened during the American Revolution, including the Boston Massacre, the Boston Tea Party, the Battle of Bunker Hill and the legendary midnight ride of Paul Revere. Boston has gone on to become a global leader in higher education and is a national leader in scientific research, law, medicine, engineering, and business.
Speaker 6: And donuts and donuts, nuts, really Boston cream, Oh.
Speaker 4: My favorite?
Speaker 13: That was my mom's favorite.
Speaker 4: Now, this song that I've chosen to represent the city of Boston is a song called dirty Water by the band The Standel's. The Standell's were an American garage rock band from Los Angeles, California. Note the irony there, Los Angeles, not Boston. But they formed in nineteen sixty two, and they've been credited for inspiring many of the punk rock bands of the nineteen seventies. The Standell's recorded and released their biggest and most recognizable song, dirty Water, in nineteen sixty five. It was written by their producer, a man named Ed Cobb, who incidentally wrote the song Tainted Love, the Gloria Jones song that became a hit for the band Soft Cell in the nineteen eighties with its iconic opening guitar riff. The song is actually kind of a backhanded tribute to Boston. It's not exactly complimentary at all, referencing in particular that then famously polluted Charles River that runs through the city and into the Boston Harbor. According to legend, some of the song was also inspired when producer Cobb got mugged while he was in Boston, notably the line in the song about muggers and thieves. Additionally, other local references in this song include Boston University's women's curfew. They used to make all the women they had to be in their dorms at a certain hour, thus leading to the line the frustrated women happened to be in by twelve o'clock and the singer hoping that just once those doors weren't locked. Oh, of course, and has the obligatory nod to the infamous Boston strangler. Now in the end, the singer ultimately professes and confesses his affection and adoration for his hometown. So let's show Boston a little love with some dirty water by the standouts.
Speaker 2: I want to tell you a story down by the bags of the river. Chob Ah, that's what's happened to baby. But that's where you're finding.
Speaker 15: Along with lovers, buggers and things of their cooeper.
Speaker 10: But I love that Dirty Waters.
Speaker 3: Your mind, you're no. Number one leak.
Speaker 10: Frosted Winver, I mean a frustrated had to be.
Speaker 2: Yem by twelve o'clock. All that's a shame. But I'm a wall shattan.
Speaker 10: That just one dose doors.
Speaker 2: One clocks like the same time.
Speaker 5: I'm prad.
Speaker 16: But you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I stand.
Speaker 17: You.
Speaker 10: Yeah, but.
Speaker 4: I think he loves it now. Band members on this recording include drummer and lead vocalist Dick Dodd, a singing drummer from we could have used that Yeah episode here Yeah, keyboardist Larry Tamblin, Tony Valentino on guitar and harmonica, and Gary Lane on bass. Now, although Cobb received soul songwriting credit, Larry Tamblin said that the band had completely rearranged the song into what it became and they didn't get any credit for that. So that figures further in irony involving the song about Boston sung by a Los Angeles band was that dirty Water first became a hit down in Florida. That's right, breaking up, breaking out on the Orlando radio station WLFDL okay wlof in January of nineteen sixty six. Now, overall, the song peaked at number eight on the cash Box chart and hit number eleven on the Billboard Hot one hundred. Dirty Water was also the title of the band's most successful album, and that was their only nationally charting LP. Dirty Water was included on Lenny Kaye's Influential Nuggets Garage rock compilation in nineteen seventy two, and it's listed in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's five hundred Songs That Shaped rock and Roll. The song has also been traditionally played at Boston sporting events like baseball's Boston Red Sox and hockey's Boston Bruins games. But perhaps the the coolest thing about the Standels is that they appeared as themselves on The Monsters TV show in nineteen sixty five. Yes, nice, else, we're on the Monsters and it doesn't get any better than that. Yep, my book. So enclosing, let me say this that, having been born and raised here in the New York metropolitan area, Boston is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there because I love New York. Thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 6: All right, thank you, Neil. That's a good one. I suit the riff. As soon as I heard the beginning, I was like, all right, yeah, I remember that. I love that song. Yeah, and it's got the harmonica for Gale right in the middle to make sure she's everyone.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, thank you, Oh come on, yeah it was. That was a very tasteful harmonica short.
Speaker 13: Yeah, sweet, just.
Speaker 4: Like me any other any other instrument. Think about it, what it It wouldn't make sense, you know what a saxophone or you know what.
Speaker 13: That's even worse.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, you know it's the perfect the perfect choice.
Speaker 6: All right, good, thank you, Roger Rock excellent. We're going to take our first real quick break. I think, Mercedes, are you ducking out politely for something better? I guess. Thanks for joining us. Made. We'll see you next time. All right, and stick around everybody, We'll be right back.
Speaker 9: Hudson River Radio.
Speaker 6: Your dog likes us.
Speaker 7: This concludes the first part of this cassette.
Speaker 6: Please turn the cassette over and begin again on side to.
Speaker 1: This is Hudson River Radio dot Com.
Speaker 6: And welcome back, Gail. We're up to you. So where will you be taking?
Speaker 13: Well, let's see, there were so many, so many choices. I chose a song by guns n' Roses it's called Paradise City now. Guns n' Roses, as many of you may know, is an American rock band formed in Los Angeles in nineteen eighty five.
Speaker 5: I did not know.
Speaker 13: They only started in nineteen eighty five. They drew members from two other bands, La Guns, which apparently is still functioning, and Hollywood Rose, which is not. They signed with Geffen Records in nineteen eighty six. Now, the band's classic lineup features vocalist Axel Rose, who people are gonna hate me, but I honestly think he sounds a lot like Jannis Choplin. Lead guitarist Slash aka Saul Hudson is much catchier, I guess than Saul Hudson. Rhythm guitarist Isy Stradlin, bassist Duff McKagan, and drummer Stephen Adler. These all sound like names of guys I went to school with. It's like, I don't know, it might be I didn't realize how many popular songs came off of their first album. Their first album was called Appetite for Destruction and it was released on July twenty first, nineteen eighty seven. The first single called It's So Easy, which I don't even know if I've ever heard. It was released exclusively in the UK on June fifteenth, nineteen eighty seven, and that reached number eighty four on the UK Singles Chart. In the United States, their debut single from this album was Welcome to the Jungle, which is pretty well known, served as the lead single in October, accompanied by a music Feed video. There's so many songs on this album that I really really like sweet Child of Mine, which I'm addicted to. It reminds me of my pets, but that's another story. That was the second US single, and it originated as a poem axel Rose wrote for his then girlfriend Aaron Everley. It's broad appeal and heavy rotation on radio and MTV propelled it to number one on the Billboard Hot one hundred. That was the band's only chart topper. Slash later remarked, I hated that song with a huge passion for the longest time, and it turned out to be our hugest hit. Following this success of Sweet Child of Mine, Welcome to the Jungle was reissued and reached number.
Speaker 4: Seve in the US.
Speaker 13: The song I Chose Paradise City peaked at number five, and the album, Appetite for Destruction eventually reached number one on the Billboard two hundred. This album has since sold more than thirty million copies worldwide, including eighteen million in the United States, making it the best selling debut album in US history and the eleventh best selling album overall. Now Paradise City was released as a single in January nineteen eighty nine. It's the only song on the album to feature a synthesizer, and it also hit number six on the UK's Singles Chart. It peaked at number five on the Billboard Hot one hundred.
Speaker 6: And Let's have a listen, and.
Speaker 13: Then I have something funny that's got to be partially censored to say afterwards.
Speaker 3: Take Down, you know I don't have the screen and a girl?
Speaker 15: Oh yeah, yeah, tame Down's the paradise.
Speaker 2: It was the grasses, green and the girls.
Speaker 3: Don Britt and the ball not gonna say, I think I can.
Speaker 10: Certain mind they were again, why remember most the devils the Green and I haven't the singer in my name to the Dame, Save the Downs l Paradise.
Speaker 3: It was the brassiest breed of the girls. Don't Britta.
Speaker 10: All yeah, Save the Downs Paradise. It was the brassiest green of the Girl's um.
Speaker 3: Britt although you being man so far.
Speaker 15: So brass in the character to go out doesn't okay, I'm not to think your backs.
Speaker 10: Clay tags me down to the parade of the brasses brain of the Girl's Opera. Yeah, take me down to the paranda where the brasses brain of the girls up.
Speaker 13: I don't know if that do all, but I think that rocks.
Speaker 6: My neck hurts now I'm getting hold.
Speaker 1: Wait till you're my age.
Speaker 13: Slash, the guitarist, had said that that song was written in the back of a rental band as they were on their way back from playing a gig in San Francisco with the band Rock and Riders. He says that the band was drinking and playing acoustic guitars. Is that against the law?
Speaker 6: Like p guitar while drunk? No depends.
Speaker 4: For them. I think for them, I think it was mandatory.
Speaker 2: But yeah.
Speaker 6: So that's when.
Speaker 13: Slash came up with the intro. Duff McKagan and Izzy Stradlin started playing along Stash hearted s fifth Stash started humming a melody when Axel Rose saying, take me down to the Paradise City. Now keep that in mind, and what what the last word would rhyme with? Because when Axel sang the first line again, Slash shouted out, where the girls are fat and they've got big fill in the blank plural big foot.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so there were a couple of words at rhyme that I was but.
Speaker 13: I'm rose finished with take me home.
Speaker 4: That's all you need to know.
Speaker 13: Yes, Slash preferred his second line, but the rest of the Found Rented Teeth. The rest of the band felt differently. Slash was outvoted and they used the line that Axel had written. The band then expanded upon the rest of the lyrics in rounds. Finally, Slash wrapped up by coming up with the heavy riff that drives the song, and at their concerts it's usually performed last as an encore.
Speaker 6: I've never seen them live me No, I haven't either, And now I don't know how good he sounds, believe.
Speaker 4: It or not. Yeah, but I the only discrepancy I have with them, I mean they were kind of marketed. I mean, you know, sitting in a you know, in the back of a van, you know, and drinking and that's yeah, that's normal now that that that I can buy. But they were marketed as being this like like totally out of control, you know, drug addicted, alcoholic, you know, just totally street urchins, just totally a mess, and that that's rock and roll. But you don't make a record that sounds as good as that, because that record sounds phenomenal. You don't make a record that sounds that good if you're whacked out on booze and drugs. No, you make records when you're whacked out on boos and drugs like Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers. You don't sound like Guns n' Roses.
Speaker 6: I'm sorry, assuming they're the ones who played everything.
Speaker 4: True, I mean, but I'm just saying that, and I'm not I'm not putting down the record. I'm just I'm just saying that the way that they were, you know, as I said, they were marketed and people are like, yeah and no, you can't function now. And to prove the point, when one of them members, the drummer Steven Adler, did get into some serious trouble, you know, being addicted just and they threw him out of the band. So how bad, yeah, do you have to be to get thrown out of Guns and Roses for being you know on the front. Yeah, I think if you see what if you get what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think it was tough though. Went back to college, got a degree in business, was working, he was working in finance.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: And they they are the last metal like hair metal kind of band that held on before grunge pushed everything out and somehow they had longevity where others kind of faded before them.
Speaker 4: I had an album called Appetite for Self Destruction, but it never went anywhere, just kind of fell apart.
Speaker 6: Did you have to kick yourself out of the band?
Speaker 4: It just yeah, it was like, you know, self fulfilling prophecy.
Speaker 6: All right, that was a good one. All right, thanks Gail, Barbara, We're up to you.
Speaker 1: Okay. Well, so far we've heard some pretty lively tunes and I am going to kick it down a notch. And I wanted to begin by mentioning the name Epstein. Now that I have your attention, allow me to elaborate. Jerry and the Pacemakers were the second band to be signed to manager Brian Epstein, the first being, of course, The Beatles. The band formed in nineteen fifty nine and their first single was how Do You Do It? Released in nineteen sixty three and recommended to them by George Martin after the Beatles had recorded it but decided against releasing it.
Speaker 4: Wow does that recording exist anywhere?
Speaker 1: I couldn't find it, I trust me, trust may I looked, but we'll say yeah, I'd love to hear it. So the geographical theme song I chose happens to be one of my favorites. Ferry Cross the Mersey, written by Jerry Morrisden the Jerry in Jerry and the Pacemakers. It was released in nineteen sixty four and was a hit in both the US and the UK, reaching number six in the US and number eight in the UK. The title comes from the film of the same name, which starred Jerry and the Pacemakers and was considered to be their version of the Beatles A Hard Day's Night. Not surprisingly, the song Ferry Across the Mersey is an example of music known as Mersey Beat, a British popular music genre that developed around Liverpool in the nineteen fifties and early nineteen sixties. It combined influences from British and American rock and roll, RnB, skiffle, pop and music hall. So why don't we hop on the ferry and listen to Across the Mersey.
Speaker 14: Life goes on day after day, has torn in a everyway.
Speaker 16: So fairy cristin Mersey, because this lands the place side of I'm here.
Speaker 3: I'll stay.
Speaker 17: Be people they rush everywhere, be with their own secret cave.
Speaker 16: So fairy cristin Mersey, and always take me the The place is love.
Speaker 2: People around every corner.
Speaker 18: They seem to smile and say, we don't.
Speaker 2: Care what your name is.
Speaker 17: Boy, We'll never tend you.
Speaker 18: So I'll continue to say he I always will stay.
Speaker 16: So fairy cross the Mersey, because this lands the place silve I'm here, I'll stay and here I'll stay.
Speaker 5: Here, say.
Speaker 13: So.
Speaker 1: Mersey refers to the River Mersey in northwest England, which flows into the Irish Sea at Liverpool. The Mersey Ferry is a service that operates on the river, and fairies have been used on this route going back to at least the twelfth century. Regarding the song title, the word cross from the title is not a contraction of the preposition across, but instead an imperative verb, as in ferry comma cross the Mersey. The song is a love letter to Liverpool and a dedication to staying there and represents a sense of belonging and finding peace. And I just think it's a beautiful song and it sounds so sixties to me. I just love the way it sounds.
Speaker 6: San, I've always liked that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's so such a pretty sweet song, very pretty and very peaceful. All right, thank you, not like us, I know. I think we fell asleep next to pods.
Speaker 11: Could be.
Speaker 6: It's nice to relax there once in a while. All right, thanks, Barb. One more quick break and we have one more to go, so stick around because I think you're going to enjoy it.
Speaker 4: We'll be right back.
Speaker 9: Hudson Riverradio dot Com.
Speaker 2: Hudson Riverradio dot Com.
Speaker 6: All right, so I'm not going to tell you where my selection is. You'll figure that out at the end. I don't know if you guys have noticed, but recently politics is kind of a hot topic.
Speaker 2: A little bit.
Speaker 1: Did you hear the first sentence to what I said today?
Speaker 6: Fair enough? So the song we're going to talk about has found itself kind of in the middle of politics and patriotism over and over again since it came out. But there's just no way I would make it that simple. So just stick with me until the end. We start with the song God Blessed the USA, also known as Proud to Be an American, Written and sung by Lee Greenwood. The song was released in May nineteen eighty four on Greenwood's third album, You've Got a Good Love Coming, which is harder to say than it should be. And I don't know what that means, but I'm not gonna We're just gonna keep moving on. Lee Greenwood is actually Melvin. Lee Greenwood dropped the Melvin for some reason. He is now eighty three years old. He's still performing. He is from California, grew up on his grandparents farm. When his parents split up. He started singing in church at age seven, which a lot of our singers have done, and as he got older, rumors started go and especially as he made a big rumors started going around that he was a draft dodger during Vietnam and fled to Canada, which is, to his credit, not true. He did say in an interview with snopes dot Com, it angers me when I hear this. I never served in the military because I had children. At the age of seventeen, I was given the classification three A. The draft never got to that number. If it had, like my father, I would have left my wife and children for I know they would have understood to fight and die from to fight and die if necessary for my country. So I just want to put rumors to resk give credit where credit is due. He wound up skipping college and supposedly a possible baseball career to sing and perform. One source said, a possible baseball career. So I don't know how true that is. I'm guessing every kid that played the little league could have had a baseball career, so you could throw that on your resume. I don't really know how. Oh that was me, but I couldn't hit the curveball, so yeah, but it was a possible baseball career.
Speaker 4: Possible, it was possible. Not for me, me neither.
Speaker 6: He moved to Las Vegas. He worked as a blackjack dealer during the day and he sang in clubs in the evening. His style shifted towards country music, and that got him a record contract. In nineteen eighty one. He and his band were touring. They would typically play three hundred days a year, which is just insane. That is a crazy amount of traveling. Three hundred nights per year. Yeah, and he always had the urge to write a patriotic kind of song. Then on September one, nineteen eighty three, I don't know if you remember, I was a little young, but there was a Korean Airlines flight that was scheduled to fly from JFK in New York City to Soul, Korea, with a stop in Anchorage, Alaska. When the plane landed in Anchorage, when it took off again, it wound up drifting in and out of Soviet airspace twice. And this was at the height of the Cold War. The Soviets at the time were afraid of President Ronald Reagan. There were computer issues with the plane, with air traffic control, all that kind of stuff, malfunctioning equipment. Things just went wrong. The Soviet Union launched four meg fighters to intercept and they wound up shooting the plane down, killing everybody on board two hundred and sixty nine people. There were a number of Americans on board, including a congressman, And it was this event that prompted Lee to put pen to paper and write the patriotic song that he.
Speaker 4: Wanted to do.
Speaker 6: So God Bless the USA was released in May nineteen eighty four. Like I said, it was included in a film about Reagan at the nineteen eighty four Republican National Convention. He performed it at the nineteen eighty eight RNC for George Herbert Walker Bush. It became popular again in nineteen ninety during the Gulf War, so he re recorded it in nineteen ninety two. Then nine to eleven happened, and the song came back. Then in two thousand and three the invasion of Iraq when he re re re recorded it. I think I have the right number of reason there again. And it was used extensively in the last three presidential elections by the Republican Party, as I'm sure you've heard. So Greenwood has capitalized on the success of this song, and I don't blame him. If you have a hit, get what you can get out of it. I'm okay with that. But twist time, the song has been used also extensively at naturalization ceremonies where immigrants become naturalized citizens of the United States, and they would play the song something to be proud of if it's your song. But proud in quotes doesn't have monetary value. So Lee Greenwood forced the government into a settlement and he now gets seven hundred dollars per year to allow them to use the song at naturalization ceremonies, not a lot of but still that just doesn't sit well with me.
Speaker 4: I have to admit.
Speaker 6: The awkward silence.
Speaker 4: Across the panel. Proud to be a capitalist? I think exactly.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, it's such a token amount that I don't I don't get it, you know, But all right, you know what? Sure song? Is that good enough?
Speaker 13: No?
Speaker 6: Am I going to leave the story there? No, he's proud to be an American, but he's also proud to be somewhere else Canada. In nineteen eighty nine, he changed some lyrics, very very few of the lyrics to make the song about Canada, and then he would sing that version when he would tour in the Great White North. Eh, how about that? So let's hear God Bless You Canada by Lee Greenwood.
Speaker 5: If tomorrow all things well gone.
Speaker 19: Work wrong my life.
Speaker 5: And I had to start again, just my children, and.
Speaker 12: Thank my lucky stars to be living here today because the flag.
Speaker 5: Still stands for freedom and they can't take away.
Speaker 19: And I'm proud to be in Canada. Wearingly stangl I'm free, and I won't forget the men who died who gave that right to me, And I'm glady stand next to you and defend hers to today because they're a new down.
Speaker 2: I love this lave, God bless you Canada.
Speaker 5: From the shores of Nova Scotia to the forest INBC.
Speaker 12: Montreal, to win a pit from seed to shiny sea.
Speaker 3: From Detroit.
Speaker 12: We can see her above the unsay because there's bride in every Canadian heart.
Speaker 2: And it's time and stand.
Speaker 5: In sane.
Speaker 2: That ambout to be in Canada where it is nine.
Speaker 12: I'm free, and I'll both forget the men who died who gave that fight to me, and I'm glad to stand.
Speaker 2: Next to you and defend her to today us.
Speaker 20: I read no down, got the s Canada, and I'm bound to be in Canada very this time library.
Speaker 3: And I'm.
Speaker 2: Nobody who died today that right to hold meet, and I climbed these day next to you and defend her fill today. Does I read no doubt on this head, godless.
Speaker 6: I don't know how to come out of that song.
Speaker 4: So there you go.
Speaker 1: Well, I will admit that I've never met a Canadian I didn't.
Speaker 6: Like I met four of them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we know that.
Speaker 6: I know, Barbara brought it up.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 6: All the rest of them were fine, but those four.
Speaker 1: I went to college in Buffalo, and I spent every weekend in Canada. I love Canadians.
Speaker 6: Yeah, been there a bunch of times.
Speaker 4: I yeah, I had a couple of vacations there. And this is back in the eighties, so yeah, I was enjoying their you know, favorite beverage there, you know, Mulson's and all. Yeah. And we and the people that I went with had you know, they had gone there a lot, and they knew some of the people, so you know, they had their friends there. And in the morning we'd hear this very familiar like crack popish the opening of a can of beer. And we said, and we look at this, it's like eight o'clock in the morning. Oh it's it's a Canadian alarm clock.
Speaker 1: It's made from wheat, it's breakfast, it's good for you.
Speaker 4: Well, of course, when in Rome went in Canada, it passed me one of those you know, Okay, Yeah.
Speaker 6: I went to college up north. Barbarie went out west. I was north in near the Canadian border, so we would go across every once in a while. The drinking age was nineteen. I was never a big drinker, but like you could have one and be like all right, and it was cheaper because of the exchange rate. Yeah, well then you come back.
Speaker 1: The drink in Asia was eighteen when I went, and then when it changed in nineteen, I was already nineteen, so what didn't matter. And I will have to say, Niagara Falls in the middle of winter when it's frozen, is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that I've done. And oh my god, it's cold. It's just it's a different cold, but it's for the trip. Yeah, no, I remember.
Speaker 1: I remember one spring break the snow coming up to my second floor dormitory window.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 6: Wow, that's crazy. Yeah, all right, Well that's all I've got. I think, I think that's it. That was a good trip around the world. I like it, all right. And I had just enough Harmonica to get get Gail GMing, so that was good.
Speaker 1: That wasn't even planned and it worked out.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, sometimes you get lucky. All right, Well, good selections. Thank you, Crambone. So I appreciate all the effort as always, and thank you all for joining us here for the Rock and Roll History Show. Don't forget to subscribe in your favorite podcast app and check out all the other shows we do at Hudson River Radio because there really is something for everybody. We're off next week, but we'll be back in two weeks with another brand new episode, so until then, be safe, Thank you everybody, and have a great weekend.
Speaker 4: We'll see it.
Speaker 1: Rock cop Bottom and Cram.
Speaker 3: Okay, Bye bye.
Speaker 6: Hudson River Radio dot com a subsidiary of Glacier Entertainment LLC, potentially successful the multi hundred dollars corporation