Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Mo Kelly on demand from KFI A M six forty Nature with.
Speaker 2: Mark talks about pontificates about pop culture.
Speaker 3: Run and Report with Mark Ronner k.
Speaker 4: IF I AM six forty is Later with Mo Kelly. We're live on YouTube and also iHeartRadio Mark Runner with the Runner Report.
Speaker 5: All Right, I'm not gonna make you wait for it. Sinners is my favorite movie so far this year. It's only April, but this one's gonna be a tough one to beat. It's a terrific movie. It's a terrific vampire movie. It's a terrific period movie, and it's a terrific black movie. Here's a good bed at the trailer right here. It's long, but it's good.
Speaker 4: We've been going a long time.
Speaker 6: Be back man, you twins, now we cousins.
Speaker 4: There are legends of people with the gift of making music so true, making conscious spirits from the past and the future. This gift can bring fame and fortune.
Speaker 6: Will somebody tag me?
Speaker 2: But it also can piece the veil between life and dance.
Speaker 3: Listen here, this ain't no house party.
Speaker 6: Awesome you keep dancing with the devil. Careful boy, You're gonna bite off logan.
Speaker 5: You can too.
Speaker 6: One day it's going to follow you home because it's a problem.
Speaker 7: Now the hell going on?
Speaker 4: Oh we heard tale of a party.
Speaker 6: This world already left you for dead. I can save you from your faith. You don't need no saying yes you do and you are.
Speaker 4: I am your way out.
Speaker 7: Don't care.
Speaker 6: It's all better now, just.
Speaker 5: A lit.
Speaker 6: I don't believe you imagine.
Speaker 7: Ghosts do.
Speaker 6: Just powers? Somebody please take me who We're you gonna kill every laze? What are you?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 5: Did I miss a bleep there?
Speaker 7: If?
Speaker 5: So? Lucky you if you're watching on the live stream. Sinners stars Michael B. Jordan and is directed and written by his frequent partner Ryan Kugler. And right out of the gate, there's a gimmick that could have ground the whole thing to a shrieking halt and turn it into a joke. Jordan is playing twin brothers, and I kept waiting for that to get ridiculous, but it's played straight, and it's seamless enough that eventually you just settle into it and stop looking for bloopers. It's the nineteen thirties and the brothers are some sort of former gangsters returning from Chicago to their really imposed impoverished hometown in Mississippi, where a lot of their friends are still picking cotton, and the Blues is their transcendent form of entertainment if they're not in church, and I mean transcendent in ways that I'm not going to spoil. The brothers are well dressed, they're flush with cash and weapons, and they want to open their own juke joint. And it's lucky. This is decades before a Yelp, but also really extremely unlucky as well, vampire unlucky. They take their time getting there. The story's immersive in a way that reminded me of Black Panther, which is also a Kugler deal. The brothers have to assemble a team first, just like in a western or a superhero movie, and it's a great cast that includes some familiar faces and some new ones. The vampires are creepy, and they're led by a kind of a charismatic musical redneck who you heard in the trailer. It's also an R rated movie with some grown up content, and by that I mean dirty sex, which is refreshing. I keep wondering why American movies have gotten so puritanical, yet they show violence and gore that would gross out a corner with no problem about the only things I wasn't crazy about with Sinners. The dialogue was hard to understand pretty often due to what I guess was some sort of period authentic mumbling and slang. I'm gonna be one of the geezers who watches it with the subtitles on when it's available at home, and I am going to watch it again, and it almost overstays. It's welcome. It's a good two hours and seventeen minutes, and I think I could have trimmed that seventeen pretty easily. But if you're going into this, you're gonna leave feeling satisfied. And I think a little move too, especially by an epilogue. You want to make sure that you stay for or when the credits start rolling. I'm trying not to tell you too much. In fact, I would avoid the trailers for Sinners too, because some of them give too much away. Now I want to bring too waala into this twiler.
Speaker 1: There.
Speaker 5: Did you like Sinners as much as I did?
Speaker 2: I think I loved it more. I loved every single thing about this film from the beginning This film is set in a point of time and in the South when my grandmother, not my great grandmother, my grandmother was ten years old in that same period in Texas. My grandmother used to tell me stories about my great grandmother and sharecropping and farming and all that. So watching this film, it took me immediately to a place of stories that I grew up listening to and hearing my grandmother talk about. I know you and Fush couldn't see it, but there was the point of time when the film came to an end and I did everything I could to hide my face in my sweater and cry. I went to my car and cried for a good twenty minutes after because of how deeply this film touched me. This film is transcendent on a whole bunch of different levels. Beyond the good acting, beyond the good storyline, beyond the good action, the jump effects, you know, jump scares. When it needs me, this film took me to a place that I didn't think it was actually going to. I didn't think the film was going to go that deep into this storyline and into this this level of storytelling, and wow, it did, and it's haunting. It's very very haunting in what it did for me. And you missed the second end credit scene, which is actually even more of a rewarding ending when you get to that second end credits.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Wow, Yeah, there's a second end credit scene.
Speaker 5: Okay, you got to tell me about that. Off the air, I moved by it as well. In fact, I think it's kind of an instant classic. That's the first thing I thought when I left there. It's also a great looking movie, and I mentioned that it was good on all sorts of fronts as a period movie and also as a black movie. But it also did not feel like a lecture. Ever, it was entertaining from start to finish. What do you think about that?
Speaker 2: No, absolutely, there were several messages that I know were directly and pointedly for the African American artists, without saying message, without trying to preach. There was a side of the South that they were trying to show. There's a side of the South that they were highlighting that I think more filmmakers when they tell these stories, when they go into stories about the past involving African Americans, there is a type of story that Moe and I do not go and see. We do not participate with, we do not support, and those are inward. You can't do that moviees And it is when you have a movie about I don't care a team of basketball players who are from a certain part of the town and could never play basketball, but they all come together and in the end they beat that team, and it's like, oh, I guess you in words can do that. Be it pilots, be it debaters, be it swimmers, you name it. There are too many films that come out where they tell these stories and it starts with us being this thing, this pejorative, and in the end it's like, I guess we had you pejoratives all wrong.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I use the term. When you and I were just talking off the air the other day, we're talking about black movies and I mentioned that I wasn't crazy about the kind that I think are just suffering porn. Does that make sense to you?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: Yes, too many of those that just absolutely suck. This film instant classic. I mean, this is one I will watch again and again and again. It's got that level of talent behind it. It's gonna be hard to beat that film this year.
Speaker 5: Now. I haven't said fruit Vale Station but of all the Coogler movies that I have seen, I think this is the best. I think he's really come into his own as a filmmaker. And even the stuff that I wasn't crazy about, I wouldn't take out of the movie because that's his vision.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yes, I took it all and say, you know what, he wanted to put this in for a minute. He wanted to stretch the scene out for a minute, which is why I need to go back and see it again. I understood all the dialogue, and I think it's maybe just because I'm more used to hearing that level of dialogue. I was like, and then my mom thinking of myself, I wonder if everyone else knows what they're saying, because I know what they're saying.
Speaker 5: Yeah, if I had a time machine and I was transported back to then I would have been the guy going huh it was a vernacular line?
Speaker 4: Was it vernacular?
Speaker 1: It was that?
Speaker 5: And the delivery as well. Yes, yeah, well we both loved it. Foush. I don't think you loved it quite as much, but it was good. It's just I think I guess the wave was sold to me.
Speaker 7: I thought it was a little bit more like action, you know, filled a little bit, but I mean, yeah, you guys hid everything on the mark, especially the especially the having trouble understanding them for a decent amount of the film. It was kind of hard.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: They immerse you in the world so that when the action finally does happen, it feels very earned to me, if that makes sense to you. Yeah, all right, Well there's your report. Moe.
Speaker 4: You got to see this. You should have been there. I should have been there, but life was life and then gotten away. Well, I'll try to see it this weekend. K if I AM six forty live everywhere i heeartradio app and on YouTube at mister mo Kelly.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty