Speaker 1: Their exhibition games tonight taken on Cal State, LA. Okay, what time started? You're going to six o'clock? Okay, right after the show at the Big Cal Center.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, if I could real quick. There's no pressure on her to succeed, right, She's done really well. Uh do you think she has pressure on herself to succeed?
Speaker 3: I think she has constant pressure on herself in terms of expectation from herself, from herself alone, because you know, when they went to the national title game, her thought was, this is how it's going to be every year. This is our expectations, this is our goals. And they haven't come close to that.
Speaker 2: No, it's been tough. In fact, it's been the opposite.
Speaker 3: You've had players transfer in and out like a revolving door system issues, and I think you're seeing her trying to start to get back to that path.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I agree.
Speaker 1: Arizona Softball released its first Big Twelve Conference schedule. They will take on Central Florida on March sixth, and then they will finish off the season on the weekend of May first.
Speaker 3: Do you know much about you follow the softball Yeah, you know, big home games for arizonatall this year they're gonna host Oklahoma. No, Oklahoma, They're they're in the SEC. Oh god, I think Oklahoma State will be coming to Tucson for a three game series, and also Texas Tech U with Niger from Stanford coming over. Honestly, Texas Tech probably a little bit ahead of Oklahoma, I mean ahead of Arizona given that they had that our picture in the circle. But you get Tech, Oklahoma State and Texas Teck at home. That's great. Now you gotta win games.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, no, no, it's it's a good move because they don't have They used to be the Jriggernut, right. It used to be all we got Arizona. Great. Now you're talking about other schools. The Texas Tech thing is a great deal because she's fantastic. Uh so it should be fun. I've been thinking about getting tickets to go. I might not go all the time, but just to have them and maybe to go occasionally.
Speaker 3: There is no reason this year for Arizona softball not to finish in the top third of the conference or the top three yours on a softball you have the tradition this is a weaker conference than the Packwall no question about it. If you're not in the top three, people are going to start to question what's going on with the program.
Speaker 1: Okay, Takio Davis has been named a semi finalist for the Pecon Jim Thorpe Forward.
Speaker 2: Is he playing enough?
Speaker 3: I think it is.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean he's been banned up throughout the year, but when he's in there and he finishes the game, he's one of the best corners in the country, probably the best corner in Arizona's had since the Mike Stoops era. I mean he went through a lawn stretch between rich Rod and Kevin Summin where there were no great TVs at Arizona. So you know, Takario Davis last year he saw efesions probably sock getting that dB cornerback mentality back in Tucson.
Speaker 1: Arizona Women's soucker. Right, it's just soccer. They finish up the regular season and they have three players that have been named to Big Twelve Soccer All Conference Second Team. We have Nicole dallan Or Dland, Gianna Christensen and Aranda Herd.
Speaker 2: So do you know what? They finished seventh, right, and that was respectable I think because they they hadn't been as good in the past.
Speaker 3: No, they really haven't been the same Arizona soccer since Tony Amada left for Florida. So good finish prayers on a little bit easier of a conference and they're able to take advantage of it. You know, we all kind of talked about that for the non rev sports. The Big twelve is going to be a lot easier than the Back twelve and this is a golden opportunity four arison a non rev sports to take advantage. And so far do they have?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Speaking of soccer, they will start the Big Twelve Championship tomorrow in Kansas City. They're taken on Baylor. Oh, that goes through November ninth for that tournament.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay.
Speaker 1: Texans wide receiver Stefan Diggs is out for the season with a torn acl So.
Speaker 2: When they had news this morning about Diggs, I'm thinking, I guess something happened in Dallas because did you see the confrontation? Was it Digs his brother?
Speaker 3: It was all yeah, the other Digs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the defensive who was getting into the face of the reporter. Yeah, because of a tweet. That's the world we live in now, right, You write something bad about me, I'm going to confront you with it.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: And I guess back in the day they did that too, just there was no Twitter, there was no Facebook.
Speaker 5: Uh. But uh.
Speaker 2: And then the team apologized for him, and I guess later he apologized for it. You know, he did the moment stuff. But you're also getting paid millions of dollars.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm sorry. Let's be honest. It's the soft athlete era that we live in, and you see it all the time, and situations like that arise more and more each day. And at least he apologized. That's my only takeaway from that.
Speaker 2: Right. There was also the well we'll get to the USA. I don't know if you have the USC, but we'll talk about the USC team.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 1: Okay, see you switch over to the NBA seventy six yers find one hundred thousand for statements about Joel Embiid's health.
Speaker 2: Would they not being truthful with it? I think so because they're going to kind of rest him right.
Speaker 1: Load management investigation showed that the Sixers did not violate player participation policy with Embiid's miss games, but did so with the public comments that did not properly reflect his health issues with his knee.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, okay, yeah, one hundred thousand. That's like give me ten bucks.
Speaker 3: Such, well, here's a dollar fifty out of his wallet or their wallet.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Losenders, Lakers center and former Arizona Wildcat Christian Coloco has been medically cleared to play are pretty much resume basketball activities.
Speaker 2: He is he did he make the rush?
Speaker 3: He's on the Lakers.
Speaker 2: Oh great, great, great for him. He's a good kid, great kid.
Speaker 3: Very good kid, very nice guy. And the guy when you look at what he was at the beginning of his Arizona to then amazing development.
Speaker 2: Yes, free throws everything, shot blocks, no, no, And you're always pulling for those guys. You know, whether they're good or not, but you're always pulling for those guys. It's like the TJ. McConnell's. I mean, come on, I don't know if there was anybody who believed that he would make the NBA except for Sean Miller saying that he would to make it. And you're thinking, what now, it's ten years in making a ton of money.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I mean I think it shows volumes of Tommy Lloyd and his coaching staff. What they could do developing Coloco for previous staff wasn't very good. Didn't play that many minutes and then just takes off. True.
Speaker 2: True, but also he's a year or two older than what he was before. Sure you know there's a strength conditioning, you know, because he was not that guy anymore.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Rudy Gay has announced his retirement from the NBA after seventeen seasons.
Speaker 2: Rudy Gay was still in the NBA before. Have I been.
Speaker 3: You know, just at the end of a bench?
Speaker 2: H he's catching checks? Yeah? Yeah? Or was I at the end of the bench either or yeah, I was not at the end of the bench. I was getting water?
Speaker 1: So was he for a lot more money than I. I didn't realize he'd been in the league that long. Yeah, for you they play Yukon something like that, Yeah, pret the game.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I can't remember Damian al me to be the another show, but I can remember Yukon. My world suck.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, Arkansas got me?
Speaker 2: What do you your kids know?
Speaker 1: Rising star Duke Freshman Cooper flag inks the deal with Gatorade today.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm sure that's worth a ton of money. He's gonna be the number one guy, maybe.
Speaker 3: Two guys, number one pick.
Speaker 2: He'll be here in twenty so twenty three days.
Speaker 3: Maybe yeah, a second, third or fourth game three, second of November twenty second job.
Speaker 2: There's also the other kid who can shoot it. They killed the issue. The guy could miss three pointers. I don't remember the name, but he was very good. You watch that game, no, but I saw highlights. Okay. And by the way, Troy, I don't know if you know this, but in highlights, nobody ever misses.
Speaker 3: That's why they're highlights it exactly.
Speaker 1: Speaking of Duke, I don't know if you guys talked about this yesterday, but Duke in Arizona will be in a twin bill seven.
Speaker 2: Right right here. They came out a couple days ago. By the way, Uh, Gabe, Gabe, Gabe, you've been trying to call in. Give us a call in about a minute or so if you want. MLB got Game four of the World Series tonight could be over. Yankees made a little tweak to their lineup tonight. Oh if it's standing down in fifth? What happened when I played that? He got caught in between?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean they decided to send him home and it looked like, you know, god, it looked like you and me trying to run the home plate. It did not look good it. I mean, he was out by a country mile. That makes a good picture for me, so I understand it. Yeah, whoever is the third base coach made a horrible decision.
Speaker 2: Did it kill something, a rally or something.
Speaker 3: It could have scored a run, you know, cut it four to one? Oh, never mind, then they got two runs in the night. Yeah, so yeah, cold spinch. Anthony Richardson. I'm tired because he was tired on Sunday. I'm tired right now and I can't nap. You know what you should never admit to you as a quarterback, you're tired. You're tired. Just hey, I wasn't feeling good. I had to go check something out real quick, and I come back in and nobody's gonna.
Speaker 2: Question you right now. He's And it's hard to live that up. I mean, yea four years from now, Anthony Richardson, who one and one game said he was tired, Come up. You know it's always gonna be part.
Speaker 3: Of your story. Well, not not only that, but think about the defensive players out on the field when he's not doing well. Hey, maybe you should go to get some rest. You don't look right or sit down. You might be tired.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, that's all I have for today. Okay, Gabe, if you have time and give us a quick call, we'll answer the phone for sure. For sure, we'll see you guys calling in anybody we have some time. No oh, So was I gonna talk about what was going to bring all the us USC thing with with Riley and k and Riley. So I didn't realize this is how out of touchdown with locals because I thought the practices were closed for you guys. But there was a brujaha that they closed them.
Speaker 3: Early for training camp. They custom early because of reports of injuries. They didn't like it, said, they closed up training camp, but it was open for reporters on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, I believe for thirty minutes at like nine am. It still is still is to my knowledge, and then you know, you leave and you go and work on your stuff and then they have the press conference at noon. But it was open Tuesdays and Wednesdays during the season.
Speaker 2: Okay, so that's probably still happening. Lincoln Riley has closed practices at us. See, I guess it's the media's fault for them not doing well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's never Lincoln's faults.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And then you talked about his situation Oklahoma when he was there last year. Was the reporter from actually you were saying that usc Yeah, us see a couple of years of last year with the reporter in puting somebody who was not on the podium. Apparently a bad thing they took some flat when they took the creditials away, and him now just being kind of surly.
Speaker 3: You know what solves that when you win? Yeah, you win. And you know, I find it funny because you see it a lot with more modern day head coaches like Lincoln Riley that do this type of thing. Are you you younger?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But the guys that they were under Bob Stoop's you know, Nick Saban, Jim all these guys that you can name, they never had this stuff. They never dealt with this. They just went about their business. They wont to answer the questions and who cares. But so many young coaches are so worried about, well, why is he asking me this? Why is he he can't ask me? Shut up and win?
Speaker 2: Well that was one of the questions for him on the podium. I guess a week or so ago, two weeks ago or recently at least, one of the reports from LA asked one of the players, can you give me your opinion on whatever it was? And he told them, don't answer that. Don't answer that one and two h that was not a professional question. Yea, who you to determine our questions?
Speaker 3: Coaches love to control the narrative nowadays, and it doesn't do them any service. And then the long run and bite them in the butt. And so yeah, you know, like I say, win, win the games and worry about yourself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that reminds me of a little meme from the little girl who's trying to buckle up her safety built and the parents said, can help you? No, you sure worry about yourself? Are you sure I need to help you? Where about yourself? You drive?
Speaker 3: Yeah? You know, yeah, no, it's yeah, it's amazing. And you know what's funny, Yeah, that situation with Anthony Richardson where I'm too tired. Obviously not a lot of media training there, because I'm sure at Florida he wasn't allowed to talk to the media right where Floridas at Florida.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, okay, so.
Speaker 3: They probably cut them off from the media. But if you have the training, he probably doesn't answer it that way.
Speaker 2: You're you're you're talking about something that's right in my wheels because it's exactly it. And I said this a number of times since Greg Burn got here, and I'm gonna say it's greg Burn's issue. It was when he got here the corporate part of the Arizona showed up and they started doing standalones with a coach and a player or two. The open lockers were not open during Loot's time, and it kind of wigned at the end, but we had open locker room, we could talk. He treated them like like men, like NBA players and like can be and men who answered questions either smartly or not. And if they didn't, it was on them. I know Gilbert he had trouble with He had a lot of trouble with Gilbert. But Gilbert was able to speak freely and and blah blah blah and and got him into trouble every now and again, and still still does. But guess what Arizona has a boat load I should say a boat of guys who are commentating and dealing with the media because they learned a lesson of being good at what they do, how to handle the media, how to be part of the media. You know Richard Steve when he was a tn T. There's so many people, Corey now, Channing Fry, great people I dealt with. And it helps to be able to grow up and being part of the part of the media and to deal with questions.
Speaker 3: And honestly, you can look at this from a football perspective too. And again tetro O macmillan was available today and I'm not trying to knock team out. He's one of the nicest people you'll ever interview, but he's shy, so he doesn't like, you know, doing so many interviews. Well, guess what when you go into an NFL locker room, it's it's open locker room. True. You can't say, hey, I'm too shy. I can't do it any You better get used to it. Yeah, I got a lot.
Speaker 2: And isn't college about learning?
Speaker 3: Yeah? And isn't it the university's job to you help you grow? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Not anymore. It's about protect, protect, protect, baby, have a front line to protect, protect, protect, and you kind of sent A question or two was mentioned to who was asked to tmac and on the sidelines the handlers were like, don't answer that.
Speaker 3: Don't don't answer that. And he did and he handled it professionally, which how novel. You know that's what you should do.
Speaker 2: How novel? Okay, let's take a break here and come back. I think did joab brand that was your last one. I'm cheery, save it, save it. You'll be right, say, he'll be all savian. We'll come back into this side. We're gonna talk to my finger.
Speaker 7: Now. Your chance to win one thousand dollars just entered this nationwide keyword on our website.
Speaker 5: Cash.
Speaker 7: That's cash. Enter it right now, Fox Sports fourteen fifty dot com.
Speaker 8: Are you ready ready to discover your soul, your wild side, your passion, your joy and excitement. From the latest slots and table games, to award winning dining, to world class entertainment to a luxurious resort.
Speaker 2: Discover all this and more.
Speaker 8: Discover with Soul Casino del Soul, the Soul of Tucson.
Speaker 3: Are you ready enterprise so Fasco Yuki Try The window.
Speaker 9: Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Browseyisles of instock cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations, and instantly elevate your space Today. Visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for ready to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perfect wood, type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your look. Find a location near you at the window deepot dot com. The window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorato Rocky Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato rock. You found out the amount and color I needed and Bob it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work? I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Give them a call at five two zero four zero zero for two three three where do you buy exercise equipment Arizona.
Speaker 10: Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 11: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the leading edge and exercise equipment on twenty second just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 2: School and a faalse fourth season are in full stride.
Speaker 12: Time to get that special student athlete a Creative award for his or her efforts they are deserving. It's also time to rejuvenate your fall apparel with a crisp looking embroidered school corporate logo on caps.
Speaker 2: Shorts are long sleeve follows, and.
Speaker 12: Why not get some fresh looking promotional products representing your school or corporation or just giveaways for the upcoming twenty twenty five season. For over one thousand fun items to choose froom, come visit Creative Awards at Creative awardsaz dot com or see our Idea Center at two twenty eight Westrackman Street at.
Speaker 2: Nova Home loans.
Speaker 13: We believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit Voltpe team dot com. That's Volpe team dot com or call five two oh six eight five six two six today in MLS three oh eight seven arizon a b K nine two nine four two Equal Housing Opportunity, Got to Commitment to Lindrix, Syon Credit, greates and avaiable loan programs of subjects change the nut notice.
Speaker 2: Did you know?
Speaker 12: Collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking at chart or expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination. As one of the leading card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five years with as the sports cards and trading card games from rare fines to the latest releases, Showtime Cards has it all.
Speaker 2: Check them out at showtimecards dot Com.
Speaker 12: Or visit them on eat Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere truy showtime cards for their passion.
Speaker 10: On a road trip or just around town. Driving a car you can afford is more important than ever. At Pyramid Federal Credit Union, our one rate auto loan is for everyone. One rate offers a single competitive rate no matter the credit score. You can borrow better with Peerramid. For details or to apply online, visit Pyramid FCU dot com slash one rate. Pyramid Federal Credit Union is an equal opportunity lender federally insured by NCUA.
Speaker 6: Got bugs, termites, fees, or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist that's can't run or high from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which is the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Past Control get rid of your bad bugs, termites, bees, or rodents serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azpast dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 2: Want to build your business better, There's no better place than the Arizona Business Networking Conference December tenth to the twelfth at Casino del Sol. Meet thirty five premier speakers, including newa All American, Ricky Hunty, Hall of Fame coach, Mike Herea CEOs and more. Expand your professional network, explore new opportunities and learn from industry leaders. Get your tickets at Tucson Business Networking dot Com Slash Conference once again. That's at Tucson Business Networking dot Com Slash Conference.
Speaker 7: Streamy live on the iHeartRadio AB. This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to I in the Bargain Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera. He's Troy Hutches, Sam. You got Ryan at the controls. I just talked to Mike. Something came up just at the last second, so he might be with us at about the four to forty hour after this segment, so we have time to take some calls. Five two zero four one six seventy four to forty Gabe, if you're ready to call back, we're ready for you. We know you've been trying to get in here. Anybody else two five two zero, four, one, seventy four, forty. Uh, talk about what we've been talking about. You have some kind of cool news or strange news or whatever kind of news you got.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, uh, recruiting National Signing Days around the corner and Arizona football. They have a decent recruiting class coming in. But as you go through a season like this where there's high expectations and low output at three and five, you're gonna have some issues some of those players. And Robert McDaniel, who is a three star recruit on rivals dot com, may be going to be a four star recruit when everything's said and done out of even in California if I can talk correctly. But you know, a high profile quarterback that decommitted from cal and committed to Arizona is kind of like the crown jewel of this recruiting class. Three star, three star, Yeah, crown jewel because of what he could be. I'm saying he might be a four star kid by the end of this.
Speaker 2: I should be a five star dude. I'm a good guy. Well that's what I could be.
Speaker 3: But I mean, if you have a quarterback that you love, I always think the quarterback of a yeah, you know, classes okay, but anyway, my point is, please get to it. He is going to be getting an offer from Florida and he will be taking a visit, most likely to Gainesville, Florida.
Speaker 2: Didn't you say that he was done with his visit.
Speaker 3: That's what he said beforehand. And now all of a sudden, this Florida offer comes up, and now it's more and more likely he will be taking a visit to Florida. So when you're losing, yeah, that doesn't go right.
Speaker 2: You don't have money to take the girl on a date gets go, the date goes somewhere else.
Speaker 3: But you know, I mean, that's the way the world of recruiting, especially.
Speaker 2: I hated it. That's why I hated it, because you know, yes on a Thursday, on a Friday, well, let me think about it, percent committed.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, and we have had Coach Lopez on here a few times, and I love the man. He One of the reasons he got out of the business was the flip flopping or the the what did he call it at the time. It was not flip flopping but decommitting, but it was a different word, and that happened a lot or every now and again, and enough to you know, say, I don't need to deal with this. I'm chasing thirteen fourteen year old kids asking him to come to play for me, and then I then I get to know or whatever. Really I won't to spend my time doing that.
Speaker 3: But I mean in this case, you know, you're giving a new coaching staff a chance at Arizona, and hey, I'm locked in, and then you're seeing how the season plays out.
Speaker 2: So so you weren't here when rich Rod went to the festival, No, in twenty fourteen, you were like two years old.
Speaker 3: Not that young, but yeah, two years old.
Speaker 2: So one of the things and I covered it for Fox back then I thought, Okay, they did really well, Right, he's got to he's gonna hit this, he's gonna capitalize, he gonna hit this one out of the park. And he didn't the next year for whatever reasons in Okayge's, Okayg's but blah blah. But it didn't happen. And how do they How could they have dropped the ball there when they had a lot of in the program. And now Jed created what he created, Now Brennan did what he did with it. There's no there's no oof no.
Speaker 3: And you know what, coming into this season, a lot of the top recruits and top guys across the country. Yeah, they liked what Arizona has done in the past with Jetfish and that coaching staff. But for them it was a let's see what Brett Brennan can do. We like Brett Brennan as a person, but let's see what he could do as a Power five head coach.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and who doesn't like him as a person because he is a good guy. But I've also said that good guys don't do good coaching.
Speaker 3: At Alonzo Carter. Everybody knows Coach Carter on the recruiting show. They all love Coach Carter. You're at a Power five program now, now they could start coming to you, but they got to see what you can do in terms of development.
Speaker 2: Sure, uh, there's that. So so jed here made his mark as a head coach, came in, did a good job? Is his And I'm asking I'm curious, not because I want to bring his name up. So did he bring his recruiting chops or take his recruiting chops to Washington at a what's perceived to be a better school.
Speaker 3: I think he did. I think he'll be able to recruit there at a high level and develop players, and you know, it's a process. I don't think anybody thought they were going to be a Bowl team this season. I know they're on kind of the cuffs of it.
Speaker 2: So you you and you and what I enlighten me maybe two months ago, which chalk the crap out of me. I hope I don't have to hit the cusbund about you know, players not being paid or getting you know, promises, the adults promises. And I'm thinking that, Okay, you know, nice story, guys, And then it happens that you know me right, and then it happens probably other places that if it happens one place, that's happened in other places that don't become public. And I'm thinking those two dudes got were right. I'm surprised. I'm not surprised you got right, but I was surprised that the story even came out. But and then then you have a fish and those guys saying, well, that's a twenty million dollar program. That's a twenty million dollar program, right Ohio state versus Oregon? Yeah, yeah, pay give me an estimated what kep program is there. So if they're twenty million, man, this is big lots.
Speaker 3: Five million, four million, maybe, yeah, I mean you're looking at big lots maybe dollar three in comparison too, arias under the Oregon. Holy crap, it's a big difference. It's a big difference in terms of money that they're able to fight with on their new trail for Arizona football compared to what Oregon in Ohio State Alabama.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you know you're giving four million, five billion, let's say eight million just just because, just because, Or let's go with your five million. Okay, you've paid that and now you've bought what you bought and this is what you got.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you know I do again, I agree with a lot of people. I do think the talent is there on the roster. You gotta have a coaching staff, you can have players.
Speaker 2: No, no, that's not my point. My point is, Okay, you and me, we were part of the collective or whatever you give, and we've done all this money.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, then why am I going to do it again?
Speaker 2: Exactly? Why am I going to reach it?
Speaker 3: Doin?
Speaker 2: I already paid you guys a lot of money. This is what I got for it. But you can ask me again.
Speaker 3: But see, isn't that the difference between Oregon Boosters and Arizona Boosters. Organ boosters, we will throw money out the problem to fix the problem. We want this problem fixed. We want to be good at football. Arizona Boosters, it didn't work out so well.
Speaker 2: I only have so much So do you care? So I already have so much money to throw therapy at it?
Speaker 3: Do you care? Though? No? I don't. My point is I don't think Arizona Boosters alumni care as much about football like other power football programs.
Speaker 2: No, no, because they haven't seen it. They haven't seen it maybe after years of success and they said, we got to keep this thing going.
Speaker 3: Okay, But for Oregon, I mean before the nineteen nineties, they're the laughing so sh of the Pac ten. What changed till Night and Night? Yeah right, that changed everything for them? Sure, sure, at least at least in football, not in basketball, but for football. Yeah yeah, yeah, we just had that one dude, that one booster.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course in Arizona has it has a booster or two, but it's not to that extreme, not not to that, but nobody really has that booster.
Speaker 3: I think a lot of people stay. Maybe Sexas Alabama. I think they have boosters that are passionate. Sure maybe not Phil Nice. Yeah, that's a rare find. I mean Texas. I mean they're giving recruits and newcomers Lamborghini's when they signed one.
Speaker 2: So yeah, no, that's yeah, that's them, that's them, and that's what they are. Arizona want to compete, I say, good luck.
Speaker 3: Yeah, find a way to be consistent eight and fourteen.
Speaker 2: And how can I say this is coaching them up, coaching them up. And you know that's and that was the Dick Tomy way. If there's anything that he did really really well. Uh and then Temmy Lloyd too. They coach him up. They developed them and they become pretty good players.
Speaker 3: And you know what, to Jed's credit, I know he's not a popular guy here in Tucson, but he figured out what the recruiting plan should be, which was the Polynesian pipeline and bringing that back to Tucson, developing them, coaching them up, and creating depth within the program. That's the key there is on it right right right, and don't screw it up. Yeah, and just play football.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, write that down. We write a book about it. How to make schools success.
Speaker 3: I want a coaching contract, not for developing players.
Speaker 2: Hey, dude, you're a big lots dude, you're a big loss. Twenty five bucks an hour, A little more than that, a little more a free car. Now we're talking, we're getting in the range. You gotta pay the insurance on that. Okay, anybody else could get a call. We got about I don't know, seven minutes maybe and we can hopefully maybe Mike will come on. He's kind of gotta kind of maybe put it at a fire or two and he might be back on the other side, so we might have two segments to where you can go.
Speaker 3: Now, the opposite of that, you know, we talked about the football program and where they they're the big lots of anil and whatnot. Basketball program. They have the money for basketball, they do. That's something different. Do tell Well, I'm just saying I think they're in a better financial position basketball wise than they are football wise. Well, because you saw Caleb Love come back, You're not leaving them for no reason.
Speaker 2: So well, because he will, you come back because no one wants you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but still you still have other nil opportunities. They had to get you something. You know that for a fact, not for a fact, not for a fact. The journalism world. Yes, just because you say it doesn't mean it's happening, mister x about for sure, I'm giving you grief.
Speaker 2: But you know, I know you are because you can assume that. And and Tommy might have it made because there's a bunch of international players so you can't really pay them until after the fact.
Speaker 3: And to me, does Tommy strike you as a coach like a Cali party that wants to play, then, I don't know. I don't think he does.
Speaker 2: He is exactly and he said that publicly a few times. I did a story on him last year. He doesn't. They don't want to become that school where okay, how much do you need and how much do you want? They don't want to become that. Now he could be blowing smoke too, but I think I really believe him. If you want to be developed, this is the place to do it well. And and you look at the development, you look at what they brought in the transfer portal. Everybody freaked out when they lost all those recruits during the off season, the one guard going to ASU, the other one going to ore again. Okay, do I want a freshman that I got to teach and develop or do I want Caleb Love back?
Speaker 3: Or do I want to get.
Speaker 2: No? No, no, you of course you are exactly right. You know I don't want to deal with I don't have to deal with that. I can get somebody in who wants to be here, isn't worried about the money. And and last night I was watching the game, or maybe it was last week, and I thinking, and I'm sure that they've already done the story. How brilliant he's done purposely probably about putting this team together because it has all the right pieces. And he's not a lot though. I mean, Sean left him some pretty good players, but he did that last year. Where kind of pieces fit? You have Townsend who does what he does. He's a big, kind of white body. Uh, the big guy u aaka a waka who's big, perfect for the Big twelve, perfect for the Big twelve. We haven't seen Kreebas who will fit right in. Henry, who I think is gonna have a great year. Uh does what he does Stretch five, which we haven't even talked about. I really like him if he's not being a dummy for getting technical last night because he could shoot it and it's a it's a it's a quick release. You know, he doesn't set up, he just boom. It's a he he hit one of those shots last night. He just got it shot at boom. It was good. Uh. And Arizona hasn't had that dude in a long time.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: And he's gonna come off the bands seventh or eighth guy off.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 2: And then they have just the pieces fit, the pieces fit and and and that's what made Loot good because he had guys that fit positions and understood the roles.
Speaker 3: I mean that's the key to basketball right there is you know what, you can have all the five s hard recruits in the world, the top five kids. I want guys that know how to play with each other.
Speaker 2: Well, money, haven't you seen that before? You had five stars here?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I think Elite eight?
Speaker 2: Right? Was that good enough?
Speaker 3: No? No, no, not at all.
Speaker 2: You can't You can't buy Maybe you can buy your success. But last time I checked, Cali Party hasn't done well over the last day.
Speaker 3: One title and that's it. And it took a historically great player in Anthony Davis win the title.
Speaker 2: Now, he said, Arkansas making a ton of money. We'll see how that goes.
Speaker 3: He'll be good there. Yeah, yeah, good. What does good means? Yeah? What's the makes that mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Duke was pretty good last year. There was whe went in there and beat them, and then they didn't do well either on the in the turn Coach k hadn't done really well in the final ten.
Speaker 3: National Championship runner up a couple of years ago with Cale.
Speaker 2: Ab love right and didn't do that horrible year of the years.
Speaker 3: And now the fan base is wondering, is see the right coach for the job.
Speaker 2: There's no real trick to this except that you have to have guys that play well together.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just right. It's it's a big finding that combination of chemistry. And you know what, when you look at the roster and you look at a guy like Cardi Bryant, who is highly thought of it is going to be an NBA guy. Every time he talk to him, he talks about, well, I'm learning from this, dude, I'm taking notes from this year. I'm in the weight room, I'm doing this. I wanted to come to Arizona for this.
Speaker 12: This and this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the type of ive star. You want right well, and you talk about chemistry and all and all that the pieces fit. There's a reason why good marriages last a long time. There's got to be that chemistry and that that sacrifice if you will the give, the give right right right now.
Speaker 2: Uh, that's what I'm divorced.
Speaker 3: Are you the five star?
Speaker 2: I'm like Dallas, I have a one star? So maybe have two of you? Count the ones on the helmet, one and two. It's not a fool anybody. Let's let's take a break, right here's a time. Maybe we'll hear from by like fad or maybe maybe not. Maybe it takes some calls. You're an Arizona men's basketball fan. You know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now take a look back at the Ludelsen era. In my new book, Lessons from Loot, it was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches, and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from Lut is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. Want one Email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 14: Hi, this is formal Wildcat Leman huntly with Arizona Health imagine how home GM can change your health, your comfort, and your time. Arizona Health is everything you need to transform your personal space.
Speaker 5: And your life.
Speaker 14: We off a complete line of cardio machines, multi gyms, in freeway equipment. I'll certify fitness experts and technicians will set you up with the right equipment and training to get you started and to keep you going. Visit our share room today at twenty second in Wilmot. Arizona Health the lead to age and exercise equipment.
Speaker 4: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make Someday today and.
Speaker 3: Reach your goals affordably on your schedule.
Speaker 4: With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial laid available, it's time to earn the degreer certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you learn how at PMA dot edu slash someday.
Speaker 2: Hey Tuson, Steve rivera heir, and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmond Markets All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to say call them today and score big on your insurance. With the Edmond Markets All State Agency, You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen Nork Campbell or call them at five two zero three two three nine three three three. Selling your home? Want to get more money for it? Will Danny Roth can help you? He told me about is You Flip the Home you Own program. The program allows for a homeowner to fix up their home to sell without using any of their own money. They will be able to sell the home for a much higher price. Danny Roth with Omni Holmes International is the real estate consultant in Tucson that offers this program. He has consistently been the top agent in Tucson for the last thirty years and has sold over ten thousand, five hundred homes. For more information on this program or just buying our selling a home, oh Danny Roth at five two zero four nine zero four thousand, Tucson.
Speaker 3: Listen up.
Speaker 15: El Tourtay two Son is rolling in on November twenty third, and you won't want to miss it. Dnahair Conditioning is proud to be a sponsor of this fantastic event, supporting our cyclists and celebrating.
Speaker 3: The vibrant spirit of our community.
Speaker 15: Huge thanks to our title sponsor Banner University Medicine and are presenting sponsors Rio Nuevo and TMC Health for making this possible. So are you ready to ride? Grab your bikes and your buddies. Join DNHAC for an unforgettable day at the el Toourty Tuson. For more info, check out el toour Day two Son dot org.
Speaker 7: Streamy live on the Ihearts Radio WAT. This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifteen.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to Eye on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera et with me today. Troy Hutchinson, Goysycats Ryan at the board. Now we have Mike Fader. I wasn't sure what to put as your title because this isn't the Mexican Baseball Baseball Fiesta.
Speaker 3: What is this?
Speaker 5: Well, at the Mexican Baseball Fiesta is putting on this event?
Speaker 2: Okay, So so I'm still the.
Speaker 5: President of the Mexican Baseball Festa, and this is one of the same as the Fiesta, except much better baseball because this is now the regular season as opposed to training camp or as spring training, whatever it's We're excited. I mean, we've heard the level of play is much better than our fans have seen here in the thirteen years of the Fiesta.
Speaker 2: So are you going to have better baseball with everything still there?
Speaker 5: Yes? Uh, you know, we're still gonna have the crazy music all the time. We're gonna have authentic Mexican food. We're gonna you know, a lot of vendors.
Speaker 15: Uh.
Speaker 5: And you know, the music is really what makes us right. The only difference is for the Fiesta, we we actually start some bands late in games. This is a regular season game. Any music we have will have to wait till the end of the game, and it is a nine any game, and we've got two really good performers, uh Cheueye Vega Junior. The Vega family is well known in the music industry. That's Friday Night. And then we've got uh La Kanya, which is a big act from over Going UH that are gonna be performing following the game Sunday. Uh. And we're actually gonna do something a little crazier. We're gonna have those bands playing before the games as well.
Speaker 2: Okay, So so you said they played before and they played after, So the craziness during game is not there.
Speaker 5: No, it is there. The music. The only time the music will stop is when the picture goes into the stretch.
Speaker 2: Okay, so that's kind of in house music. That's kind of like the yeah yeah, okay, okay, yeah.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 2: You I think the last time we spoke, or maybe before that, you said that this was still a possibility. You were hoping to pull this off, right, Is that right?
Speaker 3: Right? So?
Speaker 2: What madeed?
Speaker 12: What?
Speaker 2: How did it work? How did this happen?
Speaker 7: Well?
Speaker 5: Money, uh that that usually gets something done. But we we paid the Overgoing team, the Yankeys, so much money per day to get this series moved. So it was it was an important venue on our venture, on our part. Uh and and they they agreed to do it. This was supposed to occur if you remember two years ago, and then things get all screwed up TV wise, uh and and they had to cancel it. But h I think all the games are on TV and on YouTube on YouTube. Uh, they're gonna have They're gonna carry all the games in the Mexican Winter League all season.
Speaker 3: Mike, for you, you know, you mentioned that this was supposed to happen two years ago, and you guys are getting to this moment and getting everything you know, collaborative and getting everything together. So how does it feel for you to have this moment come in and get everything organized and have have this moment coming out.
Speaker 5: I think it's very meaningful. Uh, only because we're now under the byglass. I mean we Uh. The league is looking at Tucson as a potential full time regular season site, possibly as early as next year. Uh, but it's gonna really be contingent upon us having a really good turnout and full disclosure. I mean, I think Steve knows me well. I don't usually sugarcoat things. Uh. Ticket sales are not good right now, and if we could really get a crowd out there, and we know that our fans are last minute fans, and I think with the entertainment, the quality of baseball, we think it's going to definitely pick up. But for the league to move a team here, they have to know that we could support it, because the Mexican Winter League, a lot of the cities are drawing five to six eight ten thousand people per game.
Speaker 2: So a couple quick questions, so what level of baseball would this be the United States? One and two? The ticket sales, it seems like it would be if they go to the Mexican Baseball Fiesta and it's similar, if not better. What's the catch? I mean, why not go?
Speaker 5: I wish I knew the answer to that. I think what's happened is they're used to the Fiesta being the first week in October. They know to expect it.
Speaker 6: You know, this was.
Speaker 5: Something that a lot of them didn't find out till three four weeks ago, And we're really trying really hard through Hispanic media and trying to get the word out. So no, this one has been a mystery to me right now. And I'm usually not fooled by a lot of things. But this one, I'm scratching my head on.
Speaker 3: Steve.
Speaker 5: If I could say one thing talking about the level of play. I know you're a longtime U of A fan. Alex Mahea, I mean you know that name. Alex Mahea was part of the twenty twelve championship team for the U of A Arizona Wildcat. He's going to be playing for MEXICALI and he's excited. He's already got interviews lined up with Michael lev He's he's going to be doing a zoom call with TV Nami Alameda, and it's really excited about coming back to Tucson. Another name, which I know you know, is Carlos Martinez. Carlos Martinez has pitched nine years in the big leagues, two years, two times. He's been the Major League All Star Team. Poor guy's only made fifty two million dollars in his career, so I guess that shows that he's probably a pretty good player, right, Yeah, he's coming. Carl Edwards Junior, the real skinny reliever to pitch for the Cubs. He's on the overgone team. And then Lewis Sessa. I don't know if you remember that name. He pitched eight years in the big leagues with the Yankees and Cincinnati Reds. So those guys didn't pitch in the Mexican Baseball Fiesta or didn't play were they're now playing in this and and this game's count. I mean, this is the first time ever in the history of the Mexican Winner League that a regular season series has been played outside the country of Mexico, which and we think, we think that's a big deal historically.
Speaker 2: So before I want, let me throw this out to you so we'll forget right. So Ryan covered, Ryan covered the Mexican Baseball Fiesta right, first time. You didn't have a clue you were going to see, right, So here's your endorsement. What did you see, Ryan? It was a lot of fun. I mean, the constant music was definitely a change. Yeah, you know up to the picture throwing it. That was a change.
Speaker 1: That was It was interesting just to see just to see a different kind of baseball, interesting in a good way, in a.
Speaker 2: Good way, you know it.
Speaker 5: It was like me, well, but the funny thing to start to interrupt state and you and I have talked about this. Chip Pyle loves it for that reason. Chip pal is a long time major League manager, coach, player, his players. He said, look forward to this so much because it just creates another element, uh, and energy in the stadium. And and and I think, right, you know he's talking about that's where we're after.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, no question. When I saw it for the first time, what it was it seven eight years ago, I'm thinking, what a concept to n Why don't they do that in the States. Obviously it's kind of distracting, but but if you're gonna go and you're gonna watch a game, and and and we all know that people think baseball is a little boring because it's slow, but that makes it not boring.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I would have to agree with you. Yeah, I mean it's and it's not for everybody, no, man, I gotta tell you that. I mean, if you're a traditional baseball fan and like the cerebral part of the game, and those things still occur, but it's you're not quiet. I mean, that's that's for sure.
Speaker 2: So they're just tremendous energy. So in terms of bringing this to the United States, Uh, that must be a lord to our Will people from Mexico be in town to watch or do they have the fans that would do that?
Speaker 5: Yes, we said, well, you've been the games, so I mean a lot of times the Airmalt zero fans. Uh. You can see their orange jerseys and orange hats. The Yakis are second. The Akis are second in popularity with their blue jerseys and hats and merchandise, and we think that's gonna be a really big deal because they are a popular team. But we do expect some people from south of the border on the weekend, especially this weekend is the Day of the Dead and there's a lot of activities going on that people want to travel. So we hope those are the type of fans that aren't buying tickets in advance, but we'll buy them when they get to the stadium.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, so tell me the days and the circumstances, particular prices and stuff like that.
Speaker 5: Okay, Friday, Saturday and Sunday of this week, Friday's game seven ten, Saturday's game six to Tendunday's game five ten. Tickets are on sale at Mexican Baseballfiesta dot com or they can go to Keino Stadium. We open at ten o'clock and we're opening from ten to five on Wednesday and Thursday, and then ten o'clock on Friday, all the way through the start of the game.
Speaker 2: So guys like I think it's Felipe Garcia, right, Guys like that must really be pulling for you, because if the does work, they could return.
Speaker 5: Right. Well, Felipe Garcia, for those people that don't know, is the is the president of Vamos Tucson and Visit Tucson. Uh And and he's really they've been a big sponsor with us since day one, thirteen years ago. So yes, he definitely wants this because if you can imagine the travel from visiting teams coming to town and all the money they'd be spending.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 5: So he's a big proponent of what we're trying to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no question. And and because this town, you know, since since you've left the business of baseball, or not left, but headly because of the circumstances of the teams leaving, this could be maybe the return. If it's all succeeds or whatever.
Speaker 5: That's our hope. I mean, if we put on a good show this weekend, uh this we're going to be a full time team. Uh And that's yet to be determined. I mean, we have to earn it. It's just not going to be given to us. And that's where we are right now.
Speaker 2: So what would be well, what would be the season. Let's assume it it passes Muster and you're able to do it.
Speaker 5: Well, the season would go the second week in October all the way through the first of the beginning of January. Then then the playoffs start, and then the Caribbean World Series, which is going to be in Mexicaliti this year, will take place. So it's it's a I believe it's a sixty two game season, so it there'd be thirty one home games.
Speaker 2: Nice, and so that's some possibility during a time when when the weather would be okay, I guess, okay, you know outside of the no, okay, and real quick, because I don't know if you answered it or I didn't hear. The caliber? What level? Double a'smy?
Speaker 5: No, much higher than double A. I mean, I would say midway between Triple A and fringe major League. When you look at the rosters of these teams, there's a tremendous amount of Triple A players along with some of the former major league players. I've told you you know that I mentioned already. Uh So I I think it's it's big leagues. No is a triple A. It's probably comparable, maybe a touch better in some cases. You know, a lot of the players are just players that never leave Mexico that nobody knows about. Still, that doesn't mean it's not a good caliber of baseball.
Speaker 2: Right, No, no question. Should be a lot of fun. Okay, So go to Mexican Baseball, Yessa, google.
Speaker 5: That and dot dot com our facebook page Mexican Baseball. Yesa, there's a lot of stuff about the entertainment and and what's going on. So we just encourage people to check it out, even if it's just one game. Say what it's all about?
Speaker 2: Okay, no, super thanks congrats. I hope it get pulled off. So maybe they have baseball here at some form here in town.
Speaker 5: Well look at you. You've done such a good job of promoting this. I got a text during our interview from Javier Morales saying, hey, could could I get with him on more information so we could write about it. Thank you Steve for having me on.
Speaker 2: Yes, we'll have you never sleep so he'll do that right now. Thank you, Thank you.
Speaker 5: There we go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks Mike, all right, like you guys. Yeah, thanks a bunch. Yeah, No, it's it's fun if you if you like baseball and you have you know, you have some kids or whatever.
Speaker 3: It's good baseball and probably a cheaper option going to Mexican Baseball League then trying to get U of A tickets for Arizona Duke or something like that, because you never alternative option.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's a little different, but yes, because the duke tickets are like in the thousands for sure. Yeah no, but it's Ryan who didn't have a clue about it, right, Yeah, give me a scale one to ten, honestly ten because of just I mean, it's just it's an experience, like you need to if you're a baseball fan.
Speaker 3: Did you just do it?
Speaker 1: You did it the once or twice or how did you do? I just did the U of a game. But I was there for the game before that. I got to watch the game. So what did you think when you got there? Like, what the hell are you doing? It's like, was there a concert going on right right? And there was just like the actually had concerts like in left field and right field, like during the game, so people were out there dancing, sure during the game, and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh there's a baseball game too. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I think you mentioned like they have like authentic food but there instead of like you know, hot dogs and traditional you know baseball. Yeah no, no, no, good luck. I might go get a really experience it from the stands the fan. You can sit down and take in the site. Yeah, and there's some pretty good sights in the stands.
Speaker 2: Just definitely. What do you think it's foul balls?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, a lot of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, just a good line there, good line, Thank you much, street we got here, okay, cool, Yeah, good show today. It is a lot of fun.
Speaker 3: I watch.
Speaker 2: We've got two minute Okay, good show. Thanks Troy.
Speaker 3: That's great.
Speaker 2: If we could just get your name spells right on the graphic, we would have been okay. Oh I didn't even recognize that. I wasn't going to say anything, but wow, it's okay. It wasn't It doesn't mean I don't do graphic because I got it right Hutcheson Hutchinson. But we'll know next time you come in. Thanks Ryan, you know this is it. I want to cry. You have a napkin or something.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, thanks for all your help the last six months. I hope you learned somebody like dealing with me. Man, you got to be a well yes, married you did learn something. You did learn something. Thank you, don't try to do it. No, no, you did. You did really well on this thing. And we moved from one station to the other. You got it over there, you got over here. If you ever return to the business, at least you know this. And you were kind of more vocal to you were not. You know, I was very shy. No, no, no, because this is not a shy business. This is if you want to do whatever you want right, I'm sure to speak up. You got to speak up because you know what, there's somebody else going to bite your ass to get the job.
Speaker 3: Somebody will speak for you, not for you, but right know, to do the same same questions you want right.
Speaker 1: I learned that in my first high school football game doing the interviews. I had to just like had to go for it.
Speaker 2: You had to. If you want the answers, you got to ask the questions.
Speaker 3: I'll never forget my first interview postgame was with Coach Andra, and I sat there all nervous, you know, growing up here in two sons, Coach Andra, and You're like, you're not going to get what you want and you're if you're just like to yourself, you gotta be out of the bubble.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, right, because guess what, there's thousands like you kids that wanted the job and they know already that that's the case. You have to be aggressive, right, Yeah, we can't. We go go. Good luck to you everybody, Thanks for listening.