Speaker 1: Thanks for starting your day with us. It's the Sandy Show on Austin's eighty station. One o three point one, one thousand dollars could be yours at nine o'clock.
Speaker 2: Be ready to when it's coming up.
Speaker 1: As we move along at a high rate of speed, try to keep up. People moving pretty fast here, live pretty fast here on the Sandy Show. If you've missed anything first part of the show, grab the podcast version.
Speaker 2: We make it available every day.
Speaker 1: Just search The Sandy Show where you get podcasts.
Speaker 3: Shot Bugpies. All right.
Speaker 4: A Brinks armored truck was traveling on South Austin Boulevard in Oak Park, Illinois.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 4: Driving along had an unexpected problem when it's back doors opened, causing three bags full of.
Speaker 3: Cash to fall out onto the roadway.
Speaker 2: Wait a minute, you say the back door just.
Speaker 4: Flung open an armored truck. The whole point of an armored truck in the arm the guards who go around picking up the money from all the different locations, is security. Right, Things locked up tight so other people can't get to him. Somebody in this truck forgot to close the door all the way to the armored trucks. Witnesses reported that between fifty and one hundred people jumped out of their cars, ran out into the street, grabbing the money, fleeing the scene on foot in cars finders keepers finders. A total of about three hundred thousand dollars was taken.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: Yeah, here's the thing, though, those people will be caught as soon as they start spending that money.
Speaker 3: All of that money is marked right like this.
Speaker 4: The the serial numbers are my thinking of, like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, these are the most we've heard. Most are armored. I think I've never driven an armored truck, but a lot of them are picking up money from places, and so that's not marked.
Speaker 2: That's just money that's come in.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 4: But I feel like I've done these stories in the past where they're like you will be caught.
Speaker 1: This story reminds me. I don't know when this happened. I just saw the Instagram video. It was in Jamaica and a container had fallen off of a ship and it was full of frozen chickens. So all the people and it washed ashore. Oh and so.
Speaker 4: All the people were getting frozen chickens.
Speaker 3: Chickens.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So if you're driving along and the armored truck in front of you bags of cash start falling out.
Speaker 3: Are you stopping and getting out and grabbing some and driving on?
Speaker 2: Am I on a busy highway? Where am I? You a neighborhood?
Speaker 4: You would safely be able to retrieve the money. It's a moral question, not a security I wouldn't because that just means a headache. It means the stress of having the stolen money.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't. I don't need it that bad, I really don't. I would just keep driving because it's just a hassle. People are going to be knocking on your door, yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: No, too many cameras around. People are going to see you your license plate.
Speaker 1: How about the truck though not having some sort of no notification in the dashboard that says.
Speaker 2: Whip your back door is open? Your back door's open.
Speaker 3: Whole point of.
Speaker 4: The guards in the truck or to lock the stuff up and keep it safe, and you accidentally leave the door unlocked or open.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh, somebody got fired.
Speaker 2: Oh I'm sure.
Speaker 1: Sure, I'm sure that in the training videos that they watched online to be an armored truck driver, something said secure the.
Speaker 3: Backbor, something said you got to lock these doors. Yes, something we're gonna give you this gun too.
Speaker 4: We want to make sure the money's secure, locking the doorstep one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it'll be fun story to follow to see if I have any of the money actually makes it back right wherever it was.
Speaker 2: Who knows.
Speaker 1: Think about this, friends, at what age? What age do you think that your bad habits from your youth, like smoking, drinking, and not exercising start to trigger health problems? Think you're gonna be a little surprised, because I bet you everybody is thinking over fifty.
Speaker 3: Wrong, absolutely wrong.
Speaker 4: I know the day mine started, yes really, but it was still later than what this number is.
Speaker 2: All right, So thirty six is the number.
Speaker 3: Thirty six?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's when the bad habits of smoking, drinking, not an working out thirty six years old. They tracked hundreds of kids born in nineteen fifty nine until they were sixty one years old, and they found out those who on the regular smoked, boozed, and lounged around in their younger years ended up sicker and more depressed.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 4: I'm just saying, think about when you and I were thirty six. I think you and I were dating when we were thirty six. No, kids, get no, still doing all the things, doing all the things in my thirties that I also did in my twenties, but doing them better in my thirties.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: I was really drinking a lot at thirty six. A lot.
Speaker 4: You were either too good at it or too bad at it. We're not sure which way that breaks.
Speaker 1: No, But yeah, thirty six, that seems pretty young to start filling their facts like ken you. But I guess you can turn it around with regular exercise after that.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, it's amazing how quickly exercise can fix things. Thirty six, I would say, always in my prime.
Speaker 2: Yeah, here's what thirty six researchers say.
Speaker 1: Findings highlight the importance of tackling risky health behaviors as early as possible to prevent damage from building up over the years.
Speaker 4: Mm hmm, I say, but live a life, live a life and have fun. But again, the word moderation. Eugh, that stupid word moderation. Kinsucky that we'll let you eat pie.
Speaker 3: For dessert every single day. Yeah, stupid moderation.
Speaker 4: I think it's they It's not saying you can't do any of the fun things to be healthy, just can't you have to do some of the healthy things.
Speaker 1: I to be healthy, great pleasure. And I think you do this too. The other day. So I've been on this fitness kick and I've lost almost twenty five pounds, and I got some Easter candy, right, and I just took a little tiny handful of eminem's, not even a full handful, just a palm full, and I just ate those and that was.
Speaker 3: It, and that's it. That was it, like you and your chocolate chips, dude, I do that each night.
Speaker 4: My Easter basket is still in my room and I still have like five eggs with candy.
Speaker 3: Now I will see do I I'm just saying I had maybe.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're saying, then you got riddy easter basket and eat and you're saying you portion it. You treat yourself a little bit each night. Yeah, I have like ya six and I ate them. Those eminems. They were not peanut, which is kind of disappointing.
Speaker 3: I know that's said.
Speaker 2: And I just ate one at a time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and savored it. And then you were fine because it got rid of your sweet tooth. And then I went ahead shot a pickle juice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's weird.
Speaker 2: It worked. It killed it killed my.
Speaker 4: But it's pickled juice. I can tell you that my warranty expired when I turned to forty. That's when all the weird things started happening in my body. When I turned forty. Chicks have more weird things happened than Oh, chicks definitely have to deal with more weird things with their body.
Speaker 1: The day I turned fifty is when my eyes started going. I had to wear eating glasses. I swear to God. It was a fiftieth birthday. Mine was forty with other random things. Strange, I know. But now they say red light therapy for your eyes can fix your eyes and not have to wear reading glasses.
Speaker 4: Red like therapy, like shining in your eyes because right how they do it. But red light therapy is big for your skin. You can buy those spread light therapy masks. I'm just telling you to protect your eyes.
Speaker 2: I'm not a scientist.
Speaker 3: I know I think what you said was wrong.
Speaker 2: No it's not. I read it on the internet.
Speaker 4: Oh never, I'm sorry, then you're its must be true if you read it on the internet, of.
Speaker 1: Course it is. Stay with us, take care of your body's friends. It's like Mickey Mantle said, you remember who Mickey Mantel, the baseball player, and he got a new liver. Remember, oh, you said at a press conference before he was getting his liver, if I'd have known I'd lived this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.
Speaker 2: So take care of yourself.
Speaker 1: Hey, before we get into rapid products, you and christ would you like to do.
Speaker 2: A care to apology? Now, I'm good.
Speaker 1: I told you earlier that red light therapy is good for your eyes, and you told me I was.
Speaker 3: Wrong, and you said it that you're wrong.
Speaker 2: And what did you read?
Speaker 3: I read that there.
Speaker 4: Might be something that they're looking into that it might help with macular degeneration.
Speaker 3: But they said they needed more studies to.
Speaker 1: See if there's early signs. Say red light therapy. I'm gonna get all over this red light therapy.
Speaker 4: Thing for your eyeballs, I don't know, for wherever I need it.
Speaker 3: It's for your face too.
Speaker 2: It's for all over. It helps hair grow, it doesn't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, helps all kinds of stuff.
Speaker 2: I'm not going for the hair grow. I'm just proud ball.
Speaker 3: Turn one of our rooms into just a red light therapy room.
Speaker 2: Oh that's a good idea.
Speaker 4: It's probably not expensive. No, first question, all right, Sandy. First question, how did you get into radio?
Speaker 2: You would be amazed how many people ask me that question.
Speaker 3: I know the answer, but I figure everybody's interested.
Speaker 2: We'll gather around children. Uncle Sandy's story.
Speaker 3: It's time.
Speaker 1: So I was a senior in college and I had it was very beginning. No, it was second semester of my senior year of college, and I had absolutely no idea what I was going to know. It was before, that doesn't matter, maybe sophomore year, I can't remember, and I had no idea what I was going to do for a living.
Speaker 2: I was dating this girl. Her name was Kim Deneen, and Kim Dinean always smelled so good.
Speaker 1: And so she and I went and had lunch one day, and she was also a makeup artist at the mall. Yeah, and she had to go after our lunch date because she was going up to the radio local radio station to do makeup for one of the DJs before she had her head shot her photo done. So I was like, well, I'd like to go, and she goes okay. So we go up there to go to the radio station and she meets the DJ. Her name is Colleen Lynch. I'll never forget it, and we're visiting with her and she was real nice and everything. And this other guy walked in. His name was John Randall, and he was the program assistant program director of the radio station and he did the afternoon drive show. And so it was just a shift change, you know, like just before three o'clock. And I was like, man, do you have any jobs here? And he's like, nah, we don't have anything. Not much we ever done, get any experience. I'm like, now, I go said, man, I'll do whatever you want. It's kind of like the vibe here and I'll do whatever. He goes, really, you think you can be on the radio, and I said yeah, I think so. He goes all right, he goes come back in here at about three fifteen after he gets settled in and starts his afternoon drive show. So I kind of hang out with Kim and Colleen and we're just they're getting ready to do makeup and all that stuff. Three fifteen, I walk into the studio. I sit down and he's sitting directly across the counter from me and kind of to his left, and he goes over. He goes, hey, man, here, take a look at this. He slides me a piece of paper and puts it in front of me. He goes, when I point at you, start reading. I said, okay, and I would still remember it. It was for Money magazine. It was a subscription commercial, right, So I start reading it and I realized about two lines into it that this is really boring. So I start making stuff up to make it interesting, to make it kind of good. You know. I got all the important stuff then what you need to call, how much it is, what your free prize for a subscription is, and all that stuff, and I just wrapped it up.
Speaker 2: I looked at him.
Speaker 1: I put both hands up like by my ears, like okay, I'm done, and he stopped.
Speaker 2: He turn off the mic phone and he goes, You're hired. You start Sunday.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: And that was it.
Speaker 4: That's how I started your interview, your audition. Yeah, pretty much at all. No, I was a cocky back then. I don't do anything.
Speaker 1: I'd do so much all of it. I had so much confidence. And then I just worked my tail off. I worked every I started up part time. They would call me at six forty five in the evening and say, hey, O our seven midnight person just called in sick.
Speaker 2: Can you make it? Yes, I'll be there, you know what I mean. And then I worked Sunday morning six to noon.
Speaker 1: I worked the overnight shift, and then finally eventually ended up doing the morning show.
Speaker 2: Yep, yeah, that's my story.
Speaker 3: That's the way you got in.
Speaker 1: That's how I've done it. I've loved every second of it that I've ever done it. I can't imagine do anything else. This is what I do, right, you know, And.
Speaker 3: You're very get at it.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 4: All right, So now I feel like my next question is not as exciting as the first one.
Speaker 2: You should have said that for last.
Speaker 3: What were you good at? But aren't anymore?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 4: Were you once good at? Can't do it anymore? I used to be able to skateboard like a mother. I mean, I could skateboard. I'd go up curves, I did the half pipes, I did all kinds.
Speaker 3: Of stuff, like the tricks and flipping it and all that.
Speaker 1: No, I could do some tricks, come on, Oh yeah, I could do some tricks to Tony Hawk.
Speaker 2: And I were boys shop.
Speaker 3: Most of the time, those tricks never get landed, I know, but I could do them.
Speaker 1: I could do the mctwist, I could do the banana, philamb.
Speaker 3: Oh, you're totally making it up your crap.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you Tony Hawk and I were a crew.
Speaker 3: Well, I know for a fact you can't do it anymore.
Speaker 4: Based on when our daughter got a skateboard a few years ago, I.
Speaker 1: Went ahead over tea kettle bout killed myself and hit a rock.
Speaker 3: Hit a rock, yeah, oh a rock. The tryp tonight of skateboard. Yes, right, that was it for me, any size rock.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Let's just stop you dead in your tracks.
Speaker 3: Rolled in the street land and I can stop laughing.
Speaker 4: Then you got mad, indefensive and embarrass and you stormed into the house.
Speaker 2: It used to be very good at it.
Speaker 3: You're med because we were laughing at you.
Speaker 2: Don't have time for your third question, Sorry, say save it for next week.
Speaker 1: All right, that's rapid fire Q and a more coming up on Austin's eighty station.
Speaker 2: What oh three point one.
Speaker 1: I don't think anybody should one hundred percent believe or trust what they read on the internet.
Speaker 2: Uh huh No, I don't care where it's.
Speaker 3: Coming from, especially this day and age, right.
Speaker 1: Exactly, because too many people can put too many bs things out there, things that are just.
Speaker 3: Not true, not true, but make it look so real.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And so I asked you if sixty if I said sixty percent trust what they read on the internet was too high or too low, you said too high.
Speaker 2: You are correct.
Speaker 1: But the number of people that do trust what they read on the Internet, I still think is too high. That is forty one percent.
Speaker 4: Believe what they think see on the internet is totally accurate.
Speaker 2: Yes, they trust what they read on the Internet.
Speaker 4: A lot of it depends on what you're reading about correct, right, correct, thicking up facts about something in nature, something like that.
Speaker 1: Right, if you're reading like how many how many puppies do cocker spaniels haven't?
Speaker 3: Right, you probably can.
Speaker 1: You can probably believe that because there's no political angle on that, right, there's no slammed, there's no money being.
Speaker 4: Exchange, right, anything though that could be touched by any kind of a political angle or influenced.
Speaker 2: By a contribution or donation. Right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean at this point I don't I don't believe most of what I read.
Speaker 2: I will believe parts of it.
Speaker 1: I think my BS detector on reading stuff is pretty good.
Speaker 2: And also consider the source.
Speaker 1: You know, which outlets lean what way you know what I mean, if they lean left or they lean right, you probably know that, so that article is going to be written with.
Speaker 2: That lean right.
Speaker 4: I think it's responsibility of everybody if you know you're reading something with a certain lean, read that opinion and then check the other side's opinion as well, and then figure out what parts you believe in, what parts you does and you.
Speaker 1: Know what's going to even worse and worse is the ability to believe someone as if it's coming out of their mouth. With deep fakes and stuff like you could see someone saying something and say, well, I saw them say it, but when really them not true? They're rating that in photos.
Speaker 4: They got to regulate that because that that has caused and will continue to cause a lot of problems.
Speaker 1: I do know that the Senate passed to Take It Down Act. Did you hear about that?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: That is for like revenge porn, Oh yeah, and AI generated things that make people look like they're doing things that they're not doing. And that they did pass that into law, which hooray, not really enforce it.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's the big question is whether or not they actually enforce it and do something about it.
Speaker 2: Right. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I also think you need to when you read things on the internet, you need to look at the language used.
Speaker 2: Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Yeah, when there's really colorful, descriptive language, there's a lean to that.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying, right, I mean, it's never been harder to distinguish, ever, what is real and what is done.
Speaker 1: And that's the problem, don't you think, Yeah, because there's too much of it. Let's just take TV for example. Yeah, the big networks, they know who their audience is. They're gonna give them what they want, whether it's right or left. There's nothing in the middle.
Speaker 4: And there have been a few examples throwing out there of the AI that I would say I was confident that it was real.
Speaker 3: It turns out it was not real.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: Don't you feel stupid? And so one points that out.
Speaker 4: It just kind of shakes the very foundation of of of how you your decision making.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just no, friends, we are here, we are live, real people. Yeah, we're for real.
Speaker 2: We're not computers, we're real people.
Speaker 3: Us questions. Let's just form our own little think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, we'll tell you what we think.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all right, at least so we're wrong, We're not the only ones who are wrong.
Speaker 1: So and you know, I also think that you need to be careful when you have, if you have conversations about certain delicate subjects, to really maybe think, maybe my source isn't as strong as I thought, you know what I mean, Like where I got the information might not be true. So forty one percent they take it hook line and sinker, and that number is going.
Speaker 2: To be dropping.
Speaker 3: Oh definitely has to go down.
Speaker 1: Stay with us more coming up on one oh three point one Austin's eighty station.
Speaker 4: Heads Up Texas, so you don't rear in me when I'm at a stud light, so I can ride my bike safely so I don't have to write you a ticket.
Speaker 2: Heads Up Texas, because driving and using your phone is a bad combination. Talk Text Crash brought to you by Text Dot.
Speaker 1: Play three million dollar cash scratch tickets from the Texas Lottery and enter for a chance to win a European skycruise to Paris Rome and Lisbon. Plus you could win three million dollars instantly. Play three million dollar cash scratch tickets today as we conduct the people's business here on the Sandy Show, we're moving along quickly, so just try to keep.
Speaker 2: Up the base.
Speaker 1: He's your daily audio far all right, so you know who Bill Belichick is, right, Yeah, football coach, football coach. All right, he's doing a press toy. He's got a new book that I actually would like to read. It's called The Art of Winning Lessons from a Life in Football. And Bill Belchick, great coach, rightly, probably really knows what he's talking about. Well, he did an interview over the weekend with CBS Sunday morning, and when he was asked about his current and much younger girlfriend, she's.
Speaker 3: Twenty six, he's sixty years younger. Friend.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she was kind of off to the side, controlling what wouldn't be discussed while the interview was underway.
Speaker 2: Would you like to hear it?
Speaker 6: Yeah, twenty four year old Jordan Hudson his creative news. As he writes in his book, Make Sure That's Jordan was a constant presence during our interview.
Speaker 3: Never been too worried about what everybody else. Thanks, just to try to do what I feel like, is bes man.
Speaker 2: And what's right? How did you guys meet?
Speaker 3: Not talking about this?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: No, wow, Bill, you gotta get to what in the world. Yeah, if you did that to me I I would not.
Speaker 3: Be happy if I were sitting off to the side. You never would do I would never do that, right.
Speaker 2: Wow, she doesn't trust him, She doesn't.
Speaker 4: She posted all across her social medias. It's not a secret how they met. They and jumping into one of the one of an NFL.
Speaker 2: A legend.
Speaker 4: Yeah, an NFL legend coach saying what he can and cannot answered.
Speaker 3: No, ma'am.
Speaker 1: Yeah, check this out. The old woodpecker. He can be a nuisance. He can also be a vandal. There's a town in Massachusetts they got a woodpecker that is damaged over twenty vehicles in one area. Here is Janelle Favaloro talking about catching the bird in the act.
Speaker 7: We seem to have a vandal in our neighborhood. I'm describing him as you know, eighteen to twenty four inches tall, wearing.
Speaker 3: Black and white with a red hat.
Speaker 7: The woodpecker showed up and landed on the windshield wipers of the RV in our yard and was looking at his reflection and we were like, you know what, I bet he was the one that damaged the mirrors as well.
Speaker 2: I like the accent.
Speaker 1: He's an old woodpecker out there just tearing stuff up.
Speaker 4: They have footage of him on the side mirrors of a car pecking it to death.
Speaker 3: Peck in the side. Stupid. He's a dumble woodpecker pecking somebody else.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he thinks that's a tree. Yeah, he's a dumb one. Finally, Tricia, I think you're gonna love this. There's this woman in Virginia and showing a baby snake in her margarita.
Speaker 2: At a Mexican restaurant.
Speaker 3: A baby snake.
Speaker 1: Apparently got in through the air conditioner, fell from the ceiling that bounced off her forehead and landed in.
Speaker 3: Her drink stop her face.
Speaker 2: Her name is Cartlita Andrews.
Speaker 5: Here she is explaining, I leaned in to take a sip and I noticed that something hit me on the forehead. And I looked at my husband, like what was that? And when I turned around, I saw the snake in my margarita and I just jumped away from the bar. At that point, it was moving. It started wrapping around my strawed trying to get it, and I was just like, please, don't let it go in my purse. Another man that was having dinner on the other side of the bar came and he grabbed it and took it out. I left shaking like I was traumatized.
Speaker 4: I bet you were a snake at some point was on her face, on her face.
Speaker 3: In her drink.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I don't think they'll be going back to that restaurant.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, that's Sandy. We've been doing way too many snake stories. We have nightmares about him. All right, now it's time to say goodbye. Thanks for spending some time with us. If you're just checking in, grabbed the podcast version of the show. It's available every single day. Search the Sandy Show where you get your podcast. We like to recap the show with some of the things we learned today.
Speaker 2: How do we do?
Speaker 3: We did pretty good.
Speaker 4: We learned about the armored truck in Illinois that was driving down the road and one of the drivers didn't lock the door, maybe even closed the door, because the door swung open, and about three hundred thousand dollars worth of money just started falling out of the back of the armored truck. About one hundred people made off with about three hundred thousand dollars and nobody's been arrested yet.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't show up to work the next day. Really I was the truck driver.
Speaker 4: Oh, if you're the truck driver, I mean again, an armored truck. All about security and lockdown and safety and protect the money.
Speaker 3: And you don't close the door.
Speaker 2: Well, it probably goes to his partner. I thought you had it.
Speaker 3: I thought you closed.
Speaker 4: It's Tuesday, it's your turn. I just find that incredible. Another thing we learned, and this is very cool. Toby Keith, the country singer. He died I believe a year ago, this past February, but one of his dreams is coming true. He was very into horse racing and one of his horses, Render Judgment, is going to be running in the Derby on Saturday.
Speaker 3: That's cool, very cool. Thirty to one odds, but I don't care.
Speaker 4: I think I'm gonna put a little money down on him because I think Toby's got some pull up there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, those odds are going to drop because there's gonna be a lot of people like you doing the same thing. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Probably so.
Speaker 4: And finally, maybe the most helpful thing that we learned today at kindergarten teacher's gone viral because she said, yes, teach your kids how to tie their shoes, how to go to the bathroom, how to say please and thank you before you send them to kindergarten. But the number one most important thing she needs you to teach your children is the word no.
Speaker 2: Oh goodness, that is so true.
Speaker 4: She needs you to let your child know that the word no is a complete sentence because she does not have time to explain to the child why she said, No, you can't climb up on that table. No, you can't run into the street. Yeah, she said, all I do all day long is teach kids and explain things. And if I have to teach your precious little angel, what I'm saying no every time I say it, nobody will learn anything.
Speaker 2: That's good stuff.
Speaker 1: Teach kids know it'll serve them well as they navigate their way through life.
Speaker 2: Ye have a.
Speaker 1: Great day, everyone, Thanks for spending some time with us. We do appreciate it. We'll do it again tomorrow. Until then, don't take any crap from anybody,