Speaker 1: Oh gee is, folks, it's show time.
Speaker 2: People pay good money to see this movie.
Speaker 3: When they go out to a theater, they want cold sodas, pop popcorn in No monsters in the protection booths.
Speaker 4: Everyone for tend. Podcasting isn't boring.
Speaker 1: Got it off, morning, sir, Good morning, Gray, Nice day.
Speaker 5: Evan's reports a fog rolling in at the stables. Saddle up, Blackie. I want him after breakfast.
Speaker 1: I want to tell the chief hog over the personnel reports with him at fourteen?
Speaker 5: Hi, sir, can we get married? Sure? Didn't I say yes a long time ago?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 5: No, I mean right now, tonight, all.
Speaker 7: Right, time, anytime.
Speaker 1: I'll always love you, so I guess it doesn't matter how soon we begin together.
Speaker 5: You are right if I pick you up at eight o'clock tonight.
Speaker 1: Yes, And I think you'd better wear a dress just this once.
Speaker 5: Ashamed of me already? Huh?
Speaker 6: Sure, But I love you.
Speaker 5: The chaplain doesn't, though, and I think he might like a dress. You're not going right away.
Speaker 1: I have to relieve chief warnikey, Oh Mary, what's this about my husband?
Speaker 5: I'm on my way to relieve him for child. Don't be in a rush. It'll do him good. To miss a meal. Honestly, I'll be bad when he's discharged, just so I can find him down a little bit.
Speaker 1: We're going to be married, well I should think you would be.
Speaker 5: I mean tonight, the sort of the better. What is this a conspiracy? I'll tell you what I'll do. I'll wash your hair for you.
Speaker 1: This afternoon, I bought some new fancy Champousta.
Speaker 7: Welcome to the projection booth. I'm your host. Mike White joined me once again. Is mister Robert Bellissimo.
Speaker 4: Hey Mike, thanks for having me back. Happy to Noir November. Everyone.
Speaker 7: Also back in the booth is mister Otto Bruno.
Speaker 8: Good afternoon, gentlemen, and thanks for inviting me to discuss this very odd film.
Speaker 7: We continue November twenty twenty four with a look at Jean Renoir's The Woman on the Beach. Released in nineteen forty seven. The film tells the tale of veteran Scott Burnette, played by Robert Ryan. He's played with nightmares caused by his PTSD and is assigned to the Mounted Division of the Coastguard. Yes that's the thing where he patrols the beach on his horse, meeting the comely Peggy Butler played by Joan Bennett. She's married to blind painter Todd Butler played by Charles Pickford. Will Scott leave his good girl Eve for bad girl Peggy as Todd really blind? Well, answer those questions and ruined this movie for you as we go along. So if you don't want anything spoiled, turn off the podcast and go watch this movie. Attom, When was the first time you saw The Woman on the Beach? And what did you think?
Speaker 8: I just saw it for the first time about a year or two years ago at the most, and I watched it mainly because it was a Renoire film, because I'm a ren Wire fan. I haven't seen all of his work as of yet, but obviously I've seen his two classic Grand Illusion and Rules of the Game multiple times, as well as a few of his French films before he made Rules of the Game in nineteen thirty nine, and so I watched this knowing that it was his last of his five American films, I believe. But I didn't know anything about it going into it, and I initially was a little disappointed, just because it was somewhat confusing to me, and it seemed somewhat incomplete to me, and the ending definitely threw me off the first time, and of course, now doing some readings for this little visit with you gentlemen, I realized that there was a lot missing that had been filmed and excised because apparently it's an initial screening test. Screening was so poorly received that they really changed it around. But my initial reaction to it was not I can't say it was really positive, but of course, but that's unfair to say that too, because I'm one of those people who think that Grand Illusion and Rules of the Game in particular are without question, two of the greatest films ever made. So it's difficult when a guy has to compete against himself on the case of Renwire with this film and the other interesting thing which I never thought about at the time, and I'm sure we'll discuss, but Renwire being here in America out of his element, he had the language bearer, he was competing with a lot. But the second viewing for this podcast, now that I understand it a little more, I still think it's a weird film, but I appreciate it more than I did the first time.
Speaker 7: And Robert, how about yourself?
Speaker 4: When we all signed on to do rules of the game. Last year, it occurred to me I hadn't seen any of Renwas's films, which is shameful. So I saw many of them before that recording, including this one. I had heard about it before because I know Robert Ryan and one of his sons a little bit, Robert Ryan's son, Cheney, and he's come on my show a few times. And there's a book, a biography on Robert Ryan that's quite good, and there's a chapter on the making of this film in there. I remember reading that, but I only saw it for the time at the beginning of last year, and now I've seen it a couple of more times since. And it's interesting because to me, like the first thirty or forty minutes is actually quite good, and then it just it's not so much that the scenes afterwards are poor, but it feels like it was significantly cut up, which of course is what happened, because I believe it was originally ninety minutes or over ninety minutes, and now we have seventy minutes. And as Auto referenced, of course, he had this disastrous pre screening and that made him so nervous that he started reshooting and cutting, and I know he later regretted really taking one bad streaming so seriously, so it's a shame he did that. But once the forty minute mark or thirty five minute mark hits, everything just becomes rushed and it's abrupts and sloppy, and the characters have these shifts in their choices that are just really random, I feel, and almost like what I call these epiphany moments as opposed to maybe draddually changing or learning from the behavior. But the first thirty minutes or so are quite good. Everything from that nightmare that rapper Ryan's having at the beginning, and just visually it's quite stunning. There's other really great visual touches that I thought were really good, which I'm sure we'll get into. It's a really appealing story about these characters who have these damaged pasts and that's part of their connection, but also part of is trying to destroy one another. So there's a lot that's really good about it, I feel, But overall it's a shade. It just didn't quite work overall, But I'm sure we'll get more into the nitty gritty of it all as we go on here.
Speaker 7: I know it's compromised, but I still find a lot of great things in this movie even after that thirty minute mark. And I agree it is a fairly uneven film, and you can tell that it's been tampered with that there are some cuts in here where I'm just like, ah, that doesn't really feel right, especially because last time we were all together, I believe, is when we were talking about Rules of the Game and just how incredible that movie is, and then you come to this and you're like, there are some odd things in here where Yes, he's at a different point in his career. Yes, he's in America where I feel that he was undercut, I should say by the studio system, especially who is a Xanak had a real beef against him. It sounded like, especially is like, hey, enough of these long takes. Hey, you're wasting too much time moving the camera, and it's like, why did you hire Renoir if you're mad about the moving camera here?
Speaker 8: He basically criticized everything that made Renoir a great director.
Speaker 7: Do you know who you just hired for this? Come on? Things like those dream sequences, and because there's at least two and the first one right at the beginning of the movie, we don't even have Robert Ryan speaking the first time we see him, he's asleep. And to have all these images of these bodies floating down and Robert Ryan floating down with the mine behind him and everything, and I guess it's Eve his girlfriend there at the bottom of the ocean with the It looks like, of course, they shot this kind of like The Spy Who Loved Me where it was supposed to be underwater, but it was just wind machines making things flutter and him standing at the bottom of the ocean, her at the bottom of the ocean. I'm just like, this is wild. And then the second dream sequence is very much like Doune a waking dream. He just is there with his eyes open and he's seeing all of these things, and the last thing he sees is this whole thing of this fire going on. And then Joan Bennett, the fom Fatal in this basically it looks like she's on fire as well. I love that shot. It looks so good. I read the book of this took a lot to track down None so blind, and there's a lot of similar stuff in here. But there's a character who gets mentioned a few times in the movie and he's a real character in the book. He runs the book anyway. He runs basically like a saloon or a bar, and he plays such a pivotal role in what's going on. And it's basically the Joan Bennett character. Peggy has been having an affair with him for the longest time, and this new guy is Oh, he's just like a new toy for her to play with.
Speaker 4: Basically, was that supposed to be Eve's brother? Oh?
Speaker 7: I don't think so. Is it the brother in here?
Speaker 8: I thought that's what it because they mentioned her brother a couple times, and then I thought that's what he found out near the end was that Joan Bennett had been having an affair with him as well. Because remember, he's not around now, he's gone, he's not in the picture for whatever reason.
Speaker 4: We see the other guys she has an affair with. We see he's not that. It wasn't the doctor. The Doctor's lets that be known, and then God finds out. Do you guys, remember this movie is so bonkers sometimes hard to keep I know that one of the things I read said that.
Speaker 8: One of the early drafts that it is her and the doctor. And then Ryan gets told by her at the end that she's basically just been playing him, and that the plan was for her and the doctor to kill her husband and steal his paintings and go off together. That was apparently one of the scripts before Renoir took over the production.
Speaker 4: But they don't.
Speaker 8: Intimate that at all in the film, that she and the doctor are having a relationship.
Speaker 7: No, and the doctor's the dumpy little guy who really doesn't seem to respect us the privilege there between the patient and the physician because he's just blabbing about everything.
Speaker 4: Oh, she was banging this other guy. I'm like, what it was a very small community.
Speaker 7: Even with those reshoots that you were talking about, it's not even the same Eve. It's not the original Eve, the girlfriend of Robert Ryan's character Scott. These names are just so exotic with Scott and Peggy. I think it's no coincidence that her name is Eve, that first woman without Sin type of thing. But that's Nan Leslie in the version that we're watching, and originally that was Virginia Houston and they reshot all of herself.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 8: I read that and I'm like, gee, that's interesting. I don't know why they replaced her.
Speaker 7: No, I don't know if it was a timing thing. Maybe they needed to some of that and they couldn't get her for a certain time, or maybe it was just oh, she's not right for this role.
Speaker 4: We're going to go with.
Speaker 7: Somebody, I don't know, more blonde, more innocent. I don't know what it is, but man, Eve, she's got a good head on her shoulders other than for business, but she seems to be figuring it out. That whole thing of her trying to help out at work and pull the work out of it. Sounds like they're about to hit some dire streets unless they get some business stuff sorted out. And she brings all these things to Robert Ryan to be like, hey, can you help me with this?
Speaker 8: But she did admit to him then she said, it's just as well I had done it. I just used it as an excuse to come see you. Because he has that first nightmare that opens the film, and it's that I think that leads him to her, and then asking her to marry him right away instead of waiting because obviously they had been considering marriage. But he wants to get married right away, and she, like, you say, Mike, she's got a good head on her. So she's smart enough whether she knows exactly what's going on, but she knows that whatever his although they never used this obviously in nineteen forty seven, but whatever his problem with PTSD is, which is essentially what he's dealing with, she realizes that he's thinking that getting married right away will be a quick fix to his problem, and she knows it won't. So she balks at that let's get married immediately idea, and then he like gets you don't really know exactly how he feels. He says he agrees with her, but then he leaves, and immediately the next scene he sees Peggy and he's drawn to her. And of course Renoire said he wanted to make a story just about physical attraction and sexual attraction, but that Robert said earlier, all three of these what will eventually be the three main characters are so damaged and their interactions with each other seem to be leading towards the destruction of all of them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that doesn't even really come if his intent was to make a film about purely physical attraction. That really doesn't come through unless I part of the reshoots and rewriting is I guess that got compromised or change. But I really like the beginning because after that dream and he says to that other guy, clearly, I'm not well in the head, even though they're telling him that he's fine physically, which I thought that was really ahead of its time, thinking at the time people were only concerned with, oh, you didn't get shot or whatever, but what about the mental health aspects of it. But I like that he sees her in the dream and she's in white, and she's angelic, and she's going towards her. In his mind, this is his savior. And I like that she wanted to marry her immediately, which I took to as he's afraid to lose her. He's lost everything else, which we see in that dream is both got torpedoed. And I thought Ryan played it so well because you see when she's hesitant, you see how upset he looks about it, and I just thought that was really powerful. So it's again, it's just such a shame because there's so much in this film that's great. We just needed another twenty thirty minutes and it would have been probably a great film.
Speaker 8: He does mention I think it was Renoire himself, or maybe it was just one of the articles I read about how they really did. Of course nineteen forty seven, so they cut a lot of scenes that intimated sex or even suggested it. So they did cut a lot of those scenes out, and even the passionate kissing they didn't want because of course, anytime you depicted infidelity on the screen back then, it was predicted, like a gangster movie, that the people who were unfaithful had to be punished in some way. You couldn't let them get away with that, So obviously it's too bad.
Speaker 4: This is one of the things. I don't know how you.
Speaker 8: Guys feel about this, but this just always drives me crazy when they talk about movies that were cut down by studios and they did these hatchet job editing and took out tons of film, and the film was destroyed or they can't find it, or they found some of the audio and they found some of the visual, but they didn't find them where they pieced it together one or the other.
Speaker 4: It's so frustrating.
Speaker 8: I guess people human beings never have an appreciation for history as something is happening. By nineteen forty John Renoire was a pretty significant guy already, but as Mike was saying, clearly Xanik didn't care or had no clue.
Speaker 4: But it's so frustrating.
Speaker 8: I would love to have seen what that original cut was that had the one bad preview.
Speaker 4: We all know that mel.
Speaker 8: Brooks always said when they previewed Blazing Saddles, it was terrible because he previewed it for the executives and then he showed it to all the people who worked out at the studio, the crew people and all that, and they loved it. So when they told him what changes they want him, he said, jess and that he didn't change any of it, and it became this monster hit. Ren Wire said, this film the preview audience was younger people and students. Clearly, they're not going to have anything in this movie to relate to whatsoever.
Speaker 7: No how are they going to relate to this old blind painter and that his wife accidentally severed his optic nerve by throwing a glass at him when they're having a drunken brawl. They're not even going to relate to Robert Ryan having PTSD after serving in the war, because they're probably too young to have served.
Speaker 4: In them Exactly. Some of them more erotic things that I felt did come through was once a Scott meets Todd and then they're all having dinner together. He goes to a close up of Todd and Scott lighting the cigarette of Peggy right in front of him, and it's there's something it's almost to me, it was like almost like having an affair right in front of him and he can't see it. And then there was this great cut where I think she says the word brown because Todd is asking about Scott's hair color, and that was such a perfect cut. They just they cut and she goes brown about his hair, and then the camera just lingers on her and she just has a neutral expression. It just from that cut and just lingering on her, and at that moment, the attraction is building and there's something so dangerous about the fact that they're doing it right in front of this blind guy. To me, that was like some of the more most like when they're alone in the boat that's damaged and there is kissing, but it's not It's performed well, but it doesn't have the heats that I felt was in that scene. And so I don't know, you guys just felt about that, But.
Speaker 7: Sorry to go back to what you're saying as far as the bad people have to be punished, No, but he's really punished. At the end of this no Joan Bennett earns her own freedom by Todd burning up his own paintings and they go off together. It's such an interesting ending that they go off together and Todd just wanders off like a somnambulist. I don't know what I'm.
Speaker 6: Going to do.
Speaker 7: I guess he's going to go back to Eve, but it just feels like he's lost. At the end of this movie. We don't get a shot of him coming back to her. The whole thing of the doctor and Joan Bennett's character Peggy them conniving and coming up with this whole stealing the paintings and all that. That's such a typical noir experience. But with this what we ended up with is so not a noir experience. There's not really a crime, and there's not even a crime of passion. Nobody dies in this movie, which is interesting, not for lack of trying, but it's just such an odd thing. But it is fitting this pattern the three movies that we've talked about so far this month, with Pitfall, with Angel Face, and now with Women on the Beach, there's always the long suffering wife or girlfriend who is being basically emotionally cheated on, even if not physically cheated on by the main character, and usually at the end of them he goes back to that character. But actually, I think in all three of these this month, I don't know how the relationship with Eve is going to go. I don't know how the relationship between Dick Powell and his wife if it's going to be at the end of Pitfall, and there is no relationship for Robert Mitcham at the end of Angel Face. So exactly, it's very fascinating that way, like he comes into Robert Ryan comes into this weird relationship. Here's the European director at work, right. This feels like a European art film where he's walking into these two people who kind of love each other and really hate each other at the same time, and they're indebted to each other on different levels. She feels guilty about blinding him. He's just struggling to make things work, trying to write and has to use her as the fingers on the keyboard. Just very fascinating way that this is venir but really not at the same time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's chained to one another, and they'll see that in a lot of noir movies like Postman always rings twice. Those once they meet, they're just stock in good ways and in bad ways, and that here. But it's interesting because every now we know, we think of film noir and often, yes, it's true, it ends badly for everyone, but occasionally you did get these more optimistic endings, and sometimes it's clearly forced and compromised by the studio, like in the case of Thieves Highway and this one the only one that's there's probably more, but off the top of my head, the only one that worked. And you don't think of the big heat as having a You think that is such a dark film, and it is, but it actually ends on an optimistic node somewhat. But every now and then they did do that, but often it's completely compromised. Well, it was interesting for.
Speaker 8: Me, and again it goes back to the first viewing and now the second viewing after I've learned more about the background of the film, But in that first viewing when I watched it, I the like's point, I thought I was watching a more typical noir film. And I didn't really trust Peggy Joan Bennett's character. I assumed that she was using Ryan. And the other thing we haven't discussed yet, but it does encompass a good portion of the film is Ryan doesn't believe that Todd is act really blind.
Speaker 4: He thinks he's faking it. So all those things.
Speaker 8: The first time, I thought, I'm like, this is definitely in the wire, and I figured absolutely someone was going to get killed in such whatever.
Speaker 4: And I didn't trust Joan Bennett's.
Speaker 8: Character, and you can see it in just some of you can tell that stuff was cut out. She plays and I get a more sinister feeling from her and a more of a sense of ving, and then other scenes I don't, so I'm assuming those are the ones that were reshot later on. In terms of the three actors, Renoir enjoyed working with all of them. He praised all three of them and their performances.
Speaker 4: But you can feel the holes in that way.
Speaker 8: And like you said, the ending, the ending in some ways, yes, you can look at it now and it does make the film interesting the way it ended, but at the same time it seemed so rushed and abrupt to me, So you do get even though it's very rushed, and maybe some people wouldn't buy it, but I do buy it because I, like we said a minute ago, Joan Bennett and Bickford, as much as they'd love and hate one another, definitely are tied to one another forever.
Speaker 4: That's it.
Speaker 8: They need one another. Whether it's a good relationship or a bad relationship, it's a relationship that neither of them can end or walk away from. But we do get some kind of a tie up at the end of their relationship. And then there's not even like an acknowledgement of Ryan. He just walks away in the background. He's like in the background, It just walks away. And it just seems so bizarre to me the first time when the end flickers.
Speaker 4: What particularly because of the whole They just were on this boat where it's like this storm and they almost kill each other, and then he comes back in a rage, which I can understand, and then before you know what, he's I'm burying the past. I am like again, it's those I hate epiphany moments because they're so rare in life. It's just in that moment, I just can't I could not believe that he would suddenly have this realization after that near death experience. Again, if they had filled it in and gradually explored it, I could invest in it. But it was way too quick. Yeah, but to.
Speaker 8: Get him a little bit to take Renwire just a tiny bit off the hook. He described this as essentially an avant garde film because he said I was too late with this film.
Speaker 4: This film would have done well.
Speaker 8: Between Nosferatu and Kligari, which I thought was interesting because he's essentially saying he did this film too late in time to have it be appreciated, which is funny because I always think of Renoirre as the guy who was way ahead of his time because a lot of his films when they came out, particularly Rules of the Game, were not appreciated at the time of release, and now we recognize it for the brilliant film that it is. So he does say, look at I know I didn't make I can't remember if he was writing to a friend or whatever, but he.
Speaker 4: Knew pretty much after this.
Speaker 8: He just didn't belong in Hollywood immediately because obviously the film did poorly. So Xanik they wanted the twentieth century to buy out his contract and he said in his memoir I'm not a fighter. I said, fine, I took the money and I left, and I never made another film in Hollywood. But he was such sensitive guy that it did hurt him. He felt bad about it, and he felt What was really interesting is he felt bad. At least this is the inference I get from his memoirs. He felt bad not only for the fact that no one understood it, but he also felt bad that he was unable to make a successful film for twentieth century facts. He was not able to make any money for them and really succeed in the way that American films are considered successes.
Speaker 4: So I thought that was really interesting too. I love Run We I'm.
Speaker 7: Really curious when it comes to some of these performances that you're talking about. I wonder how much of it is reshot. And I also wonder about the direction of it, because I talked about how Scott's a sleepwalker in this and there are times where he just comes in and delivers some of the flattest things, like when he comes in goes.
Speaker 5: Godd, I've got a vote for this afternoon.
Speaker 6: Would you like to go fishing with me?
Speaker 7: I want to say it's uneven, But I think that has a lot to do with one the editing that we've been talking about, the redo of some of this film. But then also it might be some of the direction and just this kind of dreamlike thing that's going on here. We're not even two minutes into the movie by the time our main character is having a dream sequence. I talked about how he has the waking dream later on the film, and so much of the things that are going on feel like they are part of a dream, like him even just taking his horse and going across the beach and seeing this beautiful woman who's collecting firewood. And then there's also this whole thing of ghosts, and this is almost like a spook story, where is hey, you really shouldn't be collecting that wood because it belongs with this wrecked ship. Basically this wood is cursed in his mind. And the way that she look at him with X ray fucking vision and just like immediately, oh, you've got this going on, and this going she's the best therapist in the world or something like she sees right through him and all of his bullshit and just calls him out, Oh, you've got problems with this don't you. Oh, you were probably torpedo, and I'm just like, Wow. He doesn't have to say anything. She knows his number immediately.
Speaker 4: But the women are both ghost like in a sense. You his fiance literally from his dreams, and then he puts a vision on her to try to make that the reality by marrying her, and that makes him feel happy or safe, was what I took from it. But once he meets Peggy, You're right, she sees so much about him that it's almost hard to believe she could see these things. I don't think it's not that I'm saying I didn't like it because I did the ghost like ghost feel to it. But I think that's also what really drew him to her, was not just a physical attraction, but that she He has no one from what we've seen, He has no one to talk to her about at this point about his problems, and this woman is someone he can now finally open up with, and so there's that good connection. And then the that we meet Todd and then the love triangle begins. But I get that was another quality of it I thought was really interesting.
Speaker 8: He says something like, You're the only one who's understood me. So far right, I understood what I'm going through, and she said we're the same or something.
Speaker 4: Or so, And there's so much what.
Speaker 8: We haven't used the word yet, but with a lot of the dialogue and even some of those scenes, like Robert talked about when he's lighting her cigarette, there's so much subtext going on with this dialogue. One of the articles that Mike sent us, and usually I can't stand this stuff, but because Renoire said it himself, I'm like, okay, let me read this, but there was a one I can't. Unfortunately, I don't remember who it was who wrote the article, but basically they were interpreting everything that was said, oh sexually, talking about talking about we're just talking about wood and all those everything was a.
Speaker 4: Sexualation to it.
Speaker 8: And while I think interpreting everything that way I think is foolish, it was obviously meant in some of that to be that way, not every single word, but there were definitely and Renoire himself said that he felt one of the most sexual scenes was the lighting of that cigarette, So you were spot on, that's that stuff is definitely intentional.
Speaker 7: I think that was the cult film Alley article. It really reminded me of when I was in film school, and once I learned about like Freudian theory and from Susan White, I was just like looking for it everywhere, and like the talk about them when they go out on the they finally go deep sea fishing and they're fighting over that it's like a spear an all or something that balance, just the two men fighting over the phall and then the penetration at the bottom of the boat and then oh, that's like Ryan is reliving the whole torpedoing by him torpedoing himself with that. And no, definitely there was a lot. It was very film school, one on one, but I did find.
Speaker 8: Some interesting things from just watching comedy in the last fifty to one hundred years. You can make anything sexual just by delivery, and if you want to interpret something sexually, it's not hard to interpret almost anything and everything in that way. I read that article, I'm like, Okay, it's a little over the top, but some of it was relevant and true.
Speaker 7: Her talking about the ghosts and when ghosts get too insistent, you have to let them go and then you find a kind of peace. And I'm just like, all right, because she knows he's got his ghosts going on, and who knows how many other men died during that whole incident. We see the bodies falling before we see him falling, and obviously he's very plagued by that. But then she's got her own ghosts and she's got her own thing, and that for me, what's fascinating is that relationship between her and Todd, and especially I'm talking about sexual stuff again. He keeps all of his paintings in the closet, doesn't even hang. The paintings are all kept in the closet, including the painting of her, the nude painting that he is the most proud of.
Speaker 4: He just wants to chose stot. Oh strange, and how does he know which one it is? He's like so sure that he knows which one it is, and then God's it's in it and I'm like, how would you have known? Anyways, that was weird. That was strange.
Speaker 7: It feels like something I don't know, like adult friend Finder or a fet life or something where it's just hey, look at my hot wife. You want a piece of this? Because he's so setting them up. It's just hey, cuckled me Like I love to watch even though I can't.
Speaker 9: Watch it, just like WHOA, This is so bizarre. He basically is, come on back to the house, Scott, I really want you to come back, you know what. I want you to come back to my house with my wife so much that I'm going to travel over to you during this huge deluge and come in soaking wet, and then have you drive me back to my house so that you and Peggy can be together. He's going to great lengths to fan this flame here.
Speaker 4: Maybe subconsciously he's trying to find a way to let her go, because I kept thinking, why would he go in the boat? We knows it's arming. Ryan has already pretty much tried to kill him at the cliff. Maybe it's a death wish. It's a way to free her because he can't do it himself. You could interpret it that way.
Speaker 8: See I read it the other way, And first of all, I felt he was taunting them just to make her a little more miserable, because.
Speaker 4: He really, quite honestly, of the three.
Speaker 8: Of them, he's the one who understands who he is and who he and Peggy are together more than the other two in my view. He says to her, no, we're together forever and when you don't know where it's going. Initially you just think, oh, he's just an abusive husband, But as time goes on, you realize that they really are very similar, and she does love him in her way, and their love and their hate is inextricably bound together. And her he knows I got to fire. I can't remember what it was, he says to her at one point, but as we know, she feels guilty for his blindness because of the fight and the broken glass and all that. Even though she says to Ryan early on how you have to just let your ghosts go, she's acting like she has, but she clearly hasn't let go of her ghosts, and Todd basically knows that she's never going to be able to do that. And I think the burning of the paintings and all that stuff at the end, that's Todd helping himself. The fact that she gets helped by that is almost collateral benefit as opposed to collateral damage. But I don't I think Todd was just so hockey in his assurance that she wouldn't ever leave him, and that she couldn't ever leave him, Yeah, that he just kept taunting them both but that's just how.
Speaker 4: I read it. I think that's a good way to look at it. They reminds me of Postman Always Rings twice because the husband of a lot of turnerous character, he also doesn't see what's going on. He's not blind and he doesn't see this affair blooming. And it's also this ego like he doesn't think that she would leave him because of her ambition, and he owns this restaurant that she wants to run. And then so I could see that as well from Todd's point view, look at my nikked wife. Oh you can look, but you can't touch.
Speaker 7: And you're right as far as I went back to my notes, So the name of the guy that she had been having an affair with was Bill Getty's and Eve's last name is Getty's. That brother thing. I don't know how I missed that. Maybe I was too distracted by Irene Ryan here.
Speaker 8: Yes, they didn't make that clear in the film that I missed that note. At one point they do say something though that made me realize, oh, that was her brother. And then once you know that, it also makes more sense as to why Eve and Irene Ryan or her husband that.
Speaker 4: They never come out.
Speaker 8: And actually say it. But they obviously don't trust Peggy. They have a negative view of her because of these affair Who's exactly and then why because and yes, Mike Robert is I think younger? No, you're younger than me too. But it was rather disturbing to see Granny Clampett not being Granny Clampet.
Speaker 7: I imagine they aged her up a little bit on Beverly Hill Billy, like they did with Buddy Ebsen, but she definitely was a lot older in that than she is in this. And I didn't recognize her except for the voice. At one point she let out a holler, and I just said, oh, I knew that voice. Where do I know that voice from? And then as soon as I saw Irene Ryan's name, I was like, oh, okay.
Speaker 4: Great, Yeah, was that the woman who makes it clearer that an affair had happened too? Yeah, okay, I know what you mean.
Speaker 7: She's got the three young boys that just keep running, those boys that just say the same things over and over again. They're almost like a Greek cord.
Speaker 4: I know. When they see Eve, they're just like, Hi, Hi Eve.
Speaker 7: She knock it off, kids, And it is interesting that Bill Getty's, and then Eve's brother that he owns the shipbuilding and repair shop, and Robert Ryan, the guy whose ship got Major Lea damaged, who is a damage person, trying to get with her. I'm just like, Okay, the first time he comes in and sees her when she's cutting that wood, gives him that bright, being smile. I'm just like, oh, you're about to get your heart broken. That's so awful because she just seems so wonderful and so nice, and like I said, what a great head on her shoulders too.
Speaker 4: I also really like when he is so sure that Todd is not blind, and his idea to lead him to this cliff as he's on a horrors to see whether or not he would fall. Clearly, in his heart he wants to kill this guy because if it's thrue, he's going to definitely fall. And then as he's about to fall, he screams out to him, but we know better than him, We know that in his heart reminds me of a place in the sun on the boat with Cliff and Shelley Winters. He was going to kill her, but then he can't bring himself to do it. But then he doesn't savor when the boat tips over, so he didn't technically kill her, but in his heart he basically did. And I was like, that's very much what we see here. And then but he later decides clearly when they go on the boat. But he looks at Peggy and she looks at him, and she's, oh, I know what you're gonna do. And he's looking at her, but you're thinking, but you know what he's thinking that he's clearly going to kill Todd. There was no hesitation, there was no conversation about it, no element of difficulty to do it. Also because he felt so bad about what happened before. Then again it's just rushed and abrupt in my view, didn't this scene where he hears Todd hitting her slaps that happened after the fall off the cliff, because he does apologize.
Speaker 8: He says to him, I thought I really thought you weren't blind.
Speaker 7: Yeah, which is crazy that she guilts him into that.
Speaker 8: Og and but then, like you're saying, Robert, then after that he hears Todd hitting her, so then he gets all enraged again and then goes back.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but what I didn't understand is when they're on the boat and they're putting the hole in the boat. Why didn't he just back them over the head? That didn't make sense because he would have died right up over.
Speaker 8: He could have just said the storm he went over and I couldn't hell, I couldn't save him.
Speaker 4: I don't know what the hell again, was clearly missing before then there's a death wish on his part, or both of their parts, but it's not explore it. It's just dumped on us.
Speaker 8: And again I think that feeds into the surreal nature and the avant guarde nature of this because again I don't know where I read it, but one of the articles talked about some of the exposition scenes where Peggy is telling you about her past and her upbringing and stuff like that, and all that was cut out.
Speaker 4: Ah, that's too bad, So that would.
Speaker 8: Have made her just made these people more well drawn portraits. I like it better now than the first time, just because it is. I liked it better the second time I saw it. It helps us understand that a lot was caught, and in a way, you could fill in some of it and you can speculate as to what he may have done here. But that's really no excuse for the sweet gadget that works in some ways in films, but in this one it's too much that's not there. One of you guys was just saying about how when Ryan comes in like a zombie and says, let's go DeepC fitching, and he and Peggy have that long look between them, and obviously they knew what he was going to do. They never say it, but we all know what he's going to do. Do you think that maybe one of the things that was reshot afterwards was when they leave and then she tries to stop it and calls and then runs after them, trying to stop them. It could be maybe that was a shot to make her to show you that she actually doesn't want Todd.
Speaker 7: To make her a little bit more sympathetic. I have to say that I really am unfamiliar with Joan Bennett. Have missed the big ones that she's been in. I mostly remember her from her tiny little role in Suspiria, but all of the long films that she made, I just have not seen those yet. And I feel really bad because she's wonderful.
Speaker 4: Really good. She's great in Other Noir Battles, which is a great film, and then of course Starlett Street Street in the Windows. That's great.
Speaker 7: Okay, so I did see the Reckless Moment. I just didn't remember her in there.
Speaker 4: She's's different, your hair as much shorter, and I think that was probably a few years after this, but that was my favorite of hers. But I haven't thoroughly gone through her filmography either. There's a lot I still want to see.
Speaker 7: She I need to catch up on Scarlett Street and The Woman in the Window because I good.
Speaker 4: I haven't seen Scarlett Street either yet. They're both great films.
Speaker 8: She's probably, though, quite honestly, among film fans, most famous for playing Spencer Tracy's wife and father of the bride and Father's a little dividend.
Speaker 4: I haven't seen those.
Speaker 8: She was Spencer Tracy's he's the father, she's the mother in those pictures. And she was beautiful, great actress. She had some issues later in her life.
Speaker 7: Oh there's a big skin her husband.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I'm trying to remember if some of them tried to kill her husband or I think it was her husband tried to kill someone that thought she was having an affair with and she got blackballed by the industry for a while. And I can't remember if it was Tracy or Bolguard who fought for I think it was Tracy who fought for her to be in those movies at MDM, Father of the Bride because no one really wanted to touch her anymore. Oh and she never forgot that kindness. I can't remember if it was him or if it was even later. She wasn't in Oh, the second to last Bogart movie about the family being held hostage.
Speaker 4: I know the one you're talking about. It was his second to last. It was a play.
Speaker 8: It was based on a play that I think Fred Riddle March played the husband. That's right, No, okay, I just found it. I know what it was. It was the film because it's I knew. It was later than Father of the Bride, which was nineteen fifty. It was nineteen fifty five. Bogart fought for her for the film We're No Angels, which.
Speaker 4: Oh I haven't seen that. Oh my god, I love that movie. The Bad remake with de Niro and Champagne. That was beyond bad Man.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 4: So that was really awful.
Speaker 8: It's coming up the perfect season. It's a Christmas movie, believe it or is not. About three convicts on devil vout all right, I'll be watching that. Yeah, but it's good of it. But but she and at that point no one would hire and Bogart said, if either she does it or I won't do the film.
Speaker 4: Oh interesting, So she had almost like a real life film noir story. Yeah. I guess if you do a lot of film Moore movies, it messes up your life a little, because I know other actors like the guy who was the lead and Detour, I forget his name, but he also had his life was like a film noir like. It's bizarre. So it's interesting.
Speaker 7: And I'm sure people are yelling at their podcast right now to remind us that she was in Dark Shadows. Apparently my mom watched a lot of that while she was pregnant with me.
Speaker 4: That's why we're doing Wow.
Speaker 8: I didn't realize that she was in three hundred and that's so she must have been in all the Dark Shadows. I was never a Dark Shadow guy when I was a kid. I remember when it was on, but in my town back then it was on. I think they showed it it four o'clock, and for me, four o'clock meant things like the Flintstones, Hogan's Heroes, Bewitch. It was all the syndicated stuff that they showed. My sisters and I knew women who watched soap operas, and I never got into any of the soap operas.
Speaker 4: And unfortunately I don't feel guilty about it.
Speaker 8: But sometimes I feel sad when I listen to some of your podcasts and all people who do all these great podcasts and shows now, and everyone talks about how.
Speaker 4: They were a monster kid, and I wasn't. I just wasn't.
Speaker 8: I was eight years old and I knew who George Burns and Jack Benny were, but I didn't know from Hammer, Horror or anything like that.
Speaker 4: Yet.
Speaker 7: Speaking of podcasts, I found it interesting there was a podcast and I can't remember the name of it. Unfortunately, that's pretty bad of me. But they were talking about Renoir's films in America, and some of them were convinced that Todd, despite all of the tests that Robert Ryan puts him through, they were like, no, I still believe that Todd isn't blind. I'm like, wow, really after all this, and it is interesting that in the book he's not blind. He's not actually blind, he's hysterically blind. So again, going back to the freudian ness of it all. He was so traumatized by what was going on he convinced himself that he was blind.
Speaker 8: Because I think that was in one of the first drafts of the screenplay as well in The Rightly So Again, this is basically a movie, or maybe we should say a book that could have been like two or three different movies.
Speaker 4: Sounds like a.
Speaker 7: Well, the book was tough to find. It is not available via Kindle or just as a cheap paperback or anything. I'm getting. I don't know if it's the original, but the old paperback falling apart type of thing is what I ordered for this, and it was difficult to get my hands on. Luckily, it wasn't like a forty to fifty dollars book or anything. It was pretty cheap. But this one's out of print for decades. Basically when it was made into the film.
Speaker 8: I think they started, like scripts started on it in forty five or something. But the book wasn't very old, right it was it published like in forty three or something like that, because they said it had been serialized I think in Collier's first before it was even a novel, and someone at the studio saw the serialization in the magazine and contacted the author and he wrote, like a treatment or something.
Speaker 7: It is interesting too that the name of the book is none so blind as those who cannot see. I was like, that's really clever.
Speaker 4: That's a better title than Woman under Me. I think with it went with Women on the Beach because Joan Bennett had been Woman in the Windows and they were like, Oh, let's like capital putting a woman in the title. That sounds like great Hollywood logic.
Speaker 7: Yeah, looks like it's It came out in forty five, so you're right even closer to that. And I just looked up the hardcover on Amazon's forty five dollars. Looks like I bought a reprint from nineteen sixty and it looks like that's probably the last time that it had been in pow. Wow, this is the cover art that I am familiar with, the story of a lonely man and a desirable woman who found love and hatred on a lonely beach.
Speaker 4: That's some good pulp marketing there.
Speaker 7: Yeah, there you go, damn straight. It was a really good pulpy book too. I had a great time with this and shows his hand pretty early on Wilson the Author, because at one point Scott goes to I tooked about how she's having an interfair with I believe it's the bartender, and it goes into the bar and she's just like, Hey, how long have that couple been living here because people just don't know them that well, and the guy's, oh, fifteen years. And then he finds out later on he's talking to somebody else and they're like, oh, they've just been here for nine months, and it's nine months fifteen years. What hell's going on? So I'm like, oh, okay, so that affair had been going on for a while. It's yeah, I'm glad that we got to talk about this one because it is just it's rife with great just set pieces in hearing like we I think we've all said it's pretty uneven, but for me, at the end of the day, it works. May not be the best film in the world, but there's a lot of things to it more about.
Speaker 8: Usually, when you have a great director, a truly great director, even the films that aren't great, there's going to be something worth while about them.
Speaker 4: For sure. It's exploring about them.
Speaker 8: So that's how I feel by the way, I would be remiss if I didn't bring it up, because it obviously doesn't happen too often. But there is a character named Otto in this film. I wanted to put out that that guy his fellow Coastguard officer. Whoever that guy is Otto Wernike his name is.
Speaker 7: Who at first I thought was Clifton James, the guy who comes in and wakes him up and then talks with him later. I really he looked like Clifton James right off the bat, and I was like, no, no, it's a different guy. But he just has a big Clifton James.
Speaker 8: Walter sand and I didn't check it the other night because he looks so familiar.
Speaker 4: Oh he was into have and they have not. That's what I know him from.
Speaker 8: He's the guy who's renting the boat and doesn't want to He tries to get away without paying Humphy Ball Guard for the boat rental.
Speaker 4: That's him. That's where I recognize him from. All Right, he was.
Speaker 8: Good, but there's not a lot of autos, so I have to give them their due when they're.
Speaker 4: Thought them auto. The only thing I wanted to mention, not specifically about the film, but It's very interesting having gotten to know Robert Ryan's sign Cheney a little bit, because Ryan was very politically minded and extremely liberal. And Cheney told me that movies were not discussed at home at all, like show bitten, and none of the children went into show business. Like he's a professor. He's taught at Harvard and different schools, and he couldn't even tell you that much about his father's career. But he's very interested in film noir in general, and so he knows more about the film noir movies. And I wrote him recently, I said, do you know, did your dad ever tell you anything about the woman in the window and the old The only thing you could tell me was that from his point of view, it's sort of me looked caught up, and that he did get a chance to meet ren Wah a couple of times, and that ren Waugh and Ryan really liked each other a lot and admired each other immensely, and I think they were somewhat friends. I don't know what their relationship was like. Like, I always find it interesting because so many people in show business, often their children often follow into that industry, and I always find it interesting when the children are just not interested in it because their parents had other interests or what have you. But the pretty interesting guy. And Ryan is such an incredible actor. He's amazing. The older I get, the more I love Robert Ryan Moore. He's fantastic. Die relatively young, he was only just over sixty. I think he died, didn't He die of lung cancer? I forget which I think it was. And then his wife died the year before. Oh Cheney was twenty five, and both his parents were already gone. Yeah, it's tragic.
Speaker 8: It was clear, Like I said, renoirre made it clear that he liked working with all three of those people. What I didn't mention is that apparently Bennett insisted on him yet, because they were looking at Fritz Lang, Jacques Fournier and all these other people, and she said, no, it's got to be him. I don't want to do it with anybody else but Renoir. And they had not worked together previously, so I don't know how they knew each other, or if they just respected one another's work or what it was, but she insisted on him. Whatever the final result was of the film, Renire basically enjoyed himself making it. Other than the interference of Yeah, Danik, but he enjoyed working with those actors very much so. By the way, before I forget, what's the Ryan biography that you said was good that you would recommend.
Speaker 4: It's by I think I interviewed him. Oh all right, I think it was called The Lives of Rockard Ryan by J R. Jones. Came out in twenty fifteen, and it's really good. And apparently when he got to know Chamy and the other two siblings, they were like my parents, like they were pretty ordinary. It's not he just was concerned it wouldn't make maybe the most engaging story, but I felt it really was just the fact that he the way in which he stood out, and his politics and the way in which he approached his career and his relationship with Howard Hughes being under contract Archao. It's really good. I really enjoyed it, and that they him and it his wife started this school in la that still exists. They started their own I'm not sure if it was a private or public school. I read the book a few years ago, but it's still there. So they had all of these other interests. He's one of a kind in a lot of ways.
Speaker 8: Film didn't define who he was as a person. No, he loved acting and he did a lot of theater as well. He loved being on set, and he admitted he's in a lot of garbage and check. He said that like actors, a lot of stuff you do is not what you want to do, but you do it because you need to make money. But obviously he's in also a decent amount of classics and masterpieces. He gave these phenomenal performances. But they had a lot of interests and his wife was not big on Hollywood.
Speaker 4: She told me that at the time his mother said that everyone in Hollywood was a right wing nudge, which is odd. There are probably more conservatives then than now when Hollywood, but there are a lot of liberals too when you look at Hugh walk went after everyone. But she did not like a lot of people there. They had other values. This was something he loved, but it was a thing that made him his living.
Speaker 8: I also like when you have someone like Robert Ryan, who is so different from the characters that he.
Speaker 4: And I think of Ryan.
Speaker 8: He was in a lot of great films, but I think of In Bad Day at Blackrock because that's one of my favorite films.
Speaker 7: Your boy, who played Otto was also in that.
Speaker 4: You're right, that's that he's in that too. He was a familiar character actor. Wow, you're right, that's a good pull.
Speaker 7: All right, guys, let's go ahead and take a break. We're going to play a preview for next week's episode right after these brief messages.
Speaker 6: I tell you it's no good. I'm not gonna get involved involved in what?
Speaker 5: How stupid do you think I am?
Speaker 4: You hate that one.
Speaker 6: Some day some I ain't gonna hate her enough to kill her.
Speaker 1: Someone tried to murder me.
Speaker 6: She was lying there, room was full of gas. I pulled her out of the air. The office said soon out. I guess he didn't hear me. I thought she was coming too, so I had left her to turn off the gas where the key was gone. Well, she claimed somebody trying to murder her.
Speaker 10: She was a hysteric.
Speaker 5: Who'd wanna murder her? You kidding? A woman with her kind of money? You can be so sweet at times.
Speaker 6: Oh, I've got to rush.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 7: So I recorded the episode for Angel Face already, so ignored that spoiler from earlier, And you're gonna hear us talk about Angel face next week as we come back for more No Noir November. Until then, I want to think my co host Robert and ottos Robert, what is going on in your world, sir?
Speaker 4: I'm over on my YouTube channel, I have a weekly episode on They come out on Sunday. They're either a film reviews or they with guests like Mike does, or I interview people who work in the film industry, often authors with new film books. The episode I have coming out tomorrow, in some ways is one of my most personal ones because I've recently was in Brooklyn because a Criterion collection. As you both know, the Criterion Closet. They now have a replica that they put into a truck and people could line up and with their own Criteria Closet video. So I waited for four hours because I'm that crazy last Sunday and I got a video in so that will be and you only had three minutes inside from the time you stepped foot in it. And by the time I talked about three movies, they cut me off because I was like, so that'll be out tomorrow. But yeah, every Sunday I have a new episode. So you can go to my YouTube channel YouTube dot com slash Rubert Bellissimo at the Movies, and I am on x or Twitter, whatever you want to call it. My handle is at RB at the Movies and Instagram and Facebook. It's just the same name as the YouTube channel, Rubber Bellisimo at the Movies, and I see more and more people mentioning their letterbox handles nowadays, because that seems to be more popular than ever. So you can find me there at at our Bellissimo and Otto.
Speaker 7: How about you? Are you neck deep in all of your research for Victor Or Buono month next year?
Speaker 8: Madigan and I were just discussing you in Victor Bono the other day. No, but doctor Madigan and I were just discussing you in Victor Bono the other day. Mike, I've got a new book coming out next year. It's on Italian American baseball players with McFarland Publishers. And right now, actually we're starting to kind of get ready because in January of twenty twenty five, it.
Speaker 4: Is this is of course of you already know this, but a little bit of interest to you.
Speaker 8: It's the fiftieth anniversary of Barney Miller the television show and the one hundredth anniversary of Danny Arnold, the creator of Barney Miller. So I still have my Barney Miller book, and we're lining up some places where I'll be talking and signing books and doing stuff like that. But as far as all the the Internet and all that stuff, I'm still trying my hardest against all recommendations to remain a luddite.
Speaker 4: I try.
Speaker 8: I try to remain as unapproachable and unattainable as possible. Your special Mike, so I'm always I'm always happy to adopt to you. But eventually I'll probably become more accessible online, but I don't know, it depends.
Speaker 4: We'll see. We'll see where the world goes, particularly in Noir November. I hope it's not a real, truly Noir November for the world.
Speaker 7: On that note, thanks again guys for being on the show, and thanks to everybody for listening. Do you want to hear more of me shooting off my mouth check out some of the other shows that I work on. They are all available at weirdingwaymedia dot com. Thanks especially to our Patreon community. If you want to join the community, visit patreon dot com slash. Every donation we get helps the projection booth take over the world.
Speaker 2: My youngest I think I'm going, lie because I think.
Speaker 3: I'm going, and I know how.
Speaker 10: It's well, I just say, they're so young and so much to river free.
Speaker 3: You're sixty, can't you see i'n going? Line, because I think I'm going.
Speaker 5: And I know how.
Speaker 2: Also was a thank about so.
Speaker 10: So much younger.
Speaker 5: She was sick.
Speaker 4: Of those us loud.
Speaker 2: Not three sixty.
Speaker 10: And I think I'll go and blood.
Speaker 3: Yes, I think I'm old and blow.
Speaker 10: And I know about.
Speaker 2: That's all