Speaker 1: Judy was boring.
Speaker 2: Hello.
Speaker 3: Then Judy discovered Chumbucasino dot com.
Speaker 4: It's my little escape.
Speaker 1: Now Judy is the life of the party. Oh baby, mama is bringing home the bacon. WHOA, take it easy, Judy. Jump the Chumba life.
Speaker 3: That's for everybody, So go to chumpacasino dot com and play over one hundred casino style games. Join today and play for free for your chance to redeem some serious prices.
Speaker 1: Jump Chumpacasino dot com.
Speaker 4: No brig's necessary weight, We're go hit at my mom.
Speaker 1: Eighteen loss terms and condition to play. See website for details. Hey guys, it is Ryan.
Speaker 5: I'm not sure if you know this about me, but I'm a bit of a fun fanatic one.
Speaker 4: I can.
Speaker 1: I like to work, but I like fun too.
Speaker 5: It's a thing, and now the truth is out there, I can tell you about my favorite place to have fun, Chumba Casino. They have hundreds of social casino style games to choose from, with new games released each week. You can play for free anytime, anywhere, and each day brings a new chance to collect daily bonuses. So join me and the fun. Sign up now at Chumba Casino dot com.
Speaker 4: Noll prig Necessary, Dripod Where Everybody lost in terms of It? Eighty lab.
Speaker 5: Loop Toadian.
Speaker 2: You are now listening to True Murder, The most shocking killers in true crime history and the authors that have written about them Gasey, Bundy, Dahmer, The Nightstalker BTK. Every week another fascinating author talking about the most shocking and infamous killers in true crime history. True Murder with your host journalist and author Dan Zufanski.
Speaker 6: Good evening. When rookie FBI agent Mark Putnam received his first assignment in nineteen eighty seven, it was the culmination of a lifelong dream. If not the most desirable location. Pikeville, Kentucky, is high in Appellachian coal country, an outpost rife with lawlessness dating back to the Hatfields and McCoy's. As a rising star in the bureau, however, Putnam soon was cultivating paid informants and busting drug rings and bank robbers. But when one informant fell in love with him, passion and duty would collide with tragic results. A coal miner's daughter, Susan Smith, was a young, attractive, struggling single mother. She also was a drug user, sometimes described as a con artist. Thief and professional liar. Ultimately, Putnam gave in to Smith's relentless pursuit, but when he ended the affair, she waged a campaign of vengeance that threatened to destroy him. When at last she confronted him with a shocking announcement, a violent scuffle ensued, and Putnam, in a burst of uncontrolled rage, finally fatally strangled her. Though he had everything necessary to get away with murder, a spotless reputation, a victim with multiple enemies, and the protection of the Bureau's impenetrable shield, his conscience wouldn't allow it. Tormented by a year of guilt and deception, Putnam finally led authorities to Smith's remains. This is the story of what happened before, during, and after his startling confession. Revised and updated. This book also includes photos and a new epilogue by the author. Book we're featuring this evening is above Suspicion, an undercover FBI agent, an illicit affair, and a murder of passion, with my special guest, journalist and author Joe Sharky. Welcome back to the program, and thank you very much for this interview. Joe Sharky, Hey, Dan how are you doing. Thank you very much. I'm doing fine. Thank you. This is an incredible book. Tell us a little bit about how this was when this was first published in I Believe ninety three. Tell us how you came to be the author of this book, why you became involved, how you became involved.
Speaker 4: Well, as you know, true crime stories generally are in the in the headlines, this one was not. Mark Putnam's wife at the time, was desperate to get this story told because she was extremely frustrated with the way she thought the FBI was stonewalling her and trying to get to more of the truth about what had occurred. Neither she nor her husband, Mark Putnam, ever denied that that this that he did it, or the circumstances of it. Kathy Putnam, though, was just desperate to get the story out. And my agent at the time heard about Kathy and put me in touch with Kathy, And as I got to know her, I thought, this is really a remarkable story, a remarkable event. It was. It was below the media radar because it had occurred in this very isolated portion of Appalachia, and I thought more and more. Kathy was extremely forthcoming and her husband was available to talk in prison, and as I got you know, I spent some time in that part of eastern Kentucky and Pikeville, and then farther east along the Tug River where Susan Smith, the victim had grown up in a coal mine town, and more and more I realized there's a lot of richness in this story. So I sort of just dug into it, and above suspicion was the result.
Speaker 6: Went. Just as you write in the book, can we take us back to this time February eighty seven, Mark and Kathy Patnam, as you mentioned, and this is his first FBI finement, And so as you write in the book, in this small place Pikeville population forty five hundred East Kentucky and Susan Smith being directly related to the Hatfields, you tell us a little bit about and describe for us and set the stage for the reader about this area that has a great influence on this story. Tell us a little bit about this Pikeville, East Kentucky.
Speaker 4: Well, Pikeville is the metropolis as what was a forty five hundred population of the coal mine region in this part of eastern Kentucky, which also abuts just across the river West Virginia. You know the coal mine area of West Virginia. It's traditionally been an isolated area. It's still fairly isolated. The interstate at the time hadn't come anywhere near Pikeville. I think it was a place where outsiders traditionally had come in to extract things, starting with the lumber industry and then and then of course the coal mine barrens. And there was a place of up and down economy with with the coal mines. By the time I got there, and by the time this book was set a few years before that, everything had fallen on hard times. The coal mine economy was was in its just flopping around and not doing very well. It was It's a place where, I mean, I got very fond of eastern Kentucky, and particularly not just a Pikeville, but of the town where Susan Smith grew up, Cold Freeburn, which is right on the river, very much a coal mine town. Used to be a company town. Uh this let's you know, Susan grew up in this environment of isolation, suspicion, but extreme family orientation, if you know what I mean. There were there were always people around her who basically put up with her. She was a remarkably complex girl who had who had dreams of of getting out of that that that life, and I never sort of had the skills to uh to achieve those dreams. She was sassy, she was pretty. Uh. The picture of her that I have in the book is the only picture if I could get, and it doesn't really, you know, do justice to her. She was pretty, she was that, she was smart, although uneducated, uh, and she was desperate to uh to be something and had absolutely no no skills in order to get there. The the area is one of the themes in this book is the not just the isolation, but the important, the critical importance of what I think of as hillbilly hearsay. It's an area where at the time I don't know how it is exactly now. Word of mouth was how information sort of got passed from one place to another, and word of mouth had a tremendous influence on the way this story played out, or particularly on the fact when Susan Smith disappeared from her home and her family and her kids in Freeburn, Kentucky. The word of mouth helped to cement the idea that she had as she had gone, as she had done in the in the past, that she might have been off on some caper, that she she was involved in petty drug deals with some you know, shady characters, as was her husband, and she had been known to disappear before. She always took care to make sure that her children she had two kids, were looked after. And she wasn't that she was a horrific mother, that she had no major mothering skills, but she did look after her kids. So she disappears, and the hearsay is that, well she was, she's off to you know, Chicago or some place in Ohio on a drug deal, and that accounted for the fact that it took months, maybe six months, for it to become clear to particularly her sister who lived also in Freeburn on the on the River, that something was desperately wrong. Susan had not been in touch at all, and then the the mystery began as to who was who were the suspects, Who were the major suspects in Susan's disappearance, And of course, as is always the case, the husband in which this guy was a near do well but also a charming guy named named Kenneth Smith. He was the prime suspect. The local you know, the local cops had no crime to investigate. The county cops, so they you know, they did talk to him. They figured there were other suspects. There was a notorious bank robber again, a charming guy named Cat Eyes, who was you know, could have been a suspect. The Cat Eyes was in prison at the time. But the investigation, such as it was, was a missing person investigation and it really went nowhere for months and months and months and months. Well, Susan Smith's sister, Shelby, kept pressing the local cops to uh, you know, to get on with it. And Shelby knew one thing, and only one thing. She knew that that she had never met Mark Puttnam, the FBI agent. But she knew that Susan was always on about Mark Puttnam. Susan was Mark Putnam's informant. She was on the payroll of the FBI. She was helping Mark crackcases. And Susan told stories and it was hard to sort out what was really was, you know, what was a pipe dream for Susan. And Susan told stories about her affair with Mark Putnam. Now these stories were being told in far away, you know, forty miles away from pike pike Field, and people sorry shrugged and said, well, you know that's that's Susan. Maybe she is, you know, romantically linked with this guy, but there's no you know, there was no evidence of that at the time. So eventually Mark Putnam became focused, it became more out of focus as a potential suspect and what at the time was just a disappearance a missing person. It took Shelby a long long time to knock heads together and get the cops, to get the FBI to sort of get on this case because the FBI was horrified even the idea of one of its star young agents would be involved in something they the disappearance of a girl, and that all finally, about almost a year later, started to come into uh started to become a more serious investigation. In the meantime, Mark Putnam and his wife, who was a very assertive woman who got involved in the FBI's business very much in an office in Pikeville that was basically unsupervised from the higher FBI. They had gotten out of Pikeville on you on good terms, and Mark was as part of his reward for being such a crime fighter in Pikeville, was transferred with his wife and two kids at this time to the Miami Bureau, which was quite a prize. And in the Miami Bureau, as all this stuff was going on back in eastern Kentucky, Mark's Mark was a real boy scout and his conscience really preyed on him. Throughout the entire year. He kept thinking, well, they're going to find out, They're going to find out, but he didn't doing it. He didn't say anything until about a year later. He started making moves like we've got to get this thing clear, and it all came It all just came to ahead a year later when Mark, through a series of machinations with lawyers and with the prosecutor in Pikeville, decided that he was going to fess up, tell them that he had killed Susan Smith in a fit of passion, and tell them where the body was. And suddenly we had not just a missing we had not a missing person's case. We had we had a homicide. And the process of getting marked through that confession period struck me as very very interesting because the district attorney in Pike County, in Pikeville was kind of in a. He was a really interesting guy. John Paul Runyon was his name. Because he didn't have a body. He had somebody confessing to a crime that he had no evidence of except the fact that the person had been missing, and he had to very carefully, step by step concoct along with the attorney for Mark Putnam, on the other hand, a crime basically that Mark Puttnam could comfortably, comfortably I don't mean comfortably, but that Mark Putnam would in fact plead to eventually. The crime was second degree murder, and the deal was Mark had to tell them from Miami where the body was. Once that was agreed to and negotiated and put in place, the cops and the FBI were led to this scene where Mark had dumped the body on a sort of a mountain ravine not far from Pikeville itself, and they found the and Mark confessed. And in Kentucky, first degree murder is extremely hard to prove and the best the prosecutor could get. And I talked to him at great length when I was researching this book. Was second degree murdered, a prison sentence of twelve years, and Mark fled guilty, went to prison, to a federal prison because FBI agents I thought to be at some risk if they were in a state prison. And that in turn ignited another controversy in Pikeville, which was yankee, fair haired Yankee boy gets an easy easy, an easy sentence, and so that controversy is still going on in Pikeville. To me, the overall thrust of this book, that as I spent more and more time there and got to know Mark Putnam and his wife and the people who knew the citizen Smith, is that it was almost a classic track in that you had a hero who was brought low by his own hubris. Mark Putnam was was driven, he was up. You know, he literally was a boy scout. He was a high school and college soccer star. He believed firmly in the FBI. That was his dream. His wife was behind him, pushing all the way, and this this was really his dream, was to become an FBI agent. He was a really really good one. For most of his time in Pikeville. He was cracking cases. Susan Smith became an informant and she really helped him cracked some bankruptbery cases and things like that. He was looking really really good until of course it all it all just collapsed on everybody, not just Mark, but on Mark's family and of course on Susan's family and her two children. So that was the niche of my interest in it.
Speaker 6: Mm hmm. Let's go back, as you do in the book, though, to create this entire scenario where this boy scout FBI agent really looked like he was at all accounts he had a future, a really bright future. He was madly in love with his wife, they had children, and he was at this outpost. What you have in the book, though, is the complex relationship between his wife and this is a person with a little bit of a checkered past as well and redemption in her life, and then she met her dream Mark and Susan Smith, and the relationship with his wife Kathy, because she became an ally of Susan relating to her. So tell our audience about this relationship that developed that contributed to Susan falling in love. Tell us, as you do in the book, about this evolving relationship that contributed to this, as you say, tragic death.
Speaker 4: That's a very good point, and that to me is one of the most one of the most compelling aspects of this story is the two women is Kathy Putnam on the one hand, Mark's wife, Kathy Putnam, and on the other hand Susan Smith, the informant working for Mark Putnam. This I mean that the setting is important in that this office was an outposts just exactly as you say. It was not supervised. That there was one other agent and he was a goof off. So Mark Putnam was basically operating without in essence adult supervision, if you know what I mean, Kathy, it was a very I mean Kathy was a really aggressive, assertive woman who helped Mark in every way to becoming at the Eye agent in Connecticut where they both grew up. She because she involved herself in the the i's business because basically there was no there's no secretary in the office. She got to the point where she was handling a lot of the business at the FBI office. I don't mean the investigations, but taking the phone calls. And she got to know because Susan Smith had become so deeply involved as an informant with Mark, she got to know Susan and the one thing that I mean, I got to know Kathy very very well and also Mark. But Kathy was a helper She was one of these people who involved yourself, involved yourself in sort of not hopeless cases, but desperate cases. And Kathy fell in as a helper to Susan, and Kathy made it her business to try to put Susan on a better path. She kept telling her, you can, you can straighten things out, you can get there's a way to get out out of this situation. And Susan, for her this would mostly telephone conversations. Susan, for her part, began to model herself after Kathy. Kathy had a bit of a checkered background, as you say, but Kathy had had as a young adult, had really cleared all those things up. Kathy was pretty, she was poised, and to Susan Dies Kathy was the frosty queen, I mean, Kathy was nothing of the sort. But Susan began to model herself after Kathy in terms of the way she spoke. Susan was cognizant of the fact that she and I don't use this term hillbilly in any pejorative sense, but that she was considered a hillbilly. Susan tried to improve her grammar. Susan was always a reader, which always which fascinated me, and more to a great extent, Susan began to act like Kathy, and I don't know how that affected Mark, because Mark was thrown into intimate relation with professional relations with Susan. Kathy had no idea. Susan told her that she was in love with Mark, but Kathy had no idea that Mark would ever get involved into a romantic relationship with Susan. But it was interesting how those two I think of these two women as Kathy and Susan as orbiting around Mark, and I think to the extent that I that I could, you know, it being a non fiction book where you have to be accurate, I think I got that idea that these two women were involved in this tragic orbit around around Mark. And actually, actually when the movie was made many many years, not long ago, the star, the woman who the actress who played Susan the Dead, the dead Girl, the dead coal miner's daughter was Amelia Clark from a Game of Thrones, and that on location it became a Wilia made it clear that she really was driven to that aspect of the book in her portrayal of Susan Smith, and I said to her, Amelia, after I watched her work on location. I was a consultant on the shoot. I said, you've really brought this young woman to life, which is something I tried to do in the book. But I was astonished at how well Amelia understood all that and got the very interesting facets of Susan Smith, and she worked. Amelia worked day and night for three months on this movie shoot. But I think obviously I was not able to interview Susan Smith. I talked to both the people who knew her, and I got these various parts of her personality. But somehow Amelia seemed to just synthesize all that and she just nailed it. So I'm interested in seeing the finished movie when it comes out, and finally seeing Susan Smith almost in the flesh, if you know what I mean. But those two women fascinated me. I was Kathy was was determined to get the story told. Kathy was furious at what she thought of as the FBI having abandoned her husband in the sense that he wasn't supervised, that they kept pushing him to get more and more involved in these these crimes, and that her husband was not a victim. She never never saw that, but that her husband was pushed into areas that that should have been supervised a little bit better. There was an agent, another agent in the bureau who was in love with Susan Smith. He was a no good guy. He was an IAGO and he didn't he didn't know it, and he kept needling trying to get Susan Smith interested in him rather than interested in Mark. And Kathy just was determined to get to get this story out. And you know, I talked to the FBI, and particularly to the FBI agent in charge of this after the after the crime became known, and they were they were very very astonished at Kathy. Uh. They they they did. I think they did the right thing after Mark. You know, at the point that Mark confessed and they understood Kathy's frustration. She uh, she never let go and there was basically nothing they can could do about it at that point. But Kathy was right that and the FBI finally, the FBI UH supervisors finally admitted to me and and and also to the record that this was a real mistake. This was a black eye for the FBI, not just the fact that one of their star agents killed a female informant, but that he had been allowed and encouraged in fact, to keep that relationship going. And that was just that was just trouble. And I think the the FBI finally, you know, came to that conclusion. We made a terrible mistake here in letting in encouraging this guy to keep pushing and pushing and pushing, and in not giving a better advice about, Hey, this informant is UH is going to be trouble for you. You better, you better back off of it. So that that was the precipitating event was when Uh, Susan desperate. At this point, Susan was was almost delusional about her relationship with Mark. It was a short lived relationship. I'm hill billy. Hearsay is that these two had this torret affair. They didn't as far as I can determine, and I worked hard on this aspect of it. Uh, they might have had. They had a sexual relationship a couple of times in a motel in Pikeville and maybe once on a mountain road. Uh. From Mark's point of view, uh, and I you know, I blame him for this. He saw Susan essentially in a transactional way. She was helping him. She was deeply in love with him. He wasn't in love with her. She saw him as the white knight as they the nied on the white horse, who was gonna, you know, collect her and leader out of town to a better life. That was the case that that she was tragically mistaken in in how she saw Mark. She at some point in uh towards the end of this relationship, she thought she was pregnant. She had a pregnancy test at a local clinic that seems to indicate that she she was. There's some there's some dispute on that. It doesn't really matter. She confronted Mark. Mark had come back to town for a trial on a case that he had cracked earlier, and he had to come back for the pre trial motions. She confronted him with the fact that she was pregnant, that this was his child and that made certainly made sense. And unless he this, unless he agreed to marry her and you know, carry her off, she was going to expose the relationship to not not just to Kathy, but to the FBI and to the public, and that would ruin Mark's career. He suggested. At this point, they had a meeting place up up at a mountain up at a mountain plate the mountain part of town, away from prying eyes, because the prying eyes were everywhere in this part of the world. They went to this mountain place that they had gone to, this pull off that they had gone to many many times before it to discuss bureau business. And she I'm confident that this is this is accurate. Obviously I couldn't talk to her. She precipitated a fight. She was a fighter. I mean she was a physical fighter. If you crossed her in any any physical way, she'd fight. Uh. And she precipitated a fight, which Mark tried to tried to tone down the fight over you better you know, you'd better marry me and or I'll expose you. And here it became very intense at this dark mountain road away from any eyes whatsoever. That as she was beating on Mark, he grabbed her around the neck and told her to shut up, and then lost it. He strangled her. She this is this is from Mark's point of view. Now I talked to him in prison. She she sort of collapsed and he realized, oh my god, I might have killed her. And he realized that he did, and then he did something that I've never quite fully understood, although I understand it partially. The next morning, Mark was supposed to drive from Pikeville, where he had come back for this pre tile business, to Lexington, which is at least a two hour drive away to the FBI had to an FBI bureau office in Lexington to discuss the case that he had, the trial he had been working on with some FBI supervisors in that area. So Mark, being you know, the the the the obedient and Gunghill FBI agent that he was, now had a body and in a panic.
Speaker 6: He.
Speaker 4: Stripped Susan's body, put it in the trunk of his car, went back to his motel in Pikeville, spent a sleepless night frantic, and then the next morning drove to his meeting in Lexington with a body in his trunk of his car, thinking never be obviously, never being able to get that out of his mind, goes through the entire day thinking they're gonna They're going to see how how frantic I am. Nobody noticed that, they may have thought he was hung over. And after the after the day's business in Lexington, minds you with a car with his car parked and a body in the trunk. He drives back to Pikeville and drives up to an air another area that he knew uh in the mountains that was actually a strip mine area. Uh finds a pull off. He knows this area very well, and in a panic, dumps the body into a ravine and and drives off back to his motel, thinking, well, they're going to find this body and it's all going to be over, but then you'll have to fess up. Nobody ever found the body until he until a year later, So that that always struck me as first of all, horrifying that he drove with a day with a body in the trunk of his car. I talked to him in prison. He was very cooperative. He didn't try to make excuses, and he talked about that. And the reason I know how he felt is that he told me and I was. I came away from, you know, two days in talking to him in prison, with the impression that what he said was true, but there was no evidence that he that there was another part of this story. I was horrified by what he had done, of course, as was he, but I thought, okay, this guy's being straight. Every the stories matched up Kathy's story matched up the you know, a year goes by and he's frank, he's frantic with guilt, and finally, as the he's in Miami and he realizes the FBI. The local cops have got the ear of the FBI, and the FBI is beginning to look into this case with the absolute certainty that one of the agents could not possibly be involved. The FBI team that went to Pikeville basically came there with the idea, we got to clear clear this guy's reputation up and Mark, sensing that he was being figured as a suspect, went to his superior in Miami, gave some indication that he was ready to take a lie detector test. Reluctantly, they said, you know, you don't have to do that. What are you crazy? He did. They failed the lie detector test, and then the FBI started to be Okay, we got a problem here. This guy might be it might be the guy. And Mark, knowing that things were coming to a rapid conclusion, that that night told his wife that they were She had picked him up at an airport. He had gone for the lie detector test. Told his wife in an airport are a motel bar near the airport, he said, She said, you know she was obviously he was distraught. She said, all right. He indicated that it was a problem with Susan smith disappearance, Kathy said, And I have this from both Mark and Kathy. Kathy said they both had a couple of drinks. Kathy said, well, did you sleep with her? And Mark said yes. And Kathy had no idea that that would that would be the answer. Kathy was kind of naive on this point. And then Kathy sort of almost like just being sarcastic, what would you kill her? And Mark said yes, And Kathy's world crashed at that point. She wrote that her her world, her family's world. I mean, everybody had thought this guy was was just Dudley do right. Everything collapsed, and Kathy did her best to try to make sure that that Mark negotiated at least as good a deal as he could. As I said, none of neither of them ever indicated to me that they felt like they were victim victims. Kathy felt that she was. Kathy was furious at the FBI, but they both absolutely agreed that this is what happened, and that Mark never ever in my time talking to him and said that tried to deflect guilty was he almost felt like he had to punish himself.
Speaker 1: Step into the world of power, loyalty and luck. I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse. With family, canoli's and spins mean everything? Now you want to get mixed up in the family business. Introducing The Godfather at Champa Casino dot com.
Speaker 2: Test your luck in the shadowy world at the Godfather Slode.
Speaker 1: Some day I will call upon you to do a service for me. Play the Godfather now at Champa Casino dot com. Welcome to the family group.
Speaker 4: No purches necessary if we were privateed by loss Hee Terms and conditions eighteen plus.
Speaker 5: Lucky Land Casino asking people what's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky?
Speaker 1: Lucky?
Speaker 5: In line at the deli, I guess ah, in my dentist's office more than once.
Speaker 1: Actually do I have to say?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 1: You do? In the car before my kid's PTA meeting? Really yes, excuse me? What's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky? I never win? And tell well, there you have it.
Speaker 5: You could get lucky anywhere playing at Lucky landslots dot Com.
Speaker 1: Play for free right now, are you feeling lucky?
Speaker 3: No, we're not necessary void refer my Law eighteen plus terms conditions plus see what's every details.
Speaker 6: Let's do this as an opportunity Joe to stop for a second to talk about our sponsor, which is Honey. Holiday gift giving is great, but overspending is not. Why spend more if you don't have to? Finding the lowest price is easy when you use Honey. Honey is a free browser add on that finds the best deals online. You always get the best deals with over twenty thousand sites such as Amazon, eBay, j Crew, Sephora, Expedia, Target, best Buy, and more. I used Honey to buy Above Suspicion, the book that we're talking about tonight, and I save two dollars off the eight dollars kindle price twenty percent. I was impressed again that every purchase I've made, I've saved significant money. Very gratifying to save money. Honey has found it's over ten million members, over a billion dollars in savings. Honey supports over twenty thousand sites online stores online, and Honey is over one hundred thousand and five star reviews on Google Chrome Store. If you're buying gifts this holiday season. Then you need Honey. If you're not, you probably know someone who is, so do them a solid and tell them about Honey. Honey can make sure that you're getting the best price for whatever you're buying. It's free to use and installs inst two clicks Get Honey for free at Join Honey dot com slash murder. That's join Honey slash murder. Now, Joe, we are just going over, skipping over basically some of the incredible dynamics of this complex relationship that Susan finds herself in before in this fantasy that she has that she will rest Mark from his wife Kathy, even though she's friends with Kathy, and he'll leave his children, and like you say, she's delusional at this point, but we haven't talked about the situation with her husband, Kenneth that puts her in this incredibly vulnerable position. And then you talk about the tryst that they had a few times it had sex. Of course, Mark makes the incredible stupid move of not using a condom, and so he believes rightfully or at least he believes that he could possibly or could likely be the father of this child. And when you talk about the car and the meeting. She is is provoking him, and he is provoking her with talks of possible abortion, and then he and Kathy taking over the child from Susan. Well, you talk about really go ahead.
Speaker 4: That was a really good way to trigger Susan, was to indicate that he was going to continue life with Kathy. I hate to use the word delusion. If Susan had pipe dreams, if you know what I mean she I think it's important you mentioned the husband and also the mill. You that Susan grew her entire it spent her entire life in a hopeless place. Really and Mark this was important. Mark was the only man that ever treated her with respect. Mark knew how to treat women. He'd grown up you know, in a in a I don't mean politically conservative, but he grown up in an environment as a kid. And also you know, as a college student and getting into the FBI, where you behaved, well, you had some you had some sense of courtesy and comportment. And he always treated Susan with respect. He treated her as a as a person of some some you know, worthy of respect. She was blown away by that. No one had ever treated her that way. And I think it kind of led to her absolute misapprehension about any future that she might have with Mark. And she certainly thought, well, this guy and I are going to get out and my kids are going to get out of this awful environment and go to something much happier life. So that was really important with Susan's this apprehension. And I talked to, of course, everybody who knew Susan when she was growing up and had absolutely fit with their assessment of her. She had pipe dreams. She she she thought she might be an entertainer at some point, because she was apparently not a bad singer. She she she always thought that things were going to be better than they were, and she never really did anything to achieve that. Kathy kept importuning her, as it were, you can you can get out of this environment, but you got to take step A, step B, step C. You have to get yourself away from her husband kind of was abusive, kind of friends were shady characters. She's got all these other characters that that sort of braided through her life, including Cat Eyes, the notorious but actually kind of inept bank robber. There were a lot of banks in this area at the time. No big banks had come into this part of halp of A that there were small banks in every town and cat Eyes made a living robbing these banks. He'd spend time in prison and me get out and he'd rob some more banks. Cat Eyes was always if cat Eyes had money, everybody, all his friends had money. He was generous and he wasn't violent. He was just a kind of an antique character who robbed banks. And he was part of that environment with Kevin, with Kenneth, Raather and Susan had the good sense and of this is not this is not going to end well. So she kept flailing about trying to think how am I going to get out of this mess? And Mark Putnam was the way out.
Speaker 6: There was also the incredible lure of money. You talk about how poor this area was, so for the first time Sherry could boast things but also back it up with buying the things that she was deprived of when she was young. And also you talk about that also that this Sherry justice and cat Eyes in her whole entire family, and Kenneth Smith as this trial that Mark was fortunate enough to have Susan involved with helped him build his career in the Bureau. This was more and more endangering her with her own family, and people that had threatened her and had actually made their threats turned them to beatings. So she was increasingly in a precarious, doubtful situation. Then she believed she was pregnant, told people she was pregnant, told people she was vulnerable, invulnerable and had FBI protection. And those are the kinds of things that she said to him, to Mark in that meeting, that she was provoking him and provoked him to kill her, didn't he.
Speaker 4: Susan helped Mark with a lot of cases, but the major one. Mark was involved in other other investigations, but the major one involving Susan was cat the the trial for Cat Eyes robbing a bank. And from the Bureau's point of view, and of course they looked at at at cases being solved, and you know they from a distance, they looked at these things. It was remarkable that Mark persuaded his informant, Susan Smith, to testify in this trial against Cat Eyes. Now, this is an area where everybody knows everybody, everybody knows everybody's family, and I mean this goes back and back. You know, grudges are being are held here. This, as you noted, is where they had Field McCoy few who played out exactly right there. And it's that kind of an environment where there's there's suspicion, there's there's an idea that you don't you certainly don't wrap anybody out. And Susan went public at the trial, well uh, and that really expected that. That was the most I think, the most brave things she did, but also the most stupid things she did because she put herself out front, and that of course caused lots of you know, Cat Eyes's girlfriend Sherry, a couple of you know a bit later after the trial beat Susan up I think in Pikeville. But it also created an atmosphere where you had, you had potential suspects when Susan went missing, you had certainly, you know, you had you had criminals. You had friends and family of criminals. And when I say criminals, it's again it's kind of an antique kind of I don't mean to, uh in any way justify the crime, but we're not talking people shooting each other in the head, with bank robberies and drug deals and things like that. That kind of crime at that at that level. But you had a bunch of were involved in this in this area, and so there were suspects to look at when Susan disappeared, and Susan had created a bit of a local scandal by going public with informing on a bank rubber.
Speaker 6: Yeah, she also had that pressure right from her husband that knew that they lived together. It is very odd they lived together despite the fact that he knew she was an informant for the FBI. And then he spread rumors around the Pikeville that she was sleeping with Mark and that they had He had some account of them publicly sleeping or having sex in front of a restaurant in broad daylight. So that kind of pressure, and then you introduced this again you call it a slimy character. This FBI guy named Ron Poole that has the hots for Susan is calling Kathy, Mark's wife. And then Kathy, like you said, she's a very interesting character, but she is holding back some information from Mark. She wants to get the hell out of Pikeville.
Speaker 4: Kathy's desperate at this point. Kathy arrived in Pikeville really ready to ready to accommodate herself, and she found that she was, she had no friends there with the exception of Susan. And at the point we're now talking about, Kathy was desperate, desperate, desperate to get her, Mark and their children out of Pikeville because she said the environment was just stultifying to her, and it also had become terrifying as more and more criminals became involved in basically the family life, because there was no separation between her and Mark and Mark's wife Mark's work. So Kathy is very much a a force here here. Uh, well, Kathy's working very hard to get Mark out of town. Ron Poole, the FBI agent you just mentioned, uh, is a real uh screw up. He's the reason he's a veteran agent. The reason Ron is in Pikeville is because nobody wanted to deal with him in more important offices. Ron as just as you said, had the hots for Susan. So you've got you've almost got an Iago character here that he's he's just working conniving to get Ron wants Mark Putnam out of the way. And Ron is pressing on Susan, pressing her, and she is aware of that, and she's terrified of Ron. Uh. And she's aware that if Mark Putnam is not on the scene. Ron is the guy she has to deal with. He had been wheedling Kathy, telling Kathy that Susan of course, was telling everybody that she had this relationship with Mark, telling Kathy that that Susan was was going around ragging about her intimate relationship with Mark and making Kathy even more uh frantic and uh. Ron never knew anything really about about this relationship except with what Susan had had told that what he'd heard Susan saying. He's sort of he's almost a peripheral character, but he's just in there. He's just causing trouble that that actually adds to the to the the circumstances that make this whole thing blow up. Eventually. Ron was in there just a needling Mark. Ron was the guy that told Mark that he'd seen the showed Mark the medical the clinic UH report that said Susan was pregnant. So Ron was a fascinating character. Me and and Ron's idea was I mean, Ron's goal was this, He wanted Susan. That was his goal. He was basically he worked drug deals, but he was all over the place. He was he was just off the reservation, frequently running drug deals. Rond's most interested The thing that interested Ron Ron is dead now. The thing that interested him most was women. He was he was just that was that was his goal was an FBI agent, was was to just have women. And eventually the FBI sanctioned him after all this ended. And you know, as I talked to Jim Huggins, the FBI supervisor on this case, who became involved very late in the process, but just went down the Gangbusters and into Pikeville. Uh, Jim Hoggins just basically shrugged his shoulders in dismay at the role of Ron Pool in all of this and just said that the agency should never have sent round Bull to this place. And they were just horrified at Rumbull. He died five or six years ago, but he was a factor, and he was the one that was working on Kathy to try to get her even more frantic about getting out of town. So Kathy being who she is, and Kathy explained all this to me in great detail over a long period of time. As he was researching the book, Kathy began to on her own make overtures to known criminals because Kathy knew that if an FBI agent's family was considered to be in danger, the agent would be transferred bome right out of town to Kathy. In a very strange and almost perverse way, worked on one particular criminal trying to get at least enough information that they were in danger that would cause the FBI to transfer her and the transfer Mark and the family out of town. That was all part of the weird circumstances that were playing around this fairly basic case of murder. But you had all these people that had different goals, that had no idea. It was like these two like a bunch of trains that were coming at each other and couldn't see each other that finally just collided.
Speaker 6: When you talk about this year of remorse and guilt, and then every time the phone rang that Mark thought, okay, the gig is up. And then he was getting like he had volunteered, almost putting the noose around his neck to submit to a polygraph. That's very stupid, But they said, yeah, that's crazy because this would interfere with your promotion. So this is the odd ironic stuff that was going on in that year of him thinking that they're going to find the body that I'm going to have to confess I'm not really good at this at all. He had covered up his wound on his hand with some lame excuse. But it's very interesting, very very interesting, how savvy and how strong and how supportive Kathy was when she found out the truth and then Mark again was trying to commit legal suicide by submitting to a polygraph. This is one of the most exciting and interesting and edge of your seat parts of this book. Tell us about this meeting that was supposed to be and what Kathy does, which is instrumental in him not spending the rest of his life in prison. I think.
Speaker 4: Kathy, true to form charges we're now in Miami or now at the end of this horrible story, horrible event, Kathy charges when she realizes that Mark is planning to have is planning to have this polygraph test. Kathy charges in to the FBI, and she now confronts the FBI guy in charge in Miami, finds out that the options are fairly limited. She then on her own again. Because Kathy was always always pushing, basically beats it into her husband's head that they don't number one, they don't have a case. He's obviously a suspect. But they don't have a crime, they don't have a body. What they have is a missing person's investigation. So I mean the FBI jurisdiction except it's one of their agents, is kind of limited in a missing person case that's kind of a local or state case. Kathy beats it into his head that he needs to he needs to get some good legal advice and that obviously he has to face the music here, but there are ways that he can he can limit his exposure, and through Kathy's pressure, he does decide. They do decide to get a lawyer who then negotiates, very very skillfully negotiates with the the good old boy John Bull Runyon, who has seen everything in Pikeville, negotiates a step by step if this guy tells you, I finally you know it comes down to this guy will tell you. This guy will admit that there's a there's been a homicide, tell you where the body is, and then this whole thing can be can come to a conclusion. But we need a deal, and they did work out a deal that Mark would be would receive twelve years in prison, which is a fairly light sentence, and John Paul run in. The prosecutor in Pikeville is of course aware of the local reaction to any any when when this whole thing finally comes explodes. He's I mean, he's an elected prosecutor, he's been around forever. He's aware that he's going to be on the spot for giving what may look like a break to this this FBI guy, this this yankee from Connecticut who sailed in and murdered a local girl and kind of gets a break. So he was in a terrific fix. And I think, you know, he took me over this step by step, and he was always troubled me to the end of his life by the reaction to it, because, as he told me, he had no he had no other choice. He had to get the best deal he could get in terms of being a prosecutor, and that was to have more confess to clear this thing up. And Okay, so he gets twelve years in a federal prison, and that's the best deal they could get. There was a lot of furious reaction in Pikevielle to that, and I think to this day, these things never go away in that part of Kentucky. To this day, there's a fury about that and I went down back to Pipeville and Freeburn Well right after the movie had been shot a couple of years ago, and kind of re researched a lot of these talked to a lot of people who had been who were in the original edition of the book. And it's still very raw. It's amazing because it's now, what thirty years later, how raw the emotions are over the fact that this outsider, this yankee got a deal. Now Mark is out of prison, Now he got out and ten I think it was. I guess I'm not spoiling the story because in the apologue of the current edition of the book, Kathy tragically dies of a heart attack at age thirty eight. Now, I was in touch with Kathy throughout this process because she just became essentially after the book was published. She became in a way of friend, and I was always I always had an ear to listen to her. And what I didn't realize, and I truly didn't in long conversations with her on the phone, was that Kathy was drinking very heavily at the time. She was basically ruined, her life was ruined, and she stayed faithful. I mean she still you know, stayed faithful to Mark, but eventually her health just went downhill and she had a heart attack and she died at age thirty eight to one of that's in the epilogue of the book of just one of the additional tragedies in this story.
Speaker 6: You right too, that she was so supportive. He was in a federal prison in Minnesota. What did Kathy do as a result.
Speaker 4: Kathy became a prison a prisoner's wife. She went to see him, even though you know that Kathy was now had moved back to Connecticut to be near her parents, who were always supportive of her but kind of frustrated by her. She did what She stayed with the kids for as long as she could in a financial sense, close close to the prison, but then moved back to Connecticut. She stayed in close to She was on the phone, she had the kids were on the phone with Mark whenever they could be. From Mark's point of view, Kathy was now here is where I You know, I have to reassess a little bit about Mark, because he became a little hostile talking to me about Kathy. That Kathy was she wouldn't give up on this FBI obsession. But I think he did realize that that Kathy was drinking something I didn't realize, drinking a lot, something I didn't really twig on, and he became in prison, deeply frustrated and worried about the children. Now that's the part of the story that I know much less about at this point, except you know, when it all when it collapsed and Kathy, Kathy died and the grandparents took the children, and Mark is now out of prison, the kids are living and there of course adults, they're living in Florida, Marcus in Florida, And that's sort of just where things stand after thirty years after this horrible thing occurred.
Speaker 6: Tell us about the movie and the whole attempt or the effort to put this on film.
Speaker 4: That's a that's a really good question, because the book is you know, what's the book? Three hundred and fifty pages or one. And when the movie finally happened, to my astonishment, I thought this is never gonna happen. Once they once they signed Amelia Clark, the thing went and I thought, well, how are they going to tell this story? Because there are really two parts of the story. There's the there's the crime, and then there's the other stuff that's very complex, including Mark's year of being having his guilty conscience weighing on him. I thought, how are they going to tell this, and that they did it. You know, a movie is two hours long, and you know, I looked at that. I saw the script and I thought, okay, well, they kind of boiled this stuff. One of the hitches was when the movie started filming and they had to shoot in Harlan, Kentucky, because Pikeville had sort of become a little spruced up, and Harlan, Kentucky, a coal mine town somewhat to the west of Pikeville, looked like pike what Pikeville looked like in nineteen eighty nine. So they shot there and throughout it. There was a three month shoot. The director was Philip Noyce, who's been accomplished director, and of course the star was Amelia Clark. Amelia was deeply concerned that she'd get Susan's death right because she was playing basically, you know, a dead girl. And Amelia told me she'd read read my book a couple of times. She had a dog eared, but she really was she was a really hard worker. She really tried to get Susan right, and I think I think she really nailed that. I myself, I've never been in loved in a movie. I actually thought it was a wonderful experience spending time on a location where you have like two hundred Hollywood people, crew and stars show up with this little isolated town and accommodate themselves to it. And I thought, this is interesting. You've got all these skilled people who are you know, just they just show up like it's it's just like an event to them, and they make themselves comfortable. It was a dry town, dry county actually, and so they arranged those runs two hours across the mountains to Tennessee and brought back. You know, there were supplies of booths and by and rage. There was like one motel in town. They were all crammed into that. Some of the stars had houses that were rented, you know, nearby. Amelia and her assistant were in a house nearby. But it was like interesting to me how these people basically just got into it day in and day out. They start shooting at seven in the morning or even before sometimes and wrap up at eleven o'clock at night. Nobody was complaining, And I thought this is an interesting business. I looked at the you know, when you write a book, you do it on your own. But I saw the movie and I thought, look at the collegiality here. Everybody is working toward the same goal, and that's a bunch of people involved. So I really enjoyed the movie experience, and I can't wait until the movie comes out.
Speaker 6: When is the estimated time that it will date that it should be released?
Speaker 4: When will it be released? Yeah, that's that's become tricky, the producers and the financial people. I think now I'm talking out of class here because I'm basically there's radio silence about this as regards me because I'm a pain that became a reporter. There was there was there was there was a trouble uh involved involving the release. The movie has been released weirdly enough in the Middle East and in Turkey. Uh So it was months ago it was available at the you know, the cinemas in Dubai in with Arab with with Arab Arabic subtitles, and in Turkey where where it was dubbed uh. And so the movie has been released in in in the Middle East and Turkey, also in Spain on pay per view, which is weird. Right now, there's no release date. I'm told it's going to be early in two thousand and twenty, but we shall see. It's very it's very frustrating, not just to me, of course, but to the you know, the people who worked hard on this movie felt noise. And Amelia and Jack Hughes who played Mark Putnam, and one of the interesting characters was Johnny knox still is in the movie on the location. Johnny was like the star in town. She was he was the one that says, this tiny little town, but he was the one who was the celebrity. And Amelia, who of course is brown hair and she's you know, unassuming and and sort of quiet. They felt that she would be the celebrity, but she really wasn't. People didn't really recognize her from from uh uh, from the TV series Game of Throw.
Speaker 6: What is called Game of Thrones, Yes, Game of Thrones.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, Johnny Knoxville was the guy everybody followed. Yeah, wow, So I had fun. I mean, I really enjoyed the movie, and I saw It's clear to me that they made a very good movie that they had they had to they had to boil the story down to something that was manageable in movie form. Uh. The screenwriter was Chris Duralmo, who wrote Mississippi Burning. And Chris and I have since become pretty good friends. And I thought that Chris, under you know, difficult circumstances, got got it basically right. He and I went round and round initially, but then you know, I realized Chris, Chris wrote.
Speaker 6: I wrote a book, and Chris wrote a movie, and he did a great job capturing what I think I think he did.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, And Philip Noyce, Uh, you know, this big gruff direcord worked day and night, and I was just amazed at help on his toes Philip was when things didn't go exactly right, he just he just innovated and it was It was a good experience.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it is fascinating, fascinating to watch an actual movie being shot. But also you had the the privilege of being able to see the screenplay and then see how that screenplay plays out and how they deal with that. So that's that was fascinating.
Speaker 4: And the uh, you've heard this about Hollywood that when they adapt the book, the writer is generally the writer of the book is generally not somebody they want to deal with once they get rolling, And it was unusual in that they welcomed me on the set. They were they were just as cordial and gracious as could be, and they made me sort of feel like part of the crew. And I really admired Philip Noyce for that. Philip was just gracious and the whole the whole crew were as well as the stars. Just I felt that I was part of the process, and I tried to stay out of the way as much as possible. Once I walked into a shot, not knowing that they were that they were filming, and I heard Philip from down the street cut and then through his megaphone, Oh you're in the shot, And I.
Speaker 6: Thought, yeah, now you cast them a bit of money. Yeah, very interesting. Yeah, well, I you know, I think though too that I had predicted a few years ago, so that, you know, Hollywood has run out of ideas. So I think the thing that hasn't in mind whatsoever has been true crime and true crime books and from true crime authors. And so if you're going to look for a consultant, somebody that's going to advise on set, he might as well go to that author and It really is a great package deal that that person has given these filmmakers and done all that investigative work, so they certainly don't have to go back and do it. And then as the author and the expert on this subject and this story, they go to you and understandably they get what they need. So very interesting.
Speaker 4: Well, I think they need to ascertain first that the author is going to behave you know what I mean. They knew that I was not going to cause any trouble like, oh, this is not my vision. I'm smart enough to stay out of the way. They know what they're doing I don't in terms of a movie. So that was a good relationship.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Absolutely. This this is an open road media re release and this was originally in nineteen ninety three, and this is a twenty and seventeen. Tell us just a little bit about the revise and updated version, and tell us how they might take a look at your work. You have a Facebook page, website. Tell us about that.
Speaker 4: Well. The book was originally published in hardcover by Simon and Schuster in what was in nineteen ninety three. It was optioned almost immediately by the movies, and it's one of these tales where it took what twenty five years to make the movie. Once that became clear, open Road Media a kind of a company that does a lot of republication of books that suddenly have have more have come back into public awareness. They were I've dealt now, you know, with many publishers. Open Road was a delight to deal with, and they encouraged me and I of course jumped right into it to add what I could to the existing book, and I did that, particularly in a new, lengthy epilogue. They were absolutely delight delightful to work with, and they still promote the book very effectively. On Amazon. They have every once in a while they have a sale that you can you can buy the e book edition, not not not the print edition for whatever one or I'm like, okay, uh, the printed the print edition is Uh. It was a good experience. It's a good editorial experience. And the book is available of course on Amazon or wherever else you might you might buy a book. I assume it's in bookstores and they get the new edition because that's got a lot of news. The epilogue. I'm very proud of the epilogu because, as I said, I went back there right after the movie was finished, and spent time talking to everybody in Pikeville that I had taught in Freeburn. And some of these people don't come out well in the book, and I thought, well, maybe something I want to shoot me here. But it's just this hospitable area and people were welcoming and ready to tell me what they knew that they didn't know thirty years ago. So overall was good experience and I'm pleased with the current edition of the book.
Speaker 6: Well, it's fantastic. Thank you very much Joe Sharky for talking about Above Suspicion an undercover FBI agent, and I listened fair and a Murder of passion. It's an absolute pleasure. Joe Sharky, thank you so much.
Speaker 4: It's my pleasure.
Speaker 6: Thank you. Good night,