Speaker 1: One thing about this gene is the invisible and tangibles that they have.
Speaker 2: This team is really becoming a family.
Speaker 3: Let's not play one on Tom. Let's lend it.
Speaker 4: I love writing me these guys after the show.
Speaker 5: So just thank you, give me all.
Speaker 1: Your attention, your fire, not a pisses.
Speaker 6: This is world champion, Dodger world championing for a small soft time.
Speaker 1: They get up people what they want to die too in a row two is special. I'm like, yeah, it's not a headache one of them con this ball's gone. You ready to go? Sure?
Speaker 7: Hell old time to the sound grab your phone.
Speaker 6: To get in on the show called eight six six nine eighty seven two five seven and go to the show.
Speaker 1: And now your host of Dodger Talk, David Basse.
Speaker 7: Welcome to Dodger Talk.
Speaker 8: David Basse, with you until five thirty, taking your phone calls at eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy. The Dodgers defeat the Pirates today by a final score of nine to two. They take the series two out of three after losing the first game being shut out by Paul Skeens. So they come back and take care of business against the Pirates and that's kind of the trend of the Pirates ever since calling up Paul Skeens last year. They were fifteen and eight when Skeens made starts, and when he was not starting games, they were seventeen games under five hundred. And we saw why the Dodgers took care of business winning the last two. And with the Marlins coming to town for these three games, the Dodgers are going to see Sandy a Contra in the middle game of this series. So at the very least, the Dodgers should take two out of three, if not sweep the Marlins in this next series and head out on a long ten game road trip feeling good about themselves.
Speaker 7: And they were feeling good about themselves today.
Speaker 8: Trust me, Otani was joking around with me on the field after the game. Ta Oscar was all smiles, Paz Mookie, the whole team was feeling good about the way today's game went, especially after their starting pitcher Tyler Glass Now went down after throwing just seventeen pitches in the first inning. As he was warming up for the second inning. The last warm up pitch he threw, you saw him scream in pain as he came off the mound and we were all wondering, wait a minute, is that cramps again?
Speaker 7: It wasn't.
Speaker 8: It was a right shoulder discomfort is what the Dodgers are calling it.
Speaker 7: So we want to know what's going on.
Speaker 8: So let's head downstairs to hear from Tyler Glass now right now on Sports at LA.
Speaker 9: Yeah, just frustrated. I guess it's just just at extension trying to throw something grabbed. I think, just making a lot of changes, trying to figure out a way to stay healthy. I think some of the changes have had that other things kind of taken over, and I'm just at this point, I'm just trying to figure out what to do, and it's just extremely frustrating.
Speaker 6: Yeah, are you.
Speaker 1: Having any imaging done to kind of get a better.
Speaker 9: I'm not sure yet. I think we're just going to try and figure it out, give it some a couple of days and see what it is.
Speaker 10: But I haven't really talked to him about a plan yet.
Speaker 9: Did you feel that last warm up forro or have you been feeling it throughout the outing. It's it kind of comes and goes, and I think, like I said, just some of the adjustments I've made prior, I think like something I'll feel something that maybe changed something else in my mechanics, and it just seems like nothing. I surely have been connected, but it was mostly warming up for that second inning. It changes really the way to ball stuff. And this is I think mechanical stuff, like anytime you change something I've done for a long time to try to prevent an injury. I think it's just other things are taken over, other things are there's more stress in other parts. And I just said, I don't know, I'm just trying to I'm trying to figure it out. One of those things that like Dave kind of is aware of going in.
Speaker 3: That's why it kind of dropped out as quickly as he did.
Speaker 9: It had been a little thing before and it's kind of gone away. And I think making like subconscious changes over time, and it just for some reason today, all of a sudden that second ning, like going out and trying to throw that that warm up. I just think, like maybe probaly that too. A few the game, just being a little hesitant, and then I don't know, all of a sudden in the second ending, it like really I started to feel it.
Speaker 7: All right. That was Tyler Glass now on Sports net La.
Speaker 8: I was a little surprised considering that they're talking about right shoulder discomfort that automatically he's not going to want some imaging MRI something on his right shoulder to see what's going on. And then you hear him talk about how he's made some adjustments, and I don't know, can you translate what he said. It sounds like he just didn't feel right and he came out of the game. And I'm not going to question anybody whether they feel like they're injured or not. That's going over the line. So if he's saying he's not well enough to pitch, that's fine. But don't you think that after the way things ended last year and the way things have started this year, it's more than just mechanical adjustment. If there's a real structural issue there, I think for all parties involved, it would make sense to get an MRI on his right shoulder if that's the reason why he came out after only seventeen pitches today. It's just a puzzle that so far the Dodgers have not been able to solve when it comes to keeping Tyler Glass now healthy. They did it for twenty two starts last year, and then all of a sudden, things just completely went off the rails when Dave Roberts in Atlanta was expecting him to throw a simulated game and he warmed up in the bullpen at Turner Field, and then he walked out and went walked into the dugout and walked into the clubhouse and that was the end of his season. Nobody's really explained that, either, including Tyler, and then he never had any surgery to correct whatever shut him down for the rest of the season and the postseason, and he seemed like a normal starting pitcher in spring training. And now we're at this point again where when he's explaining what's going on, it just doesn't make sense.
Speaker 7: I'm sorry.
Speaker 8: Maybe I'm not smart enough to understand, but it doesn't make sense. Maybe Dave Roberts can help us understand. Let's head downstairs to hear from the manager.
Speaker 11: Long term concern probably not, I think short term, just trying to find some consistency, obviously availability, how he's feeling mechanically, physically, whatever it might be. There's concern there. What happens in the coming days, I don't know right now. I think in the next couple of days we'll have some more answers to kind of see where we go short term, but you know, we're.
Speaker 10: All frustrated potentially.
Speaker 11: I mean, he's had some a lot of imaging, but if there's more imaging, I'm not sure. I'll let the training staff and the doctor's handle that. That's certainly a possibility. You know, we got to get him to a place where we feel he feels that when he takes the mound, he can go out there and you know, be the guy that he's capable of being. And you know, until we get to that point, I think that the I L is certainly a conversation.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well you've talked about just offensively like kind of sometimes guys just mentally in Korea.
Speaker 1: Is that also the case sometimes for pictures?
Speaker 6: That could that be something with him just you know, needing to kind of find that space mentally to kind of know that he can be the stuff.
Speaker 11: Can be there.
Speaker 7: Again, it doesn't work.
Speaker 10: Well, it's just with with Tyler. It's hard because.
Speaker 11: You know, but not feeling good the past injuries, you know, how his bodies not synced up, the mechanics of it. There's a lot of different pieces that you're trying to suss out to put him in the right mental place to perform, and so we haven't got there. We're not there, and so I don't know the solution right now, but we've got to kind of number one, make sure he's healthy.
Speaker 10: And then kind of go from there. As you know, his shoulder was an issue, not at all, not at all.
Speaker 11: I saw Tyler out there shaking his arm and you know, you know, in between the warm up pitches into the second inning, and then at that point in time, I wasn't going to have him keep continue to pitch.
Speaker 8: All right, there's manager Dave Roberts, very measured with his words and basically fit to be tied.
Speaker 7: He has no answers for this guy right now.
Speaker 8: I mean basically he's saying that, you know, it's basically mental. And ever since spring training began, the Dodgers have been preaching to Tyler Glass now, just because you don't feel like everything is perfect doesn't mean you can't go out there and compete. And I feel like when Dave Roberts says everybody's frustrated, it feels like that's where it stems from. And you can't keep putting the bullpen in a precarious position. There are other games that Tyler Glass now doesn't pitch that the Dodgers need the bullpen now. Tomorrow, the onus is on Dustin May to go deeper in the game against the Marlins because today essentially was a bullpen game. And is it really fair to Ben Casparius, a rookie who's not making nearly even a tenth of what Tyler Glass now is guaranteed from the Dodgers, to come out here and pick him up every fifth day. That's not fair to his teammates. I'm sorry, somebody's got to stand up for the other guys that are making minimum wage on this team compared to a guy that was guaranteed over one hundred and thirty something million dollars. If things don't feel great, you've got to pitch through it. And look, like I said, I'm not questioning whether or not he was hurt or not. That's way over the line. So if he said he wasn't feeling right and he was concerned physically, that's one thing. But if things the way Dave Roberts described it sounded like, you know, it's more than just physical. And for the Dodgers as a whole. Like I said, you can't have Tyler Glass now go out there and tell you yeah, I'm good, and then he only goes out there for an inning, or only three innings, or only four innings.
Speaker 7: That's just not fair to the rest of the team. It's not fair to the rest of the bullpen.
Speaker 8: Tyler Glass now, in two years with the Dodgers, has only thrown one hundred and fifty two innings.
Speaker 7: This year, he's only thrown eighteen.
Speaker 8: As a whole, the Dodger starters have only thrown one hundred and twenty five and two thirds innings.
Speaker 7: That's the fewest in baseball.
Speaker 8: Their relievers have thrown the most innings of anybody else in baseball, one hundred and twenty one.
Speaker 7: And it's not like the.
Speaker 8: Dodgers are going to have starters throw two hundred innings. That's not what I'm talking about. But you can't put your bullpen in this position. And yeah, he should go on the il until he figures out what's going on physically and mentally, so he doesn't put his team in a bad spot, not only the day he pitches, but the three days after.
Speaker 7: It's a team.
Speaker 8: It's not just about Tyler glass now. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. Despite all that, the Dodgers won nine to two thanks to the offense, and don't let anybody tell you anything differently. Last year's World Series run had a lot to do with the bullpen, but it had even more to do with their offense. And when their offense is hitting on all cylinders, they can overcome their starter going only one inning like they did today. It was a big day for Andy Pa has a career high four RBIs, tied a career high four hits, a two run home run.
Speaker 7: He had ten hits in three games.
Speaker 8: Ta Oscar Hernandez, who is a great teammate, hit his two hundredth home run and he seemed even more excited for Poz his home run. That's the type of guy Taoscar Hernandez is, and that's why everybody loves him and that's why it was vital for the Dodgers to bring him back. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Riverside Ish. You're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 3: Hi, Ish, Hey, David, what's up man?
Speaker 12: How's it going?
Speaker 10: Dude?
Speaker 3: How you being.
Speaker 7: Well good ish?
Speaker 3: What do you got? All right? So I just want to unpack it a little bit, you know, you know, basically have two questions pack it.
Speaker 7: We need a hot take. What do you got for us?
Speaker 8: What's your opinion on We don't need ish from Riverside to unpack anything.
Speaker 10: I love it.
Speaker 3: I love it all right. So here's the bill to your point about the bullpen. Yes, I'm looking at Banda to say Banda three and oh, Caspira's three and oh. With the exception of like Yamamoto, it's pretty much the bullpen that they've got their leading the pitching staff in like wins. So I guess my question is like in a in a in a overall, I know it's just April, it's gonna be a long season, but I'm looking at like hits her up, walks her up, like what is going on now this?
Speaker 10: David?
Speaker 3: This ties into one of the main reasons I was calling about Tyler Glasnal. So he said something in his interview about having to make some adjustments and things like this to prevent injuries. To me, that sounds very systemic, systematic, right, So I guess the question for you is can we get some more information on that. I mean, is there you know what The.
Speaker 7: Information is that his whole career has been injury plagued. This is not a new thing.
Speaker 8: His whole career. When he's on the mound, he's great. When he's on the mound, he's great. But availability is a huge part of being a major league pitcher, and his availability has not been there consistently.
Speaker 7: So that's the issue.
Speaker 8: I mean, I can't get it doesn't even sound like his manager can get into what's going on. It didn't sound like Dave Roberts had any idea. It's sounded like they've done imaging, They've tried to look at things. It just seems like, obviously the Dodgers have to get Tyler Glass now to buy into whatever they're trying to get him to do as a pitcher to try to remain healthy, and so far it hasn't worked. And a lot of that, you know, there's only so much the Dodgers can do. It's something that Tyler has to buy into and believe that when and he gets into that wind up and he's going to fire on all cylinders, that he's gonna be okay.
Speaker 7: It's not going to fall apart on him.
Speaker 8: And look, it's a very sensitive subject because, like I said, I'm not going to question whether or not Tyler glass Now was hurt today. Obviously there was something, and Dave Roberts didn't question that either. But the Dodgers have done extensive testing. So until they can get some answers, whether it's mental and physical, uh, I don't believe they should throw him out there in five.
Speaker 7: Days from now.
Speaker 8: You can't afford to have Tyler Glass Now go out there and only pitch three or four innings and then come out of the game with an injury.
Speaker 7: You just can't.
Speaker 8: Eight six six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Bakersfield, Jose, You're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 7: How you doing, Jose?
Speaker 12: Hey, what's up?
Speaker 3: What's up?
Speaker 4: David?
Speaker 3: Hey, David.
Speaker 13: I'll get straight to the point.
Speaker 12: Guys.
Speaker 13: It's something that fans the organization. We all knew what Dodger's getting in before they signed Tyler. We can't complain too much about that, David. He was always injury prone, he was in Tapa, so I mean, he just I guess you just gotta lay off of him just a little bit. But the way Dave Roberts sounded right now, it almost seems like David was at a funeral, so.
Speaker 8: I think was just trying to measure his words. I think it sounded like a frustrated manager that wasn't going to, you know, sit there in front of the media and rip his own picture right.
Speaker 3: No, no, no no, And I get that completely.
Speaker 13: But as a fan, they we're looking at it a little bit different. You know, you don't know the whole scoop of the information going on. Fine, I will say this, I've been saying this at the beginning.
Speaker 12: Uh.
Speaker 13: I mentioned the last time we talked at the starters. I mean they can't do this all heated, David. I mean that that Bulten, the Bulton's going to get eventually attacked and it's gonna bite us back in the bus right now.
Speaker 5: It's early in the season.
Speaker 13: But we'll see how he turns fire. Hopefully, you know, Dodgers can hopefully make a couple of more booms to get the more starting patient because that's the last thing that we need is for Chale glasses with Blake Snell.
Speaker 4: Right now, they're on the shop.
Speaker 13: So's man Deleta make it.
Speaker 7: So baby, you take care all right, Hose, thanks for the phone call. Yeah, you know. Obviously, coming into the season, the Dodgers.
Speaker 8: Wanted to try to avoid what took place last year with so many injuries to their starting pitching, and so far it hasn't worked out with the two former Rays, Blake Snell and Tyler Glassnell. Now, Blake Snell was going to receive, or if he already hasn't, received, a quarterzone injection to try to loosen up that stiff left shoulder, and there's no reason to push something like that when you could try to give it some rest, get the inflammation out of there, and then have Snell back.
Speaker 7: Now, the reality of all that, though, is that Snell is basically.
Speaker 8: Starting from square one in his throwing program, meaning he's not going to be back in a major league game for at least a month. So that's where things stand with Blake'snell. The good news is and I was gonna save this for next segment, but it's part of what we're discussing here. Tony Gonsolin, who made his last rehab start in Oklahoma City last week, he's lined up if you went for five days from the last time he made a start to start Tuesday's game against the Marlins, so they are getting some reinforcements. And also Clayton Kershaw, he is going to start on Tuesday in Oklahoma City. Now Kershaw's on the sixty day IL. He's not able to even be activated until May seventeenth. May eighteenth, when the Dodgers returned back from this upcoming ten game road trip. So they are getting Gonsolin back, they will get Kershaw back, and then probably in June, sometimes right a month from now. Four to five weeks is when Blakesnell will be back. Eight six six nine, eight seven, five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the Pirates today, nine to two. Let's go out to Alex who is at Dodgers Stadium today. Hi, Alex, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 5: Hey David, thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 12: Brother.
Speaker 5: You're do an amazing job as a journalist for the Dodgers, so I really appreciate it.
Speaker 14: I wanted to give a special shout out to uh all the Seami Vallians today that came out for Little League and it was an amazing day at Dodger Stadium. UH San and Susana Little League and uh you know, I just wanted I just wanted to say this regarding this team.
Speaker 4: We got an amazing team.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 5: He started a little bit short in the uh in the first inning when we gave up those two home runs. But as you can well see, we got an amazing team when everybody puts in their their work. Uh you see Bay is just hitting that home runn in center field. Uh, the all Scott, Uh, the list goes on. Uh, he can't put it in work and stuff.
Speaker 12: So this is a team.
Speaker 5: This is a world serious team.
Speaker 12: There.
Speaker 5: Whenever we put in the work, we put in the when we got the bats were unbeatable. So still I have a lot of faith in this team. I said it last year. So anyway a.
Speaker 8: Minute, you have a lot of faith in this team. It doesn't take a lot of faith, Alex. They're eighteen and ten. It's not like they're ten and eighteen or nine and nine. There's good reason you're not the only one that has faith when they're eighteen and ten.
Speaker 4: You got it. You got it.
Speaker 5: But listen, I wanted to give your cousin Joe Rose a shout out.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I went to elementary with him back in Arcadia. So if he's out there listening somewhere. Big shout out to him. But thanks for taking my call. I appreciate it, David.
Speaker 8: All right, Alex, thanks for the phone call, and I guess thanks for the shout out to my cousin. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone now number. The Dodgers get the win. They are now eighteen and ten, half game back of the Giants, who are now in first place in the NLST. It is tight as the NLST is shaping up to be the toughest division in baseball. The Giants are nineteen and ten, the Dodgers are eighteen and ten, the Padres are seventeen and eleven, and the Diamondbacks are now over five hundred at fifteen and thirteen. Do you really want to know what the Rockies record is? All right, I'll tell you four and twenty three.
Speaker 7: That's right.
Speaker 8: The Rockies have only four wins in the first twenty seven games.
Speaker 7: Of the season.
Speaker 8: Yikes, that's what you get when you don't really invest in the roster and the infrastructure. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy. Look, the Dodgers are five months removed from the World Series. They spend a half a billion dollars during the offseason to try to get even better. They are a very good team with a lot of really good players, and like I mentioned last night, they aren't even hitting on all cylinders. And they're missing some of their key pieces, including Blake Snell, Michael Kopek, Blake Trining.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 8: They haven't got the Big three in the same lineup for more than half of the games, and they're not even hitting on all cylinders yet. So with all that being said and Tyler Glasnow's issues, the Dodgers are eighteen and ten and that's scary for the rest of Major League Baseball. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Pacoima.
Speaker 7: Eddie. You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Eddie?
Speaker 15: What's up?
Speaker 12: DV.
Speaker 5: I'm doing good.
Speaker 15: Fighting a little sting something, but we're all good. Just driving home from the game.
Speaker 12: Had a great time.
Speaker 15: My wife is driving, got my kids in the back. You got Dods in the back, is Abella, Isaac and Iris.
Speaker 7: Okay, great, hey, let me ask you a question.
Speaker 8: Since you brought all those family members to Dodger Stadium, I'm curious. With so many good food options now at Dodger Stadium, do fans just go automatic Dodger dog and nacho still or do you venture out and go for what I did today, the barbecue baked potato.
Speaker 15: Well, I beg watches question Dodger dogs. No, no, no, no, I know I went Dodger dogs, but they went a little a little rogue and went tacos and uh and the Nazis, oh.
Speaker 7: Yeah, oh yeah, they look good.
Speaker 10: All right.
Speaker 8: I want to know if people are venturing out or if they're sticking with the Dodger dogs.
Speaker 15: Yeah, the tacos are pretty good, no doubt. I just want to tell all Dodger fans, you guys, are you guys are in the golden era of Dodger baseball. Just relax, relax, just enjoy it, Just enjoy it.
Speaker 7: No doubt.
Speaker 8: Eddie, your voice is going out and so is your cell phone. But thank you for Colin. Drive home safe and awesome. You brought the family to Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 7: Today, Eddie.
Speaker 12: Thanks BV.
Speaker 8: All right, thanks a lot, Eddie. That's a true blue Dodger fan right there. Brought the family, got some Dodger dogs, got some tacos. I've tried the tacos. I feel like I ventured off the Dodger dog menu a couple of times this year.
Speaker 7: I actually haven't had a Dodger dog this year.
Speaker 8: Actually once I had a Dodger dog once when my wife and kids came. But today I went with the barbecue baked potato out there in the think blue barbecue area behind the left field pavilion.
Speaker 7: Delicious.
Speaker 8: I've tried the fried Korean chicken and rice I believe.
Speaker 7: Is on the side there that was solid solid. What else? Have I tried? The tacos?
Speaker 8: I've tried the tacos as well, So as you can see, I have ventured out from this very mediocre press box dining. Put it that way, eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number, you know. Talking about the Dodger pitching, there are a certain number of innings that you need covered during one hundred and sixty two games, but when it comes down to the playoffs, you're going with three or four your best. And right now I am confident that these four, in some form or fashion, are going to be the Dodgers four starters. Yamamoto hands down as my number one starter, Blake Snell's going to be back. I got Kershaw and I got Otani. I still believe. I know there's some skeptics out there, some conspiracy theorists that don't believe that Otani's going to pitch this year. I believe Otani's going to pitch this year. He wouldn't be out there throwing thirty pitch bullpen sessions if he had no intention of pitching. The Dodgers want to use him as a weapon that no other team in baseball would have going into the postseason, because, as you know, there are roster constraints in the regular season and postseason on how many pitchers you can carry, and Otani would not fall in the pitcher category.
Speaker 7: He would be a position player.
Speaker 8: So essentially you would be able to carry an extra pitcher that nobody else can and show hey, Otani, who's a pretty good one. So, in some form or fashion, I see Otani starting a game, does he go you know, seven innings? What starting pitcher goes that deep in the postseason now anyway, So he's probably gonna see a lineup once, maybe twice, and you're going to piggyback in with a great bullpen. So yeah, I do see Otani pitching this year, and yeah, I do see him pitching in October.
Speaker 7: That's what this slow play is all about. And I'm I'm looking.
Speaker 8: Forward to Kershaw having a chance to go out a World Series champion and pitch in October. And I have full confidence Blake Snell's gonna come off the il and never look back. Before we go back to the phone calls and before we check in with Jose Mota. I'm not sure if you've heard the the DraftKings Pick six or about it. They've asked me to kind of advise during series and this series I had over strikeouts on on Paul Skens and Yamamoto, so Paul Skins went over went or I should say more. Paul Skins had more strikeouts and Yamamoto had less. I had more total basis for Tom Yedman in any one of these three games. Sorry, I let you down the wrong path, but hey, that's why it's advisement. And you can get fifty dollars in free credits if you entered the promo code Blue Crew on the Pick six DraftKings app eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to La Joe. You're on Dodger Talk Live from Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 4: Hi, Joe, Joe, how are you doing tonight?
Speaker 7: I'm Joe, you're Joe, and I'm David.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's right, David. Sorry, Hey listen, Tyler Glasnow, I didn't follow his career that much at Tampa Bay, but I can tell you since being a Dodger in highlights, you can tell that guy's demeanor on the mound when things aren't right, like right away within his first three innings, you can generally see if there's something wrong with him. I'm not sure if it's mental physical. He's a big human being. That's a lot of human being to move around to throw a baseball. But it just seems like he's been off ever since he's been with the Dodgers. My opinion, just watching him mentally on the mound, you compare him to I know the relievers are much more charged, but he never seems one hundred percent in control of himself. When things go wrong, he seems to go backwards, my opinion.
Speaker 7: Hey, that's a good scott A report right there.
Speaker 10: Joe.
Speaker 7: I agree with you.
Speaker 8: He was an All Star last year and made a career high twenty two starts before being shut down in late July or early August. But you're right, he seems to get in his own head a lot, and if things don't go his way, or if he doesn't feel the way he wants to feel connected physically, then things start to spiral on him as well.
Speaker 7: So that's fair, Joe, that's a that's a good assessment.
Speaker 4: But you can see it, David. You can see it physically, right, you can see it on the mound. If I'm watching TV, you can see it.
Speaker 3: You can see it.
Speaker 4: It's obvious.
Speaker 8: We could see it in the first inning, and I wouldn't be surprised, if you know, giving up back to back home runs kind of fed into whatever was happening there as he was warming up for the second inning.
Speaker 7: I'm sure that was part of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, all right.
Speaker 7: Joe, thanks for the phone call. Good observation.
Speaker 8: Let's take another phone call before we check in with Jose, Mota, Matt, and Agora.
Speaker 7: You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Matt?
Speaker 12: Yeah, DV. We're driving back from the game on the one on one and have a couple things. First and foremost could not agree with you. More about Otani coming back going strong for us off the bomb, also looking forward to Kershaw coming back contributing. But the I'll take here. My son is the biggest Outman fan in the world and we can't wait for him to come back and make an impact.
Speaker 8: Now you sound like John Papadekas he's the biggest Tarzan fan out there.
Speaker 12: Well, you know, Tarzan's okay, but we're in the Gore DV and uh, you know, we just want Outman to come back and make it big impact.
Speaker 7: All right.
Speaker 8: We'll see if he gets that opportunity. He's had a slow start to his triple A season. He has brought the average up to two forty five. He has six home runs and nineteen RBIs. But we'll see whether or not he gets that opportunity, Matt. He's got to be ready for it. Thanks for the phone call. Appreciated. I know everybody loved James Outman. He just did not have a great sophomore season. And when you have a team like the Dodgers have, you've got to produce and you've got to keep up, and if you don't, then they've got to look elsewhere. And look that same case with Andy Paez. Andy Pajs has turned it on here in the last six seven games. The Dodgers were not going to pull the plug on Andy Piez after twenty seven games or fifteen games, like so many of you were calling for.
Speaker 7: They're gonna give him at least three months to see what.
Speaker 8: He can do and whether or not he can be that guy in the bottom third of the order and play really good or good.
Speaker 7: Enough center field defense.
Speaker 8: It didn't look good early on, but he's put in a lot of work and now you're starting to see some of the fruits of that labor. Eight six, six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. We're gonna take a time out here on Dodger Talk. When we come back, we'll check in with Jose Mota as the Dodgers defeat the Pirates nine to two on AM five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 1: AM five seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 6: Be anywhere at any time and you can hear past episodes of Dodger Talk.
Speaker 1: I love those things. Search AM five to seventy on the iHeartRadio app. We're streaming online. We stream every game too. Come find it.
Speaker 6: Back to Dodger Talk on AM se LA Sports two one to.
Speaker 7: Oscar hits it high in the air right center field. He is posing, he is watching.
Speaker 1: It, and this ball's gonna go.
Speaker 2: Tayl t He's off and leads off the fifth lit solo plast.
Speaker 1: It's now six to LA.
Speaker 8: Dodgers would go on to beat the Pirates today by a final score of nine to two. They hit two home runs today. They lead Major League Baseball in that category after Andy Piz and Taioscar Hernandez homer. That home run by Taoscar Hernandez his two hundredth career home run. So a great day for Tioscar Hernandez, who is such a great teammate. I said this earlier, I'll say it again. He hit his two hundredth career home run, and he was happier for Andy Piz when he came back to the dugout after his two run home run. Daniels Jewelers presents the home run forecast. Go to AM five to seventy LAS sports dot com. Use the keyword home run for your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jeweler's gift card predicting the number of home runs in the next game. Daniels Jewelers own the dream.
Speaker 1: It's time to go around the horn with Jose Mota.
Speaker 8: All right, Jose Mota before we get to Tyler Glass. Now, let's celebrate the two guys that had a great day, and certainly there's a mentorship going on between Teoscar Hernandez and Andy Paiez.
Speaker 7: Let's start with Andy. Pi has career day four hits, four RBIs a two run home run.
Speaker 8: Why has he turned the corner in the last week.
Speaker 3: It's maturity.
Speaker 2: Maturity not only you know, personally understanding the game and what it takes to succeed this level day, but also maturity understanding his game and meaning that which areas of the zone? Am I able to swing the bad ad to have a higher probability of getting a base hit or hitting the ball hard? I mean, up to last week, Pis has not gotten the hit. Listen to this again, is anything over ninety five miles an hour. He's learning that with power you don't have to provide power, You just allow the ball to travel into the zone and provide yourself the good hands. Nice flow through his own understanding too that the way he's being pitched to. I think sometimes at times he's a little bit too patient and we I think you know you and I talked about this the other day about his pitches per player. Parents great, but it doesn't matter if your last decision is not good. Now he's making better decisions and looking at better pitches and using the entire part of the field, which is fun to watch for a young player.
Speaker 8: Jose Andy pie Has was a guy that you know, he was a little heavy coming into spring training the last few years and then all of.
Speaker 7: A sudden lost a ton of weight.
Speaker 8: Do we lose sight of that fact that he's playing at a different weight than he played at for the first three or four spring trainings he was with the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: Oh, stuff has to be taken into consideration. And now that you can measure everything where you buying mechanics and things like that, you have to understand where your body is. The velluars know where that body is going to go to you project with that, you also project the things that it needs to do and where a position himself in center field, the jumps that needs to take. I was talking to Dino Able recently about his leads. Things like that all matter, and you know, remember also pie Has are a major shoulder surgery just a couple of years ago, so it's almost like he's back to full strength, knowing that at this level you got to provide your best every single time. There's no time to say I'm going to take five, you know, play five innings and my manager's going to take me out because I'm a prospect that's over with. That's he's competing now. But understanding where your body is and taking care of your body at this level where you have every single advantage and measure to do it, it's a plus for a player that understands that more and more because he's from random bid as I mentioned, I got like to Oscar and a lot of good mentors.
Speaker 8: Ta Oscar Hernandez, like I mentioned Jose, I'll say it again to you, I mean, how special is it to have a player that is so happy for other t hemates more than his own accomplishments. Especially on a day like today where he hits his two hundredth home run.
Speaker 2: I'm so glad the TV got that shot. Mike Leavy, nice job. Just his joy celebration is almost like that's my son, that's my you know, my nephew doing something good. Because you do take and partaking those relationships. That's why you see somebody that comes up to the big league and you want to help. In fact, the Oscar was even told, you know, to the Gray Vine, that hey, you coming here for one year because we have this guy coming behind you as pies. We also have Vargas. So you think about that. He never took that into an action where I'm not going to help this guy. I'm going to be more than just a friend. I'm going to go out there and just be a mentor and a good friend of his like a parent pretty much to make him better. But Dancie Suteo is a good Christian man, man of God who knows it does not take a day in the Big League for granted. So I happened to see that nice round number of two hundred come to him. But boy, he is even getting better himself as he helps. He's getting better himself at.
Speaker 7: His game, no doubt.
Speaker 8: On a special Sunday here at Dodgers Stadium for the Dodgers, as they were all smiles after losing the first game of this series, they take two out of three from the Pirates with a nine to two win. Jose Mota is joining us on Dodger Talk Live from Dodgers Stadium. Jose, All right, let's get into it. Tyler Glass. Now you heard from Glass. Now you heard from Dave Roberts, who I thought handled that postgame press conference as well as any manager that was as frustrated as I'm sure Dave Roberts was.
Speaker 2: Tyler Glass was super frustrated. Everything that you if you had a chance to talk about what you did in spring training. I had a chance to talk to him. Spring training was I'm gonna line out myself, understanding my body a little bit more. I'm doing some things differently to avoid these little injuries and those things that happened. And Dave Roberts quite careful, as we all need to be. Understand. There's a history, and there's so an issue of knowing that at this level and even any professional level college level, you're not going to be at one hundred percent every single time. Those days are over the minute you throw your first spring training bullpen. With that, you don't want to be also an organization that just pushes a guy to the point where he's never been pushed, and there's something major happen, so he's in a big, you know, big dilemma for Dave Roberts when he's on the mount. As you mentioned, he's so good, but certainly there's some things and issues that you know affected him throughout his career. But the Dodgers do need somebody that is not going to allow like today the bullpen two guys combined to throw one hundred and four pitches. You just cannot be absorbed in that all the time. And for a glass, I hope that whatever mental break he needs comes now, But there's certainly some thing that I know that they're going to be addressing with him and hopefully get him with a hump to say, you're healthy, you're good, you're productive, you're a big big picture. Hitters hit one sixty eight against you. If you feel something, let us know. But at the same time, everything that we see structurally looks pretty good.
Speaker 8: Do you believe giving up those back to back home runs with two outs in the first inning led to something mental, which then led to something physical as he was warming up in the second inning.
Speaker 2: You can question that, but I know that I got to play a little bit of the big leagues and it's not easy day. It's you're competing and you're letting down your team, and then all these things creep into your mind. Is am I good enough to stay out there? And I don't know if the factor or not. Hopefully it's not because to pitch the big leagues and knowing you know, obviously the holiday make you have to be tougher than that. I don't think that was the issue. But at the same time, it's like, you know, we don't know exactly from the cramping that happened last year to this year and then what happened in the first inning. Those things should not be happening to a big league picture if that is the case.
Speaker 7: So what do you think it is? Jose?
Speaker 8: And like I said, I mean it puts the Dodgers in a tough spot when you're unsure whether or not you're starting pitcher who tells you he's good to go, the doctor reports tell you good to go. Availability is number one for any player, no matter how good you are, if you're not available, you're not that good. So how can the Dodgers trust Glass now?
Speaker 7: Moving forward?
Speaker 2: It's got to be the communication of honesty. And also he's got a body of six eight. There's a lot of moving parts. A lot of coordination. There's a lot of parts that just we don't understand. You know, we're sending six feet or five nine or five eight. But there's also comes a point in which with honesty from himself and the report's coming from one side saying what we see is this, what do you feel? And then tell them, hey, I believe, we believe that you're healthy enough to get it done. And maybe you don't have to be a full effort guy to be a big leag picture with a stature in the ball, the ball the way the ball gets a home play. So there's many things in which her Apple can restructure his reg and pitching for Jim and go on through and understand that what he's made of. But the stuff overall, Dave, it's enviable. I mean, he's got very good stuff, and hopefully we'll find a midpoint where it with some mental rest and understanding and showing him. But listen, everything that we see looks good. You're fine. We trust you. Go out there and trust yourself down all.
Speaker 8: Right, jose Mota, before we say goodbye on this Sunday afternoon, Sunday evening, now, can you give all the Dodger fans an update on Manny Mota, who is certainly beloved by every Dodger fan out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, zeb, I appreciate you asking and actually just making my way back from the hospital where Manny motives enjoying Dodger dogs and you talk about Dodger dogs earlier. Yeah, so he's missing this from Maria and all the people upstairs, but he's doing quite well in his rehab. He's on the rehab side of the hospital and as we tell him now, you have coaches teaching you a few things and relearning a few things. But it looks very promising and thank god, he's fighting through it. He's a strong man, and obviously with his eighty seven years old and being in the ship that he's in, we're very blessed to see that he's taken every step of the positive side. Thank you so much.
Speaker 7: Oh, that's great to hear. And I know when you said he's eating a Dodger dog, he is feeling a lot better.
Speaker 2: Yes, he is, no doubt, no doubt.
Speaker 7: Thanksjse.
Speaker 8: We'll see you out here tomorrow for the Dodgers and Marlins, and we're all really happy to hear that things are going in the right direction for your pops. Thanks a lot, Jose Palis Domingo, Falis Domingo for Tascar, Hernandez and the Motas and the Dodgers as they beat the Pirates today nine to two. Before we say good night, I'm gonna roll the dice and let Chris in Ontario, who's been very patient, walk us off on this Sunday afternoon.
Speaker 7: How are you doing, Chris, You're on Dodger Talk. Don't make me regret this, Chris.
Speaker 3: No, you're not gonna regret it. You're not gonna regret it. But I can remember Andy Freed, the radio announcer back in Tampa Bay, saying that Tyler Glass Now probably just does not have the pain threshold of us big boys. Those were his exact words. So when the end this happened today, that's the first thing. And I'm like, you know, there's something about this guy. You look at him, he's just not that dog, that dog you want out there. Maybe David Roberts is a pulling inner Timulus order pull his glass now into his off and say, look, I don't like your hair, I don't like your face, I don't like how soft you are. We're gonna call you pit bull. From now on and throw him out there, because this guy, he just does the last couple games, Dave. He looks like a wreck out there, and I just don't understand it.
Speaker 8: Hey, that's what Tommy Lissorda did to our guy, oral Herscheizer. That's what Chris is channeling there. He told oral Herscheizer he didn't like his name, and he said, from that point on nineteen eighty three, maybe eighty two, he's going to start calling him Bulldogs. So yep, Chris, I like that and appreciate you knowing your Dodger history. Take her Dada, all right, Chris, thanks for the phone call. Look, I'm not going to question anybody's testicular fortitude, as the Great Gorilla Monsoon might say, but look, the Dodgers have got to figure it out with Tyler Glass. Now, just the Dodgers can't figure it out. It's gotta be something together and Glass noow's gotta be honest with the Dodgers as well. And the Dodger bullpen just can't keep doing this every fifth day because it's compromising the next day in the day after. So there's a trickle effect. It's not just about today. It has an effect tomorrow and it has an effect the next day.
Speaker 7: All right.
Speaker 8: Speaking of tomorrow, I'll be filling in for Kirsten Watson on the sidelines on sports Net LA. So Tim Kates will be hosting Dodger Talk during the Marlins series. It will be Edward Cabrera on the mound for Miami tomorrow, Dustin May on the mound for the Dodgers Morongo Casino. Dodgers on Deck begins at six o'clock tomorrow with first pitch at seven to ten. Thanks to Colin Ee back at our Burbank Studios. Thanks to Dwayne McDonald out here at Dodgers Stadium. Thanks to you for listening. In case you missed any of the show, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 7: Once again.
Speaker 8: The final score are the Dodgers defeat the Pirates nine to two.
Speaker 7: Have a great rest of your Sunday, Felice Domingo. See them so brand when look.
Speaker 8: At you, it's true time, Send it away
Speaker 6: Time.