Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to kf I A M six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. In your youth back when we started this show, you would kind of shake your bottom to.
Speaker 2: That what your bottom?
Speaker 3: Listen?
Speaker 4: This is the jam?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 4: Is it the move?
Speaker 1: I haven't heard this forever?
Speaker 2: Doesn't play in your head.
Speaker 4: It doesn't just play your head part. You always cut it off right, my favorite part?
Speaker 2: Leave you one more?
Speaker 4: That's hurtful. The Dow is a mess.
Speaker 1: It's having another down day on Wall Street right now. Dow down six seventy seven. Markets lost a combined four trillion dollars in value yesterday.
Speaker 4: Don't panic yet.
Speaker 1: Investors remain concerned over the state of the economy as this tariff war standoff, whatever it is, continues. Nasdaq S and P five hundred lower as well as you can imagine all that.
Speaker 3: Also playing in the background is this ongoing fight over a potential government shutdown. The Republican led House is planning a vote, I believe, at about one o'clock today our time, on a stopgap measure to keep the federal government funded beyond Friday.
Speaker 2: Politico has said that Vice President J. D.
Speaker 3: Vance met with House Republicans today and said that Republicans will be taking the blame for the government shutdown if they don't pass this. Mike Johnson, Speaker of the House, said this is squarely at the feet of Democrats if they don't pass something.
Speaker 2: So some dispute there, I suppose.
Speaker 1: Well, we broke this to you as it was breaking yesterday. We saw this coming. The murder trial of that Orange County judge who pulled a gun from his ankle holster and shot and killed his wife during an argument in their home in Anaheim Hills has ended in a mistrial. Jurors could not agree on a unanimous verdict, which means that they could not agree, thank you, despite more hours of deliberation than even evidence that they heard. This was Superior Court Judge Jeffrey Ferguson, who, while sitting at the police station said aloud to himself, I killed her. Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, convict my ass I did it well. The actual jury did not.
Speaker 3: The jury for person was telling a judge yesterday. So they were hung on a second degree murder charge eleven to one guilty eleven to one guilty they had had they unanimously agreed that he was not guilty of the second degree murder, they could have considered either a lesser involuntary manslaughter conviction, or even acquitted him of all the charges.
Speaker 1: He seemed to be holding back emotion during the week long trial. He did not show any obvious reaction to the announcement of the mistrial. Here's how it went down. If you're just joining the story, This was a judge. She liked his cocktails. He and his wife and one of the sons, they go out to dinner there in Orange County.
Speaker 4: They had a couple pops.
Speaker 1: After having a couple pops at home, they get into an argument about spending money on a son that he had had with another woman before these two were married. And as fights over money, off and get it gets contentious and he's at the dinner table when he uses his fingers in his hand to form the form a gun. You know what I mean, make a gun with your hand with your fingers, right, we know how to do that. He does that to her at the table and she says something effective, why don't you use a real gun. They get home a couple more pops, they continue to get into it. He claims that he was trying to put the gun away and he took it out of his holster, it went off, it fired, and it killed her. The prosecutors argued, no, he obviously took it out in the heat of the moment, shot her and killed her. The son, who was there in the home that went to dinner and was in the home, subsequently said that his mother's last words were, he shot me. He The judge also, just moments after he shot and killed her, got on his phone and started texting his bailiff and court reporter. Hey, I'm not going to be in tomorrow. Sorry about that. I've shot and killed my wife. Yet, this is a jury that could not decide based on what I can only believe was a muddled explanation of the law. My only explanation is that they did not explain the law correctly to these us because the second degree murder charge is an implied malice murder. And here's how it's been described to me. You have a loaded gun and you fire it into a crowd of people. Do you mean to shoot and kill any.
Speaker 4: Of those people? No, you do not, But you know that what.
Speaker 1: You're doing is inherently dangerous. You know that you're operating with a conscious disregard of human life. That there alone is enough to get get you to a second degree murder. And they could not find that in this case. They must have believed the defense argument, or at least a one person stuck in dug in and would not believe anything different than the defense explanation that this guy had had a couple pops, he was trying to put the gun away, he's got the arthritis in the shoulder, he was sloppy, the gun went off and killed her.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the prosecutors were basically saying it was a complete BS story that he admitted over and over again to shooting his wife. He said it outside the house, he said it in the police station. The key, at least to the defense was he never admitted to intentionally shooting his wife. And the way the prosecutors argued that was they said, well, this guy's clearly a judge. This guy knows the law, and he has the ability with that knowledge of the law, he has the ability to answer certain questions in certain ways to avoid culpability.
Speaker 1: But he didn't need to intentionally shoot her. That's what a second degree murder. Is is right? Yeah, and that's I think your point is perfect. That what we understand as the basic definition of second degree murder, this actually this fits it, and he admits to it. Todd Spitzer, the DA says that this is despite the hung jury, this and mistrial. This is a success for him because and for the ocda's office, because they have an eleven to one. They're pretty confident that they could do this again with twelve more juriors and come up with a twelve nothing. Tod Spitzer could take a dump in the morning and call it a successful day.
Speaker 2: Well, I think that's.
Speaker 1: You think that many people would. Many people would. Yeah, you're right, you're right.
Speaker 4: I was wrong.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean you made you made it here before you had your experiment.
Speaker 1: Before I peed the car. Yeah, I did make it. Thank you for letting me take that victory letter. Well today, all right? Coming up next. Did you ever know that there was a Life After Death club.
Speaker 4: In Orange County?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 1: Well there is, and they dedicate themselves to learning about people after they pass on. It's probably like a grief tool. Okay, you got just open your mind. As we move into the next segment, we shall.
Speaker 5: See you're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: Coming up next, a lot of American adults withdrawing from romance. Have you noticed it's not just young people, but the trend seems to be especially pronounced for people born between nineteen ninety seven and twenty twelve. They say that love is media driven. Not completely wrong, we'll dive into it.
Speaker 4: Coming up next.
Speaker 1: Well, there is a Life After Life Club and it's where exactly where you would think you would find it, exactly where you think you would find it, and that is what I think of as a wonderful place to spend my golden Year's leisure World.
Speaker 4: They're in Orange County.
Speaker 2: There's always a bathroom around the corner.
Speaker 1: The majority of residents in their mid seventies at leisure World and for almost twenty years, the Life After Life Club has gathered to learn about the healing power of UFOs, trance channeling the power of animal communication, near death experiences.
Speaker 4: Their sessions are recorded.
Speaker 1: Their YouTube channel has about thirty thousand subscribers more than three point five million visitors, and recently they all got together to hear what the dead have to say to the living.
Speaker 4: It's very beetlejuice, isn't it. I know, you don't believe in any of it.
Speaker 1: You don't have to come down anywhere because this is this could be something that evolves. I think a lot of people are doubters of psychics and things like that, and that's what they had. They had a psychic come in. Jennifer Rose is her name, very New agey, and.
Speaker 4: She speaks.
Speaker 1: She says of spirit. She's speaking of the dead, but she would never use that word. She says the dead are lifeless and gone, but the spirit which she courts is animated, full of love and loved. And they want to talk to Jennifer Rose about not only what the dead have to say to the living, but also to communicate. I mean, think about the demo here, leisure world. People in their mid seventies. Everyone's kind of with their own mortality. They probably have loss in their life, recent loss, a lot of it, and they want to believe that there's something beyond this world, or some of them want to believe that. So that's why they gather for this. She says, what happens when we pass over? That's what she asks the group. She says, as a medium, I bring a lot of people together in reuniting, and I deliver a lot of apologies too.
Speaker 4: Isn't that fascinating?
Speaker 1: All the people that have rifts with others and somebody passes on and that riff remains and it bothers them. One woman who didn't want to give her name, confide she liked to hear from her brother, who recently died. She says they were close until this last year, she said, when he lost his mind to cirrhosis and they fell apart, so she wanted to patch things up.
Speaker 2: Well, that's where my.
Speaker 3: The questions begin for me, which is oftentimes if you're going to if you're gonna go see a medium or a psychic or a spirit talk or whatever term, it's because you feel like there's some unfinished business that you want finished. I didn't get to answer the question, or I didn't get to tell you that I loved you, or I didn't get to hear from you that you were proud of me, whatever.
Speaker 2: And I think of.
Speaker 3: In my instance, for example, my parents died, but I'd never felt like there was unsaid stuff.
Speaker 2: We got it all out, we did everything we could. We were there.
Speaker 3: I was there when both of them pat like, that's a complete picture for me if I were to go see somebody like this. I don't have any open wounds that need to be solved, solved, saved. I don't have any wounds that need to be fixed. You know I don't. I'm not emotionally broken by my parents and need them to apologize or need.
Speaker 1: To hear this something you want to tell them, like if maybe if you know your daughter had a baby or something.
Speaker 4: I don't know. I have no idea what you would want to You've.
Speaker 3: Broken a lot of news about my family in the last ten minutes, and I want to know if that's true or not.
Speaker 2: My daughter is pregnant, she's not. Okay, good, thank you.
Speaker 1: No. The only news I broke is that it's her like best friend's birthday. I sat on Instagram.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 4: One woman at.
Speaker 1: This leisure World gathering raised her hand with a story and a question. Her husband, she said, passed away almost five years ago, and the first year she felt him constantly.
Speaker 4: I've heard this before, she says.
Speaker 1: The TV came on, the lights came on, we started talking, the clock would go crazy.
Speaker 4: But then after a year and.
Speaker 1: A half, I woke up and I almost felt him pull from me and he was gone. Do they move on after so long? She said, that's a gift that you got all that. She said, I love all that stuff, the knox atteps, the banging on the walls, the change in temperature, things like that. That what she experienced was pure, unconditional, extreme love. She attributes his sudden departure to the questioner's healing and need for new experiences. But that doesn't mean he can't return, she says, Now, I have heard that the departed sometimes stick around for a while, whether it's a day or three days or a week or what have you, or maybe longer, but then they continue on their journey because they want to make sure you're okay, or someone's okay, or the family's okay, the home's okay, things like that. But I don't think it matters what we think about. This is long. It's kind of like faith, right. You look at people that attend church religiously, they seem to be a happy people. It doesn't matter that you don't believe in it, or you don't think this is true or how could that happen?
Speaker 2: Or whatever?
Speaker 1: Who cares it's not for you? Then it's for them. Same thing with this kind of stuff. It doesn't matter if you and I believe that the lights went off in here because it was your parents saying, stop talking about this, it's stupid. It just matters for the people that it helps.
Speaker 4: If it helps you, like if you're a.
Speaker 3: Totally listen and I mean, there's grief. How many times as we said, there's no playbook for grief. We all react differently. Some of us it hits immediately, some of us it's a delayed reaction to grief, or it's a continuous grief, or sometimes it's just in short spurts. It's one of those things where if that's what you need to help, like I said, heal those wounds that you think exists between you and your dearly departed.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And if.
Speaker 1: I get hit by a bus or something on my way home, I'm totally going to stick around and f with you.
Speaker 4: Like I mean, I think that would be a lot of fun.
Speaker 3: You're going to you're going to die in a crash while you're peeing into a bucket.
Speaker 1: So maybe, but I'm going to stick around for probably about a year.
Speaker 3: All right, Gary, what happens if our teenagers never date romantically, but they just they just don't do it, Like, why, what's the what are we doing?
Speaker 2: We're breaking our children.
Speaker 4: It's a trend.
Speaker 2: Gary and Shannon will continue.
Speaker 5: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM. Six forty.
Speaker 1: Stories we're following for you today. We will soon learn more information about that deadly mid air collision between the American Airlines passenger jet and that Army helicopter. NTSB will give an update today on the January twenty ninth collision. This happened remember in DC than when the American Airlines plane collided with the Army Blackhawk, killing sixty seven people. That news conference is set to begin in less than a half an hour on the East coast.
Speaker 3: President Trump is going to stick up for his buddy Elon Muskin, said he is going to support Elon quote. I'm going to buy a brand new Tesla tomorrow morning as a show of confidence and support for Elon Musk, a truly great American. Why should he be punished from putting his tremendous skills to work in order in order to help make America great again. Sean Hannity Fox News also said that he's going to be buying a new Tesla. The company's share price suffered its steepest decline in five years yesterday, I mean all of Wall Street has been taking it in the short yesterday and today the Dow is down about seven hundred points as of right now.
Speaker 1: A lot of American adults with drawing from romance. In a twenty twenty three poll from the survey On Survey Center on American Life, looks like young people is the group that is.
Speaker 4: Pulling away the most.
Speaker 1: The number of teens experiencing romantic relationships has dropped quite a bit. According to this Survey Center, or fifty six percent of Gen Z adults say they'd been in a romantic relationship at any point in their teen years, compared with seventy six percent the generation before and seventy eight percent the generation before that.
Speaker 3: I wonder if, just right off the bat, if part of that is just a definition of what is a romantic relationship.
Speaker 1: I agree with you completely, because it's evolved, hasn't it.
Speaker 3: I think so because in the old days, in the old days, say forties fifty sixties, if there was a teenage girl and a teenage boy and they were in a relationship, together. It went through a process, and there was a lot of formality to that courtship many times, not that I was alive then, but i've you know, you've seen the movies. That's just kind of the way the teenage boy would would have to go and carefully dress up and go to the girl's house and meet the parents, and then they would be in kind of a relationship and maybe they were going steady or whatever term they used at the.
Speaker 1: Time, because that was the only access you had to anything female exactly. There was no playboy that came later. There was no cell phone where you could look up porn, which came later. There was no casual relationships with text or email or any of that stuff that came later. If you wanted female interaction, which your brain is programmed for if you're a straight male, not just your brain but your penis, thank you, you.
Speaker 4: Asked for it.
Speaker 1: You had to jump through hoops to get it. You had to go through a lot, you had to develop a set of balls. There was an interesting statistic at all of this that I saw. It's deeper into it, deeper into.
Speaker 3: The survey here, but it says about fifty six percent of gen z Dahers said that the fear of rejection kept them from pursuing a potential relationship, and about the same amount said they had actually refrained from confessing their feelings about someone because they.
Speaker 2: Were worried that it would be a turnoff.
Speaker 3: Think about that, you're attracted to this person, but you don't want to tell them.
Speaker 2: That you're attracted to them.
Speaker 3: That's been the way, because you're afraid that they're going to I remember being wrong, I.
Speaker 1: Remember feeling that way. I feel like that has been That's a constant. I think that, you know, the aloofness you see teenagers have has been a constant. I mean, that's the way it was, at least when I was a teenager. Act like you don't care about something. That's so that's the cool thing to do, is act like you don't care when you care entirely, whether it's your family, your friends, a love interest. Even when you care so much, you have to act like whatever, because it's not cool to care, because then you're opening yourself up and being vulnerable, and it's terrifying to get hurt.
Speaker 3: Well, the interesting one of the interesting aspects about it is that it might not be bad that that young people might actually benefit from a lack of romantic activity.
Speaker 4: Maybe they'll wait until they're actually ready for it.
Speaker 2: We'll explain that when we come back.
Speaker 3: Hey, a reminder, Ihearts Wango Tango is returning to southern California.
Speaker 2: And it's actually headed to the beach this time.
Speaker 1: Yes, Saturday, May tenth at Huntington City Beach, Wango Tango's all star lineup will feature performances by Doja Cat.
Speaker 2: Was that what I thought? Megan Trainer, David.
Speaker 4: Getta Cat's Eye Hearts to Hearts.
Speaker 3: Plus at Sunset OC's own Gwen's Stefani Oh my.
Speaker 1: Gosh, Gwen Stefani on the Beach. Tickets go on sale Friday, March fifteenth at ten am fourteenth What did I say?
Speaker 2: Fifteenth? Hot damn Friday is March fourteenth.
Speaker 4: Do not miss that because of me.
Speaker 1: Friday March fourteenth is when you get your tickets ten am at AXS dot com.
Speaker 3: We'll come back and talk about why it is that this lack of romantic activity might actually be a benefit for young people.
Speaker 5: You're listening to Arian Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: Wow, why did you put that on me?
Speaker 1: Because you were thinking the same thing that I said out loud. The S and P five hundred has dropped more than ten percent below its record following the latest escalation in this trade war. It is nine point nine percent below its record. The Dow down right now six hundred and one points, NASDAC down one point two percent as we well, wait what's going to happen when it comes to tariffs on steel and aluminum coming from Canada. President said they planned increase to fifty percent. Was a response to Canada saying that they're going to go after electricity. The White House just moments ago calling what Canada has done as egregious.
Speaker 2: Egregious.
Speaker 3: I don't know if we've ever experienced in our life times a trade war like this. If there has been, I've never been aware of attention. Yeah, which goes to our conversation about politics and people. A little over forty percent of registered voters in the city of La say they think that Karen Bass did a poor or very poor job responding to the fires. Nineteen percent said her response was either good or excellent. This is a new study from the UC Berkeley Institute of Governmental Studies. About one in five LA City residents thought she was doing a fair job. Everybody else had no opinion. We are expecting rain. There has been some rain already today. We'll get most of the big storm. We'll be rolling in late tomorrow into Thursday morning.
Speaker 1: Well, when it comes to moving away from romance or relationships, everyone's saying, Oh, the young people, they're not coupling up. What's happening? What is it all mean? Well, I think you hit the nail on the head when you said it's all about the definition and the labels they're constantly changing. Do young people consider what they're doing as in a relationship or a boyfriend?
Speaker 2: Girl?
Speaker 4: Probably not?
Speaker 1: Have they dated? What is dating even mean? Does this mean hooking up with somebody?
Speaker 4: What is hooking up?
Speaker 1: Meanes? Hooking up mean just hooking up or having sex? Or what the hell does anything mean anymore? It changes all the time. Being a well rounded grown up, they say, doesn't require romantic experience of any kind. Amy Rower is a human development professor at the University of Tennessee at Knoxville, and she says, often you know adolescents, emerging adulthood, or times of uncertainty, and what people need most is often just a cheerleader, Whether it's a friend, or a grandparent or a coach. Someone who makes them feel secure in a relationship doesn't have to be a boyfriend or a girlfriend, say, Teens can learn social skills, how to make small talk, resolve arguments, empathize in all sorts of relationships. The romantic relationship the milestone, so to speak. It's not necessary for development. She's the one who points out that some research actually suggests that young people might benefit from a lack of this.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: If one study says that compared with teenagers who do date, the students who date either very infrequently or not at all over a seven year period were seen by their teachers as having better leadership skills, better social skills. They reported fewer symptoms of depression.
Speaker 1: Because they're focusing on things that are not their painess. Uh. Yes, Sometimes if you are into a boy or into a girl, it's kind of all you can think about, and you're not focused on the things that you should be focused on, whether it's school or work or other relationships. And you know what, sometimes those things make you sad. When you're not get what you want, or if it's unrequited love, that kind of thing makes you depressed.
Speaker 4: Again, more loss of focus.
Speaker 2: Right, they said.
Speaker 3: Also, love isn't always positive because of that more emotional whirlwround that you're talking about can be the distraction, but it can also be in the worst cases. Abusive adolescent girls experience intimate partner violence, they said, at particularly high rates, and then when it ends the breakups that we've all been through, teenagers don't really have the mechanism to deal with it, which is why it's an important thing we told our kids when they started doing this whole thing about what even what friends they would hang out with, but romantic partners, was you've got to be able to find somebody or one of the characteristics that we would want for our kids is someone that encourages them to do what they want or encourages them to be good.
Speaker 2: You know, make sure that if my daughter's.
Speaker 3: Going out with the guy that he has good grades and wants her to have good grades too, and doesn't constantly.
Speaker 2: Go, I don't worry about your homework, you can do it later or whatever.
Speaker 3: Or or my son dates a girl who encourages him to get a job or go to college or something like.
Speaker 1: That thing to better themselves. Yeah, and not just the it's very attractive. It's a very attractive thing.
Speaker 2: But I just don't see.
Speaker 3: I mean, there aren't enough teenagers out there who have the wherewithal, who have the self company of them.
Speaker 1: To do that for you, right, some of those relationships that I think that you are more likely to find later on. I think when you're teenagers, all your run by or your hormones, you don't really care if that person is getting good grades or although I must say one of my girlfriends, her daughter started dating fourteen years old, started dat again.
Speaker 4: I don't know what the term is.
Speaker 1: This guy and he's super into church, and he's super into school, and her daughter starts studying more, she starts getting straight A. I mean, she wasn't a bad student to begin with, but suddenly hyper focused on this straight a's into church, happier less. I mean, she saw like all these benefits in her daughter from this young relationship.
Speaker 4: So I mean, it can't happen, I guess at that age.
Speaker 1: But yeah, you would prefer that your kids not hook up with the guy who did his class for fentanyl. You know, it would be nice. That's the dream, right, I just went worst case scenario. That's the dream is that your kid or whoever you care about is with someone who makes them the best version of themselves.
Speaker 4: Too often that it's not the case. People are awful.
Speaker 3: Up next, we'll get into swamp watch a little bit about politics, because it is really dominating the economic news today. But there's also a potential government shutdown floating around.
Speaker 1: Joey Bosa going to San Francisco Real you with his brother, that's the rumor. Well that's a rumor, but that's always been what they wanted, the two of them. I think it's probably gonna be a one year deal something like that.
Speaker 2: We'll talk about Katie Porter running for governor.
Speaker 1: Bloodbath for the forty nine ers yesterday, man, my brother said it best. Or like the Jaguars, like everybody to use check greenlaw left. I'm going to see green law twice a year. He went to the Broncos. Anyway, that a conversation off the air, Gary Shannon will consin.
Speaker 3: You missed any part of our show, don't forget to go back and check out the podcast.
Speaker 2: Anywhere you find podcasts.
Speaker 3: We suggest the iHeartRadio app, but you could find it anywhere by just typing in. Gary and Shannon back right after this you've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.