Speaker 1: A twenty nine fifty five KRCD talk station. I always look forward to this time of the week. This is when we get the Daniel Davis Deep Dive, retired Lieutenant Colonel Daniel Davis offering his military expertise on basically a lot of talk over the years about warfare, and of course we got some developments with a situation between Russian and Ukraine. Welcome back, Daniel Davis, my friend. It's always a pleasure to having on the program. Indeed, it always is my friend. Glad to be here, and I don't want to take too much time up. Just let you know I did get back with Gary. I texted him yesterday, your producer. So I did reach out to him because you had invited me, so I reached out to him. So hopefully we'll be having another conversation about that down the road. And I do appreciate it. I was hoping that's going to work out. Oh, it'll work out.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: I'm honored that you would consider me in your podcast. It's a beautiful thing. Now moving over, Donald Trump just announced he is going to provide weapons to Ukraine, notably missiles, and I believe he specifically identified Patriot missiles and some ammunition which they're running short on. But he's also offerer. He's also suggested he's going to issue some severe parraffs on Russia and its trading partners within fifty days. I don't know where fifty came from. I suppose we can just ignore that. But it's a two prong attack. We're gonna arm Ukraine with more missiles and AMMO, and we're gonna sanction you down the road if you don't call it quits and end this conflict by some by way of some resolution. Of course, he's been trying to negotiate a settlement with Putin, and Putin says fine and all things good on the telephone call, only to start bombing Ukraine minutes after the phone gets hung up. Now, over the weekend they launched an amazing drone strike. I was it more than six hundred drones and missiles raining down on Ukraine. Practical question, Daniel Davis, Considering as I have read, each Patriot missile costs four million dollars, and the system itself that fires them, all the rockets and the machinery and the mechanisms, the equipment to launcher, all of it together is more than a billion dollars. How many drones can you shoot down with the Patriot missile? And can you keep up with a swar of six hundred plus at any given moment in time, Daniel Davis, not a chance.
Speaker 3: Your math is right and your logic is sound. There's no way that this is gonna have any any impact and the air war, it's not gonna help Ukraine out. And in fact, most of these interceptors are not supposed to be used on the Guarantwo drones that you're talking about, the upgraded drones that Russia has used to now long range fire across the country. Those are best served by other kinds of platforms. But you just can't use those kinds of missiles. You don't have that many. I mean, consider that the United States produces annually about six hundred interceptor missiles annually, and you see one night there was six hundred total air attacks that came in, So you would exhaust a year's supply if you only fired one per incoming missile. If you've ever seen the video, I've held the Patriot fire, sometimes it's just rapid fire in two and sometimes even three missiles per incoming missiles so you've got to save those for only the like the hypersonic missiles or the kenzole et cetera, and especially the hypersonic that the Patriots system almost never hits it. So you see that it's not that good, there's not that many, and it's not going to make a difference.
Speaker 1: So if you're Vladimir Putin, you're I guess chuckling underneath your breath. In response to the idea that the United States is providing additional weapons, including Patriot missiles, to Ukraine.
Speaker 3: There was a huge sigh of relief in Moscow, and in fact, I've heard some reaction from the Russian so far since yesterday was anywhere from mocking to laughter to relief. And in fact, the as you know, markets are more emotional than they are actual market fundamentals. The Russian market shot up, had a big spike after the event, after the announcement yesterday, because they recognized that number one, the air missiles and stuff are not going to change the outcome of the war, or even the air war for that matter.
Speaker 2: And number two, this.
Speaker 3: Is legend fifty day period before you're going to get into any kind of sections. Has Trump had held to a single deadline, he said for himself in regards to Russia, the answer is no, And I don't know what anybody thinks is going to happen with this fifty day thing. And by the way, the two biggest targets of that would be China and India. Yes, and I can't imagine that he would risk our economy and getting into a big trade war with those guys over Ukraine and sink our economy when he's now starting to get ready ramping up for the midterms. So you got to see all these things together, it's not likely going to make any difference.
Speaker 2: So the two happened.
Speaker 1: The two threats the one you have the weapons, two you have the sanctions or tariffs. Those are the two things that are designed to get putin to actually get on the phone call and engage in a substantive conversation about a resolution of the conflict. But the elephant in the room seems to me to be what that will look like. As you and I have talked time and time and time again, Russia has not backed off its core key provisions. They have absolute terms that they have insisted on. Ukraine refuses to abide by those. So it's a non starter, regardless of whether tariff's actually go in place or missiles actually show up.
Speaker 3: Right, Russia is locked in and they nothing is going to dissuade them. I interviewed on the show last week a Russian journalist and former member of their military and ask him point blank that question is because the European Union, especially ursav Anderlean and Manuel Macroan and Keir Starmer, are constantly saying they want to force Russia into a piece that's acceptable to Kiev. And I said, can they do that? Is there any chance? And he said, listen, you can say anything you want, but until you forced the Russian army to move back or to stop them, there's nothing that anybody in what in Moscow is going to do to change what they're doing, because you have to compel it on the front line. And he is one hundred percent right, and there is no evidence that that's happening. As a matter of fact, in just the last thirty six hours or so, there has been an acceleration in two key areas where Russia has advanced even further, and the most important area in Putkrolsk, and then in another secondary area big gains on there. So there is a lot of concern on the Ukraine side and the other. Further to the point, give them all the weapons and munitions and arms that you want to the extent it's feasible. We still have a problem with Ukraine's military. It keeps getting smaller and smaller, a point that you and I have discussed many many times over the months. You have a twin problem here. Have you got to keep things in context. You can't just look at the number a while. Apparently, according to Axios, when Trump released this prohibition or whatever, this pause, it's there's a new package in a realm of ten billion dollars with draw down authority, et cetera. Ten that's compared to the sixty one billion dollars that Biden last did in May of twenty twenty four. So you see already that it's like a sixth of what we've done before, which that sixty one billion made no difference on the front line. And now then the Ukraine army is even smaller than it was at that time, and they're moving on the back foot. So you see net net all together, this is just you might slow down the onslaught and you might not, but you're certainly not gonna turn anything around or change the calculus in Moscow.
Speaker 2: That's the key point.
Speaker 1: Do you think that Trump administration will start putting more pressure on uh on Zelensky at some point to capitulate. I mean, I hate to use that word. I know that's why Zelenski would view it. But listen, if you if you ain't holding a good hand and it just keeps getting worse, you know, doubling down is not a viable option for you, mister Zelenski. You're gonna have to tone it down and accept some of Rush's conditions in order to bring a peace.
Speaker 3: Yeah, to piggyback off your analogy, it's like you're in a hot stakes poker gamble and you see in your hand here, you've got a pair of sixes and a bunch of other lower cards and that's it. And you know that there's at least a pair of face cards on the other side, you know that, and you keep putting more and more money into the pot, right just to stave off being called.
Speaker 2: And that doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 3: But to answer to your question, is I don't think so, because he's that's what Trump should have done. Like the first week of his administration, and he had many opportunities to do it since then, given that he's now basically gone all in and said, Okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're gonna give you more stuff.
Speaker 3: We're gonna turn this bigots back on, even if it's only a little bit, it doesn't appear that he has any intention at all to compel Zelensky to do the logical, rational, moral thing for his country. So I think that he's just gonna let it roll. And I don't understand why.
Speaker 1: Well, not to poke holes in your analogy, which is a good one, so the one I was thinking of, But in that poker game analogy, it's that scenario, except you're playing with your cards face up.
Speaker 2: Okay, I mean right, seriously, that's that's an even better one.
Speaker 3: That's exactly what we're both sides are playing cards space.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: That's a good one, man. You can have it and feel free to use it. Daniel Dae, I will use that today on my show. I promise you thinks for that. It's Daniel Davis Deep Dive every week here at beginning at a thirty on the fifty five KRSSE Morning Show. You can find his podcast, Daniel Davis Deep Dive just search for it where you find your podcast, and I'll look forward to day when I'm on your podcast show.
Speaker 2: Dad.
Speaker 1: I can't wait for that day. I promise you we'll see you then. I I love you, brother, We'll talk soon. It's eight thirty eight thirty nine fifty five krs DE talk stations. You're gonna hear from Gregory forst Luster coming up. Our Ask the Expert is going to join us in the next segments. I hope you can stick around and be right back after these
Speaker 2: Briefor This is fifty five karc an iHeartRadio station.