Speaker 1: A sanctuary city, so they're going to officially change the policy and again no longer a sanctuary city. That when you really consider this decision, I think it makes total sense for those unfamiliar with what the sanctuary city means. It's jurisdictions that limit cooperation with federal immigration authorities, and it's often to protect undocumented immigrants from getting deported. And Louisville adopted the policy that they had in place since twenty seventeen, and of course now it is changing for the first time since then. And I feel like the mayor might have been a little bit conflicted here, given the fact that, by the way, this isn't just it appears to be. This is this truly is complying with the federal government's demands and and what they want.
Speaker 2: But also I.
Speaker 1: Think he's doing it in in for a variety of reasons, just my opinion, and I think it's pretty clear he said he said it specifically that if not, you could end up being involved in big ice raids in the city. You could have the National Guard patrolling the Louisville streets. That was actually what was said by Greenberg yesterday, so not an exaggeration. And then of course, you could lose out on hundreds of millions of dollars in federal funding. Now, it is important to note that fewer than one hundred inmates per year is what is going to be affected by this, out of the tens of thousands of immigrant families that we.
Speaker 2: Have here in Louisville.
Speaker 1: So Louisville was the only city in Kentucky that was in the status that that would that would gets you in that sanctuary city status. So this, I mean, I think it makes total sense given the fact that quite literally Pam BONDI let it be own and even use Louisville as an example when it comes to what would happen if you don't kind of fall in line and do your part in helping Donald Trump do what he wants to do, which is clearly get any illegal immigrant out of this country, regardless of their situation overall. Here's some comments from from Greenberg yesterday.
Speaker 3: I've been assured by the United States Department of Justice that if we reinstate the forty eight hour detainers for inmates who've been arrested for crimes, Louisville will be taken off the federal sanctuary city list. We have tens of thousands of immigrant families in Louisville. We do not want to see highly coordinated and often violent federal enforcement action here, especially in workplaces, residential areas, schools, places of worship, parks, and other areas where law abiding people gather.
Speaker 1: So, I, you know, the more I read about just the the sanctuary cities and just kind of seeing that the DOJ has has threatened to sue non compliant cities and withhold those federal funds, I mean, this is this is really not a surprise at all, and I think there's something too being referenced as like is the example I mean pambom bonding. She cited Louisville as an example of cities that they will not hesitate when it comes to taking to taking legal action. So the change only applies to metro corrections inmates charged with crimes and flagged by by DHS. So the policies, the policy shift doesn't change anything for LMPD. They're not They're not going to enforce immigration law. This is just this is just a change to those that are booked into two metro corrections and again, fewer than one hundred inmates per year is who this is believed to affect all right, We've got a lot more to get into in these next roughly two hours with you. We'll get an update on traffick and weather coming your way here in just a moment. Bobby Ellis will getus caught up on the roadways and see how we're looking here on a Wednesday morning. Also, we'll take a look at the forecast as the heat wave continues. Matt Melosovich will we'll let us know just how brutal it's going to be. But I can tell you it's going to be hot once again. But a lot of other things I want to get into before we run out of time. We'll let you hear a little bit of what Officer Mattingly said yesterday when he was on with.
Speaker 2: Clay and Buck and also AI.
Speaker 1: There's really three different stories that I want to kind of tie into one segment, which is just some examples of AI really doing too much and being a real threat to safety. And these are extreme examples, but they're out there. And then also industries that should be worried as far as AI completely eliminating the workforce for said industry. So again we're loaded the rest of the way and hope you stick with us. Happy hump Day. It is Kentucky and as Morning News with Coffee and Company on News Radio eight forty Whas. It is Kentucky and it's Morning News here on news Radio eight forty Whas Coffee and Company. I'm Nick Coffee. Thanks for hanging out with us. Don't forget to take us with you wherever you go. Listen live on the iHeartRadio app. You can also listen live at whas dot com.
Speaker 2: The talkback feature is there.
Speaker 1: We'll try to implement some interaction from you guys at some point this morning before we get out of here. But yesterday, the obvious big talking point throughout not just this show, but I'm sure throughout the day in Louisville, was the sentencing for Brett Hankerson. And I mean, I don't think this was an easy thing when you really are fair objective and look at I guess both sides of it, right, the defense and the prosecution. And I know not many people seem to really do that anymore. As far as just looking at things, you know, completely objectively, it's hard to do for a lot of folks. Uh And and I don't really see that changing at any point. But when it comes to those that would say that how could an officer be charged with a crime whenever someone opened fire when they were serving a warrant and conducting a raid and he returned fire and of course didn't appear to you know, that goes back. It's just such a such a slippery slope as far as even if you do determine that an officer was reckless with just firing ten shots because because he was, somebody opened fire on.
Speaker 2: Them when they're when they're doing.
Speaker 1: A raid, even if the officer is maybe not necessarily doing it by the book how they're trained, and maybe the ten shots was a little bit excessive, I mean it is it is. I mean that's a law enforcement officer that is returning fire when fired upon a lot of people thinking well, that's just case clothes, that's the law enforcement officer doing his job. How could he end up in federal prison? Now again, that makes it to where I think it's it's if you're on the jerry, then you may you may have a tough time, or maybe it's not tough for you. Maybe you think, like, no, there's no way that this law enforcement officer should be should be found guilty now, I think when you just look at his history as far as just being reckless with his firearm as a law enforcement officer, to me, that seems more like one in endangerment. But that was not the charges that he was he was charged with. So this was former Sergeant John Maddingly of LMPD who was there and was shot during the Breonna Taylor raid. He was on Clay and Buck yesterday right here on eight forty whas And here is a roughly two minute clip of him discussing sort of just you know, kind of setting the scene if you will.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, let me tell about a couple of the falsehoods that the bing crumps of the world put out, and that was simply him and Kamala Harris and Lebron James and all these fools in Hollywood and the sports world. Where like he said, we had the wrong house, which is a lie. He said she was asleep in bed, which is a lie. They said it was a no knock warrant, which was a lie, and that the boyfriend that we were quote looking for had been in custody for ten hours, which was a lie. So when we get up to the door, a first knock, a normal knock. Nobody came to the door, so we started banging, I mean the loud everybody knows the police knock, especially in that world. Banging, banging, banging, screaming, police search warrant, police search, warring. And this went on for a minute, which when you're at a door, that feels like an eternity. I mean, we're just banging. A neighbor came out, We got into an interaction with them, they went back inside, and after a minute of them not coming to the door and us knocking and announcing, we breached the door. And as soon as that door was breached and I stepped into the doorframe, I was met with a shot from Kenneth Walker that ripped through my leg. I was able to return a few shots before I got out of the line of fire, and that's when the guy behind me stepped up and began shooting as I went out. Well, Brett was a third one in the stack. And this is the whole premise of this case. They get smithsunderstood. And I had questions at first too, because we're not trained to shoot through windows. That's not how we're trained. However, there's always exigent circumstances to things, and when Brett was at the door with me, he was the third one in the stack. He saw the shot, heard it, saw me go down, and say I was shot. He circled around the front of the building as these shots were ringing out repeatedly by the other officer at the door. He could see the flashes through the window, and in his mind he thought we were still getting fired upon by the individual's side. We were told when we went to this warrant, by the brief by the investigators that did the case, that it was just going to be Bona at home. She's alone, no dogs, no kids, no boyfriends, no weapons. So in our minds, that's what we were expecting because we thought they did a thirugh investigation, which comes to find out they didn't. So once we're met with fire and all this gunfire is getting exchanged, Brett around to the front and see these flashes of the flame in the dark of the night in this house, and he's like, man, my guys are getting executed at the doorway because he knew I'd already been shot, was down, so he started firing through the windows in an attempt only to stop the threat only to get that guy to quit shooting because in his mind what he perceived in that moment in those few seconds, and this thing was quick. I mean it was started and over within twelve seconds. It was completely silent after twelve seconds.
Speaker 1: So you'll learn this about me, or maybe you just won't believe me, but it's the truth. I rarely am going to try to throw things out there that help me get to an opinion that I want to have, or an opinion that I feel like I'm supposed to have and share, because unfortunately, I think now nobody really looks at facts or listens to both sides of things. They just have a side and they try to find things that help them feel more comfortable and correct. I guess in whatever side that they're on. I mean, I'd be a liar if I said I I know none of us know specifically what went on that other other than those that were there. But hearing that side of it from former Sergeant John Maddingly, I mean that's information that if all that's true, which I have no reason to think that it's not, And clearly I don't think he goes on the radio and says that if without it being able to be backed up. That can certainly change how someone might view Hankinson getting prison time. All right, let's get too quick update on traffic and weather right here on news Radioaate forty WHSI in his morning news here on news radioaight forty whas with Coffee and company. Appreciate you hanging out with us, Nick Coffee. That's me quick update I sixty five northbound and southbound. There was an accident on northbound and that was north of the Brooks exit, and it looks like it's caused some real issues, so be prepared for that again. Slow down on sixty five northbound in southbound looks like near the Brooks area, which of course would lead you right into near Louisville when you cross that county line and to Jefferson and of course maybe even back to the Shepherdsville exit. But from what I can see here, not much movement going on when you're looking at sixty five south and it looks like it may be causing some issues going north as well. So we'll get an update on that hopefully coming up here in just a few minutes with Bobby Ellis. All right, so let's talk about AI. I think to say that AI is evolving at a rapid rate would be a massive understatement. And I think the awareness of what it is and how it can be utilized in a positive way is spreading like crazy as well. And I think every day the amount of people who probably realize, oh wow, Chad GBT that that could help me, that could save me some time, that could be a very resourceful tool to just help me do a variety of things, including my job, including things that could that could improve my quality of life. But when you get relying upon it, then that could lead you to not even really using I mean, our brains will turn into mush if we just rely on this robot to do everything for us, which is a real concern. And then, of course, if you end up relying upon it and you literally don't even think for yourself at all, you just run with what the bot says, and the bot's not perfect. The bot makes mistakes, and that's just something you got to be mindful of. And the latest stories that have gotten some attention as far as just people trusting AI in it getting a little bit carried away. There is a thirty year old autistic man who has no prior mental illness diagnosis, but he began suffering manic episodes after the chatbot encouraged his fantasy about bending time through faster than light travel. He's I guess, now, so somebody that from a mental standpoint, they're saying that he's he's just assuming that maybe Chad GPT has has brainwashed him or some way. But he started showing signs of mania, and apparently Chad GPT told him that he was fine, reinforcing his growing detachment from reality. So what it sounds like is this, this is somebody that was having some issues and relied on chat GPT to tell him if this was normal, if it's gonna be okay, And it sounds like Chad GPT got it wrong, which I don't think this needs to be said, but I'm wrong.
Speaker 2: I suppose at least.
Speaker 1: With at least with one individual, if you're relying on CHADGYB to tell you, you know, if you're healthy, if if you know, I mean, I wouldn't mean even if Chad GPT and AI as a whole improved substantially, I still wouldn't ask it to tell me why I'm having the mental thoughts I'm having about certain things because I just wouldn't assume that tech could help me. When it comes to that, maybe I'll be proven wrong. But also there's a story of a guy who, again this is just this is a guy just being being, you know, trying to justify what he's doing as if everything's okay, probably more so just because of his own insecurities. But this is someone who said that they went off of their psychiatric meds and and told CHADGBT about it, and chat GPT encouraged that. And then also, uh, this person opened up about cheating on their spouse, and chat GPT gave this person some advice on how to better get away with it, which again I mean that's I mean, who knows, maybe CHADGBT could be resourceful enough to help people cheat on their spouse. That of course is something that is clearly frowned upon, but that may actually be an example of chet GPT being smart. I mean, again, it's a difference in being smart and being immoral. But when it comes to the you know, the AI world as far as risk versus rewards, I mean, you've got open AI CEO Sam Altman, who has been really sounding the alarm when it comes to the good and the bad with this.
Speaker 2: I mean, obviously there's going to be jobs lost.
Speaker 1: There's really categories as a whole that are going to be completely eliminated, like customer service, and there's other industries like retail cashiers. I mean, we already had the self checkout, but you include AI with the already seemingly pretty effective self checkout. I mean it could completely change, completely change and eliminate.
Speaker 2: That as well.
Speaker 1: And then there are some other jobs that I don't think are ever going to disappear, but AI is going to evolve what they do, which probably then makes their job less valuable when it comes to their employer, like journalists, writers, teachers, tutors. I mean, if your employer, the industry itself, can make it clear that they're.
Speaker 2: Relying way more on AI than they.
Speaker 1: Are anything you are specifically doing, that gives them a chance to say that you're not worthy of what you used to make, which again that's that's not a good thing. But it is going to continue to evolve, and who knows what it looks like next year, even next week. To be honest with you, all right, let's get an update on traffic and weather, and we'll also get an update on sports.
Speaker 2: Coming up here in about fifteen minutes or so right here our news radio burner.
Speaker 1: So yes, we've got an update here on the accident that I referenced earlier. So according to WLKY, there is a crash that's causing some big time traffic delays on I sixty five in Bullet County. So around seventy ten crash happened involving three vehicles on I sixty five north at mile marker. So it looks as if the left shoulder and the left two lanes of the northbound lanes are currently blocked. On six so the left shoulder and the left two lanes of the southbound lanes are blocked as well, So you've got north and south lanes blocked on I sixty five in Bullet County near the Brooks exit. So no word on injuries at this time, but they estimate this could take four hours to clear the scene. So this is potentially going to be a substantial delay in traffic. And if it hasn't already completely turned into a parking lot on both sides, I'm sure it will soon because again left shoulder and the left two lanes of the northbound lanes are blocked and the left shoulder and the left two lanes of the southbound lanes are blocked as well. In the meantime, it's it's it's a mess, it sounds like. So drivers are encouraged to get off on Preston Highway to avoid that congestion.
Speaker 2: So that's actually right near my neck of the woods.
Speaker 1: That's very close to where and now this this happens from time to time, and I'm sure I'm not the only one that does this that when I know that an accident has happened in a route or at least in an area that I know that my wife usually drives. Now I got a call and make sure that she's not involved in this. I don't think she is. Usually she's not out the door by that early. But yeah, pretty substantial. There's no word on injuries just yet, but clearly, when you're talking about lanes being closed on both sides and TRIMAC estimating four hours to clear the scene, it sounds to be very severe.
Speaker 2: So we'll keep you updated
Speaker 1: As best we can, as We've got another update of traffic coming your way with Bobby Ella's also another news update coming your way in about ten minutes time, so stick with us, it is Kentucky and this morning news Coffee and Company with Nick Coffee right here on news RADIOA fort ewhas