Speaker 1: The Dodgers are back in action tonight. We're at Dodgers Stadium as the Braves are in town zero to four after getting swept in San Diego. And I'm joined right now by a San Diego native. But he made his bones in Los Angeles. The all time LA Dodger home run leader and Rookie of the Year circa nineteen ninety two, and now a television star on Sportsnet LA. That's the one and only Eric Harrows. Thanks a lot for the time.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, what do you mean circa nineteen ninety two? It was either nineteen ninety two or not. It wasn't around ninety two, but yes, thank you for the inertro Dave.
Speaker 1: And then nineteen ninety three you were eclipsed by Mike Piazza.
Speaker 2: And then Montacy and then Nomo and who El Hollingsworth. Yeah, that was quite a little run.
Speaker 1: Hey, Speaking up Nomo, you were teammates with him when he made his debut. You were teammates with him when he pitched a no hitter at Corsfield. What was it like being his teammate compared to what we're experiencing now?
Speaker 2: Well, I think, look at what we're experiencing now is next level. You know, show hate playing every day. I mean, and you're talking about arguably the greatest baseball player to ever walk. And when I say that doesn't mean he's the greatest hitter or but baseball player, pitching, hitting, all of those sort of things. And then the experience we had in Japan so a little different. But without Nomo, none of this happens, no question, in my mind, none of this happens. And he came over and really had the weight of the country on his shoulders, and he came over and just took this place by storm, and it was great to be a part of.
Speaker 1: I know, major leaguers, you know, hear the hype, but if you're his teammate or opponent, you want to make him prove it. When did you know that he had the stuff?
Speaker 2: I mean, really just from the get go. Two things. Obviously the stuff, you know, the way he threw the wind up was unique, and then threw that splitter forkball which was unhittable. But the thing that probably at least endeared me the most to him was his competitiveness and the fact that this dude would take the ball no matter what. I mean, his arm could be hanging by a string and he wanted the ball, and and that, you know, that says something. And that's something that like when you have that type of player in your clubhouse, and especially if he's on the mound, you'll run through a wall for him.
Speaker 1: Edeo Nomo, like many Japanese players, is very stoic on the mound. There was no panic, no matter what the situation. What was he like in the clubhouse behind the scenes.
Speaker 2: I mean, he was pretty much the same. I mean he would laugh and joke around when he wasn't pitching at him, And there was another picture Ishmael Valdezos two would always kind of joke around, and you know, Dale would be more animated. But when it came time to pitch it, you couldn't tell, you know, if he was throwing a no hitter or if he had run into some trouble. And like I said, though, the ability to just or the desire to take the ball no matter what whenever, I guess it was on parallel.
Speaker 1: Ericos is our guest. He was playing first base in Denver, Colorado when Hideoomo pitched the one and only no hitter ever at Corsfield. Your former teammate Tim Wallack likes to remind me he was at third base and hit a home run in that game. Is that one of the greatest pitching feats we have seen in the last thirty plus years.
Speaker 2: I don't know that that'll ever be duplicated, just obviously with the way the ball travels in the expanse of outfield. But to Hideo's credit, that was a game that we had. I want to say, it was almost a two hour rain delay before we started. And just to prove his point, not only did he pitch a no hitter there, but at the time he also a few years later he pitched one at Camden Yards, which again was probably one of the most hitter friendly ballparks. It's not now so much they move the fences back, but for a guy to throw a no hitter at Camden and Cooers Field, I mean not happening again the Tornado.
Speaker 1: Hideoomo was Eric Carros's teammate. Let's fast forward to twenty twenty five. Shoe Heo Tani threw his first bullpen session on Saturday. Do you see him pitching anytime before the All Star break? And do the Dodgers need him to.
Speaker 2: No and no, it would be the answer to that, right, I mean the bottom line, and you want him as far as organizations concerned, you just want him ready for the postseason and him to be at his best. Now, that's gonna be up to him and the staff and training staff, coaches, you know, when he starts that process. But I got to believe that that is the what everything is built around. How is he going to be at his best in the postseason and whatever they determine, that'll determine when he throws. But is there a need for it? I mean no, there's no need for him to throw. There's no need for about five guys to throw because they got you know, a great staff up here. They got another five in Triple A. They got another three or four on the ILB, so pitching is not an issue.
Speaker 1: And they got one in Double A. Your son, Jery Carros, how is Jared spring and how does he feel about starting out in Tulsa.
Speaker 2: I think this the spring went really well. Just had an outing yesterday and just dominated again. And so he and Jackson Ferris, both guys are going to start the year at Double A. And you know it's again it's one of the great things about the organization is that you are going to be the best version of yourself and you're going to You're going to max out on your potential so that that you're forever grateful. The tough thing is the road to the big leagues isn't isn't always a straight line. And where guys that are in Triple A and even double A could be on big league staffs elsewhere, you know, not gonna happen here in LA because of the pitching riches.
Speaker 1: We'll see you in Philly, and I know you're you're gonna be starving yourself between now and our dinner on Thursday.
Speaker 2: I will not eat that whole day until you're treating me for dinner.
Speaker 1: He will not let me forget he picked the Dodgers, I unfortunately picked the Phillies emotionally last year. Thanks a lot for the time and can't wait to be on the road with the great Eric Harrows.
Speaker 2: Thanks Dave,