Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: A lot on the agenda today for President Trump. He has already greeted the Los Angeles Dodgers, honoring them for their World Series win.
Speaker 3: From last year. They got a little tour of the Oval office.
Speaker 2: Clayton Kershop presented him with a Trump forty seven jersey. Then Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Nett Yahoo is also in town. The expectation is they're going to hold a news conference a short time from now. I think it's probably about eleven thirty is when we're going to see some of that. But obviously tariffs are going to be a big issue that they talk about. Of course, Israel was one of those countries that was hit with an import late levy as a result of this, although they have said that they would be willing to negotiate of the war in Gaza's back on again.
Speaker 3: That's going to be a topic.
Speaker 1: So are you feeling a headache? Are you feeling have you been coughing? How's the old abdominal area? How's your temperature hot?
Speaker 3: Cold?
Speaker 1: And norm normoush normish. Have you been You were in mammoth right recently? Was the beginning of Were you exposed to urine when you were there?
Speaker 3: Probably?
Speaker 2: Yes, Yes, he did urinate other other your other people's, other people.
Speaker 3: Are there other things? Doubt it. They urinate that.
Speaker 1: Droppings of saliva. Did you get into any of that?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: I did.
Speaker 3: Okay, wait, questionnaire is over.
Speaker 1: So we talked with the death of Gene Hackman and his wife about this whole rodent born virus threat. Apparently in New Mexico it's a thing because of the environment and what have you. It's a apparently a thing hantavirus, hantavirus, whatever you want to call it, and mammoth as well. In fact, three people have died from this, and health officials say that it's very rare to have three deaths like that at this time of year.
Speaker 3: Well it's rare.
Speaker 2: I mean, hantavirus itself is pretty rare, and there have been those fewer than one hundred residents in the state diagnosed with hantavirus since nineteen eighty.
Speaker 3: There was an outbreak.
Speaker 2: This is what I remember because I was in college and there was a concern that it was happening on the Four Corners region New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado, Utah.
Speaker 3: That area specifically.
Speaker 2: Represented the first confirm instances of the haunt of virus endemic to the Americas that could cause disease. Following the outbreak, they described this as hantavirus pulmonary syndrome, and I remembered it because there were so many warnings that were put out in California, and again these cases weren't even in California, but there were places that geographically mirrored that location, and they said, there could be problems here because we have some of the same rodents, we have some of the same conditions, and you can't, for example, be careful when you're sweeping out your cabin or something like that from the winter, because this is how you disturb the haunt of virus tainted droppings of these rodents, and then it gets in your lungs and then you're sick.
Speaker 3: Health of visuals.
Speaker 1: Believe that a boom and the deer mouse population may be to blame. I'm gonna throw this out there. Squirrels, what about them? Squirrels carry this and we all know. Let me believe my eyes and my ears when I say that squirrels have become out of control.
Speaker 3: Their behavior, their bravery, their courage.
Speaker 2: Their readencourage make it sound like they're positive qualities.
Speaker 3: And I think you mean in the negative way. They're pretentious. They think that they they think you want.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're precocious was the word I was looking for. They think that I want them, and they think I want them in my life and I don't. They think they that you want them to live outside with you on your deck and eat with you, and you don't. They are aggressive, They're more aggressive. They've become more aggressive. Yeah, there's more of them. I see them everywhere.
Speaker 3: Are you seeing them at home?
Speaker 1: Or you talking about seeing I haven't seen this guy in a long time. I think he is gone.
Speaker 3: He has left us. He got rabies and died from it. Probably he clearly had rabies us. No, he's dead. I'm pretty sure he's dead.
Speaker 1: All those squirrels live a very long time, and we learn that they learn like they live like eighteen twenty years.
Speaker 3: Squirrels do, right, I think, so did we learn that? Yeah?
Speaker 1: But uh, I think I don't think it's a mouse.
Speaker 3: I think it's these crazy ass squirrels.
Speaker 1: I think it's perfectly normal to just come up with you and like like they're no longer just like hunting for nuts or hiding their nuts in your planter boxes. They're like trying to live amongst us. And I bet those little those those those little roadents are spreading this thing well. But here's the thing, the squirrels we're dealing with in New Mexico.
Speaker 3: Here's the thing that we're that makes this unusual.
Speaker 2: And that's what doctor tom Boo, the Mono County Public Health officer, says. The timing and the circumstances are atypical because you're not going to see a lot of those mice rolling around or definitely not squirrels rolling around this time of year in the Mono Lakes area or or Mammoth Lakes area because there's snow on the ground. They don't get out and party like they would in the late spring early summer, which is much more common for these but.
Speaker 3: With climate change, no, but yeah, but it's still cold up there. It's still I've.
Speaker 1: Seen squirrels in the cold. Here's the thing. You think it's the flu? Is the other thing? Fatigue, fever, muscle eggs, headaches, disneyness, chills, all of that, and then you just die. About one in three people who contact the virus die.
Speaker 2: Air out your spaces. That's one of the things that doctor Boo says is air out your space.
Speaker 3: Doctor Boo, I just told you. He's the Mono County Public Health Office. Sorry, I was a catastrophized.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 3: Is that the right word? Yes, you did. You nailed it. They said.
Speaker 2: The incubation period following a haunt virus infection usually last weeks and begins as flu like symptoms.
Speaker 3: You mentioned all of those things that cant to you and then die and then death.
Speaker 2: In the summer of twenty twelve, three visitors to Yosemite died from an outbreak of hantavirus. They stayed squirrels up there in Curry Village.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my husband's going to go stay in one of those in a couple of weeks, is he really?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's where he stays up there.
Speaker 2: Ten cabins crack the window when he starts sweeping out the old uh mouse poop.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you want him to survive. I don't know how the things are going at home right. Well, it's day to day, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Today I may want him to survive the Unta virus tomorrow.
Speaker 3: I may not. I don't know. You know how marriage is. Yep, you rushed to pick you up after you fell on the ground. He just left me there, are you kidding? He's like looking around, like do do?
Speaker 2: Which would I suppose it's better than laughing, Like pointing and laughing would have been better.
Speaker 1: When they ignore it, then it's like you don't want to embarrass the old person who fell down. If you're young and spry and you fall, it's funny. Hah, you fell down. If you're legit of falling age, no one laughs at you. The last time you laughed at an old person falling down. You don't do that. Young people, you get the laughter. Old mother in law was in town a week and a half ago. She fell down and laughed. No did she fall down?
Speaker 3: No she did not. Oh that I saw she may have. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I wasn't home all the time, but it was not announced that she fell down. But if she did, that would have been pretty funny. That is not true. That would not have been funny at all.
Speaker 1: Now you're going to be in the tent cabin. Dian of the rodent droppings.
Speaker 5: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI Am six forty.
Speaker 2: We are watching what's going on in the White House with a little bit of a head scratching going on. Benjaminett and Yaho, Israeli Prime Minister is at the White House and is meeting with President Trump. The White House just announced though a short time ago, that there will not be a news conference, and we don't know why. The last time this happened was, of course, when President Zelenski of Ukraine was at the White House for a meeting and the joint news conference was called off because we saw how that went in the Oval Office and it wasn't great. I don't know what the reasoning is for the calling off of the news conference with Benjamin and Yahoo and President Trump, so something to keep our eyes on. Of course, they're dealing with everything that's been going on with the tariffs. President Trump, earlier today on Truth Social said the United States has a chance to do something that should have been done decades ago. Don't be weak, don't be stupid, don't be a pannikin oh which is a new again. He's writing a new party based on weak and stupid people. He said, be strong, courageous, and patient, and greatness will be the result.
Speaker 3: Stay the course, Stay the course.
Speaker 1: Opening statements begin today in a case that we have followed since we got wind of it, the Doomsday Mom.
Speaker 3: Remember this. This is going on in Arizona.
Speaker 1: Lori Valoda Bell accused of conspiring to kill her fourth husband, and she was found guilty in Idaho in twenty twenty three of murdering her two kids and conspiring to murder her husband's first wife.
Speaker 3: That story is just so wild every time we tell it.
Speaker 1: With this pretty woman who's got these bodies piled up behind her, and you.
Speaker 3: Know, we've even seen them.
Speaker 1: We've even seen bodycam footage of cops talking to her on the scene of one of these bodies that found itself in front of her. And you can see how deferential the cops are to her despite her being on the scene of a dead body, and just there's no way she could have anything to do with it.
Speaker 3: Look at her, She's this.
Speaker 1: Cute, young, petite blonde mom that she wouldn't be a suspect. Yeah, and that's how she operated for years under that umbrella, and she killed her kids, a couple husbands. I think there's a brother in there, an ex wife.
Speaker 2: In subsequent interviews, you can tell she's her feet do not touch the earth. She is not there there, no, no, no, And it's pretty clear in some of those.
Speaker 3: Well, and that's her whole thing, right.
Speaker 1: She was the doomsday person who hooked up with a number another doomsday person and thought that Satan had taken over her children, which is why she killed them.
Speaker 3: It's just it's just odd.
Speaker 1: She's like one of the perfect cases of when crazy doesn't present itself.
Speaker 3: We all think about.
Speaker 1: Crazy people, and we think of crazy presents itself as crazy. It looks crazy, you know it when you see it. But she is one of those people. And you know the proof is in all those bodycam interviews. It's like she doesn't appear. I mean, once you start listen really listening to her, you're like, eh, there's a few beers short of a six pack here, but she doesn't look crazy. And those are the most dangerous people. Yeah, Like what, like, you could have killed four people this weekend and look at you, all normal, mister normal pants.
Speaker 3: I'll never know.
Speaker 2: I'll never know floating down the Brazos River right now. I would have taken them to Lake Lake Waco anyway, it's better hiding spots. The State Water Resources Control Board here in California's begun holding a series of hearings on a petition by Governor Newsom to amend water rights permits so that flows can be diverted from new points on the Sacramento River where the intake of a forty five mile Delta tunnel would be built.
Speaker 1: You know, Gavin Newsom has done a couple things that I've agreed with, and I don't remember what all of them are. One of them was that he sat down or he was going to sit down with Republicans for his podcast and kind of talk about differences, and I thought that was a great idea. He did something else recently where I thought it was a really good idea, and now I can't remember what it was.
Speaker 3: It's really I should you it start. I should start writing this stuff down.
Speaker 1: But he has done a couple things as he gets ready to continue running for president and move to the middle that makes sense.
Speaker 3: And this is one of them.
Speaker 1: Yes, we should find a way to bring the water down, but the fact that we haven't goes back to the Delta smelt and all the things that President Trump talked about with John Cobalt when they had that interview. This is called the Delta Conveyance Projects, right, that's Sexy's name.
Speaker 2: The state needs to build new infrastructure in the Delta to protect the water supply, they say, because of climate change and earthquake risks. A bunch of the big water agencies here in Southern California, including the Metropolitan Water District Southern California, support this idea because and I should say they support it by giving some of the money originally for the planning work. I mean, just a couple of months ago, the Metropolitan Water District voted to spend one hundred and forty two million dollars for some of the original planning work. Now, they obviously deliver millions of gallons of water, you know, to millions of people, But the Metropolitan Water District probably won't even side whether to invest in the building of the tunnel until twenty twenty seven. So this is still one of those things that's a decade out. It should have been done three decades ago. Opponents of this plan, especially those that are in northern California and they like their water to stay there. Environmental advocates are against it native tribes. They say that this is an expensive boondoggle that would actually harm the environment.
Speaker 1: I don't know if they care about the environment. I feel like we need to follow the money here. I mean, this has been something that governors have failed to get over the finish line. Schwarzenegger wanted it, Jerry Brown wanted it. Everyone realizes the water problem in California that exists, But there's got to be the money that's held up somewhere. And it could be absolutely the Native American poll here. I don't know, but there's gotta be a reason other than the delta smelt. I just think that that is grade A blown but not even the kind of blowning You and I we eat the real bad stuff, expired stuff with the little knots and you don't know what that is whatever.
Speaker 2: But if you're gonna if you're gonna pick a cause to rally people in California behind, that's gonna be your bigger that's gonna be a bigger poll.
Speaker 1: I think for people, it's not like you said, it's not sexy. Yeah, I mean every time we talk about water, it's like, oh my god, But it's so important and it's it's and I guess that's why it's not politically savvy to dive into this argument because it's not sexy.
Speaker 3: But it's it's it's it's literally the only thing we need in this life is water, and I mean it doesn't.
Speaker 2: It doesn't generate the excitement exactly until all of it.
Speaker 3: It's not gonna get it.
Speaker 1: It's not gonna get voters to the poles unless it's brown water like in Flint.
Speaker 6: Late three year old early four year old notorious South Africa mom driving me around in the rain looking for little fairies flying around flowers because they come out in the rain. So Nele say, I.
Speaker 1: Love that so much that his mom told him that fairies come out in the rain.
Speaker 3: I'd love that. That's very outsized reaction to that story. I'm sorry, are you gonna start crying? All right?
Speaker 2: Let us know what is your earliest memory that you have super early, like two, three four.
Speaker 3: Something like that.
Speaker 1: Go on, you're not thinking about it little fairies like no, okay, I'll put that to bed with the puppets.
Speaker 3: I doubt it. I feel like it's going to come back, just like the puppets.
Speaker 2: Michael Monks, It's gonna join us let's talk about the the head of the LA Homeless Services Authority realized her days are numbered because she ain't going to get no money.
Speaker 3: We'll explain what's going on.
Speaker 5: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 3: Live everywhere below the belt iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Dow Jones Industrial Average still down about three hundred points. It had a brief moment in positive territory earlier today, but it is down below zero once again, down two hundred and ninety.
Speaker 3: Two at this moment.
Speaker 2: The White House has announced that they're not going to do a news conference a joint news conference with Benjamin eett Yahu and President Trump taking questions, but that President Trump will be taking some questions. We assume that the tariffs in the fallout from the tariffs are going to be the main topic.
Speaker 1: So Michael Monks from KFI News has been on top of the homelessness issue four years now, and they are actually showing movement in downtown LA. Whether it's the judge who told Karen Bass and the County Board of Supervisors get your act together and start accounting for all this money the voters have approved for you to fix this or the heads that have rolled recently. One of the heads that is rolling is the LA Homeless Chief. She is resigning. Valechia Adams Kellum, the head of the LA Homeless Services Authority, announced her resignation on Friday. Why well, the County Board of Supervisors decided to say, you have no clothes emperor. They strepped her agency of more than three hundred million dollars and took away hundreds of workers. Michael's on this and we see this coming, Michael, what's going on? Where did she run a foul?
Speaker 4: The writing was on the wall, not just for her, but maybe for LASA overall. Last week was probably the most consequential week in the history of fighting homelessness in Los Angeles in quite some time, because it all fell apart.
Speaker 3: As you noted.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's been years and years of spending billions and billions of dollars and seeing very limited, if any results at all. And so what happened last week. On Monday, the new half sent sales tax goes into effect. That's to spend a lot more money on homeless programs. On Tuesday, the LA County Board of Supervisors voted to leave LASA and create their own internal homeless department. Meanwhile, at City Hall, the city decided to scale back Mayor Bass's inside Safe program, denying her millions of dollars that she wanted. And then on Friday, Valicia Adams Kellum, the head of the LA Homeless Services Authority, said I'm out and it's probably the right decision because the agency she was brought into oversea is not going to be that agency anymore. By around this time next year, they'll have a lot fewer employees and hundreds of millions of dollars less than their account.
Speaker 2: She was also considered one of the architects of that Inside Safe program.
Speaker 4: Very close ally of Mayor Bass. Mayor Bass brought her end oversee this agency. This is an agency that is co governed by the county and the city.
Speaker 1: I think she's getting out before the fraud bomb.
Speaker 3: Strikes the froud moomb.
Speaker 1: Well, because inside Safe was at the heart of this whole, like, well.
Speaker 3: How are you spending your money?
Speaker 1: Remember, the mayor didn't want the city Controller to be in charge of the audit of inside Safe for whatever reason, and that's part of why the judge said you're doing it wrong. And now suddenly the person that Bass placed at the head of Inside Safe is cutting and running.
Speaker 3: I'm smelling something here.
Speaker 4: And you're right to suggest that there are a lot more eyeballs on this spending. It seems like the folks who were kind of letting it fly under the radar for a little while are now pulling up their pants, tucking in their shirts, and getting real serious about this money. And that's what I mean about the significant development at city Hall. They don't just write blank checks to the mayor's program anymore. They want to see the data, they want to see the results, they want to see the receipts. And it's all pushed by what happened two weeks ago when Judge David Carter said, y'all got to get it together because we.
Speaker 3: Are not getting the answers that we want.
Speaker 4: I don't know if you notice, but I'm a federal judge and I can make your life hell. And so he was in skid row in recent days with our new US Attorney Bill A. Saley, who was walking right alongside him. So you can tell that the Feds are getting real serious about this. The county has made a very significant change. We have to see how serious they are about it. And now the city is pulling up the rear and they're gonna have to figure out what they do next.
Speaker 3: What do we know about this new US attorney.
Speaker 4: Bill Saley, assembly member from Riverside County. He's been a guest on KFI many times.
Speaker 1: I was going to say his name sounds familiar, and I haven't done any research on it, but I mean, if you bring in a new US attorney to this district who has political aspirations and is looking to crucify people, this is a good place to start.
Speaker 4: It's going to be an interesting dynamic because this is obviously a liberal stronghold in general, but when there is a Republican president, you do end up with a Republican US attorney to be BILLI.
Speaker 3: Saley.
Speaker 4: This is more power than he has had in a long time. He's a very outspoken Republican lawmaker and has certainly highlighted his positions here on this station. But now he's kind of got some authority on his own here locally in the central district of California, so it's La County, Orange County, and I think he'll find a way to keep himself busy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he's definitely ambitious Yeah, what happens to LASA if she leaves?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 2: What does I mean this is it appears to be sort of the beginning of the disintegration because without all the money that they were getting before, is there a place for LOASA to exist in any sort of capacity like it was previously?
Speaker 4: Even the county suggested that there would be a place for LASSA, primarily through the federal funding that is received to fight homelessness on the local level, and one of those primary functions is the simple task of counting the number of homeless people.
Speaker 3: And over the past couple of years, los has.
Speaker 4: Claimed there's been a little bit of a decline in the number of homeless people living on the streets, so they would still do that. But what is the organization if it's not La County anymore and it's just essentially an extension of the city's homeless efforts. That's yet to be seen and we have not seen any proposals emerge formally from the city.
Speaker 1: Michael, thank you, Thank you for staying on top of all of this and playing in the weeds and then bringing all of the things you found in the weeds to us and the dandelions. Is it raining are there fairies with the dandelions?
Speaker 3: I don't think so, what is happening? Oh?
Speaker 1: So do you have an earliest memory? Do you have an earliest memory?
Speaker 3: I think it also, I do, I do? Okay, what is it? Okay?
Speaker 4: So I'm a child, I'm walking running, young enough to run.
Speaker 3: And young enough to run enough. Well, the music starting, then I wanted to play to the mood. So I'm in the grass.
Speaker 4: I've got a diaper on sagging a little bit hm, and I'm running towards my mom.
Speaker 3: I'm holding a.
Speaker 4: Cookie chocolate chip and half of it breaks off as I'm running to my mother on the grass.
Speaker 3: And that is my earliest mind. What do you remember feeling in that moment that it was probably all going to go to hell after that, the whole life.
Speaker 4: Well, I remember running to my mom and that is a memory that sticks with me every time I've run back to her since, as recently as two weeks ago.
Speaker 3: Really yeah, you know, yeah, I live in LA. Can you send a check.
Speaker 1: I called my mom when I was having a mental breakdown and she said, I'm on the toilet and I said, why are you answering the phone?
Speaker 3: And then that was the end of the conversation, that's your earliest memory. If she hears this, she will kill me and never speak to me again. But yeah, so we're talking. We were talking about.
Speaker 1: Earliest memories, and somebody used to talk back and said that his earliest memory he's in the car with his mom. It's raining and he's looking for fairies in the rain because she told him, Oh, a'm that cute it is.
Speaker 4: I think that all of these are made up, right, Like I don't know that this really happened.
Speaker 1: I see.
Speaker 3: That's thing with my memory is like did that really happened?
Speaker 1: Or you just think it happened and then you solidify that in your head through the years of thinking that happened.
Speaker 3: Well, thanks for the question. So it wasn't a way you never didn't give an age. I think I was probably you two.
Speaker 4: I've stopped wearing diapers around fourteen, so it had to be before then. But I'm thinking this was two the first time. Yeah, thank you. Always a pleasure, guys. All right, vintage motels? You ever stay in one of these places?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: But I love a vintage motel. And ps I think that whoever runs what was the destiny in listens to the show, because they've totally rebranded that place we used to go after the destiny In pretty hard on this show. It's right on the five there through I want to say, like industry or oh oh, I know it and destiny In's right, it's right there along the freeway and they've since called it, I think it's called the Road Away In, which isn't better. But they have fixed the windows and put up some curtains in there, so they have done some some renovation since we started tearing them down.
Speaker 3: Road Away. That's not good.
Speaker 2: Then Gary Shannon will continue still maybe it's maybe there's still cocktail napkining this whole thing, I hope.
Speaker 5: So you're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI A M six forty