Speaker 1: Welcome Back Man night viewers, where we cover whatever the hell I want. Apparently I'm follom alone, and today it is a very special bonus episode. We're gonna be taking a look at the Sci Fi Channel Limited mini series The Lost Room, and we have a special guest here to help us do just that. Chances are if you've been a fan of paranormal horror television, then you have no doubt sampled this man's wares. He started his writing career with the end of Decent Stephen segoal Flick's That Was under Siege two Dark Territory, and he managed to make Chapstick a horrifying notion in the Mothman prophecies. In the intervening years, he has been a writer and or producer on some of the best television of the past quarter century. He could mic drop with his involvement with season one of Eric Kripke's endlessly running series Supernatural Alone. But wait, there's more. He's lent his unique voice to the Dead Zone, The Gates. He created that one too, Heavenly Grim, which is of East End, Damien, The in Between, and most recently on the DC Comics television series Titans and While I certainly encourage you to check out all of his work. For an immediate dose of mister HadAM, check out his podcast, Richard Hadam's paranormal Bookshelf, part memoir, part horror story, part book review and recommendation. Their Tale, Their tales, well told by a raconteur par excellence, and he's here today to answer all of my questions about the Lost Room. Welcome to Midnight Viewing, Richard.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much, Father Malone. I'm so happy to be here. And that was a lovely introduction.
Speaker 1: I appreciated my pleasure entirely. Before we get to the magnificence that was the Lost Room, tell us how you got there, What got you involved in the writing game? What were the steps for you?
Speaker 2: Sir Well, I had just left Supernatural in season one and it was genuine well what was it? Maybe it was a little later it maybe it was more like March of two thousand and six, And this came through my agent. I was sent a script, as i often am, and in this case, I was told they're looking for an executive producer. This is a sci fi mini series. We don't know, you know, usually those things go three nights, but just read the script and see if you like it, and we'll kind of go from there. So, as I had done a million times before, I started reading the script and something different happened. And I've said this before, and it delights me to say it. I don't like anything. I don't like anything that I read. I have never I can almost say I've never read anything that I've been that has been submitted to me to either rewrite or deal with on some level that I have said, oh my god, I love this. But with this thing, which at the time was called Motelman that was the script that I read. It was called motel Man, and I'm like, okay, well that just sounds goofy and great reading it. Yeah, And bit by bit I became more and more involved. And then there was the scene. You've watched the miniseries, so you know what I'm referring to multiple times.
Speaker 1: We'll get into it for our listeners.
Speaker 2: Please, well, let me just say that, whether you've seen it, whether you haven't seen it, the sequence in the hospital where he meets Wally, and then the scene right after that where they're talking in the diner, the top of my head came off. I'm like, this is the greatest thing I've ever read. I've never ever even things I've seen. I'm not the kind of guy who's like, I wish I wrote that Lost Room. I wish i'd written it. Now you get scared because you get to a point and you're thirty pages in, four pages in, and and you're like, wait a second, this is the greatest thing ever. Then you get scared because you're like, Okay, well now now it's got nowhere to go but down. It's gonna fumble it. It's gonna it's gonna fumble the concept. Something is going to go off the rails. Otherwise they I wouldn't have this. And by the way, let me be clear, they weren't showing it to me to be rewritten. It was like, hey, this has been chosen. Lions Gate is producing for the Sci Fi Channel. They're they're they're going they they want this, So I'm i going boy, home boy. And then it got better.
Speaker 1: They're asking they're not asking you for a rewrite. What are they asking you for that? You you now they've trust you. Obviously you've had this experience on Supernatural, which is a fucking amazing television series. I think even by season one people could have figured that out, right, Are they hoping that this goes to series and you become a la on that show?
Speaker 2: Well, at this point all they need is an experienced television showrunner. So at this point I had created and co ran Miracles, which was my show, and then I had worked on Wow, True Calling the Inside Supernatural, so I'd done various things. But they were like, and by the way, I was not the first person on their list. In the ensuing years, I've met two other people who got that script before me and were like, I don't get it and said no, and I know, And one of them was like a guy I sort of knew, and I'm like really, and he's like, yeah, but I mean I thought it was kind of weird, but you know, but but you know, it came out great, And I'm like, how do you not this is the best thing ever? Like, this doesn't.
Speaker 1: Exist difference to your friends, they sound like morons.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I'll say this particular phrase a lot in marketing, and such fiercely original enough that it's kind of become meaningless when it's when you actually apply it in its truest state. We're talking about the lost drop, right, It is stareringly original.
Speaker 2: Well, and if look, this would be a very different interview if it had become the success it deserved to become, if it had become lost, you know, or you know whatever. Pick your show that came out of nowhere and became a part of a cultural conversation as this should have. I would be a genius for saying yeah. And I was the first one to go, wait, this is great. But it doesn't matter because it's still great, And any one of your listeners can literally have the best weekend of their lives with six hours of something you've never heard of, a cast out of heaven and a story in which a world is care that's our world, and a mythology is created that's made up of things in our world. And it just gets deeper and more layered and more interesting. And it's one of those wonderful shows. I was just rewatching it this afternoon. It's one of those wonderful things that just it doesn't happen. I wanted to say, it doesn't happen nowadays. It doesn't happen ever there where you're watching a show that starts teaching you its own rules, and then you start playing along and producing You're like, oh, right, but if that's the rule, then this is going to happen. And then we see that situation play out. Or wait a second, they said this, which means that's not going to work. Oh, but they thought of that. So you're interacting with the show as it's happening, and it's so fun. It's just it's it was a blast from beginning to end.
Speaker 1: A show that, as you said, it's an investigation. We've got a detective at the heart of it, and he is investigating this key that he's found at the beginning of the series, which opens that leads to a room that was involved in an event. Now as this as the as the show progresses, the thing is, it is an investigation, but it's not necessarily about the objects or the room. I mean, it becomes about him and his daughter, which is kind of the wonderful backbone to the entire thing. The thing is you mentioned, like the rules of the show as it examines the as it sort of lays them out. It lays them out so elegantly and so economically and so visually. It's like, here's the object and then we see what that does and go, oh, okay, So another thing from that room? Does that? Oh okay? And as you said, they really do think of everything. It's just it's endless the applications of these items.
Speaker 2: And I wish, you know, and if I had half a brain, we could have arranged for Chris Leone to be on this and maybe at a later date you can talk to him, because he's fantastic. And I don't know if your audience has seen this or knows what it is. It's funny. When I was working on it, it was one of those things where people would say, hey, what are you working on right now? And I'd say, oh, it's a it's a show called The Lost Room, and they say, oh, really, what's that? And then I would say, do you have five minutes, which which retroactively should have included me in that that This was not a you know, you say one line and everyone's like, I got it. But if your audience doesn't know, I'm going to try to explain what the show is at okay.
Speaker 1: Because you can't. You said you can't say die Hard in them all or.
Speaker 2: On a train, right, okay, So I'm going to try to describe what the show is as as clearly and succinctly as possible. It begins as a police drama. Okay, some people have been killed in a mysterious way. The police detective in charge of the investigation, played by Peter Kraus, who is wonderful in real life and in the show. He's investigating and he picks up on a suspect. But something strange is happening with the suspect. He keeps disappearing, you know, running up to doors and disappearing inside rooms, and it's not making sense. When a little bit of the cloud of mystery begins to dissipate, what we learn is that there is this key, a motel room key, an old fashioned one, not a not a card, but one that has you know, had a little plastic thing hanging off of it, and it looks like a key, and that there's something weird about this key. It fits any door that has a doorknob and a you know, a lock that you can stick a key into. But it fits any one of those, Okay, But when you're using that key and you open that door, it will always open into a motel room. The same motel room that's located in Gallop, New Mexico at the Sunshine Motel and has existed out of time since the nineteen sixties, so this is already an esthetic that I love. There's nothing I love more than a roadside motel from mid century Okay, so okay, So what happens from there? Well, the key to this motel room is one of only one of many many objects that have been stolen from this motel room from various people who have the key. When objects are taken out of this motel room, and it's basically empty, almost everything's been taken out of it. When those objects come out of the motel room into our world, they have weird, random, almost pointless powers. A pencil tapped on a table produces pennies, but the pen it has like a lightning power in it, So if you jab someone with the pen kind to cook them. And then there's the cone scissors, and the clock and the box watch and the bus ticket. The bus ticket. You tap someone with a bus ticket and they immediately are transported to a roadside somewhere outside of Gallup, New Mexico. And so it it. But you're you're sort of learning this stuff as our hero learns this stuff, and the characters involved are really sort of offbeat. And what you begin to realize is that the people who live among us, who know about all this stuff, become obsessed with it. They become obsessed with with possessing or collecting these various objects if they can. Some of them are very valuable. People have lost their lives and it's very sort of almost like low level gangster kind of shit where where people are are stealing the objects from each other. And then and then you learn that over the day decades that human beings have been aware of these odd things. And it's all America based. It's all right here in our current modern world.
Speaker 1: It's beautifully American.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all about Americana, by the way, but it's all existing like just under your you. You could be in a diner and the people at the next booth could be talking about where are they going to find this scissors? So so all of this stuff is going on. But but various groups have now formed. And again these are not large armies. These are weird ragtag groups of oddball people. There's the Legion and the Order and the collectors and there, and they're people, you know, some people believe that that these objects are all like part of God, almost like horcruxes, and if you put them all together, you will meet God. And then there's another group that that just wants to get them all off the market. They just believe they're the legion and they just believe, Look, these things always in in bad news, and we've just got to get all of them out of circulation, put them back in the room, throw the key away, and banish this thing into obscurity. Then there's other groups and other people, and all these people have their agendas, but they're all kind of you know, they're almost like again, like low level grifters, you know, and that's what just makes it feels so real and so delicious and by the way, so funny. So I read the script, I tell my agent, I don't know, I really love this. What do they want? They just need someone to work with the writers just to make sure that this stuff is producible, and you know, interact with Lionsgate and Sci Fi Channel and get this thing produced because they want to make it right away. It's March and they want to be in production in three months. And I'm like, okay, this is a tall order, Okay, but I love it because let's do it. You know, I'm always I'm up. And this is in two thousand and six. This is eighteen years ago, young man. So it's like, great, so we're going to do this. So I go in for the meeting and I'm meeting with the Lionsyate executive and I'm telling her, you know, I think it's fascinating. I'm telling her all the things we're talking about. And then I'm like and it's hilarious, and she's like, I love it. She's like, you got to meet the writers. And when you do tell them that, I'm like, okay, of course. And so I meet with them. And so these writers are Chris Leoni, Laura Harkem and Paul Workman. These three people and I don't know who they are. They've never worked before in terms of writing something that's been produced. And I meet them and they seem like splendid people. So very quickly the deal gets made and I sit down with them and I'm like, look, I think this is great, and they're like, well, what did you read? And I said, I read this. I read this first script. I guess it's two hours, right, And they're like, yeah, so we're going to make ten hours of this. And I was like oh, ten hours, and they're like, yeah, we've got the first eight sort of worked out, and then you know, and the second two hours are written, the third two hours, making it six hours we have outlined, and then also an outline for some other stuff. And I'm like, well, okay, so more material needs to be generated on the page, but we've got something to begin with. So we'll spend the next few weeks getting getting all that stuff ready so that we can go back to Sci Fi Channel and Lionsgate and go okay, so here's the plan. And early on I think sci Fi said we don't need ten hours. Eight hours would be great, and I'm like, great, So we mapped out our eight hours. They were very familiar with the first chunk, but we had to sort of go into the studio and the network and say, okay, so here's the rest of it and here's how it ends. And it was pitched and they loved it and we were on our way. So which was fortunate again because they were moving very very quickly. So let me tell you about Chris and Paul and Laura Wheeze. Okay, because I had questions, I'm like, wow, what is this, like, what is this based on something like is this a graphic novel or something. They're like, no, it's just this thing we came up with. What it was was that Chris and Paul went to school together. I believe it was Carnegie Mellon, but they went to school together in Pennsylvania, and they both worked at the library and they worked late shift, and they worked this sort of job where there were a lot of hours unaccounted for, a lot of hours that were not busy dealing with people. So they were just talking to each other, and as you might do when you're two guys in college, you start talking about what great superpowers would be. But Chris and Paul, being Chris and Paul, two of the funniest, most creative people I've ever met, very quickly dismiss invisibility and flight and strength, and they're like, in our own personal life, what do we need? And one of them said, it would be great just to have access to a motel room like that we could just go to and would almost be outside of time because they're in college and they're like, sometimes I just need to sleep, but my roommates are coming in and out and people are making noise, and I just need my own place, because when you're in college, like a motel room is basically a proxy for I want an apartment.
Speaker 1: Rich I have an apartment, I still want instant access to a timeless hotel room, right were you.
Speaker 2: You know, it's like my wife Susan is always saying, I need one extra day a week, one secret day where I can get all my stuff done that no one else has.
Speaker 1: And then of course perfect, right, and they need to rework this calendar. It's had its day.
Speaker 2: Well, well, you know, years later JK. Rowling and the Harry Potter thing comes up with the Room of Requirement and it's like, yeah, that's great, But these guys came up with it first. It's it's the need for your own little oasis, but not anything fancy, no one. They didn't want to mansion. They just wanted a motel room. And then they started talking about the motel room and like, well, what are the rules, and it's like, well, you go in, you can get there from anywhere, and then you come out. And there was probably a time travel aspect to it, you know when they were talking about it, but they just continue talking about it, and just for their own self entertainment, they began building the mythology of the motel room and building the rules, and well, can you like put all your stuff there? And it's like, well, no, anything you put there, once you leave, it's gone. And when you come in it's like a real motel room. It's like we all have the feeling of walking into a motel room and it's been fixed up right, perfect motel room, right. I mean it's like, oh, the bed got made, you know, all the stuff got put away. The hotel room yet magic. It's the magic of roadside hospitality. It's the magic of hotels, which which are magic?
Speaker 1: I think to who we are right, particularly that that snapshot of American history nineteen sixty one roadside motel. Well, isn't that heaven? And it's perfect every day every time you turn around that room that's perfect.
Speaker 2: Some version of it is just down the road, and it won't be exactly like the last one, but it'll have a drinking glass, and it'll have a piece of paper around the toilet seat, and it'll have a pen and a little pad, and they'll be branded with the motel's name. That was when I was a kid. Maybe you had this too, And I would go on vacations with my parents. There was the most exciting thing in the world to walk into the motel room for the first time.
Speaker 1: I spent about a decade as an airbrush artist with my wife on the road, and it was magic every single time. Like I never tired of opening a door to a new hotel room and it being perfect no matter where we were, and coming back after a long day and suddenly everything has resorted to how we wanted it to be, how we expected it to be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and it's clean. You didn't have to clean it.
Speaker 1: I left shit on the floor. Where'd it go? I don't know, I don't care, you know.
Speaker 2: And you can collect stuff. My brother and I would collect things, or my parents would take us to Las Vegas and we would have all these door signs that were branded from the Flamingo or the Caesar's Palace, the little soaps, the ash trays that you could just take. It was friggin' magic. So everything about this show plugs into that era of Americana where where your imagination was fed by what are the different and individual motels that you've never heard of. They're not all comfort Ins, they're not all Motel six. They're not all radisons. They're you know, they're crazy. They're just the you know, the Lumberjack, the Lumberjack, the crazy Lantern, the you know, sleep away whatever. I mean, just there's a there were a million of them. Anyway, that was part of our childhood. That and that, and these guys are younger than me, but it was still part of their their cultural imagination. So so they talked about this and then and then I guess it kind of went away. And then years later Chris and Laura met and became writing partners, and and then and again I don't I'm a little fuzzy on all the details in my recall right now, but but Chris brought up this thing that he and Paul talked about, and then they all sort of got together and decided, well, let's just write this and see what happens. And they did, and they got into sci Fi Channel and they got it to the network first, and the network liked it, and so they it got laid off on Lionsgate to produce as the studio. Ah okay, and sci Fi at that time did these yearly December little mini series like three night events, and they had done the Triangle, which was all about the Bermuda Triangle.
Speaker 1: I remember that they've done.
Speaker 2: A few of them then, and then they had decided this was going to be the mini series for December two thousand and six. Now we're in March of two thousand and six, so it's not an impossible schedule, but it's you know, we're getting We're not sitting around reconceiving it. We're in pre production now.
Speaker 1: Now at this point, they're expecting eight hours. They're expecting eight hours four movies. They want you to make four movies by December. It's March right now.
Speaker 2: Typically I think they had done three night events, but they're like, yeah, I mean, we're sci fi, we can do Sure, let's do it. So we pitch them four nights. We've got scripts for the first two nights and then we're gonna outline and generate the scripts for the rest and great. So every day Paul and Chris and Laura and I meet at that big building just outside of Universal Studios. So if you're going into Universal Studios off Lancasham and you're driving up that big sort of that big street that goes up right, So if you know that just when you begin that drive upward underneath the big archway that says Universal Studios. There's this giant building on your right, a high rise. We're in that building, twenty stories up, and we're in a conference room with these giant windows looking north up the freeway and up Ventura and across the valley, and we're working on the Lost Room. Is the greatest, It was the greatest. It's march. I'm literally every day I'm looking down because in La if you're not familiar, in the springtime there is the there's these things called jacaranda trees, and jacarata trees are purple, these crazy lavender purple trees that that they they sort of bloom in the spring for about a month and then they die out, but they're gorgeous. And so every day I'm looking out that window as we're working, and I'm counting the jacaranda trees because they're just sort of randomly placed, you know, everywhere, and it's like, oh, there's one, Hey, there's one over there, Hey there's another one over there. So I'm counting the jacaranda trees and we're doing the Lost Room. But we got to get into casting now. So the casting process begins with a woman named Mary Joe Slater. Mary Joe Slater is Christian Slater's mom.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, she is a spectacular She's a legend in the casting world.
Speaker 2: Absolute legend.
Speaker 1: Her son does it does not outshine her in anyway.
Speaker 2: Well, that's the fun part when when you are privileged to work in the industry, you get to meet people who are in these various areas that maybe you haven't thought about a lot, but suddenly you're working side by side with someone who is an expert at what they do, and every day you're blown out of your socks by what they're providing you with. Because we would and this was you know, again, whether you've seen it if you haven't, Big cast a lot of character roles and and so. And she's got lists of actors and some of them we know and some of them we don't. But she brings these people in and we're watching these these auditions and we're like, oh my god, Roger Bart, oh my god.
Speaker 1: I know. I wanted to bring him up in specifically because I love Roger part And here's the thing, everybody out there, if you don't know his face, you know his voice. He's the singing voice for Hercules in the Walt Disney cartoo hah. Don't understand why he's not the voice completely, like I understand sometimes where they have a singer who can't actor or an actor who can't sing, but he can do both.
Speaker 2: Roger Bart is multi talented. So he he was in the movie The Producers. He's the kind of if you see his face, you'll go, oh, I've seen that guy. Of course, he was in the Lost Room and that's where I met him. And then years later when I was on Grim, he was in an episode of Grim and we were we had written a script and I'm like, oh, you know, who would be great for this? And we were having conversations. I don't know if I brought it up, or maybe Jim Kalf brought it up, but I was like, how about Roger Bart? And Jim Kalf, one of the executive producers, knew Roger also, and I'm like, oh, I know Roger. I did a mini series with him a few years back, the Lost Room, and I was like, well, let's bring him in. We brought him in and he was great. I mean, we just sort of like gave him the role and it was so fun to see him again. And then he's done other things in the intervening years, and every once in a while he'll say, Hey, I'm going to play at the Passing in the Playhouse. You know, that's just down the street from you. Come on down and see me and we'll hang out. So so anyway, Roger Bart lovely guy, great actor, Dennis Christopher, star of I mean, come on, Breaking Away one of the greatest movies of all time.
Speaker 1: Fade to Black, one of the greatest movies of all time.
Speaker 2: Was still friends with Dennis Christopher. We still have dinner with him.
Speaker 1: Tell Handel, it's a treasure and should be treated as such.
Speaker 2: I will, and he will agree with you one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: And he's right to do it.
Speaker 2: So I'll give you a Dennis Christopher memory.
Speaker 1: Good.
Speaker 2: It's his first night, okay, and early in the filming we're doing the Pawnshop, which is the opening of the movie. So this was all, you know, very very early, you know, first week of filming, and he arrives on set. But it's one of those weird days where it's what we call a split where we work from noon to six and then we wait for it to get dark, and then we do the next six hours of the filming day. So we need to do day at the beginning, and then some night stuff at the end. And the night stuff was the pawn shop, which opens the movie. So he gets there. Of course he's there, you know, bright and early in the morning. He shows up in the afternoon. He's not needed until the evening. So I get a message Dennis Christopher's here and he'd like to talk to you. And it's right around lunchtime, which is again six hours in and then you've got six hours later. So I go to meet with him. But I'm like, we're not going to you know, we don't need him for hours. So I go and meet him, and we have our dinner together, and I'm like, when it makes sense he might have a few questions. He had a few questions. I answered them. Then we chatted and I love Dennis Christopher and I want you to understand this is the story is told with love. He then proceeded to talk to me for three hours and we're filming. I mean, lunch is long over. Yeah, but while this is going on, I'm like, oh, this is part of his process. This is his first day. He doesn't know anyone. He's in the location, he doesn't know. It's a big role, big role. And as we're talking, I'm like, oh, and this is my job as executive producer. My most important job right now is to be is to meet him in this emotional space that he's in, which you know, is energetic. Is it nerves? I don't know, it's it's something, but it But it comes very clear to me I'm not needed on the set. I needed to engage with this guy because he's ramping up. He's ramping up to his first minute in front of the cameras on this show. So I'm like, I'm you know, everything he needs. Yeah, I call Chris and Laura and I'm like, I'm with Dennis. Let me know if there's a problem. Until then, I'm with Dennis. And so we hung out and we had the greatest evening. He told me the story of his life. It was I mean, I was I benefited from it. I was like, this is the greatest thing. And by the time that three hours was over, we were bonded as friends. He was comfortable. Any residual energy he had was burned off. He was in his zone. And then suddenly it's like, mister Christopher, you're needed on set. He walks on set and then just nails it and sailed through the rest of the mini series and it was beautiful.
Speaker 1: And a spectacular job. He did good thing. You've talked to him. I never stopped, you know. I just want to mention another actor who showed up in this. Now, he had been in dramatic films before, but I had never really seen him put into dramatic performance, and that's Kevin Pollack in two thousand and six when this comes out. His performance here, I had never seen the level of menace, and there's such there's a real nobility deep down under the menace too, like a real pure human being without any joking. I'd never seen Kevin Pollack do a performance where there wasn't a joke, just w And it's not like he's not funny. In the situations he's in aren't funny. But this isn't a comic performance from him at all, and it sings there there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, there's there's five other roles, Peter Jacobsen as Wally, there's other roles that are more centered in comedy. His is not His is centered in drama at bordering on tragedy. And when his name came up again. It's the genius of Mary Joe Slater. We're all sort of like Kevin Pollack really, because he's a comedian. He's super funny. That's how we know him. Then he read for the role and were like, no, this is good, this, this could be perfect. So we cast him and he was His performance is lovely. I will tell you that. For me, it was heartbreaking in a way because I was a fan. I am a fan, and so I was really looking forward because I know when you're doing stuff, you're on set and you're filming for three percent of the time and the other ninety seven percent of the time you're standing around and you're talking and sharing stories and joking. I'm like, this is gonna be great. I'm gonna hang out with Kevin Pollack. I'm gonna hear everything. Kevin Pollack had no interest in talking to me at all. He was the opposite of Dennis Christopher. He was like Hi. I was like, oh, hey, mister Pollack, So how you doing good? Okay, you're the other end of the spectrum. You are not here to chat. You are here to focus, concentrate, get it done. I back away and go mister Pollack, let me know if you need anything, And that may have been the last thing I ever said to him in the course of three months. Yes, and he did his thing. That's how he works.
Speaker 1: Rich You're doing the executive producing job here, man, because everyone is delivering, Like who cares what they were thinking during the day. What ended up on the fucking screen is superlative.
Speaker 2: Well, I know. And it's so funny watching this and remembering filming. And you know, when you watch something where you were there, you remember every day. You're like, oh no, that day was so hot, that day was so cold, that day was so long. I was in a terrible mood that day. That day was fun. Every time I look at Peter Krausser, I'm like, I love that guy. Peter Krause a greatest guy in the world. He should be the star of every TV show. Talented, funny, warm, human, humane, uncomplicated, no ego, comes in, does his job, does it well, makes everything easy for everyone, A great number one. Mostly what I remember of him is just joking around and being in that hospital. Okay, quick story, the hospital where he meets Wally. That was all night shoots, so we were blasting light in those windows, I mean on giant cranes, because it was a real location in Santa Fe. It was a real hospital, and it was really haunted, like no joke, legitimately haunted. It's written up like I had guide books, you know, Haunted New Mexico that talk about this hospital. I know, it's hard to believe, right the shirt Adam's paranormal bookshelf, but there it was. And we as soon as we get there, I'm telling everyone, I'm like, you know this place is haunted, right, And they're like, oh, I know. Every the locals were telling us, they're like, are you really filming in there at night? You sure you want to do that? So upstairs we're joking around, Peter's joking around, we're all having a good time. But then hours later, middle of the night, we hear, oh, it's no joke. The grips, the electric grips. They had to go into the basement to tie in. In other words, there's always a central point of power on every set where you're drawing all your power for lights and cameras, that everything you're doing. And so they're these enormous generators and you know, and there are electricians who are professional electricians that are on your grew at all times to make sure this stuff is safe and that it works, because without electricity, you're screwed. So it's like, I don't deal with it a lot. It's just a thing that always happens. These are the guys hauling cable at five am.
Speaker 1: Okay, not the typically jumpy type.
Speaker 2: No, these are freaking tough guys. Now, they had to go down and they've done a million places, and they go down into the basement and then we start hearing, oh, they're never going down there. I'm like, what it's like. They went down there, they tied in, but a couple of them aren't going back down there because they heard children laughing. And I'm like, you're kidding, You're fucking with me because I just.
Speaker 1: Sort of assumed area.
Speaker 2: Well, I assumed that it had gone through Peter to a PA to a second Ad to the Great and it's all going to come back to me, you know, the idiot. It's like, oh my god, no, yeah, we told them it's really happening. That was not the case, and there were people who experienced stuff and that place was active. Now I will tell you it's no longer a hospital. It has been It has been totally remodeled into a hotel, wonderful. It's the Drury In and it's right off the plaza in Santa Fe, New Mexico. So I'm just waiting to hear if more people have.
Speaker 1: Had experiences, I'm totally going to stay there. Speaking of amazing casting, Julianna Marguli's right, everywhere you turn, this cast is just like, yeah, I'm also fucking fantastic.
Speaker 2: Well, we couldn't believe the people we were getting, and Marry Joe kept saying, you're undervaluing your own work. Actors don't care about anything but the material. They don't care about the director you think they do. They don't. They don't care about where it's being filmed. They don't even care how much they're getting paid. They care about the material, and if they respond to the material, they will they want to do it, and they'll do it. And we kept getting amazing person after an amazing person, top choice after top choice after top choice, and she's like, it's because of the script. They love it, and we're like, okay, okay, we'll believe it. That's great, And then on a certain level we're like, we would go back into our conference room and go, you know what, it makes sense because these are not roles that anyone gets offered. These are not it's not the normal Oh, I'm the hero cop, I'm the you know beautiful It's like these are weird, quirky but well written, realistic characters. Like you're not going to get to play this stuff every week. This is once, maybe twice in a lifetime kind of material. And we had people begging. I had agents calling me. This never happened, certainly, not on never on anything I've written that we're begging. It's like, please please, my client loves this. I just want you to know. And the number of people we had to say, hey, you know, obviously I'm sorry, the role's been cast or we're going with someone else. So that was really wonderful, and that was a sheer gift of the scripts.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm just gonna wax rapsodic about that concept in the script and like it only makes sense that everyone would want to be involved with it, like it's okay. The fact that it's in Gallup, New Mexico in nineteen sixty one automatically sort of connotates nuclear possibilities or just any number of government through for all going on at that time. Like, because here's the thing, everybody, An event took place in that room in nineteen sixty one that fractured time space, I guess, making this room some sort of central nexus, some link between our world and some others, and all of these objects are now sort of magically possessed because of it. And here's the thing. So clearly the series was just going to continue along. We were never going to find out what that event was, right, No, last, Now here's the thing, Rich, I'm sure our listeners would like to know. When people sit down to write a mystery series, did you guys know where you were going?
Speaker 2: Well? I didn't know where they were going because I was not there. They know, I don't know that they did. I think their rule was were you know. There's a very simple central set of motivational stakes for our hero, which is his daughter went into the room and then the door got closed, and when he reopened it, she was gone. So she is now lost somewhere. So he has no choice but to delve into the mythology of the room and to try to learn everything he can about the room. And he's learning from all of these sort of untrustworthy, you know, kind of street level characters who know a little bit or there's a rumor about this or that, and they're all in different groups, and they're all against each other, and they all want something, and he's got a sort of by dealing with them in a very smart and canny and sort of a heroic way. He's got to try to piece together who's telling the truth, who's lying, and who ultimately has the answer that will allow him to get his daughter back. Wants his daughter's back. He doesn't care about the key, the motel room, the objects, anything. He just wants his daughter back. But to get her back, he has to go into this hidden world, this hidden economy of objects and meet all these weird people, all of whom want to kill him because he has the key. He's the motel man, so holding on to that. Now, there were moments I'm like, I'm so blown away. It's like there's I mean, has it. He doesn't even say it, because if you haven't seen it, I don't want to ruin anything. All I'm going to say is there are moments, and this is the greatest experience you can have as an audience. There are moments when something surprising happens, and then one second later you go, oh, of course, because that's the rule. And they told us. They just told us, Oh, that is so smart. They because Joe, the main character, he's learning how to play the game too. He's like, Oh, here's how the objects work, here's how they don't work. Here's what you do, here's what you don't do. Here's how you can manipulate people who are looking for this object or that object. And again, the interaction of audience and lead character as they're figuring this out. And the fun thing is it's like there's no sci fi. They're really like, there's no monsters, there's no costumes, there's no spaceships, there's no anything. It's just a hotel room. And I remember saying we were having some trouble with well, I can get into the trouble we had making this, and that's part of the story too. But I remember sitting down at a certain point with the studio and our line producer and saying, we have no spaceships, we have no aliens, we have no monsters, we have no Bermuda triangle. You know what we have. We have a motel room and we have a door and it opens up into various environments where it shouldn't. That's the only effect we have to carry off. And the room is just a built room, so that doesn't even count. The only magic is he uses the key to go into a public restroom in Pittsburgh and then one second later he closes the door and then opens it up inside a house in southern California, for instance. That's the only magic trick we have to pull off. Now, don't tell me we can't pull that off. Figure out how to pull it off. Now, what was difficult about making this? Okay, it takes place in Pittsburgh, right, it takes place because that's where they.
Speaker 1: Which it makes sense that you told me that they that they were, because once we started in Pittsburgh. We never get to see Pittsburgh unless it's a George Romero movie. Nobodys shooting in Pittsburgh these days, So anytime we get to see the city, I'm excited and and and now it makes sense.
Speaker 2: Okay, So you know Pittsburgh, So you're like, why am I not seeing Why are they not taking advantage of Pittsburgh. Well, the reason we're not taking advantage of Pittsburgh is because we didn't film in Pittsburgh. We filmed in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
Speaker 1: Perfect, perfect replacement for Pittsburgh.
Speaker 2: Exactly when you're in Albuquerque, if you don't really.
Speaker 1: Go where's Primanti Brothers. Every time I'm in Albuquerque.
Speaker 2: You're slapping your face, going, I feel like I'm in Pittsburgh. This should be Pittsburgh. I gotta remember it's Albuquerque. Why are we in Albuquerque. We're in Albuquerque because Lionsgate is greasing the palm of New Mexico government because they are going to build a studio in Albuquerque. And so this mini series was being handed to New Mexico as a Hey, we're Lionsgate, look at us. We're gonna film in New Mexico. This is before Breaking Bad, this before anything was in New Mexico. We're serious about making an investment in New Mexico. All this is decided before I come on. So now I sit down with the people at the studio and I'm like, why are we doing this in Albuquerque? It takes place in Pittsburgh. And I've been to New Mexico a bunch and unless I'm I'm mistaken, there really is not a good way to even sort of fake it, and they're like, it doesn't matter. We're not. We're filming in Albuquerque. That's that's a given. So we'll have to figure it out. We'll have to shoot carefully and maybe put in some backgrounds. We'll figure it out. I'm like, okay, the one. But I went back upstairs to Chris and Paul and Laura and said, I have an idea and it might be the only way we can do this financially. The motel that you guys have on a highway in the hills of Pennsylvania. I pitched something, let's put it in New Mexico because that's where we're filming. It's so much better. And I'm like, let's make it. I mean, you know, the Southwest has a Root sixty six. There's a tradition of these kitchy motels. It doesn't change the story at all, it doesn't change a single scene. It just changes set deck and some production design. So let's do that, and let's have the bus tickets send them to Gallop, New Mexico, so that we because we'll be right there and not every single, single single scene will be an insurmountable hill. And let me tell you something about producing stuff. Nothing is more frustrating and infuriating than spending money to do something that is not impressive. So when you're in Albuquerque and you're spending time and money and blood, sweat and tears to convince somebody that they're looking at a street in Pittsburgh, You're like, this is not helping us. This is just we're spending money on something that's not going to impress anyone. It is a production burden that does not result in creative joy. We're just stuck. And so now we're all this money that we could be spending on a lot of other stuff. We're spending on plate replaced right, and and oh, we're gonna get our our art director to reskin a building to make it look more like a deli or something in Pittsburgh than a you know, a boba coffee shop that got built in nineteen two on a street corner and Albuquerque. It's like, you know, this is not where we should be spending our money, but we don't have a choice because guess what we were told we're filming an Albuquerque, So I guess we're filming an Albuquerque. And every problem that came along with that was now our problem and came out of our budget and came and reduced all the cool stuff that we wanted to do because like, well, we can't because we have to spend that money convincing you that a street corner is actually in Pittsburgh. So that was very frustrating.
Speaker 1: Richard, Does it make you feel better than I believe you shot in Pittsburgh?
Speaker 2: Yes, makes me feel way better.
Speaker 1: I mean, obviously there was an establishing shot, but when you guys were on the street there, I thought you were on the East Coast. The fact that you just said you filmed in entirely in New Mexico staggered me a little bit.
Speaker 2: So yeah, literally we were. We never filmed anywhere. We were in Albuquerque, Santa Fe.
Speaker 1: But it sucks that they made you do it. But you guys did it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we did it. Yeah, and it I mean, oh my god, Kreutzfeldt's mansion. It would have saved us so much money. And we searched, We searched everywhere in New Mexico for a house whose interior looked like it could conceivably be New England, East Coast, Pittsburgh, Old Pennsylvania. Something we went everywhere, we found nothing, and literally we were getting to a point. Craig Baxley, the director of the first two hours, in the final two hours, and our producer Paul Kurta. I remember just sitting in a diner on a location scout, and I was just spiraling because I'm like, I can't go back to LA until Chris and Paul and Laura that we were gonna have to make another compromise for this show. It's I can't do it. There's I don't know what we're gonna do. And we're sitting at there. There's this big table and there's ten of us and all the people who are on a and I'm sitting at one end of the table and Craig Baxley's at the other, and I'm like, we're never gonna get it. We're just never going to get it. And I see Craig Baxley writing something down and then he tears off a part of his paper place Matt, and he folds it up and he hands it and I see the note being passed all the way down to the table, all the way down to me, and I open up the little piece of paper and it says, don't worry. I promise you we're gonna get this, but he didn't say how. Three days later, there's a big meeting, and in that meeting, Craig Baxley's like, we got to build it. Sorry, I know it's not on anyone's budget, but it's important. There's a giant sequence.
Speaker 1: Mass, one of those massive innovations I was talking about at the beginning, that takes place inside that mansion.
Speaker 2: You gotta have it, huge sequence that takes place inside the mansion. He's like, we were crazy to even look for a location. We couldn't even do it. If we found the perfect log, if we were in Pittsburgh, we couldn't do it. We were always kidding ourselves. If we build it, yes it's expensive, but it'll save us so much time in travel, in prep. Because he's still got a prep location. You know, you gotta you gotta decorate it, you gotta art direct it, you gotta op it, you got to do everything. He's like, well, we're never gonna find it in our world. We will never find it. Let us build it. Let us build it to exactly our specifications, and I promise you we'll shoot it out in two days. And they listen to that logic, and I'm like, oh, that is right, that is correct. We got to build it. It's like, sorry, guys, you're the studio. You're the ones who stuck us in Albuquerque fucking build us our set, and they had to. The boy today hate it, and you know, I will tell you the whole summer of two thousand and six, I was just like, God, Lionsgate is the worst. They're the cheapest, most miserly studio in the world. And I was certain of it until I worked with every other studio and then I realized, Oh no.
Speaker 1: That's just that's everybody. Baby, that's it.
Speaker 2: That's the job.
Speaker 1: Gets your hand my pocket.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, so yeah, so Albuquerque Orama, that's what it was.
Speaker 1: Rich, What was the event? Are you chewing? He's chewing everybody. He's going to tell me what the event is that was driving the series.
Speaker 2: I'm sure my dinner is the olives in my Martini glass. Okay, I don't know.
Speaker 1: What do you think it was? Which cabal were you were you signing with?
Speaker 2: Okay, I'll answer you. Uh here is my personal answer. I don't know what the event is, doesn't matter what the event is. Okay, that's that's just the you know, there was a storm. Okay, now this is the movie that about what a town that's been ravaged by a storm. That's it. We don't need to know, we don't need any more than that. What was interesting to me, what was interesting to Laura and Chris and Paul and what the show would have become about, was the people and these little hidden groups that are fighting for control of these objects and how far will they go? And that's it. And that's all this was. And you know, I told the writers, I said, you know, no matter what happens, this is yours. You will get credit for this, because I'd been through credit threats in my career and one of the first things I told them was, if you it literally, if the studio comes down and puts a gun to our heads and says, I don't care what you guys say, Richard is rewriting all of this, I said, I don't care if I rewrite every single word of this. I will never ask for credit. I am executive producer. You are the writers, and that'll never change. So don't even harbor that as a fear in the back of your mind. Six months it's never going to happen now. Add to that, while we were filming, I took a shot at writing a chunk of an episode that needed to get done, and completely shit the bed, I mean, was unable to match their tone, unable to match their voice, unable to match their events. And my work was correctly thrown out. And then they came in when they're you know, when they got a breath and were able to pick up and then write those scenes in their voice, in their way, which was a million times better. So that was the genius of them. What the event was. Who knows how people react to those things, That's what we cared about. I added one line, The one line I added to the entire six hours was Julianna Margally's saying to Joe to you know.
Speaker 1: Joe Miller, Detective Joe Miller.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're talking about the objects. She's explaining that they just collect them up from people and want to get rid of them. And she says, since the key came into your life, has your life gotten better or worse? And we cut to him and he doesn't even have to answer it. We've seen it. It's gotten worse. And that to me was telling the audience this is not about oh, we're all having fun here. This is wish fulfillment and we're gonna fly through the air. This is cursed objects. This is you think this is the monkey's pot. You think you know how to use it, You do not know how to use it. And and it was a way to, in a very succinct way, tell the audience what the theme of the show was. And it was already there and it just came out of conversations. But I'm like, let's have a character say it so that we're clear that this is not just avarice, that she's coming from a place of I don't love these objects. I actually have seen them ruin people's lives, and I think they should be banished from the face of the earth. And I'm like, to me, that's fascinating because the audience is programmed to think it's wish fulfillment, and it is because in your own mind, you're like, well, if I had that, I think I could come up with something to do with it. But the show does such a good job of going, no, no matter what you think you're gonna do with it, it ain't gonna work out the way you planned.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a wonderful sort of fetishization and condemnation of materialism because they're both valid. Like those objects on their own are so beautiful and so tied to the sort of like Americana Motel kind of idea of freedom and in America, and then they have these powers that are sometimes ridiculous and sometimes profound really should be in the hands of none of you, none.
Speaker 2: Of us exactly. Here's the thing.
Speaker 1: I love gadgetsvich I love little things that do nothing and do something.
Speaker 2: So totally, you know. And we were talking about the whole era of Americana and the romance of the Roadside Motel. So imagine if you're the prop master on the Lost Room. It was it was magic, and we're talking. You know. He sets up a giant room with just table after table after table. Here are cones, here are clocks, here are boxes. Here are glass eyes, which we'd never seen. We didn't know a glass eye was not a big marble we've had. A glass eye was like an egg shaped eye. And he was like, oh no, it's just this piece of glass. It's just like this this sort of shell, this outer shell that you just place on the dead eye that looks like a real eye, so a glass eye looks more like a guitar pick that's sort of rounded. And we're like, oh yeah, but they said, they said, you know what I love about this show. You know what the romance of the show is. It's about the stuff on your dad's desk. And I just about fell over. I'm like, my guy, have you nailed it? Because my dad had the little the pen box that opened up and had the little the little tray with the section for the little paper clips and the and the stamps and the little and I'm just like, that's when you're a kid my age and you were looking at your dad's desk and all those weird little chi and brass and golden figurines, and you're just what is dad all about? And I'm like, you're one hundred percent correct, And we knew, we knew we had a new member of the team.
Speaker 1: There's magic in those objects, totally.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And that's why, and that's why it's so easy to accept the conceit of objects that have weird, especially since the what they do is so weird and offbeat and somehow pointless. And then I love the notion of the dormant objects, you know, that case that Kreutzfeldt has with the toothbrush and the Holy Bible, and it's like, oh, those are dormant objects. Their power hasn't been discovered yet. So now it's a whole new level. You're like, oh right, sure, Like like the watch if you set an egg, if you just the watch just sits on your desk with the watch band and you've set an egg in the middle of it, it cooks the egg and they make a drugs. How did they discover that? I have no idea. But then later you realize, oh, the toothbrush, we still it's been decades. We still don't know what it does. It could do anything, it could do something wonderful, it could do nothing, but we don't know.
Speaker 1: Wow, it's yeah, it's so tantalizing, like everywhere you turn, like in this show. I mean, it's just how many hours rich, But it's so potent. It is so packed with ideas and good filmmaking and great writing and great performances. Like I do not understand why this didn't become a huge fucking deal. Please tell me why, because you were there, you watched them do it.
Speaker 2: I think it has to do with the fact that it took a minute to understand what the concept was, and so from the get go, people were a little unclear what they were getting, and I think that affected viewers in a particular way. The people. And it's the fucking you know, ninety percent of everything I've ever done that I've cared about are these things where it's like, well, I could describe it to you, but you should just watch it. Mofman prophecies. It's like, well, yes it's scary, No there's no monster. Yes it's good, No there's no fight. I don't know what to tell you. Just watch it. And then people watch it and they either like it or they don't. But the people who like it, the ones who get it get it. My show Miracles, people who get it get it. Same thing with the Gates, same thing with this. It's very hard to just go, oh, it's you know, you know, er meets twenty four or something. It's like, okay, whatever, It's like, no, you have to watch it. It's an actual creation. And this, more than anything, more than anything I've ever dealt with, is something that it's like, trust me, carve out some time this weekend, get six hours to yourself where you've got nothing else to do, and you will not be the same person. At the end of those six hours. You will have part of your brain will will open up, and forever you will never look at your own desk the same way ever again. Okay, so let me jump in here and explain the If the listener has been listening carefully, I said that it was an eight hour mini series, and yet we know there's only six hours. So what happened? Okay? What happened was the budget. There was a certain budget, and a budget depends on time, and it also depends on you know, what is what is to be filmed in those two hours, you know, to create those two hours, which of course takes two, three, four weeks. Okay. At a certain point I went to Chris and Laura and Paul and said, you know, we haven't really figured out the final two hours and the third two hours are a wonderful sort of concept, but it's a bit of a narrative detour. What if we just made it six hours and we compressed everything. I think in six hours it's much easier to make the money work. We could figure this out, and I think it would take a lot of pressure off the studio time wise, because we're we're up against a December date and we have post production and things to do, and another two hours, I mean that's weeks of post production. What if we just go to them and say, what if we could do our story in six hours three nights, the way you usually do, I think they'll go for it, and I think it could take a lot of pressure off us. We have a big meeting and literally, this is the weekend we're all showing up in New Mexico. This is we're way into it, and we still haven't figured out the budget, and they're hammering us. And we finally sat down with them and said, would it work if we just did the whole thing in six hours? And you know that's you know, one less director, a whole, one less production cycle. Just reduce everything by twenty five percent. And we talked it back and forth and they're like, okay, that can work. And so for a minute, the foot was off our throats in terms of how are we going to produce this? And so for a little bit of time we felt like this is doable. Of course, then it's never doable. Nothing is ever doable. And often when you're doing a television show that's got a season, maybe another season, you can sort of finagle things because you can say, well, we'll make up that money later, or we'll do a bottle episode in the end of the season. But this is more like a movie. It's like, okay, so now it's six hours, but it's got a beginning, a middle, and an end. So you can't really rob Peter to pay Paul. Everything needs money, and that last two hours needs a lot of money, because that's your big conclusion. So and these aren't traditional episodes. It's sort of a six hour story. So it within a few weeks we began to realize, oh, we're heading into all the same money problems we ever had, and every day there's a new money problem. And because the novelty of the show required that every hour introduce us to a new aspect of the mythology. So we're going to go to a new location with a new cast member, new sets. We're never repeating anything like TV depends on. Half of the scenes will be shot in the hospital where they all work, or in the police station. You know, if we ever need to, we can just move that scene. I know it's supposed to be in a restaurant, and he's going to propose at the fancy restaurant. Why doesn't he just propose in the break room at the police station that we own, and we've already paid for and decorated, and we've got all the camera angles worked out and we can shoot it in an hour rather than spending three quarters of a day in a restaurant that we have to pay for. We have, no, the only repeating set we have is the motel room. And so then they kept saying, well, can you put it in the motel room. We're like no, we kept put in the motel room.
Speaker 1: So it became they just get the Raiders. They can't they get the Lost Dark and scene three, yeah, just do they have to go to Egypt?
Speaker 2: And of course you're sitting here going you knew this when you bought it, but they never cop to that. Of course they knew it, but they're like, well, we don't care. That's going to be someone else's problem. Meet someone else. He's on the podcast right now. And then of course Chris and Paul and Laura keep looking at me like you're the executive producer, just tell them what to do, and I'm like, oh my god, you guys. I know that's what you think an executive producer is, because when you see Aaron Sorkin or David Kelly or Steven Botchko or Joss Whedon, that's what they are. But that's not what I am. I'm the guy who's getting punched from all directtionstions, and I'm trying to protect them as much as possible, although that was not possible at all times. They were dealing with production problems all the time. By the way, they were great, like smart creative, and they weren't kids. These weren't twenty year old people. They were full grown adults with thoughts and ideas who were finally getting a chance to do their dream project. And they weren't being idiots. And they were on set making really good points and really good suggestions and really smart ideas in the moment. So we had the benefit of their brains and the benefit of my brain. But I just got to tell you, man, there's this one night at the end of there was our last night of filming, the second two hour block, and Paul Kurda and I and and you know, the it's our final day, so you know, they bring in some champagne and you know, they bring in a cake and everyone sort of, you know, you do a little celebrate because you want to keep everyone's spirits up. It took a month to to the first two hours, a month due to the second two hours, and it was going to be another month in Albuquerque to do the third two hours. That's a long time, and people are away from their families, and it's not New York and it's not La it's Albuquerque, and your options for entertainment run out pretty quick. So Paul Kurda and I, and he's the line producer, so he's really physically responsible for figuring out the sets and the actors and the money and everything. So he and I were working closely the whole time. And we were sitting in his office and it's late and we're drinking champagne, going what did we do wrong? We're eating cake and drinking champagne and going fucked and everyone's mad at us did we fuck up? And I remember sitting there for over an hour as we went back and went, okay, now, wait a second. The first problem was this, and so we had to do that. The next problem was this, So we did that. We solve this by doing that we did this. The decision we made there was this. We we we retraced our steps. I've never done this before, by the way, I have never been so beaten down and so done.
Speaker 1: And we went through everything was the only option, the Champagne.
Speaker 2: Gake and we spent two hours and at the end of it, we looked at each other and we went, if we had it to do over again, we would do everything exactly the same. We made the best decisions. We don't. There's not there's no point in our journey where we're like, well, that's where we got off track with the minute we agreed to that, we fucked ourselves and blah blah blah, and we're like, no, we did it. We did everything right to the best of our professional abilities. And we're still the enemy of the studio and the network and are are being looked at as as criminals who are wasting their money. And I got to tell you, the production of it became rasily demoralizing because of the studio. Primarily because of the studio. Now, yeah, you have a budget, you're trying to work with a budget, but for this sort of thing to make it a successful execution of this creative idea. There were just certain things where it's like, no, we can't. We cannot just do this or just do that with your other shows. Maybe that works, it's not going to work here. And it got brutal, and it frankly never got better, and it ended people were burned out and not in a good mood by the end of that of filming. And it was too bad because we were all friends and we all enjoyed what we were doing. But at a certain point it was like, this is difficult for the sake of being difficult, and I'm sorry, but it's like, if you're talking fifty grand, no, I'm not gonna I'm not going to do back flips to save the production fifty grand when that fifty grand is going to be on the screen making the product better. And they just didn't want to hear it. And then I was like, did they hire me because they thought I would just do whatever they said? And I think they were very disappointed at a certain point when they were like these new writers and this fucking nobody executive producer and they're fighting back against us, and I'm like, yeah, that's what you hired me for. You didn't hire me to agree with you. You hired me to produce a good, a great mini series, a mini series that delivers the promise of the script. That's all you can ever do, and that's what we're trying to do. And everyone on that crew did backflips. The cast did backflips. Everyone actually doing the work did backflips. And the studio on the network, for the most part, stood. They're shaking their heads and planning on how they could make sure we never worked in this town again.
Speaker 1: Ricks the they read the script same as you. They saw the look do they just decide, well, fuck this bit of genius.
Speaker 2: No, And but it never matters. That stuff never matters. They've got It's like, well, this is how much we spent on this other thing, so that's how much you're getting. And anyway it was. It was not easy. However, the end result I have people who watch it go out of their way to say, this is the greatest thing I've ever seen. Where did this come from? Yeah, there you go. That's what I was looking at today. The DVD folks, if you're out there, have some fun this weekend. Enjoy what we suffered through. Watch the Lost Room.
Speaker 1: Hey, don't put it like that. Listen. I know you went through through some shit with this man, but this is a fucking master work. I love this show. This is a complete story, like you, and.
Speaker 2: It could go on and on and on.
Speaker 1: It could doesn't need to because, as you said that the event does not matter. It's the way these people are reacting to it and trying to control it and trying to use it and trying to avoid it and trying to help us become better through it somehow.
Speaker 2: And here's the thing, Chris and Paul and Laura wildly talented, clearly, And the show goes on, does okay, but doesn't you know, blow anyone away in terms of ratings, And now they're talking about making a series out of it, and then they decide not to. And then three months later they announced Warehouse thirteen and Chris and Laura are like, you've got to be kidding me. That's the Lost Room. It's just a wareful of objects, like a right serious.
Speaker 1: I remember when that series came out and thinking that and thinking like, I'm not going to be party to this.
Speaker 2: Well, and I know people who worked on that show. I know people who like that show. It's almost and the people who did that show know nothing about the Loss Room. It's not like they went, hey, we're going to do this thing. It was it was a studio going we want more of this, only we want it to be more genre. I actually don't like the fact that it takes place in our world and that it's fairly low key and more character driven. We wanted to be the warehouse at the end of Raiders of the Lost Arc and that's where a bunch of weird objects are. And by the way, that show came out great, people loved it, well done, entertained millions, and more power to them, more power to creative people making creative stuff. But when you look at it from our point of view with the network, we're like, really, so there you go.
Speaker 1: They kind of ended up making another Friday the thirteenth, the series with Warehouse thirteen. You guys weren't doing that. You guys had the same concept there, like got to get these objects back. There are a hundred of them. Oh my god, that's a syndication number. Almost. But this show had so much to say.
Speaker 2: And it is funny because I only knew a Friday the thirteenth belatedly when people were like, oh, yeah, that's that show that's sort of like Friday the three And I'm like, what are you talking? I saw the movie Friday the thirteenth. Was there a show? And they're like, oh yeah, and then they and they described it. I'm like, oh, okay, I get how you draw the connection?
Speaker 1: All right, Yeah, yeah, it's a good show. I love that show.
Speaker 2: Actually, yeah, I haven't seen it, but you know, hey.
Speaker 1: I loved it when I was a kid. I mean, you watch it now. There there are there are certain good episodes, but it's an anthology show, so basically.
Speaker 2: Right, and it's a good it's a good way to do an anthology show. But but in any event, we we we got the show made I see Laura all the time, talk to her lovely family. Chris, I see him. I had lunch with him a couple of months ago. He's working as a director now, has a has a movie that that is on the brink of getting distribution, so hopefully that's happening the next month or so. And and they all.
Speaker 1: Of them that they are appreciated and deserve more than they got. And I'm looking forward to everything they're going to do. Honestly, like this this space is fucking crazily good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, proud.
Speaker 1: I would wake up proud of myself every fucking day that I had anything to do with this series. You should too, Richard.
Speaker 2: Well, I look at it and I remember the scenes, and I'm like, oh, yes, I remember this, And what I tend to remember are the you're reading the script the first time and just going, oh right, this is the scene where they do that, and where this pays off, and this pays off and this pays off. But when you look, I mean listen, I will never get tired of Kevin Pollack's performance. I will never get tired of Julietta Margha Lees's presence and just the humanity she brings to every scene she's in. And we did not hang out. I mean I chatted with her and she was great. The cast was great. We didn't have a problem with anyone. They showed up. They were happy to do it, happy to work. I made friends. I made the first ad Jim Swartz were I'm friends with his entire family. His daughter was our assistant and now she's grown up, gotten married, child, had a career. I mean, it was all eighteen years ago and I'm still friends with Jerem I see Jerem Weekly. So a lot of great things, and people who've worked in television a long time or in movies, they all have that same story. I made that friend during that shoot. I made that friend during that shoot, And I made a lot of friends during a lost room. And it came up fast, and it was. I read the script in March, it was on the air in December. It was and boom it happened, and then it was gone. And yet every time someone brings it up, they have a great memory. And when I watched it this afternoon, I'm only halfway through and I'm going to go finish it. It's beautiful.
Speaker 1: I watched the entire series yesterday. As soon as we're done here, I'm going back again. It's that good and I'm going to carriage everyone out there. You can find it. It's on the Roku channel for free right now. If you're good, check it out. Go check it out there. I'm sure sci Fi has some fucking version of it. You can get it on physics media, get it on physical media. Don't trust these streamers. It's all gonna go away eventually. I have my copy. When I found out we were going to be talking Rach I was so excited I was able to dust these DVDs off.
Speaker 2: Isn't a nice to have the DVDs?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, it's so wonderful. Yes, play all and I'll just sit back and I'm not going to worry about my television requesting that I requesting whether or not I'm awake.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it is funny. I mean watching it, I'm like, Wow, this thing really was complex because you'll be watching, You'll be following this storyline. Then they'll cut to another character and you're like, oh, right, that Dennis Christopher is in this what's he doing? Oh, he's following. It really is a mini series. It's like, oh right, there's four or five six different storylines that all connect up to the main one. They're all fun, they all have a great cast, and you're just like, how is this all gonna come together?
Speaker 1: So yeah, and it all invites flights of fancy every single character, every potential plot line. There is so much potential. Yeah, there still is. I know so much for joining us here at midnight viewing it lost. We're gonna last room. We're gonna have to have you back again because guess what. I love the Gates too. Man, excellent America. What a great comment on where we were right then.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Gates Gates is a Coolates is a cool show for sure. Yeah. I'll come back anytime. Man, I love talking to you.
Speaker 1: Oh and if people want to hear rich Richard Haddam's Paranormal Bookshelf, where that's on every Podcascher, just look for it there correct.
Speaker 2: Anywhere you want to hear it. Apple Podcasts, Spotify, good pods. Check it out. We're into second season, so check out Richard Haddam's Paranormal Bookshelf. I think you'll enjoy it.
Speaker 1: I you definitely will. I know I do. Thank you everyone for joining us once again here on mid night viewing. Once again, try to enjoy the daylights.
Speaker 2: Sss sss