Speaker 1: You're traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound, but of mind, a journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. That's the sign post up ahead your next step.
Speaker 2: The Twilight's on.
Speaker 3: Quite why May eleventh is known as Twilight Zone Day. Nobody seems to know. Is it a tribute to Rod Sailing's military regiment, the five eleventh maybe, or is it purposely kept a mystery just to fit with the spirits of the show. Will likely never know the answer, but does it really matter. If there's an excuse to celebrate our favorite series and its creator, then I'm all for it. But as we hit mid twenty twenty six, fans of The Twilight Zone actually have quite a bit to be thankful for. We have the IDW comic series, which is keeping the flame burning, or at least the conversation going. We have the Roddy McDowell biography, an actor's story, which I discussed last episode with its author Samuel Garza Bernstein. But there's also something that we haven't touched on yet, the upcoming Rod Sailing biography by Rolling Stones Alan Sepinwall. It's titled Sailing a Journey into the Twilight Zone with TV's first visionary. It's available for pre order now, and you'll want to watch this space because that conversation with Alan is coming to the show very soon. We also have the tenth anniversary of Sailing Fest in Binghamton, New York this August, and I'll be sharing details on what I'll be doing there very soon. But one of the guests this year is director Jonah Thulis, who'll be discussing his new documentary Sailing, which just premiered ATXSW the Film and Television Festival back in March. Now, I couldn't make it ToxS W myself, but thankfully our man in Buddha, Texas was there to share the event with us. Now, I love it when we can do this. It reminds me of when our friend Gus Halwada reported from the Night Gallery event in Vegas, or when Brandon Shaye Mattala interviewed Mark Zickary at a convention. Because this is a community, So if you have a sailing related event happening near you, then please send it my way and I'll play it on the show. So to celebrate Twilight Zone Day twenty twenty six and the premiere of Sailing Take It Away. Harold Clark.
Speaker 1: That time travel then got tremendous reaction, and because of its reaction, the network, the CBS Network, who I had approached over the past three years to try to get something in the science fiction genre on, took another second look at it, and as a result, I got Twilight Zonin.
Speaker 4: Harold Clark reporting live from downtown Austin, Texas, right off of Congress Street and downtown. I am currently standing outside the State Theater, which is right next to the Paramount Theater, and we are waiting to get in to see the world premiere of the documentary Serling. I was able to get a ticket because of my good friend Ken Ken Cornine, who's with me. He's volunteering for south By Southwest and by volunteering, you know, you get access into some various things that you want to get into, and you can bring a companion, and he was nice enough to make me his companion for the day. So so ooh those birds get ready for Sirlin so so yeah, So we're just waiting for the doors to open to let us in.
Speaker 5: I don't think we'll have a problem getting in, but we will see.
Speaker 4: So so Ken, you describe of yourself as a casual fan or more more than casual.
Speaker 6: Well, like I said, I'm definitely not on your caliber fanship, but definitely I grew up with with the Twilight Zone. My mom always was putting Twilight Zone on for us, and I remember when I was a kid, I used to set the VCR for the late night airings of twilights up Twilight Zone episodes. So I had at some point I had like dozens of VHS tapes of the episodes. I'm familiar with a lot of the episodes. I can't say that I know all the names of certain episodes, but like, once I start seeing you know a portion of it, I'm you know, it definitely rings a bell. And I can remember, you know, watching a lot of those episodes as a kid.
Speaker 2: Definitely.
Speaker 4: Well, there are there are uber fans on the Twilight Zone podcast that or just like you the remember episode titles love you Emmy.
Speaker 2: But no, that's fine.
Speaker 5: So so.
Speaker 2: What uh, in.
Speaker 5: General, what do you what do you know.
Speaker 4: About shirling like outside of Twilight Zone or or or anything like that, or is it just your knowledge of it limited to Twilight Zone and that gallery.
Speaker 2: Maybe you know things like that.
Speaker 6: Well, I'm actually looking forward to the to the documentary documentary to to you know, get more a lot more insight into who he was and his his life. My wife Jennifer actually features him when she was teaching in high school.
Speaker 2: TV production teatured you.
Speaker 6: Know, well, highlight on Rod Serling and the Twilight Zone and what is the episode the Monsters on me? Yeah, being in her her teaching in my school. Definitely, so she's she actually probably knows more than I do, even though she's you know, maybe not the fan that we.
Speaker 5: Are going right here, you know.
Speaker 6: Definitely, I'm looking forward to to.
Speaker 5: Hearing a lot about this film today.
Speaker 4: So I went to surling Fest twenty twenty four and the shirt that I weren't and one of the neat things that they had there was they had a segment of sirling Fest and it was Rod Serling in his own words.
Speaker 5: And Andrea went with me, my wife Andrea, and.
Speaker 4: She she's a very casual, you know, Twilight Zone fan, and so for her that was very enlightening because this was a lot of the interviews and just you know, talks that he had colleges and other things like that, and just it covered the gam gambit of of what he thought about of life and humanity.
Speaker 5: And and and and and.
Speaker 4: Television producing and writing and all of that stuff. So so I imagine they'll reuse some of that footage, least a lot of that footage, but I hear that they will. That they were able to uncover some some home video stuff that's probably snipper been seen before from from Ant Serling and so so yeah.
Speaker 5: So I'm I'm I'm super curious to see how this says.
Speaker 2: It's ninety eight.
Speaker 4: Minutes, so that's a that's a good long time to to really dive in, you know, to the life of Serlin.
Speaker 5: And again, who knows. Once this comes out, I.
Speaker 4: Hope that that more people will it'll peauk their interest and and they'll want to go and and and and learn a little bit more about Serlin.
Speaker 5: So we will. We will see what happens.
Speaker 4: So let's uh, they're letting out I guess the whatever the other film that was the previous film, So hopefully we will be going in soon.
Speaker 1: What you're about to see, gentlemen, is a series called The Twilight's On. We think it's a rather special kind of series. This is a series for the storyteller, because it's I thinking that an audience will always sit still and listen and watch a well told story. Now that I've am modestly gone on record predicting the high quality of this series, let me very briefly show you what we mean by a special kind of series.
Speaker 2: Here you go.
Speaker 5: So I am now outside.
Speaker 4: We're about ten minutes before we get to go in and see Sirlin. I have come across a couple of Serlin fans that actually found out have have lived, you know, next door to me in southern California, so we're already bonded.
Speaker 5: Sileime.
Speaker 7: Introduce you too, Evelyn Machen and alys Alice Army.
Speaker 5: And you're here to watch Serlin. And I hear that you're big fans. Yes, So what do you.
Speaker 4: Remember about tarilotte'sh Serlin and all that stuff? What were your earliest memories.
Speaker 8: Being very scared and I heard his voice and when the show started, but yet I stayed to watch and see. We would get in the living room with our pillows and the show would start, and you know, and back then it was like amazing. That was the technology, and it was really scary a lot of it stuck with me.
Speaker 4: Nice and you're and you're about forty five years old, so and how about you, what's your memories?
Speaker 7: Always when I was a kid, my mom and my stepdad had started playing it during New Year's because there were the New Year's Eve marathons. So I was very big into TV and film, still am, but I just remember watching those up until midnight and then you know, celebrating New Year's but it would be every single episode, like every single episode straight, and I was just sat down for all of it. So yeah, I think that my earliest memories is just like celebrating the New Year with the Twilight.
Speaker 4: Favorite episodes for you, oh so many, oh so many episodes.
Speaker 7: Let's see, Well, there's the classic where it's the kid that everyone is scared of it. Yeah, it's a good.
Speaker 5: Life a thing. Yeah it's cold here in Austin.
Speaker 7: Yeah, what a class Like. It was so well done and it was so scary, but it was so simple and it didn't have to use like Gore, It didn't have to use anything other than just like the the context of like, Okay, something's going on with Timmy. That's all you need to know, and then everyone is scared of him. You don't need to know what it can do. You don't really need to know anything other than just like this child is. He's very powerful.
Speaker 5: It's very vowerful.
Speaker 7: But yeah, that's a that's a great episode, well for you.
Speaker 8: So it's the one where the lady is driving, Yeah, and she gets run off the road or she she has a flat and then she's dead, but then she keeps driving.
Speaker 7: Is that is that?
Speaker 4: I think that's is that you drive meeting.
Speaker 5: A couple of driving?
Speaker 8: Yes, anyways, and so she's driving and she calls her mom and and the lady's like, don't go.
Speaker 5: On my way right right right, and and the mom's.
Speaker 8: Like, you know, the mom's friend is like, how dare you? And her daughter just died in a car crash? And uh, that scared me because sometimes I'm driving and I wonder if I did you wait a minute, what if I died?
Speaker 7: And I think that's still driving?
Speaker 5: So what what? What do you anticipate?
Speaker 4: What are you expecting about to get from this documentary? I mean, what are you looking forward to.
Speaker 8: Or or just I think I'd like to learn more about him, yeah, because you know, I think he was a pioneer. Yep, he was a pioneer of his time. And it's always interesting to see what drove them and what their thoughts were because Twilight Zone changed everybody's life, yep.
Speaker 5: Well, and people were trying to figure out what TV was about at all. You know, that was a brand new medium, so what could you do with it?
Speaker 4: And I'm sure we'll hear about his fights with the sponsors and and and.
Speaker 5: And you know, the the whatever in the in the studio and what you could and couldn't do and emit till and all of that stuff, you know. And yeah, so so I was.
Speaker 1: Able to go off.
Speaker 4: I was able to go to sling Fest a couple of years ago for the for the Statue in Veiling, which was really nice and they had a whole about a forty five minute segment of just Rod Sterling in his own words, and there was a lot of stuff that I had never heard about and just again, so I'm really looking forward to that, just seeing the human side of it, yea. And who knows, maybe maybe they will show some footage from the Statue in Veiling because you know, whole family was there and there was probably three four hundred people there.
Speaker 5: Oh so yeah, so we'll see looking forward.
Speaker 4: I think they're getting ready to let us in, So thank you for r.
Speaker 5: Wil podcast.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 9: Kind of mind blowing how wildly ahead of the curve he was on so many things that what he's saying and talking about are still so applicable today. It is a really masterful portrait of a very very expansive mind. To just sort of elaborate a little bit more about that, i'd like to bring up director John talk to us. Thank you so much and thank you so much for having me. I want to thank south By Southwest and Cludic Cofret and Peter and the team in Verity Productions and Happy Way and all our Carbreat collaborators.
Speaker 2: And we're really excited to sort of show this film to you.
Speaker 8: I think this is a story they.
Speaker 2: Need to be told, and you know, we're very very.
Speaker 9: Excited that, uh uh, you're getting to.
Speaker 8: Share with you guys are today?
Speaker 5: How do you think?
Speaker 2: Who are your plus today? Let's see you guys for the show.
Speaker 10: And at the meantime enjoyed them.
Speaker 4: So much of what he wrote was because he did want to comment on social conditions.
Speaker 7: We just started talking to the competition, So.
Speaker 4: Thank you for qutting us out whoa grab you can't slice that shirt?
Speaker 5: Oh yes, No, I was gonna say.
Speaker 7: I'll be there this year.
Speaker 4: Well good, well I was there in twenty twenty four when they debut the statue.
Speaker 2: So I'm glad that you put that in there. Yeah, that was that was a huge thing to here. Was that the actual carousel in the in the movie.
Speaker 9: So no, we we had shot due to tax credits in Rhode Island match a carousel which is actually kind of better.
Speaker 10: The carousel there is little too tight in case.
Speaker 2: We wouldn't film, gotcha? Okay, film?
Speaker 7: We did go to that carousel, Thom figure out.
Speaker 2: Ah, well that's good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like I said, we you know, it was just so great to when they unveiled that and to go into that park and to see the carousel and just go.
Speaker 5: To his house and and and look around and.
Speaker 2: Go wow, this is what inspired his childhood.
Speaker 4: That he as he said, he harkened back when he was in his late thirties, going man, I could just I just.
Speaker 2: Ride that carousel one more time, you know. So so again we appreciate it.
Speaker 4: So you said, you're coming to Sturly Fish, do you know, are they going to be able to debut the feller because I have them allowed.
Speaker 9: But I don't know, I feel like baby, say or do something.
Speaker 2: He'll be something. You got a lot of friends.
Speaker 6: I'm actually that we're gonna be Dynasty.
Speaker 2: Well you know, I'm.
Speaker 5: Kind of a surrogate for the whole Twilight Zone.
Speaker 4: Podcast for Tom Elliott. Oh and and so yeah, a lot of people were.
Speaker 10: Like, oh you be that's someone on your team at last.
Speaker 4: Early best Okay Chad boy maybe yes, ah, yes, yes, he he was doing the interviews for them, So okay, he's a good guy.
Speaker 2: He owes me money, but he's a good guy.
Speaker 5: No, Yeah, well that's good. Now they're they're.
Speaker 2: They're hoping again.
Speaker 5: They did say that they had to get permission from you or whoever.
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah, we'll definitely try to do something. Well, I don't know what.
Speaker 7: I don't know why.
Speaker 5: Okay, we'll good.
Speaker 2: Well again, Well, well I hope Central Texas is treating you well.
Speaker 4: It is it is this crazy Texas weather being called.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I can't thank you very much.
Speaker 4: That was I very much enjoyed it. He got so tired of trying to make statements who is regular television that he decided, well, if he'd do it through fantasy and science fiction.
Speaker 5: Or you can get away with it.
Speaker 4: So we have exited the movie. Theater finished the movie. Theater walked a couple of blocks down to a cafe to get some hot coffee because it is cold here in Texas, crazy Texas weather. So yeah, so they did. The movie had a little bit of Q and A at the end. So again here with Ken and just give a couple of our initial thoughts of the documentary. So any would you think about it?
Speaker 2: Overall?
Speaker 6: I love I thought it was very very informative and a lot of fun to watch. Probably the I hate to say it, I'll probably be the butt of jokes among you and your friends, but I feel like I'm totally ignorant of the fact that Rod Thirling was co writer on the Planet of the Apes, which I loved the Planet of the Apes growing up. Well, and now that I know that it makes total sense, well, I.
Speaker 4: Am going to direct you back to one of the Twilight Zone podcast episodes where Tom dives into that he he he. He did the initial treatment of it, but but the studio got involved and and Rod's vision of what Planet of the Apes was was a lot different than like the movie tenneby the end. The end was totally Rod serling. Oh yeah, but he he yeah, yeah, so so I will I will send you back to that episode.
Speaker 2: It's actually really well done. Yeah, that was probably the most surprising thing that I got out of it. I wieved it was like an aha moment. So it was.
Speaker 4: I think it was a very traditional style documentary.
Speaker 2: It was. It was.
Speaker 4: It was done in a very linear I mean it was it was the run flash yeah like that. So it was very clear what year they're talking about. And you know, as the years came on, you you could say, okay, well here here, we're getting close to twilight, Zionner, We're getting close to to not gallery things like that. I thought archive bal Yes, a lot of a lot of home video, a lot of home video footage, and they they did make the decision.
Speaker 2: To use.
Speaker 4: Actors to portray Rod and Carol Surley and I saw and and of course all of that footage is either shot from the back, so you know, the profile of the actor certainly looks like Rod. He knows how to hold a cigarette.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of cigare smoking.
Speaker 4: A lot of cigarette, yes, and but also either shot from the back or shot in and and blurry vision, you.
Speaker 2: Know, distance visions.
Speaker 4: So so you didn't have to have the the the the actual look of Rob Serland, but you know the mannerisms, you know. So so that was that was nice that they were able to do that to fill in, you know, because a lot of it has shown him type another typewriter.
Speaker 2: I guess.
Speaker 4: I was wondering if all of that audio footage was Rod, or if they got a voice actor to maybe read some of.
Speaker 2: His written word.
Speaker 4: Not sure, but it seemed to indicate at the end that yeah, they had a lot of recordings.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and with the Q and A with the director afterwards, he's it seemed to be that they uner you know, recordings tapes that maybe the family had.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. So two things kind of struck me.
Speaker 4: One was they described Rod Serling as an extrovert. I I didn't realize that myself, because you know, when you see him as like the narrator, you know, he seems like a you know, kind of a quiet, shy well, I mean, he was shy on camera, as they said, he was very nervous to do those do the introductions, clenched teeth talking and as they said, So I thought that was you know, interesting, But the main one of the main things that struck me was.
Speaker 2: It's later on.
Speaker 4: Uh, it's during the Vietnam War, and he's basically saying, hey, man, television viewers, they don't want to hear the hard stuff, you know, they they you know, they got all these complaints because because they wanted to see the.
Speaker 2: I Love Lucy Show instead of the Senate.
Speaker 5: Hearings or whatever. And how Rod was.
Speaker 4: Very disappointed in the television audience.
Speaker 2: So focused on escapism.
Speaker 4: Yes, and and and you think about that back in Vietnam, and now what do we have now? Now we have social media and now now you know, the audience they can only take thirty second.
Speaker 6: Snippets, you know, yeah, no attention spend.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And you know, I was reminded, I forget it was a musical artist. Maybe this is probably a good fifteen years ago. But you know when apps, you know, when you could go to the app store and buy all these you know, only little apps. And he was this, this music musician was lamenting the fact that he could spend all this time right in the song and then put it on the app store for nine sense. Meanwhile, for Nana nine sense, you could get an app that made fart noises and he's like, man, where is the where is the balance there?
Speaker 8: You know?
Speaker 4: So but but yeah, another thing that stuck out to me was the music.
Speaker 2: I thought. I thought the.
Speaker 4: Music was was well placed, you know, sentimental when it needed to be, harder when it needed to be there wasn't necessarily I didn't catch up on black like, you know, this is the rod Sterling theme.
Speaker 2: But but but I thought the music was really well done.
Speaker 5: But but yeah, no, you.
Speaker 4: Know, we're we're we we both enjoyed it.
Speaker 5: Like I said, I think we learned.
Speaker 2: We learned some stuff.
Speaker 4: You Yeah, definitely you're gonna go let'sten to a podcast soon and uh maybe popping plant of the apes just because. But yeah, so there you go. So there's the world premiere of Surling. I don't know what the when it will be coming out to a theater near you. We did talk to the U to the director, and he will be at serling Fest this year, he said. However, apparently it's not up to him whether he wants to debut the movie at surling Fest. So more to come on that. But anyway, there's our report. So this is Harold Clark and and mister King Corney signing off from downtown Austin, Texas.
Speaker 3: Harold, thank you so much for taking the time to do that. I really love getting the flavor of an event from people who are there. So, like I said that the Starter's show, if you've got something going on near you, then please don't hesitate to send something in. Now the documentary itself, I know that Jonah Thulis is going to be a sailing fest. Hopefully I'll catch some words with him there. We will see, but either way, I cannot wait to see the documentary, and like I said earlier on, it is one of several things that we've got to be thankful for this year as fans of the Twilight Zone and of Rod Sailing. So thank you once again, Harold, and I will speak to you soon. Everyone here on the Twilight Zone podcast. By for now.
Speaker 8: The protect Right, thet out