Speaker 1: It's seven oh six. If it's about KRC detalk station. Very happy Tuesday to you back in studio where we're liking to be. Bring him accoun from the Hudson Institute, where he is Senior Fellow and Director of Initiative on American Energy Security. He is also the well host of the podcast Charged Conversations, which are not surprising given the name, is also about energy policy, and he was just recently in Washington, d C. Where he's going back to provide testimony h and a hearing on powering America's future unleasing American energy. Brigham Accowan, it's always a pleasure to have you in the studio, and you can find Hudson Institute online at Hudson dot org.
Speaker 2: So he just told me off air you were a helicopter pilot. Yeah, fixed wing and rotary wang. Things started and you fly it.
Speaker 1: And flew out of DC just shortly before the collision.
Speaker 2: Oh I did, very sad. I've actually flown that exact same route in a Navy H sixty we call them seahawks, Army calls in black hawks. Same same That's very congested airspace. And yeah, I left DC about thirty forty five minutes before that horrible crash, you know, my lord different American CRJ and learned about it upon landing back here in Cincinnati last week.
Speaker 1: Terrible kind of I bet you had a strange feeling fall over you when you realize how close you were to you know, maybe having been impacted by it, or heaven forbid, having been in the airplane that got run into by the helicopter. Yeah, it's really tragic.
Speaker 2: And you know, Brian, through twenty plus years of military flying, I've come close a couple of times in different ways. You know, it's this big sky, little airplane theory. You know, they come together despite all this airspace. It's like attractive magnets. D C is one of the most congested airspaces around the country, and at Washington Reagan International Airport, they keep expanding it more and more flights because every congressman wants a direct flight home. Frankly, there are too many airplanes coming in and out of there. The FAA is underfunded, the air traffic controllers overworked. Were three thousand plus short of those folks.
Speaker 1: That's one of the things that really really concerned me to find out after the accident, how understaffed we are with the air traffic controllers. Yeah, we really are.
Speaker 2: And it dates back to two twenty twenty and COVID and then they just didn't ramp back up. And attrition is pretty high depending on what sector you're working. New York area has a sixty percent wash out rate within three years. And some of it's frankly cultural, it's intentional. Really, yeah, you know, the unions run the contracts. By the way, they just extended their collect bargaining agreement for five years right before Biden left office. You know, many good working, hard working controllers. Maybe some of them are listening to the program. But there are a couple places around the country where there are problems and they have sick outs. They hey, Brian, you call out sick, I'll take your shift, I'll get over time and then I'll reciprocate later. And you bring too many new controllers in and they don't last very long. So we got to fix these things. And the infrastructure it's old, it's broken down. We have flooding in the basements of some of these places. We have communications going down. The notice to airman went down the other day. That caused a big problem. Of course, the Biden administration renamed that to some gender neutral term I can't remember, but expect that to come back.
Speaker 1: Well that's you know, I always expressed my disdain generally for flying, just for a multitude of reasons, none of which ever really had anything to do with safety. It wasn't like I didn't want to get on an airplane because I was worried about a terrorist, But I just didn't like being on an airplane because you're stuck in there. You got to get there a couple hours advance, and with the luggage issues and the body cavity search from the TSA and you know, all that stuff, it's just makes flying a truly unenjoyable experience for me. But now with all this talk and all the revelations that have shown up after this horrific collision, now I feel I'm concerned for my safety that coupled with doors flying off of Boeing aircraft.
Speaker 2: You know, I think and Sean Dusky, the Secretary of Transportation, who I know and I've had the opportunity to work with, is a great person. And you know, he just put out an email to the DOT team, I think two days ago it said, you know, hey, folks, this is tragic. Here's the deal. If everything is a priority, nothing's a priority. We're a safety organization. We're not an environmental organization. We're not a DEI organization.
Speaker 1: It's like the military. Same thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to get back to our core mission. And if you are competent, if you are trainable, if you are smart, we want you to work here. But stop the madness and we're gonna stop celebrating every you know thing that comes up every different week and concentrate on safety and moving people around the country. We have to do both of those two things, move people safely period.
Speaker 1: Now, I would argue, or at least I have the impression, given the that safety and people's lives are at stake when you're doing your job as an air traffic controller, that that will be a high stress job. Yeah, is it? I mean these it perceived by most people. Do they feel high stress? Is that one of the reasons perhaps for the burnout rate or is there something more nefarious as you seem to suggest earlier. Well, I think you know, there are a lot of different things. There are.
Speaker 2: There's a culture there somewhat brought on by the high stress that people face. So it really depends on where you are, right, if you're working New York Center or you know, approach that's very different from you know, hanging out at a county airport in India.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, yeah, but.
Speaker 2: You know, we have to change the way we're doing business. We still have floppy drives. And I don't mean the I don't mean the five and a quarter you know, hard drives. I mean the big floppy drives that look like records. They still have those for some of the computer systems. It is are you kidding me? No, that's first generation kind of floppy drive, it really is. And so when the system goes down, you know how we can be the most technologically advanced country in the world and yet some not all, but some of our systems are so antiquated. And this administration is going to address that. They're going to fix this because it's unacceptable.
Speaker 1: It is what is it run on? MS dosh?
Speaker 2: I want to say, it's it's either Cobra or Cobolt or one of those things that you know from forty years ago.
Speaker 1: Do you people even still know how to program? At work on those and those legacy systems. Quite often you lose the skill sets necessary to even you know band Aid fix them if they require it.
Speaker 2: You do and when anybody who works it or as an executive a company will tell you too. Once you have a legacy system that can't be patched, you have a wide open door to cybercrimins and everything else.
Speaker 1: Hadder Dave had Ter talks about that every week. It's like when they phased out Microsoft XL, they are no longer going to be offering security patches. Nefarious characters out there in the world know that idiots still are using that old operating system. They figure out all kinds of holes that still exist in them because they're not being patched. Welcome to a cyber attack.
Speaker 2: Yes, So you know there's a lot to be done across the board, and that's just one part of government. Also, you know it usually takes years for the NTSB and others to come up with what happened. We've been promised answers in thirty days, so we'll see you know we will.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you for your service to our country. I learned something about you every time you come on the program Copter Pilot for the Navy and again Charge Conversations. You can find his podcast regularly before we and I want to we'll do another break coming up here. We only have a minute left, So I wanted to ask you because he is also in addition to everything else he does, he's a professor at Miami University, which we brought up. And you'll be teaching graduate level energy policy at Miami University this coming up.
Speaker 2: Yes, we just started last week. It's a grad and senior energy policy capstone. I'm really excited to be teaching it again. And the class maxed out again, which I guess is.
Speaker 1: A good thing.
Speaker 2: Maybe it just means it's a good thing. Maybe it just means I'm an easy greater Brian. I don't know, we'll see.
Speaker 1: I don't think that's probably the case. I think you have the level of you have an expectation for a level of excellence, and there's some superior students at Miami University, and most notably when you get to the graduate level, and of course like that, you're surrounded by some intelligent kids or young people or well compared to me anyway. But before we break here, I wanted you to repeat for my listeners what you have encountered since the November election during your teaching at Miami University.
Speaker 2: Yeah, It's amazing how many students come out, and I realized that many more of them are conservatives. And look from my perspective, and I tell all of the students, says, I don't really care what you believe in This class is about grading how you can articulate it, and how you can back up your argument. Right, you want to be left, great, be left, You want to be right, be right. But I've seen more and more people come out and say, you know, hey, you know this green energy thing doesn't work, and that's a new one.
Speaker 1: Well, and it's not that they weren't in the classroom before. It's just that they didn't want to get shouted down by a bunch of Greta thunbergs. I mean, the messaging has always been there. And I talked about this earlier. I think a lot of the polling reflected that maybe Trump wasn't going to do quite as good as he ultimately did against Kamala Harris. Because you know, somebody calls me up and asks me a questions I'm not going to answer. I'm say now, I don't want to participate and hang out. Many people lied and said they didn't like Trump and actually did, but there were a lot of pro Trump supporters out in the world who just kept their mouths shuts for fear of getting you know, demon eyes, lambasted or otherwise yelled at by the crazies and social media. Amen. They're out there, and apparently they're in college as well. Mart Briga, mcdaland from Hudson Institute. We'll talk about his testimony. He's off the DC the talk energy policy. We'll talk. We'll learn from him what the subject matter will be, in which direction he thinks we should go after I mentioned affordable imaging, because well, hospital imaging departments are really, really, really expensive. Can I emphasize that enough? I mean, the idea of paying five thousand dollars for a CT scan, it's just unconsortable to me when I know you can go to Affordable Imaging Services and get a CT scan for four hundred and fifty bucks. Yeah, same kind of CT scan equipment, same thing with the MRI, the echo cardiogram, ultrasounds, all of it is similar or operable to the hospital imaging equipment. Every low price for the images at Affordable Imaging comes with the board Certified Radiologists report, which you and your physician will both get within forty eight hours. I've already had scans there. I've got another one scheduled in April from an xCT scan to see which direction my cancer is going. And I'll keep my fingers crossed. But the last time I was there, my doctor had no issue with the image or the report, just had a problem with the outcome. That's all, but not five thousand dollars four point fifty and if you get a contrast six hundred. The MRI is most expensive. When you can get there with a contrast, it's still only six hundred and forty five bucks and you could be out of pocket thirty five hundred maybe four thousand at the hospital. So you have a choice. Don't go to the hospital imaging department. Go to affordable imaging services and save heap loads of money, especially folks that don't have insurance. It's not that you can avoid not and not get the scan. These things can be life saving five three seven five three eight thousand five one three seven five three eight thousand. To learn more, go to Affordable Medimaging dot com.
Speaker 2: This is fifty five KRC and iHeartRadio station.
Speaker 1: Pendings do to migraine can stop you in your jann and I says the weather is as follow. He's got cloudy sky today with higher forty six over an angle of thirty with more clouds overcash showers moving into the afternoon tomorrow with high thirty seven, thirty six overnight with rain and maybe some storms. Fifty five for Thursdays, high with morning showers. Right now thirty nine degrees. In time for traffic updates.
Speaker 3: From the UCL Traffic Center. Heart disease is the leading cause of death in the US. If you're at risk, trust the experts that you see health for innovative and personalized heartcare. Expect more do you see health dot com crews continue to work with a couple of recks sethbound seventy one, the first just below forty eight, starting to back up traffic a bit. The second is closer to Western Row. Both are on the right hand side. Sathbound seventy five slows through Lachlan SAP two seventy five heavy from the Lawrence Pern Ramp onto the bridge Ingramont fifty five KRC.
Speaker 1: The talk station sifty five KRCD Talk station Brian Thomas with Brigham McCown from the Hudson Institute in Studio Charged Conversations his podcast He Knows Energy Policy.
Speaker 2: You can also find him on what is it X? Now what's your uh? Yeah, right, it's BA McCown. That's BA mcc own.
Speaker 1: B A McCown, Brigham A McCown, hence the name. All Right, pivoting over, You're gonna be testifying in Washington, d C. In front of which which committee? Subcommittee? What is it?
Speaker 2: It is the House Energy and Commerce Committee, and I'll be testifying in front of the subcommittee on Energy.
Speaker 1: All right. Let this will be across the board kind of discussion about energy policy.
Speaker 2: Yes, it will be, and I'm kind of looking forward to it. We'll be talking about, you know, our current energy policy coming out of four years of the Biden administration, and then looking at what we expect to see President Trump do by way of energy, and what are the pros and cons of different approaches to energy.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, my conclusion, and I note from your summary page of the notes and things, but I've also heard this, next to raw materials and the cost of labor, energy the third most expensive cost driver. Now it seems to me to be I don't know, necessarily low hanging fruit in light of all the opposition to any energy policies by the left. But if you really want to lower inflation, lower the cost of diesel, you know, I mean everything in our country gets shipped by a semi tractor trailer truck running on diesel fuel, unless you're on a short haul trip in California, in which case you have an electric one. But the power from that probably is coming from some form of carbon anyway. But you could easily remedy some of the price problems that we are facing by lowering the cost of shipping, which would be lowering the cost of energy related.
Speaker 2: To shipping absolutely. And Trump's plan is to unleash commerce across the country, and you do that by having cheap energy prices, solid infrastructure, and lower fewer regulations. Because if you you know, right, rising tide lifts all boats. We've heard that before. And the economy is the driver that makes us all have a better quality of life, Brian, And energy and the infrastructure and the transportation component to that, they're all they're all three sides, three.
Speaker 1: Sides of the same coin. Can you say that doesn't make any sense? Three legs to the stool if you want to make it sound accurate anyway, I think I already got what you were talking about. But you're right on regulations. So when I think about, for example, the cafe standards, which ultimately forced people to end up driving something they don't want and also tremendously drive up the cost of you an internal combustion engine, you know, not only do you have cafe standards, but you also have all these safety standards and mandates and obligations on all the bells and whistles you got to put into cars. And is there even a single affordable car out in the world these days? I mean, I think of folks on life's margins, and they want a job or they've got a job. There was a woman locally that the help squad helped out. She spent three hours a day on a bus, yeah, to get back and forth to her job. They got her a car, they solved her problems. Yeah, you know, there's a lot of truth to that.
Speaker 2: And inflation inside, right, we spent too much money, We've printed too much money, got it exactly. That's a big driver of inflation. But another driver for in vehicle inflation and insurance inflation are these evs because we're all paying even though you're like, I'm not buying an ev well, you're still helping subsidize an ev Ford Blue lost over a billion dollar last year. You think that four to one fifty internal combustion and truck didn't cost you more because of that?
Speaker 1: Absolutely, you got to find profit somewhere, and you find profit in the products that people demand and buy. And there is no profit in those evs there there isn't.
Speaker 2: Right now now, I will say, uh, you know, Tesla's come out with revised model threes, and why is the price has gone down? They've made them less complicated, They're using different battery technology. Yeah, it works around town. You want to buy one, Great, you've got a uh, you've got a charger at home. Great for the rest of us, though the Biden administration pushing this on us, by the way, in the Inflation Reduction Act, right well, well named uh supposed to put all these chargers out around the country, and they've done none of that.
Speaker 1: We've got like eight yes, and there was like five billion dollars or something along those lines, and they put in the Yeah, they put eight Wow. I you know, gosh to a neighborhood near you, sometimes centuries from now.
Speaker 2: So, thank goodness, the previous administration was not very competent delivering this. But we have tomate between two and four trillion dollars to build out an electrical infrastructure system for charging cars. And if we're going to be serious, and part of my testimony tomorrow is, look, let's just assume everybody agrees that we need to reduce our carbon footprint. We don't agree, but let's say let's just assume we do. Then the government should be agnostic as to how you do that. If you can put a different fuel in your regular engine, fine, why do we have to electrify everything? Why is the government telling us what we can buy and what we can't buy instead of saying, guys, here's the problem. We don't know the right answer. But look, we've got brilliant people all over the country. We want to get from point A to B. You guys in the private sector figure it out. That's what the government should be doing.
Speaker 1: And agreed, and you know, even maybe a little bit further diving down the the rattle that this is, if you live in an area that gets most of its power primarily generated from you know, natural gas or coal, perhaps then you're really not impacting the carbon output into the world when you're driving an EV because the power that's generating the electricity is coming from a carbon producing source. Absolutely correct. Isn't there a physics react sort of a physics component of that, Like you're not going to achieve greater energy from the plant to the charging station. I mean, it's gonna be one of those it's a wash type deals. It is. It absolutely is.
Speaker 2: And you know, we have actually reduced greenhouse gas emissions more than any other country by simply switching from a coal fired power plant to a natural gas fired power plant. And a lot of people don't understand that whether you use I don't know, coal, gas, oil, well, nuclear power, we're heating water. We're heating water to then make electricity. Now, the natural gas plants we use in some cases gas turbine engines that you can click a mouse button and throttle it up or back, which is the most efficient. And we should be building more of that, and we should be building more nuclear. But to your point, for all of the coal that Europe and the US has replaced, China has more than offset that this year alone. China's talking between forty and sixty gigawatts of new coal power.
Speaker 1: So okay, let's continue to cut our throat in the face of the Chinese communist parties aspirations. More with Briga McCallan. After a quick word, here for the only agent I would trust to buy our solo home. Peter Shabrie. This regroup of Caloriam seven Hills. He is He and his team are outstanding. And Peter's a brilliant man. He's got all kinds of wonderful ideas in different ways. Skin of cabin it comes to buying and selling homes and programs galore. They have the just an extraordinarily competent team that will really provide value for you, whether you're a buyer's agent or seller's agent. In fact, if you're looking to sell your home, Peter and this team are so confident that they will sell your home. They offer a guaranteed sale program. Meet with Peter's team mutually grant a price in a timeline, and if they don't sell your home at that price by that time, Peter will buy it. Yeah, done and over with. You know, the light at the end of the tunnel has already been established at the outset, So go to seven zero eight three thousand dot com seven zero eight three thousand dot com. Call them up at of course five one three seven zero eight three thousand, or if you forget all that and you can remember Shabri Group, just put it in your search engine. C CHA b R I S Chabri Group fifty five KRC. A minute of channelnine says today we're gonna ploty skys going up the forty six over to night low of thirty with clouds, overcast, slash clouding tomorrow with showers in the afternoon, thirty seven for the high down to thirty six overnight with rain and maybe some storms. Showers in the morning on Thursday, high at fifty five thirty nine. Right now traffic time.
Speaker 3: From the UC HOW Triumphic Center. Heart Day see since the leading cause of death in the US. If you're at risk, trust the experts that you see how for innovative and personalized heartcare.
Speaker 1: Expect more at U see health dot com.
Speaker 3: Southbound seventy one, they cleared the wreck near King's Mills. Still working with the accident on southbound seventy one near Western Row. Right hand side traffic starting to get a little bit better. There's a wreck now on Drake near Miller in Levitton High School Chuck Ingram on fifty five KR see the talk station.
Speaker 1: Seven thirty three fifty five KR see the ETHOK station. Brian Thomas with energy expert Briga McGown from the U Ensuit. He will be testifying in Washington, d C. On energy policy tomorrow and obviously ABO above board strategy above board. And I just casually mentioned, you know, you always hear about gas, hear about coal production, you hear about nuclear production, although I'm hoping we'll get some and you can comment on that. But the idea of a geothermal you know, the Earth is a great heat exchanger, and I've got a you know, sort of I guess a mini version of a geothermal system. You know, tubes running one hundred and fifty feet down into the ground and start you're starting at fifty five degrees. Then it's not as much of an uphill battle to cool the air or warm it as the case may be. And the energy bills are often very very low by comparison to a traditional system. So and I know that if they drill a hole deep enough, you know, the Earth's core is molten, and I'm not sure you have to go all the way down to the Earth's core, but you get to a certain point, which is an achievable depth. It's pretty damn hot. I just it seems so simil that you could run a line down there. The water would heat up and boil like you talked about, and create steam, which would generate free electricity.
Speaker 2: Right yeah, Iceland uses out there some places with volcanic activity where the lava is closer to the surface that you can do And yeah, you know interesting, isn't it that? Gee, that's uh, let me think that's carbon free. Yeah, why aren't people talking about that, Brian.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's it's mind boggling. We're all pursuing hydrogen technology and all these different, you know, very complicated things, but the simplistic thing of really, you know, you put a pipe into the and I know it's more complicated to this. I'm not a scientist and I don't play I don't play one on radio. But there's that massive amount of heat, and yes, it is close to the surface in a lot of places on the Earth. Hell, there's active volcanoes out in Hawaii, right yeah, yeah, there are.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, geotherma for industrial applications what we call industrial heat applications are possible. I know up at Miami University they use geothermal as well and have cut their builds substantially. And again, they used to have a coal fired power plant actually at Miami, and they don't any longer, and they've added on to it every year. In a couple places around the world, people are putting geothermal under the streets and kind of giving it to an entire neighborhood, right and it can help a lot. There are a lot and I think that's really the issue is with AI and data centers. We need a lot more energy than we currently produce. We're having trouble getting it built because of some of these I'm going to call them silly environmental and process laws where we can't get anything done and then the loser sues and it's tied up for another seven to ten years. We've got to get back to a country of building things. And I know this president wants to get stuff built. He's a developer, he likes building stuff. And we've got to simplify what we're doing and get back to that core mission. Because America used to be doers, or we used to be builders and whether that's energy, whether that's infrastructure, where that's roads, highways, whatever, we.
Speaker 1: Need to get back to that. Yeah, and the more abundant and inexpensive the energy is, the more likely it is we can achieve these goals. And everybody listening audience knows what's coming. I want to hear about nuclear power because it seems to be the literal answer to so many prayers, including environmentalist prayers. The way these new nuke systems work. So first though, word for Fasten pro Roofing. Fine the online faste n Fasten proroofing dot com and check out that gorgeous work that they do. And it's all like that perfect custom work for you. You need a new roof on your home, They'll do any type of roof you need. How about your commercial space? They do commercial work as well, copper custom copper work. I think I'm most impressed by that because that really takes some skill sets, and boy don't they have them. But for all things roofing and roofing related, you're dealing with the company that will never ever ever, why do you steer you in the wrong direction. They take great care of their customers. It's important for them that the reputation remains intact and trust me, it is never trying to say anything you do not need like so many other unscrupulous roofing companies and superior work as well. I see it every day I drive home. Plus the siding on the backyard. I love this siding. They did hardyboard over the old vinyl. Just a tremendous improvement the look and the quality. Fastenproroofing dot com again call a plus with a better business bureau. Of course, that's a free, free, free, free roof inspection in quote five one three seven seven four ninety four ninety five five on three seven seven four ninety four ninety five.
Speaker 2: This is fifty five KRC and iHeartRadio station.
Speaker 1: This is Ashley Channel nine. First one to weather forecast. Clouds today with a higher forty six clouds every night down to thirty can be a cloudy day Tomorrow, rain in the afternoon, thirty seven, rain over night and some storms are possible Wednesday night thirty six for the low fifty five high on Thursday with some morning showers thirty nine degrees right now.
Speaker 3: Traffic time from the UCL Traffic Center. Heart disease is the leading cause of death in the US. So if you're at risk, trust the experts at you see Health for Innovative and person of Ies Tartcare. Expect more at uce health dot com. SATH Pound seventy one crews continue to work with an accident near Western Row. They're on the right hand side, then break lights from just above two seventy five towards Fifer. SATH Pound seventy five is running an extra ten minutes through Lackland North Pound seventy five close to that out of erl Linger into downtown Kingbramont fifty five KERR see the talk station.
Speaker 1: Seven forty fifty five KRCD Talk Station Brian Thomas with BRIGHAMCGWN from the Hudson into talking energy policy. He'll be testifying in front of a Congressional committee tomorrow on energy policy. And Brigham's in all the above kind of guy and all the above suggests. Of course, among other things, we talked about nuclear power, which it drives me out of my mind, considering everybody's all worried about carbon output. Nuclear power doesn't put any carbon. And know these are no longer three mile island type nuclear plants. We have moved. We are decades past that new technologies exist, closed loop systems that don't require cooling towers, and as you pointed out to me off the break, no problem with waste anymore. With nuclear plants.
Speaker 2: Right, we can recycle they spent uranium and pretty much put it back into operation. Nuclear fission, which is what we use, releases exponential amounts of energy over a fairly small footprint for a you know, a plant, And we have the capability to make large ones like we've like we always have, as well as to make a SMR smaller modular or a small modular reactor SMR, and even microreactors.
Speaker 1: You mean, like the ones on my friend's submarine and the ones that are used to powered battleships and have been for the last fifty years. Brigham.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, how about that aircraft care All of our submarines have been nuclear powered since sixties. Yeah, maybe late fifties, late fifties. Somebody will call in and say, what they're a Michael chime in on that. But yeah, and right, I mean this is not new. And they're run by eighteen to twenty one year olds, you got that right, And they're the smartest people.
Speaker 1: In the navy. By the way.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm an aviation guy, not a submarine or don't call them some mariners.
Speaker 1: They get upset. I know, I found that out too. I got corrected, so I haven't made that mistake.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we can release large amounts of energy that over the lifetime is one of the most cost effective way per kilowatt hour. But the government gets in our own way because our regulations are still antiquated. Yeah, we're still assuming we're building a three mile island and it takes you know, the joke is the Nuclear Regulatory Commissioned inn RCA has spent its entire life as an agency avoiding permitting anything that's got to change. That's got to change, and behind the scenes you won't hear much about this, but fusion. There is a space race on to develop fusion power. China's doing it, We're doing it. And that is the power of the sun, a sustainable combustion, never ending that creates more energy than it uses. That's the holy grail. It's always been fifty years away, but we'll see.
Speaker 1: Can you imagine that it's almost It acts in defiance and the laws of physics. I mean, you've go to the concept that energy matter can neither be created nor destroyed. How do you end up getting more energy out of something than anyway? Again, no scientists, am I, but I've been hearing about that technology for ill since I was a little kid. Are we close at all? Do you have any insight into how far we are from being able to harness that type of the technology.
Speaker 2: There are many startup companies in the US trying to figure this out, and unlike other energy where you share all this technology, they're being very they're holding everything very close to the vest right because well profit and you know the Chinese will just steal it. And so we have several different reactor designs. One of them is called the Tokamak reactor. Don't ask me why to figure out how to do this, And right now we can only sustain a chain reaction for anywhere from a few seconds to a record I'm told, but I haven't verified this independently as a thousand seconds, and then you have to tear the whole thing down and rebuild it.
Speaker 1: So wow, we're not quite there yet, I would say.
Speaker 2: But there are a couple of people that plan on small commercial versions of fusion as early as the end of this decade.
Speaker 1: Well real quickly before we take another break and bring it back for one more. In terms of the size of the nuclear plants, obviously, as you pointed out, they come in all shapes and sizes, but they're much more compact than they used to be. Artificial intelligence needs a just a ton of electricity, and it seems to me that it's going to be one of the easiest ways for us to actually get this for our own use, because all the big players in AI are talking nuclear technology, building their own plants on their own facilities. Could one of these smaller, say submarine or aircraft carrier size react or actually run an entire artificial intelligence facility? Or it require something bigger than that. No, it sure could.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, you could plug a submarine and empower a city of three hundred and fifty thousand people there you go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's just See. Every time I hear things like that, it just really irks me that we are being deprived of this answer to our prayers. Seven forty seven fifty five care Se Detalk Station QC Kinetics maybe the answer to your pain prayers. And if you started out with the pain and it got gradually worse, now you can't get in and out of the car without wincing and pain climbing up the stairs. That arthrit is pain, whether it's in your knee, your hip, some other joint, maybe your back. So you've been to the doctor steroid injections. Yeah, I've been down that road a whole bunch of times. You say yourself, and I'm not taking pain medications because they're tough to come by and they don't solve the problem. How about instead of surgery, which is your next step, QC Kinetics. QC Kinetics the nation's leader in regenerative cellular treatments technology that's giving people like you an option other than surgery. It's an all natural approach harnessing your body's own healing properties to treat the root cause of the arthready pain. Like PRP therapy, the elements come from your own body, concentrated placed in the joints where your pain is in office with no down time. You're gonna have downtime with surgery. I'm pretty much guarantee you that tens of thousands of patients are satisfied having rotten pain relief from the good people a QC Kinetics. So why not take advantage of the free initial consultation to see if these these regenitive treatments are right for you. Talk to them all about it. Cal QC connects for that free consultation. Five one three eight four seven zero zero one nine five one three eight four seven zero zero one nine. That's five one three eight four seven zero zero one nine fifty five krc.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: Here's your TANNE nine weather forecast. Lots of clouds. We have clouds today with high forty six. More overnight with low thirty clouds and some showers in the afternoon. Tomorrow thirty seven rain likely overnight along with maybe storms. Thirty sixty overnight low and a high fifty five with morning rain on Thursday. Thirty eight degrees Right now. Traffic time from you see Help Traffic Center.
Speaker 3: Heart disease is the leading cause of death in the US. If you're at risk, trust the experts and you see Health for innovative and personalized heartcare. Expect more, and you seehealth dot Com. Cruise continue to work with an accident in southbound seventy one near western row right hand side, then slow little traffic into blue ass from just above to seventy five. Northbound seventy five and an extra ten minutes Donaldson into downtown Southbounds an extra ten and an alam Auckland Chuck Ingramont fifty five KROS the talk station.
Speaker 1: Just shout at seven to fifty two if you about krcity talk station talking energy policy with the man who knows energy policy, bringing the gown from the Hudson Institute teaching energy policy at Miami University, with a bunch of brilliant young graduate students, and you had another comment you wanted to make about fusion and embrace yourself for these fun facts. Folks. Now, we're not quite there yet with fusion, but it looks like, you know, someday, maybe within our lifetime, we can harness this technology. But give them a little comparison by way of comparing it to nuclear power, and then Cole.
Speaker 2: Sure, well, fusion is generates four times the amount of power that fission produces, so it's.
Speaker 1: A lot more four times nuclear power.
Speaker 2: Four times more than new clear power, you know, bang for the buck, and for million times more energy than burning oil or coal four million Brian.
Speaker 1: That is just mind boggling, isn't that a lot?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 2: The trouble is, of course, you know the high temperatures required to make it, and that's that's really one of the impediments right now. But by the way, it doesn't really produce radioactive material. After you shut the thing down within a very short period of time, there's nothing left. There's no radioactive material or what there is closest to it can be. The half life is so short it doesn't require all the safety precautions that regular fission reactors require.
Speaker 1: All right, in terms of regular fission the stuff that we can do and can accomplish right now, because that's what the French are using for their electricity. In so many other places are building nuclear reactors. Where do we get the nuclear material from to run the reactor? Bring them? Yeah, you know, this is amazing.
Speaker 2: We used to produce all of our nuclear fuel from Paducah, Kentucky and Piked in Ohio, not too far from where I grew up. And after the Cold War ended, we shut down that production because we took Russian fuel and down blended it. It was highly enriched uranium, nuclear bomb type material.
Speaker 1: This is post Soviet Union, falling post Silvit Union, and that was a good plan. You know.
Speaker 2: They said, please come take our stuff because we can't guarantee the safety, and we said, sure, we'll do that, but that decimated the domestic industry. We get our nuclear material from Russia. Canada wants to provide it for us, and they mine uranium. Once we get through our little family food fight with those guys, you know, and I do like the Canadians. They want a closer They even talked about an energy union and economic union with the US. They would like to do this, and I think, you know, Trump has his reasons for doing what he's doing, and it appears to be paying off. So while people are hysterical about what's going on with Mexico and in Canada, just you know, hold your fire. It's all going to be fine.
Speaker 1: Well, And it only took like twelve hours to put things in short order, getting the tariff shut down and Donald Trump getting some of his way with regard to the border security and trying to shut down fentanyl from flowing into our country.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's really what it's about. It's about securing the board, it's about fentanyl. It's about the drug trade back and forth. It's about illicit money coming back and forth. And you know, is it unorthodox? Yes, from a diplomatic perspective. Is it the nicest way to treat your neighbors? Maybe not, But you know, he's a disruptor, and when you hire a disruptor, they disrupt things. That's the whole point, and that's what leads to breakthroughs. Quite honestly.
Speaker 1: Well, and none of this should shock anybody because he ran on doing it. Yeah, I mean he was talking about terriffs in the last year and a half. I mean it's like, oh my god, he put tariff's and like what he said he was going to right, And if I were into Europe, I'd be getting ready. Yeah, they're already rumbling from the European Union about counter tariffs. So it may be a great mechanism to get the ball rolling on further discussions, which it seems to have done here with Mexico and Canada. So let's keep our popcorn out. So far, it's born fu. There is a method to the madness. There certainly is. Brig him a gown again. Hudson dot Org is where you find Brigham. Search for his podcast, Charged Conversations and good luck with and safe travels on your way back to DC. Yeah, thank you very much, My pleasure man, I'll look forward to hearing how things go. Thanks Brian seventy six fifty five car City talk station inside scoop. We're gonna be talking with Texas Border Associate editor Bob Price on IC deportations, among other things. And then fast forward to eight thirty Daniel Davis deep dive on the latest going on with Ukraine and will Tulci and Pat cash Bettel be confirmed? Kind of looking that way. Daniel Davis on that at a thirty news happens fast, stay up to date.
Speaker 3: At the top of the hour, we're moving very quickly at fifty five krs.
Speaker 1: The talk station