Speaker 1: A lot of times people who live in gaiety communities have a false sense of security.
Speaker 2: You live in this big, beautiful house because as you think you're in a very safe environment.
Speaker 3: I hander cards for hands or tide.
Speaker 4: It was definitely some kind of passionate crime.
Speaker 5: Are you saying that I did it?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Holy crap. Oh never. Never.
Speaker 1: Poor lady was sleeping in her home and was awoken to this monster breaking into her home.
Speaker 7: Deontay Rizillis is a prolific burglar. Somehow he got a handcuffed.
Speaker 2: Key and he just ran by everybody out of the front door and down in the back stairway.
Speaker 5: It was just so astonishing.
Speaker 8: It was just the kind of thing that couldn't possibly happen until it.
Speaker 6: Was happening right in front of you, your wife, an Laurie.
Speaker 9: This is what he's going to tell you.
Speaker 10: I'm going to have an situation, and I grab the gun trying to find the first place to put a body.
Speaker 9: No, sir, the only thing they could do was killing. You want to sell.
Speaker 6: Anything, lead the jury and to find the defendant.
Speaker 11: The west Ridge development in Davy, Florida, was home to some sixty families, including the Sioux.
Speaker 7: Family, a group of lovely people, very close to each other, parents that were very involved in their children's lives, a father who was, you know, a very high achieving scientist. They are financially very well off. She is a the Halliburton family. There was a division of property rights, mineral rights, and as a member of the Halliburton family, she ended up with some of those rights.
Speaker 11: Their son, Justin was living at home.
Speaker 7: He had just turned twenty, not doing as well as his dad had hoped in college, and he flunked up. So yeah, there was some tension, the kind of tension that happens when you have a loving father who expects a lot from his son and a son who is, you know, embarrassed and ashamed of the fact that he wasn't able to live up to his family's expectations.
Speaker 3: What is your emergency, my children? What is your name?
Speaker 6: Yes, Justin, Sue Joy, my mom call me, Justin.
Speaker 3: Are you with her right now? So he came out, No, she's not, she's not.
Speaker 7: She's recording on the phone. Call is very difficult to listen to, and you see the progression which takes all of about a minute from him saying my mom killed herself to then say wait, she's tied up.
Speaker 3: You know, I don't know. I think hanser tide, our hands are tied.
Speaker 2: Okay, everything.
Speaker 3: I don't know, gonna under through.
Speaker 12: I don't know if I don't think anyone here but gotta be left already.
Speaker 6: But no one else is there.
Speaker 3: I'm today, I just I'm sorry. Oh my god.
Speaker 11: Homicide Detective Paul Williams was a sign.
Speaker 1: To the case myself in the crime scene investigator. We walked into the garage and through a single entry door into the home. I was pretty a pretty gruesome scene, probably one of the most terrific scenes that I've investigated in my time. She's bound together at her hands and at her feet, lying on the bathroom forward with multiple stab wounds amongst about our body. It was definitely some kind of passionate crime or when I figured somebody who close to her had an issue with her, or basically a heated fight or altercation had occurred.
Speaker 4: For the victim to get that many stab wounds.
Speaker 11: So her son, Justin was brought to police headquarters for questioning, asked for a DNA SAT and given a white jumpsuit after his clothes were taken for evidence.
Speaker 4: So that was my decision.
Speaker 1: You start off looking always at the person who discovered the victim and the people who were closest to or had the most to gain.
Speaker 13: Oh, we love you.
Speaker 5: Out of here.
Speaker 1: Obviously very shook it up in an interview room at first would have done this.
Speaker 5: Man, Man, I really want to tell you, I really don't know.
Speaker 14: I honestly think this is just a random I think these people have been looking out of my.
Speaker 5: House for a while for the last two weeks.
Speaker 14: Notice all his cars always had always had the cars out front.
Speaker 1: He immediately denied it and basically told us we need to go.
Speaker 4: We're wasting our time. We need to go find the real killer.
Speaker 11: Justin's father, doctor Nan Yaosu, was in an interrogation room down the hall.
Speaker 15: Obviously, I know as you're sitting here you can hear your son crying, and I know that hurts. But just understand that, you know, we have to follow procedure here.
Speaker 11: Doctor Sue told detectives he was at his office when he saw an image on a surveillance camera from the dining room that suddenly went blank. It had been ripped out of the wall.
Speaker 5: Did you tell if it was a male or female? I think he's a male okay, a skinny Okay. How old did this male work? Twenty?
Speaker 16: Is male?
Speaker 9: Black? Male?
Speaker 11: Or looks like a whites. Doctor Sue said after he saw the video, he called his son Justin at work to go home and check it out.
Speaker 15: Where was your son today when he left the house?
Speaker 5: Let me ask you that where was he supposed to be? He's supposed to go to walk.
Speaker 15: He didn't go to work, and you realized what, well you thought you saw that camera beforehand.
Speaker 5: It's sort of a pretty close description to your son.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and not only that, but could it have been Justin? Because Justin was inside the house and knew where these cameras were.
Speaker 11: As other detectives scoured the crime scene for clues, they found a knife outside the front door they later learned belonged to Justin, and while the house appeared to have been ransacked, detectives reported that nothing seemed to be missing.
Speaker 1: So those were all kinds of things that my partner and I were recording in the back of our head that we need to address.
Speaker 17: Dude, I'm I can't man, I've been in this room way too long, man, Okay, Listen, A lot of the stuff that we talked about earlier.
Speaker 5: The stuff you told us doesn't make sense. What do you mean, Are you saying that I did it?
Speaker 15: Yeah, holy crap, Oh my no, I did oh never, oh never do that.
Speaker 4: Dude.
Speaker 15: Oh my god, Oh my god. What what's so hard to believe I did that?
Speaker 11: I would break you.
Speaker 5: Nobody broken enough.
Speaker 4: Stop playing this.
Speaker 17: Go no long.
Speaker 9: We've been doing this job a long time.
Speaker 5: This horrible that you guys would even think that I would do it. I'm sorry, but you're sorry. I'm gonna I'm gonna go. No, You're not gonna go nowhere.
Speaker 9: Dude, there, I.
Speaker 11: Didn't do it.
Speaker 14: Oh my god, do you did you listen to me on the of.
Speaker 15: The Yeah, it's all both your whole both stupid plan and you did a job at the house.
Speaker 9: So you want to start coming clean. This is your only opportunity.
Speaker 5: You can understand your dad. What what I said to my dad? I I lied to my dad. I told him I was going to work.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 5: Inconsistently between your statement, you're going what what?
Speaker 3: Hey?
Speaker 5: We just want to know why, Oh my god, I didn't do it. I just want to know why I didn't do it. I didn't do I didn't hear my own book saying that over and over again. It ain't gonna go anywhere. I'm telling you, just why did.
Speaker 9: You do it?
Speaker 4: That's it?
Speaker 9: And do you feel bad at it? That's all? That's all I want to know.
Speaker 11: Detectives wet next door to tell Justin's father, doctor Sue, his son was now considered a suspect.
Speaker 18: But since my son is still my son, I would accept the truth that he did it. But before that, we need to make sure that everything it don't fail it.
Speaker 5: Okay, And you just said that if he did it, you would accept it. Is that what you said?
Speaker 18: If the truth, if the to the truths come out that he did it, I totally accept them.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 11: I'm a scientist.
Speaker 5: I go with the truth.
Speaker 11: And detectives were confident the truth would be found in the DNA on the knife at the murder scene.
Speaker 5: Dude, you guys got the wrong person.
Speaker 9: Man, I didn't do it.
Speaker 2: The police had that young man detained in an interview room for thirteen hours, filming constantly coming in and out of the interview room, so they focused in on him.
Speaker 15: You came in, you were thinking, you're gonna tell us that it was a wrong and they were looking at your house for two leads and all this.
Speaker 5: Guess what we can sift through?
Speaker 9: Bull real fast?
Speaker 15: Okay, that's all those things.
Speaker 5: I said, what's true? I don't know somebody was casing your house for two weeks. I don't know, because you're just giving us ideas.
Speaker 9: You know why, because you're the one responsible.
Speaker 5: So stop with the boys, God help you. I don't I did not know. Guess what. We know what helped is and we know what it looks like. We know both is and we know what it looks like. So stop stop, bro.
Speaker 18: I'm not posting to you officers, I swear on my life.
Speaker 11: It was now after three in the morning and still no confession.
Speaker 2: They didn't have grounds to hold it, and then they eventually had to release both man and then the the investigation continued.
Speaker 7: They process any items that could potentially have DNA on them of evidentiary value.
Speaker 1: One was a knife that was at the front door outside of the front door of the home and a belt that was used to tie the victim's hands up. About a week later, we got what we call a preliminary hit or identification.
Speaker 11: It was not a match with Justin Sue and he was clear as a suspect, as he had repeatedly predicted, when.
Speaker 14: You guys find out you're wrong, I hope you come and say sorry, to meet man or something, because this is a horrible No.
Speaker 15: This is a horrible If I found out I was wrong, I seriously consider a career change.
Speaker 1: I don't feel guilty for the reason or the ways that we went after him pretty hard, but at that time, our job is not to worry about feelings, and our job is to go about and to do the job for the victim who can't speak. I wouldn't have changed the way I did, or my partner feels the same way too.
Speaker 4: We wouldn't have changed it.
Speaker 11: But the DNA did lead that to another suspect.
Speaker 8: We're learning new details tonight about the man arrested for the murder of a South Florida mother.
Speaker 11: A nineteen year old Haitian American by the name of Deontay Rizilis.
Speaker 1: We knew Deantay risils was the person whose DNA came up on the pocket knife and the loop belt ins that would lose to tie up the victim.
Speaker 7: Deontay Risillis is a prolific burglar, and he had multiple over two dozen burglaries.
Speaker 1: This house seemed to very much match houses that he had burglarized in the past.
Speaker 7: He always gains access into the homes through a rear either window or glass window or glass door, and commits his burglaries sometime during the day where he expects the homes to be empty.
Speaker 1: When he was inside the home, he encountered missus poor lady was sleeping in her home and was awoken to this monster breaking into her home. I think she put up one hell of a fight tried to get away several times, which is why he felt the need to have to tie her up, bound her and stabb her and take off. He did not want to leave. An eyewitness, with the assistance of some cell phone tracking detectives, made contact with him and took him into custody without incident. I explained to him that I had a warrant for him for murder, and you're.
Speaker 5: Gonna be charge the first to gree murder, well, first first to murder. Okay, let him in charge.
Speaker 11: Prosecution was going to seek the death penalty, and the court assigns h. Don Williams, who specializes in such cases as Rizealis, as lawyer.
Speaker 2: In the beginning the case I thought was a very defensible case. Mister Sue, he initially said he saw white, a white guy.
Speaker 9: A black male or looks like a whites.
Speaker 2: Mister Rizal's background, he had other burglary cases and there's never any hint of violence.
Speaker 11: And Rozialis's friends and family who know him as Mucci, quickly came to his defense.
Speaker 19: That's not a crown that he would have committed.
Speaker 5: And I stand on that.
Speaker 7: I put my life on it.
Speaker 6: I know he didn't.
Speaker 11: Even paying for a billboard across the street from the Broward County Sheriff's office.
Speaker 8: It actually juxtaposed a picture of Jill Sue with a picture of Dante Rozilli's as if both of them are victims of this crime.
Speaker 11: For two years, the case against Allante Rizealis slowly moved through the court system in a series of procedural hearings.
Speaker 5: This was, for lack of a better term, a murder case like many.
Speaker 8: Other murder cases, and this was not going to be a case where we were going to go gabble to gabble until the suspect decided that we weren't.
Speaker 11: We're on top of breaking news and accused killer escaping from the Broward County courthouse.
Speaker 5: More than eight hours ago.
Speaker 2: An army of police descend on a locked down Broward County courthouse.
Speaker 11: Deonta Rasillis was on the wrong.
Speaker 5: It was just so astonishing.
Speaker 8: It was just the kind of thing that couldn't possibly happen until it was happening right in front of you. So now there's a killer on the loose, and everybody wants to know everything there is to know about Deonta Razillis.
Speaker 2: We're not seeing a new video of the chaos in a Broward courtroom when a murder suspect managed to slip out of his shackles and escape.
Speaker 7: Somehow he got a handcuff.
Speaker 12: Key, and he had a jail jumpsuit overclose that was way too large for him, so that he could remove it very quickly.
Speaker 7: He had people in the courtroom who gave him the signal of when the vehicle that was pick him up was in the back.
Speaker 2: He just ran by every day out the front door and down the back stairway, something right out of a television movie.
Speaker 19: The Roward County Sheriff's is twenty one year old Dante Rasiles is still missing.
Speaker 20: Police say he took off in a getaway car with the help of several accomplices.
Speaker 7: Huge story, huge man hunt all over the county.
Speaker 8: Believe no stone on, turn everything in the back, bring it back housby safely.
Speaker 5: Quickly, efficiently.
Speaker 2: The sheriff was going crazy. I think things spent about a million dollars in overtime trying to catch him.
Speaker 5: It was a black eye. It was hugely embarrassing. It was just so brazen. It was just so astonishing.
Speaker 2: The police thought I had something to do with it. You know, where'd he get the handcuff key to take off the handcuffs? Well, it must be the lawyer like yelling like really, come on.
Speaker 6: Guys.
Speaker 1: Had a large following of people. Basically they called him the Robin Hood of the neighborhood. So there was a lot of people that he had manipulated to follow him and help with his escape from the courthouse all the way through to try and throw off law enforcement at every level and hide and get away.
Speaker 2: In the beginning, they were often a ten thousand dollars reward, and I said to myself, that's not going to do it. The amount went to fifty thousand dollars, and I said, now, he's going to get.
Speaker 21: Caught breaking Overnight the Broward Sheriff's Office announcing the capture of Dayon day Risilds.
Speaker 19: A group of deputies surrounded a van that Resulz was in and was immediately escorted inside.
Speaker 2: Well, the motive was he was going to get out and prove his innocence and all that time. He's gone a week and he basically got forty five minutes away from the courthouse.
Speaker 8: When they get him and they look at his phone, he has not been on the hunt for the real killer.
Speaker 5: He has not been trying to clear his name. He wasn't doing anything along those lines. He was using his phone to look at porn.
Speaker 7: It was a total of eight people who were charged for participating and aiding and abetting him.
Speaker 2: Franzine measure Doo was arrested for giving him a wig, color changing contacts and clothing.
Speaker 8: Mucci, as he was known in the community, had tons of friends and he's a charismatic guy. That's one thing that we've learned throughout this process. He can talk an eskimo into buying.
Speaker 11: Knights and back in custody in the Broward County jail, Rizilis got another group of friends to help create a defense.
Speaker 8: The bottom line is he's trying to build an alibi that says he's in Georgia at the time that Jill Halliburton Sue is murdered. He's not aware that police are following his every move.
Speaker 11: The plot was busted and yet another group of Rizilla's friends and supporters faced prosecution.
Speaker 2: There's a young lady that gets charged in that she had never met mister Rises in person. She was an insurance agent and she gets fascinated by him and she says, I want to get married, that she wanted to marry him, so she pulled herself right into this case.
Speaker 8: This guy convinced your fourteen people to commit a crime on his behalf, to jeopardize their own freedom because charisma. That's just how charismatic he is. They called it Operation Rico Slavin. That's how police felt about this guy's ability to get people to follow him on this path, Operation Ricos Slaby.
Speaker 11: Finally, with enhanced security, Deonta Rizillis is put on t for the first degree murder of Jill Suke.
Speaker 7: The jury was out a very very lengthy period of time. They finally come back with a verdict and the verdict is guilty of manslaughter.
Speaker 5: Each juror is asked, is this your real and true verdict?
Speaker 8: And usually it's one of the most routine things that never results in anything, but of course, in the Deonta Razilia's trial, that process becomes its own drama because the.
Speaker 5: Very first person is the fourth person.
Speaker 22: And there is a pause, and no one expects a pause, and you could almost hear her struggling until.
Speaker 8: Finally she says no.
Speaker 5: No one ever says no. It's always yes, yes, yes, yes.
Speaker 7: Never had that happen in thirty five years. When that happens, then the is not accepted. The jury sends the jury back and they have to continue deliberating, and they deliberated some more, and then came back the next day and they declared themselves to be a hung jury. I had five different jurors reach out to me and all of them said the same thing. They thought he was guilty. And several of those jurors told me that there was one juror in particular who said he was not coming back with a verdict that would send another young black man to prison for life.
Speaker 11: The judge declared a mistrial and said a new trial date.
Speaker 5: It all starts from scratch, as if the first trial had never had.
Speaker 11: Who was a do over?
Speaker 2: So you never know what's going to happen when you get a hung jury in a retrial.
Speaker 11: Reporters from around the world were there to watch the trial of the man being called an escape artist, the Houdini of Broward County, Deonta rizilis.
Speaker 2: We seem to get cases that attract national attention. Here brow Weird County.
Speaker 20: We we forget and we can't that a woman was brutally murdered and that if this person is convicted, the state is going to seek to put him to death.
Speaker 9: Good morning, ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 7: Here the basis of the cases. Does that mean, cried Burton, missus Sui's staff over a dozen times all throughout her chest.
Speaker 6: You will be.
Speaker 7: Talking to see what happens, Jesus.
Speaker 11: The prosecutor tells the Jerry. It will all turn on improved testing technique for the DNA found on the knife, the cloth tie, and the smashed glass entry door.
Speaker 7: They identify single source, one person's DNA at that point of entry. Defense and the end of all, I'm gonna ask you.
Speaker 9: To apply all along to decision and so we've you heardy to see the truth. Council, thank you. Uh, this is defensive opportunity to aggress.
Speaker 21: You please give defense counsel the same courtesy and attention you've previously displayed to the Schneider Council.
Speaker 9: I want to start with the fact that the evidence that you are going to here.
Speaker 23: In this case, it's gonna lead you work for questions that I answered, and the questions are a couple.
Speaker 5: That I like, that's you, which is.
Speaker 9: Did the husband or the son have a role in the death of Jill suit.
Speaker 7: The theory seemed to be that it could have been Justin, or it could have been doctor Sue, or it could have been just In a doctor Sue together. At the same time, when Nane Young talks.
Speaker 9: To the police, he.
Speaker 5: Describes the person that he saw in the.
Speaker 8: Cameras being white, being skinny ladies and gentlemen, the evidence in the space.
Speaker 23: Slowly lacking, and confident that after you listen to all the evidence in the case, who was the fact that the only.
Speaker 5: Lost the urgame ver non adults than.
Speaker 9: Raised your right hand would be more.
Speaker 11: Given the defense strategy, prosecutors knew they needed doctor Sue to deal with his statements to the police.
Speaker 5: Did the police ask.
Speaker 9: You if it was a life or white versus yes? What did you say?
Speaker 24: Uh?
Speaker 13: And they only gave me two choice brought and white, And I really might I should. I don't know because they can't tell.
Speaker 5: But at the time.
Speaker 9: I thought I had to.
Speaker 13: Give everything I thought speculation included. So because everything appeared to be white, I say, maybe white?
Speaker 9: And do you know for sure what color the person was?
Speaker 11: The actual video doctor Sue saw had been erased by the time police learned of its existence, so that important piece of evidence was never available. The cross examination of doctor Sue was handled by a defense lawyer, A Lai Domingus.
Speaker 9: And you said that that person looked white? Do you because you thought a person was actually white?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 13: Oh, I say it's a ps to be white because he he was interested as white.
Speaker 9: But you didn't when they ask you, was it a white male or a black mail? And your response that was it that person moves white to yous? Right, looks white because a pr to be whiteish.
Speaker 19: But you didn't say at any point when they asked you is it a white male or a black mail?
Speaker 9: You didn't say, I think white because of a person is where you're white?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 9: Nope. When they ask you is it a white male or a black mail you.
Speaker 19: Had absolutely no trouble understanding that.
Speaker 9: Question, right, Oh.
Speaker 24: It was.
Speaker 5: It was difficult for them. When does this end? How much more do I have to go through?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 5: To see justice in the case? Justine, you.
Speaker 9: Please have sea.
Speaker 7: He was very conflicted between hating the defendant and wanting to focus on telling the jury what it is that he saw and experienced. And you know that's a difficult thing to do.
Speaker 5: That's the first thing I see is this fad of my mom's head.
Speaker 4: Uh, just down in a.
Speaker 14: Baths up that it's just full all the way up to the top of just water mixed with blood.
Speaker 11: And I just start scursing, screaming.
Speaker 8: What the.
Speaker 25: Will I broke?
Speaker 5: Like theficient way another way of putting agente broke.
Speaker 7: Justin is you know, unfortunately going to be affected by this for the rest of his life.
Speaker 5: The police accuse you.
Speaker 9: Of so many.
Speaker 5: Did Jesus?
Speaker 9: Thank you? Thank you? Cross ease Oka Brave, sure what your kimmock? This is your up treaty for Cross you may proceed.
Speaker 11: The cross examination of Justin Sue was handled by defense lawyer Joseph Kimmock, who began with the fact that Justin had flunked out of Stetson College, agree with.
Speaker 5: Me that since you left Sesson, that that and then moved back into the house, and overall you felt that.
Speaker 9: That had a negative impact.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you and your parents' lies had gotten worse because because.
Speaker 5: It's correct, you saw your.
Speaker 9: Mom's pride because of what had happened.
Speaker 5: Perhaps correct, you have.
Speaker 9: Life of a number of about where you were between ninety fourty four and saws correct.
Speaker 5: To who.
Speaker 9: When you called nine one one?
Speaker 16: My correct that when you called nine one ones you told the nine one one operator that.
Speaker 9: You were one. I don't think it matters. Isn't it true that.
Speaker 5: Even after police attack? Is it huge you have murdered? You continue lies to them a lot where you are.
Speaker 24: A lot.
Speaker 14: When I was being interrogated, I possibly said that.
Speaker 5: I was under a lot of stress.
Speaker 24: I agree, we're being accused of murdering them all. And yeah, still made the decision she lies to them where you were?
Speaker 5: Where exactly it did? Did I say that after the police after get.
Speaker 4: Possibly?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Correct? Again, this is all you're saying.
Speaker 7: Yeah, probably a little more argumentative than I would have wanted. You know, we always warned witnesses don't get it, you know, don't get defensive, don't get argumentative. But it's hard when people are accusing you of killing your mother.
Speaker 9: Your mom had a will that.
Speaker 24: Uh yeah, yes, and under the under the will there was a scenario in which you would receive five hundred thousand dollars as a result of you know said, correct, what now.
Speaker 9: You don't know anything about Now, where did you get that number from the will?
Speaker 7: Okay, there's nothing I can do to stop that's right of confrontation.
Speaker 11: The prosecutor, Maria Schneider, used the redirect to give Justin the chance to better explain himself.
Speaker 17: Or just absolutely tread probably you know, I talked about this with psychologists. Is someone who sees something like that, they go into the brain shuts down and the objection to romans try to recome protective just like you know, so obviously I know my minor is literally trying to protect yourself from the memories of that day.
Speaker 7: Of course, when it's a case as serious as this, when somebody's life potentially is on the line, I think jurors rightfully so want to have as much shurness as they possibly can, as much certainty as they possibly can, and the fact that you know, I have no person who can say yes, he killed her is always a benefit to the defense.
Speaker 11: But the prosecution did have one eyewitness from that day at the neighbor across the street from the Sioux home.
Speaker 9: I heard a high pitched.
Speaker 12: Shrieky sound, squeely sound.
Speaker 9: Where did you at?
Speaker 26: I saw across to the Sioux's front door, and they have double doors as well. One of their doors was open partially and I saw a light colored image object at the front door about waist high, and it was going back into the house.
Speaker 9: And how sure are you about the time that suit around me? Oh, I'm certain that it was around him.
Speaker 7: We know where Justin was at noon because we have him driving out of the garage at Broward College at twelve eighteen, twelve nineteen, And we know that missus Sue was alive around noon.
Speaker 11: And doctor Sue was in his university office at the same time.
Speaker 7: We know because he was using his computer. We know for multiple reasons where he was at noon. This is why the neighbor from across the street, Betty Dutgo, became such a crucial witness.
Speaker 11: Her testimony may have helped to clear Justin Sue and his father, but it did not in any way implicate Deontae Rizillis.
Speaker 7: Who as a cucumber, laughing, joking, acting like nothing matters.
Speaker 8: Dante Rezillis is a clearly a man of supreme confidence. As these proceedings are going forward. He never betrays any look of worry, any look of concern. It's like he's insulted that all of this is happening.
Speaker 5: He just looks like, seriously, you think I did this.
Speaker 8: Of the family members who showed up sincerely believed that an injustice has been done. They are people who genuinely believe that that Dereanto Rizillius is an innocent man.
Speaker 5: He wants his friends and family to know he's got this. He wants the jury to know this could not possibly have been me.
Speaker 7: I mean, we don't know what to expect.
Speaker 3: We all just hear in support of my brother.
Speaker 11: Now the time had come for Rizillus to decide whether he would take the stand in his own defense.
Speaker 9: You understand you have a right to testify too, and that's your right right, do you understand? And is this your decision that you don't want testifie.
Speaker 11: All right, thank you.
Speaker 7: I can't show you a video of the defendent committing this offense because there wasn't one, but the science sees him there.
Speaker 9: The science season.
Speaker 7: Committing this DNA is the old standard, and his DNA is there.
Speaker 5: The science puts him there.
Speaker 7: The science puts in the hands on of Levin. The science puts his hands on an item that time is supper.
Speaker 5: Murder of the secondary would be giving you a huge way because what he did face the definition of brother personally.
Speaker 7: Drew.
Speaker 9: There's no evidence that he's a person that killed Jill Soon.
Speaker 19: The way that she was killed, it's like it's not to someone that I'm familiar to her. It seems like a passionate crime is to stab her over twenty five times and all the.
Speaker 10: Everything that you've heard is that theon Ti Rizilas had absolutely no idea who Josue was at best improvement when the day was outside of the home on two items, the knife.
Speaker 5: And the north and since high tide, that is.
Speaker 12: Not enough to find somebody guilty.
Speaker 9: The only just verdict in this case is a verdict of not guilty.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 11: In her rebuttal, Prosecutor Maria Schneider used rezealous as escape attempt as further evidence of his guilt.
Speaker 19: For the first two years he was in custody, he meticulously planned an escape.
Speaker 5: But jacks will joy back nine and any.
Speaker 9: Lads dont jordial line or only recollection of the Heaven.
Speaker 19: Institution because it's really easy to escape clonel more rights.
Speaker 6: An escape.
Speaker 12: Gets caught and work out for five days.
Speaker 19: That's CID escaping shows a consciousness of guilt.
Speaker 9: Is he don't manage standing you ever? First? Is that correct?
Speaker 5: And this time is did not take as long wetur to find this he results in this case. But if ID is.
Speaker 25: Guilty of murder in a first degree, that's charged me. And he's putting on a show, a very good one.
Speaker 8: Not even when he's being sentenced and he finally sits down and has a chance to address the.
Speaker 5: Judge and the public, come me.
Speaker 8: Name is Dante resists and says, just when I wrote it a note, I didn't do this, I didn't commit this crime.
Speaker 5: I had nothing to do with it.
Speaker 16: I would never take a wife from a high screen, I would never take.
Speaker 6: A mother from my child.
Speaker 16: I read every newspaper article that came out Baby at Large twenty five times Missus suer style.
Speaker 5: That's being on my Compidhenshion.
Speaker 16: I don't possess the hate rage inside my arm to commit such an aniens crime. I can't change your guy's perception and feeling towards me. But any day, at any hour, any decade, if it will provide you guys with the soldiers, they can hook me up to a polygrad test at any given time, ask me any question they wish in my Ansle and Maine saying I did not kill missus Sue, and that's all I have to say.
Speaker 8: It was smug, it was defiant. It was exactly what the Sioux family had come to expect of dayanti zealous.
Speaker 11: You know what the day job is.
Speaker 5: The day job is to help people like you, Chill.
Speaker 11: It's a kind of person who could help you.
Speaker 5: Instead, you kill her.
Speaker 4: No, you did not just kill.
Speaker 5: No, you kill for the cold block like a psycho.
Speaker 13: After this, today, the end, the resial, I'm gonna evase you from my favor.
Speaker 3: In my mind.
Speaker 2: You are.
Speaker 5: As long note produ you've DENI exist, then we are going to make sure we get popery the risk of life. Why do you rock and chill?
Speaker 14: There's so many aspects of my life and better just absolutely ruined in way that I don't know and that I do know because of what you did. You're a whole entourage of people that you have Instagram, Facebook, all this stuff that's attacking me and blaming me.
Speaker 5: Stop stop it. That that's you're literally murdered a.
Speaker 14: Mother, and then now you're trying to blame the sun for what you did. The only person on the entire planet that knows the last words but my mother, that psychopath right there.
Speaker 5: And we'll never know what it was.
Speaker 14: You're gonna be very as a very tiny spot for the rest of your life. And that doesn't make me sleep better at night. But just know that that's a fact, just like the fact that you've murdered my mother. That's a fact that that's what the rest of your life is going to look like. Thank you, mister Thilse.
Speaker 21: The jury, having found you guilty of murder the first degree, has charged in the indictment of the court, now finds you guilty adjudication guilty and sends you life from prison.
Speaker 8: The prosecution decided to take the death penalty off the table, and part of the reason that they did that was that this was not something that Jill Halibert and Sue would have wanted herself. She was not a vindictive person. They don't want to think of themselves as vindictive people. They wanted the kind of closure that comes with knowing that this man will be in prison for the rest of his life.