Speaker 1: This is Dan Capless and welcome to today's online podcast edition of The Dan Caplis Show. Please be sure to give us a five star rating if you'd be so kind, and to subscribe, download and listen to the show every single day on your favorite podcast platform.
Speaker 2: Well, Kenny Scharf, Steve Reims, if you were listening in the first hour we had borders. Are Tom Homan on with us at the start of the show and not to be you know, I guess overshadowed. We have probably our bigger guest of the of the show by a lot of accounts, at least by his own. We have George Brockler with us, the district attorney for the twenty third Judicial District. And George and I we go back at each back and forth at each other quite a bit, so I have to take a shot whenever I get one. So George, welcome to the show, and thanks for being on with us.
Speaker 3: So good to be on. It feels a little uncomfortable having you with control over the books, phones and the microphone, but let's see where it goes.
Speaker 2: We have a dump button, so you know, don't say anything too stupid, so which would be tough.
Speaker 4: For you Yeah, that will be good.
Speaker 2: Thank you, George. You know, we joker a lot with each other, but there's a mutual respect that we have for one another, especially when it comes to something like what happened in Boulder yesterday. You know, you're that expert when it comes to these big time prosecutions from a little bit of your history with the Aurora theater shooting and some other high profile cases. So I kind of like to get your take on where does this case go? What do you think how do you think this case travels through the court system other than you know, he's probably going to claim some kind of insanity defense. But what does this look like? I mean, what's Michael Doherty up against.
Speaker 3: I think there's a couple of things going on here. You know, Dougherty has got to manage not only the ongoing investigation, and that's going to include exactly what you said, which is, how can we get as much evidence as possible about a guy who's only been in the US for two years that will help us Rebut the claims that he's incompetent, that that will be the first line of attack of competence, Yeah, and then follow it on by insanity. But the other piece of this is what role will the FEDS play? And I've been prepping for a trial myself today, so I don't know much more than guy got a ten million dollar bond, totally appropriate, and that the FEDS are have an affidavit. That affidavit tells me that there's a potential there for the Feds to end up moving on this case. As you know, the FEDS are most likely to indict if they're going to do this. But I think that's got to be the debate that Michael's having with DOJ right now is who's going to get the most bang for their buck. In the past, and I mean even with a roar theater, there was an effort by the Obama Justice Department to want to come take that case, and they wanted to use the incendiary devices that the killer had in his apartment as a vehicle to make their terrorism claims. We had a great special agent in charge. I don't know if you ever worked with this guy, Steve, but his name was Jim Yacone. This guy was legit and no one would know this about Jim. Jim was one of the helicopter pilots in Blackhawk Down. He just would never talk about this. Dude was legit. He went to bat for us with DOJ and said, this is a local crime. Let's let the locals handle this thing. Now Here though, you know, despite a Pettitt policy, which is a policy where the FEDS typically defer to the locals. With a President Donald Trump and Attorney General Pam Bondi and these issues right terrorism, immigration, anti Semitism, I could see the Fed saying you can have him when we're done.
Speaker 4: But we're doing our thing.
Speaker 2: So I mean, I think a simple question that a lot of the caller listeners and callers are probably wanting to ask, is where does he get the bigger penalty through a federal prosecution or through a state prosecution.
Speaker 3: That's a great question. So what the biggest charge that Michael will have, Dougherty will have is a temp murder until and I hope this never happened, until someone passes away. A temp murder is an F two punishable by a sixteen to forty eight year range. And because we just passed that great advanced Colorado backed initiative, you know, that mandated eighty five that just took place this year, So you're going to have to serve eighty five percent of whatever that sentence is. The Feds also have an eighty five percent sentence, but they have more tools in their toolbox, I think, to go after this guy than the locals now, I think, in my opinion, and I don't know what conversations Michael's having with Bishop Gruel, the acting US Attorney, but I imagine they're going to sit down and say this is what we're going to get, and Michael's going to say, this is what I think we're going to get, and then they just have to have a conversation about where best it could be that regardless of that, the Pam BONDI, you know, leadership says we don't care, we want to do this, yeah, end up having.
Speaker 2: I tend to believe you're probably on the right path there, especially with the high profileness of this particular case and just all the nexus with legal immigration and oh my gosh, Yeah, I can't imagine that the that the FEDS hand this over to the Boulder DA, which is he's a very competent person, I think if legit. Yeah, I think despite his political his political background, I think he is a fantastic guy to prosecute this. As you probably would agree with.
Speaker 3: In fact, people ought to remember that peaceful, almost all entirely white, upper middle class Boulder just went through a horrible trial involving the mass murder of ten people at a King Soopers just last September. Right, So and Do already led that prosecution, and he's led a lot of others that don't get a lot of attention. He is a legit prosecutor. He is not one of these Soros backed You know, I've never been inside a courtroom. I'll manage the office from the campaign trail kind of guys.
Speaker 4: That's just not him.
Speaker 2: No, I agree with you. I think he's he's cut his teeth in the court room and continues to stay razor sharp on those particular things. Oh yeah, so you mentioned you know, whether there would be a competency issue or an insanity defense. What do those two things look like as this thing moves forward? What kind of stall tactics are we talking about? And I know that's a pressure point for the public Defender's office is to try to get everything stalled as long as they can. You know, what's the likelihood of us seeing this trial in the next year, year, two three?
Speaker 4: What do you think it depends.
Speaker 3: If you go with the Feds, I think it's much more likely. If you go with the locals, I think it's less likely. And you only have to look to the King supers mass murder effect because remember he played the competency card repeatedly with great success and delayed that case for a long long time. And if you're the public defenders, either at the federal or the state level, you're looking at this as, hey, we just have to survive the Trump administration, right Like, if the Feds are going to go full bore on this thing, all we have to do is survive him. Maybe we can get someone in there who will come up with a better outcome for us. So competency is that way of saying, hey, my client doesn't understand what's going on. He can't actively participate in his own defense the way the sixth Amendment to the Constitution guarantees, because he just can't do it. He's got some mental problem.
Speaker 2: In sanity's different.
Speaker 3: In sanity says you could know absolutely everything and be totally aware right now, but at the time you committed your heinous act, you lack the ability to know right from wrong.
Speaker 4: Based on societal standards.
Speaker 3: And morale, and or you could not form the intent to murder after deliberating on it. Sure, both of those things, in my opinion, will be at play here. They were both in play at the King Supers case, if you remember, though, interestingly, on the King Supers one, the defense could not find an expert to come in and say he was insane. It didn't keep him from pleasing insanity, but did not put on a single expert to say he was insane.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they could not find a friendly expert out there. And you got to hope that's yeah, you got to hope that's the same thing in this particular incident. I don't know who wants to tie their name to someone like this, Oh boy, switching gears just a little bit. Chief Redfern over in Boulder. That name probably rings a bell to you just from the Aurora Theater shooting. And I know that he's catching a little bit of flack about, you know, being the chief in Boulder and maybe not saying this is a terrorist event right away. But I have a lot of respect for Chief Redfern and I'd like to get your take there of you know, is Boulder in good hands with him? A percent?
Speaker 3: And Listen. What I think people don't appreciate too is you're an elected official. I'm an elected official, Darren Weekley's an elected official. When things happen in our jurisdiction, we answer only to the voters. We get to stand up and say bold things. He's not. He's an employee of the Boulder City Council and the city manager, so what he says matters and impacts him in his department. Differently, if you add to that that this guy needs to be cognizant of the fact that the things that he say may not only set the community against him early on and that's your jury pool, but also may run a foul of the ethics rules that prosecutors have to be bound by. People see you start to wonder, Okay, I get it. I get why he's being cautious. The other thing people probably don't know is this dude is a hero.
Speaker 4: Of the Aurora Theater massacre.
Speaker 3: He was the sergeant behind theaterre number nine when the fire trucks and the ambulances couldn't get there to deal with all of these people. We have seventy injured, twelve deceased that couldn't get there. He made the snap decision to order all of those cruisers to be turned into makeshift ambulances, and they saved dozens of otherwise mortally wounded people by sending them off to three different hospitals in police cars. Had he not done that, our death total would have in my estimation just based on the indies, would have been double or more. That's the guy that made this decision. He's been there, done it, he gets it. He's not a guy that's like week on crime or soft on that. He's not a progressive do this guy's legit law enforcement. I just think he's hamstrung by his situation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I wanted to point that out because, you know, just because he's associated with the Boulder Police Department, I think there's this fear that they're not going to do the most competent investigation possible. There's you know, there's a little bit of criticism for how the initial officers approached the suspect, which Redfern couldn't have changed. But quite frankly, I think, you know, his leadership in that agency couldn't have come at a better time for this particular incident, and especially with it being on a national stage. And I think he deserves some credit for his past and where he's at now, and I'm glad you. I'm glad you had the positive comments about him.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I guess my final question to you will be, do you what do you think the final outcome to this looks like? I mean, what is when prosecution has done, what does this guy get? There's no chance of a death penalty conviction at this point from what I understand, So what years does he get? Where does he go?
Speaker 3: Well, listen, if there's eight a tempt murder victims, if that's where we go with just the injured that they've identified so far, you can do the eight times forty eight, which is the mac sentence on the state of temp murder charge, and that puts you at a.
Speaker 4: Whole six eight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, the guy's looking at four hundred ish years in the Department of Corrections. Keep in mind, I'm not that awesome. I'm not that happy and awesome on the sentencing that we have, not because of what we've done, but because of the Department of Corrections and how they calculate time, how they process parole. It's just not favorable to think the outcome we want, which is this dude never takes a free breath ever. Again, Fads, I think he ends up in super Max or the equivalent for eternity as well. I think the only thing I worry about, and I don't know if you talk to Tom about this, but we've started to see Ice get super proactive and aggressive, and on a lot of cases I appreciate it. But they're grabbing up people who otherwise might have pending prosecutions in the Metro area and then shipping him back to Mexico. And I'm like, hang on, hand on, please tell me we're not thinking of sending this dude back there now.
Speaker 2: Be right. It'll be celebrated as a hero if he goes back to his country. Yeah, that can't happen, and I have to believe this administration understands that. But to your point, they have dismischarges on some pretty bad folks, so they could send him out of the country. The only way I'm supportive of is that is that if he ends up in the prison in El Salvador, and I don't think that's likely with this particular one.
Speaker 3: Well, if we have to remove that other guy, there'll be space.
Speaker 4: Well to work out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, George. You know, it's always a pleasure to talk with you. You know, like I said, we like throwing shots back and forth at one another, but on an incident like what's happened in Boulder, I think your expertise in this was welcome.
Speaker 4: Listen.
Speaker 3: You know, you do a great job with all the law enforcement share stuff. But you're impressing me on the radio. And I'm just going to tell people in no way, by the ways, that's a threat to Ryan or Dan or anyone else. But the idea of the sheriff and the DA show, I'm just saying it's out there. It's a possibility. It could be magic. I'm just saying it.
Speaker 2: Could definitely be magic. It could also be a dumpster fire.
Speaker 3: Without its own kind of magic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, George, again, thanks for coming on the show, Thanks for educating us all, and we just appreciate the work that you're doing down there in the great twenty third Judicial District. Keep it up and stay in touch.
Speaker 4: Same thanks er, right, thank you.
Speaker 2: We'll go to break, but that'll open up some phone lines and some text lines again. Text at five seven, seven, three nine are calling it three or three seven three eight two five five we'll get your reactions to George Brockler, and we'll keep covering this case. Because I don't think we can talk about it enough. We'll cut to break. You listen to the Dan Caplas Show here with Well Kenny Sheriff Steve Reims setting in as the guest host.
Speaker 5: And now back to the Dan Taplas Show podcast.
Speaker 2: Dan's off at court doing some important court battle stuff that is way over my head. But today I get to just be the guest host and talk about a very unfortunate event that happened over the weekend. And I shouldn't even call it an unfortunate event. It's a terrorist attack. Calling it an unfortunate event isn't doing the victims of this any justice, because, Uh, it was a heinous act committed by a heinous perpetrator that hopefully we'll spend a long time in a very small, confined space for whatever reason. Uh, this individual will not ever be subject to the death penalty from the way it looks at this point. And that goes back to a text we got earlier. It says, you know, our criminal justice system is basically failing, and you have to compare us to some other countries. Where we've made penalties for acts like this, I don't think they're commensurate to the crime at hand. If you've set eight people on fire, I think the death penalty should totally be on the table for you because your intention was to do just that to some other people. But I guess that's for another day, in another time. I can't change the world through the talk radio channels, but i'd love to hear what you think of that particular issue. You can always text in at five seven seven three nine, start your text off with Dan or call in, which I love going back and forth with the callers because I love getting your perspective on something, especially as as extreme as what we've just experienced here in the state of Colorado. The number here is three O three seven to one three eight two five five, and I welcome you guys to call in about this or about anything else that's on the agenda related. I mean, we've been talking about illegal immigration and the effects of some of our policies here in this state and how it's negatively impacted the direction that Colorado's going in. When we had Tom Holman on at the top of the show, I mentioned the lawsuit that the Attorney General. The US Attorney General had filed against the state of Colorado and the litany of things that it outlines as to what is wrong in this state. And you know, there's so many bills that are listed, or so many Colorado bills or what are now laws that are listed in this thing that it's almost humorous because we have a governor who says, no, we're not a sanctuary state. But just in this one lawsuit, House built nineteen eleven twenty four is referenced, Senate Bill twenty one one point thirty one is referenced, and many others as well. They could add two seventy six for it, house built twenty three eleven hundred, and municipal codes in Denver. I mean, the list is pretty long, and they didn't even get them all. They just went with the ones that were most egregious. So when you're governor, and I say you're governor, because sometimes I don't want to claim him as my own. I certainly didn't vote for the guy when he's out there making claims that no, Colorado's fine. You know, we we love to work with the feds. Well, it's going to be interesting to see how much you know how much we love to work with the FEDS on this particular incident, because we're going to need them, and I think whether we want to work with the Feds or not, they're going to be very involved in what's what's happening in Boulder, and probably rightfully so the next is for the FEDS to get involved in something like what we just saw happen is is definitely there again. Call in text in You can text Dan text start your text with Dan at five seven seven three nine or call in at three O three seven one three eight two five five. I'd like to know do you think the penalties that this individual can get are severe enough? I mean, is life in prison enough for this guy? Is life in supermax enough for this guy? And on the flip side, as when we had George Brockler on talking about how Ice has been pretty aggressive on some of these folks, would you like to see this person just deported and completely skip the entire court process. Is deportation enough of a penalty for what he's done? I tend to think not. I think this person needs to spend some time in a in a very small, confined space. If we can't put him to death. But there are plenty of people who says, get him out of our country unless avoid the costs. I'd like to know what you think. Again, you can text in at five seven seven, three nine or call in at three h three seven one three eight two five five. I will tell you ICE is definitely sending plenty of people out of the country. And I think for some of those lower level crimes, where it's you know, a simple assault, you know, a small level theft DUI, Yeah, sending them back to their home country is probably more of a penalty than letting them set in a cell. But when a guy sets eight people on fire, I have to believe that sending him out of the country is not the correct answer. I think we need to get our pound of flesh from that individual before he ever has a chance to go back home and be celebrated as a hero potentially. So hopefully you guys will call in and we'll have those discussions in the last half of the show here. But again that numbers three oh three seven one three eight two five five. Let's let's chop it up a little bit and talk about what's happening over in Boulder. If you're listening to Steve Reims filling in for Dan Kaplis on the Dankplas Show here on six point thirty k.
Speaker 5: You're listening to the Dan Kapliss Show podcast.
Speaker 2: Trial or doing some kind of important court work. But you know, we've got a huge topic that we've been covering today, and that's this incident that happened in Boulder yesterday, this terrorist attack, if you will. And when we went to break, we were talking about, you know, what's the right punishment for this crime? Should this person spend the rest of their life in prison in the United States? I think a lot of you agree that the death penalty should should be in play, Unfortunately it is from what I understand. Or should this person just be deported, Should they be sent back home and save the taxpayers a lot of money, but potentially let them be Let this person be celebrated in their home country of Egypt. We're talking about Mohammed sabriy Sulliman, the Egyptian terrorists that was arrested yesterday after he set eight people a blaze, and maybe a couple of others that have come forward since that time. But we have Bob from Denver who's on the line to talk with us a little bit about what he thinks the punishment should be. Bob, what are your comments?
Speaker 6: I would put this gentleman, and I used the term very us. I hope so in prison for the rest of his life and hopefully and probably he might have a few accidents in there and only last about six months.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have to believe. So there are some people when they go to prison that are universally hated. That tends to be people who commit bad acts towards women, rapes, assaults.
Speaker 6: It also child.
Speaker 2: Molesters and terrorists also fit in that same in that same category. You know, that's that's not necessarily the cleanest way to get justice, but it's cleaner than a lot of things that have been texted in. So, Bob, I mean, if this guy goes back to Egypt, don't you think he's celebrated as a hero in many parts of that country?
Speaker 6: Probably? And I would say that the ones that you just listed, the child molesters and that should get the same punishment on terrible, terrible crimes like this. They have no right to live.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Again, when we were earlier talking about some of the texts that were coming in about you know what's the most appropriate thing for this person. Why doesn't our criminal justice system work. I think oftentimes it's because the punishment doesn't truly fit the crime, and in this particular incident, we're seeing the effects of the punishment's not really severe enough for the crime that was committed. When you set eight people on fire, you have no purpose of remaining on the face of the earth in my mind. But Bob, I think you'd probably agree with that.
Speaker 6: I would agree totally with that. I would be very happy to.
Speaker 2: Bob appreciate the call. Thanks for calling in, and I really appreciate your perspective there. I think you probably mirror what a lot of the listeners are thinking. Thanks for calling in. Again. If anybody else wants to call in and give their opinion, you can do that at three oh three seven one three eight two five five. I love to have those conversations. But you can also text in it, Dan. You can text in with Dan five seven seven three nine and keep it somewhat short because I can't read a book on here. But several of them came in through the break, One from a very good friend says, I definitely think we should avoid the cost of imprisoning this terrorist. But my answer isn't to send him home. It's a little more direct. So I think I know what that means. And if you're reading between the lines, that that's probably around about way of saying this person should just not be around anymore. Let's see here number one. Another text here says number one, this moron is not a United States citizen and he committed an active terror. How can the death penalty not be on the books. I scratched my head on that too. You would think that that would be the case. But obviously you remember some of the people that were involved in the plotting of the nine to eleven terror attacks, which I think should have been able to be put to death too. Those people were and are still, from what I understand, setting in Guantanamo Bay for some of those issues, and again they can't be put to death, or some of them that I think ended up in Supermax here in Florence. But a quick Google search says federal crimes that can be punished by the death penalty include treason, espionage, and certain murder offenses. Again, we don't want any of these individuals in Boulder to end up dying, but I guess that might open up another avenue for punishment on this individual. But I would never want to trade the death of one of these victims so that we could and we could look at how to deal with this guy differently. I particularly like this text. It says, call me medieval, but I'm for making the death penalty fit the crime. By making the perpetrator die in the same manner that his victims did, in this case, death by fire. Maybe that would be a real deterrent rather than decades in jail with three hots and a cot. There are plenty of folks out there that become institutionalized and completely love living in a prison environment. They figure out how to how to make it. You know, they're home away from home, and they're they're totally fine living in that environment. And I don't want this person to have that that feeling either. I can get behind the death by fire, although this guy, by all accounts, it looked like he tried to say, well, he did set himself on fire while we were at break. I was reading through some of the reports and it said while he was attempting to throw one of the Molotov cocktails of one of the two, that he actually he got off. That's when he set himself on fire. I can't help but believe he was probably soaked from the backpack full of gasoline that he was wearing the weed spray full of gasoline. That was probably a bad combo. It's too bad that this guy didn't at least try to practice this once before. Maybe he would have burned himself up and not ever gotten this far. But regardless, you know, the punishment that goes with this crime isn't near severe enough. And the sheriff, yes, yes, Kelly, go ahead.
Speaker 7: Do you have a question, go for you? What do you got because you probably are very versed on this.
Speaker 2: Probably not, but we can try.
Speaker 7: Aren't the taxpayers legally obligated to educate prisoners who are in for life?
Speaker 2: Yes, to a degree. I mean we have to treat him in a humane way. And there's always this concept of whether or not they get, you know, they get some kind of betterment. The federal rules are going to be a lot different than the state rules. I can tell you in the state prison they pretty mu been over backwards for these guys. What did you have in mind?
Speaker 7: Well, I'm just asking because I've always understood, I mean, working on The Martino Show, we get some people that call in from prison, and a lot of them are you know, have access to law lab law librairies for their own good. And they actually have people that come in and teach them. If they are not versed in the English language, they have teachers that come in and will teach them the English language.
Speaker 2: They'll teach them college courses. You have guys that exactly, you have guys.
Speaker 7: Our taxpayer dollars. So for instance, when you're talking about housing somebody in prison for life, that means we have to also cover three meals a day and all of that education.
Speaker 2: Correct, is not cheap to house a prisoner in any facility, federal or state, state facility because of all those things, I mean just the food cost alone and you know, heating and cooling a prison, hiring guards. It'd be way cheaper if we could put these people, for lack of better terms down right.
Speaker 7: So this guy from Egypt who did this heinous crime, we're going to go ahead and house him for his life.
Speaker 2: So the flip side of that is if you don't want a housing for the rest of his life, and figure out how to how to make him as miserable as possible in a very very small, tiny confined space. Well, you know, the other option is to deport him back to his home country, where again he will see no punishment. I think, uh, you know, when you're when you're considering the lesser of two evils, and I hate to use that term. I think this guy has to go to prison and stay there the rest of his life until some kind of reform happens in our criminal justice system when we start actually handing out the punishment that has deserved this guy has. He has no no purpose on remaining on the face of the planet. In my mind. Now, he'll get a trial, he'll go to court, and we'll go through all those ups and downs and you know, watch these things go back and forth for probably the next couple of years. But ideally this person shouldn't be with us on the planet anymore in my mind, so.
Speaker 7: He's not going to get any sort of The victims, I should say, are not going to get any sort of justice needed.
Speaker 2: No, I mean, the only justice they're going to get is this guy doesn't walk among us amongst us anymore. You have to wonder, you know, what situation are is his family left in did he have other supporters that were you know that are training for the next one. There's just so many loose ends with this. And again to one of the well this this text right here says deportation was set a horrible precedent. How many other terroists would believe they can come commit atrocities on US soil and just go back home, just be deported. I mean, I don't think that's the way we want to handle this. And if there's ever been a time in our nation's history to do some some justice reform, it's in increasing the penalties for terrorist activities, you know, And a lot of these a lot of these statutes were codified. We didn't ever believe we'd be the victim of terrorist activities. We didn't believe in nine to eleven would happen. We didn't believe that someone would walk up to two innocent people in Washington, D c. And shoot am execution style. We didn't believe someone would would light people on fire on the Pearl Street Mall in Boulder, walk into the King Supers and randomly shoot people. But that's the world we live in now, and we haven't adjusted our criminal justice system to deal with that process. So we are our own worst enemy in many ways. And you know, I don't to one of the earlier conversations we were having with a caller, are we really in a position that we know how to deal with these folks if they if they start to get active and go out and do the things that this Muhammad saber soulomon, if there's others out there waiting in the in the weeds or waiting in the shadows, are we prepared to deal with that? And I think the answer is no, But I guess time will tell. I think what we'll do now is we're going to take a quick break. We've got a caller coming on the line. As soon as we come back from break, we'll take that caller. We'll finish out with our remaining texts, and we'll finish out the show on hopefully a couple of high notes. But text Dan five seven, seven, three nine. Start your text with Dan, and then we'll probably have a time for a couple more callers. If you want to call in at three oh three seven, one, three eight, two five five, we'll go to a quick break and we come back, we'll clear off the call lines. You're listening to the Dan Capless show here with well Kenny Shriff Steve Riams filling in his guest host.
Speaker 5: And now back to the Dan Tapless Show podcast, The.
Speaker 2: Dan Capless Show here with well Kunny Shriff Steve Rings. We're finishing out the show with a few phone calls here. I just want to remind everybody we had borders are Tom Homan on at the beginning of the show, and then at the beginning of the second hour we had George Brouckler. So if you want to talk about any of those interviews, uh, those are definitely on the table as well. But we'll go to the call screen here. We got a cap from Lakewood commenting about the Boulder ansident.
Speaker 4: What do you have for us, Captain Hey, good evening, Steve.
Speaker 2: You bet, thanks for coming on.
Speaker 4: Yeah. First of all, I just want to tell you and let's just say I appreciate your services. Thank you, and these these are times that we need it, so thank you. You know that. Yes, yeah, I was just going to make a comment about Boulder situation that you know, we had what was it two and a half years ago at the supermarketing shooting there, and I would have thought that would have been a pretty good wake up call for the city. And my point is that I'm going to make is about a gun. That guy I've already seen something on YouTube about somebody posted that he that he's not a citizen, and uh, you know that may be why he didn't have a gun. You get a gun, But just imagine it. Imagine if he would have had a gun, how bad that would have been. It's so that's my point. It's like, especially it's Pearl Street, it's Pearl Street mall. The only person is probably gonna have a gun might be a security guy well and a long police officer nearby.
Speaker 2: But if I'm not mistaken, I think I think some of the local laws there make Pearl Street a gun free zone. So the law abiding citizens probably weren't carrying one. And this terrorist comes down there with a flamethrower, But you're right, it could have very well been a firearm. And then then how much worse could this have been? Or if you'd even practiced his plan, how much worse could this have been? Yeah, it's scary. You think Boulder would kind of turn the turn directions, but we just keep going down the same path. Cat, thanks for the phone calls.
Speaker 4: The first thing I thought it was Pearl Street. I was like, wait a second, there's probably no guns on Pearl Street.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I think he's not.
Speaker 4: A gun in there. That could have been terrible because it could have taken a long time. I agree with you, actually get him, Yeah, I agree with you. Well, thanks for the phone call. We want to make sure we clear out the rest of them before the show's over. Let's go to Doug and Frederick. He's got a comment about Boulder as well.
Speaker 2: Doug.
Speaker 8: Yeah, how you doing, sir, Thanks for your service, you bet.
Speaker 2: Thank you?
Speaker 8: Yeah. Well, yeah, I live up Primwell County and Frederick, so it might be open to Zoom King Superhero's real nice and it might be a different story in there because you probably have some people carrying well.
Speaker 2: If you want. If you live in my county, you know that. A lot of times you'll see people open carrying and it's pretty regular there.
Speaker 8: Yeah, real quick to wards due process. They keep screaming about due process. Where this is getting us these open borders. It's not just in Colorado and America, it's all over the Western Europe. Everything's been about. It's really globalism against national sovereignty. And that's the way what it comes down to. And the due process is nothing but making a more dangerous world and more dangerous country. We live in a dangerous world. Got to quit playing politics with our national security. The left that is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know the due process coming in was skipped, but we definitely have to afford him due process to get them out of it. And none of it makes sense. But Doug, I appreciate the phone call. In the comments, thank you. You couldn't have been more right on that. We'll clear out with a few of these texts. Here says to quote Silverado, he will get a fair trial followed by a first class hanging. You know, that's probably the way it should be this one. If it's a federal crime, could they seek the death penalty it's a terrorist attack, I would think that should rise to the level. You know, everything that I've researched says unless this person is unless this suspect kills people in a particular way, he's not ever going to be eligible for the death penalty. And I think that's one of the things that makes us all scratch our head. If you seriously maim people or injure people by lighting them on fire, I think you should probably be subjected to the death penalty. Another one here, though, says the rob of that is that these people want to be martyred, so if he is killed for his actions, he'll still be looked at as a as a hero in his own in his own country, or by his family or whomever else supports this god forsaken mess that this guy has committed on these innocent victims. And then this one I'm not sure I can agree with, but it says send him to Israel so they can trade him for their hostages. Well, I think what they believe in in Israel or Gaza now is that any remaining hostages are probably not alive, and if that's the case, I think they should trade him in the same in the same condition. If they want to do a trade, he should not be alive if he's not going to receive live hostages back. You know, I don't know that what the right answer is for this, and time will tell. We're going to watch this thing play out, unfortunately for the coming months and even years, as this mess goes through trial. Despite the fact that it's happening in Boulder, I am glad that there's a very good district attorney there that will seek the right path, and you know we have our federal partners that I think are going to hammer this guy to the fullest extent possible. I want to thank Kelly and Zach behind the glass for making sure this show went off without a hitch despite my ineptitude. But glad you got to join us, Kre, Tom Holman, and George Brockler on the show, and I'll be back tomorrow. We'll have a couple of more special guests here on The Dan Kaplas Show with well Kenny Sheriff Steve Rams as your guest host. Thanks a lot