Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine days.
Speaker 2: Holy crap, I don't know who the hell we think when we are.
Speaker 3: Get off our show. Idiot.
Speaker 2: The kids are playing or trailt. The coaches are screwing it up.
Speaker 1: Gold play Inner Murals, Brother, gold Play Inner Murals.
Speaker 3: They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not. Who's the kid here?
Speaker 1: Who's the kid here?
Speaker 3: Are you kidding me? Now? Here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 4: I am happy to get the show started today and let you guys know that I did survive after four straight days of NonStop basketball. Yesterday was a challenge, but I got through it. And not only am I excited to get this thing started today to take you up until six o'clock, I mean I'm excited for a little fever that's returned. I'm talking about the ni T fever. I've got it. Anybody else have it?
Speaker 3: Is it?
Speaker 2: Is it contagious? Will it spread? A kid?
Speaker 4: We're not gonna talk a lot about the I, but we do have some games tonight that I'm gonna bet on, and just knowing that there's college basketball that I can watch is something I'm really really cherish at this moment, because again, it'll be over before too long, and that makes makes me very sad. But I'm happy to to just mention get the things started today. The thing that I'm referring to is the show. This is a show and it's called Coffee and Company, and we are fueled by Thornton's my name's Nick Coffee, hence the name Coffee and Company. I've got company today as always, the one and only traveled Chief Austin Montgomery alongside running the operation. And we're gonna have some fun. We're gonna mix it up. I did not get into Love is Blind last night, like that we talked about. I'm sure eventually it'll it'll because this is where we really stove. Yeah, so we started some shows I mean here and there over the last few my wife and I have and when basketball's rolling, like we'll get a couple of episodes in and then like abandon it for maybe a month. So last night we ended up finishing the final three episodes of Severance.
Speaker 2: That was that was really good. Seems very popular. I haven't seen that yet. I don't want to.
Speaker 4: Uh well, I'll just share my thoughts really really enjoy the show overall, top to bottom. I think season two was good and and some of the episodes were really great. It just got a little too almost.
Speaker 2: You know, sometimes I.
Speaker 4: Feel like these shows that are really cinematic and.
Speaker 2: Deep, right, like you gotta you gotta really.
Speaker 4: Be playing a Yeah, so like I'm sure more than anything, it's just me not having the capacity upstairs to.
Speaker 2: To really follow and know what's going on.
Speaker 4: Yea, as good as some others, but like there's there's like a line where if you get just if you get to a to a certain spot, like and I'm really into it and I'm realizing what's going on that hooks me and I really love shows like that. Many shows that that I consider my all the time favorites were like that. But then there's somewhere they kind of crossed the line and I'm like, all right, kind of think I know what's going on, but I'm not really sure. So it did get a little bit like that was season two, But overall, really enjoy severance. And then after we finished it, wife, kids go to bed, and uh, it just automatically started playing on Apple TV a new show that I'd never heard of. But I'm already hooked him three episodes in. It's called Dope Thief. It's got Brian Tyree Henry, who has become kind of like a I feel like he's kind of become a star in in the last five years or so.
Speaker 2: Tye.
Speaker 4: So you will know him from Atlanta, the show that I've never watched it, but you know what sure I'm talking about though, Yes, he was Paperboy in Atlanta, which, of course that show Donald Glover's show. So yeah, I mean we probably won't do a whole lot of it. Oh yeah, this guy's been a lot of Yea, he's just trained. I've got some buzz right now. Yeah, he's definitely definitely making some moves. But this is you know, sometimes we occasionally talk some TV talk about what we're streaming, and we'll do that during the off season. But anyways, with no basketball last night, that is what I did. So now that we are just a couple of days away from getting back to it right the Sweet sixteen, I'm continuing to reflect on not Louisville necessarily, but just kind of where we are with college basketball, because you know, I go back and forth as far as balancing. Okay, am I looking at it from just my lens as a college basketball fanatic, or am I you know, Am I able to kind of step away from that and realize that I am in the minority, right, I view college basketball in a different way just because it's my go to. But I think you've got some numbers now that will confirm that, regardless of what it's done to your team, your program. The new world of college athletics with nil on the transfer portal, which basically the players have all.
Speaker 2: The power now right.
Speaker 4: They can go wherever they want, and money will be a big factor in why they go where they go in most instances, and being able to make money, of course, keeps them wanting to play college basketball as long as simply possible, which is why you see guys playing for a fifth or sixth year. You got some guys entering the portal that have no eligibility. They're just going to enter a waiver and see if they if they can get away with it, I guess, because why go start a career doing something other than basketball if you could play in college another year and put away some money. So I think college basketball specifically, all this talk about, well, there's no Cinderella and it's just so hard for the lower levels. Well, that's true, but the product of college basketball overall has benefited from this. And it's not just because you know, I'm sitting here telling you that it's better. Because the better players, even though they're not NBA players, they're good players. They stick around, The products better, the games are better. I mean, all that's true, But the numbers, I mean throughout the first two weekends, the first two rounds of the tournament, the viewership through the second round, Yeah, this is this is from Turner, So, STNT Sports and CBS Sports delivered NCAA tournament's best viewership since nineteen ninety three. So viewership did the second round on TBS, CBS, TNT and True TV was averaging nine point four million viewers, the most watched tournament in thirty two years. I mean, I think that's the proof there.
Speaker 2: Oh that's how old I am. So this is the most watched tournament since you've been alive. That's crazy, and it's crazy to think. It's nice to know that Louisville was back in the dance. For you being back alive is obviously because of Lowell.
Speaker 4: Clearly, Yeah, that's what it is. So you know, I I think that's a good thing.
Speaker 2: It's a good sign.
Speaker 4: It makes me feel a little bit better about you know, I'm not worried about like the future of college basketball, but I do think points that were made by the casuals as far as well, it's gonna lose its intrigue if in fact, you don't get any more Cinderella's out there, well maybe, but people are still watching. I mean, they tuned in to see something that didn't end up happening. So like maybe if we get a few years into this where there's no big there's no real Cinderella in the second weekend, then maybe you see a drop off. But I think if the product, if the product is continuing to be the level that it's at right now, it can maintain. I mean, I think that's I mean, I think college basketball is going to.
Speaker 2: Be in good shape.
Speaker 4: So again, I'm we're always gonna love it. But as far as how the rest of the world perceives it, we can't really control that, right, We're just I mean, we can do about it. However, it is good for the overall health of college basketball. If you get more and more people that aren't gonna maybe be obsessed with it like we are, but just it's it's part of the rotation. It's something they follow, they have interest in. I mean, that's better for everybody. And I know that the Portal and NIL has really put lower level programs. And I'm not just talking about like the Bellerman's I'm talking about, like, let me give you an example, because I think this is really an example of where we are. You've got a team that played in the National Championship Game two years ago, San Diego State. They lost in the National Championship Game to Yukon. I mean, that's not a Cinderella, But I gotta be honest with you, that year San Diego State and FAU being in the final four, I kind of forget that happened, you know, the Kenny Payne air. For me as a Louisville fan, it's kind of a blur. But I mean, you know, I remember that those two teams both made that kind of a run, but it's not something that really stands out, and it actually seems like it was a long time ago. But San Diego State's a team that I mean, they're not I mean, they're Mountain West, right. I mean, if the Pac twelve survived and they added a team San Diego State, maybe the first team they would add. I mean they're not like a nobody, but they also just don't have like I mean, it's really a culture thing in the West Coast, especially in a city like San Diego. Like think about how think about where San Diego State thet think about where the San Diego State Aztec's rank as far as like importance, priority interest, because we're talking about San Diego, California maybe the most beautiful place in the world according to some, So there's not as much passion. Therefore there's not there's not as much history with you know, rich people that are willing to put up a lot of money to make sure you have a good roster. So San Diego State like this, this has to suck. As a San Diego State fan. The starters for that team, Lamont Butler, he's now Kentucky. Kashaw Johnson transferred last year played at Arizona. I mean, Nick Boyd, I'm pretty sure he transferred.
Speaker 2: If that's who I think it is, let me see.
Speaker 4: If that's who I think it is, I think he transferred fau which is kind of odd, but nonetheless, like you've got. Let me give you another example of this is probably the best example to use of FAU. Like FAU made a Final four, right, and that was insane, And they actually brought those guys back the next year, and money was a factor. But like they're in Boca Raton, they had a bunch of people throwing money saying, hey.
Speaker 2: It's cool, we got a good basketball.
Speaker 4: Team now, I mean, to be fair, they did throw some money at Dusty May for that year following his Final four run, and they threw some money at these players to keep that team together that made a Final four. And then of course, you know after that one year after their you know, their what do you call it when when a band comes back out after the show ends to do one more song? What is that called? Austin, you're supposed to know this? What was that when a band comes back out after doing a song after finishing the show to do one more OnCore? Yeah, so they brought it back for an encore. Dusty May back for another year. This whole team's back, and then of course, you know, Dusty magos to Michigan and the main players from that team go.
Speaker 2: To the portal.
Speaker 4: So just think about this if you're FAU you had the Final four team in twenty twenty three. Here we are in twenty twenty and your three best players from that team are now playing elsewhere and they're in the Sweet sixteen. I mean, Vlad Golden is at Michigan with Dusty May.
Speaker 2: You've got John L.
Speaker 4: Davis with Caliperiot Arkansas, and then who was it?
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 4: Who was the guy he was at Asian Martin who's now at Florida. Yeah, I mean, I'm sorry Elijah Martin. I mean he's now one of Florida's best players.
Speaker 2: So just to like have it, I.
Speaker 4: Mean it put yourself in the shoes of an FAU fan. If you know an FAU fan, right, I mean, I don't know anybody that's like, yeah, I'm a big fan of the Owls, Like I just don't you know, I don't know anybody that's an FAU fan. But just imagine you were an FAU fan and that's how it played out for you, right where you have this miraculous run and then now you've got to watch those guys playing in the you know, in the second weekend, maybe in the Final four for a different program. Like I don't think that kind of stuff will ever happen to us around here, because you're gonna lose players. You're gonna lose players that you want to keep. But the notion of like you making final fours and then those guys moving on because they want to go higher, I mean, yeah, there's always gonna be programs that maybe in any given year you could say is a higher, is a step up, because maybe they're better. But if here's the thing, if anybody, if Louisville, Kentucky, Indiana, if they're going to final fours around here, there's gonna be money.
Speaker 2: Out there to keep these guys where they are.
Speaker 4: In fact, even if you're not going to final fours, I still think the programs around here will will have a better ability to round up funds to keep good players that everybody knows you want to keep around. So I know we've said it many times, and hell, we talked about it a lot yesterday. But now that we get to the second weekend, I mean, the way in which this whole sport works is way different. And I don't need to remind you guys Louisville benefited from this. We in no way can claim that, you know, we're not we don't like the new world here. I mean you can and.
Speaker 2: If the overall you know, if your overall.
Speaker 4: Thought is that you preferred it better when players couldn't transfer, and that for whatever reason, I don't know that you like to watch them play knowing they're not getting paid. I mean, you can have that opinion, and it's your opinion. Nobody's right or wrong. But Louisville without question was able to benefit from this because you have when you were able to get rid of Kenny Payne after two years and start all over, and in the first year you had a brand new team, all new pieces from top to bottom, staff, personnel, players, and we got to see that you can quickly turn it around with a good coach that's you know, knows what he's doing and it's going to work at it, which, by the way, real quick, I don't want to get too sidetracked here, but I did just see one of will Wade's comments at his introductory press conference yesterday. Quote, this is going to be this is not going to be a rebuild. Next year, We're going to be in the top half of the ACC. We're going to be in the NAA Tournament. We're going to win. I mean, just think about I mean think about I mean, that's that really doesn't even stand out to me is some type of wild thing to say, But just to know that we had a bum here for a couple of years that absolutely like made every excuse whenever he didn't even have like the he didn't even have the the real I mean, he didn't have any self awareness or I guess maybe the brain to realize that you're saying things that like even nobody believes that, like it's nonsense.
Speaker 2: So anyways, not to get too side tracked on.
Speaker 4: That, but what's got me kind of you know, I guess feeling a little guilty is you know, I watch a lot of lower level basketball, not like it consumes my life, but I'll probably watch a lot more than the average college basketball fan.
Speaker 2: One because I love it.
Speaker 4: Also because I like to bet on it, you know, and I do like to get there's something kind of like I don't know when it comes to let me give you an example. I'm sure a lot of you have like music. Maybe it's bands, artists, groups, I don't know, rappers, whatever that you know you're in early right, you are there before they blow up. You kind of hope maybe they don't blow up because you want to kind of keep it your thing. You want to be a gatekeeper a little bit. That's kind of how I am with like mid major college basketball. Like it's not something you know, I can throw out to brag about. It certainly doesn't make me cool in any way, but like I follow the Missouri Valley Conference, I follow the MAC probably more than the average, and it's just something I enjoy but begaining. Again, I don't say that to brag. It's not anything worth bragging about, but like those programs in this new world, like it's a different thing for them now. Meaning if you're a coach that's going to get a job at one of those places, you probably need to sell recruits, especially talented freshmen, because I feel like it's gonna be hard for true freshmen to get on the floor. I mean you occasionally you're gonna have somebody that you realize was like way better than you thought and they're going to have a great season. And then you're gonna have guys like Cooper Flag the kid at Texas. I mean, there's some really good freshmen out there that were top ten players VJ. Edgecomb was phenomenal at Baylor this year, So you're gonna have those guys. But like if you're if you're like outside the top twenty, you're probably still gonna have a lot of offers and be able to go wherever you want if you're low five star and then a four star. But like you may be better off to go play at a mid major and put up big numbers and then hit the portal, and like that's when you walking into a big role. Like I just think the path to get to the high level playing deep in the tournament for a good team, a good brand. I just think, you know, it wasn't the ideal when these guys the guys. And this is another thing that I just think is wild. This there's a map that somebody put out there on Twitter. The Yeah, the Twitter account is NCAA Buzzer Beaters, So I'll just retweet it. If you're following me at the card Connect, you'll see it. But I mean it is wild because it gives you the star. It gives you the starting lineup of every team that's in the Sweet sixteen, and it doesn't give you which team it is. But there's five spots. So it gives you the we're each starter for each Sweet sixteen team started playing their college basketball career, and they don't even tell you which team it is. I can decipher which which team, which which certain teams are because it's it's relatively easy. But like Purdue is the only school that has five starters in the Sweet sixteen that all started their career there. And again that's because they're rare, right, Like they're they're different. Matt Painter's just got a way of going about it and it works. Tom Izzo's got four of five starters, same thing, old school. He's had to make some adjustments, but he's he's kind of you know, he's somebody that really hasn't done a whole lot different now than he.
Speaker 2: Did before all this stuff started.
Speaker 4: Do Duke's rare as well, because they've got i mean, they're Duke, they don't lose many players often to transfer, so they've got four out of five. Other than that, you got a mixed bag. I mean, I'm pretty sure this is I mean, look at look at look at our Arkansas. Here's their starters Tennessee, Missouri, Arkansas, fau in Kentucky. That that's where the starting five to four Arkansas started their career. And then you look and then you can look at I'm pretty sure this is is this Kentucky's. Yeah, Kentucky has Drexel, Delaware, Dayton, Oklahoma, and San Diego State. So what I'm getting at is that wasn't the plan when those guys started college, because when those guys started college, it was a different world. Right, we didn't have this what it is now. In fact, I mean I'm trying to for some reason, I always lose. I I don't know exactly when it was that everything just changed because it was kind of a slow build. Right first, first you had I mean I remember when NIL happened. But as far as like the transfer portal, it became a thing where you could get like a waiver if you graduated and had a year left, and then you could do like the one time transfer, or you could transfer because your coach left. And then slowly, over time it just became an absolute free for all, which is where it is right now. So I just think if you are a young high school if you're a kid coming out of high school, you know you may have a decent entry level NIL deal at a power five school that is too tough to pass up, and you may just believe that you're good enough to wear Hey, regardless of who they're bringing in the portal, I'm gonna be good enough to where I'm gonna get real minutes and it's going to be you know, and and it'll all work out.
Speaker 2: But look around the country right now. All these guys that have been.
Speaker 4: To the portal since it opened up yesterday, a lot of them are guys that were highly regarded freshmen to an extent that just couldn't get on the floor a whole lot early on. And it doesn't mean they're bad, it's just because that's hard to do now because so many older players stick around and play college basketball. So I'm just that's the one thing we've yet to see. But it won't shock me if over time we get there. And what I mean is that the everybody but the top tier of high school recruits, not everybody, but the majority of them start to just understand the path for me to get to a to get to a program where I'm a factor and I'm playing, you know, in the sweet sixteen. For teams like Duke, Texas Tech, Arkansas, Michigan, State, Kentucky, Tennessee, Auburn, Purdue, Houston. I mean, if you want to see yourself as a impact player at a place like that, Again, there's different paths to do it, but I kind of feel like if you look at the guys that are there now, like you may be better off start and low level and then and honestly, this is what's gonna this is what's got to drive's what got to drive coaches crazy. Is that like you could be the school that finds, you know, that gets the kid from the low level D one that jumps up as a sophomore after average and twenty a game as a freshman, but then like if he doesn't work out or you know, maybe money's not where at where you needed to be, they go elsewhere. I mean, are there's we've now hit a point where guys entering the portal today and yesterday, and I'm sure there'll be hundreds of more that do it. You can absolutely play four for four, Like there's guys that are going to be playing four years at four different schools and that's I think that'll still be the exception, but I don't know, maybe not. So Again, what I feel bad about is you know, those lower level schools like this is going to be nearly impossible for them to really, you know, thrive with any sustainability, because the second you become really good at a at a mid major type program, I mean that all that is is just inviting. I mean it's bringing attention to where there's going to be tampering and those players are going to be influenced to potentially leave. And I just think your best bet, easier said than done, is just embrace it and start and start realizing, Okay, we may be the schools that have more turnover than anybody, but that could be a good thing. It's because if everybody wants our guys. You know, if every year we're losing our top three players to the Power Power five, it's probably because we're doing something good and you're just gonna have to.
Speaker 2: Reload and reload.
Speaker 4: And I think if you show the ability as a coach to do that consistently, then I think that would make you more attractive to other jobs out there. Right Hey, this person, man, they're already having to deal with this reset every year and managing different personalities, different egos every single season.
Speaker 2: Well, if you know.
Speaker 4: That's always going to be the case in college basketball overall. But if you're at a top job or a better job, you'll have better resources to potentially keep players that are successful, right, You'll have money to give them through anil that kind of stuff. So anyways, I don't want to I didn't want to nerd out too much on just where we are here in college hoops. But it is fascinating to see, and that's all of all the different facts and stats that have been shared, to see where every starter in the sweet sixteen started their career compared to where they are today. I mean that to me is the best visual as far as don't think that you can't have success by going and getting guys that started their career where.
Speaker 2: Their games weren't on TV.
Speaker 4: They were on ESPN Plus or something like that, or or was it we were talking about yesterday flow Sports whatever that network was that was airon CBI games yesterday. I avoided trying to look for that. I'd have been a real junkie. At least I have felt like one. If I'm out here trying to find an online illegal fee to watch the CBI First Round games in Daytona Beach on something called flow Sports but anyways, quick Break will come back, keep it rolling long, taking you up till six o'clock. It's coffee and Company we are fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 4: That's right, coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety. You don't forget to sign up. If you have yet to become a member of the Thornton's Refreshing Awards.
Speaker 2: Program, you'll be happy that you did.
Speaker 4: If you want to join us on the show, five O two five seven one seventy nine hundred is the number we've got bone lines open now. And if you want to text in on the Ellen and Federal Credit Union text line, five oh two four three eight nine zero seven three again five oh two four three eight ninety seventy three. That is the Ellen and Federal Credit Union text line. This text says, Nick, I think the more that we bring up the things that Kenny Payne said makes those that hired him look even more foolish. He never even told us he wanted to win, or that he was going to win. I mean, I don't agree with you as far as like looking foolish, and maybe you're right, it's just I have a hard time. I'm really two things. I have a hard time being so over the top critical about making the decision to hire him because from you know, from my perspective, and again I'm I'm not qualified to hire a coach. There's so much that goes into it that I don't know. However, I would have done the same thing, just you know, given who else was out there that was apparently in the mix board at the time, and I was willing to just accept, you know, we don't need to go down that path.
Speaker 2: But you know, the.
Speaker 4: Scenario where it worked out, I mean, all the things that you thought made up for the fact that he'd never been a head coach clearly.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't think there's ever been a coach that didn't get.
Speaker 4: The job here at Louisville more than him, and he played here, So you know, yes, and no, I don't mean I don't think anybody's looking back thinking that, you know, Like I mean, again, if you if you still have issues with it in the contract, because in the contract was something that I've never understood. But again, I'm willing to admit I don't have a clue how that works.
Speaker 2: I'm not a lawyer.
Speaker 4: I don't know what you have to do in order to, you know, to get him here. But him getting the contract he got after never being a head coach and having that kind of a buy out, that just seems insane. But again, I'm sure there's more to it, I'll than I'll ever know. But yeah, you to your point. He never told us he was gonna win, right, He just wanted to buy time and tell us about how broken things were and that it's gonna you know, it's gonna be a process and culture and all this and that. And we guess we just didn't listen to him. Maybe we just thought he was, you know, doing coach speak. But coach speak this day and age is a little different than it used to be. And if you're wondering why that came up, Will Wade at his press conferences, he's introduced as the next head coach at NC State. You know, he said, we're gonna you know, this is not a rebuild. We're gonna compete in the top half of the ACC We're gonna be the NCAA tournament we're gonna win. I mean, that's what he said from the jump, and that's really what Pat Kelsey said, to be honest with you. I don't think he was out there claiming this and that as far as where you'll finish in the league and making the NCAA tournament. But I mean, bet Kelsey clearly showed up here with a real confidence in his formula as far as how to be successful and win as a college basketball coach, and so far he's been able to deliver on that. And I don't think, you know, the days of really just selling low acting as if man, it's going to be really tough.
Speaker 2: We'll see. We're not even really worried about how many games we win. We just trying to get better. I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I just feel like the aspect of college sports that is now professional like that's just lame to do. And I don't think that's a good thing for anybody in any way, right, Like, you want to win, you want to compete, and the quick ability to bounce back from a bad season or whatever is there for everybody. So any coach out there using the platform to try to buy time to win, that's just I think that's a foolish way to go about it.
Speaker 2: All right, let's talk about the Louisville Men's Clinic.
Speaker 4: Fellas, You're foolish if you don't at least give them a chance to see if they can help you.
Speaker 2: They helped me.
Speaker 4: For years, I didn't know that I needed help, but then I learned, Okay, maybe low testosterone is why I've lost my edge and why I'm no longer getting the same results that I used to get at the gym. Maybe the man boobs are a product of that. Maybe you know the flab in the mid section. I mean, part of me just said, well, hey, that's you know, your metabolism is changing. You're not twenty three and you're more year thirty three. But what I didn't realize is that you lose testosteron the older you get. And when you get a little bit older, you know, in your mid to late thirties, you start to lose it a little bit more each and every year, and it can have an impact on you, and it did on me, and I just the reason this is such a natural endorsement for me is because one it's real, and I've never promoted a product or a service that I don't feel strongly about And there's a reason why we've had partners that have been around for many, many years, because that's how that's how it works. Man's got to be something genuine people can sense if you're BS and or not right at least I think they can. So it wasn't just that they helped me, but I know that there are others out there in my age range that have probably never even thought about do I have a low testosterone because they probably think it has something to do with your you know, with your sexual experience, and it's not. I mean, it can it can decrease the sex drive if you don't have testosterone levels where they need to be, and that's not a good thing, right, So I mean, again, I know, I know, I'm sure this is a small group, but I can't be the only one who just kind of assuming people would talk about low T and ED that they were kind of talking about the same thing and they're not at all. But if you do have ED, I'm sure you know about it. That's probably not something you can you can run from. You may want to be you know, you may be in denial, but they can help you. So again, Louisvill Men's Clinic dot Com is the website Fibo two four four four four thousand is the number when it comes to a rectile dysfunction, low testosterone, weight loss, there be hair restoration. They can help you fellas again Louisville men Clinic dot Com. I went to the gym today, first time I've been in about a week. Nice to break a sweat again and get and get the you know, get the get the juices going. And it hit me whenever I was leaving the gym today, Oh yeah, I'm on vacation next week. I'm I'm gonna be I'm gonna be in Florida. And I don't even know if I've told you that, Austin. No, now you know, so uh awesome. Yeah, well it it works out well because I just gets, I mean, I get so caught up in this time of year and really the build up to it, because to me, my calendar years are not January to December. It's more so like I'm you know, I'm in season. I'm on if you will when it comes to football starting until about derby time and then you know, the off season for me is the spring and summer months as we wait for football, right, so because you know the climax was building, right, we're about to get to March madness. Yeah, it just it absorbed me for the last few weeks, especially with Louisville being a part of it again, to where I kind of forgot that I put in, you know, many months ago, that I was going to be off next week for spring break.
Speaker 2: It's good timing, yeah, And it's.
Speaker 4: It's kind of like there's a level of spontaneousness to it, right because like I hadn't been thinking about it. Usually if you're waiting for vacation, you're you're waiting, and it's it's like, you know.
Speaker 2: It's going by the summer months.
Speaker 4: It's going by super slow, right, Like you know you're thinking, oh my gosh, I still got a month to go before I get to go to a beach. But for me, now it's here and I'm scrambling to make sure I, you know, get everything in order before I get out of town.
Speaker 2: That's good, You've earned it. I well, I appreciate that.
Speaker 4: And I get out of town and we're going to Navarre Beach, which I've never been before. It's relatively close to Destin. I think, which I'm very familiar with. So, but we are driving, and that scares me because yeah, we're driving and you know, like eleven hours, ten eleven hours, I think close to ten. But we'll like on the way there, we plan to split it up because I mean driving, and even if I was by myself, I'm not somebody that would look forward to in a ten to eleven hour drive, Like to me, that would be awful. Uh So, I mean I could do it, but like, you know, if I could split it up and still have a fun experience traveling, That's what I'll do. So we planned on leaving early Saturday morning and stopping you know, and like I think Birmingham has like a really well known zoo, so we were going to stop there. That sounds fun and go to the zoo with the kids and then get up Sunday morning and and you know, bright and early and get there and check in. But my wife, you know, she's a hard ass, She's already thinking, well, I think we should we get up there this early. We can just probably go all the way there. We're meeting a bunch of friends, so like there's a huge group of us going with with all of our kids, so that'll, you know.
Speaker 2: So, but I just may leave a day early.
Speaker 4: Just she's always got confidence. God bless her that. I just don't know why she has confidence and when what I'm talking about is she's like confident that we're not gonna have issues with screaming kids in the car.
Speaker 2: And you know from my form, my son, you know.
Speaker 4: He'll he'll he'll be okay, he'll get lost in his tablet. But even then, you know, Moose gets restless and he'll get to wine in I mean, I sometimes forget that he's still a four year old because he only a lot of his cousins and a lot of my friend's kids that he hangs out with, they're all like seven eight, and I kind of just lump everybody together in the kid range. But like there's a big difference in being a four year old and being a seven year old, right, so you know, he does kind of wine sometimes and act like a baby more so than his cousins and his and his peers and friends, because you know what, they're a lot older than him.
Speaker 2: But anyways, he'll be fine.
Speaker 4: But like my daughter, she's she's autistic and intellectually disabled, So longer car rides where she's just you know, I mean, if we can get her a sleep, that'd be great. But like we're gonna have to break the trip up. So sure, now I'm stressing about the travel down there.
Speaker 2: If she's gonna be.
Speaker 4: Hard headed and say nope, we're going all the way, I'm gonna be like, come on, we should stop, Like we should stop because.
Speaker 2: Like you got to meet me in the middle.
Speaker 4: I yes, exactly, because here's here's my line, and I'm gonna deliver that. I think will will will get me to a point that she'll understand like, yeah, you're right.
Speaker 2: Like the line in your TikTok, it's always a good one to drop. Yeah, I may not. I may not not for this case.
Speaker 4: Yeah, not for this case. But it's always there. If you know, it's always holistered, it's always there, and it's always one little surpriser. But if we go, if we drive all the way there and we and we make it a long long drive because I mean any drive with kids, even if they're well behaved, I mean, they're gonna stop the pee, they're gonna want to eat, So like we're gonna have some stops.
Speaker 2: So long they're gonna be trapped inside the vehicle.
Speaker 4: So let's say a ten hour drive turns into eleven to eleven and a half just because of our stops and whatnot. And even with that, I mean, there's no scenario like it's a perfect trip to where we aren't restless. I mean, I hope my kids will be perfect, but I just know that's not reality. That's not reality. So like, I don't want to arrive on no rest. You know, been in the car since four am. We're all sick of each other. Like there's nothing worse than a arriving to vacation, getting there and being in a bad mood because the travel experience sucked, your flight was delayed, all that kind of stuff. So I just I I'd rather stop and have a night.
Speaker 2: Before we get there. But you should pitch that.
Speaker 4: I usually I'm gonna I'm gonna try to, but you know, oftentimes she gets her way, and that's probably best for everybody.
Speaker 2: What's the longest that you've you've driven in a car? Man, straight through.
Speaker 4: Probably probably like New York City? I mean, how far is that of a drive? I feel like that's the furthest.
Speaker 5: But I don't think that that's somewhere around like maybe fourteen hours. I'm gonna go around and say fourteen to fifteen hour drive from here.
Speaker 2: It's not that far, not that far, No, I mean, this is me twelve.
Speaker 4: I'm trying, so New York to Louisville as far as drive and this is just a quick Google search eleven hours and fifty five minutes, Okay, So I would say that's probably the furthest. However I've gone to. Yeah, that's the furthest because I've I have driven to. I have family that lives in Arkansas, and that's a really long drive as well. But I don't think it's quite quite twelve hours. Yeah, I mean, so let's see. Yeah, never mind, it's easily in New York City. And that kind of makes me realize I haven't actually done the real road trip that I want to do, because I've always loved the thought of being able to just get in the car and driving, not necessarily with no destination in mind, but just you know, cross country kind of thing, not to where we're you know, and it's not about spending a ton of time in the car. It's about doing like five hours this day, six hours the next day and just kind of stopping where you end up and experiencing whatever is there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like you said road trip, Yes.
Speaker 4: Something about like a spontaneous road trip like that is something I'll always always want to do, but try to do for my thirtieth birthday, wife talked me out of it. Now I'm going to be thirty seven. I mean, i gotta do it at some point or I'm gonna yeah, or I'm gonna get old enough to where it's no longer going to seem cool to me. Right, I'm gonna think now I'm too old.
Speaker 2: For that now. I think as you get older, you'll want to keep doing it more. Yeah, and they'll be more.
Speaker 4: It'll be more of something that I've just built up to where like, all right, you got to do it.
Speaker 5: And then you'll really get into your like you'll develop into the final boss dad stage and say that you we we need to get an RV and that's yeah, and then you start thinking about it. Then you start going to the boat and RV show, well, RV life, huh, and then you like or a little camper like, hey, maybe we could do so.
Speaker 2: My stepdad used to do that all the time.
Speaker 4: So like, think about the dad that is playing you know a guy that's playing the dad in the r V commercial. Yes, all the stuff you see him doing. I can't do any of that. I'm not on the grill. I'm not you know, I'm not building. I'm not building the campfire where we set up the RV. I mean either I'm glamp life. You know what I'm saying. Glamp life.
Speaker 2: Maybe if you press a button and all of that just happens.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I'm sure with the with the latest technology and the new RVs that we're just here at the boat and RV show.
Speaker 2: I'm sure, sweet, Sure there's just buttons you hit and it sets it up for you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, pretty sweet. Quick break, We got to take a time. I will come back a lot more to get into before we get out of here at six o'clock. I mean, all kinds of names that you're probably familiar with, their hitting the transfer portal. Another player that has some strong Pat Kelsey connections that's available.
Speaker 2: So we'll talk a.
Speaker 4: Lot about that and more as we get said for the Sweet sixteen coming up in just a couple of days. It's coffee and company fuel about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 4: So we do have an update with the Yukon sid who if you remember, we talked about it yesterday and I'm sure it sounded like I was making a bigger deal of it than it than it needed to be. I just I think the comment made by the Yukon sid Bobby Mullen telling a reporter he was going to ruin his life if he didn't delete the video of Dan Hurley really, you know, showing us that he's Dan Hurley.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's just that's insane behavior.
Speaker 4: So I guess he ended up realizing that the reporter who got the video, who's I guess his livelihood was threatened, right He said he was going to ruin his life if he didn't remove the video. His name is joey Ellis and he put this out earlier Today's It's just a quick and hopefully final update. Bobby Mullen and I spoke a short time ago during which he apologized for his behavior. I accepted it, and life rolls on. I mean, I'm surprised he apologize, to be honest with you, because when it comes to the person that would hold him accountable as far as you know, realizing, Okay, this is probably one of the worst looks as far as just optics that we could have. It would probably be you know, Dan Hurley, and Dan Hurley probably feels again he's probably playing victim for Bobby Mullen, like Dan Hurley plays victim for himself whenever he acts like a lunatic and people, you know, react to him acting like a lunatic. So I'm sure it'll be you know, it's all in the past now, but still just something that can't believe happened. Something else that I've got to be honest, Cannell Leave, it's happening, but it just sucks. You know. We talked earlier in the show about just what the new world of college athletics has done to the lower level. And you have a team that just played an NCAA tournament last week. In the play in game, Saint Francis, they fell to Alabama State. Alabama State, if you remember, had that that Latner looking kind of play at the end of their game to hold on and win. Well. Saint Francis, that was their last game as a Division One team, because they're now making them move from D one to D three, which that's something you only do if you have to write like that's that's I mean that they can't. I mean not alone, Not only can can Saint Francis not compete with schools when it comes to nil and just resources in general. I mean when it comes to revenue sharing. I mean that's going to change their existence, right, I mean the revenue that they get, what little revenue they get from whatever league they're in and whatever contract they have with a network. I mean, you're not going to be able to share twenty million. But like, if you still want to get players at the Division one level, you can't tell them, yes, we're going to be one of the few schools that doesn't share any revenue because again you don't. I don't think you necessarily have to. You can share up to a certain amount. But anyways, their athletic director tells Front Office Sports that the school has been concerned about the student athlete experience for many years now, and then of course goes on to mention that, you know, we're about to have a bigger change than we've ever had in college sports with the schools actually paying players directly, not because of performance but just because of revenue share as far as how much money is made from college athletics, and really it comes down to football makes a lot of money, Basketball, a handful of programs generate revenue directly, and then of course college BASKETB the n DOABA makes a ton of money, makes their money as far as their existence from the n DOAA tournament. So D three to D one, D one to D three, that's quite the drop. But you're probably gonna see other schools do the same thing because it's just the changes have led to them. It's just not it's not a they're not compatible to be Division one schools anymore. And honestly, that may be like it may sound like, it may sound.
Speaker 2: Sad, and it is, but.
Speaker 4: Like Bellerman, like Bellerman to me, was completely fine and content being D two and then the opportunity presented itself, and obviously timing was awful for them because they made the jump and now it's to the point where they're gonna have a tough time. I mean it's gonna be tough for them. And had they known where we were headed with college athletics, I don't think they could have responsibly made the decision to go to Division one, but you can still like D one is such as somebody who dreamed of being a Division and basketball player growing up, and obviously that was that was a dream, not reality by any means. You know, there's there's so many Division one schools and that that that's such a it's put up on such a pedestal to get to that level, which is a special thing. I mean, if you've made it to being a Division one scholarship player, like that's amazing, especially in basketball becau it's hard to do. But if your Division two and you're still getting school paid for, and maybe you still have some level of nil because it does exist, it's certainly a smaller number at the D two level nai all that kind of stuff, like it may just be better cause again, like what do you add? I guess the real benefit of being even the lowest level of D one is to win your conference tournament and get to be in the tournament, Like that's such a special thing. But outside of that, like I just don't know if it's worth it, to be honest with you, And if you're really good at the D two level, like you have your own tournament and you know, it's still a great experience, I would imagine. So it sounds sad to think about, but it may be better for everybody involved if some of these types of schools do kind of read the room here as college athletics is changing so much and just say, look, we need to be a D two or D three or maybe an AI. So again I don't think Sain Francis will be the last one to do it, but again just they played in the tournament less than a week ago. Now they're falling back two spots. All right, quick break, we've got two hours left. We'll get to the text line coming up here on the other side. Also, you can give us a call if you'd like. Five two five seven seventy nine the number. It's coffee and Company fuel about Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety