Speaker 1: Welcome back to Eve Sports Radio. Welcome back. It is May the twenty third, twenty twenty five. It's Friday. Of course, I just thought it was appropriate to start it with a song honoring the falling great Ones for Memorial Day. I was telling my younger son Anthony and George were on the other line, William or Leland, I've got a new producer today, Welcome back. Bring on the host of today because I'm not going to stay on George. Good morning, Anthony, good morning.
Speaker 2: Morning.
Speaker 1: You got it. I'm gonna get out of here two way. But George and I always do this, Anthony, so I just wanted to bring you in. But guys, we know I was telling Anthony this morning, George, he's known all his family members that served. He just didn't know him like I did, and like you have right because you know, we haven't been in that situation. From his uncle Carrie, to my dad, to all my dad's brothers, to my mother's father, to all my mother's brothers, to my uncle Dip, who was a Green Beret, who was one of the Great's Purple Heart. His name is miss mister Evans. Stanley Evans's dad, Millicin's dad with Fern Creek Purple Heart. Just so people know I understand what this holiday is about. We have a lot of great ones Christmas, of course, Easter, but this one does mean something. Guys, so I wanted to wish you all a great show. I'm stepping out, George. If you talk about me, I'll come back on. I just want you to know that, George.
Speaker 2: It's no bad thing about you. He's no bad thing about you. Man. I'm looking forward to doing the show and then he Man.
Speaker 1: I know, I let you know what. I can't let you have all the fun, George.
Speaker 2: No, I know, man, good you want anyway? You know? I mean, I had so many good jokes for you today. Man, I feel feel bad. I'll save them yourself anyway.
Speaker 1: YouTube William take care of him, Jerry Eves. I've got things I have to do today.
Speaker 2: Love you too, My brother Peter.
Speaker 3: Don't listen to him, folst What he what He's what He's What He's really just saying today is he's gonna go to the golf range, work on a swing for about two and a half hours, come over lunch and take a nap on the couch.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 4: He goes through days.
Speaker 3: More than the NBA players. Does I love giving him a hard time about it. Don't ask about how he played Despinay George, because he's swear up and down that he was just steal my brother's money left and right out there on the golf course. He's played horrible the first four holes and the next thing you know, he was just stealing money out of his pocket.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know because when we play in person, I've yet to see that in those performances in person. But when he does play with my brother, I won't deny. I think he does play better. I don't think he plays a good when I play with him. I don't know what it is.
Speaker 2: You may have an intimidating you know, he gets a little scared of you. As I'm saying, intimidation. You know what I mean. You got it, you got him running. You know what I mean. I think I think you won't get my back. I think Frankie gives him a break. You know what I'm saying. I think you go all out. You want to destroy it.
Speaker 3: I don't like to lose, but you know, in golf, I will say I probably the one sport I've lost more than My entire life is in golf because I'm a slightly above average. It's not the same as basketball. That's why I can control it a little bit more.
Speaker 2: Golf I can't.
Speaker 3: That's kind of sometimes it's working. Sometimes I'm the worst golfer on the planet.
Speaker 2: But that's why I didn't play golf. Man, Now, I would be bankrupt because, like you say, I'm competitive as heck, and if I get out there and I start losing, I'd be out there with them balls sitting every day. So I'm just glad I don't have that bug at all.
Speaker 3: Well, somebody I didn't want to get into, I think that this is more of your out. I think it was yesterday. Today is the fiftieth anniversary of the Kentucky Colonels to feeding the Indiana Pacers and the ABA Championships. Players that were on that team. I know they had artist Gilmore dan Issel and Louis dan Pere. You should be just a little bit about those players because I wasn't even alive on the Cuty Turtles who were around, so I have no idea about them. I know you know more information.
Speaker 2: Than I did, right right, right, well, and now I'm gonna tell you what's ironic. They were going to recreate the A B A here in Louisbroe and around the country. And at that time when they were going to recreate it, and I was fortunate enough to be named the general manner of the new team that we were gonna bring to Louisville, even though it didn't come up come about as we wanted to, but I was fortunate enough to get the name of the m v P. I got to go to their fiftieth anniversary with artists gil Moore, Dan Lseel, Royan Thomas uh Uh. I got mentioned my boy Allan Muffin from the University of Louisville. He got to play on that. Jimmy Dan Conners was on that. But Louis Dam I mean, you know, and what made it so good You had a lot of local presents on that team, you know what I mean. And it was a heck of a league. And they were the one who started the three point content, I mean really the three point line man. And they had a red, white and blue ball which all attention. They had Doctor j in the league. It was a phenomenal league. Uh. The iceman George Gervin, some of the best players that moved over from the ABA to the NBA was during that time. Man, But it was. It was a phenomenal time. And I liked it because you had two different leagues and that's that was a rival were within itself. You know. We used to play out at Crawl for gym and it was so funny because Rich brig and then would be out there and the NBA ball players would be players, and they would tell them, Man, we don't play with no red, white and blue ball, you know what I mean. So, but it was a great time, man, And the ball players they were lively and uh, I'll tell you a great study that I loved. Man, when back then they would just buy the ball players, right. So, Moses Malone was one of the big time high school ball players. And that's Semester dab too. And they allowed high school ball players to go pro. You know, they were the first to do that.
Speaker 3: I don't even I don't I don't remember what year they stopped it to where high school players you can go straight professionally. Now I know they kind of they kind of go around the circles of it. Now, a lot of people were either play in a little bit. They were playing on that G League in nineteen for a while, some kids went overseas they just drafted. But I know they changed the rule now. I think some of them, I think they're close allowed if I'm not wrong, that they can go to the draft from prep schools. But obviously even with the from the prep schools and Juco's now is different. I know they're kind of getting the way from all those players with the COVID going into like those fifth, sixth, and seven years. But I know that they changed the rule to where if you played JUCO or if you play prep school, that those years don't count towards your NCAA eligibility, which is.
Speaker 2: Gonna be aba, Aba, you can go straight straight. You didn't have to worry about you know, no other league did that. They just come and get you. And the thing I would change you about most of the malone he went. He decided he was going to go to cost and go to Maryland. Uh. The ABA said, oh no, you won't. They drove up to Maryland and they had a Lincoln. They had an Imperial car Christler Imperial. They drove up and they had the trunk full of money, and they said, and this if you sign now, this car and everything in it is yours. And he went and signed in the A B A. It was a It was a fantastic league, and they had all kinds of crazy stories, man, and it was uh, it was something to see, man, and that three point line and the ball players individually. It was a great conference. And some of your best NBA ball players left there and went over to the NBA. So you know, San Antonio was an ABA team. Them Nuggets is a ab A team.
Speaker 3: There were a lot. I'm glad they didn't give you that money because that whole school will be un an investigation right now currently.
Speaker 2: And I wouldn't have worried about it, but you could believe one thing, I'd have been driving out of the parking lot. I would have been talking out of the parking lot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, you have lines thing you had to file for insurance fraud or something.
Speaker 2: Whatever what it took. But I would have been driving out to parking now with that car full of money. Though. But it was a great conference, man, And I tell you one thing that also helped escalate the ball players getting paid too, you know, because they had to compete out the ABA will pay them a little bit more than the NBA will pay them a little bit more. So it really helped the NBA ball players be able to get a good side because up in the then, a lot of the NBA ball players had to have a second job, you know, while they were playing in the league.
Speaker 3: That's true. It's getting a lot more competitive now with with nils and money that's overseas professional. Come on, man, there's a competitive nature in every aspect and every level of sports, even high school. Now, I see high school kids kneel when we're in diamond chains walking around. They're not even in college.
Speaker 2: It's crazy.
Speaker 3: I've seen it with my own eyes. I'm like, this is crazy. I look at them. I'm like you were in a dining chain. Yeah, I got a couple of them. I'm like a couple, bro, I have one?
Speaker 2: But right, right? But do you think that prepares them better for the NBA? I mean, when they get ready to come out to do their contract, do you think that they're more prepared? You how you think that's affecting ball players leaving to go to the NBA, That preparation for the NBA.
Speaker 3: Ooh no, that's something I actually I'm gonna save that for when we come back from break, because that's okay, all right, somebody do want to get into. So we're gonna going and get into our first commercial break. The time is seven seventeen, it is Friday. We're gonna go ahead and take that and we'll be right back. Is e sports radio phone numbers five oh two, five seven one seventy nine hundred. Welcome back to the sports radio phone numbers five oh two, five seven seventy nine hundred. I know George and I were just about to dive deep into that topic talking about how that money management aspect for a lot of kids negotiating high school and prep school going into college, can help negotiate their contracts going even into the professional level. Now, I can't speak on it for because I don't know how there really contracts work. I don't know how they're actually fully paid. Obviously, we see accusations of how they're paid all the time. You know, some kids are projected making around two million, three million dollars. Some kids are making five hundred to seven hundred and fifty th dollars, which is not technically confirmed. They could be making less, they could be making more. That could be just a summary accumulative from their other you know, the sponsors, endorsement deals. I know some kids have with clothing, some have it with food, car dealerships, whatever the case may be. But I hope that they're going through these steps correctly. When it comes to negotiating the contracts, I hope they're doing it a lot smarter than what I'm expecting in my head. I hate to say it. I'm not saying every kid is like this, but I know myself at eighteen years old, if I didn't have a strong influence for my father, myself, or someone that would help me manage my money a lot smarter, there'd be a small chance that I would definitely blow through a lot of my money very quickly at eighteen years old. There's just a lot of money for an eighteen year old to have. Most it's very rare. You're in the zero point zero one percent of eighteen year olds that could be a multimillionaire at that age if you don't get drafted to the NBA, and I think that's just a lot to handle. You know, some kids handle it well. I think some kids might go out there to buy a jewelry, to buy a clothes they're driving. You know, they're driving brand new Mercedes. It's just their lifestyle changes. You know. Everyone's like, well, if I had that much money, I would I wouldn't spend it on crazy stuff. I would just still live my normal life and just have money to account. But you know, it's hard to say that until you actually have that money in front of you. Then you can get to that situation. You're like, well, you know, you're not eating a lot of the noodles in the dorm room like I was, and even my dad was at the time, that you're eating steak and lobster. It's just that bank account and you see those dollars in there. It just doesn't work the same. And I think that is something that I hope that they're at least teaching them, taking classes on. I know, some class some states other than Kentucky, North Carolina where I went to school, and offer finance classes in high school, which I wish we would have offered here, which I don't know why they don't do it in every state. I think it's just just smart overall to offer that to everyone. I mean, it's just base knowledge, you know. I think you need to know how to fire your taxes and need to know how your taxes work income for one kge retirement plans. That's just the way life is nowadays. And they don't teach you that in high school. They'll teach you how to do a math equation that you'll never see again in your entire life, but they won't tell you how to fire your taxes, which is just kind of silly to me a little bit. But I hope it changes. I least I hope it changes in Kentucky. So that's one thing I do want to get on. But another thing I do want to get a.
Speaker 2: Topic of is we're talking about and can I say something on that before you finish it up? Yeah? Well, well, like I said, you know, you were speaking about a young man eighteen and nineteen years old being able to handle their money and to do with that. Well, I can speak for it on first hand because I watched when Derek was coming out of school and how these agents work and how they come at you like piranhas, and like I say, they don't give you a chance. They will promote you to start spending your money because they make more money off of you. And so you know you're talking about an eighteen year old and a parent that's not been experienced and I had that kind of money. It is very traumatic for them to go there because you know, you can easily go back up really quickly because they will feed you whatever you want. They will, in fact want you to get more than you really need. And you have to keep up the equations and keeping up how much you're spending really all the time because you know they will and they will take a percentage out of anything they do for you. And I don't know if it's the same way on college, but I doubt that college was providing them with agents and that they had to you know, can take only so much of a percentage out of their money and stuff like that. I just think that's gonna be uh. I think it's very beneficial. And like you were talking about the financial program now this year in Kentucky, I think they'll passed a bill that they will be teaching in all schools how to bank and the finance and uh your money now. So I think it's what you say and is coming to past. And I think that even those that don't play pro need to know how to handle that money and be able to use their money in the correct way, so it'll be beneficial to them later on in their life. So I just wanted to add that.
Speaker 3: Well, I appreciate one hundred percent. I'm glad to bringing that here too, because it needs it needs to be for for any for anyone coming from growing up, or any student.
Speaker 2: Not so.
Speaker 3: You're not the only ones you know, and I hate to say it, every the old athletes. If you look at a percentage of even wealthy people in America, a very low percentage comes from athletes. You know, Athletes don't make.
Speaker 2: The world about one percent, don't about one percent.
Speaker 3: They really don't. They don't make the world go around. Everything's Oh, the only way I can make it is I become a professional athlete. And like the people that you see then you drive by the big house in the neighborhood, ninety nine point nine nine percent of those people are not athletes. They probably never even played a score in college. So don't let think app sports is the only way that you can feel like you can be successful or make money, because it's one hundred percent not.
Speaker 2: But that's one of the ways they program programming on people, and they program you to believe that it's an easy way, and this is the easiest way you can do. All you got to do is run and have fun, jump up and down and play basketball. The basketball is all they on TV so that they can use advertisement to sell the products. They're making the money for those people that you're talking about on the sideline. That just making the real money, you know what I mean, because a lot of people don't understand the athlete. They're not making the most money. They just make you think they are because they give you, Oh, he's making three hundred million dollars, but they don't break it down how much he gets every annually. Every year. He doesn't get three hundred million a year. Some people think that when they see the three hundred million, it's annually. It's not an annual thing.
Speaker 3: No, that's true. Just you know, just there, don't suck your kids thinking and to being you know, don starry acting. It's the only way. But something else. We were just we were just talking about the Pacers and the Kentucky Colonels with the Avia still got to get into.
Speaker 2: Oh man, that was a game. I was arrival with that by that was I think.
Speaker 3: That was the most electrifying game that I've watched on TV of sports. Probably I don't even want to sit there and like it is probably my I can be like in the last probably five years I watched NBA basket I always gonna say my entire life, but a statistic it was like at a nine hundred and ninety four games, It's never happened where teams came back down from fourteen and under two minutes.
Speaker 2: Never.
Speaker 3: I don't know if the fact that I feel like I've seen it more happen more in college sports because college kids kind of folding the pressure sometimes, especially you know in the tournament, you have those little miracle runs that small school gets trapped full court by an SEC team that start turning the ball over, it starts scoring, the dribbling off or foot. It happens more in college sports because they're just not well you know, but no, I just go ahead.
Speaker 2: I just thought, well, I think the difference in college and pros though, and is everybody in the pros level with all somebody all American, all everything. They understand how to play basketball a lot. There's no weak links in uh pro ball. Most of all them players got real game. But the thing you have in college you've got freshmen you've got people who are really coming into the game. They're really developing the game at that point. So you know, you have advantages that you can take up of in college more than you doing the pros. Most of the pros are experienced players and there are a lot strong and a lot more better than Each player is better than the average college ball player because you may have, like a good example with Scott, Scott's basic asset was just to grab the ball and dunk it in the basket. Well, you know you got centers now there after shooting the threes. They can handle the ball, they can do a lot more. They more got more attributes now than they did, uh what between the college and the pros. So I think that's a big difference when you watch him play college ball players, Like you say, you got a freshman that's never been under that pressure. You don't know what he may do under that pressure. But a lot of pro ball players they've been under the microscope all their life.
Speaker 3: That is true. But I know you're talking about even with the big men of being able to stretch the floor that I've seen so many pros and cons of big men that can shoot now because.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean but compared to college ball players.
Speaker 3: Though, did you see the have you?
Speaker 2: Have you seen that?
Speaker 3: It's not even a video. It's like a short interview of Michael Jordan back when he was playing, talking about he didn't want a three point shooter because he thought it would take away from his other skill sets that he brought to the table. Right, it's a problem. When he said that, I was like, I was like, you wouldn't want to have a good three points? You nothing, You gotta go out there and shoot like Steph Curry. But you know they leaving your wide open. You know you can knock down a shot confidently. But obviously it's Michael Jordan and said he didn't have a confiden shoot at three point. He probably most definitely did, but it was still kind of threw me off.
Speaker 2: Well, you got to look at it, and it was a new phase at that time, and nobody shot like stuff Curry. Nobody used a three point line. It wasn't. It wasn't. It wasn't. The it was three point line was to get you back in the game. It wasn't. You know, most ball players only every maybe maybe six a game. With a high proportion for a ball player to shoot at that time. So I understand why he said and he only won the fifty foot because he knew he was more accurate. And back then they talked about how accurate you was, not like that you already chus like thirty four percent. You know, mugg go out and missed seven seven threes and come back and hit four, and we talked about he had a good game, you know what I mean. But back then, you know, the whole team they only shot thirteen threes. Well, now you got some players to shoot thirteen threes every game, and if you don't shoot thirteen threes, we try to forget what's wrong with him. So the way that they used the three point line then and the way they use it now is totally a lot different. So I can't understand why he didn't want a three point shot because it wasn't really attricate. It was more fantastic. But what your percentage you shot at that time, rather than how many three pointers you hit at that time. Now people look at the three point line is you know, if you can't hit it, you can't play.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean a lot of teams say that because the three point line has been the saving grace for a lot of their games. Obviously Pacers last night their three point line was their their little saving grace. Oh no, that hit seven threes in a row, Well, he probably ever hit seven threes aging in his career. Probably not not trying to knock the kid, because he's a good player, a good shooter, but realistically seven threes, let alone in a playoff game with two minutes ago, you hit four in a row. I could probably throw money on that. That will never happen again.
Speaker 2: But it was a big change though. He's like I'm saying, though the three point line now is more valuable than on like the Olympics and the European ball players, and when they got to see it, it wasn't used as much as it is used now to kick game in the game. You know what I'm saying that that's the difference. That's That's what I'm saying that the three point line, Like I said, as a team, as a team, you might have not shot thirteen threes. You know, now you got four or five people on the team to shoot four or five three like Boston they shot sixty. Well you might have the whole league and I shoot sixty at one night. So it was a big change. And so now now it's just a ray of life. Well back then it was coming to life.
Speaker 3: It does. I think just the three point line this is easily a way of life. I think it just offers more opportunities.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying. It was coming into life. It was a change, you know, it was evolving. So when Steph Kurry came in, he changed the whole he changed the whole platform. At that point, nobody shot like that. When the Golden State did what they did, we'd never seen the three point shot.
Speaker 3: The other players an opportunity to play at that level.
Speaker 2: There, you're right, there, you go.
Speaker 3: Is not effective. Steph Curry probably wouldn't be in the NBA exactly right, you know, exactly right, exactly right. I probably wouldn't have play college basketball. Three line wasn't there. That was That was mainly what I was known for. I wasn't finishing up.
Speaker 2: Seven right, right, And that's why it changed the game. It gave a lot of people the opportunities that didn't have the speed and stuff they to play this game. You're so so correct, you know what I mean. And that was a big change. And I'm not I think and it was a good change. The ABA did it though, but they they were doing it back in the day too before you know, the NBA, before the merged, they shot the three quite a bit. There were quite a few great three point shoots in the ABA, as you were talking about earlier. So you know, they they really cultivated that that that three point line, because that's what made like you're talking about the places, you know what I mean, they really could shoot shoot that three.
Speaker 3: One hundred percent. We're gonna go ahead and get to our second break, mister Williams. Time seven thirty three here still Friday a twenty third because the East fourth Rader we back phone numbers five two, five seven one seventy nine hundred. Welcome back to East fourth Radio. Tied to seven thirty six, Friday, May twenty third, phone numbers five oh two, five seven, one seventy nine hundred. Mister Willis, You've had some great top today, but we've hit I'm glad that we've hit him because they needed to be talked about. But something I do want to get into that is coming up for a lot of local fans, obviously U of L and UK fans, is these rosters that they have coming in for this years and the teams that they have set so far. So obviously, I know that Hawthorne did commit to UK. He's a four star commit that did just sign I think, not even not even less than a week ago. They say he's a consensus four star coming out of rival with ESPN and twenty four to seven sports. He's sentially ranked the number one, the number one hundred and first overall player in twenty five. He's ranked twenty four amongst small forwards. I haven't got to see him play or knowing much about his play style and what he brings to the table, so I gotta do some more research on him because I know I just saw that recently obviously. And then UVEL signed a new player as well. They signed an African kid from NBA Africa. He's supposed to be a good addition to the team kind of know. His name is Mohammed Kamara. He's a four star sixty forward, which is a great sign as of right now. And I say that just because we still are uncertain about Ali Khalifa and his eligibility coming up for the twenty five season, which is still crazy to me. I know his red shirt years and things did not get approved by the NCAA at the time, I don't know, I don't understand, and my dad did explain it to me, so I can't say I sit here and I don't understand. So during COVID, the short season I think that we had, and maybe twenty one or twenty two when COVID was kind of at its highest rate, is that a lot of the players they were told to still play during that COVID year even though it was cut short, because they would get that extra year of LGB ability back to keep the TV ratings up and keep that TV deals going that they have with a lot of the bid networks going on, which I did not know at the time, which makes perfect sense to why a lot of kids were getting that fifth and sixth year because they did play during that short season when it was only twelve or fourteen games, and then they get to come back and get that extra year of eligibility and play now and story game that year because they made that agreement early on. Alias Khalif a red shirt of his fresh year out of University of Ars. It played two seasons, then transferred to BYU and then trying to red shirt medically again, now this medical this red shirt is medically the first one. I think he just red shirted because either he was still developing young or the rosters is super loaded up. A lot of coaches will just readsert certain players so they don't lose that year of eligibility when they know they're not going to play a ton, which makes perfect sense. They have appealed it. Will we get approved. I'm not one hundred percent sure. I mean, I hope it does, because at this point we've seen so many kids that are playing. They're allowed on prep school and JUCO year players to still get four years eligibility. I played in JUCO for two years, So I just don't see why it's always such an issue with U of L. I don't know if the NCAA A just still has a dilemma with the University of Louislle when it comes to certain things. I just know for other schools it wouldn't go like this, because even if we're talking about it now, Zakai Ziggler is suing the NCAA for ce trying to get a fifth season in a fifth year to play of eligibility, which I don't even know why he's suiting for.
Speaker 2: I mean, he's nothing now, and you're not right on the that one. Chad zigglers trying to shoot for. I can play at Tennessee as long as I want to, as long as they'll giving me a scholarship. That's what he's shooting for.
Speaker 3: Brother's time to graduate.
Speaker 2: Man, you don't want to leave me. You don't want to leave some players.
Speaker 3: I feel like they've been college basketball for so long. Did I play against him?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 3: I feel like I played against you my freshman year.
Speaker 2: Uh my dad played against you his freshman year.
Speaker 3: Man, I hate to see it. I understand you. You're trying to get the money that you feel like you deserves. That's why a lot of these cats on those extra season because there's a lot of money on the table. But then comes the point in time you got to give the younger guys coming out of high school a chance to even go to college. A lot of these kids dreams are getting blushed down the toilet because they're playing thirty year olds in college basketball. It's just.
Speaker 2: But you know, you got to be the exceptional freshman now to really even get a college look. Because coaches are going in and trying to save their jobs, and really they're not looking at really the high school ball player. They're looking at the more experienced ball players. So you know, the prep ball players, the JUCO ball players, the good ball players that were smaller schools that coaches have developed, and now you're coming in and rating the program and taking them out. So you know, you've got to be exceptional to being high school and think a big time school is coming after you.
Speaker 3: You do an it's tough to say I'm glad PK coach Pat Kelsey is still grabbing high school players. I still like that he's doing that well. He may not have the best record on the table even across the ACC and NCAA because he is bringing in younger kids, but I do love him because he's giving them a chance and he sees the potential, the upside and growth that a lot of these players have. Every player that you're not gonna get is gonna be a transfer player. Every player is not gonna be a one and done. But and it sucks to say that because there's a lot of good coaches who are gonna put their jobs at risk giving kids an opportunity because they love the sport and they love the passion rather than I'm gonna go out there and just get a bunch of twenty five year olds with a transfer them see if I can win thirty games, win the national championship, just to keep it alive. And it's what it sucks and it is just well, it's how it is.
Speaker 2: Now. Well you're looking at that. And as much as you said you like what coach Kelsey's doing, and I hate to say this, but you know, fans out fanatical. If these young men do not work out, he'll be looking for a job, you know what I mean. And that's just the way it is. I mean, you almost, I mean mull say, oh, I like what he does, but then when he does it and it doesn't work, we don't give him a reprieve and say, well, let's give him a second chance to look at what he's gonna do. And you gone, you I mean, it's just a it's just a cool pill. And I think that's one of the reasons that high school kids are not getting a drastic because the fans say, if you don't win, coach, we don't want you in our program.
Speaker 3: That is true. There's there's a lot of hot seat comes around. It's always saying there's more money, there's more responsibility, which is true responsibility for these kids coming to the transferport now.
Speaker 2: So I'm not gonna take a chance on a young player.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're coming and making you know, to perform.
Speaker 2: Every no doubt, no doubt.
Speaker 3: FIF point game, you don't. You have eight points now where you foul out and fifteen minutes of plan. They don't want that anymore. They're going to hate you when they do, and you're gonna turn into those teams in the NBA. Like some people say, it's hard playing for the Knicks and hard playing for the Lakers because their fan base is so interactive with the team and they're so strong of an influence that it can affect how a player plays, and it really does. It's hard playing for it seems like the Knicks, and it's hard playing for the Lakers. But if you go out there and you play for the.
Speaker 2: Knicks and you suck, you're gonna know well. And then one thing I say, if they paying you that kind of money, you supposed to grab them. Suposed to be a superstar. You know when you walk, when you walk into the land and the Mecca, brother, if you ain't ready to play. When you get there, then they suposed to brew you. They paid their money to come see you. I've always said in college ball, when you are paid, people pay their money to come see you, you are supposed to perform because if you don't, they pay so they have the right to bill you. You know what I mean. So that show obligation. That show obligation when I put my money on the line to come watch you participate. I want to see one of you playing on that floor. Don't don't talk about if you can't play, coach, don't put him in. If he's in it, don't put him in because I have the right to brew you if you're not performing, because I put money on the line for you. And now you've got this to rat and think about this. The gamblers, they don't not this's not brew you. They call you up and let you know how they feel about you.
Speaker 3: You can't base off you can't based off the gambling addicts. That's a whole I.
Speaker 2: Didn't say, no, no, I didn't. I added that to what my what I was saying. I just used that, and then I didn't say I didn't use that. At the program. I've talked about all the other things. People's one pages, come see you. And then I just said that when you gamble, because if I'm losing money, they even doing commercials about it. If you lose, don't cause the young man up. So it is a proven fact that the harational young men. But I'm not saying that's the attribute.
Speaker 3: But yeah, no, I completely understand all that aspect. It's just, you know, it's just one of those controversies where I get college players are getting paid. You know, I say, like the miniature superstars, and I say, minister stupertars, just because the contracts aren't as big as NBA. That's really the only difference. There's not as many games, but they're still getting paid quite a bit for the thirty games you're playing in college basketball. It's only like I payed three million dollars for thirty games. There's no way you can turn that down. There's no way. But I want to get into that by saying this is because you still have to understand even though these kids are getting paid now for money that should have been paid a long time ago. For athletes, it should have been paid back even when my dad was playing. When you're bringing in a third of your revenue to your school and your kids are eating remnula that night that calls sixty cents to make. It just doesn't really add up. But the only reason why I say this is because you still have to understand a lot of these kids are still seventeen eighteen years old, and I sit there and say that it is. They're going to go out there and they're going to have bad performing nights. That it's just part of college sports. That's part of a developing aspect to getting to that professional level. The ones, the superstars that are drafted in those lottery picks between one and fifteen, the reason why they go on those hot locks is because the upside is because they don't have those bad of knights. They're bad knights are good knights for everybody else they're bad. Well, seventeen points, eight rebounds, six assists for most players, that's a phenomenal night. That's a career night for them. That's the difference between a lottery first round pick. You guys who don't go on drafted, but they're paying every Every top player in the SEC is making a mill on one team. But I can see her and say that the top player on South Carolina ain't going to the draft the same as the top player in Kentucky is, but they might be getting paid similar amounts. That's the thing that doesn't.
Speaker 2: But if you if you're paying your money to go see this player participate in this game and he plays, he has a terrible season, you think that you you you don't want Even the school is boring him. Even the people who gave me a nial deal. That's boring this cat, you know what I mean. And it just it just prepares them what they're going to face in the NBA. Only different it they're on TV more and they get talked about more, but they still have the obligation to go out there and start to perform. When you're getting paid, do you would you be paying a young man a million dollars a year branding back a second year and he didn't perform the first year and he didn't perform like you wanted, would you bring him back?
Speaker 3: There's tons of kids that are getting paid one hundred thousands, not millions of dollars. They're never going to touch an NBA for us anothera.
Speaker 2: I understand that, but that that's the chimp change money. Now one hundred thousand dollars in the Chimp change money.
Speaker 3: Now, there are prime examples of guys who've probably made millions in colleges that are probably never sniff.
Speaker 2: In the NBA. For I would say, but they do good for their school, they school for the right that that's taking them far enough that we can we can afford to pay you this kind of money because you know only one, maybe less than a percentage of the people go to Poe.
Speaker 3: You can say that a hundred Dickons has one of the worst two year career runs at Kansas. And I'm not saying, oh, his statistics weren't good. He went to Kansas and they had two of their worst seasons that they had under the Bill Silk while Hunter Dickinson was there. So did he really go there and perform like he was supposed to? No, he really didn't. He had a better career before he transferred, that he did better at Michigan than he did at Kansas, and they run back for more money after the first year.
Speaker 2: The one thing you got to remember about that and is that if they're willing to pay you, I'm willing to accept your money. That's the thing. What is my value rates to you, and that's the key. That's the key. What what is my value to your program? And some programs looked at you like, well, we looked at he's not a great ball player to us, but to that program he does some for and he generates it so that they're willing to give him that money because they don't have to, you know what I mean. But they feel like he generates enough for our program that we're gonna give it. And he transferred to a program to make more money. And like you said, he didn't even he wasn't one of the best centers to ever play that but they paid him, and they paid him for two years. So I'm gonna take the money, you know, I mean, you always they're gonna be a great ball player. It's like a lot of pro ballplayer. We say, well, why did they take him? He's not really good. But if they're gonna give me that money, and I don't care what the fans gonna say about me, I'm gonna participate. I'm gonna take your money.
Speaker 3: They gotta pay somebody to come there.
Speaker 2: They might there you go, there, you go getting paid.
Speaker 3: But before we get into it, before we dive just a little bit deeper into it, we get to our some of our next topics. We're gonna go to our last commercial break here. I'm time at seven forty eight for those who were'shing to work at eight o'cl right now. I'll be safe getting there. They'll cause any accidents. I know traffic is pretty bad at this time in the morning. Pope numbers five oh two, five seven one. Will be right back after the last break, Welcome back to E Sports Radio. Time is seven to fifty two. Phone numbers five oh two, five seven, one, seventy nine hundred. Just a few topics I want to hit before we get out of here this weekend. One of the things I did want to bring up that I wanted to bring up earlier and I forgot is that Arizona UCL leader to meet at the end to a dome. They're honoring in Bill Walton in one of the games later this season in the Pac twelve former Pac twelve basketball rivals to be exact, which is something I think is pretty interesting. The game's gonna be held on November fourteenth, and we'll honor the late Bill Walton or the former Bill Walton being starting resides at the Bruins in college. His son Luke Walton played for the Wildcasts and Elder Walton broadcast games and both schools. So I think that's something that's pretty special, pretty interesting that's going on also as well. A couple of the transfer portals that we do want to notify that I have signed their schools coming up for this year. I know everyone was, you know, in the worriabouts of where Beggy Flammer was gonna end to go into the draft or if he was going to go back to Arkansas or going to a different school, which he did end up signing to Florida. So Boogie Flay and the Arkansas superstar who was out most of the season with injuries, will be going to Florida under Todd Golden to go down there and try to be their next superstar to fill in those shoes of Walker Clayton Jr. Who is going off to the Draft this year. Another big name that just popped up in the commitment yesterday is the Texas check trans for Darren Williams, which was their superstar last year for Texas Tech. He's committed to NT State, so he is shipping on out of there. He's going out with will Wade for McNeice McNee State, who just took over the NC State job coming up this year. He took that school over Kansas, Ohio State, and Washington put up numbers of fifteen points, five and a half rebounds of three and a half a sis per game last season, which I think is a great pick up for mcnick State. They're gonna be one of those schools that's gonna be an awkward team to watch in the AEC. And I don't mean awkwardis and they'll be bad because McNee State held their own a lot last year throughout conference and even throughout the tournament. A lot of those schoues kids from McNee State are transferring to NC State, along with transfers coming in from the Portal and a couple of high school recruits. They're gonna be one of those teams that you're gonna have to watch out for on the ACC. The AEC last year was pretty much what I'd like to say it was. It was a cruise walk. You know, outside of Duke and pretty much U of l last year, everybody else was kind of bad. They're they're really bad. You know, UNC wasn't good, Virginia was bad. Syracuse, Florida State, Boston College. It was. It wasn't good. There were only three teams in that one hundred last year, so if that says anything for how the ACC summed up, that past season was pretty undermining. But hopefully this year coming up, with some of the new coaches emerging in the ACC and transfers coming in, I hope.
Speaker 4: To still see I hate to say it, I still got to see my Duke team at the top of the ACC. I'm sorry Usla and she might hate me for it, but that's okay. But I still want to see Pat Kelsey be successful in the ACC. I still want to see UFL be successful. My buddy Kshon Pryor is on the team too, so I hope he comes back full of healthy inness next season after chairing his ACO last year. I know his dad's been posting stuff of him working out and getting back in the gym fully after five months post surgery, so he's looking good.
Speaker 3: He's moving well. Just talk to him about two weeks ago, so good friend of mine. I hope he has a phenomenal senior year season coming up. That's all I can say, folks. I know this show has been filled with a lot of stats with a lot of information. Mister Williams, I want to thank you and doubtedly for joining me on the show when my dad's on Low's Management in the basement right now, drooling on himself. I'm just kidding, but I hope everyone in Georgia a weekend the joys a great Memorial Day coming up on Monday. He's sports Radio. We will not be here Monday and Tuesday of next week. We will be back on Wednesdays, will be back to our normal schedule following the week. I hope everyone's enjoys himself gets to work, faithful, We'll see you again next week. The sports Radio app