Speaker 1: Big Food and Beyond with Cliff and Bobo.
Speaker 2: These guys are your favorites, so light share, subscribe and raid.
Speaker 3: It five star shot and me on es today and listening watching.
Speaker 1: Always keep its watching.
Speaker 3: And now you're hosts Cliff Berrickman and James Bubo Fay. Good morning, Bobo. How are you doing, sir?
Speaker 4: Really really really fired up today. I'm stoked you got one of my favorite guests back. He's an amazing guy. I just I went back and watched his documentary Big Fur, and I was the last couple of since when he said he'd come back on and finding all the old interviews. I could find the movies on you know, YouTube and old stuff like that, and just I was like, god, I remember, I remember his loving the guy who's such a great guy and really cool. And then I was look at these Liverally interviews on verc for I'm like, guy, it's even cooler than I thought, you know. And so it's just it's just he's he's a world renowned taxidermist, he's a multiple time world champion taxidrmist. He's Roy Orbison tribute artist, and he's a kind of a comedian. But uh, he's just a good dude, and where we're stoked to have mine. It's Ken Walker from Alberta, Canada.
Speaker 3: Welcome back, Ken.
Speaker 1: Hey guys, it's great to be here.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's great to have you it really sincerely, is I mean?
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 3: A three time World Taxidermy Champion.
Speaker 1: Like as far as Best in World titles, I've won three of those, and then I've also won the Best of Show. I was the first non American to win that at the World Championships, and also an award called Master of Masters, which is only for former World champions and judges for example, and it's voted on by all of the Master competitors. I've won that. I'm the only Canadian so far that's got that. A couple of years ago, I did win Best in Europe for the road Deer category, so I'm European champion too, So that's kind of kind of fun. So it's kind of like Pokemon, you got to get them.
Speaker 2: All hilarious hilarious. Well, you know last time that we had you on the on the show, it was about the release of Big Fur, the documentary some personal looks into your life, as well as the building of a life size Bigfoot model based on the Patterson Gimlin film subject and it seemed to be a big hit. A lot of the people I know in the big foot world have seen this. What is your perspective on the documentary from your side with twenty twenty you know, looking back now with twenty twenty vision, Well, you know.
Speaker 1: It was a movie that was made by Dan Wayne, and you know, I, you know, I guess I can say that there's things in that movie that I wish I you know, weren't. But what can you do. You can't do anything about it. Everything was true, so but I haven't really kind of you know, got showing on different streaming platforms and then it kind of fizzled away. And Dan always wanted to do a follow up to Big Fur because so much happened afterwards. I won a lottery, I ended up well, almost died of COVID. I was days away from death when they saved me. And then I had open heart surgery. I had five blockages in my heart. So I did that so O my goodness, Oh yeah, yeah, no, it's but I got no damage to my heart. I went in with symptoms. I didn't have to have a heart attack. So and now I travel back and forth, living here and in Norway with my girlfriend Venka. She was my girlfriend in nineteen eighty seven and we got back together.
Speaker 5: Wow, and so did you get back together?
Speaker 1: We got back together two years ago. I was crazy about her in nineteen eighty seven, and turns out I still was. You know, we got back together and so and no, I've been quite happy with that. And she travels back here and I travel over there. She's got a couple more years before she retires out of her government job in Norway. And so I basically when I won the lottery, I paid everything off and gave it to my kids. And I told him, I said, you can hear it. Here's a million dollar farm. You can have it. Just I need a place to sleep, I need a place to work. I need a place to come home to. And you guys can run the farm. You guys, it's yours. I don't need it. Ain't no trailer hitch on a on a hearse.
Speaker 3: Yeah that's great.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: So are you so tast having commercially? Is it all your daughter?
Speaker 1: I'm building forms and doing panda recreations and things like that, and my daughter has I gave her the business and then I work for her and she gives me an allowance now and then, and I basically living as a freeman, about as free as you can. Anyways.
Speaker 3: Well that is fantastic.
Speaker 1: Well what's left of what's left of my life is going to be quality. That's that's the main thing.
Speaker 2: Excellent, excellent, And of course a high quality life clearly involves sasquatch and some sort of right.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, I've kind of stepped back from a lot of it. Of course I'm still kind of involved. I'm still waiting for that one piece of evidence. Always got my ear to the ground. I still go up there. The Alberta Sasquatch guys go up to that Alberta habituation site and they have get togethers out there, and I've gone on a couple of them. And I have another places that has a lot of activity that nobody really knows about. But it's really hard to get in there, close to a well, past a place we call a little smoky. And I've found trees, you know. I found a tree there before I knew what a sasquatch was, and it had been tied down, like bent over into a bow and tied down and I unraveled it. I unraveled the way that the branches on the end of the tree were, and I was saying, how in the world could something tie this tree down by wrapping the branches like this? It was ingenious, and all these years later I realized that it was a sasquatch. And you know, the other thing too about that place is I would get and I mean, you have to go hours by quad to get in. There's nobody there. Nobody goes in there. And I used to always hear voices and I pull out Google Earth. There's no way where I heard the voices coming from that people can get back there. You know, it's all marsh and beaver ponds and it's it's inaccessible, but I would hear people talking. And then something took a moose quarter. When one guide was in the tent. It popped the rope and it was mumbling, he said, And it was standing right beside the tent, and it took one moose quarter. It didn't a grizzly bear. I'll come back and take them all and then bury them. But this thing took one and walked away. There was no quarter about at least two hundred pounds you can carry one if you're a big strong man, but you can't carry very far. And breaking the rope forget it, you know, you know, you have to weigh one thousand pounds to break that rope, and the fact that it took one. And then there's a little lake back in there. There's no access to this lake, and twice I've tried to walk over through the trees to get to the edge of that lake, and both times I was turned back by unexplainable fear. And I didn't know what it was then, but I know what it is now. So I'd like to go back in there and set up there's seales reception in there now, so I'd like to set up a cell phone camera in there and just see what I find, you.
Speaker 3: Know, Oh yeah, yeah, that sounds very very interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And there's lots of people going out to the place they call Norday Gets actually on the Cardinal River. That's the Alberta habituation site that got kind of outed and and anybody, you know, there's a lot of people going in there. There's still activity in there, but according to the trapper's brother, they've most of the activity has moved to an area that was given to the Indians and you're not allowed to go in there.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, I mean.
Speaker 5: Retired yet.
Speaker 1: Well, the main trapper passed away of a heart attack unfortunately. Are you guys familiar with the story that Jeff Meldrum told about his sighting.
Speaker 3: Oh, yeah, yes I am.
Speaker 1: He was at that berm and he was with that a person that apparently as an animal whisperer. And then yeah, they she went down there and she came back up and she said that she got scared. You know, this creature was not friendly, and and then this.
Speaker 5: Is not a friendly creature in the documentary.
Speaker 1: Well what happened? And I'm going to tell you guys something, And this is kind of big. You know, I've been sitting on this for a long time because you know, the trapper that lived that was there, he didn't he never wanted his trap line to turn into a zoo. He ended up selling the trap line. And you know, of course, we know the other guy goes in there and sells people tours to go in there, and there's always activity there. It's almost like they go in there to watch people, not the other way around. But when I first got in there, I didn't realize the story. I couldn't figure out why the trapper was so scared to go back there, because this guy's not scared to nothing. And here's here's actually the story that I uncovered. And if you guys want back up on this, Tyler Huggins will corroborate this because he was with one of the trappers and heard it firsthand when we sat down for a talk. But what had happened was this trapper was in there for about he said, there was weird things going on in that trap line for about six years. And they said that the wolves, it takes about two years, and the wolves will start well kind of in an area, will accept you, like if you take a piss on a tree, they'll for the first two years, they'll walk two hundred yards around it. But after you've been in there a couple of years and they know you, they'll actually come and piss fore you pissed. That's that's what they do. And he said the sasquatch was kind of the same. He said it was about six years, he said, and one day he was out on the road and he said, all of a sudden, this young one walked out on the road, looked at him, just kept walking, walked across the road and into the trees, I mean right in front of him. And he said, well, I'm not telling anybody about that. And another time he was on a trail and a female walked out with a young one and he said that it was a small one and it was walking on all fours. And then another female walked out and they were both you know, adult females, and it had a younger one that was you know, a lot a little older, and it had an injured leg and it would limp like it had an old injury. And he said there was two big females and two young ones of different age standing in front of him. I think he said he's seen seven clearly in that area. But he was at one of his beside one of his snare sites where his wolf snares are, and he heard a commotion, so he walked up there and this is what led to everything I found out later, and something was in one of his wolf snares and it was going ballistic in his words, and screeching and screaming, and it was snared around the neck and around one of its arms. So he said, whatever it was had to be running on fours to get into the wolf's snare, and then he heard a horrifying scream and he turned around and he said the only thing that he could describe was a big, a huge werewolf was bearing down on him and just covered in hair and just angry. And so he had three hundred winchester and he started shooting, and he said, if he hadn't hit it on the first shot, he said, they would have never found him. But he said he was able to spin it, and then he kept shooting until he finally killed it, and then he killed the one in the snare. So he's standing there and he's got one of these things dead on the ground in front of him, and then the other one, and he was like in almost a panic. And then he said the screaming started and all of the other ones converged, and then he said the big male stepped out, and he said this thing was so hard to kill the female that he said, I figured I was a dead man. He said, it looked at what was going on, and it stepped back behind the tree and looked at him, and he had the gun up and he said it he was praying it wouldn't charge him because he said it was just so he didn't say it was big. He said it was massive, and then he said it ducked and ran, he said, and it moved like lightning. He said, he'd never imagine anything that big could move that fast. And so he got out of there. He got out of dodge, but he was so worried. No, he was on foot. And they never drive into their wolf sets. Their wolf sets. They even changed their clothes to go into there because they can't have any scent or anything. And he said she was laying on the ground and he said, he said, what was laying on the ground was not an animal. He said, it was a person, just not us, is how he described it.
Speaker 2: Stay tuned for more Bigfoot and Beyond with Cliff and Bogo will be right back after these messages.
Speaker 1: He saw my model that I made, and he said it was bang on, he said, except for all of their faces are different. So he described this one as having more of a pointed head and a pointed chin, which gave it a look like a football head, like a football, he said. And he said in it was far more man than animal. And he said she was lactating. Oh, and so he was so worried. He said this thing was human enough that he didn't want anybody to find it. And so he came back and he said he was so terrified. He measured the tree by the way. He told me he wasn't going to tell me how big the mail was because I wouldn't believe him. And I told him, I said, if you measured the track, I can tell you how big. He said, the track was just a quarter inch under nineteen inches long. I said, your creature was ten feet tall. They measured the tree where it stood and where it looked out, and he said it was nine feet ten inches. With that, you know that slouch the big males get, They get kind of a slouch. They break forward from there. He said, it looked like they look like they're slouching. He said it was at least five feet across the shoulders, and he said it and it was, he said, hideously ugly. So he told me that that, But when he told me the story, he didn't tell me about the rest of it. I found that out later, much later. Actually, so he was, he said that they had. He always used to tell me that they couldn't figure out how to open the snare locks. On the wolf snares, and I never I couldn't figure out why he said that, you know, because they used to take cayotes out of his snares. I told that story before. Why how does he know they can't They couldn't figure out how to jimmy the snarelocks open because all the snares have a lock on it. The harder it pulls, it tightens and it doesn't come loose again. So they cut the circulation off and killed quickly. So what had happened was he had long snares, and they pulled the whole snare and the drag and everything up on the young one. And he carried the young one and the female over the mountain and into a valley, and he tracked them down there, and he said they buried them because it was winter the ground was frozen. He said, they buried them under a huge mound above ground, he says, and they all left gifts around this mound, like they left rocks, sticks and bones. And you know, gifting the dead is a kind of religion. And that's why I always tell people I know they gift the dead, and they always ask me why. But as long as you know, but this really, there's no there's no danger in telling the story now because you know you can't prove it. But apparently he had gone back in the summertime or later taking the skulls out of this grave, and I was in the the process of trying to get these when all of that stuff blew up with the other guy going into the area, and the trapper thought that I had taken money for information. Never talked to me for like two or three years, and I mean I was right on the verge of getting a type specimen at one point, Tyler, you might I know this story. He tried to get Wally Hrson involved too. You know, I said, I told the trapper, you know trappers, a trapper, maybe he would sell it, give it to them, and I don't care. I didn't. I don't care who gets it, as long as somebody gets it, somebody who will, you know, put it out. I've never been in this subject for money, never. I've never made one flat nickel from this subject. I make money from taxi derby. I've been accused of taking money from people and stuff, but I never have and I never really planned to. But anyways, he got so mad because he wouldn't believe Tyler, and Tyler wouldn't you know, or not Tyler, but the other guy wouldn't believe that he really had these things. Then he said he was going to throw them away, but apparently he had him hidden. But then he passed away suddenly, and they haven't turned up. There's people waiting in case they turn up.
Speaker 3: But they have brother.
Speaker 1: That's kind of who I'm dealing with. He's the guy that if they turn up, he'll be the first to know, and you just nothing's come of it. You know. The way he described them was this, He said, you can't tell them from human skulls by looking at them. He said, other than the fact that they're bigger, well, the young one probably wouldn't have been, but he said that they're noticeably bigger, is how he put it.
Speaker 3: You would think there'd be some dramatic differences between them because of the musculture, and then like they're chewing apparatus and that like the zygomatic arches, there would have to be some differences.
Speaker 1: I think that it's kind of like the people who look at tracks. You know, if you if you show a sasquatch track to a foot doctor, he's going to say that's not a human foot. But to the average layman, like this is a guy that would never pick up a human skull and look at it. You know, he would never go get a model and compare them. And he I know he was quite traumatized by this event, very traumatized, and probably didn't want to look at it. Probably just wrapped him up. And whatever he did, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I to go back with him to the site where he got the skulls. I mean, I can't imagine going back by yourself or something like that.
Speaker 1: He refused to go back there. He refused. He even refused when we went and dug an est out where I got all of that those frozen scat. But I ended up giving the rest of it to Tyler, and Tyler gave it to a lab and I said, I don't care what comes of it. I just I'm done with this. You know, I no one's gonna believe unless I drag a dead one into the Walmart shop, you know, parking lot and chain it to a chain it to a light standard, no one's going to believe it.
Speaker 3: You know. Well, if you know the location where a lot of this stuff happened, there's actually still hope of getting some useful information out of it.
Speaker 1: Half a mile. This happened only half a mile from Jeff's sighting.
Speaker 2: Well, if you know the exact location where the thing was lying and bleeding and whatnot. One of the people involved in that North Carolina State University study, this guy's interested in sasquatch thing, and Darby has him as one of the many mini academics that is involved in this. This particular gentleman's area of focus is getting DNA from mass graves of African Americans from pre slavery days for two hundred years old. And so he's taking soil and getting DNA out of it, and people, the other scientists were saying that's impossible, you can't be doing that, but sure enough he is actually and he's really been a leader in that kind of research. So there might be some hope if you can get soil samples.
Speaker 1: Well, I believe that. And the reason I believe that is because they can take samples from a lake and tell you what kind of fish are in there.
Speaker 3: Right, that's DNA. That's exactly what he's doing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but I have tracked down a couple of mounds the trapper found a mound that looks like a burial mound deep in his trap line, and so we've been talking about going in there and exuming it. He always wondered what it was. According to the description, it's just like what is brother had described. But you know, it's really hard to get people to do things, you know, like to make plans to do things. It's you know, they're one day they think, yeah, it's a great idea. The next day they don't. And it's very typical in the hunting community, especially where I get my you know, most of my anecdotes. The people are so resistant to the subject. Afterwards, they really don't want anything more to do with it, you know, they just you know, you're lucky enough to hear the story sort of thing.
Speaker 4: When I was on the phone, even that trapper showed up at your house, you were telling me the story when he got there, and I was like, yeah, he got mad that you were even talk to me about it. Like, these guys are pretty rough characters, you know.
Speaker 1: Oh well, they also like I, you know, I always laugh at him. You know, he's kind of a religious guy, and he's a written at the brother. He's one of my very best friends. And I always told him, I said, you know, why won't you tell people that you know about these creatures? I said, haven't you ever wanted to get off of jury duty?
Speaker 3: I wore a bigfoot shirt when I went into jury duty. They did not choose me.
Speaker 1: No, but I told them, I said, you know, I said, the greatest thing about being a Sasquatch believer is it doesn't matter what crime I do. I com plead insanity.
Speaker 3: You know, he just he.
Speaker 1: Talks to he gets information and he kind of feeds it to me when he hears something. But you know, it's it's such a taboo subject for so many people in the hunting community. It's it's you know, I was lucky to get the information I did, but this is this is what happened, and that I can't help but think that they ran into that one. If that woman said she was scared of this creature, very likely couldn't be the same male. And you know, and it's like I was trying to tell those guys, you guys shouldn't be in here. You don't know the history of this area. You shouldn't be here. You know, you're you're messing with something you don't know anything about.
Speaker 4: Uh yeah, they're not as vanish fils like people. I was going like, oh, you know, if you shoot one and that, you're never getting out of alive. And it's like everyone I've talked to like they they they do get out alive, like like like for instance, just at that one, like when he left when the when the big one ran away, he didn't. It didn't come out from after that, like it didn't sneak up on them when he was trying to get out like an especially since he was on foot. I mean they could they could have they could have got him. I mean like oh yeah, I said where Barkatino filmed it, the Justin Smayhouse, Sierra Killsite. Like Justin sleeps out up there. I mean he got there by himself and sleeps without a tent and sleeps out. Yeah, and they're around, they don't do anything.
Speaker 1: Well here's a perfect example. There was a lot of them there for this event, but the only one, the only one that actually charged him was the mother of the young one that was in danger.
Speaker 4: What what come of the same color? What was the coloration on the on the individuals?
Speaker 1: He always told told me that they were always black, but he saw them like he said, whenever the fog moved in or there was a snowstorm. He said, that's when you see them. They walk in the storms. And he said that you get that fog. He said, you know you'll see them in the fog. They move in the fog, and they move in the snowstorms, is how he put it. When the first snow came, he said, you'd see tracks for about two days, and he said they all headed west into the mountains. And then he said, you wouldn't see any big tracks or any small tracks. He said until March. He said, you would. But if he had his if he had his his bait sites active before the snow came, he said, the big ones, the real big ones, would always come back and pull his coyotes out of the snares. But he said if he established his bait sites after they left, he said they wouldn't come back until the spring. The guy was a treasure trove of knowledge.
Speaker 2: Stay tuned for more Bigfoot and beyond with Cliff and Bobo will be right back.
Speaker 3: After these messages.
Speaker 4: They couldn't resist that rotten fish. Like for the Martin Pine Martin traps like those that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they called it Martin magic. And what they do is it's you can buy it. It's skunk oil mixed with rendered fish sucker fish. Suckerfish stink when they're fresh, you know. And he would render them for like two years in a big plastic bucket and then he would pour the oil out, mix it with straight skunk oil, and he would put a cube of beaver meat and put it into the Martin box. He said, nothing but a Martin will touch that, he said, except for the Sasquatches. He said they would. He said they would do anything to get that. He said they would. They would eat the bark right off the tree if he painted it on there. And they called it Martin magic. And that's he said that they could not resist it, absolutely couldn't resist it.
Speaker 5: What are the.
Speaker 4: Physical characteristics about the individual the sas quaestions? Like anything you can think of it, like, because I know he told you so much stuff, but like like as far as.
Speaker 1: Well he talked about the like he said that the female wasn't a lot bigger than him, but he was a big man, over six foot tall, and he said it was bigger than me, but not a lot bigger, which adds up to the you know, the Patterson creature being just under seven feet, that lines up exactly with the measurement that he gave me. And he said, nothing like those males, is how he put it. He said, those things are just huge, he said. But the female was big, and he said, very very heavy. Apparently he told his brother that there was no way you could roll it over. And they're a lot heavier than people realize, because like if you look at you know, most people who look at tracks, they think, oh, that's fake. Yeah, well go and get yourself a piece of plywood and see how much weight you have to put on that big piece of plywood. In order to get it to sink two inches into the ground, you got to put at least a thousand pounds on it.
Speaker 5: And did you tell the plot with the shape of a foot, you mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like because it spreads out the weight, and I mean they have big feet for that reason, you know. And that was another thing that they told me. They said, look, you know, a big grizzly can be one thousand pounds, you know, with fat and everything. But he said, you know, all of the weight in those animals is muscle weight. And he said, if you ever saw the legs and arms and chest and shoulders on these creatures, he said, they are exponentially more muscled up than a grizzly bear. He said they have to weigh He said, when people think a thousand pounds, he says, I'll go on on a limb and say two thousand pounds easy. He says they're much heavier than people realize because of just the amount of muscle mass on them, is how he put it.
Speaker 5: Yes, I told.
Speaker 4: People when I saw that first, when I saw, I didn't get a great I just saw, you know, one hundred and twenty through a Gen two Ukrainian nights scoute from the nineties, so it was like the best optical piece. But yeah, I told me, like, yeah, I was like about nine and a half ten foot tall and four foot across the shoulders and like three foot deep through.
Speaker 5: The chest of the back. And I was like it just it was so masso to tell us.
Speaker 4: I said, how to we at least fifty how to wea at least fifteen hundred maybe two thousand maybe hour.
Speaker 1: Yep, that's exactly right. And that's what they said to me as well. There's an area in the mountains. It's part of that area that they gave to the Indians. And I still swear that the motocross guys were reporting sasquatch sightings in there, and I still swear that's why they closed that area to the public. But he said that every December, he said sasquatch would move into there. He said he never saw it, but it had the biggest track he's ever seen. And it's just this one area. So I know a taxidermist, a lady taxidermist from Hinton Town, west of US and she's seen a sasquatch in Jasper National Park up close and personal in a car in a snowstorm with her boyfriend when they went up to park to see if the other kids were up there, and there was a huge sasquatch right in the headlights. So she was coming out of that area in the middle of winter. They were a string of guys on quads and she was on the back of the quad with her husband, is how she put it. And she turned to the left and she looked and she said there was a sasquatch watching her. She said that was so big and it was gray, and she said as soon as she looked at it. It turned to the left and walked between walked out of the clearing between a couple of trees. So we went back there, and Dan actually filmed this, but it didn't make it into the movie. And she got me to back up behind the berm, and she said, get yourself parallel to those two trees and then stop. So I did, and it was standing behind the berm, and I was standing behind there, and all as she could see was from the bridge of my nose and my eyes on the top of my head, and it was standing in the same place it was. And I asked her, how much of the creature did you see? She said, I could see its hips, and yeah, so I'm five five eleven, and I came up to its hip, you know, just below its hips, the exact same area where the trapper said that big track was the exact same time it moved into there. So I was able to corroborate those two and must have been old to be gray like that.
Speaker 5: What was that? What I mean?
Speaker 4: These guys are like, you know, they know more than your average wild a biologists by far, the old school mountain trapper guys.
Speaker 3: What did he say?
Speaker 4: What would he notice as far as when when the tracks would show, how did it affect the other animals, because I mean, he knows how all the animals were moving, Like what would change when when the sasquattions came back with like the wolves be different, the deer, the elk.
Speaker 1: There was one valley in there that no one had ever actually gotten into when they built that road that cut across from through that area. There's between two rivers and there was no access because the river canyons. And so he found a big valley, a big beautiful valley. He says that you had to really fight like hell to get in there. And he said it was full of structures and it was full of almost like a village where these things lived. And he said piles of bones where they were eating. And he said that he found a dead moose and two nests and they were consuming this moose. And he said he put up seventeen Martin boxes in that valley. And he said there was not a track of there was no martins, no wolves, no nothing. He said, these things lived in that valley and I think it was the valley. Well, they they eventually went in and clear cut the whole thing and that's what. Another thing that the trapper told me, he says, if anybody reports a sasquatchy, they come within weeks and they clear cut the area. He said, they don't give us any Normally, they'll give us a year's warning. He said, they come in and they logged day and night. They bring in private contractors and he says they logged the area out anytime there's a sighting there that Alberta habituation site is being logged as we speak. Oh God, is what it is? You know, there's there's more to this than they're letting on. One of the a guy pretty high up in fishing wildlife, you know, he knew I was interested, so he he decided to give me reports. He says, we get reports all the time, but we don't know what to do with him. He says, I'll just forward them to you. So he forwarded one and man, did he get in trouble.
Speaker 3: Hmm.
Speaker 5: They're monitoring as the communications.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, they they he got in trouble for it, and that was the end of it. So there was another guy that was telling me stuff. But I mean, it's so a different guy. They have to keep it so so quiet. You know, there's there, there's something. You know, there's something that I mean, they know, they they know that's interesting.
Speaker 2: I get reports from the local forest service and no one seems to care. So maybe it's just different in Canada for the amount of resource that you guys have, like forest resource versus what we sell.
Speaker 3: You know, maybe it's just a difference in there.
Speaker 1: I don't know, but there's just anecdotal evidence that you know that there was one guy here that was a biologist and he worked close with the game ranchers. His job was cleaning bones that they put into the storage at the you know, the government buildings there, and he'd get a few drinks in them and he'd start talking and he said that he said, he's not allowed to talk about it. He can get in big trouble, but there's things living in our forest, if you had any clue. And he'd go on and on. And then I talked to another one of the trappers knew him because he actually had dealings with them, and he said that, yeah, I know that guy, and he evoked the word sasquatch. He said the word sasquatching.
Speaker 3: Now a little while ago in our conversation, Now you brought up something that made me want to ask something. But uh, you mentioned that the trapper gentleman was saying that it takes about two years for the wolves to acclimate to one's presence and from his experience, and so it seemed to take about six years for the Sasquatches to do the same. Now that that's on the Sasquatch side of fits, give me, can you give me an idea how much time this gentleman actually spent in that area to qualified for those six years? Like it was it?
Speaker 2: I mean, if it's a once a week thing, you know, six years, you know what I mean? Like, it depends on how much he was there that that six years matters, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Well, when they have traps out, they have to they can't go too long without checking them because because they're you know, a wolverine will follow your trap line and destroy every piece of fur. So you know, you have kind of short seasons for the links you have. For the Martins, the wolf season is a little longer, so they're out there at least at least twice a week in the winter. And I think that once they realized what you know, they understood what he was doing and just somehow or another, he said, they acclimated. Well, this was a theory of the okay, he said a lot of a lot of strange things. He said. One of the things that they used to do to him was they would walk around upwind of him and and he would get that smell and that used to really kind of freak him out. And so and to be honest, the same thing happened to me when I was in there. That was actually when I stopped going by myself in there. When that happened to me, I was way far back. It would likely wouldn't have found me if something happened to me. And suddenly I drove my quad into an intersection and that stink hit me. And I mean, and this was really I've smelt the skunky wet dog ones, but this thing was off the charts. It was like vomit and sulfur and dead rotten grass and bo It was hard to explain. It was. It was the best word I can use to explain. The odor was offensive. You know when you walk into a room when somebody's puked on the floor and you're like, oh, and you have to get out. Yeah, Yeah, it had that effect, and the hair went up on the back of my neck because the wind took the smell away. And I realized whatever did this was still watching me, and it really freaked me out. So I didn't want to go in there by myself anymore. And that's how I ended up bringing the other fellow in that ended up outing the area to the other guy, so unfortunately, But but I mean I really had you know when that happens. And that's what the trapper said, that used to happen before he realized what it was, and.
Speaker 4: He said that harassed him. What would harassment mean? Like rating is powerful? Would his traps get ready of? Like what do you think the big foots were stealing his cats?
Speaker 1: Actually, what they would do is they they would take the trap out of the Martin box still set, and they would reach in and they would take the beaver meat out with the Martin magic on it and eat it. And then he said every time they stole from one of those boxes, and they would put three small stones on the top of the box, always three small stones. And you know, I remember reading the stories about that woman who had said they used to come into her barn and get into her horse feed and you know, I didn't know how badly I wanted to believe these stories. But I'll tell you what when she said that she always knew when they were in the horse feed because they left three rocks on the top of the that stopped me in my tracks.
Speaker 2: Stay tuned for more Bigfoot and Beyond with Cliff and Bogo. Will be right back after these messages.
Speaker 1: One thing about this trapper he I mean, he used to carry those phones, you know that you buy the disposable phones. Yeah, and he even had pictures that he wouldn't give them to me, but he said he snapped pictures of a big one walking across the oilies at the end of that road on the habituation, and he didn't want to give them to me. And I tried to get them, but you know, he definitely didn't know. I never did see them. No, Like I said, he was so angry at me when the other guys showed up in there and everybody started going there, and he blamed me and said I was the one who did it, but I wasn't. I finally convinced him after a few years, or his brother convinced him, because you know, it wasn't me. I didn't. I didn't he That was the one thing I promised him, is that I wouldn't turn his trap line into his zoo. And unfortunately, that's that's what happened, and it still is. You know, you can go there on the I took my girlfriend up there on the weekend. She's not necessarily a believer. She's very much on the fence. She knows that I'm not a liar, but she finds it.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: But there was a couple of people from the Alberta Sasquatch Group camp there and one of the guys talked about his sighting matter of factly, and I was fun watching her hear the story because you know, it kind of confused her, like this guy doesn't seem crazy, this guy. And I told her, I said, I'm not going to tell you what to believe. And I showed her some tree structures and some tree breaks and you know, but now there's there's always people there.
Speaker 6: I've always been like so fascinated with these stories because I really loved the long term like repeat in countercases. And obviously there's so many people that, like you mentioned, that go back, you know, once or twice a year, and they make all these grand proclamations. But given that those trappers had so many years of experiences, I wanted what other insights you glean from them that you found to be like really useful or you know, insightful or maybe unexpected beyond the ones we've touched on already. Was there anything else that you learned that you thought, oh, wow, that's really fascinating or useful.
Speaker 1: Well, that area got really well known for the tree structures, and the trappers had no clue what those were. It was only when we went in in the wintertime on this skado and I found the first tree structure, and then they got quite interested. They just figured, you know, they they didn't they I mean they weren't. They weren't versed in Bigfoot. But basically all the areas where they said that, you know, the activity was was full of these structures and high tree breaks, and so that was interesting because it wasn't the trappers knew nothing about that. You know. I found those myself and then I showed them and I explained, and then I took, you know, pictures from the Internet and kind of versed the trapper in that and said, this is where in areas of activity, this is what they're finding. And I said, you know, this corroborates everything that your brother's telling us. So that was I found that that was interesting. But to be honest, I never I these guys. I would never They're not people I would ever doubt if they told me something. It's the gospel. That's they're just the way they are, the kind of people they are. They have nothing to gain by telling me these things and everything to lose.
Speaker 5: I mean, I was just so fascinated.
Speaker 6: And you know, we'd always wondered if maybe they were preying on coyotes in different parts of the country, and it seemed like that must be the case. If they're raiding those traps and taking coyote car because is that it's probably for consumption.
Speaker 3: I would guess, oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they ate them. And he told me that he had long snares, and he caught the little one on a long snare. And what happens when you catch something on it, they have like a temporary hold on the snare. It gets around the wolf's neck, scares the wolf, and the wolf bolts and he gets going, well, you know, as fast as they can run. And then he comes to the end of the long snare, and it cinches down so tight instantly that it kills the wolf within moments because it cuts off the circulation to their brain. That's why they used the long snares. And so what he said that they if he had a coyote in a long snare, he said, they would take the coyote and flip it up over a branch, pull the skin off, and drop the skin under the tree, he says, and then they would just stand there and eat it and leave the spinal column and whatever left in the snareff Apparently he did, Yeah, but he would never give me any of his pictures, and I never gave them to his brother. Either his son's my have them. But I was of the understanding that he never told his sons about this.
Speaker 4: Did they report getting like rocks or pebbles or plant consort out them or around them?
Speaker 1: No. I got hit years ago when I was out hunting. I got hit with a pebble in an area that I now realize has activity. And I always thought, why would a squirrel or something carry a rock up a tree. It didn't make any sense to me. Years later I realized that there was a sasquatch standing behind the closest big tree snickering at me. You know, but I remember picking up the rock and putting it in my pocket and taking it back to camp and saying, this rock hit me, you know. So, but there is quite a few stories of people having things thrown, that's for sure.
Speaker 3: So, Ken, with all this knowledge given to you by a variety of people who have interacted and seen these things, if you were intent on seeing a sasquatch, what would you do to get that job done?
Speaker 1: I bought a like a thermal the other day or a year, two years ago, top of the line, like a thermal. The thing is amazing. You can see anything within like three miles with it, and it's crystal clear, and you can record with it too. But if I wanted to see one, I would definitely I would go out to an area where people don't go very often, and I would take my thermal and I'd sit up all night and you know, maybe give a call or hit a tree and just wait for some heat of signature to come through the trees. You know, I guess that's what I would do.
Speaker 3: Maybe slather some Martin magic on you.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, or I definitely would put some of that out. But you know, it's kind of like I was riding my quad up the trail and our other researcher friend was walking there with one of his friends and walking up the road, and so I stopped and said hi to him, and he said, you know, they they can hear that thing a mile away. And I said to him, I said, do you think they don't know you're in here? I said, I said, first of all, you know, you might think you're stealthy, but you're never fool these creatures ever. You know, it's very very rare they're caught with their you know, especially in this area where they know people are looking for them. You know, I mean I I first thing I do when I get in there is I give a kind of a distinctive call, you know, that woo loop call. They call it woo loop, like a whoop kind of like yeah, like oh like that oh sure, uh huh yeah, the one from the Sierra Sounds. I do that call every time I come there, and every time straight ahead and then to the right, I hear a branch break, a tree gets hit, or there's there's some sort of a sound like they're always sitting in that spot off that, and I always go in there every time, and I do that call. And then after I went to bed, they had the recorder up and that exact same call came from the exact same place that I told you out at like three in the morning. And I mean, it sounded so much like the call I make that it they just thought it was me, But I know I was sleeping. But I mean, they're smart. They're just they're smart, and that's all there is to it. You know, you're not gonna go in there and fool them. But I think that if I went like out to this area where I was telling you about a past little smokey there, since nobody really goes in there and looks, I think I would have a good chance of having one come in and maybe getting a chance to see him in a thermal. You know, that's what I would do. But I mean in an area of high activity, especially an area where people are looking, it's I mean, it's going to be real hard. The trapper told me that every time he saw one, he said, it was quite obvious that they wanted him to see them.
Speaker 4: How say, how many times you actually saw them? Doesn't he like laid eyes on them?
Speaker 1: He said there's a number of times where he saw a flash. But he said he had about seven crystal clear sightings.
Speaker 3: And most of these were during the day or at night.
Speaker 1: During the day, but he said almost always when there was snowing or when the fog was on the ground. He said, there they'll step out of the fog. He said, he used to come like if you come across that berm where Jeff saw his, and then you go up to the top of that hill, it kind of straightens out and there's a long valley on the road that goes to the it goes to the lease where he took those pictures, and he said he would come over that hill and he would start coming down, he says, and just in front of that clearing that lease, he says, a sasquatch would walk out of the trees and look at him. And he said every single time it was like they just didn't want him to come down there, so they would step out in the open, and he said he would turn his quad around and go back. He said that it was funny because he talked about fear. He said, I'm not scared of anything, and this guy was a monster like you. I mean and he would get into a brawl with five six guys and he'd just lay him up. He was he was a tough customer, and he was scared of nothing. But he told me, he says, I'm scared of nothing, but those things petrify me, is how he put it. That was the word petrify me, you know. And that was that was in a conversation directly with the main trapper. You know, he didn't he didn't like, he liked He kind of liked me, you know. I mean, of course I would never give him reason not to, but it's.
Speaker 3: A wise move.
Speaker 1: Well, he was an interesting guy, you know, he was kind of he was one of those guys that he could be your best friend or your worst enemy, just depending on how you decided to treat him.
Speaker 3: I tried.
Speaker 1: I tried treated him with a great deal of respect. I had a lot of respect for him, and I have a lot of respect for his brother too.
Speaker 2: Stay tuned for more Bigfoot and Beyond with Cliff and Bobo will be right back after these messages. Did they seem to show a preference for any sort of food items that he either were in his traps or natural food items that were found in the area, or even stuff that they raided from his camps or something like that. Can you think of anything along those lines coyotes coyotes?
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, he said that he used to all the coyotes. He skinned, the ones he got from around home. He brought them out there, and he figured that as long as he was feeding them coyotes, they would leave them alone. That was his reasoning, because he was quite scared of them. And they love, he said, they love coyotes. And you know, I mean, how many you guys go through all of the reports. Whenever I see a coyote tore up or something in a you know, in an account, I just kind of smile because it just corroborates what I was already told.
Speaker 3: Years and years and years ago. I was living out outside of Chimmicum, Washington, up there by Port Angeles, and one time I saw a vulture circling around in the back of the property I was living, and I went out there and I saw I saw ace ginned coyote about twenty to twenty five feet up into the tree. Does I mean you mentioned just a little while ago about skinning coyotes on branches, and you were saying that they do something with them. But have you heard of something like that where it's like twenty twenty five feet up into a tree.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that's probably the big guy. I mean, you know, he something he didn't want to eat, right then he put it up in the tree to come back and get it. I don't know, but you know what, like you hear lots of stories about things like I was on a hunting forum and they were talking about the strangest thing you'd ever seen. And these guys said that there was a pig up about five miles out of the farmland. There was a pig, a dead pig, jammed up in the tree about twenty feet and they said when somebody went on there says, oh, cougars do that. Well, cougars do not do that ever. And the other thing. The guy came back, he said, this wasn't a wiener pig. He said, this was like a four hundred pound pig, like a giant pig. And you know, I didn't comment, but I knew what it was. It's the only thing I really could have been.
Speaker 4: My contacts in Canada told me that their favorite foods were coyote and black bear cubs.
Speaker 1: Oh well, wouldn't surprise me. I mean, grizzlies and wolves love black bear too. Black bear is very good. I mean I like him too. I put him in the crock pot. Black bear is one of the best things you'll ever eat.
Speaker 4: Yeah, people have talked bad about it, and I grew up here in that mountain.
Speaker 5: Lion tasted tereable. Now alone says how great it is.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, no they I put him in the slow cooker and man, it's really really good. But yeah, coyotes for some reason that they seem to like them, and they like dogs too. There's lots of stories of dogs getting taken, but I haven't. I haven't got any anecdotes on the bears. But there is no black bears. There are very few black bears up in that country where I go, Like up in the mountains there, that's all grizzly bears. The grizzly bears keep the black bears eating up.
Speaker 4: Have you heard his stories about people finding like there carcasses that think like or maybe had bigfoot tracks around him. Any indication of a sasquatch preying on a bear that you've heard of.
Speaker 1: No, I haven't. Just there was one time the trapper told me that in the spring he had taken two road killed mulier and put them into a bait site, and he said that the Sasquatches took them. They said there was two adults and a little one and they walked. He's got he took a lot of pictures. But the other thing he said that I found really interesting. And he had pictures of this, and like I said, wouldn't give them to me. But they sat. They took the bones from the mealdier after they ate them, and they made designs in the snow with the bones. They built little pictures and crosses and things, you know, right in the snow, right with the tracks and everything. And Matt, I wish I could have got those pictures because it would corroborate the tracks, would corroborate that they are in fact making these designs with sticks and things on the ground.
Speaker 3: And yeah, because that's missing at this point. I mean, there's lots of pictures and anecdotes about I mean the structures and then the glyphs and the signs and this and that and stuff, but there's very very little, if any corroboration between Sasquatch tracks and these anomalies that people reported me. I'd love to see more with some of that.
Speaker 1: I remember that Survivor Man episode where they first went into the Alberta habituation and they went to that one big teepee structure that was the first one the trapper and I ever found, and they put apples on there or something, and then they had a track in the moss and it had a really narrow heel. It was a smaller one that was a real track, and I've seen two tracks now. I have pictures of when they're younger. They have a narrow heel, really narrow actually, and then wide in the front. And that track that they found on that show was identical to what, you know, what we've found. I mean, they're always around there that that area, but I think but most of those tree structures are down now somebody or something came and knocked them down.
Speaker 3: They clued in that humans were onto him or something.
Speaker 1: Well that or it could have. I mean I tried to find out if the trapper did it, because you know, he was pissed at all of the activity, but he swears up and down that he didn't, so I don't know. But there was some other guys out there that you know, it just it gets to be, Oh, it's so tedious, but you know, people start thinking that it's their spot, and you know, they do stupid things. They're getting to be too many, too much attention. But I also agree because I found on one of the tree structures there was a game trail, a very solid one, and if you stood at the tree structure and looked up in the direction of the game trail, you could see another structure just about out of sight. So he walked up to that one and looked up the trail again, and you could actually follow the trail, and there was structures always within sight along this trail, and that was very close to that might even be right where where that incident took place. And I came back out a couple of weeks later, and the original structure was smashed down to the ground, and the other guy with me was trying to find that trail again. I didn't want to follow it in because I didn't have my gun with me and I just wasn't prepared. I wanted to come back and walk that trail and see what I would find if I followed it in, but I wasn't willing to do it that day, and so I took that. I have a photograph of me standing under that structure. So I just took the photograph and I found where it was, so I could always find my way back to it by looking at the other trees. But yeah, you know, there's they're always in those areas where they are, they're always watching. They're they're they're watching. Yeah, they're paying attention.
Speaker 4: Did he ever mention anything about how like when the tracks should back up, like how it would affect my woolf or bear behavior or prey items.
Speaker 1: The only time he talked about that that area, that one valley was he said there was nothing else in that valley where they lived, where the main valley, and he said, if you ever wanted to see a track, he said, there was tracks everywhere in there, but there was never people. He said, they purposely don't leave tracks where they know people are. But he said there was never any people in there. And so he said there was tracks wherever you wanted to find them, but that area they ended up going in there and raising it to the ground.
Speaker 5: How many acres do they take down?
Speaker 1: Oh, they take they take down square miles.
Speaker 4: That's crazy. And howld was that valley? Like, how big was the valley again where.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure how big it was because I could never get them to take me in there.
Speaker 4: And he had seventeen traps or how they put the traps, like every two hundred yards apart or something.
Speaker 1: I don't know. But he said that there was no martins. He said there was nothing. There wasn't even birds in there. He said it was just where those things lived. He said there was no life whatsoever. And then on the edge of the valley they found that, like I said, that moose, and there was two bigfoot nests right there, and the moose was being consumed.
Speaker 2: Stay tuned for more Bigfoot and Beyond with Cliff and Bobo. Will be right back after these messages.
Speaker 6: I don't one of the things I'm curious about, but I know that the listeners are too. Given your position and how many awesome reports come into you. Were there any reports that came in since the last time we talked to you, or since Big Fur came out that really stuck with you in the last few years, since we've gotten to catch up with you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I hear so many of them. You know, it's getting to the point now where like in the hunting community, there's a lot more hunters seeing these things than people realize. So you know, get I get quite a few reports from people, but it's you know, just sit down and anecdotes all the time. Here's a little story that you might find interesting. I had a girl working here back in like two thousand and fifteen, and at the time I was doing a my daughter and I were doing a big display of animals for the new Alberta Museum, and I was working with a biologist. He was a great guy. He's retired now, and he was always interested that I, you know that I was basically somebody who wasn't a kook that believed that, you know, these creatures were out there. And so he was in the in my shop one day and this girl was working and so I said, go and talk to this girl here. She was part Native, and so she pulled out her iPhone and she had about fifteen pictures of a sasquatch up on the side of a mountain that she took over by in British Columbia when she went to school there. It was by what's the name of that ski resort anyway, famous ski resort. They were driving out of there, and she said it was, yeah, it was Whistler. And so it was standing there and I took a picture off of her. I took all of them. One point it sat down, another point it stood up. But there was one picture where you could see the kind of lean from the shoulders, which is typical, and this thing was big and it was just standing there. She said it was there when they drove away. She knew what it was because you know, the native community, they just it's just a matter of fact. And her mother was with her, and I mean, she never even told me, after a couple months of working for me that she had those pictures. So she showed the biologist and he was looking at it, and she showed them the pictures and you know, you zoom in, and I've showed it to pictures and to people and I say, well, it's a tree. And I said, well, I have another one where it's actually sat down. And I said, oh, you'll have to show me that. And I said, I have to show you nothing. I'm just showing you what somebody showed Pete. But anyways, he was asking her questions and he came and said something to me afterwards that I never forgot and he said, you know, in all honesty, he said, if you ever want to prove this, he said, you have to have either a body or a skull. He said you need to have that, and I said why and he said, just I have a funny feeling, he said, I think he knew something. He said that you know they're going to explain away DNA, he said, explain away all this stuff, he said, but you have to have something that can't be explained away. And he said, you know, a body or a skull. He said, that's what you need. And he was pretty serious. So I often thought about what he had to say, and I kind of take that position.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 1: It's why I gave away all my DNA samples to Tyler. I just if I find any more, you know, DNA samples or whatever, I'll give them to somebody that I think is going to do something with them. But I'm not going to make a big deal unless some hunter drops one of my yard and drives away, Well, then I'll make a big deal out of it.
Speaker 2: Well, can do you have anything coming up that you'd like to tell our audience before we go on and do Our member side of the episode. Is there anything coming up that they people can support you in or don't know appearances, books, I don't know anything.
Speaker 1: No, I haven't. I haven't really been. I've been kind of away from the subject for a while. I still I'm still there, but I'm I kind of took a step back, you know. I'm I listened to things, I'm waiting for things, but I'm not out there and active these days so much. I'm still collecting information as much as I can get. You know, I'm watching different different things on YouTube if it's interesting to me while I'm working in doing my sculpting in here. A lot of times I'll put accounts onto the computer and listen to them while I'm working. But I'm I haven't really been active. But if I do put cameras out, if I do have something on the go, I'm going to be really low key about it, you know. I just I don't know the whole the whole thing about, you know, knowledge of these creatures and it being suppressed, and think it kind of spooks me a little bit. I don't know.
Speaker 4: Clip and not think I'm like delusional paranoid like that that they monitor bigfoot activity.
Speaker 2: But that's not why we think that, Bobo. That's one of the reasons.
Speaker 5: That's the reason. That's reason thirty four, Section C.
Speaker 1: No, I you know, I don't know, like you know, everybody says, well, you know, how do you make a how can you make a million dollars from sasquatch or or more? Well, the quickest way is to sell it to the forestry company. And uh, but if you do that, get your affairs in order, because now you're a loose end. I just got I you know, in all honesty, I there's just too much at stake for some people. Problem with wisdom is it comes with age? Yeah, I just it really spooks me, to be honest.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: The more I the more I hear, you know, I I would like somebody to just come and sit down and tell me why why is it being suppressed? What's the reason that I don't know that would make me agree with you? You know, I would just like to know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, none of that makes very much sense to me. I don't know. I mean, other than money, why would anybody care?
Speaker 5: And well, also pretty big reason.
Speaker 1: Well, the thing is that there's two reasons, actually money and another one that leads back to money, and that's liability.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: Imagine you had a kid that went missing in the forest and then they find out years later that you knew these things existed and that they sometimes take kids, and yet that was never You know, there's liability in the truth coming out, a lot of it, a lot of it. And that that's another thing too, you know. Yeah, like all of those things. And I mean I hear stories. I had a guy in my shop, A sasquatch tried to grab him when he was a kid. He fired three shots to turn it and he he melted down and started crying in my shop telling me the story. I felt so and then Nick guy never came back. He left his all his animals here. I can't find him. He's gone on.
Speaker 4: You know, I think we got to get a story on the Patreon the Patreon section when we switch over now to the Patreon account.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's let's move over to the members section right now, and we can talk about some of the other things that might be a little bit more sensitive. And I know our members have a lot of questions for you too. We solicten some wonderful questions from them.
Speaker 4: Now, well, people now know while we were so excited to have Ken on like this is our This is one of our top episodes for sure. Thank you so much, Ken Walker for coming on. Yeah, folks, so check out the old documentary Big Fur and that's history. But Ken is looking forward to the future and the next project where we hopefully get some more answers to the squatch mystery. But so we're gonna go to our patreons actually for the members, and we just want to thank Ken so much for coming on. And all right, folks, till next week, keep it as squatchy as Ken does.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to this week's episode of Bigfoot and Beyond. If you liked what you heard, please rate and review us on iTunes, subscribe to Bigfoot and Beyond wherever you get your podcasts, and follow us on Facebook and Instagram at Bigfoot and Beyond podcast. You can find us on Twitter at Bigfoot and Beyond that's an N in the middle, and tweet us your thoughts and questions with the hashtag Bigfoot and Beyond.