Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick coffee.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get it started hour number two. Here on a Thursday afternoon, I feel like the weekend's already here because we got football tonight, some college action, not a big game, but Thursday night football, Patriots and the Jets, And of course we're just a couple of days away from the Louisville Cardinals taken on Georgia Tech in their first test, and then of course at Kentucky they play Ohio. I think it is and you know, not much of not much interest in this game, of course, unless you're a Kentucky fan, which I totally understand. It's your team and it is a chance for them to get a win, but it probably won't do much to kind of take away the bad taste in your mouth after the last couple of weeks. But no doubt about it. College football seasons here, the NFL season is here, and that makes me a very very happy man. I'm a little distracted here as we come back from break because I was talking to a friend, an acquaintance that is big Louisville fan, that hit me up last week about something that they wanted to they wanted to offer, and I'm thinking, if you can make this happen, it's great. Well, I just got official confirmation that it is happening, and I'll figure out how we're going to do it. But I've got four tickets to the Notre Dame Louisville game up in South Bend next week. Then I'm going to give away on the show. I'll do it next week. So I don't know how we're gonna give them away, but I did just get you know, I never want to mention something like that and unless I know we can actually do it. But I have the tickets myself. Now. Unfortunately they're not in the Louisville section, but that's okay. It's four free tickets to go see Louisville and Notre Dame and hopefully, you know, as a Louisville fan, I'm hopeful that it'll be Louisville with an unefeated record and a chance to go pick up to go pick up their second ever victory up there in South Bend. All right, let's bring him in. He's Kent Spencer from w h AS eleven, joining us here on Sports Talk seven to ninety Ken, how are we doing, brother?
Speaker 3: Oh man, I'm doing great. I'm doing great. Well.
Speaker 2: I'm very happy to hear that, and I will start. Let's just start with the Cards here. If you I don't, I feel like I'm a fraud if I say this is a huge game with Georgia Tech coming to town on Saturday, because it really isn't in the grand scheme of things when it comes to the college football landscape this weekend, and even for Louisville. I mean, every game counts in conference play, and you obviously want to win as many games as possible, and you only have twelve of them. But how would you describe this matchup as we as we get set to see this team tested for the first time.
Speaker 3: No, look, I mean I think it's a I think it's a critically important game for the Cards to be. To be quite honest with you, I mean, you know, you have to be able to take care of business at home and especially against you know, teams that there might be some similarities there or you might you know, everybody kind of feels that you're better than on paper, So you've got to be able to kind of take care of business at home, and so you know, for Louisville, you know, to accomplish what they want to accomplish, you know, like like the road isn't completely easy for them, you know, so so games like this are are kind of must haves and and games that you want to put in your in your back pocket going forward. So you know, and I'm to be quite honest, like I have been impressive, impressed by what I've seen from from Louisville against inferior competition. I want to see how that translates to a team in their conference that that's played some good football so far this year.
Speaker 2: Doesn't it feel like, even though he has no control over it, that that Jeff Brown isn't a big fan of how the schedules set up this year with Indiana dropping out, so they've got Jacksonville State added at the last minute, and then a bye week in week three, which is just weird. I mean, again, it's out of his control. I think his team's gonna come ready to play. But just in every every every since I've heard him since following their Jacksonville State victory, his press comments earlier this week, and even a little bit of his Coaches Show last night, like this, this is not ideal for him.
Speaker 3: I don't think no, I think he hated this bye week with the fire of a thousand sons, well said I And I think that I think that he hated you know, having you know, you know, like back to back layups and then a bye week, and you know, before you get into kind of the meeting, it's late.
Speaker 2: September and you've had no real I mean your best test has been your scrimmages in camp, i'd say.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, yeah, one hundred percent. And so yeah, I mean I don't think that I don't think he's completely comfortable with that. And and mainly because you know, you want some juice with your guys, and you know what, to be quite honest with you, you know, now, don't get me wrong. You know, in this day and age of college football, you know, guys are a little older at times, but you know, even the like they're still kids and they don't you know, fully understand sometimes the importance of you know, kind of punch the clock each and every single day. And so you know, they that's.
Speaker 2: Not just kids, that's humans, Ken, that's me.
Speaker 3: Look, I mean they take things for granted, and so like, is he maybe in the back of his mind, like, is he worried a little bit that you know, they may have it may have been too easy for him, and he's worried about how they're going to come out of the gates on Saturday. Probably, you know, And you know, I think a lot of times these guys worry about a lot of things. But yeah, no, I don't think he likes this schedule. I think he wishes he had better tune ups before he started conference play. But you know what, Look, this is the this is the hand they were dealt and so they got to play the cards.
Speaker 2: What do you make of this Georgia Tech team? Not that you've been focusing on them specifically, but Brett Key's pretty impressive to me. I think he's done a good job of being able to really convince his guys that backs against the wall, they're doubted. Every coach wants to give their team locker you know, bulletin board material in the locker room and tell them that they're doubted. But I think he's he's shown in his brief time as a head coach that when they're big underdogs, he's not only going to cover, They're gonna find a way to outright win some games. They've never lost back to back games with him as a head coach there. I think from a personnel standpoint, they've got They've got some dudes, so uh, they have been tested to some extent. Their Florida State victory doesn't look as good now as it did when it happened, but still it's it's it's a it's a victory against an ACC team, and I actually am trying I give them a little bit of the benefit of the doubt with Syracuse because they were This team's played four games right now, no bye week because they played Week zero, unlike most teams. So you're not sure if you know a whole lot about this this Georgia Tech squad. But I would not be shocked if we get to the end of the year, even though they have a very challenging schedule, but they still are a top five ACC team.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, let me let me just say this. I think, Hey, I think this is a I think Georgia Tech is an extremely gritty team. Like whatever you're gonna get against Georgia Tech. From from what I've seen, you know, even from last year's game to to what they are, you know so far this year, like whatever you're gonna get against them, you're gonna have to earn it.
Speaker 2: And they look like they're coach by a former offensive lineman, right, yeah, Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think James King has gotten a lot better from the time that we saw him last year. So I think he's improved as a quarterback. And you're one hundred percent right, Like, you know, when the Florida State win happened, it looked a heck of a lot better than it does now. Syrahcuse, what what is Syracuse? Like? You know, they've had a couple of games, but that's kind of been it. You know, we'll figure out, you know what that that Syracuse game was, you know, as the Orange get farther down the road. But I still think like this is going to be like you're going to have to earn this victory on Saturday if you're Louisville, because I don't think Georgia Tech is just going to give.
Speaker 2: It to you, no doubt about it. Kin Spencer's our guest joining us here on Sports Talk seven to ninety. Let's switch gears to the Kentucky side of things, a much different conversation this week. Well, I don't know it's different because I don't know if anybody expected Kentucky to be in a position to potentially win that game against Georgie. I think it was fair to expect them to kind of bounce back. I think they've done that under Mark Stoops under some after some bad losses. But let's just go back to Saturday night. Were you were you shocked, even though you might not have done the same thing. Were you shocked or we were you expecting Stoops to punt it away? There?
Speaker 3: So the two so the two calls can I I'm going to go into both calls that I think a lot of people kind of rusted.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 3: There was one at the end of the first half where they just kind of elected to kind of settle for a field goal at the end of the half against Georgia and then go into the locker room with a six to three lead. That's that's a call that I actually don't question because, again, in that moment against that defense, do you feel one hundred percent comfortable that your quarterback isn't going to take a sack or throw a pick? Because you gotta be you got to be one hundred percent comfortable with that he's not going to do those two things. If I'm Mark Stoops, I wouldn't. I wouldn't feel one hundred percent comfortable about that against that defense in a short field, so I don't. I didn't mind him kicking the field goal there because they were also getting the ball coming out in the second half, so I didn't mind that at all. I thought the fourth down punt, I thought that was a really bad call. And the reason is is you're at midfield. You just need a field goal to win the game at that point, and you're playing against the number one team in the country. And let's be honest, like they didn't win the national championship, but Georgia has ruled college football for the past three or four years, and so in my opinion, like you're gonna have to go make something happen, and that was an opportune time to try to go make something happen. They don't do it. And by the way, you know, Kentucky has doesn't have a good punter, so it's not like you know, you know you're gonna pin them back and all of this other stuff, like does it really matter if you were giving them the ball at the fifty or the forty five yard line. At the time, I didn't think so I thought that was a bad decision.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he's mentioned, you know, they're I don't have the quote in front of me that they're not necessarily built to, you know, to to go down the field against George. But like that's even more so reason why you'd go for, wouldn't it not, Because again, that's it's like best case scenario. You know, you get the ball back, no timeouts, not a lot of time, you're gonna have to basically turn into a team that you just said you're not you're not built for.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean if you got the ball, if you got the ball at midfield, there's no guarantee that you could just march right back to that position in thirty seconds. And so you know, because you know, and even though in that moment, you were probably gonna have to make a play in the in the passing game. Like, in my opinion, I think the jury for them is still very much out when it comes to their passing game. Against South Carolina. They didn't have any offensive line help at all. And and look, I get it, George is awesome, but and I don't, you know, maybe there were more plays to be made in the passing game. But I don't think they've really proven anything in these last two games that that they can throw the ball and throw the ball effect.
Speaker 2: Do you think do you think there we haven't have we I honestly don't think we've really had a fair opportunity to evaluate if Brock vandergriff is capable of really being a guy that that that can lead not a heavy half passing attack, but a guy that can really utilize his arm, because you know, George is clearly gonna get after you. They're gonna you're you're playing is going to be to run the ball and be conservative, conservative against them, and then against South Carolina. I don't know if he ever had any time so in a weird way, you know, they've played, they've played three games up to this point, but I kind of feel like, you know, he did show some toughness against Georgia. He looked like a gamer that stood out to me honestly, is a guy who was ready to compete. I know it's his former team, but I thought he looked not too big for the moment, necessarily as a competitor and and and as a guy that has some toughness, but I don't know if we know if he's got the arm needed to utilize those weapons he has in Dane Key and Bearing.
Speaker 3: Brown and that, and and you know, you're right, the jury is very much still out, and I think you'd like to be like by the time you're going into week four, I think you'd like to know that answer sure, or or have a better or have a better indicator of what of what he is. And look, you know, he looked a little shaky in his first starting at the Southern Miss and then he settled in quite nicely and had a nice game. But you're right, he was under attack and Georgia is Georgia. That's why, to be quite honest with you, we'll probably figure out a lot more about him against Ohio. Sure, Ohio's a pretty good team.
Speaker 2: Yep, they were in they I mean they could have beat Syracuse, that team that beat Georgia Tech. So no, I think it'll in a way, it's kind of a really nice it's a nice opponent because yes, you are supposed to win. I'm not gonna act like Ohio would be a team that really is going to challenge them in a major way. At least they shouldn't. But Ohio is not you know, Austin p It's not even Southern miss to be honest with you, So I guess and we'll never know. But how do you think they bounced back? I mean you, there have been two different teams in the last two years that did almost exactly what Kentucky just did. It was Missouri a couple of years ago. Georgia's on the road, Missouri outplayed him. Georgia, you know, is able to hang on. Missouri doesn't really pick up off that they finished with a losing record last year Auburn, they outplayed him in that game at Auburn. Georgia finds a way to win. Auburn has a losing record, loses through New Mexico State. Again, I'm asking you to predict the future here, but how do you see them responding to on Saturday against Ohio? I mean, I I feel like Stoops's team sometimes have been really hard to predict.
Speaker 3: You know, I I honestly think and this is I'm gonna go completely reversal of what I thought. Like I thought it was gonna be last Saturday. It was gonna be a blood bath. Yeah, I thought it was gonna be bad.
Speaker 2: Vibes were as bad as I can remember for Stoops at that time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like I think I was completely shocked by what I saw. So I actually think that maybe that team against Georgia learned a lot about themselves, about what they what they can be, you know, in a in a dog fight like that. So so I honestly think that they bounce back in a positive way this week. And that's not always the case. Like I think that, you know, whatever their preparation was last week, whatever, you know, they kind of they were definitely dialed in, specially you know, defensively in the run game and all that stuff. So if they can take that positive, and they can they can move it forward against Ohio this week, then I think they have a positive bound back to it.
Speaker 2: All Right, rapid fire Kent, are you going to Bourbon and beyond? I am not if you were gonna go and you may not even know the lineup. You gotta work. You're a hard working man, You've got family, you got priorities, and not even sure if you're a music festival guy. Of the artists there who would intrigue you the most?
Speaker 3: Can it can? This is? This is I'm so locked in, like I could, I could. I can tell you about high school field hockey right now because my daughter's in it, but I couldn't tell you about Bourbon and Beyond.
Speaker 2: I love it. That's a dad vibe right there.
Speaker 3: I'm completely dialed in. Give me, give me like five or six of the of the big bands.
Speaker 2: Okay, So Zach Bryan is the guy who seems to be like on top of the world right now. He's headlining on Saturday. Uh. Sting will be there. Dave Matthews Band, Uh yeah, Tyler Childers is there, match Box I mentioned Maxbox twenty, my Morning Jacket, Whiskey Meyers, Cody Jinks, and again, I've heard of a lot Teddy Swims. I've heard of a lot of these bands and artists, but I'm not I mean, it's not necessarily music festivals in general aren't really my cup of tea. But do any of those names intrigue you at all? If they don't, it's fun.
Speaker 3: Sting Sting honestly would intrigue me a little bit. And then and then early Dave Matthews Band wouldn't would intrigue me. Yeah, those two would probably be the ones that that get me going to the most. I didn't know if like a Pearl jam was back this year or anything like that. So yeah, those I guess Sting and Dave Matthews band for me.
Speaker 2: All Right, who is the most underrated quarterback in the NFL?
Speaker 3: Maybe right now? Maybe maybe Baker Mayfield.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was gonna go he's starting to get some love again. But I think that's I think that's a good call. A guy who was looked to be done in the NFL bouncing around and now he's found a nice, a nice, a nice spot in Tampa and there they look like a pretty good team at this point.
Speaker 3: And by the way, not only is he playing well like his teammates love.
Speaker 2: Him, yeah, because he I mean, he seems to be really unpopular, or at least he was with kind of how he carried himself in college and early on in the NFL, And I never really understood it totally. I mean, I guess maybe he was kind of a knucklehead with some of the stuff he would do. But like I think, if you're a competitor, like in the locker room, like you respect the hell out of that guy. Because I've always it's weird. I've always been a big make Baker. I just love his story and I'm actually not that surprised to see him thriving because he's got a belief in himself that at times you can just tell because he'll you know, and his younger self would tell you, or maybe his actions. But he's got a quiet confidence and I think, you know, the respect that he gets from his guys is a good I mean, I'm with you. You can tell that they feel good about him being their guy moving forward in Tampa.
Speaker 3: And Baker Mayfield is one of those guys, these kind of guys, and I think he's he's dialed it way down since he had his struggles in Cleveland. But Baker Mayfield, especially in college, he was the dude that if he's on your team, you love him, and then if not, then you hate him. Like that. That's he was in college.
Speaker 2: And some guys are like that and they're just solid, like Draymond Green is not an elite player, but like Baker was the guy who's really really good and you hate him if he's not your guy, and if he is your guy, you know he's he's the best thing ever. All right, all right, one more question for you when it comes to the Bengals zero and two, they've been there before. I mean, they clearly could have and probably should have beaten the Chiefs. Is it fair to say that was a nice bounce back? Again? They lost and you got to win in the NFL, but they did go toe to toe with the Chiefs in Kansas City. You feel any better about your Bengals after last week? Or you feel worse encouraged?
Speaker 3: You know, Look, I feel I you know, because I actually got to watch them, So I feel encouraged. And there's a couple. There's two things here. I you know, I saw a lot of folks magic, Maholmes magic. Look, it was fourth and sixteen, and they called it past interference. By the way, I'm it was a good call. He got there early time with that. But like if if he doesn't, if if there's not past interference there, Cincinnati wins the gamee.
Speaker 2: And isn't that like I mean that is that would make it even worse for me if I was a Bengals fan, because like, you quite literally did something that you should that you didn't even need to do, and yet that's why you end up with a loss, because that win would have been huge. I mean we're talking about the Chiefs here.
Speaker 3: Well, I liked how they played. I liked you know, I liked the way Joe Burrow looked. I didn't like the you know, the fumble that left to the the scoop and score. But oh, we're all like. I thought they played well, especially you know against Mahomes and that and that offense. I thought they're you know, defense, you know, overall played well. It's a you know, the one thing I know about this, it's a long season and you just want to be trending in the right direction now now, you know, coming up, they need to start like there's no moral victories. You've got to start winning football games. But you know, you're getting hopefully they're getting closer to getting T Higgins back, and then when he's back, then it loosens things up for Jamar Chase and that that helps everybody out, no doubt.
Speaker 2: Can't you are the man. I appreciate you making time for us. Enjoy the rest of your week and weekend and we'll talk soon.
Speaker 3: Brother, Hey, Bubby, appreciate it.
Speaker 2: All right. That's Kent Spencer w h A S eleven. Good stuff there, all right, Uh, let's take a quick break. We'll come back on the other side. I want to carry over that Joe Burrow, well not Joe Burrow, but the Chiefs Bengals game. I don't think there was really any controversy that was clearly pass interference. They called it, and it led to a lot of people just claiming that Mahome gets all the bailouts, and the refs love him, the NFL wants him to do well because he's the face of the league, and you know, I get all that. But what I said, and we talked about it earlier in the week, the Chiefs probably don't get many more calls than anybody else. They're just good enough to really make you pay. They'll bury you if you make a mistake, if you let them, and that's what they did against the Bengals. But there's actually somebody who did a deep dive on which like which quarterback gets the benefit of the doubt more than anybody else when it comes to the officials just making a judgment call where they can't really review it right, the results I think will surprise you. Stick around. It's coffee and company. Feel abou Thorn's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety I know this song. I don't think I know the band.
Speaker 4: The artist is Katie Tunstall, the songs called Suddenly I see.
Speaker 2: I would have guessed that this would be a one hit wonder because I don't know that name at all, but i'd know this song. But her being at Bourbon and Beyond would make me think that she's got more in the catalog than just this.
Speaker 4: My sister in law's really into this person.
Speaker 2: I don't know I've ever heard that name. This was a huge song though, By the way, I know that when she played, you know.
Speaker 4: She I don't know the time, but she's today. She might be playing right now for all we know.
Speaker 2: Well, hope she's enjoying herself here in the fine city of Louisville, Kentucky. Bourbon and Beyond. I mean, did it kill? Somebody asked me this on the text line. I don't have the answer, and I'm sure you don't either. It's just an opinion. Did this kill the Forecastle Festival?
Speaker 4: It wouldn't surprise me because they both bring similar vibes in terms of the music style.
Speaker 2: Was Forecastle Waterfront? Yes? I thought, so you ever? Did you ever go to that?
Speaker 4: I never did? Yeah, I know who the organizers were, but they weren't. It wasn't Danny Wimmer.
Speaker 2: It was not.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that makes sense considering that Bourbon and Beyond. I mean it's it's really to me, it seems like a just just from the lineup and the vibes around the event that is Bourbon and Beyond, it kind of seems like a like a Forecastle on steroids. It's kind of the way I see it. So it is coffee Company and we are feel about Thorton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Make sure you sign up to become a member of the Refreshing Awards program if you have not already. You'll save money at the gas pump. You could take advantage of the perks that you get, including the Frequency Club. If you purchase a certain item a certain amount of times boom, you put in your code or you put in your phone number, you scan your your membership card at Thornton's, you might find out you get one free, hence the name Frequency Club. All right, So I don't know meanause supplements that good. We don't need menopause medication ads playing on this show. Apologies there, but if you do have menopause. You know there's ways to treat it. Clearly, now I'm distracted. So the most bitched about call in the NFL so far this season has to be the pass interference call against the Bengals in the Chiefs game on Sunday, and the Bengals bailed out the Chiefs, not the refs. There's no way around that, and it might end up being the most bitched about call in the NFL after four weeks of action. We'll have to wait and see. But it was the right call. It was. I mean, I don't know, if you watched it, I don't know how you can debate that that was not past interference.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 2: So it's led to a lot of people running with the narrative that the NFL is conspiring to make sure that the Chiefs win and have success and continue to be in the limelight because they've got the face of the league as their quarterback. Their tight end happens to be dating the most famous human being on the planet, and the numbers, the metrics, the data tells you that she is bringing value to the NFL. I mean, I don't know how you can, like to a tee, chalk it up to t Swift doing it. But like clearly there are people who are now watching the Chiefs only because Taylor Swift's boyfriend is the tight end. That sounds insane, but there are insane people that worship this woman. It's the truth.
Speaker 4: I give my wife because she stayed to her her decision to be a Bill's fan, even after Taylor Swift decided. You know, she was a Chiefs fan because of Travis Kelcey.
Speaker 2: And from what I gather, you know your wife likes Taylor Swift's music. She does, She's not, She's not, it's she's not made it her whole life correct to be a Taylor Swift fan, which a lot of the Swifties do that. It's it's odd behavior, but you know what happened. So I want to give Bill Barnwell some credit here, and I'm sure Bill Barnwell will will die a happy man knowing that me sports radio host in a borderline top fifty market in Louisvell is giving him credit. But take it for what it's worth. May not be worth anything to you, Bill, but I'm gonna give you credit. He did a deep dive that really tells you if Patrick Mahomes gets the benefit of that out more than other quarterbacks or not. And he works for ESPN, and here's what he had to say. I'm gonna read this thread. So, so I've been thinking a lot about that viral Patrick Mahomes interception overturned by penalty statistic from the weekend. If it felt like bad faith use of data, I went and took a closer look to see if that was true. So he goes on to say, to start, this stat has no denominator. The player we would expect to lead the league in interceptions overturned by penalty since the start of twenty eighteen is the guy who has thrown the most passes of any kind over that timeframe. Patrick Mahomes with three thousand, six hundred and eight passing attempts. Jared Goff three thy, five hundred and eight passing attempts is the only quarterback within three hundred attempts. So because he's thrown more than anyone, Mahomes leads since twenty eighteen in a lot of things like passes completed for exactly thirteen yards or yards on slants, which is two hundred and fifteen. So it's no surprise that he does lead the league in overturned interceptions where he threw a pick and then he got it back because they called PI. So again that what he's doing here, Bill Barnwell is letting you know, Yeah, that stat's real, but it's also a little misleading because this guy has actually there's way more opportunity for this to happen just given how long he's been out there as a starting quarterback. So back to the thread. After that play in the Bengals game, this stat was used to further the idea that Mahomes is being bailed out for bad passes by referees. The problem is that there's a penalty which wipes off a lot of interceptions that has nothing to do with referee judgment calls off sides. Eight of those seventeen interceptions were plays where a defender went off sides and Mahomes threw a ball up on a free play. Those obviously aren't bailout calls. Great point, right, he sees somebody jump off sides, he's going to be a little more risky with that arm because he knows he's going to get the ball back. So another example of how that's misleading. So there's only eight overturned interceptions we can ascribe to plays that involve referee judgment calls, defensive pass interference, roughing the passer, illegal contact, et cetera. Including the interceptions. That's about one for every four hundred and fifty two passes Mahomes has thrown since twenty eighteen. Is he in fact bailed out by either a blatant call or bailed out by a judgment call where the officials decide to award him. So back to the thread, it's one of the higher rates I can find. But there's one quarterback who has a higher rate of interceptions overturned by plays that involved a referees discretion since twenty eighteen, and it isn't going to help Bengals fans who are worried about a conspiracy theory against them. Joe Burrow has had eight interceptions overturned by penalty since joining the league, two off sides for DPI in illegal use of the hands in a defensive holding. That six judgment calls across oney nine hundred and sixty six pass attempts, or one every thirty two point or three hundred, yeah, three hundred and twenty seven point seven attempts in other words, again, this is Bill Barnwell. In other words, Mahomes wasn't even the quarterback who had the who had been bailed out by judgment calls from referees most often in the game he was playing on Sunday, let alone league wide. I mean, I know some people just hear analytics and stats and numbers and just say, oh, your adore doesn't matter, Poindexter. You're crunching numbers to to, you know, to make a point. Well whatever, that's facts. What he laid out is facts. And I don't do this to defend Mahomes. I want to hate Mahomes, and I kind of do when I watch him play, But like, it's not personal, and it really isn't personal for any athlete because I don't know any of these guys, but obviously how they carry themselves, who they play for, if they play for a rival like that impacts how you how you feel about it. I mean, again, we don't know any of these acts. Even the guys on our team that we say we love, we don't know them. You know, a lot of people don't want to accept or realize that, but it's just the truth. So with Mahomes and the Chiefs. It's just clear they are on top. Even before Taylor Swift, they became the team that everybody was all right, you guys had your run. Enough's enough, we get it. Mahomes is the golden boy. Quit shove it in our face. So they're in the midst of a dynasty. People will to see dynasty's fall. That's how. That's human nature for a lot of people, myself included. I think the Taylor Swift element in that leading to them being in our face more than ever, has made it to where any little judgment call from a ref that is in fact questionable is going to make it seem as if all here we go, they're going to help them out. Chiefs get another break, Which again, what made that so stupid on Sunday is that it wasn't really I mean, yeah, it's a judgment call, but anybody using judgment that did not call pass interference there doesn't need to be in the position to make that judgment call.
Speaker 3: It was blatant.
Speaker 2: So there's a lot of teams out there over the years in different sports that are viewed to be lucky. Oh look they're getting bailed out by revs or just you know, some kind of luck, and maybe they have some luck go their way every now and then. But I think what makes people assume that everybody's lucky is that if they you get a break go their way, they're gonna take advantage of it, and they're gonna make you pay for it. I don't do all this to defend the Chiefs and to defend Mahomes, but I mean facts are facts, all right. Five h two six five three zero seven nineties the LNN Federal Credit Union tex Line. If you guys want to text in this text, said Nick. Despite everybody giving Kentucky a lot of credit for losing to Georgia, and nobody seems to bring up the fact that Georgia actually lost the number one spot in the poll after winning, doesn't that say a lot about Kentucky? Yeah, I mean, I guess that's a I guess that's a good point. I mean, I didn't expect Georgia to fall from number one because they did win on the road in the SEC. But yeah, Texas, Texas got passed him. And I don't have the actual stat or fact in front of me but them, And again, it's probably one of those things you got to really do a lot of gymnastics to to get this kind of of a fact. But teams who were number one that went on the road like road in the SEC have I don't think anybody's ever dropped out because again, I don't care who you lose, who you play. If you're number one and you don't retain number one after winning, that's rare, especially when you're playing a conference team. So yeah, i'd say to to give to give Texas some credit. I think they've they've mean, what they went and did up in ann Arbor was really impressive. I mean, even though I think Michigan has taken a step back, that was a that was a damn good win for them. Speaking of Texas, arch Manning getting the start for the injured Quinnouers on Saturday against Louisiana and Roe. And I'm not touching this game from a wagering standpoint, but I will say I'm kind of all in on on Louisiana and Row. Did you happen to uh to hear what their defensive coordinators said about Quinne about arch Manning, I didn't, but I'd love to hear it. So apparently there's a lot because he's from Louisiana. Uh arch Manning as he played his high school ball in Louisiana, and their defensive coordinator, Louis M. N Rose, was talking about the I guess the connection there, and he had no problem in letting people know that his guys aren't scared. Yeah, I think they're forty four and a half point underdogs here, which is which is crazy. Yeah, they're forty four and a half point underdogs, and their defensive coordinator is letting it be known that they've already got some guys on their team that's done beat them before. And that was the words he used, They don't beat him once. So carry in Louisiana. It's right carrying some confidence into this matchup despite being underdogs by forty four and a half points. Hey, I mean, any anything you can do to hype up your team, maybe speaking confidently like that, we'll give the confidence in his team to not get completely, you know, annihilated. All right, let's tal about Jefferson Animal Hospital. You guys know, I'm pretty passionate about all the work that they do. They help not only you and your pets, but they help save pets lives, and they're going to be able to educate you on that process, how it all works, and how important it is with this big event they've got coming up a month from today. So Pints for Paws and people will be a month from today at the Jefferson Animal Hospital over there on outer Loop, and I encourage you guys to go out. I mean not only for a great event, but you're going to be educated on the process as far as pet blood donations. They'll let you see the process. I'm sure a lot of people will want to see if they're a little uneasy about. Especially for cats, they do have to be sedated to give blood, but they'll let you see that process. That way you can feel a little bit a little bit more at ease. But your dog or your pet can donate blood just like us. If your dog's over fifty pounds or your cat's at least ten pounds, they may qualify to be at a pet blood donor. So on October nineteenth at the Jefferson Animal Hospital on outer Loop they're going to have their event from ten am to two pm and again live demonstrations on the pet blood donations. Are also going to have food that you can enjoy, so and if you want to donate blood yourself with the American Red Cross. You can do that too, So pints for pausing people October nineteenth, tended to All pets are welcome, All people are welcome, and you can get more info by calling five h two nine hundred pets are visiting pet bloodbank dot com. All right, quick break, we'll come back on the other side. Talk about Jeff Brahm's comments last night on his Coaches show regarding Colin Lacey. Sounds like they may have him for noted name next week, which is crazy to think about, but hey, that just gives you another weapon. All right, quick break, don't go anywhere. It's Coffee and Company. We are feel about thorns right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. I recognize the sound, the voice, but not the song. The artist is Chris Isaac and this song is Blue Hotel. It's not his biggest hit, but when I was trying to decide which song of his to play, his top hits were a little more, you know, sad. We didn't want to bring down the mood again for the second time.
Speaker 4: This show.
Speaker 2: Sounds dislike him, very Elvis like, Yeah, he's right around seventy years of age. Bourbon and Beyond is starting today, which is why John has has been playing some tracks from those that are participating in the in the big event that we've got going on this weekend. All Right, we'll talk a little more about sports wagering in the five o'clock hour because John and I are going to talk some picks on our end, and then we are going to be joined by Brian Edwards, Vegas insider, who will join us at five point thirty later today. But I'm telling you this right now, I may have just witnessed the most bold signal that Indiana football is not back. They've arrived. I don't know where they'd be back to, because you know, Signety's going to take them to heights they've never been before. But John said he was a little surprised that the Hoosiers were only favored by twenty eight and a half in this in this matchup. What if I told you that Indiana is favored by more than any other team in college football this weekend that is playing another FBS team.
Speaker 4: That's surprising, I thought, because I could have sworn Penn State was like forty something point favorites against Kent State.
Speaker 2: I thought that that's the only other one forty nine.
Speaker 4: Okay, which again I'll go and say that I'm taking Kent State and plus foury so that's insane.
Speaker 2: Like UTSA is big against Houston Christian Boise State is huge against Portland State. So I mean, you don't just want to win, you want to bury teams with signatty. I love it.
Speaker 4: And that's what they've done so far. They buried UCLA and again, UCLA might suck. We don't really know that.
Speaker 2: Be pretty red. Yeah, I mean, did you see what Buffalo Wild Wings has decided to do. No, they're gonna give away free wings in the in the LA area at Buffalo Wild Wings anytime UCLA wins a game.
Speaker 4: Oh wow, they're that confident that they're gonna suck.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they don't want to be doing that. Yeah yeah, Buffalo Wild Things offering free wings after each UCLA win this year. And there's not gonna be many opportunities because they've got LSU on the road Oregon, Penn State, Minnesota, Rutgers, Nebraska, Iowa, Washington, USC, Fresno State. They might not win a game, shade.
Speaker 4: There's no gimmeas on that schedule.
Speaker 2: I mean, you could make the case going into it, not now, but you could make the case going into it, Indiana looked like the only sure win for them after you know whoever they played in the first Yeah, so I mean, Rutgers is not an easy I mean, and again, like Ucla is really really bad. Didn't mean Indiana's win wasn't impressive. In fact, I think people watching Indiana and Ucla agree that line was because the lines moved a lot of did you know what it opened at? No, it was it was minus twenty three. Now it's minus twenty eight, a lot of points. So you know, Hoosias got a rolling baby, It's gonna be fun. I never really gave any thought to us doing a show together with both of us, like having good football teams, and I I mean, I hate to be mean, it wasn't because of Louisville's because I just didn't know. I like, Indiana being six and six regularly is not normal. I think Indiana under signety, he's got a chance to be better than that. Regularly. Maybe they have a you know, a year where they're down a little bit, but like he's a winner, dude, that guy wins, and it's been infectious, not only with the way his teams play. They carry themselves not like they know they're Indiana football. They carry themselves as if, Hey, we're here to compete and win. We're here to let everybody know. This is in your daddy's Indiana football. This Saint Pat Paul is Indiana football. This is signatty baby, and we're gonna win. Fired up, I'm fired up. Take down Biff Pogy. Yeah, cut off his sleeveless sweatshirts. I call it a wife beater the other day. It's not quite what it is, well, it's it's it's the thicker version of a wife beater. Yeah, it's a it's a stained, probably stinky sweatshirt. Does it have a hood on it? I think it's got a hood on it. It's a cut off hood. It's what he wears. I don't know if he's gonna wear it in Bloomington on Saturday, but he'll probably be leaving there with a big fat l I hope. So all right, So no time left here to get into it, but I will again. I'm sure a lot of people have already heard this, and I'm not gonna act like I'm delaying big information. But we can get into sort of the over the overall idea of Colin Lacy returning a lot quicker than most expected. I have no problem saying it now. I was told that they didn't they didn't know if they'd see him at all this year, and that the broke the break, the broke, the break of his collar bone.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 2: It was a tough break. Not that any of them are are good, but like it was a pretty extensive surgery that likely meant he was going to be out. But he's back to practicing or back in practice. I think that could mean a lot of things, right. So we'll talk about it a little bit more as we get set for Louisville's first test against Georgia Tech that's coming up in just a couple of days. We've got some football to get into tonight and a lot more. We'll get back into the NIL efforts for Kentucky basketball, only because I think what they're doing with NIL, I mean, I don't want to say I'm envious, but there's been a couple of things Kentucky's done on the NIL side that I think louisvill should do and other schools should do. So we're loaded the rest of the way. Keep it locked right here, one more hour left. It's coffee and company. Feel about Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety