Speaker 1: All right, folks, welcome out to you a Friday show on the road.
Speaker 2: We were supposed to be here last week.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry we punted because we were all sick with the flu, pneumonia.
Speaker 2: Lunger over here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, doc, Holiday still sounds like pretty good.
Speaker 2: Are you taking your medicine, dude?
Speaker 3: No, great medicine is for SAPs, okay, guys, for suckers.
Speaker 1: I got you so Southern Comfort hot tub on Preston Highway. They got sales, all these huge red tags car on everything, and I say, that can't be the price of that.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 3: We're talking hot tubs up to fifty percent off, folks.
Speaker 4: It's the tax time. So think you can't afford a hot tub. I want you think again.
Speaker 3: Hot tubs as low as sixty five dollars a month.
Speaker 4: Susan and I we were in our.
Speaker 3: Hot tub last night before I saw Before we got a couple of tequilas and went down and watched USA Canada.
Speaker 4: All right, I'm a little tired this morning.
Speaker 1: All right, we'll get to the Canada USA Canada first. I want to start with it. American story Yeah, America story time.
Speaker 4: Are you ready?
Speaker 1: I'm ready sitting around the fire. Huh, and this is a why America is great?
Speaker 3: Well, you're not going to do the thing that you did last time and pull out a hand with a hook on it and freak me out, are you no?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: Sure wasn't it?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: You went and some say he's still here and he showed me that hook. Yeah, and I peed my pants. You tinkled a little bit. Oh, he was embarrassing.
Speaker 1: Okay. So I used to work out at the l a C.
Speaker 2: Little Athletic Club and we used to.
Speaker 1: Do shows out there, Dave, You and I you do did shows up all the time. Remember the muscle Monkey grill.
Speaker 3: Yes, where you got to Yeah, I used to show Dave. I used to show up see the muscle Monkeys where you get this protein shake?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it has some banana fudge peanut butter.
Speaker 3: It was like the greatest tasty protein shake ever. I would just show up and buy one of those. I didn't have a membership. I would just sit there and I know.
Speaker 2: I know you didn't.
Speaker 1: So when I first started working out there, there was a lady that worked out there that she I'm gonna end with the story, is he's gonna be She's self that sounds good. I have a lot of money. Yeah, he sounds terrible. I'm about to send him home. He's like, yes, please.
Speaker 2: She used to work out at LAC and she didn't have a lot of money.
Speaker 1: And the guy that that used to run the Muscle Monkey, Steve Mazzoni, he used to give her protein chase because she was still sort of struggling with this YouTube fitness video stuff. So she takes off those videos take off, and she starts to make a little money. So then she she invested in her own weights, like you could buy her brand of weights, and that took off, right, She made money with that. So this girl is very pretty and very smart. I'm gonna show you a picture here and you're gonna go what.
Speaker 4: That lady's name was Jillian Michaels.
Speaker 1: So she gets married, she's got a couple of kids now, and they invested in two thousand and eighteen, they started she thought that there was a need for a women's.
Speaker 2: Brand energy drink.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, yes, So her and her husband in bark on that journey. In twenty eighteen, we'll flash forward to yesterday. They sold said company, oh oh, to Celsius Drinks. Give it one point eight billion, one point eight billion.
Speaker 2: Katie Hearns Schneider.
Speaker 1: Her name was Katie Hearns when she was at LAC and now she was a girl working out at La C.
Speaker 4: She can carry a bunch of keys on the side of her what Schneider.
Speaker 1: No, I believe that's the name of her, her husband. But to hern, her husband created this brand and sold it yesterday for one point eight billion dollars with a B with a b uh so America, America.
Speaker 2: It's America. This is only in America.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm sorry, let me show you the picture. You're gonna go, uh what Yeah, that's her.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: And she's rich and she has one point eight billion believe them. Yeah. So uh the story of you can do it.
Speaker 1: Yes you can, and if you and women in business, of course you can one point eight billion dollars.
Speaker 2: Congratulations to you.
Speaker 1: And from starting from just a couple of good ideas and it kept folding and believing in yourself to be able. And that's the key to take that money. Don't stop here, let's fold it into another idea here. Now, I don't know that that's a great question.
Speaker 4: Hey, if you live here, I got some ideas. I want to pitch you that you might well don't.
Speaker 2: I'm sure her phone is blowing up today.
Speaker 1: But Alani, do you know the drink brand Alani something that's the It's one of my.
Speaker 4: Favorite drinks for girls. I don't see gender.
Speaker 2: Oh no, you're right, thank.
Speaker 3: You, Dave.
Speaker 4: Hey, welcome back, by the way, we missed you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, uh okay, So let's talk about the hackey.
Speaker 2: Yes, I haven't.
Speaker 1: Watched a full hockey match, and I know I can't, I tell you, but I watched every minute game.
Speaker 2: Is it a game? It's a game. Okay, I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: Oh god, you're.
Speaker 2: One of those. You're one, Thank you, soccer guy. But it's hockey. Hey, let's let's listen. Let's listen to young younger. You're alive, Yeah, man, it's is.
Speaker 3: That's when you know you're towards the end, when it gets good and loose like that.
Speaker 2: You hear that you can what.
Speaker 4: I may be doc holiday.
Speaker 1: Uh so you are because you have the sunglasses still on. No no, no, no, no no, please put them back, please.
Speaker 2: Put them back off.
Speaker 3: Yes, man, you look dead. Look how red these are? Look at my eyes and.
Speaker 1: You can tell in their voice that little milky sludge in the back of your throat.
Speaker 4: I smoked a lot less. Look at my eyes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you look terrible. I'm not for forming CPR on you. You understand.
Speaker 4: Well, that's fine, so you're are you kidding me?
Speaker 1: I've been going bye bye, just going to the light.
Speaker 4: I've been praying for the release of death.
Speaker 3: Sometimes, like sometimes in the middle of the night, Susan will get up and you'll turn the bathroom light onto the bathroom like, oh yeah, finally, I'm like, oh no, no, it's not the bright light.
Speaker 2: It's no goat.
Speaker 1: Please if you're going, I'm not doing CPR. And now I will encourage you.
Speaker 4: Go to the light.
Speaker 1: Go to the light, because I don't need you haunting Southern Comfort Hotel.
Speaker 2: Can you sit the rest of your life?
Speaker 4: Can you sit it on my uh autopsy?
Speaker 3: Because the only thing that I'm scared of is the corner making fun of my wiener.
Speaker 2: Yeah, could you do that?
Speaker 4: Man? Like, even if I'm dead, it's going to be embarrassing.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I think you're okay though, no, I think you'll survive it.
Speaker 5: Imagine the female med students in the room too.
Speaker 2: I mean, geez, oh.
Speaker 4: Come on, Dave, now I'm even why would you do that? Dude?
Speaker 1: Okay, So that the opening bit on the four letter networks. Sometimes they get it right. So they added the intense music, and they added, of course the speech from Miracle.
Speaker 4: Oh did they? Because I joined, they send it.
Speaker 2: To you where he ends it with now go out and ticket. You didn't see that part.
Speaker 4: You didn't send it.
Speaker 1: So the whole opening video is frames of the fights in the last game and bits of him doing his speech.
Speaker 4: Did they do the whole two minute Kurt Russell? Did they do?
Speaker 2: Tonight? You're the greatest hockey team to ever play.
Speaker 3: If we play him ten times, might lose nine nine times, they might beat us, but not tonight tonight.
Speaker 1: And they ended so the freebird music, free Bird, and then he goes, now go.
Speaker 2: Out and ticket.
Speaker 1: I was I was yelling and streaming.
Speaker 4: I didn't know.
Speaker 3: I didn't see the beginning because we were we were in the hot chills right now, so we didn't get to join the game because we were in the hot tub. We thought, well, we'll just join light, so we joined with nine minutes in the first.
Speaker 2: Left Oh okay, uh, there there was.
Speaker 4: It was already one.
Speaker 2: The entire game was the same way.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's just back and forth, incredible defensive place.
Speaker 4: Because I started doing that Herb Brooks story.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, I was getting on. I guarantee it.
Speaker 4: Great moments are born from great upper.
Speaker 2: Even Lenny, and even Lenny is like, oh please.
Speaker 3: That's what you have here, that's what you've earned, your boys.
Speaker 1: The other one that irritates both Jackie and Susan is Hooper drives, oh ye, over and over again. Hooper drives, Please stop. But Dave, did you get a chance for I know you're not feeling well. Did you get a chance to watch any of that hockey?
Speaker 5: We didn't watch any of it. I'm sorry that I read about it later it's like, oh, we should have watched that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's pretty cool. It was just it was old school.
Speaker 2: It felt like the nineteen eighties.
Speaker 5: There there are a few things in sports that are more exciting than a hockey overtime because there are so many scoring opportunities, and then if you get a power play mixed in there. I mean, it's just it's do or die and it is amazing. One of the best things in sports hockey overtime.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's no doubt, all right, So it is a Friday and it's very cold.
Speaker 2: I get it.
Speaker 1: Well, come on out here and let's dream about sitting in that hot tub. How cold was it last night?
Speaker 2: Not? Didn't bother dwhye?
Speaker 3: No, listen because people say that all the time when it gets to be like eight and twelve, do you really get it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, we really get into it because it's actually better.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we love our sea covered hot tub anytime of the year. You will too. Come on buy seventy five oh one Preston Highway. They even have code plunge tubs that turn into a hot tub. You wouldn't believe some of the stuff they have here. They have saun Us and it's the tax time sale where you can get things up to fifty percent off out here, including.
Speaker 4: Hot tubs at sixty five bucks. Check out these massage chairs.
Speaker 2: I said about twenty minutes.
Speaker 4: I have never sat in one of these.
Speaker 3: And here's why why Austin from WAMZ comes out here with us, cub.
Speaker 4: He loves the store.
Speaker 3: Once he gets in that damn thing, he doesn't lead. We don't see him for it doesn't lead. Yeah, we don't see him for an hour, So I'm scared to death. To Cinamon One.
Speaker 1: I said it for about twenty minutes, and I was like, don't about to fall asleep, all right? So there are a lot of these again, the Friday shows, we try to figure out what our responsibility is for entertainment, slash news and Friday. We like to be a little bit lighthearted. Yes, we don't do a lot of show prep. We don't try hard.
Speaker 4: Ah, sure we do.
Speaker 2: I mean we do a.
Speaker 1: Lot of show prep. We try hard.
Speaker 4: They're still monitoring our show.
Speaker 2: But there's so many sad stories.
Speaker 1: The three teens that got killed across from Butler High School this week. Teenagers eighteen, eighteen and nineteen shot to death. It's awful. These babies in Israel, awful. I just don't know what we have to talk about this stuff at some point, But on a Friday at the hotel place.
Speaker 4: I got it. Okay, I gotta do one story about terrorism. Okay, okay, two buses?
Speaker 2: Hang on? Hang on? Are you starting this as a joke?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: Okay, because you started out with did you hear about the two buses? It's a little comical.
Speaker 4: Oh boy, So over in.
Speaker 3: Israel, the buses that were set to explode, Yes, they switched PM and AM. No, it was supposed to be at the most packed point, yes, for you know, mass casual, and they missed it up. The terrorists set for UH instead of AM and PM.
Speaker 2: Wow, I know had to be dudes. Oh sure, because a woman would have got it right? What exactly? Okay?
Speaker 1: But so but Friday, we're gonna keep it light today, we're gonna have some fun.
Speaker 2: We've got crusade for children, trivia.
Speaker 3: We're gonna keep it light. But I got one sad story. Oh no, if you go to my Facebook page.
Speaker 2: Oh what what? What? What?
Speaker 4: There's a dog. He's ten years old. He's got the white gray face.
Speaker 2: That cute.
Speaker 3: He's as cute as can be. He's as general, he's house trained.
Speaker 4: But here's what happened. He lost his owner because his owner passed away.
Speaker 2: I see him now.
Speaker 3: So now that dog in a sweet So this dog who just lost his owner is now grieving. He's a he's in a shelter Louis Metro Animal Services. He's stressed out because number one, he's grieving the loss of his owner. But number two, he's not used to the situation. All the dog's barking. He doesn't know where he's at if if you have recently lost a pet and you don't want to adopt, this would be a great opportunity for you to heal your heart just by fostering.
Speaker 2: Fostering which means temporarily.
Speaker 3: Temporarily yes, But I gotta tell you this dog, he's the sweetest guy.
Speaker 4: He would go to my Facebook page and check him out. This way.
Speaker 2: I want to go rescue him right now.
Speaker 4: Lemme hates other animals, or I'd have.
Speaker 2: Him in a New York minute. Oh what is sweetie?
Speaker 3: I know, so go to my Facebook page. He's available at Louisville Metro Animal Services.
Speaker 1: That's the stuff we don't really think about sometimes when we talk about animal services is when people pass away. What happens to the right, especially if there's no niece or a nephew or a daughter or something. They can take the dog or cat or cats. It's just it's some stuff we don't talk about it.
Speaker 3: And to put that in human terms, imagine going your whole life and you get to your retirement years and then you have your home that you're used to just yanked away.
Speaker 4: From me, and you're putting some kind of facility.
Speaker 1: Well, we do that with you every once in a while we put you in strange places and you're just confused and you're scared, and you don't know what you're you know, where you're supposed to be and what you're doing.
Speaker 4: I'm always confused, that's true.
Speaker 1: Extra, You'm so glad you're wearing sunglasses and we're a half hour into the show.
Speaker 2: Do you have a joke of the day.
Speaker 1: Austin am he gave me a great view setting up for the show.
Speaker 3: Today's crack. Yeah, yeah, he's good at that. Hey, Austin, how you doing, buddy?
Speaker 2: Heez over and you.
Speaker 6: Got coming power the power of Daniel right?
Speaker 4: Oh god?
Speaker 6: Not only ninety seven five w A m Z. But I'm on with Nick Coffee every more every day at seven nine hit the podcast. Yes, oh Babyfaces podcast. I heart radio. Who Tony's been on it. We're gonna get Dwight on it. We want to talk about those doss years smoking cigarettes, when you could be winning championships, leaving to go leaving to go.
Speaker 2: To concerts instead of sticking around.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all you had to do was show up. You know the story? Yeah, yeah, I love it.
Speaker 2: Show up, show up every coaches night mare.
Speaker 6: Hey, you're a champion right there. You see that my body my springs.
Speaker 3: Instead, give me the damn joke, all right, Hey man, hey, hey, hey hey, I gotta do me a joke that I can tell you, sisterly Hey.
Speaker 6: Fellas got put on the spot because Dwight asked me to do the joke of the day. So I looked one up earlier and I found it. So a penguin is having some car trouble, right.
Speaker 1: Odd pe, So.
Speaker 6: It takes it to the garage. Mechanics says he'll be done in about an hour. He'll find out what's wrong with it. So the penguin sees an ice cream shop across the street and sides the head over and get himself a snack while he's waiting.
Speaker 4: That's a great way to kill the top. Yeah.
Speaker 6: So, but you know, he's got flippers and so it's kind of a mess.
Speaker 4: So he's eating ice cream, gets it all over.
Speaker 6: It's all over his feet, all over his flippers, his wings. It's awkward for the poor guy. He goes back to the mechanic to find out what's wrong with the car. Mechanic goes, looks like you blew a seal. The penguin goes hot. No, it's just a little ice cream.
Speaker 5: Okay, you're in the next meeting Austin a right.
Speaker 1: Well, I guess views of Austin Montgomery don't necessarily reflect the pineage of views of iHeartMedia or the Tony and Dwight Show.
Speaker 4: I guess we do have a hey. Speaking of which, try Stateman's Hell. Guys, how's your wien or how has it been like down lately? I'm talking about it's a medical terms. What are you looking at me for?
Speaker 2: Man, it's not a medical it's a medical term.
Speaker 4: Oh up, guys.
Speaker 3: If you suffer from ED, suffer no more talking about tri Statemen's Health. Go to try statemenshealth dot com. They're the best. Here's why. They have a ninety Did you hear this? Ninety percent success rate when it comes to treating erectalitis function? And by the way, it's risk free. Hear me out on this. It's ninety nine dollars, but man, it's worth it. You get a lab work done and then within thirty minutes or least, you'll sit down right across with a licensed medical professional. They'll explain all your numbers, your PSA, your testosterone, the works. Here's the risk free part. Then they're gonna give you a testose. If the test dose doesn't work, your money's refunded immediately. But chances are it will work because they have a ninety percent success rate when it comes to treating ED. I don't care where you are on the spectrum. Maybe you're just starting to show the signs of a d ED or you're full lout affected. Get a correct with the best is try State Men's Health. Go to tri Statemen's Health dot com. Stick around more on the way, including news at the bottom of the hour, news Radio eight forty whas.
Speaker 4: Oh Billy Squire I like it.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to Southern Comfort Hot Tubs. The sale is on right here on Preston Highway. We've got some folks coming and hanging out with us. I don't think anyone's getting arrested yet yet, but we're gonna work on it's southside.
Speaker 4: Chuck Weaver in the house.
Speaker 2: Yeah, come on.
Speaker 1: All the hot tubs are for sale, and I can't believe some of the prices on some of these things. And they are the best. You love yours was in.
Speaker 4: The last night. You're gonna love your Southern and Comfort hot ub. Hot tubs as low as sixty five bucks a month.
Speaker 2: That's crazy.
Speaker 3: Get down here and have a vacation in your own backyard. As I bring in my friend Sarah Durant used to be with the Bluegrass Institute.
Speaker 4: They did so many great things.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, they did, and just exposed a lot of stuff.
Speaker 4: But now you've moved on on? Who are you? Who are you with?
Speaker 2: Now? Sarah? Somebody? There you go?
Speaker 4: I got an engineer more worried about stick and kick me.
Speaker 2: Okay, sign Sarah, how are you? Oh my god, my god?
Speaker 1: On seriously, there's nothing all right, hang on, hang on, babies, there you go.
Speaker 2: Now go get it together right, Thank you, Daniel.
Speaker 4: Thanks Daniel, you get one job. Man. I want to impress Sarah. Now it's down.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's get this on. Sarah. What do you do so?
Speaker 7: I work for a nonprofit, Kentucky Free the Kentucky Forum for Rights, Economics and Education. We are a center right nonprofit that focuses on advancing public policy solutions that are fiscally responsible, free market public policies.
Speaker 2: I like it now.
Speaker 3: Briefly we discussed this, but you said, you all have an idea that could save up like a billion dollars close to a billion dollars.
Speaker 8: To Kentucky's economy.
Speaker 2: Right, yes, you could add too.
Speaker 8: Yes, well, so let me let me preface this. Set this up.
Speaker 7: So we are one of the few conservative organizations that works in criminal justice, and we come at it from We evaluate policy with three key questions. Is it constitutional? Does it enhance public safety? And is it a fiscal fiscally responsible use of tax payer dollars? And if it's those things, then we usually try to get behind it. So we have a great bill. And I'll tell you kind of why this is a great bill is because it takes non violent, non sexual folks who commit crimes, who are primary caregivers to children, and instead of locking them up and putting their kids in foster care, instead it says that the court shall consider It doesn't say the court has to give them an alternative sentence, but that the court shall I consider an alternative sentence if they are not a threat to public safety, if they're not a threat to their children, if they need you know, substance abuse treatment, mental health treatment, parenting classes, maybe even house arrest, that kind of thing. And so where this is really important to me, I was a kid who had social services called many, many times in my home until eventually I went to live with my with my dad. I was lucky and that I had two parents, so I had another parent who could be a primary caretaker. Had I not, I would have ended up in the foster care system. And so where this is really, you know, helpful, is kids who end up in foster care. It's a pipeline to our prison system. I mentioned earlier to you guys that I do a lot of volunteer work in this system. If you have one parent who's incarcerated, you're forty percent more likely to end up in prison yourself. If you have both parents locked up, it's extremely more likely. We have with my volunteer work on my foster care kids, we do what's called the ACE test Adverse Childhood Experiences Test, And what this is is it's a it's a list of questions and if you've had you know, say you saw your mother be abused, say you were physically abused, you were sexually abused, you.
Speaker 8: Get a point for all of these.
Speaker 7: One of them is if your parent is incarcerated, if you're in the foster care system, if you have an ACE score of six, as a child, you are forty six hundred percent more likely to use intravenous drugs as.
Speaker 4: An adult forty six.
Speaker 7: Someone who has as someone who has a zero A score.
Speaker 2: Okay, child, So this is twofold.
Speaker 1: So foster care system costs a certain amount of money to take care of these kids, and they end up being in a situations and.
Speaker 8: They end up on Medicaid, which is another cost.
Speaker 1: Another cost, it's a high dollar plus they end up in terrible situations. And then you have a non violent, non sexual offender that's living in prison on our dime, which is, by the way, if you dive into the numbers, it's insane how much it costs for medical care, incarceration, the entire deal, the entire deal. So this seems like common sense legislation.
Speaker 2: Where are we with this?
Speaker 1: And then after this, let's say this passes, who's the watchdog that kind of does this program?
Speaker 7: Sure, so we're at now. We released a report earlier this week that shows the savings, the direct incarceration cost savings to the state is seventy four million dollars a year. That's just the cost of housing incarcerated primary caregivers. Kids who don't have anybody else to care for them who are nonviolent again you know, lower level crimes being incarcerated. But when you look at the loss wages, the fact that you know, weekens at Kentucky's workforce and our economy, they're not paying into the tax base because they're incarcerated. Of course, the foster care costs, the fact that the children of these parents have educational struggles and tend to have you know, lower lifetime earning potential and also tend to be in the system in the future. You're looking at a savings to Kentucky's economy of seven hundred and forty four million dollars.
Speaker 2: Oh my what?
Speaker 7: And that's just that's not even for all the parents who are incarcerated.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: And again it's it's not a mandate that no, you can't to serve. It's an option for the court system to give when they think, well, you know what, it might fall in line with this particular case because children's involved.
Speaker 4: Maybe you're caring for parents that's involved. Where are we now?
Speaker 3: Has this made it through committee and Frankfurt or has it even made it to Frankfort yet?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 7: Okay, so we have two companion bills we have a bill sponsored in the Senate by Senator Julie Rocky Adams I know her.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And then there's a there's a whole will they won't they go.
Speaker 2: It's not true, it's not true.
Speaker 4: So true said.
Speaker 2: It's gone to committee.
Speaker 7: And then we have a companion bill in the House. It's sponsored by House Rep. Nick Wilson, who is out of Williamsburg, so southeastern Kentucky.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 7: He actually grew up with a mother who was incarcerated, so he's very passionate about this issue. It passed the House Committee thirteen to zero yesterday. Yes, going to the House floor, and then of course I don't have to pass the Senate committee and pass the Senate, but we have two really great sponsors who are you know, have really made this a priority for this session. I'm super excited that we were able to add, you know, the fiscal side of things, because oftentimes we talk a lot about and it's not that it doesn't matter. The people side of things matters very much to me, but as a conservative, I do view everything from a fiscal lens, and so having these numbers is extremely important, very rare that you can put something together that it's going to make a difference of seven hundred million dollars.
Speaker 3: Well's I mean, how many times you can't even do that money aside? It's it's affecting lives because you know damn well and good because you've worked with it, You've been part of the system, you worked in the system.
Speaker 4: You still do.
Speaker 3: Some of the statistics of these children that go through the foster system, it's staggering. They barely have a chance, like seventy percent.
Speaker 4: Of them of the women comes. Yeah, what were some of the stats.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 7: So, when I was chief of staff to First Lady Glenna Bevan, her cause was improving the foster care system and preventing child abuse. And one of the numbers that was presented to us at that time was kids who age out of foster care, kids who turn eighteen and don't don't get adopted and go out into the world, seventy percent of the girls will be pregnant and ninety percent of the males will be arrested by the age of male by the agent bizmal.
Speaker 8: What we're doing that is crazy these kids.
Speaker 7: And so we started the First Lady's Youth Voice Council, where we took kids who were close teenagers who are close to aging out, and just listened to them and their stories. And whenever we would ask what is the number one thing we could have done that the state could have done to change things for you, they said, you could help my parents. Wow, hands down every time.
Speaker 2: How many states have done this at.
Speaker 8: Least at least five states.
Speaker 1: And it's worked well, and so it doesn't get rid of judicial discretion.
Speaker 7: So the judge can look at this and say, Okay, here are the facts. This person holds down a job, this person is taking care of their kids. But this person has committed this crime and has these issues. Are they a good you know, candidate for this alternative sentence?
Speaker 1: Sounds like a no brainer. But what are the people that are against it? Or is anybody? Have you talked to anybody that is against it?
Speaker 2: What is there? What's their argument?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 8: I won't name names, but we did.
Speaker 2: Have a she.
Speaker 4: I'm like you here, I won't name names.
Speaker 2: I was like you want you.
Speaker 4: Piece of paper.
Speaker 7: Did have a circuit court judge who showed up to testify against it. And now we've we had an hour and a half call two days ago with the same circuit court judge made changes to the bill. We had a committee substitute that made proper change to the bill. The number one change, which I thought was a smart one that she really wanted, was that finding that a person is a primary caretaker in this instance doesn't affect anything else. It doesn't affect your if you have a custody case or something like that, you can't go. Well, this judge said, I'm a primary caretaker and therefore doesn't affect anything else. So we made that change.
Speaker 4: Actually smart.
Speaker 8: She's worried about paperwork, a lot more paperwork.
Speaker 1: Well wow, okay, well we've got you got to take everything. She's involved. At least she's interested in this and a little bit too.
Speaker 2: I mean, yes, she's not going to kill the bill. I mean she can't.
Speaker 7: Well, I mean I was waiting to see if anybody was gonna flip from our vote count and it was thirteen to zero. I mean, it really is a no brainer bill. And and I think, you know, as a conservative person, you know, we want to be I feel like I'm tough on crime, like if you are violent, correct, you know I have no tolerance for that. But we really have to start changing the way that we view these nonviolent offenders.
Speaker 3: Talk about let's talk about all those Let's talk about one of those cases, because this this is few and far between, but it's it's a case. Nonetheless, somebody was getting arrested for a joint.
Speaker 4: Yes, they swallowed the joint, so then they pick up a fly right after there.
Speaker 3: It was an obstruction of justice and tampering with physical evidence charge that landed them twenty years.
Speaker 8: Yes.
Speaker 7: So well, Kentucky has a persistent felony offender law. We're one of the only states that has that.
Speaker 8: So if you get caught.
Speaker 7: With felony possession of drugs twice, the next time, you're automatically going to be get the highest sentence possible. So this gentleman had been caught with drugs in the past, so he's smoking a joint on the side of the road, and this is I heard a lawyer. A lawyer told me this story at an event where we were trying to change some of the persistent felony offender laws for people who have substance abuse issues. So he had he had a client who was standing on the side of the corner smoking a joint. A police officer starts walking up, so he swallows the joint, which to me, seems like punishment en right, right, I mean, especially considering the state has now made medical marijuana legal.
Speaker 8: So because he knew that he would be he would.
Speaker 7: Get the maximum charge for being for felony. So they got him with tampering with evidence twenty years. Twenty years because this guy was smoking a joint. You and I are paying for his clothing, food, medical care, and housing. He's not paying taxes, He's not.
Speaker 2: You know, yeah, it's not contributing, contributing at all.
Speaker 7: That that really annoys me as a conservative person. I don't want to pay for that. I've got three kids. I've already got to pay for all of their all of their things. I really, if you're if you're if you're a grown man and you have the ability to work, we just have a lot of wasted human potential right sitting.
Speaker 2: In our prisons, and we take into.
Speaker 4: Account liming and you imagine, imagine that and.
Speaker 1: The dog guilty and not guilty. You own a Southern comfort hot tub?
Speaker 8: I do?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 4: How about that?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Well, I was saying, I'm kind of a groupie because we have a Southern Covert hotel and it is like having a vacation.
Speaker 2: Look he's selling it is.
Speaker 7: My kids when they were younger, they played in it like it was a spotting. And I've got pictures of them when it snowed, throwing.
Speaker 8: Snowballs at each other. They're in their swim suits and I've got great pictures.
Speaker 4: I'll have to it's perfect.
Speaker 2: But it doesn't stop there.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 8: Also, my husband, Yes, he had the hair surgery.
Speaker 7: Yes, yes, he during COVID because you know, we we thought we were all going to be stuck at home for two weeks. But he thought, well, I'm going bald. He was going bald in the way. We're like, you probably need a yamica.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was here.
Speaker 4: Looks like I had a piece of baloney.
Speaker 7: So he shaved his head and he realized he does not have the face for bald.
Speaker 3: Some that's that's one important things.
Speaker 7: And I said, well, you know, we we got a call. I called I name dropped you.
Speaker 8: I was hoping I would get it.
Speaker 1: Look at that, I.
Speaker 8: Was like, well, Dwight wouldn't, says, uh, you know, they you do great job.
Speaker 4: No no, no, no, no, they don't ever don't ever.
Speaker 1: But he's happy as as heck he is.
Speaker 8: He's got hair.
Speaker 3: He looks good, take your shoes off and run your toes through on the second because Susan likes to do that.
Speaker 1: Okay, when we got, we got, we got thirty seconds.
Speaker 4: Hey, you know what else?
Speaker 2: When is this going to the floe?
Speaker 8: I'm not I don't know when it's going to the floor.
Speaker 7: But I would just encourage folks that if you, if you care about saving money and you care about making sure that we get folks to help they need and keeping families intact, keeping kids out of our foster care system and out of our future prison system.
Speaker 8: To talk to your legislator about that.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for what you do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, goodness, good to see you, Sarah, And thanks for everything you're doing for so many. All right, Hey, Pella windows indoors, baby Pella, now pay later.
Speaker 4: How's those energy bills? Huh?
Speaker 3: Is it tough to keep the house warm right now? Could be those windows and the doors? What about in the summer? Tough to keep it cool? I want to talk about Pella windows and doors. You're gonna love them. Made not just right here in the good old USA, Oh, contray bonds. You are made right here in Kentucky. They employ your brothers, your sisters, your fan, family members, your friends. And that's the highest quality you're ever gonna see. Pellow windows and doors. They ranked number one for highest value, number one for Craftsman shift, number one for quality. Goes on and on and on. We're talking replacement windows, new construction, commercial projects. They got you covered. You're not gonna believe how beautiful these Pello windows and doors are.
Speaker 4: You gotta see it for yourself. Go the showroom twelve.
Speaker 3: Nine to ten Factory Laness, right over off Gene Schnyder and Lagrange Road.
Speaker 4: And here's the best part. You could have a beautiful.
Speaker 3: Exterior and interior with your brand new Pella windows and doors. But you can Pella now and pay later. Pello windows and doors. You're gonna love them. Stick around More on the Way as we broadcast live from Southern Comfort Hot Tubs seventy five oh one Preston Highway Hot Tubs as low as sixty five dollars a month. Stick around More on the Way News Radio eight forty whas