Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: App kf I and KOST HD two Los Angeles.
Speaker 3: Orange County and Daddy A good ball, your haste, Amy Kay.
Speaker 4: Good morning.
Speaker 1: It's five o'clock this Thursday, March twenty seventh.
Speaker 4: This is your wake up call.
Speaker 1: I'm Amy King. We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app and Big Day. It is Opening Day. Can't wait here Todd Light and his fabulous voice ringing throughout Dodgers Stadium. I'm so excited because we're going to the game this afternoon. My best friend arrived in town last night now to cheer on the boys in blue and of course.
Speaker 4: Wearing her Padres sweatshirt.
Speaker 1: But the San Diego has got their home opener today too, right, they're playing the Braves, Dodgers playing the Tigers. You know. Vegas says Dodgers are the odds on favorite to win the World Series again. We shall see, but I'll be cheering them on. So hope you're excited. We got We're gonna be talking actually to a super fan, how much of a fan. He's turned himself blue for the Dodgers. Yeah, that's coming up, coming up at five twenty. Here's what's a head on wake up call. The La City Council has decided to move forward with a package of motions to protect illegal immigrants in the city. Among the motions that will get further review of five hundred million dollar legal aid package that would provide legal services to illegal immigrants. President Trump has frozen that funding at the federal level. Protesters planned to be at Dodger Stadium. They want the team to end its long term relationship with Phillips sixty six, the oil company accused of dumping oil and grease from its refinery and carson into the La County sewer system. The orange and blue seventy six logos have been displayed prominently around Dodger Stadium for years and years. The protest starts at two, The game starts at four to ten. President Trump is downplaying the group chat between some of his cabinet members that the editor in chief of the Atlantic was inadvertently invited to join. The Atlantic published the text yesterday. Trump called the story another witch hunt and said again that he has full faith in his intelligence community. We're going to be digging a little deeper into that with ABC's crime and Terrorism expert Brad Garrett in just a couple of minutes.
Speaker 4: Also coming up on Wake Up Call, Amy's on It.
Speaker 1: We're doing it on Thursday today because we did out and about yesterday, so we've got, well, first, I've got a really bad show that I would say a hard pass.
Speaker 4: I want to share the information with you.
Speaker 1: And then a really good show about people who do really bad things and a really lovable bad guy that's coming up Amy's on It. And then at five point fifty, we're going to see how the kids are doing. We're going to check in check in with Sandy Steers with Friends of Big Bear Valley to get the latest on the eglits who are growing so fast in an s high above Big Bear Lake. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The La City Council has adopted additional measures to protect illegal immigrants in the city.
Speaker 2: The measures include a city wide information campaign to let immigrants know their rights and a request of city staff to find more than half a million dollars to support legal defense. Councilman Hugo Soto Martinez says the city is taking more than symbolic action.
Speaker 5: These motions are important because we have to use every single tool to fight back, because we cannot normalize these human rights issues.
Speaker 2: A separate motion, still making its way through city Hall would establish a sports center at Lax in case of any potential federal travel bands related to immigration. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: Police in Southgate have shot and killed a suspected armed Robert. Happened around twelve thirty yesterday next to an apartment building in the Walnut Park area. It's not clear what led to the shooting. Video from the scene shows the man dead inside a bullet riddled suv, at at least two guns and shellcasings on the ground. People who live in Sunland Tahunga say the area is being used as a potentially toxic waste dump.
Speaker 6: Residents are upset they weren't notified that sediment from the Eaton fire zone would be dumped in their area. Sunland Tonga Neighborhood Council president Lydia Grant tells kfi's John Cobalt they've done their own testing and found toxic levels of arsenic and selenium.
Speaker 7: The county did not notify the community. The county didn't get a haul route.
Speaker 4: The county didn't called school district.
Speaker 7: They didn't do anything. They violated all of their own policies.
Speaker 6: County officials say the material is kind not from burned properties, but from the sediment they wanted to control during recent reigns.
Speaker 4: Deborah Mark Ka a fine news.
Speaker 1: Betty White's about to be immortalized on a postage stamp. A ceremony is being held this morning in La to unveil the stamp on its first day of issue. The event is at the La Zoo and Botanical Gardens. Of course, she was an actress and a big animal lover. Betty White Day died in late twenty twenty one, just shy of her one hundredth birthday. One of my favorite actresses of all time. Okay, let's say good morning now to ABC's crime and terrorism analyst Brad Garrett.
Speaker 4: Morning, Brad, Morning Amy.
Speaker 1: Okay, So the signal scandal, that text communication between some higher ups in the Trump administration that a journalist got invited into still playing out in full force. White House is basically saying, Okay, it happened, let's move on, But what's everyone else saying.
Speaker 7: So you got to mix.
Speaker 8: Obviously the Democrats want to have an investigation. So you got three possibilities generally speaking, amy there one is an inspector general, which is the internal basically law enforcement of each agency that looks for internal issues, law violations, administrative violations. All the inspector generals are appointed by the president. I think he fired all of them, but maybe one that is the IG of Justice. Second possibility is a congressional investigation. Congress has made some noise about this. We'll see if that happens. And then the third element is the FBI, because if in fact the IG with the FBI believe that they've got potential criminal violations, then they could open a case, and then the US attorney in the district, a Trump appointee, would then decide whether they're going to get prosecuted or not.
Speaker 1: Okay, So there are a lot of I mean, part of the flap is that a lot of people are saying, hey, you had classified information that was leaked. Pete HeiG Seth, the Secretary of Defense, took issue with that yesterday and he said there was no classified information. The White House is saying it was sensitive information. So was it how who determines who's you know, who makes that call? Is it classified or not?
Speaker 8: Well, it would have been classified, you know, long before it got this secretary heg Seth's Seth's desk. So for example, just generally speaking, any attack by the US on another country, in particular before the attack occurs or during the attack itself is just classified. I mean, I can't. It just is classified. So the idea that the pieces of information about the type of planes, what time they attacked, what type of drones, that stuff would be classified. I mean, it's just it's that basically is just a no brainer. You know, people are running for the woods, I guess to protect themselves. But that's the reality. So you know, as we started this conversation, how they sort is get sorted out in reality you'll probably be up to the president with exception at Congress.
Speaker 4: Okay. And then.
Speaker 1: President Trump was asked about it when he was announcing tariff's yesterday, and what did he have to say.
Speaker 4: Basically, he said it wasn't a big deal.
Speaker 8: Uh he did say that that doesn't mean that it's true, but he did say.
Speaker 1: That, yeah, okay, and then so tell us Brad, then what is what is the the danger of this information like in real in the real world.
Speaker 8: Okay, so we'll start with both d O D and NSA have said, particularly those in the government, do not use this period. Yes, it's encrypted for you and I to talk to each other, but the belief is the Russians and the Chinese, maybe both, maybe others have the ability to hack it and have hacked it. And so you're basically talking about super sensitive information about an attack by the US and another country that could well have gotten back to the HUTIES before the attack occurred. Now you would say, okay, so what well, so what could translate into a They could move a number of things that they know that that could get bombed or destroyed. They could launch a preemptive attack on airplanes, drones and or you know, warships that are in the area. So you could have gotten US personnel hurt.
Speaker 7: Now that didn't.
Speaker 8: Apparently occur at all, and that we're very thankful. But the idea that you would talk about this kind of stuf on a commercial app that you and I can download for free is beyond head scratching.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 1: So so it's not that it was this conversation that happened to have a journalist included on it by some weird stretch of you know, whatever happened that happened, made that happen. But it's the conversation happening on signal it's really an issue.
Speaker 8: Yeah, of course it is. It's how the information got, how they were talking to each other. That conversation amy should have occurred on super classified phones in classified space.
Speaker 2: So the thing called skiffs.
Speaker 8: You know, every agency that does classified stuff has them. Some people that's where they work all day long. It's inside a skiff. It's no mobile devices, no any device that sends a signal, and typically people at access level losses level, they all have those gifts in their house and so they can securely talk to each other. Now, granted, using signal is a lot easier. You just pick up the phone and start typing, right, But that isn't how this should have unfolded. And I know if these people really had serious experience in the arenas that they're working in, my belief is it wouldn't have happened.
Speaker 1: Okay, So what's your gut, Brad, do you think this is going to escalate and really turn into something or do you think is it's just going.
Speaker 4: To go away.
Speaker 8: I think because of the ability to not pursue things because of who's in charge of certain departments, that it certainly would this ever turned into a criminal investigation.
Speaker 2: I'd be shocked.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 8: Could Congress have hearings and say you shouldn't have done this and it's a clear violation. Sure, but I'm not even sure we'll have that either. I think it just may go away.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well we'll be watching unfortunately. Yeah, Okay, always great insight and information. Thanks so much, ABC's crime and Terrorism analyst Brad Garrett.
Speaker 4: Talk to you again soon. Okay, take care of me, all right, you too.
Speaker 1: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Homeland Security Secretary Christy Noum has visited the high security prison in El Salvador where hundreds of deported Venezuelans have been sent. The Trump administration alleges they are members of the Venezuelan gang Trende Arragua and are the worst of the worst. Officials have argued in federal court the administration was justified in sending the Venezuelans to El Salvador. Activists say the prison is rife with human rights abuses. A federal appeals court has backed a decision to block the administration from sending illegal immigrants from Venezuela to El Salvador using an eighteenth century law. The deportations based on claims that, of course, the immigrants were part of the trende ragua gang. US District Judge James Boseberg says people facing deportation should have the chance to challenge being labeled as gang members. President Trump says he could extend the deadline for the upcoming TikTok ban if he wants to. He also told reporters yesterday he might give China a reduction in tariffs if its government approves a TikTok deal brokered by America.
Speaker 8: There are numerous ways you can buy TikTok, and we will find the one.
Speaker 10: That's best for the country.
Speaker 11: For our country, I'm worried about our country more than anything else.
Speaker 1: TikTok's fate has been up in the air for months due to a bill forcing its Chinese owned parent company, Byte Dance to sell the app to a non Chinese buyer or be banned in the US. The deadline to finalize the deal is April fifth. Vice President Vance has been working to find a buyer for the app. A tourist submarine has sunk off the coast of Egypt, killing six people. Nine others are heard. Officials say the sub sink in the popular Egyptian Red Sea destination of Hergatta Kiss. Fans have a chance to join the band on the road, but you're only get to be a roadie for a day, and it's not free. Singer Gene Simmons says a fan and a friend could be his personal assistance and banded roadies for a day for just twelve thousand dollars. The rocker calls it the ultimate Gene Simmons experience. He says a package would include a signed bass guitar and the opportunity to hang out with the band backstage. The roadies would even be introduced to the crowd. So far, nobody's worked over the twelve grand.
Speaker 4: I was going to say, that's a pretty good trick. Get them detated to your work.
Speaker 1: The ely Keunty Sheriff's Department is going to be reviewing hundreds of criminal cases because of the use of faulty DNA test kits. The bad kits were used between July twenty twenty four and last month. About four thousand DNA samples are affected. How did it happen? Well, the manufacturer apparently told the Sheriff's department about the defective batch of kits in late August, but that email was forwarded to a person who no longer works for the Sheriff's department, so nobody got the message. Lasers were pointed at pilots more times in the last year in California than in any other year. More than fourteen hundred laser strikes were reported to the FAA and the state. For twenty twenty four, more than twelve thousand laser strikes were reported around the US. Score one for In and Out Burger Fans, a Woodland Hills homeowners group that sued to stop the project until traffic, noise, and water quality studies were done. As settled its case and withdrawn its request for a pause. Construction of the in and Out on Venture Boulevard east of Westlake Avenue has already been approved by the City of la and when it opens, long lines will ensue. That's almost a guarantee. Right at six ZHO five. It's handle on the news New tariffs are coming for cars. What that means Chris Merrill is in for handle. He's gonna have lots to say about that. I have something to say. Go Dodgers. I knew it right, Okay. The Dodgers' home opener, of course this afternoon seems only fitting that we have a super fan on wake up call. So we want to say good morning to Dodgers superfan Jose Bluebeard.
Speaker 4: Laura, good morning.
Speaker 9: Good morning. How are you today?
Speaker 4: Well, I'm fabulous.
Speaker 1: I'm guessing that if I ask you, you're gonna say you're fabulous too, because it's the home opener.
Speaker 9: I'm blautiful, beautiful.
Speaker 4: So Jose, when did you become a super fan?
Speaker 9: It started? I'd say about twelve years ago. I just was going to a game and I had some blue spray there and I sprayed my beard and then I'm willing to do it again nixt here, And when I did it to nixt year, I was actually the first fan of the game. They had me and my wife on kiss cam and everything else, and it kind of your golf.
Speaker 1: So once you're on kiss can, you're you're dedicated. You know you're locked in. So, uh, you mentioned that you sprayed your your beard blue.
Speaker 4: And now it's not just an once a year thing.
Speaker 9: No, it's all year. Now I diet and it's pretty much until the last game of the Dodgers, So it's died. I'd say about eleven months out of the year.
Speaker 1: Great, So then you go, oh natchural for about a month. And I heard that you the upkeep on keeping that beard Dodger blue is pretty extensive.
Speaker 9: Yes, it's about every four days. To keep it the proper blue, I have to diet because once I wash it starts to fade a little bit. But yeah, it's it's a process. I'll tell you that much.
Speaker 4: Well, you could just not shower if you wanted to.
Speaker 9: But that's a whole other Oh no, no, no, no, got it.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 1: So but and aside from Dodgers blue, there's significance to the beard.
Speaker 4: What is that.
Speaker 9: Well, I become I became a Dodger called Dodgered Up. And this group likes to help out a lot of families, especially families that have children with cancer. But if your family needs the group will help. And there's another friend of mine named Hi coomes to Clown. He also kind of like brought that on so now donating blood every eight weeks, helping out as much as I can. I'm growing my hair to donate it in the little girl's name, that's who has leukemia. So we're just always helping.
Speaker 4: And the group is called dodgered Up.
Speaker 9: Yes, you know how you get dressed all dressed up? Yep, but this is Dodger apostphree ed Up. It's on Facebook. It's almost twenty thousand members.
Speaker 4: I love that. I'm pretty dodgered up myself today.
Speaker 1: And then I just saw I just saw our engineer Rich He's in doing his thing, his early morning rounds, and he's dodgered up too, unfortunately.
Speaker 4: Matter of fact, yeah.
Speaker 9: Matter of fact, right now walking my dog and he has a personal last name. His name is Chavez, last name Ravine.
Speaker 1: So you really have a Dodger dog, Yes I do, Okay, Yeah.
Speaker 4: I love that.
Speaker 1: Okay, And then not to eat your dog, of course, But are you a Dodger dog only guy, or do you sample other stuff around the stadium.
Speaker 9: I'll sample other stuff most of the times. Just get Dodger dogs. Then my wife loves the nachos and uh, you know a couple of beers. It's all we can afford. Now here's like twenty dollars.
Speaker 4: Okay, who's your favorite player.
Speaker 9: Jose, Mine would be Justin Turner. So Justin and actually help me. There's a little girl that he helped out three times, the little girl going in hair for Her name is Natalie and she actually threw up the first pitch three times with Justin. She was a little girl that a little too too. And how he loves her giving his wife love do so much for I miss Justin Turner.
Speaker 1: In fact, I am wearing my look. I'm wearing my Justin Turner jersey today. Yeah, he's one of the best of all time. What's your prediction for the game.
Speaker 9: Today? I think it's gonna be five four Dodgers.
Speaker 4: Okay, what's your prediction for the season.
Speaker 9: For the season, like, what's the same told me the what's the manager told me last year? He told me all the way, We're going all the way. Even Bonda told me that's this morning yesterday, all the way.
Speaker 1: Okay, Jose blue Beard, We're gonna hold you to it and we'll be looking for your blue Beard in the stands this season.
Speaker 4: Thanks so much for taking some time this morning.
Speaker 9: Thank you. You guys have a great day and go Dodgers go blue.
Speaker 4: All right, thanks so much. I love it. I can't wait. I'm so excited. You need to buy something blue. Dye something blue. I know, no, maybe a blue streak. Okay, okay.
Speaker 1: A vaccinated toddler from Riverside County or from Riverside the City, actually has been diagnosed with measles. The two year old's mom says everyone in the family's up to date with vaccines. Mom says their daughter started feeling sick on Saturday, three days after going to a community event with about twenty other children. Doctors say the toddler's MMR shot gave her about ninety one percent protection, and that it's not until the second shot at four to six years old that a child gets about ninety seven percent immunity. The measles outbreak is growing across at least four states.
Speaker 11: Health officials announced at least twenty three cases have been reported in Kansas. They say they're likely linked to the nearly four hundred cases confirmed across Texas, New Mexico, and Oklahoma. In Kansas, twenty one of the cases are in children, and twenty of them were unvaccinated.
Speaker 1: Kfi's Tammy Truchio says at least forty two people across the US have ended up in the hospital with measles, and one unvaccinated child has died. A convicted sex offender is pleaded not guilty to theft, ID theft and being a sex offender on school grounds Billsey. Fifty four year old Fred Ruiz stole from several people at wrestling meets in Anaheim and Your Belinda Bilise also communicated with several male students and took pictures at several athletic events. The thefts happened at Esperanza High on January twenty fifth and Your Belinda High on March ninth. Former workers of a shutdown restaurant in downtown LA have asked city Hall for help.
Speaker 2: The original Pantry Cafe has been closed since March second, after one hundred years of service. Workers rallied at an LA City Council meeting hoping for support, including seventeen year cafe veteran Diana Garcia, who says it's been tough.
Speaker 12: We dedicated decades of her lives to this restaurant. We were loyal to this restaurant, We love working at this restaurant, and now that we are left without a job, with nothing, no severance paid, no job nothing. We're very worried for our future.
Speaker 2: The workers plan to return to City Hall Friday with a pancake breakfast. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: The lineup for this year's CMA Fest in Nashville has been announced. Love me Some country music headliners for the four day festival include Megan Moroney, Jason al Dean Brooks and Dunn, and Cody Johnson. Other big names in country music will be there too, including Keith Urban, Luke Bryant, Dirk s Bentley, and Kelsey Ballerini. Cmafest happens June fifth through the eighth. If you haven't been, and you haven't an inkling to go to Nashville, it's a good time. Let me tell you. Fortnite Stadium passes are on sale now and then fans can sign up for pre sale information for single night tickets when we come back.
Speaker 4: Amy's on it? What am I?
Speaker 1: I'm on A really good show about people who do really bad things and a really lovable bad guy. President Trump has signed an executive order imposing twenty five percent tariffs on cars and trucks not made in the US. He says the order will mean more cars and parts will be made here. He also said people who buy cars made in America will be able to deduct the interest on their car loans. A California lawmaker doesn't want prisoners to have to work. Assembly Member Laurie Wilson introduced a bill that would prevent the Department of Correction from requiring people in prison to work, with some exceptions, local governments would be responsible for paying inmates to work. Voters rejected a similar measure in the twenty twenty four election. The MUD's been cleared out, the floors are being cleaned up, and Dukes says it's planning to reopen. The iconic Beachfront restaurant in Malibu was spared from the wildfires in January, but got damaged in a mud slide in February. It's been closed since then. Duke's posted on social media that it doesn't have an exact date, but plans to reopen sometime this summer. At six o five, it's handled on the news with special guests Chris Merrill, Homeland Security Secretary Christy Noam visited that prisoner or that prison in El Salvador where all the people that the Trump administration says our trende Arragua gang members are now calling home.
Speaker 4: As on its on it? What am I on?
Speaker 1: I'm on TV, movie books, sometimes even live shows, but mostly streaming. And there's a lot to see, a lot of good, some not so good. So I watch it, share it with you and if you have any recommendations, because I take recommendations from friend, but if you have recommendations you want to share with me, I'll.
Speaker 4: Check it out too.
Speaker 1: Okay, first of all, I got to tell you there is a show that I'm a hard pass on. I tried to watch it. I thought, well, I should at least give it a chance. It might be kind of interesting. It's called The Baldwins. It's about Alec and his wife and they're seven children. They live in New York City, and it plays out like a propaganda video like here, let's make Alec Baldwin and his family look really good. And I couldn't get through the first episode, so I can't tell you about the whole series because I couldn't get through the first episode. So I would say hard pass on that if you want to dive in, let me know what you think. But I love Alec Baldwin as an actor, and he is a great actor. This show not great. But let's move on to something that I think is worth watching. And it's Tulsa King season two out on Paramount Plus.
Speaker 4: The whole season is out, and.
Speaker 1: It's the saga of Sylvester Stallone, who plays Dwight the General man Freddie. If you remember from season one, and if you haven't watched season one, season one is great too. He is basically, he's a gangster in New York City, gets caught, whether he took a fall for the mob or he just got busted for all the really crappy things that he did. He ended up in prison for a very long time. He gets released. This all season one, so it's just a quick recap. They don't want to deal with him in New York, so they send him to Oklahoma and he goes there to be a mobster and he basically takes over in Tulsa. Now, I was worried that season two wouldn't be as good as season one, but I think it really is. Maybe the first episode maybe a little bit hard. I was talking to Debra Mark about it and she said, ah, and I said, give it another try.
Speaker 4: But it's great.
Speaker 1: There are bad guys, and he is one of the bad guys, but then the show features more bad guys who are even worse, so Sylvester Stallone and his gang end up being the good guys when it comes to bad guys, if that make sense. And the really cool thing about it I think is one, it's just it's a fun watch. It's Sylvester Stallone's character, Dwight Man Freddy really kind of struggles with wanting to be good and wanting to do good, but he's also running a drug and money laundering business, so he's doing a lot of bad stuff. There are a lot of people who get killed, and at some point I was thinking to myself, you know, you'd think that somebody in Tulsa would say where are all these bodies come from?
Speaker 4: But that doesn't seem to come up. So whatever.
Speaker 1: But it is a Taylor Sheridan show, which makes sense to why I like it because there's several of his shows. I was looking it up. I'm like, and what other shows has he done?
Speaker 13: Well?
Speaker 4: He's behind some of my favorites.
Speaker 1: Even though they're a lot, they're pretty dark, and there are lots of bad guys and lots of killing and that kind of stuff. But Mayor of Kingstown, I love that show Yellowstone all the way back to Sons of Anarchy. I did not watch that so one, but from everybody that I talked to who did, they loved it. And then the new one land Man so love Taylor Sheridan shows love this show. And season three is coming again. The first two seasons are out. It's on Paramount Plus. They're already in production in Atlanta and Oklahoma for season three.
Speaker 4: It is a fun watch. I'm on it. I think you should be too.
Speaker 1: All Right, it's time to get in your business with Bloomberg's Courtney Donaho.
Speaker 4: Good morning Courtney.
Speaker 13: Yes, good morning.
Speaker 1: So another day and another retailer says, that's enough foreclosed shop.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and we it's Petco that we're looking at to Really Petco's going out. They're not going out.
Speaker 13: They're closing a bunch of locations because what they want to do is they want to get higher profits. So the retailer plans to cut its store count by as much as thirty locations this year after shutting twenty five last year. So their executives went into their balance sheet and said, hey, we're closing all these stores. Our profits are a lot better. Maybe we'll continue to do more and in its place, Petco says we're going to grow our online store instead because that's where they believe the money is. So they expect sales to fall this year, surprisingly because the overall pet industry has been growing rival Chewy, that's the online pet pet company. They said this week that pet adoption rates are continuing to improve, especially for cats.
Speaker 4: I've got two now, Ah, do you have cats?
Speaker 13: No, my brother has a cat who is actually going to be moving to New York very soon. And actually next month I'm going to be flying a cat from Florida to New York.
Speaker 4: It's not a big deal.
Speaker 1: Just be prepared because when you go through security at TSA, you actually have to take them out of the carrier.
Speaker 4: So make sure that you end.
Speaker 1: The first time I found that out, I was like, Uh, what if my cat gets loose and like freaks out and runs off, So just make sure that doesn't happen.
Speaker 13: And Oscar Julio Jorge, named after a bunch of Yankees grates it's not the easiest of cats.
Speaker 4: Oscar's seventeen years old. Oh kind of set in his way. Yeah, well, good luck with that, Courtney.
Speaker 1: Okay, yes, and then just quickly, you've mentioned another store's closing. We've got Khal's or a bunch of them are closing too.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah.
Speaker 13: A number of retailers have been saying, all right, I'm closing up shop. Walgreens is another that's cutting a bunch of stores CVS. So they're even changing their format in a way. They said, hey, you know what we're going to do. We're going to have smaller stores that are only the pharmacy and not the retail portion. So everybody is looking at their business in the light of a inflation and b how a lot of people are getting things from uh from online. And the other thing too, you can't forget is theft. Theft has been a major game changer. Oh and it's the worst mortar retailers.
Speaker 1: It's the worst to go into the stores and then you have to find somebody to come unlock the case where you we've come. We've talked about it before, but it's just it's just a pain in the butt. So I get where they're trying to.
Speaker 13: Figure out no employees, Yeah, thing slots up, so okay, yeah, I get it.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about, uh, why you might want to go buy a car today.
Speaker 13: Oh well, one of the issues coming up is these tariffs on auto imports. We've been talking about this. This is definitely going to hurt carmakers around the world. It's going to push up prices for consumers. So that's why you say, hey, now is the right time. But one winner stands out in all of this, and that's Tesla. They have large factories in California and Texas that turn out all the cars that sells in the US. So analysts are pointing out that Elon Musk's car company is the least exposed to all these new duties due to its domestic manufacturing operations. Ford also could face a less severe impact than some rivals. About eighty percent of its cars are built domestically. On the other hand, the car makers that are probably going to take the biggest hit or Volkswagen and Hyundai. They're expected to be the most among the most hardest hit.
Speaker 4: What about Chevy oh GM.
Speaker 13: Yeah no, they definitely have a significant amount of operations. But you can't forget too is that it also deals with parts too, engines, transmissions, and the supply chain. When you look at what's going on within that industry is just huge. So this is going to be It's not that it's something that can turn on a dime. This is something that's going to take a significant amount of time to be able to turn around for many of these car makers, especially the ones in the US too, and not only thinking about Chevy and GM Stillantis two, which is the maker of Jeep and Ram and Chrysler.
Speaker 4: They're going to take a hit. Oh key doky.
Speaker 1: But now we got to be careful with saying go out and buy a car, because, like we were talking to our money guy, Joel Larsgard, and he said, just because that's coming, it doesn't mean if you don't need a car you should like go oh, I need to go buy a car. I mean, like, really weigh this one carefully.
Speaker 13: And you have to think about it that so many Americans are struggling to afford their monthly car payments because of higher interest rates and these prices. That we're seeing car repos surge last year to the most since two thousand and nine, and remember two thousand and nine was the financial crisis. Cox Automotive has the data and they said roughly one point seven million cars wereceived. That's up sixteen percent from the prior year. So you're paying these expensive cars and they're being taken away if you're not making that payment.
Speaker 1: Okay, And speaking of surges, are we going to see any surges in the markets today.
Speaker 13: It's a little quiet compared to what we saw yesterday. Investors continued to be concerned about the impact of tariffs on economic growth that is holding backstocks. This morning, S ANDB futures they're down a tenth of percent, so essentially their little change. Same goes for Dow futures, which are just up thirty five points. But yesterday it was a rough day because big tech drove the major benchmarks lower. The S and P five hundred tumbled one point one percent.
Speaker 1: Okay, getting in your business with Bloomberg's Courtney Donaho, as we do every day on wake up call.
Speaker 4: Thanks Courtney. We'll talk to you tomorrow, see you later, Okay.
Speaker 1: Police are looking for the public's help to find a man who groped a woman at a supermarket in South la This is scary sore. Surveillance video shows the suspect following a thirty two year old woman around the store back in August, then he grabs her. He then punched an elderly woman in the chest as he walked out. He's Hispanic, in his thirties, five eleven, two hundred thirty pounds and wears thick glasses. Governor Newsom has announced seventy six million dollars in grants to help protect faith, communities and nonprofits in California to go to about three hundred groups. Newsom says Californians deserve the right to worship, love and gather safely without fear of violence. Olympic soccer is headed to the Rose Bowl.
Speaker 4: The city of.
Speaker 1: Pasadena announced the agreement yesterday with Olympics organizers to have the iconic stadium host both the men's and women's semi final and final matches for the twenty twenty eight Summer Games. We're just minutes away from a handle on the news this morning. A missed email apparently is the reason La County Sheriff's deputies are going to have to redo four thousand DNA tests. Right now, let's say good morning to Sandy Steers with friends of Big Bear Valley.
Speaker 4: Sandy, we need an eaglet update.
Speaker 7: Okay, good morning, good.
Speaker 1: Morning, So tell us how the kids are growing. Tell us the latest on how they're doing.
Speaker 7: Well. They're doing great. They're both eating very well, getting over stuffed if anything. And the big one is growing faster than the little one, so that's interesting to watch. And they both are now their clown feet where they grow faster. Their feet grow faster than the rest of them, and so they are very big when they're trying to waddle around the nest.
Speaker 1: So you know, I remember seeing this from years past that all of a sudden, you go, my goodness, look at those feet when they're born. Are they that bright yellowy orange color or does that happen as they start growing.
Speaker 7: That happens is they're a little bit yellow, but that bright color gets as they start growing.
Speaker 4: And they're getting up and walking around a lot more.
Speaker 7: I'm noticing they are. And yes, yes, they're moving all over the nest and sometimes falling down in between going from one place to another. And they're also winger sizing. They both are stretching their little wings out and slapping up and down at least as much as they can, which sometimes is only a flap or two.
Speaker 1: And you call it winger sizing. Yes, I think that it's fun to watch them as they try to use their wings to balance too.
Speaker 7: They do, yes, and sometimes bash each other with their wings as they're trying to just.
Speaker 9: Hold themselves up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so, Sandy, one of the things that we've talked about before, the people like we're freaking out about it is the thing that they do called bonking, where they it's a dominance thing and like a establishing a pecking order.
Speaker 4: It's very natural.
Speaker 1: But when you first see it, you go, oh, my goodness, are they killing each other?
Speaker 4: But they're not.
Speaker 7: They're not at all. No, they are trying to establish which one is in charge basically, and the actually, the little one is the one that keeps instigating those things and trying to prove well, I'm sure I'm big enough now, and then it bows over and says, no, I guess that didn't work.
Speaker 1: Yes, but he's see that's why we named him Rocky because he's a little fighter.
Speaker 4: We love that about it.
Speaker 7: Yes, yes, yeah, okay.
Speaker 4: And then how big are they?
Speaker 1: Because we've noticed there's not nearly as much room in the nest anymore.
Speaker 7: They're not quite a foot high. I mean they're probably eight or nine inches, so.
Speaker 4: They're like the size of a small chicken at this point.
Speaker 7: Yes, wow, they gets.
Speaker 1: It's deceptive when you're looking at the at the nest. And then, speaking of watching, which I do kind of obsessive Lane. Yesterday, when I looked there, we're like sixty fifty sixty thousand people. There's twenty thousand people watching right now. We know that in the last storm there was some issues with the camera with the sound and the infrared, and I'm guessing that can't be fixed until probably until later this year.
Speaker 7: Well, that's possible. We're looking at to see if there's anything on the like the software mechanisms inside that we might be able to do. But if it's the hardware, then no, we can't do anything with it.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 1: I do I miss hearing them chirping, although I don't necessarily miss the cries of Jackie in shadow because they can be kind of piercing.
Speaker 7: So yes, that's true.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay.
Speaker 1: And then the other thing that we've noticed is that the eagles fly away and leave the kids behind a lot more.
Speaker 4: And that's normal.
Speaker 7: That's okay, that's totally normal. What they're doing is allowing the chicks to get their independence and to develop, and so the chicks when they're left alone by the parents, will you know, soon start pecking at the food themselves and learning to eat. And it gives them room to you know, exercise their wings and move around the nest. And so they're just letting them develop. But they are nearby. Jack and Shudder are always nearby, Okay.
Speaker 4: And then one other thing.
Speaker 1: It's a sad thing, but it was, I mean it was beautiful, sad strange when we lost the other the eaglet, which didn't make it through that last snowstorm and we had like two feet of snow. First of all, it was a shadow who removed him from the nest.
Speaker 7: Bole, Yes, it was.
Speaker 4: And then and then Jackie.
Speaker 1: Picked him up and flew off with him, like said, I can't have them in the nest anymore.
Speaker 7: Right, It's kind of like what I figured out. It's kind of like their way of bearing it so that it's And actually we saw Jackie from a security camera. We saw her drop the chick into the forest like she was I mean, it's letting it go.
Speaker 1: Yes, Why are we so obsessed with this? I know I'm obsessed with Sandy. Why do you think people are so obsessed with watching these guys.
Speaker 7: Because we don't get to see nature this close up it and to see how much it's like us, how much we are nature, and to see the behaviors and the personalities that Jackie and Shadow have individual personalities. They're not just these things out there they are they have their own unique way of doing things. Each both of them are different than each other, and I think people are fascinated to find out they're all individuals out there and they have emotions and they have things and living their lives independently like we do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it is beautiful to watch.
Speaker 1: I love it, and you can watch any old time because that camera's going twenty four to seven. Friends of Big Bear Valley is the website, and again we always want to mention Sandy that you guys are a nonprofit organization and so if anyone wants to help you out a little bit, make a donation, where do they go?
Speaker 7: Go to the website friendso big Bear Valley dot org.
Speaker 1: We couldn't be watching, yeah, we couldn't be watching our eglitz without you. So again, Sandy Steers with Friends of Big Bear Valley. We always love talking to you and hearing how the eglits are doing. Thanks so much for the update.
Speaker 4: Thank you, all right, take care. I can't help it. I'm obsessed. I am will be ubsessed, definitely. It's so beautiful.
Speaker 1: All right, Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Environmental activists are planning to protest outside Dodger Stadium ahead of today's home opener.
Speaker 10: The group wants the team to cut ties with Phillips sixty six, which owns the seventy six Gas Station chain. Sinis based Phillips sixty six is accused of dumping oil and grease from its Carson refinery into the La County sewer system. The seventy six Gas Station chain is a prominent sponsor at Dodgers Stadium.
Speaker 1: Kfi's Daniel Martindale says the rally is set to start at two, about two hours before the game. You can hear all of the Dodgers games on our sister station, klac AM five.
Speaker 4: Seventy.
Speaker 1: Metro's offering free rides to the game for fans with a game ticket. Metro's also extending pregame service by one hour for the twenty twenty five season. That means Express buses will start taking fans to the stadium two and a half hours before the games. Fans can get on board at Union Station, the Harbor Gateway Transit Center in Guardina, and at stops along the one ten Freeway at the Slawson Manchester Harbor Freeway and rosecrans stations. The La City Council's adopted a series of additional measures to strengthen its sanctuary city status for illegal immigrants. City council in Hugo Soto Martinez says the Trump administration has targeted some people for deportation who haven't committed crimes.
Speaker 5: Right now, innocent people are being sent to El Salvade, a country they've never been there before without hearing. Mothers and fathers are being taken to Guantanamo Bay and being held with nine to eleven terrorists.
Speaker 1: The city council has approved a citywide information campaign to make illegal immigrants aware of their rights. The council also asked city staff to find more than five hundred thousand dollars to prop up a legal defense support program that some saw that's also funding frozen by the Trump White House. President Trump is as the Supreme Court to freeze millions of dollars in state grants meant to address teacher shortages. The White House claims the funds were being used for DEI programs. The administration is trying to stop funding to state programs as part of its efforts against DEIS.
Speaker 7: Piano Mans Sissole Then.
Speaker 1: HBO is in now to two part documentary on the artist known as the Piano Man.
Speaker 4: Yes we know, it's Billy Joel.
Speaker 1: It's named after a song on Joel's nineteen eighty nine album storm Front.
Speaker 4: It's called Billy Joel and so it goes.
Speaker 1: The release date hasn't been announced, but it's going to be on HBO and stream on Max sometime this summer. Joel's currently recovering from surgery for an undisclosed medical condition and has postponed his current current tour for four months. Don't forget Wiggle Wagglewalk is coming up on April sixth, and we would love to have you join the wake Up Call Wigglers. If you want to join our team make a donation, please go to KFI AM six forty dot com slash Wiggle And it is time for World Champion Dodger Baseball. Today, the Dodgers take on the Detroit Tigers in opening Day action. It's at Dodgers Stadium. First pitch goes out at four ten. You can listen to every game on the iHeartRadio app Keyword AM five seventy LA Sports brought to you in part by Harry Potter and the Curse Child. Now at the Hollywood Pantagious Visit Broadway in Hollywood dot com. This is KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County, Southland. Weather from KFI, Hoping things will break up a little better than they did yesterday. We've got low clouds again this morning and it should be partly cloudy after that. I will be in the mid sixties at the Beach's upper sixties for Metro LA and Inlandoc around seventy in the valleys in ie sixties to mid seventies in the Antelope Valley. It's fifty six in Diamond Bar, fifty seven in Newport Beach, fifty three in Palmdale, and fifty six in Tustin. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call. If you missed any wake up call, you can always listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to Wake Up Call with me Amy King. You can always hear Wakeup Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI AM six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app