Speaker 1: Welcome to the Great Detectives of Old Time Radio from Boise, Idaho. This is your host, Adam Graham. If you have a comment, email it to me Box thirteen at Great Detectives dot net, follow us on Twitter at Radio Detectives, and become one of our friends on Facebook, Facebook, dot com Slash Radio Detectives. Today's program is brought to in part by the financial support of our listeners. I want to thank Lisa for sending in a donation to our peel box Peelbox one five nine one three boys idahol eight three seven one five. That's Peelbox one five nine thirteen Boise idahol eight three seven one five. You can also send along one time donations to support dot Great Detectives dot net, and you can become one of our ongoing contributors with monthly donations of two to thirty dollars at Patreon dot Great Detectives dot net. Well, now it's time for today's episode of Not Bait and Well, I'll admit to being a little bit unsure on the providence of it. I will go ahead and play it and we'll talk about it afterwards. The original air date is July the thirteenth, nineteen fifty one, and this one is Anton's return.
Speaker 2: Nights eight.
Speaker 3: Hi.
Speaker 4: This is Randy Stone. I cover the night Beat for the Chicago Star. Stories start in many different ways. This one began on an elevated train and ended in eternity.
Speaker 5: Night Beat, starring Fik love Joy as Ramby Stone.
Speaker 6: The night is just about washed up.
Speaker 4: The sky is getting that tattletale gray around the edges. Another hour or so, three million alarm clocks will start yacking against the air drums of Chicago's.
Speaker 6: Dear hearts and gentle people.
Speaker 4: A goodly number have said, dear hearts and gentle people will stumbled at the front door for they copy of the Morning Star. I'm wondering what they'll say when they read the opening sentence of night Beat story for Today, the line that goes, this is a love story with the happiest ending.
Speaker 6: I've ever heard.
Speaker 4: I guess they'll think his spring has got me in its perfume clutches, And more than likely I'll wind up around the.
Speaker 6: Blogonney Sandwich and that'll be that.
Speaker 4: Only if they just keep reading, maybe they'll be in for a strange kind of surprise. It started a little after ten o'clock last night. I just boarded an elevated train and was on my way to the loop.
Speaker 6: The train was pretty crowded, but I.
Speaker 4: Saw on it the seed up front, and I hurried for it. I started sitting down without.
Speaker 6: Looking at Tom. Where have you been? I beg your pardon.
Speaker 7: Oh, I've waited for long and Tom the girls sitting next to me.
Speaker 6: I noticed her for the first time.
Speaker 4: About twenty maybe, and so beautiful, so delicately beautiful.
Speaker 6: It was like your eyes. It hit the jackpot, and.
Speaker 4: Somehow the grinding elevator train suddenly sounded like a gypsy violin.
Speaker 3: You shouldn't have gone away.
Speaker 4: Look, I hate to tell you this, but I think you've got me mixed up.
Speaker 3: It's so good to hear you, to be near you, and Ton so good.
Speaker 6: Yes, it's good to be near you too. Kid. Won't ever go away again, will you. I'd like to stay here forever, coms me.
Speaker 3: You'll never go away.
Speaker 4: Beautiful as she was, and started giving me the crease. If i'd been Anton, i've enjoyed it immensely, But being as how I was two other guys, I didn't see it. Also, there was something about her eyes a disturbing brightness. I didn't know what to do about it, and before I could decided, I reached my transfer station.
Speaker 6: I started getting up. Lady, look, it's my station. I take it easy. I talk me, what's wrong with you? This is my stake.
Speaker 8: I'll you'll just have to kid, and I'll like, go my son.
Speaker 4: She folded up like a little rag doll, and there were dead faint. I bent over a picked up her arm. The massage your wrist was like touching a hot stove. She was burning up with fever. Passengers in the car were crowding around. The conductor still hadn't given the signal for the train to leave the station. I picked the girl up in my arms, who was like lifting a ten year old kid. She must have weighed a fast ninety pounds. I carried her out of the train under the platform. Someone called for an ambulance. She was still unconscious when the ambulance came. She looked so small and so lost, and so.
Speaker 6: Alone and well.
Speaker 4: According to her, I was Anton, so the least Anton could do would be to sit beside her on the long ride to the hospital.
Speaker 6: She was still out cold.
Speaker 4: When we reached County Hospital, they found her name and address inside her purse.
Speaker 6: This is Mauritia Noek.
Speaker 4: Six one two Larabee Street. I waited around to see what was wrong with it. After almost an hour, they said I could go upstairs.
Speaker 6: And talk to the doctor.
Speaker 4: Oh yes, doctor, I want to see about that girl. I brought in Marisha, and I like, yes, relative of yours? Oh no, no, I just met her.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 8: I'm afraid we've got the contact somewherelative right away.
Speaker 6: Nothing you can do for her?
Speaker 8: Do for her for a kid's been sick for years, and wait till she's dying before she comes to a hospital.
Speaker 6: It takes money to go to the hospital down not here.
Speaker 8: Why didn't she come here? It's wrong with these people? Are they proud of stupid?
Speaker 6: Three years ago, maybe we could have done something for her. But now, Oh yeah, I don't know, mister s Tone, I don't know. It's it's completely frustrating. You study medicine, What good does it do? Sometimes life doesn't seem to make any sense. Since one is it supposed to make sense? I sound like this is my first patient.
Speaker 8: Not very professional, I'm afraid, but don't worry about it.
Speaker 6: It's human. Now. This girl keeps talking about her husband Anton. Well, she was talking that way when I met her. He is he's supposed to take her away some place to Mexico.
Speaker 8: She says, well, it's warm and she'll get well what they expect miracles?
Speaker 6: No sure miracles. Maybe Mexico is going to be her miracle.
Speaker 8: Do you have any idea how to contact her husband?
Speaker 6: Doesn't a girl know where he is?
Speaker 8: Doesn't seem to even when she's not delirious. Got an address? Workers a place over on Larabee Street, north of Chicago Avenue.
Speaker 6: Yes, I know that neighborhood.
Speaker 8: Furnished rooms with kitchen privileges, bring your own mass trans lovely, no phone listing. I was thinking of calling the police. Yeah, trouble is there so little time? How much time I don't know? Could happen five minutes from now?
Speaker 6: Five hours? Well, i'll tell you what.
Speaker 4: I'll drop by her address and see what I can find out.
Speaker 6: All right, nurse, care to see your mister storm? Yeah?
Speaker 4: The doc turned and walked into the room, and I, well, I follow him. That's a nice promising beginning for a love story with a happy ending. Only when we got inside Mauritia and no X room, the joke was on me.
Speaker 6: There was no hearts and flowers.
Speaker 4: She was even more beautiful than before, her black hair spread out on a white pillow, her delicate face, and the lovely eyes following us as we came into the room. No fear in those eyes, none at all, just a sort of questioning. Doctor found him yet not yet, Mauritia was still trying. This is mister Stone. He's trying to help us locate your husband.
Speaker 3: Oh, I hope you find him, poor Anton. You feel so bad if you don't find.
Speaker 8: Him in time, of course, he well, that's why the doctor would like you to tell me anything you can, and I'd help us find him.
Speaker 3: But I told the doctor he went to find work my Anton, so he could take me away where I could get well, could be a wife to him.
Speaker 6: There's a bother you to talk as it, Tirant.
Speaker 3: No, no, I like talking about him. And there's so little time.
Speaker 6: Doctor said, you were planning on going to Mexico.
Speaker 3: To Las Flories, little town of flowers and very cruise. My ring is from Mexico. See silver and turquoise.
Speaker 6: Nice.
Speaker 3: We were married with two rings exactly a life silver and turquoise.
Speaker 6: You think Anton could have gone there to Mexico.
Speaker 3: No, no, we'd never have gone there without me, the little town of the flowers, like we planned on our honeymoon, just like it said in the travel folder, thousands of blossoms on the water for a fuming years. But we went to a real hotel here in Chicago and our honeymoon. Anton insisted on it, even though we couldn't afford it. It was in the winter, and it was cold in Chicago like now. Icicles hung from the trees, breaking the branches. But in the room it was war and we had each other.
Speaker 6: Look out the window.
Speaker 9: Mauritia, you know, I've never seen the lake from up high in the beautiful and I'm so.
Speaker 3: Happy, And toon, wasn't it extravagant coming here to a hotel. I'd have been just as satisfied going straight to our.
Speaker 6: Room on Laravie Street. No, Mauritia, not on our honeymoon. We left time enough for that.
Speaker 9: How could you possibly imagine anything beautiful from a furnished room on Laravie.
Speaker 6: Street, Darling. But here this is different.
Speaker 9: It's more than a hotel room in Chicago overlooking the lake. This is what we've dreamed of. Imagine, It's less Florish. Yeah, the little town of the flowers. Look out there, Mauritia. That isn't snow, it's thick tropical foliage. And those aren't icicles hanging from the trees, the blossoms, and the wind is warm and soft outside.
Speaker 6: Oh, you'll get well, Mauritia.
Speaker 3: And we don't need money.
Speaker 6: We can live for practically nothing.
Speaker 3: Fresh fruit growing on trees all we can eat. We will go there, Anton, we will, and I'll get well there. I'll be a wife to you Anton.
Speaker 6: Just you wait and see.
Speaker 3: But we didn't go to Mexico.
Speaker 6: And then Anton went away, and you haven't heard from him since.
Speaker 3: No, but I don't blame him. Why should a man stay with a wife who's sick.
Speaker 8: Oh no, no, no, you said yourself. You went away to warn money for your truth.
Speaker 3: Yes, if that's it. But now if I could only see him once more, just once to tell him not to feel badly, to be happy for what we had, if I could only tell him not to feel sorry, because it was the same as if we really had been us. Floris.
Speaker 6: Well, you better rest now, I'll I'll try.
Speaker 10: To find him.
Speaker 6: It's tough when they know they're going to die.
Speaker 4: It's not that they're scared, but suddenly there's something they feel that got to do when time is running out.
Speaker 6: That's how it was with Mauritia Noick. She had to find her Anton to.
Speaker 4: Tell him it was okay about a little town of Mexico that either one of them have ever seen or of a wood.
Speaker 8: See, how do you find a guy like that? And what was I doing looking for him? I took her cab back to the loop, I picked up my car and drove over to the Larryby Street address.
Speaker 4: It was a rooming house, all right, and the poorest looking one on the block.
Speaker 6: I rang the bell and I waited. Middle aged woman came to the door.
Speaker 3: What is it.
Speaker 6: Are you the manager?
Speaker 11: You're looking for a room?
Speaker 6: I got no vacant.
Speaker 4: Oh no, no, I don't want a room. You have someone living here by the name of Noick.
Speaker 11: Yeah, but she ain't home, which ain't been here all day.
Speaker 6: I know that she's in the hospital.
Speaker 11: The hospital all the poor thing. I was worried about her. She's never been out late.
Speaker 6: Like this is her husband here? Anton Noick?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 11: I know he ain't been here for a long time, working someplace out of the city.
Speaker 4: I think whether you have any idea where I've got to find him. Missus Noak is well, they don't expect her to live. He's got to be notified.
Speaker 6: Oh, that poor little girl.
Speaker 11: For such a long time, she's been sick. Come on in, please, maybe there's something in here written down, or maybe mister Noak's brother would know.
Speaker 6: Brother. Where does he live?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 6: No, I don't know exactly.
Speaker 11: He's the one that's been sending missus Noak money to live on while her husband's been away.
Speaker 4: That was the beginning. We found an envelope and the brother in the girl's room.
Speaker 6: Paul Noik. He lived on Clark Street in the Lincoln Park neighborhood. I drove over. There was a man coming down the steps.
Speaker 4: As they got out of my car. I stopped him. When he got to the side, I beg your pardon. Yes, I saw you coming out of that building. You wouldn't be Paul Noak, would you whether you were. I'm from the Chicago Star. I'm trying to locate Anton Noick.
Speaker 8: Oh, I can't help you. I don't know anything about him. I'm like to work, mister Nowick. You are his brother, aren't you?
Speaker 6: Yes? But well, what's the matter? With you. I don't know anything about him. He's he's gone away someplace to work.
Speaker 4: Look, fellow, I got to find that Mauritia is very sick. Mauritia, she's in the hospital. I got to find your brother right away. I told you I don't know where he is. My brother and I, well, we don't see each other. I haven't seen him since he left, but he's written to you. He must have you been sending money to his wife.
Speaker 6: All right, it's none of your business, but I'll tell you. I had one letter from him. He asked me to do what I could for Maurita until he could send fora Where was a letter from, say where he was working someplace in Montreal.
Speaker 8: He didn't give any address, some for company like Chicago, Montreal Firs.
Speaker 4: Well, it doesn't sound like you're telling me the truth, mister Noye. But I can't say why you'd want a thing like that any conscience.
Speaker 6: I'm telling you the truth. Well, okay, but don't take it so hard. Oh my wish, My poor kid. I'll see you the first thing tomorrow. You better make it tonight. I can't. I just can't. Well, right in the middle of our tax work.
Speaker 8: Ah, Yes, yeah, well, I see your point. Only thing is that tomorrow shall be dead.
Speaker 6: It's not true. Doctors are notorious for saying things like that. I I don't believe it. Brow would you believe it if you weren't the middle of your tax work. You had no right to talk to me like that, No right at all. I'll see you tomorrow, I tell you, I'll see you tomorrow. Get out of my way.
Speaker 5: Get out of my way and and stay out of my life.
Speaker 6: Stay out of my life, or you'll recredit mister Stone. Now what was that for?
Speaker 5: NBC is presenting night Beat, starring Frank Lovejoy as Randy Stone, a.
Speaker 4: Love story with a happy ending. Yes, that's what the man said. I mean, right at the moment, if there was any happiness.
Speaker 6: In the world. Who was staying out of my sight? Almost midnight?
Speaker 4: The Mauritia and Noaka at the hospital, hanging on to life by her fingernails until I could find her husband Anton. Nothing to go on but the name Anton's brother had thrown at me, the Chicago Montreal for a company.
Speaker 6: I looked it up in the phone book. It was there, all right. I started dialing the numbers.
Speaker 4: I didn't imagine anybody being around this time of the night, But it was the only lead I had at the moment. There weren't too many moments left. All I could think about was what the doctor had said. Maybe she's got five.
Speaker 8: Hours, five hours, No, nobody's gonna last.
Speaker 11: Hello.
Speaker 4: Hello, this is a report on the Chicago Star. Look, I'm trying to locate a man who's working for your company.
Speaker 3: Nobody, I'm cleaning woman tomorrow.
Speaker 4: No no, no, no, wait, please listen. I don't have any time. This is very important. Can you tell me how I can locate the manager of your company?
Speaker 11: Gone home at five o'clock?
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, I understand that, But can you please tell me the manager's number.
Speaker 6: I've got to telephone him now, just a minute.
Speaker 4: I waited seemed like forever while she went for the number. Ella, Yeah, well you were able to find it.
Speaker 8: George Sphonson you four two.
Speaker 4: Three one one view four two three one one. Thank you, Thank you very much.
Speaker 3: I didn't give out the number only because yes.
Speaker 4: All right, I'll tell him, thank you goodbye, La for two three one one.
Speaker 6: Allow, mister Swanson.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry to trouble you, mister Swanson, but it's very important. My name is Stone, I'm a reporter on the Star. I'm trying to locate a man who works for your company and Anton.
Speaker 8: Noak, Oh, we have nowhere by that name working.
Speaker 6: What was that name? And toon Noak never.
Speaker 8: Have had in Taiping with the company, of course, we're an all firm.
Speaker 12: May have been away back.
Speaker 6: Oh no, no, no, this would have been in the last year or so.
Speaker 8: Oh.
Speaker 4: Sorry, would you have any way of knowing if he worked at your Montreal branch?
Speaker 6: We have no Montreal branch.
Speaker 4: Isn't your company the Chicago Montreal per company?
Speaker 13: Now that's right, but we haven't had a branch in Montreal for years.
Speaker 11: It used to be our headquarters.
Speaker 12: When the company first started.
Speaker 8: But we'rest tricky Chicago firm now.
Speaker 6: Oh I see, well, thank you very much. I'm sorry to trouble you.
Speaker 2: Oh not at all.
Speaker 13: Oh, if it's gonna be put in the papers, don't forget.
Speaker 11: To mention our name.
Speaker 6: No no, I want to buy mister Swanson.
Speaker 4: Something was the smell and it wasn't just the west window of the stockyards. I checked the vital statistics on deaths no Anton Noak since forty four.
Speaker 6: Check the police records ra amnesia.
Speaker 4: Cases in the Central Bonding Company files, Paul Noak was listed as a night auditor with a Great Lakes Bank reserve over on State Street. I drove around the State Street and rang the night bell of the Great Lakes Reserve. The watchman wouldn't let me in, but in a couple of minutes no Ik came out of the building alone.
Speaker 6: His face was quite as he came toward me. Why did you come here?
Speaker 4: Well, your brother doesn't work for the Chicago Montreal for Company. I thought you'd want to know.
Speaker 6: No, I don't want to know. I don't want to know anything about it. Your own brother had no right to come here, no right to you here.
Speaker 4: This is my work, for sure, But I didn't think you'd mind. After all, you've got nothing to hide.
Speaker 6: Of course I had nothing to hide.
Speaker 5: They know me here.
Speaker 6: I'm respected, I have a position of trust.
Speaker 8: You had no right to come here and make trouble for me.
Speaker 6: It's taken me years to get where I am.
Speaker 4: All right, not just take it easy. Nobody's interested in making trouble for you. But I am interested in finding Anton Noak, and whether you like it or not, that's I intend to do.
Speaker 13: And find them, find them or they stay away from me, stay away from my work.
Speaker 6: I can't help you.
Speaker 5: I oppose you that I'll stay away from me.
Speaker 6: I didn't have time to twist his arm.
Speaker 4: As the last resort, I headed across town the police headquarters, Bureau of Missing Persons and my old friend, Sergeant Adams.
Speaker 13: No, Randy know he's never been listed as a missing person. Somebody would have had to report him, his wife or a brother, or for us to have a record on him.
Speaker 6: Yes, yes, Adams, I know that, But the guy is missing.
Speaker 4: You say you check the death records, how about hospital records? There was nothing to go on and not enough time, Adams, I tell you, I got to find the fellow the night tomorrow the last Yeah.
Speaker 13: They disappearance May tenth, nineteen forty eight. Did you check the arrest records.
Speaker 2: For that date?
Speaker 6: Nothing under knowing?
Speaker 8: How about John does?
Speaker 6: John does?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 6: I never thought of that.
Speaker 13: Yeah, well, come on, I won't take much time, never can tell them.
Speaker 6: Just might be something.
Speaker 13: Usually you find something on these John doees after you had them a while, if the eye, friends, pictures or else, they just break down. Tell us where they are, of course, if they're just John Doe drunks just a matter of so bring them up right in here, Randy.
Speaker 6: I'm mac oh Adams arrest records forty eight May tenth. Okay, you better make it my eleventh to you. The guy that phoned ear there, Yes, iphoned none of those names, yeah, Mack. Yeah.
Speaker 8: We want to have a look for John doe'es yeah, yeah, Ny tenth as BC's d Day Dolton, then Dell Doe dough, John Doe drunk, John Doe drunk, John Doe drunk. Here's one John Doe armed robbery. Let me see the file on this one, Mac one nine two seven on one.
Speaker 6: Do you think there'd be any information in the file.
Speaker 13: I never can tell, Randy. Personal property slip sometimes has the information.
Speaker 6: You can use. Yeah.
Speaker 7: One John age twenty three, hair, dark eyes, brown, high five ten three quarters, no identifying scars.
Speaker 6: Well that you know that that that age is right? It could be no. Eck, what do you do? Hold up? Captured by the victim must have been known at the game. Let's look at what else you got here.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I've a look at the personal property list. Stuff he had on him and he was booked. Brown suit, white shirt, blue striped tie, no hat, white handkerchief.
Speaker 6: What is this under jewelry? One only hand ring, Indian silver and turquoise? What else? Cash? Eight sense identification? Now that's about all it all.
Speaker 8: He is a note I thus he was trying to get away one only travel full round Mexico.
Speaker 6: I'd found him.
Speaker 4: Anton Noak was John Doe, arrested for robbery May tenth, nineteen forty eight, Convicted and sentenced to joliet for two to five years, still under the name of John Doe. It was beginning to fit together.
Speaker 6: Sure.
Speaker 4: He didn't want her to know. That's why he hadn't written. That was the reason for the lie about the job in Montreal. He was afraid it would hurt her the prison record. That's why his brother wouldn't tell where. He was afraid that somehow Anton's crime would reflect on his own bank job. I jumped into my car and headed out out Dannaven' tosched Joliette over thirty miles away with the middle of the night. I had no idea what I could do when I got there. All I knew was I had to get there fast. Maybe you'd been released. Maybe I could talk to the warden and do letting him out with me. Onder guard, maybe I could put a call through to the hospital. He could at least talk to her on the phone. I didn't know. When I got to Joliet, the place was lit up like soldier's field. The guard took me inside of the ward and he was dressed. He seemed to have been expecting me.
Speaker 6: Your little lights shone.
Speaker 4: Doesn't anybody who bet around here and the rest of the boys who've been and gone? Rest of what boys? The other papers?
Speaker 6: You mean they got here ahead of me? Now?
Speaker 2: Why?
Speaker 6: Of course? The break happened a couple of hours ago, a break.
Speaker 4: I thought there was something funny about all those lights and everybody being up at this.
Speaker 6: Time of the night. Isn't that why you're here?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 6: No, I came up to see a fellow. What happened?
Speaker 12: One of the men suddenly decided he wanted out, grabbed a gun away from a garden, started blasting away.
Speaker 6: Had to shoot him to stop him. Not unorganized break.
Speaker 7: No, he was alone.
Speaker 6: I can't understand it.
Speaker 12: Model prisoner coming up for parole a month and the night he just blows up for a pill.
Speaker 4: Uh, his name wouldn't be John Doe with it one of many how did you know he might be the fellow was coming up to see Chicago number one nine seven one.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so that's a shame. He's in a hospital. Sell down the hall. I see, it's pretty bad. I'd like to see him if you don't mind on come on. Thank you. Funny about these John does did you know him? No? No, I don't. I think I know his wife.
Speaker 12: Usually something pretty decent about them, trying to protect their families. Mostly can't hardly blame them either. Oh, doctor, this is mister Stone, one of the Chicago papers. All right, if we go in talk to him for a minute, I'm afraid it won't make much difference.
Speaker 6: Warden Grehadstone, Thank you. Hello, Fellah.
Speaker 4: I don't want to bother you, but I came up here tonight looking for a fellow named Anton Noik.
Speaker 6: My name's John Doe. Yeah. This uh, this Anton Noak. I never met him, but from what I hear is quite a guy. I wouldn't know.
Speaker 4: I had it from a girl named Marisa, his wife. I believe she loved him quite a lot. By the way, that ring you were worrying, where'd you get that?
Speaker 6: I stole it? Really? Why would anyone steal a cheap little bit of silver and took hers. I hadn't like Uh huh.
Speaker 4: I saw one like that on a girl once. It was a wedding ring. The girl liked the too. This fellow Noak gave it to her. But then he got into some sort of a jam. He had to go away for a while. Didn't tell her anything about what happened. He was afraid it might have heard her would kilty no would have made her unhappy. Maybe she would have understood awful lot. She would have been glad he was squaring things up. She she loved him an awful lot.
Speaker 3: What do you want, mister, Like.
Speaker 4: I said, I was just looking for a fella, just one question for the paper. I'm sorry I have to ask you. But how did you happen to pick tonight to break out? Why didn't you wait for your release?
Speaker 6: I don't know. Something made me, something telling me she needed me doctor quick. Oh shit, flowers of the water, how beautiful in the sunlight. She's gone.
Speaker 4: Instinctively, I looked down at my watch. Two thirty five in the morning. A nice, lonely time to make your curtain call, two thirty five.
Speaker 7: I am fine.
Speaker 4: Little light had been having a really fell low. I telephoned the story into the paper and went back to the hospital. I wasn't going to be much help to Mauritia, no act, but I promised i'd come back. The doctor was in the hall working over some reports at the night desk. He looked up when I stepped out of the elevator.
Speaker 6: Hell, almost I found our ant one, right, h A little too late, though dead.
Speaker 8: Really wouldn't have any difference. She yeah, I'm making out the report now right.
Speaker 6: I wasn't so bad. Stone wasn't bad at all. She was happy. I've never seen anyone so happy. But did she have to be happy about them? Who knows.
Speaker 8: But right at the last, this wonderful smile came across her face. I guess it was delirium. She kept saying something like flowers on the water, how beautiful in the sunlight.
Speaker 6: That's what she said.
Speaker 4: That report that you're making O tell me was the time of death? Tell me, DoD please?
Speaker 6: Oh it's two thirty five am. Why two thirty five am?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 4: So here I sit, watching the dawn creeping up on Chicago, tapping out thirty My story for the night, A love story, you know, less, A very pessimistic Fellow once wrote, when two people really love each other, there can never be a happy ending.
Speaker 6: Well that could be.
Speaker 4: But then again, maybe that pessimistic Fellow used one word too many. Maybe when two people really love each other there can never be an ending. Who knows you pays your money and it takes your choice copy Boy.
Speaker 5: Nightbeat, a new dramatic series, stars Frank love Joy as Randy Stone. Nightbeat is edited by Larry Marcus and directed by Warren Lewis.
Speaker 6: Music is by Frank Worth.
Speaker 5: Others in tonight's cast were Joyce McCluskey, Vic Perrin, Jack Edwards, Jerry Hassner, Rena Craig, Larry.
Speaker 6: Dobkin, and Charles Seal.
Speaker 5: Frank love Joy will next be seen in Milton Spurling's production Rock Bottom, released by Warner Brothers. Listen next week at the same time and every week as Randy Stone searches through the city for the strange stories waiting for him in the darkness, the stories that come out of the shadows to find their way into Nightbeat. There's more great action pact entertainment for you throughout the week on NBC. Other mystery adventure programs include such popular shows as Dragnet, High Adventure and Christopher London.
Speaker 14: This is Andrew from Otirwesterns dot com. I wanted to invite you to come take a look at her site where we put on podcasts of old time radio Westerns. Check us out at Otirowesterns dot com.
Speaker 6: You're listening to the.
Speaker 14: Great Detectives of Old Time Radio with Adam Graham. Now let's get back into the show.
Speaker 1: Welcome back. Well, it's a good episode, but may sound familiar to long term listeners because it's essentially the same thing ass Flowers on the Water. My reason for playing it is that most radio lists this episode, and I even found this plot summary. Now, there are numerous things that kind of make me a dubious about it. It aired during the summer, but it referenced tax time, which would be in March and spring, and there's also a reference to spring at the start of it. This also could be a straight out and out replay of that episode. It wasn't totally unheard of it by nineteen fifty one with all of these episodes being transcribed, so again we went with the best sources available. But whether this is correct or not, who knows. They do label this episode generally Antonio's return, which is odd as there's no one named Antonio in the plot. It's anton Regardless, the story's got a definite sense of tragic, somewhat beautiful romance while still showing Brandy's will to take on the tough task in the middle of the night when there's no one else really available to do it. All right, well, that will do it for today. Join us back here tomorrow for pursuit, and then next Monday it's another episode of Not Buyed. In the meantime, send your comments to Box thirteen at Great Detectives dot net, follow us on Twitter at Radio Detectives, and become one of our friends on Facebook, Facebook dot com, Slash Radiodetectives From Boise, Idaho, This is your host, Adam Grahamson and off