Speaker 1: Now medical science offers you proof positive. Yes, medical science offers you proof positive.
Speaker 2: No other cigarette is safer to smoke, because no other gives you less nicotine, less throat irritating tars than the new, smoother, better tasting.
Speaker 3: Rawley rom Hollywood.
Speaker 1: The Raleigh Cigarette Program, starring Red Scouting. But David Forrester and his orchestra are singing starling to Alice Berna Falton, Pat McGahan.
Speaker 4: And yours truly, Rod O'Connor.
Speaker 1: It's a pleasure to bring you a metro Golden Man's popular comedian of the Star. The Rally Cigarette Program, Red.
Speaker 5: Scott, thank you very much.
Speaker 6: Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. How are things with you tonight?
Speaker 7: Ride?
Speaker 4: Oh just wonderful.
Speaker 1: Red, Sure not yourself tonight you're running around with your nose higher on the price of eggs.
Speaker 4: Did you inherit a million dollars?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 7: Nothing trivial like that. I just rented a house, g Red.
Speaker 4: Can I touch it?
Speaker 7: Yeah? Not too hard. This suit's kind of old.
Speaker 4: You know, well, where is it located, Red.
Speaker 6: It's out in the suburbs. Suburbs that's French for long bust rides. I'll tell you how you get out there. You go out to Supublic and there's a new district out there.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you go buy.
Speaker 6: You get off the bus, go buy three bad.
Speaker 8: Investments, and I'm the first goal and opportunity on the left.
Speaker 7: Was it one of those big Hollywood homes?
Speaker 3: Nah?
Speaker 4: Big?
Speaker 7: The living room so small?
Speaker 6: Every time I blink my eyes, my lashes streaked the wall. I wasn't gonna buy one of those big places that sold for fifty thousand dollars. But when I went back after giving them a deposit, they had raised the price to seventy five thousand.
Speaker 4: What did you do about it?
Speaker 7: I made them give me back my two dollars deposit.
Speaker 4: Well, it's your house built well read.
Speaker 6: Oh you should see the wallpaper. It's the latest thing from Sears and Roebuck or something new in wallpaper. Ad No, something new in catalog draw. There's one good thing about my house. I'll never have to worry about termites. I heard two of them talking as they were passing the house. One looking up and he says, shall we.
Speaker 7: Go in for lunch?
Speaker 6: The other one says, not me, I got pride?
Speaker 2: Or does the.
Speaker 4: Place have hot and cold running water?
Speaker 7: Yeah? You have to run next door for both.
Speaker 9: So you finally found a place to live.
Speaker 7: Red, Yes, I did, Anita.
Speaker 9: Well, in that.
Speaker 6: Case, may I please have my YWCA passed back?
Speaker 3: You proud of that?
Speaker 9: I'm glad you found a place, Red.
Speaker 6: I was going to get you one of those little prefabricated houses.
Speaker 10: Oh.
Speaker 6: I had one of those for a while. You know, only takes three hours to put them up. Of course, you have to put them up every three hours.
Speaker 7: Hey, they're wonderful. They don't take up much room. You know.
Speaker 6: Some of those apartments are so small that the room folds into the wall when you're.
Speaker 4: Not using it.
Speaker 9: Do you have a nice view, Red, Well, the.
Speaker 6: Back window looks right out at the neighbor's clothes line.
Speaker 7: That's no good.
Speaker 6: Well, it depends on who's washing that day.
Speaker 4: Wow, I hope you'll be happy, Red, Oh I will.
Speaker 7: You know there for a while I was living in.
Speaker 8: A trunk of a tree alone. Well I was at first, and skunk moved in with me.
Speaker 4: Well what happened?
Speaker 7: The FIA got wind of it, made him move.
Speaker 4: Well, I bet living in a tree was rather fun.
Speaker 7: Oh, it was rather pleasant.
Speaker 2: Rod.
Speaker 4: I had a meal served in bed, you know, in bed?
Speaker 6: Yeah, A friendly little squirrel used to bring me an acorn every morning. I used to make my own post every morning.
Speaker 7: Did you have a toaster?
Speaker 6: No, I used to put a piece of bread. I used to put a piece of bread between two pages of Forever Amber and it toasted. Oh, by the way, uh rod, Mister Raleigh said, I should remind you of an important message.
Speaker 4: Well, boy, yes, Red it is important.
Speaker 1: Now, medical science offers you prove positive. Yes, medical science offers you prove positive.
Speaker 2: No other leading cigarette is safer to smoke, because no other gives you less nicotine less throat irritating tars than the new, smoother, better tasting Rawleigh.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 1: Exhaustive scientific tests of America's six biggest selling brands, certified by fourteen to stay wish doctors, including eminent throats specialists, have just proved conclusively no other leading cigarette gives you less nicotine less throat irritating tars, So no other is actually safer to smoke. See if you don't agree, Rawley's are right, Rite for taste, rite for throat, Try rallys enjoy Raley's rich tobacco that milder, smoother, or more satisfying Rawleigh flavor. Remember medical science now offers you proof.
Speaker 2: Positive no other cigarette is safer to smoke because no other gives you less nicotine, less throat irritating tars than the new, smoother, better tasting Rawleigh.
Speaker 6: Thank you, gentlemen, and now our lovely Anita Ellis sings day by day.
Speaker 10: Day by day, I am falling all in love with you, and day by day my.
Speaker 7: Love seems to grow. There isn't any end through.
Speaker 9: My divorce, sho.
Speaker 10: It's deeper, dear, by far than any all I fall.
Speaker 3: Day by day.
Speaker 9: You're making all my dreams come true.
Speaker 7: So come up, man.
Speaker 9: I want you to know.
Speaker 10: I'm yours alone and I'm in law.
Speaker 3: You stay.
Speaker 7: Sweet day, but.
Speaker 3: Day you alone and not in lone.
Speaker 7: Fo stay.
Speaker 11: Sweet day.
Speaker 7: Thank you very much.
Speaker 6: Any tonight we opened the story from the Skelton scrap Book of Satire and it's entitled Meeting Strangers.
Speaker 7: Our characters are fictional.
Speaker 8: If there's any similarity to persons living, don't worry. There's a game law that protects you.
Speaker 6: Chapter eighty five of Meeting Strangers is entitled war Brides. This is the story of an ex whack wave, a debutante, and her gi husband j Newton Numbskull on their way to meet.
Speaker 7: Her folks for the first time.
Speaker 6: Oh, just think, Newton, you're my husband and I'm your wife.
Speaker 7: Yeah, this is our honeymoon.
Speaker 6: Let's forget on gruesome details. Do you remember why you asked me.
Speaker 5: To marry you?
Speaker 7: Sure you were strangling me to dad?
Speaker 6: Well, we're almost home, new I hope Peter will like you, so do I.
Speaker 7: The one I'm worried about is your father.
Speaker 8: When talking to father, and you'll never argue with him, He's got a very bad temper.
Speaker 7: Oh I never argue. Oh yes you do. Oh no I don't.
Speaker 3: Oh yes you do.
Speaker 7: Oh no I don't.
Speaker 8: Oh I never win any however I do argue.
Speaker 9: Oh, I'm so worried about mother. I do hope you like you?
Speaker 7: Well you ought to.
Speaker 6: I don't have any vices. I got a sore and a chisel, but no vice. I don't drink, I don't gamble, and I don't stay out at night.
Speaker 3: But what do you do?
Speaker 7: I'm ashamed to tell you? Come on? Are you sure you'll keep it a secret until you die and six months thereafter? I won't tell a soul.
Speaker 9: What do you do?
Speaker 7: I choose sin sin?
Speaker 6: Now you know what gives me that double make care attitude.
Speaker 7: Are coming to where I live? Pretty big hush you got here in them?
Speaker 4: Why you know it's Gwendolyn. It's good to have you home again.
Speaker 7: Thank you, Jitters Newton.
Speaker 9: This is our butler and this is my husband, Jay Newton.
Speaker 7: I'ms gone a happy little blimping.
Speaker 4: Yes, we've all seen the papers. Your mother is waiting for you in the study.
Speaker 9: Would you take care of the luggage?
Speaker 4: What is it here?
Speaker 7: It is it's a box of Kleenex and a gunny sack.
Speaker 4: Walk this way, sir.
Speaker 7: I would have bet a pair of shoes like you're wearing.
Speaker 4: And I suppose the Army was a great experience.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'll have plenty to tell my children.
Speaker 4: What are you going to tell them?
Speaker 5: Join the navy?
Speaker 4: Why you know?
Speaker 7: This is the biggest house I ever saw.
Speaker 6: It makes Texas look like a motel and on it.
Speaker 4: Oh, this isn't so big.
Speaker 6: Oh, now come the sun shining in the living room at midnight out in the kitchen.
Speaker 4: But here's your mother's study.
Speaker 9: Thank you to Gwendolin.
Speaker 3: My dear, is it true?
Speaker 9: Is it true? Our neigh is rules?
Speaker 7: You listen to a lot of them daytime serial programs.
Speaker 9: Mother, mother, this is my husband, Jay Newton. Numbskull, he looks at.
Speaker 7: You're proud that ain't here.
Speaker 9: Numbskull, numbscull.
Speaker 12: Are you any relation to the numbsculls of the Gold Coast?
Speaker 7: Yes, my father was a beach comber.
Speaker 3: There.
Speaker 9: Are you a college man?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 6: This is a suit I picked up when I got out of the army.
Speaker 5: I'm a CPA.
Speaker 7: That will help.
Speaker 9: Oh you mean certified public accountant?
Speaker 6: Oh, certified plumber's assistant. I'm pretty brilliant, though in the army. I did go to private candidate school.
Speaker 9: Please Newton try to win her over.
Speaker 6: Are you really Gwenlan's mother? You don't look in day over in thirty?
Speaker 2: Really?
Speaker 7: Yeah, you look twenty years over that.
Speaker 9: Down young man? Are you one of the four hundred.
Speaker 7: One of the fourth Kwinland? You didn't tell me you'd been married before?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 6: Do I mean?
Speaker 9: Are you part of the upper crust?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 7: No, not exactly. I would say I was more of a soggy middle.
Speaker 3: Night.
Speaker 12: I'm afraid you'll have to have this whole thing ano, what get up?
Speaker 2: Ah?
Speaker 7: You listen to me, sir.
Speaker 6: You're like a lot of people I know now that the fireworks is over, everyone was equal while it lasted. It seems to me that two people fall in love, that's their business, regardless to their position in life. You and others like you'd better wake up to the fact that we're all just people and we gotta get along as long as little decent kids want to be happy, and it's a small reward and return for what they've done. Why but I'm sorry I didn't think.
Speaker 7: All right, oh mousehut from you love new Mother?
Speaker 6: Really, once you get to know him, now you too kiss and make up? Oh ahead, and it's too soon after lunch. Okay, I'll kiss.
Speaker 9: Her my Where did you learn to kiss like that?
Speaker 6: Inhaling that last druck? Or coffee from sea rationing care?
Speaker 1: Remember, medical science offers you proof positive. Remember medical science offers you proof positive. No other leading cigarette is safer to smoke, because no other gives you less nicotine, less throat irritating tars than the new, smoother, better tasting rally.
Speaker 4: Bill Stern, famous sportscaster, says.
Speaker 8: Quote, I've seen the inside figures on the leading brands, and it's true. Medical science has proved no other cigarette gives you less nicotine less throat irritating tars.
Speaker 4: Thus no other is safer to smoke.
Speaker 8: I'm sure Rally's are right, and sure I'd rather have a rally.
Speaker 1: You're right, Filster, and Raleigh's all right. So friends, next time, try Rallies and joy Raleigh's rich tobaccos that smoother, milder, more satisfying Raleigh flavor.
Speaker 4: Remember, medical science.
Speaker 2: Now offers you proof positive no other cigarette is safer to smoke, because no other gives you less nicotine, less throat irritating tars than the new, smoother, better tasting Raleigh.
Speaker 6: Now, David Forrest and his orchestra plays one of George Gershwin's greatest hids, Embraceable you one.
Speaker 7: Thank you very much, David.
Speaker 6: Chapter eighty three of Meeting People is entitled Blitness Pays Dividends. When you're having a rich relative to come to pay a visit, you can always count on a little child in the family to fix things up for you.
Speaker 12: UNI very going to be in the next.
Speaker 6: Hi, I'm gonna be in trouble.
Speaker 9: What are you doing?
Speaker 7: I am fixing me with a no opinion here.
Speaker 12: Which I just had a fixed so you couldn't get out.
Speaker 7: I can get out.
Speaker 6: You.
Speaker 12: You look at your dirty You look like a little thing.
Speaker 6: That's what you get for keeping me in a pin all day?
Speaker 9: What are you doing in that mud puddle?
Speaker 6: Well, I was out there sailing me with a wooden boat and I was playing in the fintibo tase.
Speaker 9: Well, how did you get sweat man overboard? Did you deliberately?
Speaker 12: When you're with me, you'll find out that you're out that your truth and never got a spanking?
Speaker 6: Well me, the book is going to read a little differently.
Speaker 12: How are you going to be like George Washington and tell me the truth?
Speaker 6: Yes, ma'am, I cannot tell her lie, I deliberately jump into mud podder.
Speaker 9: That doesn't.
Speaker 6: That proves history never repeated.
Speaker 3: Why don't you I told you I was jumping.
Speaker 9: Thanked you before. I'm really.
Speaker 12: I should be, after all, I'm lucky.
Speaker 3: I'm not.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you're lucky.
Speaker 3: You've got me blessings alone?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 3: No, stop, I.
Speaker 9: I'm sorry. But what am I going to do with you?
Speaker 6: You seem to be doing all right without any She guestioned for me, stop this nonsense and getting the house? I do that?
Speaker 9: What did he get cleaned up?
Speaker 12: I just got the telegram And who do you think it's coming to visit us?
Speaker 6: The cop he's going up the river again?
Speaker 7: How good?
Speaker 6: Stop that?
Speaker 9: Policemen don't send telegrams.
Speaker 7: And who's coming?
Speaker 12: Your uncle Jim is coming and he hasn't seen you since you were three weeks old.
Speaker 9: He's anxious to see you.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 6: Do you think he's strong enough to stand the shop?
Speaker 9: Let's hope so.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, Junior, he was here when you were born.
Speaker 12: Really, in fact, he took the gun away from your father.
Speaker 6: I love me you does Grandma? What does Uncle Jim looks like her?
Speaker 12: He's the one with the beard or his pictures hanging in the back bedroom.
Speaker 6: You mean i'd picture to cover you up the big rat hole.
Speaker 12: That reminds me i'd better move it into the living room.
Speaker 7: You must have money, huh, Junior.
Speaker 9: We all love Uncle Jim.
Speaker 6: Bag for your shelf caddle. I ain't seen his will yet.
Speaker 12: When your Uncle Jim arrives, don't make fun of his beard. I want you to admire. He's very proud of you.
Speaker 6: I'll do more than that where you.
Speaker 9: Wouldn't touch his beard.
Speaker 7: You're kidding.
Speaker 6: You Just keep laughing, Kato.
Speaker 7: That's how.
Speaker 6: You've heard of Jack the jabber. I'm Junior the clipper.
Speaker 9: You kip his beard and I'll clip you.
Speaker 12: It's now gone along kick walk, okay, I will run an uncle, come on, he's coming and he is gonna do.
Speaker 6: He has to stay home.
Speaker 9: And don't slam.
Speaker 6: Don't slam what don't stand the door? That's what I thought. I work with faith. Now first I'll pushing water in me. We don't hand. Oh, I think I could stand another drop.
Speaker 5: Or tool there?
Speaker 6: What are you doing now? Would you be mad if I told you I was wiping my face on the curtain, I'd be so. I'm not gonna tell you. I'll let you finding out for your shelf. And oh, I will go somebody I can. I got company, I got company. Welcome to life can be horrible.
Speaker 7: You must be junior. Yeah, you must be disappointed.
Speaker 6: Boy, Look at that weird look at them, either him or some guy delivering the match. But I don't know where.
Speaker 9: Now you're looking.
Speaker 6: You just say that because he got money and he might die any day.
Speaker 7: Still are you?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 7: I'm worn out.
Speaker 6: You must be worn out. Somebody stuffings coming through your chin.
Speaker 13: Now, I'm so tired after that long trip. I'd like to get off my people.
Speaker 7: Well here, shut down here, thank you, Jody.
Speaker 6: Wait, I get the care stupid uncle.
Speaker 12: Hi there, I'm having troubled with sick. So he won't mind at all.
Speaker 7: Oh, it's nothing. That was the same way as a kid.
Speaker 6: Now, don't look, I don't have much look forward to. It's gonna be good from now on.
Speaker 7: Boy Berna. You just don't handle him right, do like I do with my kid.
Speaker 3: Let him do what he wants.
Speaker 6: Where has you been all me life?
Speaker 7: Hey?
Speaker 6: What you got wrapped up to her?
Speaker 7: Uncle Jim? Oh look, Junior, and I have brought you this baby gear. You mean me?
Speaker 6: Well, you're not gonna do anything I want to? He ordered no better than.
Speaker 4: That, Junior.
Speaker 13: You wouldn't shoot that gun in the house. Would You wouldn't shoot that gun in the house.
Speaker 6: You gotta be quicker with him questions just to let him do anything.
Speaker 3: He wants to.
Speaker 7: Just ignore him. He'll get over wanting to be destructive.
Speaker 6: Yah, but no, no, it's gonna Let just see.
Speaker 7: The t you know. I think I'll lie down on the dive in and taken that.
Speaker 4: I'm all tired out.
Speaker 6: I'll take Junior into the other No, no, I would stay here and watch Uncle Jim's beard show. Nothing will happen through that while he can sleep?
Speaker 13: Well, Junior, what could happen to my beard while I'm asleep?
Speaker 6: I haven't decided yet.
Speaker 9: Yourself down. I'm putting you on your honor.
Speaker 6: You're putting me on a spot.
Speaker 7: That's why you do you Let Uncle Jim get some risk.
Speaker 6: Lay down, I go out.
Speaker 4: Uh it's peaceful.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Anybody thinks I went out of that room is a stranger in town. You can't see me, but I as under the divan. That's one of themericles of radio.
Speaker 7: Boy.
Speaker 6: Look at that beard. That's you're companion boy. I could make him quick money clipping that beard off and selling it the bird to make nest with you.
Speaker 7: Up to me?
Speaker 6: Dirty one boy? What a fine hunker beer is? Old hair faced gym will soon be known as nicked face? WILLI magnium hoard and all that stuff with rugs so hard to get?
Speaker 10: Uh?
Speaker 6: Oh, I see him. This might shorten me life with little you know? And then again, why am I wasting me time thinking about it? I'm gonna do it anyhow, Oh boy, oh God, look at that, but be careful. I might fight a rabbit down here, jumping boy. I chop top top top eat, you look kind of nicked now, chop chop top top top pop top top chop up here, Oh crazyer crazy cut the other one, mack it up? Yeah, hell uncle, damn, wake up, wake up, Wake up with you.
Speaker 7: Yeah. Look, look at your beard.
Speaker 5: Look at your beard.
Speaker 7: Oh it looks nice on you. Du my beer. It was a five years broke and.
Speaker 6: I creamed to a five o'clock shadowed. And you mean, what's coming off in here?
Speaker 7: Don't you? Junior?
Speaker 9: You didn't cut his fears off?
Speaker 6: That ain't Margaret O'Brien laying there, kid out.
Speaker 9: Now you're going to get.
Speaker 7: No, no, don't punish.
Speaker 12: You know you realize he's cut off your feard.
Speaker 13: It is, but you know, after looking at myself, and I think I'm better off without it.
Speaker 5: I look and few years younger.
Speaker 7: You double across me.
Speaker 6: I usually have nice memories about a thing like that. I keep going like this, things not happen away. I want to be like Barbara Standwick when you're around yelling my cant I don't remember.
Speaker 1: We'll all be with you on average Tuesday out at the same time. Let's help the David Foster and his office Furney to Alo, Brenda Falcon, G. Pearson, Pat mcgeean and yours Toolrod O'Connor. Until next Tuesday has Red Skelp.
Speaker 6: Saying you wouldn't deliberately hurt anybody, would ye drive careful to buy down. Thanks for listening and remember listen to Hill to Guard tomorrow night.
Speaker 4: The people are funny with out linkletter Friday nut over most of these stations.
Speaker 1: Red Scalton has heard of this programs for the courtesy of Metro Golden Mayre. Sir Walter Rawleigh, that's the tobacco that leaves your pipe as clean as a whistle. Sir Walter Rawleigh is carefully blended from the finest Burley's grown, rich ripe tobaccos, and then it's mellowed with just a touch of rum to enhance the natural, full bodied flavor.
Speaker 4: And Sir Walter Rawley.
Speaker 2: Burns just right, slow, even and cool right down to the bottom of the bowl. Never leave your pipe with a soggy heel, Just a clean, dry ash and you'll get compliments on Sir Walter Rawleigh's pleasing aroma.
Speaker 4: Wherever you go. Next time, gentlemen.
Speaker 2: Get Sir Walter Rawleigh, the quality pipe tobacco of America.
Speaker 1: Red Scouting is brought to you by the Brown and Williamson Tobacco Corporation.
Speaker 2: This is NBC in the National Broadcasting Company.