Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty powered by Nova Insurance Services Insure your most Prized possessions.
Speaker 2: Good afternoon, everybody, Welcome to you. I on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera and with me today Dave Silver. Dave, how were you.
Speaker 3: I'm doing great. I'm doing great. Good to be back. Good to be back.
Speaker 4: A busy week for everybody around town, but good to be here talking basketball and yeah, golf, tournament's over.
Speaker 3: Things like that. I did not. Did you have a chance to go out there?
Speaker 2: I did Saturday and Sunday. Nice weather. On Sunday weather was okay. On Saturday, walked a lot. My feet hurt. I'm getting old.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So you know, I watched most of the coverage on on Sunday and it looked it looked great.
Speaker 3: Great, It was great.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I saw I got home before the final maybe three or four holes, so I wanted to watch on TV.
Speaker 3: It was great, It looked great, It looked good.
Speaker 4: I mean visually, you know, we all know what Tucson can look like this time of year in blue skies and the mountains.
Speaker 3: I mean, it was perfect for TV.
Speaker 4: I'm sure the Chamber of Commerce loved having Tucson all over the place for those few hours on the Golf Channel, and it was it was really good. It looked you know, it looked good. I don't know what else you can say. Yeah youah, no question. Next day, a lot of people enjoyed the day. I'm sure we'll try to catch up with people at the Comcucators later this week to talk about that. What did you think about the basketball situation? Just to catch up The brue.
Speaker 2: Ha ha was not so much about the game, but about Tommy's cumments about the fan.
Speaker 4: Yeah, talking to kind of comparing the Kansas fans to what we have here yesterday.
Speaker 2: I thought, before you start, we had a very good show with a lot of people calling in and watching their opinions of for and against Tommy's thoughts. He did talk about it today in his press conference. I'm not sure who asked the question. So we're gonna have Brian Peterson at the four fifteen hours for seventeen hour talking about that and who asked him the question about the fans and he said he just wants them to be better.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Well, you know, I mean we all kind of know what's what the crowd looks like at McHale Center.
Speaker 3: We have for years.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't think you can even compare it to some of the places where, like Kansas, crowd just goes crazy in the Dukes. I mean those are also the exceptions too. I think most crowds are not like that.
Speaker 2: Did you ever go, and you you're from that area, the northern California area, did you ever go to a Stanford game when I ever want to play?
Speaker 3: I never did. I don't think I went to believe it or not.
Speaker 4: I actually went to a Stanford ASU game almost by accident one time when I was younger, but I never went.
Speaker 2: May Those Maples fantastic, fantastic atmosphere. Stanford was rocking at the time, with Montgomery and Lout obviously facing in Stanford. It was crazy, probably the best atmosphere I'd ever been to. And then Matt Court at Oregon crazy place, crazy times with the Stotto Myers going back home and played against the Ducks, and when Orgon was pretty good. There's been other places l s U a time or two, Michigan State come time or two, So you know there are other places other than Arizona. That's that has a pretty good crowd.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, But I mean we always had the reputation in Tucson just for having big crowds. Obviously, they were the Pack ten and Pac twelve in attendance forever, So I mean we had that going for us in Tucson. But as far as crazy routiness, there would be those moments, there'd be a few games in the season, especially in the earlier years, where there would just be a huge yeah, you know, big crowd and just the intensity and just the excitement for certain teams that was away.
Speaker 2: You were there, You got here in eighty three, right before, right same week. Maybe. So at what point, what point did you see that this that he had some magic going on and the crowd believed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would guess maybe by year two we sort of saw something again.
Speaker 3: And the fans started to show up. Fans started to show up, but not full probably not no, not completely.
Speaker 4: No, I don't I'm sure we could probably look up the statistics and what the average attendance was in those early couple of years. But by the time they made the tournament, you know, all of a sudden, the bandwagon was there and people should jump on it and people are buying season tickets and you know that kind of situation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so he was right when he was out there saying, you better, Richard, you better get your tickets now because it's gonna be sold out or they have me a hard ticket again. So yeah, and that turned out to be what it was. In fact, I was with the group of my friends last night and I asked him we had a show today and I don't know if you listened to it. They said, yeah, maybe, maybe not. And I says, do you like the crowds? And they don't. They have tickets and they said, it's not like it used to be. I didn't prompt them. I didn't say anything, and it has it's not like it used to be, right, It's simply not. And you've gone to a game or two, right, Yeah? Sure, which did you go to the Big Ones game?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 4: So Duke was obviously that was that was probably the marquee. Yeah, at least early in the season.
Speaker 2: And they were and they were not as great as they should have been, but they were losing most of the game, right, so there was hard to cheer and get them go, right.
Speaker 3: And then it was great.
Speaker 4: The first maybe ten minutes of the game, and then when pretty much took control, that was that was it. But you know, I mean, there was always such a situation where you'd circle that, you know, that game, the you know, the Stanford games or U C l A for sure, uh during the regular season.
Speaker 3: And there would be a couple of you know, big non.
Speaker 4: Conference games that we would look forward to, and and the crowd you could just tell. I mean, there's enough smart basketball fans they know when to show up and when the game means more nowadays, who even knows what.
Speaker 3: That even means with the tournament, and yeah.
Speaker 4: Everybody kind of figures, well they're gonna get in.
Speaker 3: Now, let's just see how things go in the last parts of March.
Speaker 2: Right you you're you're I don't know, are you a fan?
Speaker 3: I probably ask you this before. Are you a fan?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, okay, what do you think on the level of fandom? How do you think they're going to do this weekend? And then at the beginning of.
Speaker 4: Next weekend, Well, you know, if they're gonna have to play Kansas again in Kansas City, which it you know, seems kind of likely.
Speaker 3: I don't really have super high hopes.
Speaker 4: Maybe I'm just being a fan and maybe not looking at realistically.
Speaker 3: But I don't know.
Speaker 4: Maybe it's going to be it's going to be a Kansas crowd. I would assume just being where it is, it's maybe not going to be as rowdy as it was in Lawrence. But I think we can expect it to be a tough a tough matchup for them no matter what.
Speaker 3: It's not gonna be Michale, North, Kale, Midwest. What do you think? What do you think in what terms about the game itself? Well, I think that there.
Speaker 2: Was a friend of mine who and I said this yesterday, who said that Arizona travels well, they don't travel well.
Speaker 3: They'll have a lot of people.
Speaker 2: And you you know this because you you went to the places where they had a loves right right Midwest not so much.
Speaker 3: I don't know about I don't know.
Speaker 4: I mean, I'm sure there's some I'm sure there are going to be people who are looking forward to them coming that live in Kansas City or Saint Louis.
Speaker 3: I said, don't get to see him very often.
Speaker 4: Exactly so that it's always been the case whenever the team travels to, you know, a different destination like that. You know, it's a tournament, so there's a reason and people, I'm sure there's a pretty strong I don't know. I'm assuming the u A is going to send out playing load of people, the Boosters and the traveling Park. Yeah, the Bosters are gonna probably go with ye. And here's the issue.
Speaker 3: Here's the issue.
Speaker 2: Okay, so they played this weekend, right, They're got to turn around and go to the next destination. So either they have deep pockets or they don't have deep buckises to make these back to back trips. It's the reason why I'm not in Kansas City. I'm not going to go to Kansas City for a possibility of one game or two and then and then come right back, get dressed and showered and go to the next destination wherever that is.
Speaker 3: That's the problem.
Speaker 2: And I'm I'm you.
Speaker 3: I'm in fact, I.
Speaker 2: Might have to ask you for a phone number because this Isn't your son live in Denner?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Well, I need I need a place to stay, McCall just a closet will do.
Speaker 3: It's not too far.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So you know what I'm saying. It's it's not cheap for people to go from here to there to there Vegas. You know, people just drove up and and half of them didn't go to the games. They just want to have fun with the rest of the people.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, I mean it's not certainly not going to be the same. We all know that in Kansas City, you know, in the heart of Kansas Country, it's going to be a big weekend for them.
Speaker 3: They can make a quick.
Speaker 4: Little forty mile drive over from from Lawrence. So yeah, and I mean it's basically the Big Twelve is very Midwestern. The Iowa State crowd apparently is going to be large.
Speaker 3: They were here, they were large here, they brought some people.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so it's going to be it'll be you know, I don't know how if you of a fans are really even care that much. I mean they do, but if they can get by Kansas, I suppose they'll.
Speaker 3: Care a little bit more.
Speaker 4: But I'm sure everyone's kind of like, really, we got to play these guys again, like less than a week later.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that kind of was the probably the thought of it, right, they got to beat somebody first, though, I think they have to beat who's the team coming to beat someone? Though? I thought they were on the bottom end of it. You have the bracket.
Speaker 3: I don't have the I don't have it in front.
Speaker 2: Of I thought we said that yesterday that there are a three right and the four is uh, who's the four?
Speaker 3: I can't remember.
Speaker 2: So that the four plays Kansas, I think, and then the next game would be Kansas. You'd have to get the bracket for me because I think the Cannis it might be b Yu. I mean by beuh right by us four. But who's going to play into the Arizona game. That's that's what I'm saying. It might be Kansas.
Speaker 4: The second round Kansas versus the winner of game four, which is today utah U c F will play Kansas tomorrow right right right where if that plays Arizona the winner of.
Speaker 2: The right of course, Yeah, so but who does Arizona play the winner of that game?
Speaker 3: The winner that bracket?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, oh do they Yeah, so they didn't get it. They're gonna they're gonna buy it. Not a double buy that Arizona has a double buy?
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, no, no, but Kansas.
Speaker 4: Kansas does not. Who's come first? No, no, no, no, no, I'm just joking.
Speaker 3: Four seed is b Yu.
Speaker 4: So they're playing the winner of the Iowa State somebody game, Oh Iowa, it will be Iowa State and Cincinnati. Say that again, did Cincinnati win earlier? I think they're playing now they played the first game.
Speaker 3: Well here he is. Yeah, since I beat Oklahoma State. Yeah, that's how it's going to play. Okay, so I'm just trying to get.
Speaker 4: Arizona, Arizona will play, will play Thursday late last.
Speaker 2: Game, And you're right, because I'm looking at the back of before.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so they're at the bottom of the their the last game, right six thirty whatever it was going to be and Kansas again, and then they would.
Speaker 3: They get here there. I thought they were flopped, but they're not there the late day.
Speaker 4: They'd be the late game on Friday as well, which would be six thirty two, so on time, and then the championship is on Saturday.
Speaker 2: At I did say this, I said before they played on Saturday that if Arizona lost on Saturday, I think I think they'd win on this Friday against or yeah, this Thursday against Kansas. Because it's hard to be the team twice in a year. Specific the Arizona Arizona's kind of you know, just Timmy doesn't lose two in a row very often, if at all, UH and playing the same team twice back to back, that you know how to solve or try to solve the issues that that you're going to run up against.
Speaker 3: So we'll see, we'll see. It's it's it's tough.
Speaker 4: Because you know, again, all these teams have played each other and you just kind of never really know how things are gonna play it on neutral courts. You've got that that factor in as well. Did you does Texas Tech bring fans? Are their number two cere? They going to bring other people up to Kansas City?
Speaker 3: Who knows?
Speaker 4: Maybe there's good enough. Let me, Texas schools are one too. Did you follow the SEC at all?
Speaker 3: I mean a little bit, just that they're good.
Speaker 2: You're really good, and they say that the best conference ever and they some people last that I was I couldn't sleep. So I was watching the CBS college basketball team and they said that if you saw three or four SEC teams in the final four, that wouldn't be surprised and that would be a heck of a final four. Right, what if you saw something? What if you saw some big twelve teams in that uh four? I wouldn't be surprised if Houston's in there. I wouldn't be surprised if Kansas cut fire. They were the preseason number one. Yeah, so you know, Kansas Baylor not so much. If Arizona cut fire, I'm not sure that'll happen, but you never know.
Speaker 3: There's I mean, yeah, Baylor has been hot and cold. What are they there? I was State. Look at Ia State.
Speaker 4: I mean they're still the seventh seed. I mean, they gotta win a cup. They gotta win.
Speaker 3: Like you know, I was State. It's a tough, tough team.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: People were just a month ago saying that they have the chance to get to the final four to two.
Speaker 2: So, you know, it could be. I haven't really paid attention to Big twelve. I know Michigan State did a number on Michigan over the weekend. UH and there's some other other schools as well, But it could be a Big twelve sec situation in UH at the final four in San Antonio.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: It's gonna be interesting to see how Houston kind of maneuvers their way through the tournament.
Speaker 6: Two.
Speaker 4: Since they've kind of been, you know, kind of one of the favorites, they obviously win the Big twelve. Yeah, they're gonna be probably no worse than what a two seed in this thing. So it's gonna be kind of fun to see how the last year some of those Big twelve teams day Last year, I picked them all.
Speaker 2: I thought they were really good last year, and then their bad guy, their guard got hurt, right, and then they were toasted. Their issue is they can't score. And if you can't score against Bama or Auburn or whatever, it's gonna be tough. But they also don't let people score.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, they're obviously a great defensive team. The Wildcats ran and some of that when they play them here.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I mean, I just it's usually the tournament's pretty tight defensively. You know, there's not gonna be too many blowout games. You start getting scores in the seventies or so, things, they're gonna be tight.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm gonna let you introduce our first caller or not caller, but our guests here on the other side, And they were gonna have Brian Peterson at the four seventeen, who was coming on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're gonna bring in Marin Fader, who is gonna be in Tucson for the Tucson Festival of Books. She's an author and a writer sports writer from The Ringer, and she has got a new book out about Hakim Olajuan actually came out late last year. So she's going to be joining us here in a few minutes from LA and she'll be on her way to Tucson and we'll talk more about that and talk more about her book.
Speaker 2: Super Okay, So we'll take a break and come right back.
Speaker 7: Are you ready ready to discover your soul, your wild side, your passion, your joy and excitement. From the latest slots and table games, to award winning dining, to world class entertainment to a luxurious resort.
Speaker 6: Discover all this and more.
Speaker 7: Discover with Soul Casino Dell Soul, the Soul of Tucson.
Speaker 3: Are you ready enterprise so Fasco YUCKI trye.
Speaker 8: The window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Browsey aisles of instock cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations and instantly elevate your space. Today, visit a showroom and let our experts guide you whether you're choosing for ready to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perfect wood, type, color, and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your luck. Find a location near you at the window deepot dot com. The window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorato Rock Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work. I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Kip, we'll call at five two zero four zero zero for two three three.
Speaker 3: Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 6: Arizona Health Arizona Health, Arizona Health.
Speaker 9: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health. Our goal is to help you choose the equipment need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve Arizona Health from.
Speaker 3: Leading edge and exercise equipment. On twenty second, just quest of will not at Nova home Loans.
Speaker 10: We believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltpeteam dot com. That's Volpe team dot com or call five two oh six eight five six two six today n MLS three oh eight seven Arizona BKO Ninez two nine four two Equal Housing Opportunity. Got to commitment to lyndrixon credit rates and available loan programs of subject to change with don't notice.
Speaker 11: Let's start twenty twenty five off with a bang by honoring those who did a bang up job for you in twenty twenty four. Recognize your employees, salespeople, managers and agents. With the Creative Award from Creative Awards. It's time to restock your promotional products and convention giveaway items, and Creative Awards has over five hundred thousand products to choose from. Don't forget your corporate apparel for a great sharp look in twenty twenty five, visit the Creative Awards Idea Center at two twenty eight West Drackman or visit them online at Creative Awards az dot com.
Speaker 12: Did you know collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking at chart or expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination. As one of the leading card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best in sports cards.
Speaker 3: And trading card games.
Speaker 12: From rare fines to the latest releases, Showtime Cards has it all. Check them out at Showtimecards dot com or visit them on East Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere truy Showtime Cards for their passion.
Speaker 11: Richard Bacall Law Office defending Arizonas for over thirty years and a Wildcat fan for over sixty. If you need an experienced criminal defense attorney, call Richard Bacall five two oh seven to four to Roh twelve thirteen brought sponsor of I on the ball, Go cat.
Speaker 6: Got bugs, termites, bees, or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist that's can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termites, bees, or rodents. Serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azpest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 3: Why is mining so important?
Speaker 5: It's the foundation of everything that defines a society.
Speaker 3: Everything you see is a product of mine, no matter when, no matter how, no matter why.
Speaker 5: Every society on this planet has developed, rome and modernized based solely on the minerals eph The process that's wilining is so important.
Speaker 3: Go to vyvm dot com.
Speaker 8: The Window Depot wants to help bring your dream kitchen to life. As a family owned and operated business, we pride ourselves on offering the best prices, the biggest inventory, and exceptional customer service you won't find at the big box stores. From premium cabinets to stunning courts and granite countertops, faucets, hardware, and sinks, our designers are here to guide homeowners every step of the way, all under one roof. Find a location near you, or shop online at the window deepot dot com. The Window Depot more than a Windows store.
Speaker 1: This is Ie on the Ball with Steve Ravera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 3: Subscribe now to the.
Speaker 1: Podcast on the iHeartRadio app just search I on the Ball.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to One of the Ball. Here all Fox Sports fourteen fifty. Ox stiver g through Dave Shilbert. We're trying to get hold of them. We're in and to see what's going on. Why don't you give it for the number? His number came in through? Uh so just make sure if five two o four one six seven four four zero. No, let's try her one more time. Uh what's the last? Just give me? Did you what for her her? No? I already got the first three.
Speaker 3: Three, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Hold on to have her call us or get the.
Speaker 3: Sorry guys.
Speaker 2: Sorrybody, we're trying to get her on the on the show. She had a hard time getting through, like we had some issues last week and now we're trying to get all over her and it.
Speaker 3: Was busy, so we'll see. Uh.
Speaker 2: Dave's well, he's switching the the number again. She's the author of a few books. Her latest is on Hakeem Olajauan. I guess it came out earlier this year, so it should be fun. We're gonna have a few of the authors out here in the next few days.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're lucky.
Speaker 4: We've got a number of sports books coming to two soun sports authors who've got some new books that have come out in the last year or so. So she's one of the authors we're looking forward to hearing from and seeing.
Speaker 3: She's written a couple of great books already. This is really her second book.
Speaker 4: She wrote a book about Giannis, the star for the Milwaukee Bucks, and she's a regular reporter for the Ringers, so she covers all kinds of sports, including basketball. So very timely that she's coming to Arizona this time of year where hoops seems to be the number one story no matter what.
Speaker 2: It's a variety of books. Right, it's a number of different type of books. Still not coming through. Ope, I wonder what's going on. Beatballs Meatball's phone came through, not hers five two O.
Speaker 4: I'm quite sure when we've had some you know, some problems connect to pass some of the callers or something with some of the some of the guests. So apologies for that, but hopefully we can get that worked out here sometimes.
Speaker 3: Yes, we'll get We'll see what happens.
Speaker 2: Okay, how many books sports books do you have in town?
Speaker 3: Do you think, Dave? We have about ten? Hello, you're on the air.
Speaker 2: Nine the ball?
Speaker 3: Is this marine?
Speaker 2: Hello, you're on the air and I on the ball?
Speaker 3: Is this marine?
Speaker 13: Yes?
Speaker 2: Hi, Hi, thanks for being uh patient with us.
Speaker 3: Good to hear from you.
Speaker 13: Yeah, of course, thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: I'm curious and Dave sent me a bio and congratulations on all your success with the book.
Speaker 3: How many have you written in total? Oh?
Speaker 13: Thank you?
Speaker 12: Two?
Speaker 6: Two?
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, when did you do the first one?
Speaker 13: The first one was in twenty twenty one, which I also was at the festival and.
Speaker 4: You came to the festival. This is this is Dave here on the other end here. Thanks Thanks again for your patience with all this.
Speaker 3: What was it? What was it like when you're here the first time?
Speaker 4: I know this is it's fun that you get to come back and I know we're looking forward to seeing you.
Speaker 13: Oh my gosh, I'm so excited to be back.
Speaker 5: It's so fun.
Speaker 13: Me as like just a literary fan. I was like trying to go to everyone else's talk because there was just so many amazing authors there and like I grew up going to the La Times Festival books over here in Los Angeles, but the Tucson one is like even bigger. I mean, it's just really.
Speaker 3: Really fun, nice, nice.
Speaker 2: What what gave you the idea to write the first one? And how was acxis? Must have been easy, I mean the axis, not the writing.
Speaker 13: Yeah, yeah, I was gonna.
Speaker 2: Say nothing's easy about it.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 13: The first book on Yannis, I actually when I was working at Bleacher Report Bag, which is where I worked before my current position at The Ringer, I was doing a story on Yannis's forest brother, Alex. He was in high school at the time, and I just happened to go to their house and Yannis happened to be there. I didn't think he was going to be there, and so that story came out, and you know, it was very It was just received very well and it was a very emotional story, and I just thought this would make a great book. And so access was difficult because I got the book deal literally right before the pandemic, so I couldn't go to Greef and do a number of things that I wanted to for it. But it definitely it made me a better reporter, I think, and.
Speaker 3: He was accommodating. I assume he was accommodating.
Speaker 13: He didn't want to be interviewed again after the articles I was able to interview, Yeah, but I was able to interview his brother, others, his mom. So I have a lot of other interviews in the book, which was very helpful.
Speaker 4: When did you decide to write something about Akim Olaje One?
Speaker 13: Yeah, So I was finishing the Yannest book and I was trying to figure out what to do next, and you know, I just kept thinking about how they honest book was very much not just a biography of him in his life, but rather a story about the landscape of international players and how this new school of players like Yiannis are really dominating and many of them come from Africa, and I wanted to sort of see if I could write about you know, who said the stage for all of these players like Yannis Joel Embiid, who set the stage. And I was like, oh, I cam Alaje one. You know, why has there nothing been done on him? Just felt like he was the most underrated superstar. And you couple that with all the human interest, you know, fascinating parts of his life, from you know, religion to family. I just thought he would be the perfect subject.
Speaker 2: It's funny, Becau because I'm guessing now I could be wrong, but he was probably playing in Houston before you were even born.
Speaker 11: So he one.
Speaker 13: I was born in ninety one. Yeah, yeah, yeah, title, Yeah, when I was two years old. Yeah, so that was a challenge. You know, Yannas is of my era, Hakeem is not. But that's what made it so fun. It felt like I was like a basketball historian going back in time and reading the archives and watching game film. I mean, it's just such an awesome era of basketball. I wish I could have been there to see it myself.
Speaker 3: We should mention quickly.
Speaker 4: The name of the book is Dream The Life and Legacy of Hakim Olajuan and it came out late last year, and it's going to be great to hear you talk about it here in Tucson in front of a lot of basketball fans. I'm sure you know we've got quite a basketball story here just at the university.
Speaker 3: When is that going to happen? When's that gonna happens here this weekend?
Speaker 4: But once she have a time, since you're gonna be involved in three different sessions, I guess right, So it'll be busy when you get when you get to town, that's going to be fun. So maybe a little bit more, a little bit more about Hakeem. You know, Steve and I are of the generation where we did watch him play at Houston in college college I was talking about Islam.
Speaker 3: It was he was. He part of the slim and jam and all that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then you know going on to you know, be drafted in the Michael Jordan draft with Barkley and stuff like that. I mean he came in and such such a flurry of stars were part of that that generation.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I mean it was the draft to change at all. Right, no more, when you.
Speaker 2: When you when you had this epiphany to find the originator or him, did you say, Okay, Now I got to find him. Now I got to make sure he could do it. Maybe he wants to do it, doesn't want to do it.
Speaker 13: That's definitely the first step. Although, as you know, you don't have to have full access or consent to write a book on a public figure. So while I definitely got very close and ended up meeting him in the home of one of his friends, and he couldn't have been nicer. He gave me numbers for people to contact, for people that are close to him, but because of his religion and a lot of the things that I detail in the book, he himself and just the kind of humble nature the person he is, the humility which is of course influenced by Islam. He himself said, you know, I don't want to participate, but you know, every time I'd call a friend, they would call him and he'd be like, yes, it's okay, I know she's working on it. And like I said, he gave me those numbers. I spent time at his mosque, so he ended up being really helpful.
Speaker 2: Wow, it's how difficult, you know, have you written a few of them, a few books? And how difficult is it? To not have the subject of the book really being the main character.
Speaker 13: You know, it's kind of the norm in biographies, especially because most biographies are written about people who are no longer with us. But you know, we do live in an anti media climate where the only you know, celebrity memoirs are very puffy, go certain kind of collaborative things. So I actually I think it's I don't I don't want to say it's easy. It's definitely not. It's very hard for the reasons you outline, But it also just gives you an independence and a freedom.
Speaker 14: You know, you're not.
Speaker 13: Beholden to anything. This is real journalism. This isn't influenced by what a celebrity wants in there or not. You know, you're getting the most unbiased version of the story. And the other difference is I'm interviewing over two hundred people for it, So I interviewed two hundred and sixty people for this book. So you're getting the true story from all the people around the subject, and that creates such a rich, more layered story.
Speaker 4: Have you had a chance to even appear with him, like publicly or anything when you're when the book first came out or no, with that too.
Speaker 13: Well, we did an event at his mosque, but he obviously didn't participate. It was funny. All his friends are like, you gotta come, you got to come. But you know, just the fact that that he allowed that to happen was really special.
Speaker 2: So so let me give you an example that and that's tough. Again, I'm thinking this is gonna be tough, especially to sell the books if you have to, you know, get the books, purchase the books on whatever you do. And then he doesn't show up and they come to sign you sign the book. So Ludelsen, who you probably know, I did a few things. My last book was on him, and he's passed since, right, So the people who wanted the book didn't want to, didn't care about me. They came to the guy his signature and you know, meet him and take a picture. So I understand how it is not having that guy. So how was it not having your guy?
Speaker 13: I mean it, I don't. I mean it was fine. I I yeah, I went on a multi city book tour. It was really fun and we went to so many different cities and you know, people really loving the book. So yeah, I'm super happy with it.
Speaker 4: Very nice when you when you think of him in history too, I mean he like again he was, he's mixed in there with some great great players. Where do you think he stands, you know overall kind of amongst the you know, the centers saying the last I don't know, fifty years ish when you know he was really in his heyday and you know that that and that position too has changed quite a bit too that I don't know how many other great centers we're going to have in the next the next generation.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I mean he's for sure top five, no question. But part of the reason why I wrote this book is because I felt like he was being left out of those conversations. When you talk about the all time centers. You never hear his name. And part of that is because he's not on t and he with a lot of his contemporaries. He's not a coach, he's not on social media, and so you know, unfortunately, in our like you know, very player driven media ecosystem, somebody like Hakeem, who preferred to let his play speak for itself and be such a dominant force is kind of like not mentioned. And so, you know, my hope with this book is that people realize you know, he's somebody that gave every center their best game. You take, it's very rare to find a player like him who wasn't just offense, wasn't just defense. He was both of them. He gave it to Kareem and Shaq and David Robinson, all these people in different generations. A Keim was the one that everyone everyone knew they had to bring their best for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no question. Did you go in after you did it and completed it and maybe did some interviews? Uh, did you grow more appreciative of him or his accomplishments before you know, when you're.
Speaker 3: Done done with this?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 13: I mean, oh my god, I have so much respect for him. You know I had it before, but I think you know, when you talk about when you talk to people that you know, pray alongside him, that various Moss in Houston, and talk to people that have just so been impacted by him emotionally, spiritually, it's just a different level of respect. And part of what the book really talks about is his impact on other people and how he never wants any credit for it, and the stuff I learned about what he gave to other people without ever announcing it, without ever wanting any credit. I thought was still moving and just such an example for all of us that just you know, do the work, don't seek the credit.
Speaker 3: What are you working on now? Anything new book wise?
Speaker 13: Yes, I'm starting my third book, but I can't say what it is, but I'm super excited.
Speaker 2: Don't worry, no one listens to us. Go ahead and we won't tell Anyboddy.
Speaker 3: What are you? What are you doing with?
Speaker 4: What are you doing day to day with the with the ringer though, I mean we see your stories posted all the time.
Speaker 3: Do you have a specific beat or how does that working out?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 13: I usually refer to myself as the weirdo without a beat. I look for what's interesting, what's compelling, what is going to move somebody beyond stats? So I focus on all sports, but I would say primarily basketball and football, but you know, I've done track stories there and soccer stories there. Somebody recently recently asked me to do a curling story. So I'm just honestly after what's interesting.
Speaker 2: It's funny you're not too far removed from college, maybe ten years i'm assuming now if you're born in ninety one. But you know, in journalism now, I think more journalists need to have that passion that you have. You're trying to find the story, your storyteller, more than anything, right, You're trying to find the quirky or the weird and the story that compels or inspires, right, right.
Speaker 13: I think you know, more than anything, finding the story is the hardest pass right, Like reporting is hard and writing is hard, and we know that, but finding the story, finding the angle that's different from everybody else is really the hardest part. You know, the Ringer is only on the Internet, and the Internet is a very crowded space, and people are commenting daily, every hour, every second about these players. So your job is to give them something that they don't find elsewhere. Your job is to get to the heart and soul of a person's journey. And so you know, I just I feel so grateful to do that work and talk with such interesting athletes.
Speaker 2: They've an I deal with this, or Dave not so much now because he's kind of out of the business and I'm still almost out of the business. But now it's it's all sanitized because you have players who are moved to the podium and the coaches up there and they that's all the access you get to with them, and then they sue your bof the thing. Right, so everybody has the same material. I mean you're going, you're trying to go to the extra yard because.
Speaker 3: You have to, right right.
Speaker 13: I mean it goes back to our conversation earlier about access. We don't live in a climate where journalists are you know, respected and given time and so you know, for me, I want nothing to do with press conferences. I'm not going to get anything there. I need to get one on one with the player outside of it.
Speaker 4: Are you also doing podcasts at all with the Rant because they've got some amazing podcasts.
Speaker 3: I listen to them all the time.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 13: Currently I don't have a podcast there, but occasionally they'll have me on when I have a story, okay, sort.
Speaker 4: Of the Bill Simmons Network. It's pretty pretty strong, pretty fun.
Speaker 13: Yeah, so yeah, I work there.
Speaker 2: So do you know they brought this up for Saturday? So you have three three similars? Do you go?
Speaker 3: I can list them if you want.
Speaker 4: I'll just do it because I have them right in front of me. But you're going to be appearing at the u of A on Saturday at one point fifteen at the Stacks Book Club, which will be a booth that's going to be just outside the student union.
Speaker 3: That's going to be a quick one.
Speaker 4: And then you continue on Saturday in the Internet excuse me, Integrated Learning Center, which when you if you remember, I don't know if you were there last time, but it's down below underneath the mall kind of thing classroom with Melissa Ludkey and Howard Megdal, And then you come back on Sunday, also back in the ILC with Jack McCallum, a great basketball writer, and Lewis Moore, who has written book I believe about the African American quarterbacks. He's a professor in Detroit who he got to come to the festival this year. So you're going to be busy.
Speaker 13: Yeah, No, those are all great people.
Speaker 2: I'm super excited, very nice, very nice. And you think you said you've been here before. What school did, what colleges did you go to? And you did you always want to be a writer?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 13: So I started out at Lewis and Clark College in Oregon. I played basketball there and then I transferred after my first year to Occidental College and that's where I graduated in twenty thirteen. So I definitely didn't want to be a writer.
Speaker 3: I had no idea.
Speaker 13: I wanted to be a WNBA player, and you know, I pushed it as far as I could go, and you know, went through a lot with that. But you know it was when I transferred that I really decided. You know, hey, I think sports journalism could be a great way for me to stay in basketball and pursue this new passion I have, which is writing and reading.
Speaker 2: Very nice, and you become a better writer by reading, right right.
Speaker 13: Yeah, if I could just read books all.
Speaker 4: Day would be.
Speaker 3: Good for you.
Speaker 2: You'll have a great time, and obviously you've been here before, and you'll meet some other great writers.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much, thank you, thanks for joining us so much. Good luck to you. You'll sell a lot of books. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Thanks.
Speaker 2: Mary Vader.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's that's that's awesome that she uh, she's coming back, and she was definitely a crowd favorite when she was here a couple of years ago. I think people are going to enjoy, you know, hearing from her and looking at her books and people we got tons of sports fans and basketball is right right in her wheel had and she's fairly young. She's like thirty three, thirty four. She's very young, just getting started.
Speaker 3: But you know what, they're not young anymore.
Speaker 2: That's not young because she's already in a second book, good Subjects. My whole thing is maybe I was spoiled because I had Loot to talk to you, right, yeah, and him to come with me for the Who's that he's the author.
Speaker 3: I don't want him.
Speaker 2: I want to cheer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, it's kind of you know, and she was hedging on her her next books, so you know, maybe it'll be another basketball book.
Speaker 3: Maybe it'll be an ever another player from Africa. Let's take a break, dame.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna ask you a weird question, but you may be already used to those weird questions.
Speaker 3: Thanks everybody.
Speaker 2: If you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: Take a look back at the Ludolsen era in my new book, Lessons from Loot. It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches, and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from Lout is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. Want one, email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 15: Hey Wildcat Nation, Jake Fisher here, I gotta tell you about my winning team over at Arizona Health Insiders. I was able to get a custom private health insurance plan with no deductibles, no co pays, nationwide coverage, and I get to pick my own doctor for a lesson two hundred dollar a month. If you want to avoid getting gouged on the Exchange and you want real health insurance called Arizona Health Insiders four AH three five five one four four four four AH three five five one four four four.
Speaker 3: What's your goal? A new career or career advancement?
Speaker 11: How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from in financial laid available, it's time to earn the degree or certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at Pima dot edu slash someday, Hey.
Speaker 2: Tuson, Steve rivera heir, and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmond Marcus All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, they've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to say call them today and score big on your insurance. With the Edmund Marcus All State Agency, You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen North Campbell or call them at five two zero.
Speaker 3: Three two three nine three three three. Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 6: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 9: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health, the.
Speaker 3: Leading edge and exercise equipment on twenty second, just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 14: At Pyramid Federal Credit Union. We believe less is more. Let's peas mean more money in your pocket, less hassle means more time for what matters, and less stress means more confidence in your financial future. Pyramids Less is More philosophy. He is coming to your neighborhood with a new branch opening at the two sund spectrum Verymit Federal Card at Union where less is more generally insured and by NCUA an equal opportunity lender.
Speaker 1: Breaking down all the I says and ohs. This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Box sportsporteen fifty eight.
Speaker 2: Ray, welcome back to my on the ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty I'm Steve Rivera, Dave Silver, Thanks for getting Aaron. She was fun, yep, smart obviously. So if you had a chance to write a book, Dave, will you write it?
Speaker 3: Oh gosh, I don't know.
Speaker 4: It's interesting that she's picking especially Hakeem who really has not really been on the spotlight right but in a number of years and he retired I think two thousand and two.
Speaker 3: You know he's been gone for twenty over twenty years. Miss, is he still in Houston? She didn't say no, she said, I think I think he is probably, Yeah, I mean that team was. I remember seeing him.
Speaker 4: Play in Phoenix a few times in that run where they won championships. When Jordan retired, you know or whatever, stepped away for a couple of years and they won two right, Yeah, and they had that memorable game at whatever US Airways Arena what it was called where they beat the Sons and knocked him out and had Kenny Smith on that team.
Speaker 3: And you're talking him mid eighties to no, this is the nineties.
Speaker 2: There was they had to run in the eighties too, where Drexler and yeah in that group Ember because I can't remember who they were the best team in the West. Who were they playing, not Boston maybe Boston when I was a kid, nineteen eighty five, eighties time they did.
Speaker 4: When they had Ralph Sampson. Yeah, then that had the Twin Towers with him and a team for a bit and that didn't last too long.
Speaker 2: But no, no, but you're right when they when when Jordan, when Jordan retired, they had that window of opportunity.
Speaker 4: Exactly, and he you know, he did quite well that he was obviously, like she said, you know, he's probably a top five center of all time when you look at his number and championships, and he's in the Hall of Fame of course, right, So it'll be fun to you know, kind of be here a person.
Speaker 2: And yeah, are you going to you're what's your part? Tell people what your part is.
Speaker 4: I've been part of It's called the Book an Author Committee. So our job was to basically get the people to come, get the authors to show up and come. And we looked at many, many authors from around the world who have decided to come here, and they're all divvied up into different sections and different genres of books, and so how many put together?
Speaker 3: I'm put together in panels.
Speaker 4: So, like I mentioned, she's going to be in a panel with a couple other authors, and she's also going to have one moment or a half hour or so where she's going to sign it all by herself.
Speaker 3: So they do the panels.
Speaker 4: The panels last about fifty five minutes. Then they come out of their panels and then they sign sign books.
Speaker 2: How many of how many people were like you doing that? Trying to arrange.
Speaker 3: We had about I want to say, around seventy five. Really it's a big group. Is it all local or no?
Speaker 4: Yeah, pretty much. The people volunteer pretty much are local. I suppose we could have done that job kind of remotely because you're you're really reaching out to authors and to publicists, and.
Speaker 3: Why would they I mean, I'm just hypothetical. Who would. Maybe they didn't, but.
Speaker 4: Very few did turn you down. Honestly, they want to they want to go. I mean it's a chance, you know, it's an expense to whom, to the authors in cases it's there. Yeah, I mean the Book Festival does a really good job of helping some of the authors come, you know, for financial things with you know, hotels and transportation and things like that for some of the authors, but not all of them. And many come pay their own pay their own way. Well, if they sell a bunch of books, it pays pays the way. There's not too many of these festivals. I mean, there's there's some and she mentioned, you know, Marin mentioned the Los Angeles one, which is really the other big one in the West. I think Tucson has got a reputation if you look at some of the you know, last stories written about it. Continace Traveler wrote about them, ranking them like one of the top ten in the world type book festivals.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's a big deal.
Speaker 4: C Span comes and televises you know, throughout the weekend and they tape theirs some of the say some of the panelists and put them on their website so you can come, you know, you can go sit there on Saturday and not even go to the Sea Span ones.
Speaker 3: And watch them, you know, next week.
Speaker 2: So are you done?
Speaker 3: Are you done?
Speaker 4: Are you still or done getting getting the authors? And you said, I think Jay's going to be doing something.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So there's moderators and many most of them are local people that you know, you know, we know like a Jay Gonzalez and Elliott Glixman and some of my friends that I know. I'm in a group of people and we know a bunch of them that are going to be moderators, and it's going to be it'll be fun for them to you know, go off and talk about things that they know about. If you're an attorney or if you're into entertainment, or you're into the environment or medicine, things like that. I mean, there's so many things to choose from. The Daily Star does a great job of promoting it, along with the University of Arizona, which of course is where it's held, and TMC is a big sponsort.
Speaker 3: It's free, free. Yeah, I've been to last three. Yeah, I've been to a bunch. I mean it's free. It's it's really fun. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Did did the I want to ask, is I think you can say it publicly? Did my situation that.
Speaker 3: You told me? I don't know. I honestly don't know. It may still be.
Speaker 4: Paid for this sun No, it could be for this Sunday. No, truly, Yeah, I think I don't know. I don't know, Okay, I know that the years in a Daily Start put out a big special section in there this past Sunday, which is always good.
Speaker 2: Go through it.
Speaker 3: I looked at it online. Yeah, it's good. Okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess they're part of the availab. They're going to be available at the event.
Speaker 4: Exactly when you get there. Definitely when you get there pick up that also. Of course, there's an app if you're into that to some festival of books. App is fantastic. It's got maps and it's got all the schedules like the things I was just reading off about Marin's schedule is all on those apps.
Speaker 2: And it's funny, say, if you're into that, us old dudes are not into that. You need the paper where you go, Gertrude, we got to take a left right twenty three exactly.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's usually how I approach it.
Speaker 4: I usually kind of take a little list with me when I go, like I want to do ten o'clock in this room.
Speaker 2: And every year I go, it switches up and I've been to one, I've sold a book or two. One of the ends with Bob Elliott when he came out with his book, and she's been She's here for two days, right, so they're here multiple days, not just one day.
Speaker 1: Gone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it depends.
Speaker 4: She's one of the one of those who will be signing and talking three three different times.
Speaker 3: So two days some don't. I mean it's some it's their call.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: They'll tell you I don't want to do two, or I want to do three. No more than three is generally as much as they'll go.
Speaker 3: So who's the book? It begins at ten ten am on Saturday and runs like through fives free free both days. Plenty of walking, you can walk meet people.
Speaker 2: Watch.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a lot of a lot of that. I mean, you got you know, Maureen Dowd from the New York Times is going to be here. She's going to have a session with our friend David fitz Simmons, who you know, we all know is the editorial cartoonist to the Star for years, who he's going to be there. And Governor Gretchen Whittmer is coming in from Michigan. She's she's got a book out, she'll be there. Scott Tureau who wrote Presumed Innocent. That he's a you know, attorney who's written tons of you know, law books, novels.
Speaker 3: He's going to come cool, cool, cool, cool. So who would you write your book on if you have to.
Speaker 4: I still am thinking about that. Your time, like a biography on somebody. Yeah, if you have a ches, you get to meet the person. You may not you may not want to quote. He might not be like the king you can't talk to.
Speaker 3: She wrote, like a biography on him without he had no assistance for.
Speaker 2: That's well, assistance yeah, but not his voice. Yeah yeah, not his voice. I know I would have a heart time. But she's right, you know, my last book with Loot was nothing participated. It was everybody else's thoughts on Yeah. Yeah, so I guess, yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I've never really thought about writing a book about anybody. No, but you let me go back then.
Speaker 2: So your stories that you've done when you were in the in the TV business, Ye, your stories were shorter, shorter form than longer form.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: Who was one of your better longer form stories, you know if that makes any sense, because you had to do specials.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: So one thing that I've always been fascinated by is kind of the history of Tucson sports, just in terms of, like I don't know how far I go back, but say maybe the early nineteen hundreds and just kind of start tracing how things were going. It is interesting high schools were really the only thing we had, I guess maybe dirt, dirt, playing fields, shields. Yeah, and then you look at well it's Tucson Highs. You know, baseball team one like every state champ they did, and they did they won all those chance That was always something a bit interesting.
Speaker 2: Well interesting you say that because I did that for the blue Book that I did, you know, the blue Book with it looked like a coffee table book cofage its one hundred top games up until two thousand whatever it was. And that's what I found out. It was like peach basket stuff of dirt, dirt, floor games, all all these things.
Speaker 3: How they just kind of made do.
Speaker 2: And you know, and Freddy Ink, Freddink the son, Freddie the Dad was very good. But Freddick Junior was like the star of the city at Tucson High. He was dominated when to World War Two, came back, dominated here and then become this basketball guru and football guru.
Speaker 15: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, Tucson was small town and a lot of different types of people living here that weren't maybe some weren't even allowed to go to the schools and play publicly.
Speaker 3: Things like that didn't happen, like.
Speaker 4: In the uf A didn't have any African American athletes till what the fifties because it.
Speaker 2: Was a god, the red red.
Speaker 3: God.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've written a bottle without how do he read?
Speaker 3: Had he read?
Speaker 2: He read?
Speaker 3: I think's nineteen fifty eight ish, right, Yeah, So I don't know.
Speaker 4: I love just even you know, when there's old NBA games on or Major League Baseball games, I just love to watch this stuff just to see how it was broadcast or how the players play.
Speaker 3: Well, have you talked to I'm sure you have the God.
Speaker 2: I don't know why I'm blanking out. I do know why because I'm old. But the highest score in New A history for the game. He's in San Diego, Tucson native Ernie McCrae.
Speaker 3: I mean he.
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah, yeah, a few times. You know, he's in the books. A well spoken man, bright as all. Heck, he's in San Diego now, author, he loves poetry. But he kind of lived through that and told you how difficult it was. But back in the day, Yeah, I think that'd be a good book. Why don't we think about putting together?
Speaker 3: Put that together? Anybody? He would write it, Yeah, he would write. We need to get, you know, the stories from these people before they go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's so many, so many, like you said, in the fifties, forties, fifties, most of them in the forties.
Speaker 3: Well, well, if not all of them are gone the fifties and sixties.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: You know the guy who would have a lot of knowledge was coach Larsen. Yeah, Coach Larson. I went to him when I was doing one of my books. Him and his wife gave me access to all their pressure. It was tons of stuff. Mister Inky did too.
Speaker 3: Just kind of just here. It is just Freddy fred Junior. Which they live in. They live in him someone in the cotton fields.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he came down and maybe he was he's going in the p MC County Sports Hall of Fame or something like that, and he came in for that, so it was kind of fun to meet him.
Speaker 2: Well, it's kind of weird. I don't know if it felt with to you, but you're seeing these dudes. These dudes are these people who are like iconic, like, wow, you're still alive and you look good, you know what I'm saying. Name schools after this guy, right, golf courses right right beyond famous there.
Speaker 3: Kind of like wow, that's great.
Speaker 4: You know, we're lucky we have their next generations are around too to tell their stories and maybe just you know, remind them, hey, this was my grandfather. Like Lacey Nimeier, Yeah, the great swimmer here in her family's got all kinds of generations.
Speaker 3: A couple, dad and grandpa. You're exactly right, and then she can tell stories about that. So it's good we have people like that. Yeah, yeah, I know you're right though. That name too came out a few times.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Lincoln's, Lincoln Richmond's, and you heard that he was probably the best player, the best player back in those days to ever play the game in the forties and the fifties around around tu Son, Lincoln Richmond. And there's a lot of people that played in Morana, the mayor of Marana, the Honey's.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they place.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they were at all the good old days, good days.
Speaker 3: Yeah, think about that. Okay, we write a book.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have about two left to me. I have two in my head already. I'm starting to think about. But they're not easy. They think about it almost eight nine months.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she said she talked to two hundred and sixty people that ain't Can you imagine and guess what a lot of it gets left on the cutting room floor, right right, Ye,