Speaker 1: Hi, everybody, and welcome to a brand new episode of Second Take Cinema, coming at you from the Glorious Imparlor Film's headquarters in futuristic South End on Sea. I'm your host, Jamie Evans, joined as always by Rory Jocelyn. I'm Burke, and today we are going back to the year of our Lord in nineteen eighty four to give a second take to the Terminator. The Terminator is a nineteen eighty four American science fiction action movie directed by James Cameron, written by James Cameron and Gail Ann Hurd, and it stars Arnold Schwarzenegger, Michael Bean, Lance Henrickson, and Linda Hamilton. It was made for a budget of six point four million dollars and grossed seventy eight point three million dollars at the box office, defying all expectations of its Of the people who made it, they were expecting it to do a lot worse than that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not sure if flop would be the right term, but they certainly didn't expect it to be the outrageous success it was.
Speaker 1: The Terminator has an approval rating of one hundred percent on Rotten Tomatoes. Yeah, with the site's critical consensus, reading with its impressive action, sequencers, taught economic direction, and relentlessly fast pace, it's clear why The Terminator continues to be an influence on sci fi and action flicks. It appears on many lists of best movies ever made, and in twenty nineteen, Hugh Fullerton of The Radio Times ranked it as the second best film in the franchise, stating The Terminator was a brilliantly original, visceral, and genuinely scary movie when it was released in nineteen eighty four, and no matter how badly the visual effects age, it hasn't lost its impact. In twenty twenty one, DALLN. Rowl of slash Film ranked it the fourth best film of James Cameron's career, stating, while its pacing and story structure isn't as tight as it sequels, the Terminator remains one of the most iconic pieces of pop culture ever created. At the time, however, reviews were a little bit more mixed. Variety praise to the film, calling it a blazing cinematic comic book full of virtuo so movie making, terrific momentum, solid performances, and a compelling story. Schwarzenegger is perfectly cast in a machine like portrayal that requires only a few lines of dialogue. The Los Angeles Times called the film a crackling thriller full of all sorts of gory treats, loaded with fuel injected chase scenes, clever special effects, and sly humor. The Milwaukee Journal gave the film three stars, calling it the most chilling science fiction thriller since Alien. Other reviews criticized the film's violence and storytelling quality. Janet Maslin of The New York Times opined that the film was a B movie with flair. Much of it has suspense and personality, and only the obligatory mayhem becomes dull. There is far too much of the last in the form of car chasers, messy shootouts, and mister Schwarzenegger's slamming brutally into anything that gets in his way.
Speaker 2: God, you'd hate modern movies then, because compared to modern movies, the action in this is quite tame. Well, I wouldn't say necessarily tame, because it works, but it's definitely pared back compared to the bullshit we get now.
Speaker 1: The Pittsburgh Press wrote a negative review, calling the film just another of the films drenched in artsy ugliness like Streets of Fire and Blade Runner. I think this motherfucker's on the wrong side of history.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, fucking hell. Like we watch, We've so, we've seen Fire. We watched Streeter Fire looks incredible, Like it's gorgeous.
Speaker 1: Looking, just another films drenched in artsy ugliness like Streets of Fire and Blade.
Speaker 2: I don't like color in my film is essentially he's said that that is like literally those three are like three of the most gorgeous films of the early eighties. He's literally just made the three most beautiful movies. Yeah, and god, this shite to see that.
Speaker 1: The Chicago Tribune gave the film two stars, adding that at times it's horrifyingly violent and suspenseful, at others it giggles at itself. This schizoid style actually helps providing a little humor just when the sci fi plot turns too sluggish or the dialogue to hokey.
Speaker 2: I'm going to imagine that's when the psychiatrist comes in, is what he's referring to there, Because, as you mentioned, basically is the film calling itself out.
Speaker 1: The New House News Service called the film a lurid, violent pretentious piece of clap trap.
Speaker 2: Pretential.
Speaker 1: I haven't heard the phrase clap trap used in one of these reviews in a long time.
Speaker 2: No, but also pretentious doesn't sound right. Okay, we'll get to that. That's strange.
Speaker 1: Oh, listen to this, because I see what we feel about this. Scottish author Gilbert Adair called the film repellent to the last degree, charging it with insidious Nazification and having an appeal rooted in an unholy compound of fascism, fashion and fascination.
Speaker 2: That's fascinating. I had no idea where he's picked up any of that. There's no Nazi overtures, so fascism doesn't necessarily require Nazi overtures?
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 2: Maybe?
Speaker 1: Because of these are the bad guys skying out the fascists?
Speaker 2: Obviously surely, well, I can't see how you would view Sarah Connor and Carl Reese's the fascists. So the only one is Arnie, who is the villain. And I suppose I think this motherfucker has some problems with history because they Arnold Schwartzenegger is an Austrian. He's a very tall Austrian. He's a very well built Austrian. He's got blonde hair and blue wires. Austrian.
Speaker 1: He doesn't have blonde hair, does he not? He's got brown hair?
Speaker 2: Oh, so he does. But he's either way, he's essentially the uber Mensch sort of. So maybe all I can think of is that he's seen the look of Arnie in this film, and certainly how cool he looks when he's got the leather jacket and stuff on, and has basically gone, that's them basically saying that this fascist ideology is fine, but it's so surface level a read that I would just disregard that without.
Speaker 1: It's a shame he's dead. I'd like to know why he said, I might look into him more. And Lastly, in a retrospective review done years and years later, Peter Bradshaw of The Guardian awarded it five out of five stars, stating that on the strength of this picture, Cameron could stand toe to toe with Carpenter and Spielberg. Sadly it spawned a string of pointless and inferior sequels, but the first terminator stands up tremendously well, with out rageous verve and blistering excitement. Hang on, he is he saying that James Cameron could have stood with them based on the strength of this picture and based on where his career has gone. He doesn't anymore, which we would agree with because we both hate Avatar and think it's a piece of hack.
Speaker 2: Shit, right, So I suppose it would depend on when that review was made.
Speaker 1: That must be that's a modern review. It's a retrospective, right right, Okay, because I mean, I'm glad to hear my man happened to get in some shout out.
Speaker 2: Come to the world deserves a shout out. The Yeah, I'll be honest. Until let's say the Turn of the Millennium, actually really rate James Cameron's back catalog. He didn't really do much after two thousand. Avatar doesn't. Avatar is the only one that really counts, and I didn't like it.
Speaker 1: That's all he's done.
Speaker 2: Well, he's done Avatar to the Way of Water, which nobody ever saw, and somehow has broken Box off his record. The point is he's I don't believe correctly.
Speaker 1: He's trapped in Avatar Land, and he trapped himself there though, and if it's to be believed, he will be trapped there until the day he retires.
Speaker 2: At this because he says there's like thirty films or something.
Speaker 1: It's five. But look how long it took him to make the second one. Yeah. If they're going to be a gap, that money's in his sixties.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: If there's a gap that big between all of them, then our dot he's even going to finish, although I think three and four he's filming back to that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But he was so he ded Terminator. He did True Lies, which was very popular. He did the second Alien film, which was very popular. He did The Abyss, which was very popular. He also did a few other films where he wasn't director, but he wrote and produced them, such as Strange Days, Strange Days. I really rate Strange Days, Don't get me wrong. It's got a lot of failures, but it's a really good film, a really good cyber punky film. He wrote a lot of gold and had the potential of writing even more. But after Titanic he basically went up that shit, I'm going under the sheer, and then when he came back up for air, he went the backstre.
Speaker 1: Anyway, the Terminator. Do you remember when you first saw the Terminator?
Speaker 2: Rory So, I first saw Terminator two. Okay, I saw them out of order. I remember when I saw Terminated two. I won't go too much into it because it's not the film we're reviewing yet, but my parents bought me and my brother a VHS or got somehow, and like a really old VHS player, and I mean really odd for the time. It was like a late seventies VHS player in like nineteen ninety nine, maybe two thousand, like super late for how old I was. Some of the first tapes we got. My parents had recorded Terminator Too off the TV, so I watched it. So my first introduction to Terminator Universe was T two and seeing Arnie. I'd add none of the precursor as to how much the horror was in the first one, because I hadn't seen it, so, but I did know the twist that he becomes good. So when I eventually got round to seeing Terminator one, which was not for a little while afterwards, trying to think of when I saw Terminator one, probably around two thousand and five, maybe two thousand and six, it would have been on a DVD. When I got round to watching it, I was really surprised by how evil Ernes Schwarzenegger's character was. Considering that my precursor to that was T two, where he's the good guy. But yeah, it's a brilliant heel turn. And I say heel turn because he did the hell turn first, but you know what I mean, it's he was very convincing in T two. I then go back to watching Terminator one. It's a completely different type of movie. They're both action movies to a certain degree, and obviously both somewhat sci fi ish, but Terminator two is basically all action, whereas Terminator one is also very much a horror movie, monster of the week, horror movie, really like it's the thing that it had in common with the first Predator and the first Alien film seemed to be a very common thing in the eighties, and even though seventy nine f Alien, where you'd start off with an iconic horror Killer one, Alien one, Predator one Terminator and then you'd sequalize it with more action was a very common reaction. And I can understand why, because it's a way you can make it bigger, whereas making it more horror. Usually making it bigger doesn't make it more scary, so I can understand why they did that. But either way, yeah, it was a great he'll turn. I remember enjoying it, but I will be honest, this is one that's grown on me more and more from my subsequent watches. The more I watch it, the more I enjoy it. Yeah, rather than it wasn't one that came out the gate as my favorite I watched, it was Air T two. Still better. I'm now at a point where I actually think it's better than T two. Yeah, but yeah, so what about yourself?
Speaker 1: So I did see them in order. My dad showed me this and I loved it. Yeah, as you know, I have a thing for horror anyway.
Speaker 2: You can say a thing for naked ard all.
Speaker 1: Well, yes that too. Obviously for me, the Slasher influence on this is really clear. Yeah, my biggest memory of it is the bit where he catches fire and then the metal exoskeleton or sorry endoskeleton comes out of Yeah, out of the flames. It stopped motion and whatnot.
Speaker 2: But it was so cool because it had such limitations and yeah, it pulls it off.
Speaker 1: I remember watching that and it's feeling really impactful, and I remember my I do remember my dad saying to me, Arnie comes back in the next one, but he's the good guy and I was like, how's that work?
Speaker 2: How'd he come back?
Speaker 1: And how do you get I remember my dad saying that basically the good guys get him and reprogram him and whatnot. But no, I, like you've just said, I actually prefer T one to TEA two T too. I like T too the Liquid Metal Terminators great, it holds up. I find TEA to a little self indulgent.
Speaker 2: I think what it is is, if you watch the theatrical version of T too, it's actually better. I always I'm one of these people that when I watch a film, if there is a longer director's cut that has more of the stuff that the director want to put back in, that will be the version I watch. And for films like say Star Trek two Rath of Calm, that's fine because it's actually only slightly longer, and the scenes they add back in add emotional weight. With T two, the director's cut is like an extra fucking hour or something like this, an egregious edition for what should be an action movie, and I get I start to struggle to finish it. Whereas I think if I went back to the theatrical release, I would enjoy it a lot more because of the shortened run time, but I always dick myself over by go we've got to watch the director's version of them, and I need to remember not to do that next time I watch. Whereas Terminator one, you just watch it and it's right on the money each time.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, Yeah. I think this film is probably the fourth or fifth time I've seen it, and it totally holds up for me. Yeah, even some of the bits. The thing that's aged the worst is the haircuts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the scooter and the scooters Sarah Sarah Connor's scooter is so eighties it hurts. Yeah, the square front and everything.
Speaker 1: The effects really haven't aged that much for me, because I am one of these old biddies who still thinks that practical is better. Practical is better, like stop motion looks better. The miniatures that are used in the future scene.
Speaker 2: They actually don't do a lot of stop motion. They do less than I remember.
Speaker 1: Pretty much. Only when the skeleton comes out.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, but even then a lot of that isn't stop motion.
Speaker 1: No, it's only when you see his full body moving, when it's half a body. He's clearly got a pupper teer under him moving him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that which means that you get a lot less of the jank, and because he he's smart to cut around it. Because you don't see a lot of that, you just see enough you get the meaning of it while without having to see a lot of the jank, because we're seeing a lot more at full frame.
Speaker 1: And to be fair, I just thought the jank worked because it's a fucking robot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that does help. If it was meant to be like a biological monster, it would look weirder.
Speaker 1: I think the action in this film does does work. As you know, I'm not a big action guy, but I'm especially not a modern action guy because I think we've talked about this before, but the way modern action is shot and cut together, it can become difficult to tell what's happening in a scene or to understand where everyone else is in Well, you know, we recently covered I don't know if it will come out before this or not, but we recently watched over on our other show VGMP resident Evil Afterlife, Yes, and we talked about how there's a bit at the climax of that film where the villain Albert Wesker is having a fight with Chris and clear Redfield whilst Millerjovivic's character Alice is there with these two zombie dogs, and literally the film basically pauses Alice to let the Chris Clear and Wescer fight happen, and you can see Millerdjovivic in the background just waiting for just standing there, and you're like, a better director and editor would have made this feel more.
Speaker 2: These two fights happened at the same time rather than into each whereas at the moment Miller pauses while this fight happens, and then once that fight finishes, Miller starts, Yeah. There are never any bits in this film, at least for me, where suddenly the Terminator will appear.
Speaker 1: Somewhere and I'm like, hang, I know he was over there a minute ago. It always feels consistent, which makes the cat and mouse nature of the film feel more realistic, and it allows you to feel the tension from it more. Well, what's smart about it is the Terminator does lose track of Sarah Connor and Cole Reice a couple of times, so it's got no way to know where they are. But rather than just do what a lot of lesser directors and writers would do, which is just oh, it's found them.
Speaker 2: Just get on with it. Oh scary, it found them, walked through the wall. There's always a process that we see, and it doesn't take very long because it's so it's very economical with its time. We see the process of how the terminator picks back up the trail. So it goes in to when it it's going around killing every Sarah Connor in the town because all it knows is the name and the rough location, so it's going through the phone book and killing every Sarah Connor. When it goes to kill the real Sarah Connor, it's actually after it's her flatmate Ginger and her boyfriend. It kills both of them and essentially would assumed job done. Sarah Connor basically gives herself away by calling in and leaving a voice smail on the answer machine and he goes, I'm at this club, please come and help blah blah blah blah blah, and he's cool, I'm gonna go there, And it doesn't say any of that, but it's basically think it's great, I'm gonna go over there, and Murcer for real so travels down there, finds her, and then they leave shoot it with the shotgun a few times and it loses track of them. So the way it catches the track again is it steals a police car and then it listens in over the wire as to when it they pick up the vehicle that they left in and then it goes there and then it picks up on the police wire that they've been the suspects of being found in court and brought to the police station. That leads to it then doing the raid on the police station. So we're at no point do we get this normal movie bullshit where it's just like and suddenly a terminator appears because the plot.
Speaker 1: Needs the terminator to find them.
Speaker 2: At this point, no, you know how the terminator has found them in you know what. Actually, some people go, well, it's a bit more creepy if you don't know how it found out, and yeah, you don't want everything over explained. But actually adds to this enemy that it's not a mystical piece of bullshit, because we know it's not We know it's not a monster, we know it's not a you know, a psychic other worldly thing. It's a machine. So it has to have a process. So if you were just like, well, somehow a machine psychically knew people were in location, it would pull you completely out the film. And to be fair to James Camerony figured that. I also like the fact that there's a lot of minor characters that actually have some relevance. They don't do it a lot, but like the two Cops, Lance Hendrickson, and he was another big name. He was also in Rather Card, he was the captain. But the two cops have quite a bit to do. They have a personality of their own, and they have a back and forth of their own. And then you have the doctor who's the psychologist. He has quite a big bit to do. And that's the bit I was talking about earlier where he essentially calls out the film. And you mentioned when we were watching that this is actually quite smart because it gets the nerds on side. Were the nerds to be sitting there going but why would they only send one robot back? Why would they only do like all the bullshit that comes with this narrative. You have a character in there calling it out openly. Paul Winfield was Paul win He's legend, He's been in loads of stuff. But yeah, he yeah. So you have this character that's almost the voice of the nerds that would pull the script apart, and that basically means that you get a very short scene of him grilling Kyle Reese and kyl Ree's going, fucking cares about your shit, and you go, yeah, actually it doesn't matter. There's a terminator.
Speaker 1: One thing I love about this film as well is the gradual and continual degradation of Arnold Schwarzenegger into being the terminator. So when he first turns up, obviously he looks perfect and perfect, you know, not a blemish on him. Yeah, and then he gets he takes a few gun shots first. Then he like goes through those flames, doesn't he. That burns his eyebrows off, Yes, and cinders his hair, so his hairstyle changes. Yeah, so you get this cool effect. And then as the film progresses, bits of the skin start to come off and you see like the metal chassis underneath.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's rotting on his eyeball, he's got a broke, he's ripped his arm open, Yeah, he's got Yeah, he's slowly becoming exposed. But as he becomes more exposed, he becomes more well you normally do. He's getting more desperate. But it's a machine. It doesn't get desperate. Yeah, it's just it's becoming, it's revealing its true self more and more. What I also liked is, and I said this when we watched it, the ending, there's multiple points where you could end this early. So there's a point where the terminator has a tank is driving a tanker and they managed to ignite it and blow him up inside the tanker. You see the term that his body come out, step out, and then collapse and start and that that's when the last of its skin and everything all burns, Yeah, burns off and melts Awight, it's dead. You would imagine you could end the film there. It might be a little anticlimactic because even though you've had this big explosion, you know, fine, it got melted to death, James Cameron, you to continue. So it gets out of the flames. That's iconic. It then chases them into a factory and you're like, okay, we need to now nerve Reese from the car Reese from the story. Why don't we nerf them both together, because then the two things from the future each other out, so that he gives you that moment Carl Reese is injured, he can't continue. So what he does instead is he has a plastic grenade that he's made, puts it into the chassis of the robot halfway through to blow it into pieces, and as he drops down the steps to try and escape, he breaks his own neck and eyes. The terminator explodes. Terminator is dead. You could end the film there. You'd be satisfied with that ending, but that would be about it. You'd be just about satisfied the thing that kicks it over the edge. And it's because it's also short. It doesn't go on for like another fifteen minutes. He's from that point. The terminator is dead, except it's still gets top half going, and that's enough to try and continue the mission. So it conpleue is the mission and a smart move as well that somehow in that explosion, Sarah Connor gets injured so she can only really crawl herself, so she can't run away from a crawling robot. Clever move. She has to go through the press and the thing comes after her and it then finally gets compressed to death in the big crutching machine. I don't know what this factory actually produces. It needs a big crutcher, but either way it gets compressed in the machine. You finally see it die. But the fact is is that nothing else matters but finishing the mission, and.
Speaker 1: She goes, you're terminated. Fucker.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what a fucking line. The truth is those that continuation and that fact that it just does not stop, as is mentioned by Cole Ree's halfway through the film when he's in police custody. That's what makes the film memorable, Yes, because it just like anything else. If it was human or a beast, it would slowly be wounded, it would slowly die, it would think of itself in some way. I need to get myself healed. I need to do this. I need something to save my life, or I need food.
Speaker 1: This has nothing. Well it's that. That's what I mean when I say that obvious Slasher influence on Yeah, it's Michael Myers. Yeah. Now, in that original Halloween, she stabs him through the eye with the no him. In the next with the knitting needle, she stabs in through the eye with the coat hanger, but he keeps getting back up. Loomis comes in and shoots him and he falls over the balcony, doesn't he And when they go to look, he's gone. Yeah, and this had I remember as a kid feeling, you know, this has that same feel of just it's just swapper, supernatural killer for a machine. This thing will not stop.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it kind of makes more sense in this capacity than it does in Halloween because it is a robot. It makes sense that it can take a few stabs to the face, neck and eye and not really have much trouble showing for it, Whereas even I'm human that's very powerful, etc. There'd be some result of stabbing it in the fucking eye. I don't believe that there's anything that could take us to have a fork to the eye and just go eh, fuck it. It makes sense when it's a robot. Yeah, this film is I think a fantastic movie. Definitely rates on mine. It's legend for a reason. It's not just legendary because it was good for its time. It still holds up. Yeah, and it manages to pace itself in a way that even a lot of modern films that even contemporaries following it throughout any of the few decades since it came out rarely master.
Speaker 1: There's not many films I've ever heard of that have one hundred percent on rotin tomorrow.
Speaker 2: No, Now, some of that will be based on its own reputation, but it works. It's hard for me to explain why it doesn't deserve one hundred percent because it does so much of what it does so well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree. It's like, if you want to poke holes out, you can kind of point out the grandfather paradox of it all. Yeah, but the film is done in such a way that you don't care that, you know, Kyle Reese turns out to be John Connor's dad, but John Connor had to have been born to send Kyle Reese back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, but you kind of.
Speaker 1: Just don't care. You kind of just go, yeah, okay, fine.
Speaker 2: Well, I think what helps with that is just our way line almost kind of ups with that where he says it's one of many possible futures, which suggests that at some point John Connor wasn't born, Carl Reese was born, and for whatever reason, Carl Reese got sent back anyway, found Sarah Connor and started the paradox. But because it's almost more dimensional than it is just straight narrative of time, because it could be one of many possible futures, suggests that there is a there is a case that we're out of sync with time because of what Carl Reese does. Okay, so performances in this We've got Sarah Connor, we've got Linda Hamilton, we've got Arnold Schwarzenegger, and we've got Michael Bean as sort of the main trio of cast. We then have some supporting cast as we mentioned, I guess the main one to start with. Then let's start with Arnold Schwarzenegger because it's his breakout role. Realistically, Conan could be argued to be his breakout role.
Speaker 1: Was Conan that successful though?
Speaker 2: It was for him in terms of his career, but in terms of making him it was enough to make Kim a Hollywood star. I think Terminator kicked it over the edge and that he will now be a permanent star. I think there is the slight differential. I always differentiate him that way.
Speaker 1: Terminator, I mean Terminator is his most iconic role. Yes, when you think Schwarzenegger, you think Terminator and the Terminator films they've tried to make without Schwarzenegger do not work in my opinion.
Speaker 2: Well, he's been in all of them, hasn't he.
Speaker 1: He's not well, he's technically in Salvation, but that's not him, that's just a CGI. What was he in Genesis is himself again? He comes back, remember, and they find he's aged. Yeah, you're right, they don't work past three.
Speaker 2: I thought that was that was dark face.
Speaker 1: They both do it.
Speaker 2: Oh good, why not just recycle things now?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, because he has aged, that's the problem.
Speaker 2: No, No, But my point is is like, yeah, it shows that you needed something different. I think the Terminator's had its time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, honestly, I didn't. I know a lot of people would say you don't need any past the first two. I'll give you the third one because I like the twist at the end of the third one.
Speaker 2: The twist was very clever in the third one, and the rest of the film was a bit shit and cheesy, but like the actual concept of it becoming software was really clever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's fine to watch the third one. Yeah, it might be not as artistic as the first two, just done.
Speaker 2: The logan does well as the TX, even though I don't think they give her as much cool shit they could have given her. Yeah, but Arnie still looks kind of decent enough in the role. Yeah, it's paced well, like it does not feel laborious to what. No, it's a good time.
Speaker 1: I would I think you'd have a decent trilogy if you just left it at those three and the third one ends with Judgment Day happening anyway, making the first two fearly relevant, which is fascinating. It feels like all the struggles here a Kona goes so it is still for nothing eventually. Yeah, because which makes it really depressing trilogy as well. Yeah, basically Skynett is inevitable.
Speaker 2: Well, but that's always been the story realistically, apart from the very end of the director's cut of Tea two where it's like, hey, we averted it, so they stay openly in the director's cut. But yeah, so I Swartzenegger's performance in this, Yes, it's his most iconic role, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a good one. You know, if you could quote me the you know, the the most iconic role that Stephen Sigal has ever done, it wouldn't make it a good role because it's Stephen Segal. So arnor Schwarzenegger though is not Steven Segall.
Speaker 1: I would say Stephen. I don't think Stephen Sagal has any.
Speaker 2: Iconic roles under Siege.
Speaker 1: I've heard of the film, but I don't think it's iconic. I don't see you know, posters of under Siege in people's.
Speaker 2: Rooms, and yeah, so what do you think of his performance as this thought that's great. Yeah, it's really good.
Speaker 1: There's none of that self consciousness sometimes when people who usually play good guys play bad guys. Yeah, you get a sort of a self consciousness to it where you can tell they kind of don't want to do it. And I actually found out Arnold originally wanted to be Kyle Reese.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that was the role Who's originally meant intended for because there was a crossover between either Lance Henrickson or O. J. Simpson as the Terminator simply because they they can blend into a crowd.
Speaker 1: And when James Cameron met with him, because the thing is, if you have him as Kyle Reese, the Terminator needs to be even bigger to be a threat.
Speaker 2: Well, I think the idea was that Kyl Reese is a hench dude, but then like the Terminators insidious because he could be anywhere, he could be anyone, almost which they do. They keep that notion in the film, but Yeah, every terminator we see is hench as fuck, so you'd always be able to go, well, this guy's a beefcake, so he's probably a terminator. This dude is weedy as shit, so he's probably not a turn. It's the one negative that you could throw at the film. But let's be honest, because of how cool it is, no one cares.
Speaker 1: But no, I think this is a great performance. He feels sinister. You don't get distracted by the arny of it all either. No later Arnold Roles I like him, but a lot of later Arnold Roles they're not acting. He's just playing Arnold Schwartzenegger and all of the gimmicks we like with Arnold Schwarzenegger. This feels like he's acting.
Speaker 2: I don't think he had gimmicks yet because he hadn't done many films before this, so I think that maybe helped. He did Hercules in New York, but in the original cinematic run of that he was dubbed, so it wasn't even his voice. The DVD re releases now have his original voice in and it's a lot better, and buy a lot better. I mean, there's a couple of funny bits and the rest of it's still garbage only bay. You can not heard Hercules, but it was originally a really posh Transatlantic voice. You cannot heard Hercules, You're like, why won't you ever dub Ardie with that bullshit? You had Pumping On, which was a documentary so doesn't really count. You had Conan the Barbarian, which was I think a great film, though I know you're not particularly a fan of it. However, there wasn't really any lines that were quotable in the same way. I think the closest one is the lamentation of the women.
Speaker 1: It's a bit from the beginning where he's like, yeah, lations of their women.
Speaker 2: And I also liked his line about crowd like the god crown that I want you to basically bestow me and if you don't, then to hell with you. And I'm like, that's how religion should be, is it? God helped me out?
Speaker 1: If not fun.
Speaker 2: Yourself, which is essentially on that line. Yeah, I like that.
Speaker 1: I don't think that's how religion is supposed to work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, if you're if you're a god and you're supposedly loving, fucking give me some love, motherfucker. Anyway, the yeah, so Arnold hadn't yet built what I mean, there's things in this that would later be reused in things like Commando, and by that point he'd very much hit into his Let's give him a decent set of one liners. Dylan your son of a bitch. Yes, I lied, You're funny guy, Sally, I like you. That's why I'm going to kill you.
Speaker 1: Last, don't just serve my friend. He's dead tired.
Speaker 2: Man. I love Commando. It was a charper. I mean, I don't think anyone has has has had as many epically quotable lines as Arnold Schwartzen. Oh no, absolutely not. He manages somehow to make it all so quotable. But yeah, so on Schwarzenegger, I think was great. What about Linda Hamilton and Michael Bean.
Speaker 1: Linda Hamilton does a great job.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's so.
Speaker 1: Interesting because she is such a different character in the second one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, in this she's still she's not a way far from it. Actually she does harden up over the course of the film. You do see that progression. But obviously at the beginning she's she's a waitress, and there was nothing more special about her than any of the other waitresses that are working in, which is what works so well. Yeah, is that you can take this absolute nobody and she's got to become the mother to the greatest leader of the resistance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the evolution does work. Who works well in my opinion, And you really feel it at the end when she says you're terminated, fucker, and it's the button.
Speaker 2: It feels earned. It's a really earned moment. Michael Bean as well. He's doing a role that I've seen him then perform again about ten years after this, in a film called time Bomb. That's not a good film. It's him and Patsy Kensit basically doing the story again, but without a robot chasing Hill. You have Billy Blanks chase it after them in a suit. And Yeah, there's a bit where they're trying to crawl through a porno theater and there's a full on porno going on in the background and said, try and escape.
Speaker 1: Delightful.
Speaker 2: Michael Bean's doing a role that he becomes very accustomed to, very like he does it basically again in Aliens. I don't think he was intended to be in Aliens, but the person that was meant to be his role left and he took.
Speaker 1: It he replaced James Remark, didn't they that was it? I thought Bill Paxton replaced James Remar But was it not? Was it Michael Ban?
Speaker 2: I heard it was Michael Ban. I could be wrong.
Speaker 1: I don't know. You're probably right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're both just going on what we've heard. But yeah, I think he does a service I say serviceable, very good performance. And I did like that he's brought back in right at the start of Terminator two, but it's not in a way that undoes his death here because he's he's a vision, isn't he too? Sarah Connor while she's in the mental home.
Speaker 1: Yes, I had forgotten about that, to be honest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he repeats the line that she gives to him where she says, on your feet, soldier, and she says that to him, and he says that to her in the second one. Yeah, the other performances, as I say, I really enjoyed, I'll enjoyed the two Cops, and I enjoyed Dr Silverman, who comes back in Terminator two as the person running the mental home that Sarah Connor is being kept in, and he because he misses all of the Terminator shit in this film, he is in the police station and it's as he exits that Arnold Schwarzenegger enters, so he misses the fact that the terminute was somehow able to endure so many bullets and get riddled and still walk on. When it came to the second one, he's now running the psychiatric care home and he is still doesn't believe that it's real, and he just thinks that she's absorbed Carl Reese's delusion. And then in the third one, he's seen their two one thousand walk through the bars and like just liquefy and reanimate the other side, and he drops his cigarette. And then in the third one, when he's trying to ease off the girl in that one, Claire Dame's character, Yeah, Katherine Brewster, that's it. While he's trying to help Katherine Brewster feel a bit better about all the shit she's seen in the churchyard. Yes, things happen, you know, and you think you've seen things, crazy things, impossible things, things that couldn't possibly be real. It's just like haunted by it, and you're like, it's a funny. It's a cameo really more than anything. Whereas in this and the second one. It's more of a role, but it is a funny cameo. He then doesn't appear again because, well, let's be honest, anything after Terminator three has no real lineage connection to the rest. Terminated Salvation isn't a reboot. It could technically be a follow on, but it doesn't look anything like the future that we've seen. And it's a completely new cast and.
Speaker 1: Shit, I can't remember if it's shipped or not.
Speaker 2: Only to double take that word, second take that one. I think I have.
Speaker 1: Only seen it once. To be fair, My memory is it's awful.
Speaker 2: And then they did Terminated Genesis, which is a full on reboot and only the main two characters are in it, but they're played by completely different people. And then it's Dark Fate, which basically reboots from after Terminator two, doesn't it? Yes, because Dark Fate doesn't include Terminator three or anything after. No, because John Connor dies at the start of Yes, everywhere they've cgi recreated Edward for long. Yes, and he gets got Yeah.
Speaker 1: I do really like the vibe the future has in this film. It always felt as a kid, It always felt like a real dystopian.
Speaker 2: Oh, it feels like a real nightmare. It's why I was so disappointed with the visuals of Salvation. Salvation feels like it's set in a desert, very much like an Iraq war style shoot. But obviously, what with futuristic elements, this doesn't have that.
Speaker 1: It feels like you're blue. The future is really blue. It's really in the next one as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah it's really blue, it's really dark. You've got the bright laser lights of like the pinch lasers and shit are the only things that really illuminate it. But it also feels like the world is a giant scrap yard, and that's the big difference. Salvation made it that the world is a big desert, which is the opposite.
Speaker 1: This is as we already know. I'm not a fan of that.
Speaker 2: No, I'm also not a fan of that look. But also it doesn't make sense with what we've seen previously. If you're gonna do that, if your whole idea is let's do a film that's set in the negative future, Terminate three is set up that we're going there anyway, make it look like the negative future that everyone wanted to see, don't make it look like some different franchise.
Speaker 1: I do also just want to say that I really like the score in this film. Yes, finally obviously the famous Terminator theme music.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think he improves at Brad Fidal is very good. I think he improves on some of it in the second one over this one, but let's be honest, a lot of it's still very good.
Speaker 1: Here.
Speaker 2: There's there's one point where the Terminators attacking, and I think it's in the police station where the soundtrack is a little over techno for my liking, just that it's just very obvious early eighties syinth is that and you're like, all right, carve it down said, but it's I'm over. This is probably one of the first films as well, that of its type that had such a huge impact that wasn't an orchestrated soundtrack. This and Blade Run must have come out a similar sort of time. Vangelists, who did the soundtrack for Blade Runner, was also very SYNTHI but it was slightly different to this. It's not the same sound. Vangelists is kind of a I think, a slightly bigger sound than this, but that's fine. This had a more This felt more like a mashup of maybe the evangelist style of Blade Runner, crossed with any Morricone's style of composing for the Spaghetti Western Trilogy, where it's made up off pieces of music rather than being like obviously it's one big piece. Any Amercanis has done orchestra's performing the Spaghetti Western Trilogy music, but like the Waestion.
Speaker 1: Did he do, it's the Dollars Trilogy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's They're called the Spaghetti Western Trilogy. And though there's Spaghetti Westerns other than that, but.
Speaker 1: I've always called it. I've always heard it called the Dollars Trilogy.
Speaker 2: I've never heard it called the Dollars trip. Okay, interesting but yeah no, yeah, fistful of dollars, a few dollars more and the good, the band, the ugly. Obviously he's done more than that. Sergey early One, who was the director of those, had done more than that as well. Essentially, before that point, all of the soundtracks for westerns were that whole dun d had that whole big sort of orchestrated soundtrack.
Speaker 1: Wow wow wow Yeah, and.
Speaker 2: It's all in bits, and you've just got bits of gone for wringle and then just a bit of guitar going down and just bits of chance, bits of guitar bits of this bit, and it's almost like it's almost like sampling, but he's created it himself. It's like an early form of sampling, but that fits in the Western theme. Brad Feigel's theme for Terminator has a similar feel in that it seems to be made out of parts of people hitting chunks of metal and banging on ship and then you get that almost an orchestrated piece, but it's not. It's clearly synth.
Speaker 1: Of do Do Do.
Speaker 2: It's it's all you can almost hear are Gone four Ringle being thrown in there, because it's just made up of all these pieces that make overall this unique sound, and sci fi hadn't really done that before. Obviously Western's had and it's a great way, I think for Brad Fidley Brad Fidle to have built that soundtrack, which is why the only bit that stands out for me as not being my favorite in terms of soundtrack is the bit where he goes to a bit of a standard synth line during one of the attack sequences. Because the rest of this has that kind of raw energy, it gives it an energy because it's made up of percussive bangs on actual things. It's more percussive. I love that. Yeah, the sound in this is brilliant. It looks incredible.
Speaker 1: This still totally holds up in my opinion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's bits when they're outside the lighting you to you can't do this lighting anymore. And what I mean by that is essentially, essentially they were unable to get the rights to film in the city. They filmed in outside, so they did it on the fly a bit gorilla style ish, which is not uncommon for low budget film. However, the reason that it looks so good is that on scouting the locations as much as he could, James Cameron realized that the street lamps were lit with something that you can't do anymore because they're considered bio hazardous. They're actually rated on the same scale as having nuclear equipment. Yeah, which is they were mercury lamps. Now, my grandfather had some mercury, yeah, because he when in World War Two, they used to use it in the lamps for the jeeps and the tank that the jeeps and the trucks. Because they're brighter than normal bulbs. They're very bright and there are white brightness, but they have a bluish tinge rather than what we know of more from tungsten, where it's a more yellowish tinge. And we've kind of gone back to white a little bit with led lights and even on head lights in cars they've gone back to white, but there was a sort of a bluish tinge to mercury lamps. And when it came to destroying it, they're like, yeah, you can't. Basically we asked if you can sell it. They're like, yeah, no one will buy this because it's technically considered radioactive. It's not that level. It's not actually radioactive, so it's safe in its little vial. But still, the point is he realized that this city was lit with these particular types of lamps, so wherever you picked a film at, he made sure there was lamps like that nearby, so A they didn't have to get out so much lighting equipment, but b it gave it this really odd white blue look that is still unique to this film. It doesn't really recur in the sequel because by that point all the mercury lamps had gone. They replaced it with a different style in the sequel, which I really love, where they do that sort of blue and red lighting on the side of the faces. But with this, they didn't have time to set up that sort of extensive lighting, so instead they just went with what they got and this gave them a really unique look. It's a bit of a shame because I'd love to film a film that has this aesthetic, But the only way to realistically do it, I think, is to get mercury lamps, which would there, which basically would be breaking.
Speaker 1: A million laws.
Speaker 2: So it's just basically it's not feasible. But yeah, I love that there is a unique lighting scheme to this film that is so eighties, and it's so eighties because you cannot do it anymore. I need to find a way to replicate it. Man. I just love it so much. This is a great film. I love the way it looks, I love the way it sounds, I love the way it's performed. I think it's perfectly paced. It never gets boring. We heard criticisms from people of the time in that review section. I don't really agree with most of it. I certainly don't agree that it's pretentious. I don't know where you'd find pretension in this film.
Speaker 1: No, no, me neither, And I don't know where that nassification thing was coming from. But yeah, no, I think this is a great film. It still holds up. It's definitely been a very successful second take.
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, definitely, Yeah, we'll give it a watch if you haven't already.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you everyone for tuning in. It is a pleasure to be able to bring you this show every week and get to talk about the films that we enjoy. Thank you very much. Please do like, share, subscribe, etc. And make sure you check out the other Imparlor film shows VGMP, the Video Game Movie Podcast where we talk about movies based on video games, or one of our two fiction podcasts, our sci fi audio drama The Lakes of the Moon and our horror adventure audio drama Haunted, which are available on all good podcasting apps. And we will see you next time for another second take.