Speaker 1: The makers of Campbell Soups present the Campbell Playhouse. Arson Wells producer.
Speaker 2: Good Evening, Miss Dawson Wells.
Speaker 3: Sixteen weeks ago tonight, I joined the Campbell Playhouse, and if you remember, we dramatized Rebecca Well, I'm pretty sure if you remember Rebecca, you'll never forget Margaret Sullivan.
Speaker 2: And I know you're glad that Margaret Sullivan.
Speaker 3: Is sack with us again, with us this evening to play Magnolia in Showboat.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: I try to make our radio.
Speaker 3: Version of Showboat as true to its original as possible.
Speaker 2: But don't worry.
Speaker 3: The Campbell Playoffs wouldn't dream of being so different as to do Showboat without Helen Morgan. Helen Morgan is Julie, Wonderful, wonderful Helen Morgan with an old song which is new to her and new to Showboat, maybe even new to you. And then there's William Johnstone who's playing gay Lord ravenel Ray Collins is playing Wendy, and I'm playing Captain Andy Hawks. Finally, Edna Ferber, herself, Edna Ferber, who wrote Showboat, comes to our microphone and begins tonight her career as an actress begins it in the service of one of her finest stories and in the character of one of her most famous creations, Parthy Hawks, Ladies.
Speaker 2: And gentlemen, the big show will start in just one minute. Come one, come all, it's.
Speaker 4: The rage of the river.
Speaker 3: To quote Captain Andy, it's the sensation of the century.
Speaker 4: In one minute, La cambal show boot.
Speaker 2: Just before we start, a word from nice Chapel.
Speaker 1: Up to a comparatively short time ago, vegetable soup, more than any other, had been associated with the traditional home soup kettle. For years, many housewives followed the old time custom of making this soup in their own kitchens, until one by one they discovered Cambell's. They found that Campbell's vegetable soup had the same good flavor, the same nourishing quality they themselves had always driven to get. Now, if it happens that you are one of those who haven't made this discovery, and if you still think good vegetable soup can only be made at home, may I suggest that you try Campbell's vegetable soup. I'm sure it's convenience will appeal to you immediately. It's ready to serve in almost no time at all. But what is even more important is this. You will find in Campbell's vegetable soup the same good, homemade character and the same homey flavor that you'd look for in the finest cuttle of soup you ever made in your own kitchen. Campbell's have kept faith with time honored home traditions in making the soup. You can tell that in the taste of your first few spoonfuls. Expert home cooks sipping this soup critically.
Speaker 4: Not their approval.
Speaker 1: So won't you give Campbell's Vegetable Soup a trial? Make a note of it in planning to Morrow's meals? And now Margaret Sullivan and Arson Wells with Helen Morgan and authoress Edna Ferber in show Boats.
Speaker 3: If you were an obituary of old South Clark Street in Chicago's gay nighties, you may remember it still Nola Ravenel soup brettes and that amazing slow.
Speaker 2: Smile that's still talked about among the older.
Speaker 3: Writers on the dramatic pages, some of the same men who to day print four column pictures of a daughter Kim Kim Ravenel on the front pages of Sunday sections.
Speaker 4: To Magnoli had all.
Speaker 3: Seemed like a vague dream now, those long years in Chicago with Ravenel, months of heartbreak and failure after he'd gone away, the years of success playing Chicago, playing the Circuits, playing the East, and then at six day retired, living with Kim in New York, watching Kim's success, knowing all the right people, going to the right places, a strange dream world in which he'd been living all these years, and now suddenly back reality. In that piece of yellow paper delivered to Kim's dressing room the night before.
Speaker 4: Crumpled now from being held in her hand all days.
Speaker 3: The train carried her south back towards the river, back home Parthenia. Anne Hawks died suddenly eight o'clock before evening show Cotton Bosom playing gould Spring, Tennessee Sympathy Company.
Speaker 2: George, Doc Bernato, You've just come.
Speaker 5: To another, that soul staying on that miserable boat all these weeks and making.
Speaker 6: Me come all the way down here to get you.
Speaker 5: We're going back to New York on the night.
Speaker 6: Trailing on the tenth we stay off for London.
Speaker 7: No you do, Kim, I don't.
Speaker 8: I'm staying here. You're what I'm staying here. Kim with the show boat.
Speaker 6: You can't mean it, mother, flopping up and down those wretched rivers and this heat and the splies and the mud. You could be with me in London, around the island.
Speaker 9: Or even in New York.
Speaker 7: And it's cool that, Kim.
Speaker 8: Yes, Mother, Kim, listen to me. I've laid up my mind. I'm staying here.
Speaker 6: It's mother. I don't understand.
Speaker 8: Of course you don't. How could you listen to, Kim?
Speaker 10: Listen to that.
Speaker 8: I can hear the caliza playing for miles around, up and down the river. The little Rider will be twilight, that's the most exciting hour of the day, and begin to light to land inside the auditorium, and the search lights along the bluffs, and people start coming in down to the landing, along the river banks, down the road, the farmers and their wives, other folk, hangers on, and by seven they'll all be here. There won't be an empty seat. Crops has been good around Oliver good here. Even the boxes will be filled, and then presently the show will start. It hasn't changed, Kim, It hasn't changed.
Speaker 7: The tolls.
Speaker 3: Been years since Nola Ravenol was Magnolia Hawks. The rage of the River, the sensation of the century, the queen of the cotton blossom, the cotton blossoms, that's what Captain Andy's showboat is called. Green trimmings and gold letters A foot high. Captain Andy Hawks cotton blossoms, floating palace theater I raising the company, not counting the crew. Andy Hawks himself captain and owner, with thirty five years experienced on keelboats, steamboats, packets and showboats.
Speaker 2: A little nervous, wiry.
Speaker 4: Man with a horrible habit of clawing and scratching in his whiskers.
Speaker 2: Hung like brushes just below its white cambon's cap.
Speaker 3: There was his wife, Flathinia and Hawk's, a bulky, frigid female with a long horse face and a New England passion for discipline. There was Julie Doser with a rich, deep voice. There was old Windy Pilot and George Schultz and the rest of them.
Speaker 4: Year after year the cotton blossom floated down.
Speaker 3: The rivers started out in April and got back in September, and year after year they gave.
Speaker 2: The same place.
Speaker 3: East Lynne's Lady, Audley's Secret Tempests and Sunshine mad Cap Marjorie, Uncle Tom's cabin year after year they grew more successful, and then one morning at mobile, cap'n Andy made a shocking discovery. In the night, his agen elite had packed her trunks and left left with a black mustached gambler who had.
Speaker 2: Followed her down the river from Paducah, Kentucky, and that afternoon the captain's cabin, a great battle was fought.
Speaker 3: Of the fate of the girl with a pale face and a large miles, whom America years later was to applaud under the name.
Speaker 2: Of Magnolia Ravenon. At this time, she was just sixteen and her name was Maggie Hawks my own.
Speaker 6: Daughter, an actress over my dead body.
Speaker 3: Hawks Anty, No, these ain't hanging around on trees now, sir, take us a week to get.
Speaker 4: One car in another week for her to learn her parts, and then maybe she won't be no gang.
Speaker 11: Good.
Speaker 4: Maggie could go in there tonight, she'd be great. I won't hear it now, party, are just working your tailboard. I'll be proud of stepping in saving us money. We got close up. If she don't rather have her in her grets, she knows all the parts.
Speaker 12: Why I ever allowed her to step foot on this filthy scowl with a lot of riff rafts that I wouldn't touch with a ten foot part.
Speaker 4: Listen here, party in your hawks. We got the biggest advance here we had this season. Yes, the doxdown says record and with both hands, if you had the least bit of comforting instead.
Speaker 3: Of sitting there whining and carrying on, you must see advanced three hundred, not anywhere near four o'clock.
Speaker 12: Oh well, have it your own ways, and it's no use arguing with you. But remember it's against my wishes and over my dead body, and if any.
Speaker 6: Harm comes of it, off, I'll know where the blame lays. Magnolia, Magnolia, Why ain't you on.
Speaker 13: The Saints rehearses?
Speaker 6: Do you think you'll be able to go on to night to he don't soon know?
Speaker 14: Rehearses Magnolia, The mysterious comedy.
Speaker 15: Tragedians here, the Believer, the rays of the River, the sensation of histories here, the.
Speaker 4: Night folks in the Possimos bright that fourth in unrivaled scenery, hand costume.
Speaker 15: Fire side, Mister George will Favorite from De Luce to New Orleans for ten years, leading player with mister Booth mister, and this is means and a score while the luminaries.
Speaker 2: After the show, there's a.
Speaker 4: Concert with singing and dancing and carting fifteen SAIDs extra.
Speaker 11: But it's worth it.
Speaker 3: It's worth it, ladies and gentleman, I can tell you, dear miss Julie Doser, fresh.
Speaker 4: From triumphs each to the latest number.
Speaker 16: From a repertore.
Speaker 11: Bring the children on one, Come on a cotton Russian trophy.
Speaker 16: It's just one, mag Ham.
Speaker 2: What have all your friendly with you?
Speaker 4: No, but friendship is too cold. A passion to start my heart now?
Speaker 13: Oh, give me a friend and cousin free heart, My.
Speaker 4: Dear Miss Trows, Miss Lucive.
Speaker 8: Oh please don't call me miss Browns.
Speaker 16: Lucive Sender.
Speaker 4: Will you feel poor Man's flies? Oh yes, yes, Lucy, my own albums, Oh for them?
Speaker 3: At pay the fifteen tents, you got a first rate concert first on the.
Speaker 15: Programmat and gentlemen, the world, the only, the inimitable Julie Dojor will render elated triumph.
Speaker 4: Me the song Toper Show, New York, The Botum Chair and the people Bolivar, the song that They're skilled crying at in Boston, Why No One in Love composed and written by mister Stephen Foster.
Speaker 11: Ladies and gents, Miss Humidota, no one.
Speaker 9: Who knows in the US, all of one and gride be lies ver is a wone.
Speaker 17: I'm nothing confine, but he's lovely.
Speaker 10: We need the blues color.
Speaker 17: No one love, no one who loy.
Speaker 13: No one who love?
Speaker 9: What have you done you that your high.
Speaker 13: One?
Speaker 16: Love?
Speaker 4: Strange woman.
Speaker 2: With a white face and the deep set, dark dead eyes. In the four years she was.
Speaker 3: On the Cotton Blossom, Magnolia got to like her better than anybody else in the world except Captain Andy. Maybe in the way she had a lot to do with what happened to Magnolia later years.
Speaker 13: Who is it, oh Magnolia?
Speaker 2: How can I come in?
Speaker 8: I couldn't go to the bar so excited.
Speaker 10: Come in and shut the door.
Speaker 8: Julie, listen, I'm gonna tell you something, and I want to ask you.
Speaker 6: Do you think I can ever be an actress? A real actress? I mean, who was sure? Honey?
Speaker 10: You were wonderful tonight. A little scared maybe, but oh jee, that loved you.
Speaker 8: My mamma doesn't want me to be an actress, not really.
Speaker 6: Besides, I'm not pretty. Mamma says, I'm not.
Speaker 10: Oh, when you smile, you are. You've got the loveliest smile I ever saw. How about Julie, listen to me, Magnolia. I'm going to tell you something. Only it's a secret. Yes, what when you grow up? Don't smile to Wolfson. That's whenever you want anything very much, unlike anyone or one thing.
Speaker 13: To like you smile.
Speaker 10: I guess maybe you'll learn that without me telling you. Well, good night, honey, Julie.
Speaker 13: I don't want to go yet.
Speaker 10: They'll be wondering where you are, and then Parsy'll be after it. Good night, good night, Julie.
Speaker 4: A year later, Julie was gone.
Speaker 3: She has in a way that Magnolia never forgotten. One morning they put in a morning Mississippi.
Speaker 2: It was late April. The cotton blossom is only a few weeks out of Saint Louis. On her way down the river.
Speaker 11: Hey Julie, Julie, Julie, Yeah, propping me, Julie.
Speaker 13: Can we come in, Julie.
Speaker 3: Jimmy talking here and them shaded down, say, Julie, I guess you got an admired in this town.
Speaker 6: What do you mean?
Speaker 3: Somebody tell your picture framing all right up out in the layout lobby, put up now there, Now that's going surely that's matter.
Speaker 13: Are you sick, Julie?
Speaker 4: All right, Julie, and I ain't that a shame? You can play all right tonight?
Speaker 2: Oh can't you?
Speaker 10: No, I can't play tonight.
Speaker 4: If you're sick, so old act. But it's your doctor.
Speaker 10: I'll be all right after a while.
Speaker 14: Fuck in the hawk.
Speaker 4: Oh here, I am potty down here in Julie's room.
Speaker 6: Come on doing down there, sitting around the gabbing. I'll wager with the best.
Speaker 12: Advanced saying we've had since we started out here.
Speaker 6: It is eleven o'clock and half the house gone already.
Speaker 4: I never played this town before. License soil is too high, and it's tied for some play acting.
Speaker 6: What's the matter with her?
Speaker 18: She's sick?
Speaker 6: Well, as long as you're all right last night, Julie.
Speaker 4: Say she won't be?
Speaker 18: Won't be?
Speaker 6: Why she ain't sick?
Speaker 19: Is she?
Speaker 6: I mean sick?
Speaker 8: Yes she is, Mama.
Speaker 6: Well what you're doing sitting here for mage? Go catch your doctor.
Speaker 10: I don't want a doctor.
Speaker 6: Persons too sick to play.
Speaker 5: They're sick enough to have it up there playing Xenia tomorrow, Buddha stands we got probably won't be able to open there either.
Speaker 4: If you're sick as all up.
Speaker 6: Well, i'll be able to stay tomorrow. How do you know I'll be all right?
Speaker 8: It's as soon as I get out of this town.
Speaker 12: That's funny, Worious, that's come over me, Julie. Yes, you took stick at this very town time we came down.
Speaker 6: River last year.
Speaker 4: That's so funny about that.
Speaker 12: Soon she heard we wasn't opening here because the license was too high, she got away all.
Speaker 6: Of a sudden. No, leave me alone, can't you? Well? I may not know why.
Speaker 3: I think a girl didn't have the right field, Ben, how far you get along hand of that ticket office?
Speaker 4: We can't shown. We gotta leave.
Speaker 6: No, sure you won't be feeling better of a night time, Julie.
Speaker 7: Oh, leave me alone?
Speaker 4: Can't you sure? Sure? Julie?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 16: Party scat you here?
Speaker 11: That's hose off on?
Speaker 4: What's that?
Speaker 16: God, Travin?
Speaker 4: Seems like there's something up, honey, mean.
Speaker 16: Sheriff outside on desk?
Speaker 2: What is it? Our license?
Speaker 4: Praates walking around here as anybody don't know what else?
Speaker 18: Seems like he wants to have a look at all the folks are boardings here.
Speaker 4: Ain't no state to be reasonable. Just that's him coming down now, all.
Speaker 11: Right, let him come he's getting to.
Speaker 17: Let him come down.
Speaker 16: Him telling you this?
Speaker 4: You where I am? What's wandering with him? Hawks? His name Captain Andy Hawk, funny.
Speaker 2: As in Rivers.
Speaker 4: Well, if who are you cheer for?
Speaker 3: This?
Speaker 13: Down?
Speaker 4: Understand?
Speaker 18: You got mixed color in your show?
Speaker 6: Mixed what's that?
Speaker 8: What do you mean?
Speaker 4: I'm hush, Maggie, I'll start stay on this boat. Maybe the negress is let's.
Speaker 18: See Julie doja? Yeah, which one's her? That me?
Speaker 4: You Julie dojom? Who's been telling you this stuff?
Speaker 18: Shir fella lives here? Seen a picture when you go to buy tickets to your show? This fella's as you was born here? That's right, Your mammy was colored.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, well.
Speaker 4: You've gone here now, Sheriff. But if you are, you can get out or have you got some more to say?
Speaker 20: No?
Speaker 18: I guess I'm done now I'll be going.
Speaker 21: Well then let me tell you this, cat Hawks, you better not try to give no show with mixed blood in this town and night.
Speaker 2: Just thought i'd worn yet.
Speaker 18: By cab Hawks.
Speaker 6: Bye, ma'am Maggie, you'll come away from here, you know I want to stay through it.
Speaker 10: No, you're not going to cry, honey. Why it's totally like toning, like I was going, going the way we do windows after we close the show, boots, it.
Speaker 8: Won't be coming back again when it's spirits.
Speaker 6: Oh and all business folks are always meeting up?
Speaker 13: Ain't that so? Capton? Yeah?
Speaker 4: I sure think, Maggie.
Speaker 12: Come on, Maggie, you got your practice in.
Speaker 13: March.
Speaker 11: I can't say you do.
Speaker 4: Well, Julie, what do we do?
Speaker 10: I'm going to Captain Andy, don't worry, I'm going.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, Julie. It's too bad. That's actus we haven't had us both a little better going. But things all peck Julie. Yes, I just wanted to fixed for money.
Speaker 9: I'm fixed, all right.
Speaker 6: I've been saving. You treated me wrong, can.
Speaker 8: I'd like to take it good bye.
Speaker 18: To make no if you don't mind, Julie.
Speaker 13: You know.
Speaker 2: You don't mean no harm.
Speaker 3: But well, yeah, she feels you and Maggie maybe shouldn't h I see, you know, women folks are funny that way.
Speaker 17: Okay, Well I guess I'm ready. Yeah, goodbye, goodbye, and thank you Captain, you've you've been awful good and.
Speaker 13: Captain till Magnorious goodbye.
Speaker 2: For me, sure will.
Speaker 4: Goodbye Julie.
Speaker 3: Years later, when Magnolia was married and living in Chicago, she saw Julie once again.
Speaker 2: Julia looked an old woman by then.
Speaker 3: She passed her on the street, and by the time the carriage had stopped, Julia disappeared.
Speaker 2: There could be no mistake about those deep, dark, dead eyes set.
Speaker 4: In that white face.
Speaker 2: After Julie had gone, life went on as usually on the cotton Bosom. Three months went by.
Speaker 3: They floated down the river Memphis, Vicksburg, Matchez, Baton Rouge, and then at the end of August they reached New Orleans. From there, a second disaster over took the cotton Bossom. The leading man left them. George Shultz came to the box office where Andy and Party were busy counting up before going ashore.
Speaker 2: It all very pale, but determined. He had a letter in his hand.
Speaker 18: I gotta go cat the o' go player.
Speaker 2: Well, what do you mean, shorty, It's from her, from my wife.
Speaker 18: She's in my hospital.
Speaker 22: Look, little Rocks had Kambling fellow left her.
Speaker 4: She ain't got a cent on a short See. I wouldn't do it for myself, no matter what.
Speaker 2: But it's her, captain, It's for her, not me.
Speaker 4: I gotta go.
Speaker 22: I tell her you can take up somebody here in New Orleans. There's a dozen better actors and me laying around the darks this minute.
Speaker 4: Well, I got to talk old.
Speaker 22: Fellow while ago down on the wall.
Speaker 4: I said I was an actor on the Cotton Blossom. He said he'd acted too.
Speaker 2: Maybe he'd like the.
Speaker 6: Job, Yes, those he would. What do you think? This is a bumboat? Where are your wharf rats in New Orleans?
Speaker 5: Would like nothing better?
Speaker 18: Ain't no wharf rat?
Speaker 22: Missus hawks there? He is down there yet, say a look at him? How about that stern wheeler there?
Speaker 3: I'd go ashore and talk to him, for I was you Hart here and that fellow down there in the brown shoe with the ellow.
Speaker 11: Canes, Yeah that's right.
Speaker 4: I couldn't gone and talk to him about acting on no show boat.
Speaker 12: He's he's a gentleman, maybe no, but feels like one with a quack in his shoe.
Speaker 6: Huh, Yes, he's got a quack in his shoe. I can see you from here. I can't say I like the looks to him especially, but we can't see choosers.
Speaker 13: Well, Hawks, what you're waiting for, a gentleman?
Speaker 16: What good fortune? Thank you? Tonight in the most magis a company of free arts. Every single on the Mississippi.
Speaker 15: Magnolia Hawks, you know her and you lover a favorite from the Loop and the Orleans and Fireside, the sensation of the century.
Speaker 4: The Ring of the River, mister Klord.
Speaker 19: Ravenel, that he and Magnolia should fall in love was inevitable.
Speaker 2: As the cosmic course. She'd never met a man like gay Lord raven Or Magnolia hadn't. He was the most handsome man she'd ever seen, in the best dressed, even though his clothes weren't new. Maybe it was.
Speaker 3: Because he was so clean and elegant that he seemed different, but it was more than that. Really, he had such nice ways, always polite and.
Speaker 2: Gentle, and doing little things that no man she ever knew would have bothered his head about.
Speaker 4: From the first day he came on board the Cotton Blossom.
Speaker 19: Everybody adored him, and everybody, that is, except carthy.
Speaker 12: Person that think he was the only juvenile left in the world. Matter of fact, I can't see where he's such great shakes of an.
Speaker 6: Actor, rolls those eyes that here's a.
Speaker 12: Good deal, and fox deep voiced, but got hands, whites a woman's and fusses with his fingernails.
Speaker 6: I'll wager if you look around New Orleans you'll find something queer for all.
Speaker 12: He talks the high about being a ravenel of Louisiana and his folks governors in the old days, and inscriptions about him in the church and what not. Shifty, that's what he is, mark.
Speaker 4: My word, best unally ever played the rivers. Never heard that haven't clean fingernails hurting?
Speaker 6: Actually, oh, it isn't death clean fingernails. It's everything. I can't bear the sight of him, collaborn and soft, soapie and sirk. He can get around a woman my age. Well, I'm worth a dozen of him when it comes to being smart. I wonder where he is? Now?
Speaker 4: What do you want with him?
Speaker 6: Don't want anything, just to know where he is. That's all he's.
Speaker 11: Inside, inside where he.
Speaker 6: Left him to stay alone with your child.
Speaker 4: Hen's party. What's the harm the gentleman listening to a little pianet of playing I like.
Speaker 6: To I'll do no such thing. And you won't either. Come long inside where we can keep an eye on the tour.
Speaker 16: You hear the hawks?
Speaker 4: All right, that's pretty tuni you friend there might go there.
Speaker 18: Yes, isn't it.
Speaker 6: She'd do better by it if she did more practice in I don't get time.
Speaker 8: What was rehearsing?
Speaker 14: Seemed to have time enough for all sorts of foolishness.
Speaker 5: If you ask me, yes, Papa, yes, Maggie, No, mister Ravenel was just telling me about being all the.
Speaker 8: Way to Paris.
Speaker 4: Are not sure?
Speaker 6: Yes, Paris as all sticks. I never even missed Chicago.
Speaker 4: It's not so much, but it has got some nice things about it. I was New York watched Oh there's a real time, Yes, bye with a girl.
Speaker 6: I'd stud enough tire of this sort of poppin Jay Tormy.
Speaker 4: You can listen to music party that see.
Speaker 12: You'll manage to get around the lock for a young man, mister Ravenel.
Speaker 6: Most folks would say it didn't look nice of you. Make sure takes the pile of money, don't it will?
Speaker 12: Whoa?
Speaker 13: However?
Speaker 6: Did you come by so much? Not by your action? I'll lay I would tell it Andy, just now, I don't see that are any great shakes.
Speaker 11: There's an actress seat.
Speaker 6: My body can take an interest in. A young man can't see hawks. I just say that most folks would have it that no young man could come buy so much money on it. Mama, eh, I think I grew a bit, and about time to come.
Speaker 4: In hawks A minute night.
Speaker 6: Mistagnolia, Come along, Maggie, come along.
Speaker 3: They floated down the river, hundreds of miles of willow fringed streams.
Speaker 19: Flowing blue in the sunlight, alives green in the shape wild honeysuckle, clamoring over black tree.
Speaker 3: Trunks, their unpainted cabins, the color of the sandy soil. Sometimes the river was a great broad stream rolling down to the sea, and sometimes it was a shallow, narrow stream, a little more than a cry.
Speaker 4: Through which the cotton blossom slowly.
Speaker 2: Sticking away cautiously.
Speaker 4: From town to town. It seemed no.
Speaker 3: Time at all before they played all the values, and on their way up the river again and back at.
Speaker 4: The docks in New Orleans fifty six.
Speaker 2: Very fast.
Speaker 4: And if I haven't huh, almost have you even changed her clothes?
Speaker 3: Hand me there's money laying around buttons, can't I banks letting on the side door afterwards, so I can thank who hated d oh gosh, all money man ain't going to turn out an unreasonable woman like your MAA yes.
Speaker 8: Where's mama?
Speaker 13: Isn't she ready either?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 4: She's ready all right, dressed up fit to kill. I don't know where she went though, So a while back, husting the show, I had a long talk of the sheriff and it flew up. The town can't go without it. And I just wasn't unrelaxed, you know, for six eight and.
Speaker 2: Oh how beautiful?
Speaker 1: Huh?
Speaker 4: What are you looking very beautiful yourself?
Speaker 2: Say a Ramna.
Speaker 4: Oh yes, Jeff money him up the suit of clothes you got there and taking the believers?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 6: Well, no.
Speaker 4: Give me turn no cause for that, Depp.
Speaker 21: First time you saw me, I was in temporary difficulty, this sort of thing that can happen to any gentleman.
Speaker 4: Now, as you can see, things are better, Yes, siree, I certainly can. And any what ramnel you, you stick with me and I'll raise it to twenty.
Speaker 2: Tie five.
Speaker 4: Thirty a week.
Speaker 13: Huh.
Speaker 4: They ain't a juvenile on the river has ever gone anywhere near that.
Speaker 21: Let's not talk money now, unless unless you'd like to advance me.
Speaker 2: Fifty for a week.
Speaker 4: Pressure, pressure Randall. Presently here, sir, thirty forty forty five.
Speaker 21: And what I really came in for was to ask if you and missus Hawks and miss Magnolia, yeah, would take dinner with me tonight.
Speaker 2: There's a restaurant dynam.
Speaker 4: Please Now, Maggie, you know your mind he's gone off.
Speaker 8: Nobody knows where to mister Ram. We're going to take a drive out of the lakeman have dinner. Sure hear me?
Speaker 6: He changes clothes. Is almost four o'clock.
Speaker 9: Probably is for Maggie.
Speaker 13: I don't care anything.
Speaker 6: About it's always going boating business and money.
Speaker 4: We're going just giving on a Surrey second too late to drive.
Speaker 8: And that's why I like this.
Speaker 4: If you trust me, Captain, I know where I can get a fine turnout. Yes that's the highest steppers.
Speaker 18: But see, sir, if we start right now, if.
Speaker 4: I can can I But Maggie, if your mind ever comes are here, you're not here?
Speaker 13: Is he heck?
Speaker 18: I don't see how in thirty much?
Speaker 21: Well we meet your chick for dinner and then't want to ant. Come on, yes, miss Magill, I'm coming good afternoons.
Speaker 2: Right fifteen.
Speaker 4: Twenty five fifty and a seventy h seventy two seventy. Oh what is it?
Speaker 13: Hawks?
Speaker 6: But with me own eyes, I tell you I thought, what's.
Speaker 4: Wrong with your woman? Gone king crazy?
Speaker 6: He's a gambler and the murderer.
Speaker 3: A gambler and the murderer he is for two fansie murder? You come how and the young man's trying to run his business.
Speaker 12: Listened to me, you fool, I didn't the chief of police and the perfect gunson.
Speaker 6: If ever there was one, And he's killed a man?
Speaker 4: Chief police, kill the man?
Speaker 11: What man?
Speaker 13: Ravenel?
Speaker 12: Ravenels killed a man good heaven, twin year ago, right in this very town.
Speaker 4: Oh well, I didn't hang him, didn't they hang ho Ravenel? Why no?
Speaker 6: Said he shocked himself to hen point?
Speaker 4: Killed Let him go?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 4: What's that proof?
Speaker 7: Hey?
Speaker 4: Prooves are your right? You don't it?
Speaker 13: All right?
Speaker 19: What of it?
Speaker 13: What of it?
Speaker 6: This seventy minutes? Your own daughter is out with a murderer?
Speaker 2: What missus?
Speaker 4: Hawk's man? When I was nineteen, I killed a man, And for twenty five years and more I've been as respected that hey party, what oh there fish to me? Sho many fish and water party expeded.
Speaker 1: You are listening to the Campbell Playhouse presentation of show Boats, starring Margaret Sullivan and Austin Wells with Helen Morgan and authoress Edna Ferber. This is the Columbia Broadcasting System. This is ernest chappel, ladies and gentlemen, welcoming you back to the Campbell Playhouse, and a moment or two we will resume our presentation of Edna Ferber's show Boats. This is the story of a glorious institution, now all but vanished from our American teams. The great days of the showboard are passed, gone, with the customs and manners of a more leisurely aided. How times it changed since those days. Dining then was an event many courses. It's started with a great gleaming turin of savory hot soup and went on to the meat course, with many skide dishes and finally some substantial desserts.
Speaker 4: We and our day have modified.
Speaker 1: Our hue of eating, a new knowledge of what is good for us.
Speaker 4: As tempered our eating habits, soup has held its own.
Speaker 1: Indeed, today soup is not only enjoyed as an opening course, but also as the main dish of many lighter meals. Knowing this, women welcome the fact that good soups are readily available in red and white labeled.
Speaker 4: Cans marked Cambells. Delicious soups they are too.
Speaker 1: Chicken gumbo, hearty vegetable soup, bean with bacon soup, chicken noodle. These and many more Cambells make in the time honored home made way.
Speaker 4: How many of you tried in your home?
Speaker 1: Now we resume our Cambell play ours presentation of show Boats, starring Arsonwells and Margaret Sullivan with Helen Morgan and authoress Edna Ferbert.
Speaker 2: I know is you may remember.
Speaker 3: Never remembered very clearly what happened that afternoon. Gay Lord raven Or.
Speaker 19: Drove her far out into the country to a little church with.
Speaker 3: A graveyard, and they got out of the carriage and walked around under the trees, and they were graved there with the names of Ravenel on them.
Speaker 19: That's what he said, father and grandfather, and way back beyond there, he said.
Speaker 3: And she didn't remember much about the ride back to town, at dinner or anything after a showtime except gaze smiling at her and smiling.
Speaker 2: Back at him.
Speaker 6: Fox that murder of gold ride the hole.
Speaker 4: That's fine, all passy.
Speaker 6: You can tell him tonight.
Speaker 4: He's the best juvenile he'd ever played the rivers. Now that seems beginning.
Speaker 6: Willing to sacrifice your own daughter? Are you for the sake of a few dollars?
Speaker 4: Sacrifice? Just letting her speak civil too? A handsome young feller there.
Speaker 6: Watch now, just see him out there looking.
Speaker 4: That one's time? If you didn't you.
Speaker 6: Mean to tell me you see your own daughter married woman?
Speaker 4: Can't a man look at the girl and out of him to marry her?
Speaker 9: To marry her?
Speaker 4: I was a girl like Maggie, I'd run off with him, That's the true. She had any spirit left after you dellen a for eighteen years.
Speaker 6: She George, that's right, put IDs in her head.
Speaker 9: How do you know who he is?
Speaker 6: He says he is.
Speaker 4: Did he show her the church?
Speaker 13: Oh?
Speaker 6: Hawks here? I could show your gravestones.
Speaker 12: I could say my name was Bonypart and show your Napoleon's tomb.
Speaker 6: But that wouldn't make him my grandfather, would it?
Speaker 4: Hoops? Hoops? Who would allowed people out for the kid?
Speaker 16: Hear the shoe?
Speaker 4: I shall and listen to the show.
Speaker 6: Bob, have all your friends?
Speaker 4: Is that is you?
Speaker 6: Ma is gonna make andersend you away?
Speaker 13: No?
Speaker 4: But friendship is too cold a passion to sun my heart?
Speaker 6: Now will you come with me?
Speaker 13: Oh?
Speaker 6: Give me a friend in preference to a sweetheart.
Speaker 16: Oh can I my.
Speaker 2: Dear miss Brown?
Speaker 16: Miss Lucy, Oh, don't call me wrong? When Lucy?
Speaker 4: Where do we take me?
Speaker 19: There?
Speaker 17: The thunder of the fatherlist that fright?
Speaker 4: Will you be a poor man's bride? Dumb?
Speaker 13: Oh?
Speaker 4: Lucy, my own?
Speaker 16: I know you, for Heaven's sake.
Speaker 18: Take your time.
Speaker 2: The minister will wait here.
Speaker 4: Where did you think you were going?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 4: You were fired.
Speaker 22: I don't know.
Speaker 8: I just aspring Mamma, right, I'll ask me.
Speaker 4: Did you see he lived the boat?
Speaker 6: I think so?
Speaker 18: And here I've got my breath.
Speaker 6: Come on, let's go in and get married.
Speaker 2: Hold on a minute, we've got to be engaged.
Speaker 4: First engaged, of course.
Speaker 18: Give me a hand the other one, stilly, we've been married.
Speaker 11: Don't gage anything.
Speaker 6: I'm so excited. Okay, diamond, you like it?
Speaker 13: Who's so beautiful?
Speaker 8: I've never seen one before.
Speaker 13: Just look at the senders to it.
Speaker 4: It's nothing to do with the senders to you. Crazy, You don't I get a kiss?
Speaker 13: Mean?
Speaker 6: God daylight right here in the minister's front yard.
Speaker 8: Why, well, of course we are getting married.
Speaker 13: Well, hawks, now, I hope you are satisfied.
Speaker 3: Those were the first words she said when she heard they were married, just the first words. She didn't stop talking for ten whole days. And she finally did let up a little because it's well, because she.
Speaker 4: She was tired.
Speaker 2: She just worn herself out. And when the baby came, they called a Kim.
Speaker 3: It was the captain's idea, because she was born on the river while the cotton Bossom was riding a store near the borderlines.
Speaker 4: Of Kentucky, Illinois Missouri. K I am.
Speaker 3: Then when Kim was too, the captain on a new boat at a built in Saint Louis with the new fangled arrangement instead of the kerosene lamps for footlights, and she was called cotton Blossom too. It was April before she was ready, late in the year to start down river. This captain didn't care. He wanted to try the new boat.
Speaker 13: No.
Speaker 4: Sooner they started and the rains.
Speaker 2: Began, They got as far as Matches and turned started.
Speaker 4: Up stream again.
Speaker 3: Then only one morning before dawn, only a few miles out of Cairo.
Speaker 2: A squaw caught them the wall.
Speaker 4: The course of Magnonia's life had been changed.
Speaker 16: Hey, like we're lost on morn.
Speaker 4: I think we lost him.
Speaker 13: Morn.
Speaker 16: You gotta get some pos on gates come along.
Speaker 15: Yeah, no, yeah, you better get them.
Speaker 13: I'll be.
Speaker 6: That you and i'd know.
Speaker 13: Quiet Mama came to sleep.
Speaker 2: Hell do Maggie?
Speaker 6: Whinny's everything all right? So quiet?
Speaker 8: Suddenly?
Speaker 18: Yeah, soon as daylight came, the squarell quieted right down?
Speaker 6: Who is everything all right?
Speaker 4: He got off the snag If that's what you mean.
Speaker 8: There's something wrong?
Speaker 13: What is it?
Speaker 9: Where's Papa?
Speaker 4: Well he was bobbing around the deck.
Speaker 18: Of course he had no business given orders. That was my job as a pilot.
Speaker 4: But he always did that, ma'am. I never minded it.
Speaker 6: What's happened to Papa? Where he had to be the pasted channel on.
Speaker 18: The river tools he was leaning over, trying a snacker. He was dark, and the rain and all of whinny what happened? He was gone before we could get to Maggie. And with the rain of the dark and the current, we did all we could. Ain't no use, not in this part of the river.
Speaker 6: He's dead.
Speaker 7: Luggy he did.
Speaker 3: With Andy gone, things were different, might have worked out for a while if Farsenia Hawks hadn't been what she was. The first to go was the pilot of Wendy McLean about a month after Andy died.
Speaker 13: Hill.
Speaker 6: Now what do you mean? Yeah, I'm speaking to you, Indy McClean.
Speaker 12: If I've had those steps to the pilot house scrubbed, what's five hadmscrubbed ten times?
Speaker 6: This week?
Speaker 16: We'll the mare with him?
Speaker 4: What's the look him.
Speaker 6: All muddied up? What's that side ladder for her? I'd like to know I've.
Speaker 4: Told her before this shalks meim, I'm no hired hen I.
Speaker 15: Worked with Andy Hawk's twenty five years.
Speaker 6: Hey, you don't, I and good say it is so?
Speaker 4: Where the thing is?
Speaker 18: You can't run a boat like you were a kitchen.
Speaker 6: Well, I'm not going to have it.
Speaker 12: You traced in all of what's picking your filthy toback and leaving money tracks?
Speaker 4: Ma'am, Well you're a Hawk's witter.
Speaker 6: No need to remind me.
Speaker 4: That's why I said I'd go.
Speaker 18: On working the same as if Andrew was alive.
Speaker 6: Have you'd no mind to stay on? There was nobody began.
Speaker 18: I figured Meg his husband be the boss.
Speaker 6: Well, I'm running this boat.
Speaker 4: Fact is, ma'am, I.
Speaker 18: Ain't no petticoat pirates. Fact is, I guess I lost my taste for Rivers since cap went. Lost my nerve too.
Speaker 4: I guess I'm through.
Speaker 11: Hm.
Speaker 6: Your money will be at the office.
Speaker 18: For you, say, ma'am.
Speaker 2: I can't stand this.
Speaker 18: I'm sick of the scar and everything that goes with it.
Speaker 2: I'd just crims.
Speaker 4: How crazy, Magnolia. I'm no heck, I don't belong here.
Speaker 21: If I hadn't happened to see you the day your father offered me.
Speaker 3: A job, I wouldn't be here now, are you sorry?
Speaker 13: Gay?
Speaker 4: It's the only luck I've ever had that lasted, Magnolia. What we ought to do is to kill out of here.
Speaker 2: You've got something coming to you from your father.
Speaker 6: We could very ready you to get in so hard and fast about Mamma.
Speaker 8: Listens, Yes, you were just wondering now that Papa's well, Oh, maybe it wasn't crazy trying to go on.
Speaker 4: What do you want?
Speaker 6: Haven't leave the rivers? Why not, Mama? And what's to become the captain blossom? Though I don't know.
Speaker 8: We'll have to talk about it.
Speaker 6: We are talking about it now. Listen here. Magnolia Fox left no will just like him. I've got as much, say as you, mammas. Is my share in this boat? I want it? You mean money?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 6: What would you have me do? Sell boat right out from under me?
Speaker 21: Captain Andy left insurance and he had money in the bank. It's enough for you to buy Magnolia's share and the show boots if you want it.
Speaker 6: What will you do with the money?
Speaker 5: Oh, Gay will probably invested in some disness, yes, monkey Disneys.
Speaker 2: I'm leaving here. I've had enough.
Speaker 6: What about Magnolia and her child?
Speaker 4: They can come or stay. That's one hundred the tide.
Speaker 18: I'll be taking no Gay.
Speaker 6: Well, now you see walking right off and leaving you come back here, child.
Speaker 12: I'll give you the money, but mind, don't you come sniveling back to me.
Speaker 6: When it's gone and you and your child having a penny to bless yourself with. But that's what it'll come to in the end.
Speaker 13: My work wouldn't come to you for help.
Speaker 8: Not if I was starving.
Speaker 4: To Disney Kid show, there's worse things than starving.
Speaker 6: I wouldn't come to you, no matter what you will just the same. I'll take my oath on that, and remember this. When he's run through every penny of your money and even's looks to me for more, you can come back to the boat, you and the child.
Speaker 13: I'll look for you, but him.
Speaker 3: Never nothing was too good, Gay Lord Ravenal. That first went and they lived in Chicago. They had a suite at the Sherman House, a nurse maid for Kim, a pair of English hackneys to drive into the races in the afternoon at the theater.
Speaker 2: In the evening that went of.
Speaker 3: The first time Magnolia tasted Champagne, wore sables, sat in the box at who Is, and saw the Houci couci dance.
Speaker 4: The World's Fair was all.
Speaker 3: Very pleasant and luxurious and strange, almost like a dream. And through it all Gay was beside her, handsome and elegant and thoughtful.
Speaker 4: Laughing at her wide eyed enjoyment.
Speaker 2: And then one day.
Speaker 4: Suddenly the money was gone pretty good. I'm sorry, Magnolia, I haven't got it.
Speaker 8: See darling, Eve mean you haven't got one hundred dollars.
Speaker 6: You're that green velvet dress you like so much. You told me to get it.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 8: This is the third time they sent the bill to wall to give me the money.
Speaker 6: I'll wad to check if your brother.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you I haven't got it.
Speaker 8: Magnolia, Well, tomorrow will do, but please be sure to marrowt you.
Speaker 4: I can't be any sure tomorrow than I am today.
Speaker 2: We haven't got one hundred dollars in the world, and that's a fact.
Speaker 6: But darling, we had thirty thousands. I know.
Speaker 2: Afraid it's gone.
Speaker 4: I've been running bad luck for weeks, bad luck.
Speaker 13: But what gay.
Speaker 4: Pharaoh day?
Speaker 13: We had?
Speaker 6: Thirty thousand dollars.
Speaker 4: Don't last forever, my dear. Besides, last week I took a flyer fire, yes, sir, a tip on the market, the stock market, the stocks the way.
Speaker 2: You wouldn't understand magnolia.
Speaker 6: But all of it gay. You didn't lose all of it on the market.
Speaker 4: Well, no, some of it on the market.
Speaker 2: Some of it it fell.
Speaker 6: How much gay her?
Speaker 13: Let's oh, what.
Speaker 4: Does it matter's gone?
Speaker 6: The gay? How much it so?
Speaker 13: Few?
Speaker 4: Thousand?
Speaker 6: How many?
Speaker 13: Five?
Speaker 2: Yes? Five more than five gays? Well, year's ten? Probably, I don't remember. Magnolia.
Speaker 4: What does it matter? How it's gone?
Speaker 2: It's gone.
Speaker 3: Once a month came a letter from party No more or less. It came addressed in a firm small hands of the Sherman house.
Speaker 12: Crops are pretty good, so business is according I put up great jail last week, a terrible job.
Speaker 6: But I can't buy this sort stuff, no real rates in it.
Speaker 5: Well, I pose you to Silas for the cutting blossom by now, and Kim never hears of it.
Speaker 6: I got the pictures, you sense.
Speaker 12: I think she looks kind of picked up four hours a night, I suppose, and no proper food.
Speaker 6: Never heard of such a thing. Well, I will close, as Goodness knows.
Speaker 12: I have enough to do without writing letters where they're probably not wanted. The Still, I like to know how you and the child are doing, and all your mother Parthenia and hawks, dear mother.
Speaker 7: Gay is more than good to me.
Speaker 6: I have a rich wish for a thing, and it is mine.
Speaker 8: Everyone says Kim is unusual at all and right for her age.
Speaker 10: Gay speaks of a trip to Europe next year.
Speaker 8: I have a new fur coat. He's very good to me.
Speaker 6: Never an unkind word.
Speaker 7: You're very very happy. Love.
Speaker 6: I agno you.
Speaker 2: Magnola and raven Or moved.
Speaker 3: The first of those endless changes that mark their life in Chicago.
Speaker 4: For the next twelve years.
Speaker 3: They left the prush and ice water, fresh linen and rich food and luxurious service of the Sherman House moved to a shabby family hotel sort of actors boarding house in the North Side, just across the Clark Street Bridge in Ontario.
Speaker 2: This was in walking distance of the places Gay said, and by places she.
Speaker 3: Knew that he meant Jeff Hankins and Mike McDonald's and Prince Varnell's and other establishments on Gambler's Row.
Speaker 2: Where he spent his days every day for twelve.
Speaker 3: Years, and always it was famine or plenty, no middle ground. Sometimes a bad street would last for weeks.
Speaker 2: First the Malacca cane would go day had a reputation for.
Speaker 3: Paying his debts, and Ravenov's King was always worth a few hundred dollars as a pledge.
Speaker 2: At one of the pawn shops near Clark Street.
Speaker 3: And then next some of the fine English clothes would vanish, and last, always last a diamond engagement ring. There were times when even the Ontario Street hotel became an impossible luxury that meant rock bottom.
Speaker 2: Then it was that they took a room at three dollars.
Speaker 3: A week, in a frowsy rooming house on Ohio Street, the three of them in one room and boil coffee and eggs and cooking over the gas jet. And every day around noon gay Lord went down to the street elegance is ever freshly shaved his gloves on his hands, and headed south towards clock.
Speaker 4: Good night.
Speaker 3: When he returned, sometimes long after.
Speaker 4: Midnight, Magnolia, the Magnolia.
Speaker 11: What did he come on?
Speaker 4: Magnolia? We're leaving this rightch nest.
Speaker 18: Hurry, we're telling not now.
Speaker 5: You don't mean to night.
Speaker 21: No, you only take a minute.
Speaker 2: I'll wake up the landlady you.
Speaker 8: Oh no, no, I'd rather do it myself. Oh will Kim's asleep.
Speaker 6: Cad, we wait until morning.
Speaker 21: No, we're going to night this minute. Come on, hurry and it is killing Magnolia six.
Speaker 2: Thousands and here here's you're in?
Speaker 13: Where we're going?
Speaker 6: German house?
Speaker 21: Or would you like to try the autotomium for a change room overlooking the laker?
Speaker 4: How'd you like that?
Speaker 13: Ya?
Speaker 4: Next week we'll run down to West Beton.
Speaker 2: Do us good.
Speaker 4: During the day we can walk.
Speaker 9: And drive or ride.
Speaker 4: You'll will learn to ride Magnolia. In the evening we can take a whirl at my Samtic's place.
Speaker 8: Oh, darling, don't play there, not much.
Speaker 6: I mean, let's try to keep it.
Speaker 4: We have no since, may as well give Sam a chance to pay our expenses.
Speaker 21: Remember the last time we were down, I won a thousand dollars at row let alone.
Speaker 2: And that's not my game.
Speaker 11: Kay?
Speaker 18: Yes, no day, I want to talk to What does it have to be now?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 13: Day?
Speaker 16: Listen?
Speaker 6: Do we have to go on like this?
Speaker 4: Darling?
Speaker 6: Haven't you been listening.
Speaker 4: I'm in the money, we're moving out of yet what more do you want, David?
Speaker 8: Just everything one day and nothing the next. We ought to be living in a house, a little house where it's quiet and peaceful and king can play like other children.
Speaker 4: Now, don't get dramatic magnolia.
Speaker 21: By heavens see besides, we've had that all out the force, So why can't we do it?
Speaker 8: Why can't we live like other people? In between? Enough another, this horrible worrying about tomorrow.
Speaker 13: I can't bear.
Speaker 4: You should have married a plumber.
Speaker 21: Come on, Magnold, you get your things, Pagnisco, I've got a carriage waiting down stairs.
Speaker 4: Then came a bad streak that lasted longer than the others.
Speaker 3: A cane was gone, the English suits, Magnolia's Diamond Green. They've been in the rooming house in Ohio Street now for three months.
Speaker 11: Kay, you early.
Speaker 4: That stuffed in at the Sherman House.
Speaker 2: Let it well for you.
Speaker 7: Oh it's for mama, yea, Kay, Morman's coming coming here.
Speaker 8: Yes, listen, I've never been to Chicago. I want to see the stockyards, a grand opera house, from the sun at Temple Marshall Fields, Lincoln Park and the Chicago River. I'll put up at the Sherman House where you are providing. It's not too expensive, and I want you to go. To understand, I mean to pay my own way. I'll not be holding to any living soul. Well, we'll have to move back day to.
Speaker 6: The Sherman House.
Speaker 8: That's where she thinks we live now.
Speaker 7: No, today, we haven't any choice.
Speaker 4: And I haven't any money.
Speaker 18: You've got to borrow on what security.
Speaker 8: I don't need business borrowing. They're your friends, all those men man the minute, those places.
Speaker 6: The men you've known for so many years.
Speaker 18: Those scamblers, they've all been kind to borrow for me.
Speaker 8: But Mike McDonald, Hankins, Vonnell, we've all that thousands of dollars for all the money we brought to Chicago.
Speaker 6: Want to give some of it.
Speaker 18: Back right now?
Speaker 2: You're you're pricey.
Speaker 4: There's nobody like you. Gee, how can you.
Speaker 2: Act like that?
Speaker 8: And you know how serious it is. I'm not going to have Mama come here.
Speaker 6: And see us living like this.
Speaker 8: I'm not going to do it.
Speaker 10: You think for a minute I would.
Speaker 8: What are you going to do about it?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't know, darling, but I'll do something. I've been in holes as deep as this and managed to crawl out.
Speaker 2: I'll do something.
Speaker 3: That was the last time she heard his voice. Next morning, when she left the house, he was still sleeping. It was the day she went to school to see Kim, who was winter and it was dark in the streets.
Speaker 4: By the time she got home.
Speaker 3: The door of her room was locked, and she opened it before she'd delighted to guess.
Speaker 2: She thought the room was empty, deserted.
Speaker 4: On the dress.
Speaker 2: There was an envelope her name honored him raping her with knee delicate head.
Speaker 4: I know you're darling.
Speaker 8: I'm going away for week. That was turning your mother's school. Oh I'm not send boy, you'll find three hundred dollars for you on the shelf of the clock.
Speaker 6: Should be enough for two weeks in the way.
Speaker 13: I love always.
Speaker 7: Okay, I don't think, Kim.
Speaker 8: It's a long story. Oh Nolla, No, don't.
Speaker 6: Say that, Kim.
Speaker 7: I'm not sorry.
Speaker 8: I'm not sorry if anything I ever did in my whole life in a lot of places.
Speaker 6: I've seen a lot of.
Speaker 8: Things, but in the end, this is where I belonged. I love it, the rivers, the people, the show boats, and my life here.
Speaker 10: I don't know why it's.
Speaker 16: Bad in me.
Speaker 6: I suppose that's Kim.
Speaker 8: I do know why your grandfather died when you were too little to really know him.
Speaker 6: You and well, Kim, you'd note wise.
Speaker 3: This concludes the Campbell Playhouse presentation of Edna Ferber's Showboat, starring Margaret Sullivan, Austin Wells, Helen Morgan, and the authoress herself. Thiss Ferber has something special to say to us tonight.
Speaker 18: And in just a moment, Austin Wells will bring her back to the microphone.
Speaker 2: In the meantime, here.
Speaker 4: Is Ernest Chapel.
Speaker 1: When you taste Campbell's vegetable soup, I'm sure your verdict will be the same as that of millions of others who agree it is so good that it's a waste of time and energy to go to all the trouble of making vegetable soup at home. You can prove it by serving this great family favorite tomorrow. And if there are children at the time, I know they'll show you by their busy spoons for a big hit it makes with them too, And while they're enjoying it, they'll be getting the nourishing benefits of fifteen fine garden vegetables. If you have thought there never could be another vegetable soup as good as the homemade kind, then this is important. Campbell's vegetable soup is made the good home way, from the simmering of its invigorating beef stock to the careful blending and cooking.
Speaker 4: Of its vegetables.
Speaker 1: It's so good and so substantial that it's almost the meal in itself, the kind of vegetable soup you'd expect from the finest foam soup kettle. Why not try it tomorrow? Remember to ask your grocer for Campbell's Vegetable soup.
Speaker 3: And now Ursonwells brings you his guests to this evening, ladies and gentlemen, I think you know everybody here. Margaret Sullivan, who is Magnolia, whom you've seen so many times in movie houses and in theaters, giving so many fine performances, is our guest on the Cambel play House for the fifth time. In fact, the last thing she did before she was Bridget Heywood Heyward's mother, which she is, was the if you remember the nameless heroine of our radio version of Rebecca, Miss Sullivan.
Speaker 2: It's very nice of you back.
Speaker 6: It's nice to be back, mister Wells.
Speaker 8: It always is.
Speaker 2: I know you know Miss Morgan, and I know you love her just as much as I do.
Speaker 4: Ladies and gentlemen, Helen Morgan.
Speaker 10: Mister Wells, thank you for another chance to play Julie. I suppose I know Shoebote about as well as here anybody. May I tell you it has never seemed more real.
Speaker 6: To me than tonight.
Speaker 3: It's more than You're very kind and now, ladies and gentlemen, because Miss Edna Ferber made her debut tonight as an actress, and as you will agree, a very good actress at that, in the role of Parthy Hawks, And because she wrote show Bolt and should have something interesting to tell us about it. I've vanished all banter and van denage from our customary after piece.
Speaker 2: And asked to take the floor and say what she will.
Speaker 4: He said, Miss fibber.
Speaker 6: To day in nineteen thirty nine, I never could have written show Boat. I am too agonized at what I see and hear in the world about me. Showboat carries no message.
Speaker 5: It is just a romantic novel about a rather glamorous phase of American life.
Speaker 6: Since it was written in nineteen twenty six and this is nineteen thirty nine, there must be in it equality that strikes a sympathetic chord. It never could have been written in a war torn world. A writer should feel free to write as he pleases, and in these times he's deprived of that feeling. Those millions of you here in America who.
Speaker 5: Have chuckled over Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer, those of you who have thrilled that majestic piece of prose, the Gettysburg Address, who have read and heeded the wise sayings of Benjamin Franklin, whose pulses have quickened to the beat and march of Walt Whitman's poems. If you love these things and believe in their beauty and worth. Save them for long, Long after the rulers of people are dead, the literature of a country lives on you, who are listening to the orson Wells Program tonight.
Speaker 6: Make up your minds what kind of world you want for your children. Walt Whitman told you. Listen to what he said.
Speaker 9: Long too long.
Speaker 6: America.
Speaker 20: Traveling roads all even and peaceful, You learn from joys and prosperity only, But now, ah, now to learn from crises of anguish, advancing, grappling with direst faith and recoiling nut.
Speaker 6: Now to conceive and show to the world what your children are. Must really are. Traveling roads all even and people.
Speaker 5: You learn from joys and procterity only, But now, ah, now to learn from crises of anguish, advancing, grattling with direst faith and recoiling nut.
Speaker 12: Now to conceive and show to the world what your children really are.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Miss Further, and thanks to you, Miss Sullivan and Miss Morgan. Please come back to us again on the Campbell
Speaker 2: Play House whenever you will