Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI A M six forty, The Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness.
Speaker 1: That guy who faked his own death the kayaker in Wisconsin. Apparently he's back and he's in custody. He came back on his own because of his family. I thought that was the reason he left in the first same, same, same. It must have been a different reason. Maybe he ran out of fresh underwear or something. He was in Eastern Europe. He'd done it. He had faked his own death. He was living his life, he was free of the kids. Now he's back.
Speaker 3: Well, the heart wants what the heart, heart.
Speaker 2: Wants, fresh underwear.
Speaker 3: We will talk the latest.
Speaker 4: Coming up, we'll talk about the latest news we know about Luigi Mangioni. Apparently officials now have the notebook that detailed plans for the shooting and even included a logical breakdown of water. He didn't want to blow up Brian Thompson with a bomb and instead chose to shoot him on the streets of Manhattan.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm.
Speaker 1: Always torn between airing out the manifesto and the reasons why, because I don't want them to have oxygen. But at the same time, I'm such a curious person of what led to somebody acting like this, especially when they were born on third base.
Speaker 4: A couple of weird events involving members of Congress. Congresswoman Nancy Mace was allegedly assaulted at the Capitol by a man who is now in custody. She shared on social media that she was physically accosted by what she said was a pro transman protesting the congresswoman's controversial comments on transgender rights. And then also Marjorie Taylor Green announced that a woman died in a car crash.
Speaker 3: With a bomb squad.
Speaker 4: The bomb squad was speeding to Marjorie Taylor Green's house because of a false alarm an email threat of a bomb inside her mailbox, and as the bomb squad was racing to her house, they got into an accident with this woman in Georgia, a woman named Tammy Pickle Seimer, what a name, ended up being killed Pickle Seimer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so just very weird stories.
Speaker 4: We got updates just a short time ago regarding the Franklin fire burning over in Malibu.
Speaker 5: As of this morning, the Franklin fire has burned approximately three thousand, nine hundred and eighty three acres and is.
Speaker 3: Seven percent contained.
Speaker 5: This is a thirty nine percent increase in acreage overnight. One five hundred and thirty two fire personnel are assigned to the incident and crews are working tirelessly around the clock to establish containment lines and defend structures.
Speaker 1: Seven percent is a containment number I've never seen in twenty five years of covering fires.
Speaker 4: Well, I think what it is is, it's just it's a it's an indication of how specific, how granular the information can be now compared to what it was before.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, If if this had been ten years ago, he would have he whoever it was, would have just said a very general round number because it was easier. But now they have very specific and detailed mapping that they can get.
Speaker 1: In other news, Dick van Dyke is still with us. I thought he was dead, and how he has become the face of the fire is kind of comical. He's ninety eight or ninety nine. He turns ninety nine this Friday. I thought Dick van Dyke died like circa twenty ten.
Speaker 4: No, it's just that he's slowed down a little bit, but I see him show up in tabloids all the time, a really huge table in the tabloids.
Speaker 3: Well, let me read though, Well for him.
Speaker 1: The first time I've heard you mentioned that you've seen him in the tabloids.
Speaker 4: The tabloids stories about Dick van Dyke are from still alive. It's not that he's having an affair, or he's fathered a child out of wedlock or anything. It's that he's still alive and goes shopping in Malibu every once in a while.
Speaker 1: Really, I so I read people every week, and I haven't seen you have seen that Dick van Dyke mentioned since the nineties.
Speaker 4: He's going to get a lot of play in the next couple of days because they're going to talk about his house. They're going to talk about what do you do when you're ninety nine? That kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Apparently I just checked on the tabloids. There is a video of him singing and dancing in a Cold Play video. Oh yeah, directed by Spike Jones. He sings, he dances barefoot, clicking.
Speaker 3: While you do.
Speaker 2: That was Dick van Dyke in what is he known for?
Speaker 3: Excuse me? The Dick Van Dyke Show.
Speaker 4: Maybe, Oh did you know. I'm sorry that, I mean it is before your time. I'll give you that Mary Poppins.
Speaker 2: Oh, is he the guy that was the dude in that?
Speaker 3: Yes, I never watched Mary Larry Poppins.
Speaker 1: I never watched Mary Poppins.
Speaker 4: And then he was in its whole series of probably sitcoms and dramatic comedy mystery shows or something like that.
Speaker 1: Oh, he was in the Carol Burnett Show and the New Dick Van Dyke Show, which ran seventy one to seventy four.
Speaker 2: I will see this one out.
Speaker 4: I don't remember him from Krol Barnette. He guest starred. Oh well, so he shows up every once in a while. Back to the fire, just very quickly, Chief Anthony Maroney in La County Fire.
Speaker 5: Last night, fire activity increased significantly along the western edge of the fire and began backing down into Corral Canyon, threatening the Malibu RV Park community.
Speaker 1: There you go, back to Dick. Yeah, okay, so bye bye Birdie. Chitty Chitty bang bang. These are all things that my mother would be well versed in, not me. I'm not saying that that makes me young. I'm just saying that I am ignorant when it comes to Dick van Dyke, and I will spend the day educating myself.
Speaker 3: So it's ignorant.
Speaker 4: That brings with it to sort of a connotation that maybe you should have known everything about Dick van Dyke, and I would not have expected that.
Speaker 2: Jacob and Keana, do you know who Dick van Dyke is?
Speaker 3: I know the name, how Kenna's not in the room.
Speaker 2: Okay, you know the name, all right?
Speaker 4: But if I were to show you a picture of six ninety eight year old men, would you be able to pick him out of a lot of chass?
Speaker 3: Dang?
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, understandable, I got it, completely understandable. The weather has fully cooperated with the firefighters when it comes to the Franklin fire. Now the official potentially dangerous situation red flag warning is up for another hour or so. Our normal red flag warning is up until six o'clock tonight. So we are not out of out of danger, you're just yet. But they have made some great progress in the temperatures today overnight et cetera have helped them significantly.
Speaker 1: Dick van Dyke just won an Emmy for a guest performance on Days of Our Lives. Oldest person to win a Daytime Emmy and the oldest to be nominated for one Wow.
Speaker 4: Speaking of fire, there was also a fire up in northern California destroyed one of the most famous homes up there, the Bidwell Mansion. I lived about one hundred yards away from the Bidwell Mansion in Chico. TV stations have been reporting that this structure that's about one hundred and sixty years old, caught fire at about three point thirty this morning and looks like it's going to collapse at any moment. It has been part of a state historical park for a long time, and it's been under restoration since May. But Bidwell Mansion in Chico looks like it's gone completely.
Speaker 1: Dick Van Dyke said of Donald Trump, I haven't been this scared since the Cuban missile crisis. Jacob, do you know what the Cuban missile crisis was?
Speaker 3: Yes? No, I know what it is.
Speaker 4: I'll show you six pictures of six international incidents in the last hundred years. You think you could pick out the human missile crisis.
Speaker 3: It's it's the one with Kennedy.
Speaker 1: All right, I'm going to close my Dick Van Dyke file. Okay, open your Luigi file. We'll talk about this big Luigi Mangioni file. What it's a big file. We know a lot about this kid because he didn't shut up online.
Speaker 4: And some of his roommates are talking too about what they would do for fun.
Speaker 1: Really, I haven't gotten into that that part.
Speaker 3: Of the file.
Speaker 4: It's kind of It shouldn't surprise you compared to what we've especially since what we've talked about about this guy already.
Speaker 1: But also going through somebody's book history and books they want to read, books they have read. It's very personal and intimate, isn't it.
Speaker 3: I've never thought of it that way.
Speaker 1: I haven't either until I went into his whole good Reads profile and I thought, Wow, I feel like I like know this. It's just books to me are very personal, interesting, and we know everything.
Speaker 2: We're going to have to build an AI desk.
Speaker 4: We did have a song at one point. I'm trying to find it again. Oh, is that really ominous? Like the storm clouds are brutes. It's going to end the world.
Speaker 1: So let's do that. We'll play that for you because we've got an AI story coming up in the next hour about Ai a companion, an AI companion telling somebody to kill their parents.
Speaker 3: Oh nice, carry Chaney. Is it wrong that every time he said Franklin fire, I think at the Peanuts and Charlie Brown Christmas and the music. Okay, maybe I'm a moral person, Thank you.
Speaker 1: Wasn't Franklin the name of the cat that the old man had to give away? And then he named his new cat Franklin the Robotic Cat?
Speaker 2: Yesterday?
Speaker 3: That does sound right. I don't remember yesterday.
Speaker 1: So yesterday we talked about the Franklin fire a lot, and we also talked about old people that have fake pets.
Speaker 3: Robotic pets.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we never found out about the fate of Franklin one, Like.
Speaker 2: What happened?
Speaker 3: Did it go? Sometimes?
Speaker 4: Twelve kill shelter cat was twelve? Oh well, if the cat was twelve, I think we kind of know what happened to Franklin.
Speaker 1: No, he had to give the cat away because the senior center didn't allow pets, which I think is.
Speaker 4: Give away the cat to God because God was like, it's time for Franklin to come home.
Speaker 1: No, yeah, no, Franklin was alive and well when he had to give the cat away.
Speaker 2: And what kind of senior home doesn't allow pets?
Speaker 3: Every senior home. Really, that's cruel.
Speaker 4: It's a healthcare facility. I can't bring my dog to the hospital.
Speaker 2: Why are you such a hardliner on this.
Speaker 3: I'm a rule follower. You know that.
Speaker 5: Hi, you too, longtime listener?
Speaker 6: And Shannon, have you not seen.
Speaker 4: Any of the Night at the Museum movies?
Speaker 7: Question Mark?
Speaker 1: No, period? I have not period. I want to see them though. Period.
Speaker 4: He played Cecil J. Fredericks. I don't remember that kids watched Night of Museum. That was kind of a that was in our It was in our lane at the right time, right.
Speaker 1: I think I was like in my early twenties or something, so I had no and no children.
Speaker 4: So in two thousand and six, yeah, you would have been early twenties, mid twenties, early, I'll say mid.
Speaker 3: Let's say early.
Speaker 2: Let's do that.
Speaker 3: Should we do that, Let's do that. We'll see.
Speaker 4: Three months after, she was blindsided by pictures of Don Junior enjoying an intimate brunch with another woman. The Don Junior Kimberly Gilfoyle engagement off.
Speaker 8: No way.
Speaker 3: I can't believe that you thought love was gonna last forever.
Speaker 2: God music, Oh, I believed in that romance.
Speaker 3: There's some tissue for you.
Speaker 4: Though for weeks he has been seen spending an increasing amount of time with Bettina Anderson, the socialites, the socialite, the it girl in Palm Beach, whould we say it?
Speaker 3: And then.
Speaker 4: Yesterday Press and Elect Trump made Kimberly Gilfoyle the Ambassador de Greece.
Speaker 3: Good for her.
Speaker 2: But that's a good, awesome, it's a good post. Yeah, that's a night.
Speaker 1: I would totally give up Don Junior for that ambassadorship.
Speaker 2: Have not had him in the first No, I would not.
Speaker 1: Have fingerprints found at the scene where the United Healthcare CEO was shot to death do match the suspects. According to police, there was a big narrative yesterday afternoon into the evening because everybody online, I swear to God, this story more than any that I can remember. Everyone is dug into this in terms of amateur sleuthing, more than I've ever remembered. And there was this narrative yesterday afternoon evening that they don't have the evidence. There's a big fight over his extradition. They weren't anticipating that, and why wouldn't they. This is somebody that comes from money. They're going to have the best lawyers I will be shocked if there's a conviction. And I know that's crazy to say, but for a number of reasons. Number One, the family can afford the best attorneys, sure. Number Two, that goes a lot further than you think it does, especially in terms of shady.
Speaker 2: Evidence like this.
Speaker 1: They wouldn't come out and say the fingerprints matched at this juncture if they weren't insecure about the evidence that they have against him. And number three, he has so much support among the eighty percent of people in this country who think the healthcare system is crap.
Speaker 4: To that end, the defense attorney has been getting calls from people offering to pay this guy's legal defense. This was the interview from CNN last time.
Speaker 3: We had seen.
Speaker 9: Reports earlier that there was you know, people were inundating you with offers to help pay for his legal bills.
Speaker 3: Is that accurate?
Speaker 9: I I have recent siege of emails.
Speaker 7: I have not seen him personally, but my understanding from my staff is people are doing that.
Speaker 9: The people are reaching out to you and offering to help pay for his legal bills.
Speaker 3: That's correct.
Speaker 4: So one of the former roommates of this guy that was interviewed last in the last couple of days regarding his time in Hawaii. Remember that supposedly when he injured or aggravated the injury that he had with his back that caused most of the problems lately. R. J. Martin is the roommate's name, said, one of the things they used to do for fun read the Unibomber's Manifesto.
Speaker 7: I actually proposed that we read. It's kind of half joke, but read the manifesto.
Speaker 1: We had a normal.
Speaker 3: Discussion debate around it.
Speaker 7: Nothing that stood out at the time, No anger, no a special affinity towards it, just you know, thought provoking discussion.
Speaker 4: The Unibomber Manifesto hits differently now in twenty twenty four than it did in nineteen ninety six.
Speaker 1: Well, he did have an expansive reading list, and there were a lot of titles in there, like Thomas Hate Book about disconnecting and the Anious, the Anxious Generation, and the disconnecting from phones, and how social media is harmful in all of those things. He also had a number of self help books that he publicly liked. I mean, I come from an era of if you have a self help book, you don't advertise it, kind of hide that stuff. But he One of the ones that's picking up steam today is that he was a fan of the New York Times bestseller Adult Children of Emotionally Immature Parents subtext how to heal from distant, rejecting or self involved parents.
Speaker 2: Couple things.
Speaker 1: The fact that this is getting a lot of traction bothers me because blaming the parent, blaming your parents for anything really is so freaking lazy to me, Like, oh, I'm this way because my parent was this way is just to me an excuse and a weird excuse to lie on or die on that hill you take it. You know, Yeah, everyone's got their own stuff. Everyone grows up with different stuff, but like, that's not the reason why you do X, Y and Z as an adult.
Speaker 4: Which is interesting because there were reports also of Okay, so we're still trying to narrow down the motive. The guy obviously hated corporate health or whatever general term you want to use, and whether it was this guy specifically targeted an insurance company, or if he was targeting the health care industry because he was in constant pain or whatever. The other issue that I saw yesterday was that his mother also had severe neuropathy and was in constant back pain as well.
Speaker 2: So because he that could have made her distant, well.
Speaker 4: It could have made her distant, but it could have also been he blames them for her distance. They blamed He blames the healthcare industry for not helping her caring for her.
Speaker 1: There's being upset about your parents' pain and what that means for you and the relationship.
Speaker 2: And then there's murder.
Speaker 1: I still go back to the occam's raiser of this was somebody who we've seen countless times have a psychotic break in their early twenties as a male like it just it happens, unfortunately for some people.
Speaker 3: And the age. Like you said, yeah, this is within that window. A couple things.
Speaker 4: We'll come back and talk about the issue of social banditry, that theory that you talked about yesterday, but also wanted posters have started showing up in New York City, wanted posters that feature pictures of other healthcare corporate leaders on traffic control boxes throughout Manhattan. So there's a picture of Brian Thompson, but it's got red X through it. There's pictures of optim Health CEO, the United Health Group CEO's still not clear who put the pictures up, but the Franklin Fire continues to burn in the health above Malibu. The update from this morning is that at least seven homes were destroyed eight damaged, but officials said that number could rise as they do more complete assessments. So far, the Franklin fire is just under four thousand acres, about seven percent contained. The potentially dangerous red flag warning is supposed to expire at ten this morning. The normal red flag fire warning is weather warning is supposed to be up until six o'clock tonight.
Speaker 3: A couple of these. We got to get through some of these because I got Good morning, Gary and Shannon. This is Ray from Mersido.
Speaker 5: Let's not forget about Jerry van Dyke, who passed away a few years ago.
Speaker 3: And don't forget there's a Barry van Dyke. You know, the family's all in entertainment. When we're another miss Jerry van Dyke. He was funny on coach. Anyway, have a nice day. He was great on coach. That was a good show. That was a fun show.
Speaker 8: Shannon, we're going to accept your ignorance on Dick Van Dyke. I can't even believe you said such a thing. I know I am younger than you, and I know everything almost that he's been in. I literally was just seeing kids from Bye Bye Birdie yesterday.
Speaker 2: Could you not know who.
Speaker 10: Magan?
Speaker 3: We're just going to accept your ignorance.
Speaker 8: Thank you, thank you, You guys from Reno Valley have a great day.
Speaker 3: I love that name.
Speaker 1: That's a great name. I I knew it. I knew it was going to anger people, and I knew that I was ignorant. And I'm sorry, do you not know who Dick? I remember him being on like Niket night, but it was just not my it was not my my. It's a blind spot. We have blind spots.
Speaker 4: The biggest transgression is that you thought that he had passed already was dancing.
Speaker 6: In the Hi Gary, You're actually incorrect. The senior facility that my mom is in, Incinitas for assisted living, they actually do allow the people to have dogs and cats. Unfortunately, memory care they don't because they probably wouldn't remember that they have him.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 1: Okay, So speaking of memory care, and I forgot to tell Keana this the show that I'm watching with Ted Danson that you said, oh yeah, it was about him having figured it out. You thought you had figured it out right, But you said I didn't. You did not, at least at this point, you did not figure it out. Okay, you thought it was he is this guy who loses his wife and his kids get him to go to the care facility under the guise of he's helping to solve a crime, but it's really because he has dementia. He does not and he is helping to solve a crime. And it's really well done. It's very well written. The characters are great, and there is a lot of learning about these care facilities that I have gone on and the memory care wing and everything that comes with that.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 4: And that I mean, there were a couple of people who said that they've been allowed to take pets in to facilities.
Speaker 9: I G.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's new to me. My mother or my grandmother was in a.
Speaker 2: That was a hundred years ago.
Speaker 3: That's also true that I love that.
Speaker 1: Story because it shows what a good person you are about you collecting the laundry.
Speaker 4: And doing the laundry too. Yeah, that's nice. It's not fun, no, but it builds character.
Speaker 5: Arry Shannon, A quick question on your opinion, since I value very much. Okay, when we talk about healthcare, is it a right or a responsibility.
Speaker 4: Interesting question because that's one of the questions that I came up with when I was reading this last night.
Speaker 3: You mentioned this yesterday.
Speaker 4: Social banditry is this theory that ru was written up in Politico as an explanation, perhaps for one of our for what's going on in this country. This moment, this grim divisive moment that we have in general in our country, exemplified perhaps mostly by politics, but does spread into other areas.
Speaker 1: It's all about the poor versus the rich. Right, you go on social media and you'll see it everywhere. As it pertains to this murder, people saying this needs to be the new norm. People writing in all caps eat the rich. Social banditry was a theory coined by a Marxist scholar in nineteen fifty nine, Eric hobbes Baum bomb.
Speaker 2: He belonged to.
Speaker 1: An intellectual tradition seeking to critique capitalism, as they wrote it up in Politico. He was interested primarily in investigating the relationship between peasant societies and revolutionary change, with a special focus on underground forms of resistance, i e. Robin Hood, Right, Pancho Villa, things like that. Jesse James Billy the kid and when you look at this killer and they zero in on the motive when it comes to the bullet casings. He concealed his face with a mask. He dropped that backpack in Central Park filled with monopoly money that he meant to spread over the body but forgot zips away on a bicycle. It's very reminiscent of those names that I just went through.
Speaker 3: There's a.
Speaker 4: Hobbsbaum's theory is that when people lose faith in the government's ability to address concerns and grievances, when the government can't do what it's supposed to do, then the.
Speaker 10: Hey, Gary and so I've had a couple of Alzheimer's patients at the hospital with these animatronic cats, and it's really very very sweet to see them together. The cats meow and per and the patient actually has something familiar that they can take care of, and it gives them a purpose.
Speaker 3: Interesting. It's honestly been.
Speaker 10: Really amazing for them. I wish we did more of that with people with Alzheimer's. It's just amazing.
Speaker 4: I will I may change my tune on that. I was kind of upset about the idea of.
Speaker 1: It, but yeah, but you haven't lived with someone like that, true, And I mean I like, like I said, yesterday, with my mother in law.
Speaker 2: The stuffed animals worked wonders with her.
Speaker 1: She even had this plastic squirrel that if you waved your hand in front of it, if there's motion, it would do a little squirrel sound. And she would take it with us to restaurants. Okay, And it was like, okay, whatever. It's like it's like a kid. Yeah, you know, you give a kid a hot wheels car.
Speaker 3: Or something, maybe not to exactly.
Speaker 2: Calms him down. It's like an emotional support situation.
Speaker 4: That question, by the way, about the difference between responsibilities and rights when it comes to healthcare, I think is interesting and it's worth a longer discussion.
Speaker 3: But follow me here for a second.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if Luigi, if Luigi Mangioni has a chronic back problem, right, no fault of his own?
Speaker 3: Is spondo life thesis right?
Speaker 2: Doing homework?
Speaker 3: I have been told it to my daughter this morning.
Speaker 4: I showed up spondol like the that was then aggravated by this surfing accident or whatever, and it's no fault of his own. Does he have a responsibility to take care of himself? Or is it a right for him to receive medical care. I don't know if that's the right question to ask, because that's just this issue. In the event that someone doesn't give two rats butts about what they eat and ends up developing type two diabetes, do they have a right to very expensive treatments or did they have a responsibility to take care of themselves beforehand?
Speaker 2: I think the bigger question.
Speaker 1: You never hear about that person being denied healthcare and a document or being made about it. You never hear about the person who lived at McDonald's and Taco Bell and sweets shop being denied care.
Speaker 3: You hear about the people with.
Speaker 2: Cancer, yeah, being denied treatment.
Speaker 1: So you hear about people not getting the referral they need in time to the doctor that has the right treatment. You hear about the people that want to try a treatment that may not be signed off for to save their lives because the insurance company doesn't view it as viable. I mean, those are the stories that are way too common.
Speaker 4: But if the healthcare companies didn't have to spend as much money on things like type two diabetes, would they be able to.
Speaker 1: So they don't give a crap. It's not a budget problem. For them, it's a we want money and we're greedy a holes.
Speaker 3: You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 4: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app