Speaker 1: Coming to you from the dining room table at East Barbary Lane. Welcome to another special episode of Full Circle the podcast. I am your host, Charles Tyson Junior, and I am so excited to be sitting with our guest today. Isaac Grahova, is a delightful author and medical professional and multi hyphen it and fierce eva and he is here today to talk about his new book, which is Six and a Half Days in the City, and we're going to get into it. So, Isaac Grahova, thank you for joining us at the Full Circle Table.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 1: So how are you today?
Speaker 2: I'm doing good so far. I actually just basically had was in a car accident, so I'm a little sore from that. Oh No, other than that, I'm recovering pretty well.
Speaker 1: Well, that's no good speedy recovery. Yeah, you get one of those bodies you need to take.
Speaker 2: Care absolutely.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: Then I'm extra glad that you're here with us today. So your book is called Six and a Half Days in the City, the city, of course being New York. Let's just jump off with it. Why don't you tell us what the book is about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So the elevator pitch. I've been trying to get right from the very beginning, and I think I've been able to kind of get it. With one of the reviews that I got actually on Amazon. I love that they kind of makes us excinct. It's basically a sorry about a young by man who's who discovers what he's looking for in life while he's on vacation. There's elements of found family, there's friendship, their mental health awareness and kind of the story of trying to take care of yourself and how we can lose track of that when our lives are so busy and hectic and chaotic, and how those who have who we have chosen to be our family can be kind of a grounding force in that journey.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's that sounds accurate. Now. I noticed that the main character, Cameron and Uh and you share the same profession, the medical profession. So is it safe to say that this is an atobiographical work or is that the only thing you SHARE's kind.
Speaker 2: Of the only thing that we share in common. The very skeleton barre Bones kind of was me, but then I kind of had to go and shape it out and buffet and make it somebody else. We do have the same professional career and everything. And I did that just because it's easy to write about, you know what I mean. It's very it's a very fast moving field and it's kind of a very attention grabbing. And I was told that the hook is really good, so I stuck with it and ran with it. So there's that aspect of it. In regards to like how he deals with his emotions and the relationship that he has with his family that's very different. Thankfully, I have a much better relationship with my parents than that. And yeah, I mean it was. It was fun to write just because it was what I knew, and it was I've always given characters of mine like different attributes my humor how a bad. Like my characters are filthy mouthed, and I, oh, I'm myself like curse like a sailor. Sometimes I try to clean it up, especially if the character is a little more shy or timid or like they just don't cuss right right right, But usually that even then, like those characters still have like a few slip ups just to kind of throw that still in there.
Speaker 1: Hey, I mean it there is I have not been able to find this quote this quote the source since I heard it years and years ago, but I always still use it. It was a French philosopher from like the fourteenth century or some shit like that who said cursing makes talking more fun. Yeah, you know, and and and Chris Rock even said, you know, you can say that you had a nice day, and that can mean anything. But if I say I had a great fucking day, that paints a picture. Damn it, you had a really good day exactly. So why, I mean, the real answer is why not? But why was it important to you that your main character be so open and expressive in his bisexuality.
Speaker 2: Yeah? I mean, this book was supposed to be a celebration of queer identity and queer expression, and I've always loved writing stories that way. Even in my last couple of little short stories that I wrote, there wasn't a whole lot of room for queer expression per se, but there were a lot of drag queens, right, And in those moments with the drag queens, and in those moments of having like safe spaces and queer identity and queer expression, there's a lot of like connection. There's it's just a fun time. They do like performances in the summertime through it for like like themed, so like they would do like a night of certain celebrities and like the moment that someone realizes they're in love with somebody, it's like the night of like Taylor Swift. And then the next it's like you know, New Year's even the ball drops, there's a drag queen performance going on, and you know, there's the fireworks and all this, and it's it's supposed to be like a really fun time and a lot of like expression through core identity and queer spaces. And so that's why I wanted to write this story this way. And even even when there's not necessarily queer expression or core identity being celebrated, there's still groundingness within connection between men that is positive and very affirming and comfortable that a lot of queer men don't have with straight people unfortunately. That I did want to showcase because a lot of you know, they're not all bad. There are some good men out there, one or two, one or two not enough.
Speaker 1: Right, I Mean, that was one aspect of the book that I definitely appreciated was it is not often at all that you see a positive representation of bisexuality where you know, the main like in this case, the main character, he has moments and relationships and encounters pretty equally almost with with men and women, because a lot of times, uh, the perception and this is something that I have battled my entire adult queer life, that perception of you know, by men are gay who sometimes you know and you know, everyone is not the same. And so you know, I love I love any by visibility, but especially when it's positive. So like, how how important is that to you that that idea of like, you know, by visibility.
Speaker 2: I think it's very important. I think I've said this now at least two or four times in the last few podcasts I've done. I did not read a character. I did not read a story with a bisexual man who was a person of color until about two to three years ago. So never in my adolescence, never in my college life, did I see myself represented that way in a piece of literature. And it's not really something I ever thought about, because it almost never really crossed my mind as a possibility because it wasn't there, Like I just I didn't think about it. I wasn't like, oh, like, where's the byman like you know, a queer person like you know, personal color representation. It just did not cross my mind. And then I started seeing it more and I was like, oh shit, right, like I can actually right like people that there are spaces, you know what I'm saying. And then so it was important for me to start writing in that way just because it's it can feel so isolating and lonely to feel like you're not out there as well, like people are not people. There are other people like you out there, and when you realize that is the case, it's easy for easier for you to us to build community and to feel like you belong, which is very true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, but you you you mentioned you made a good point about not only representation of by men, but by men of color, because usually when you see that representation, it's in the context of, you know, the discovery is made that he's by on the way out the door because he's leaving his wife for another man, or his wife discovered that he had been lying to her this whole time. And that's a trope that has always pissed me off. The by man as a liar, a cheater, a sneak, you know, so it was good to just you know, see someone just out in the world getting their like, living their single life, and the options are just a little more plentiful, especially in New York. Oh my god. Absolutely, yeah, so this book is also you're a self published author. Yes, so I imagine that has its own set of challenges.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. I think it's nice just because I'm in full control. I design. I didn't design it, but I have say over the cover design, I have say over when it gets released and how it's formatted. And oh, I have full creative expression, full rights to everything, the thing that sucks into the marketing. Like, I will say, that's probably the most the hardest thing to do. It's the most tiring thing to do trying to stay creative and relevant and not you know, have algorithms think you're just pushed in the same video over and over again, right right right. It's it's a little tricky. Fortunately I was able to I had a I have a steady income and steady job, so like I was able to you know, hire a publicist who originally reached out to you, I had the ability to actually hire people to help me edit and hire people to help me get the cover designed, et cetera. That was probably the biggest barrier that I had when I was younger, obviously, because I was in school and wasn't working and I was a little kid. And then the traditional publishing route just takes so long, and you know, you can try to try to query agents for years, and then even if you find an agent, there's just a that's just the first step of more waiting, right, because I have to pict your book to YEP, they have to pick pict your book to publishers, and then it goes on sub and even if the publisher wants to do your book, do you have somebody who wants to edit you, et cetera. So it's I'm like, I can't. I'm like, I don't want to wait that long. And I find myself in a very a nice little situation where I have enough free time to do stuff like right and be a little more expressive, because in the next in the coming year, I'll be applying to medical school in the next two starting and so that process is just going to speed by, and so I'm not going to have time to sit there and like query agents all my time off, like I'm going to be studying relaxing and like not trying to worry about making incomes some other way, you know what I mean. So it it was almost the perfect, the perfect time to get the book out there. And so I was like, fuck it, I might as well. I am twenty six and I'm still young, and I wanted to do this forever, and that's the perfect time. And this is a short book and it's not going to take that long to edit, and you know, it's space friendly. You know, it doesn't take up a whole lot of room, Printing costs isn't very high. So it was very ideal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when I got the book in my hand, I was like, oh, we're gonna get through this bad boy. Yeah, like you could have had another half a day, seven days in the city now, But yeah, I can imagine doing anything yourself is going to be a pain in the ass. Like I know this as a fellow creative. But at the same time, I from when I've spoken to other authors, like you're bypassing the whole headache of is the book too queer? Yeah, exactly why does he have to do this? Why does he have to do this so many times? Because you know, people can be as progressive as they want can say they're as progressive as they want to, but when it comes down to actually like the nitty gritty of you know, queerness and byness, and you have a couple you depict a couple of scenes in this book that are like, yes, I'm not going to go as far as to say grap well no, it is kind of graphic actually, but not gratuitous, but real is where I was going.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and.
Speaker 1: You know, despite the fact that we have things like fifty shades of gray when it's heterosexuals, not to mention white haterosexuals, certain things, you know.
Speaker 2: Are more okay, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: So how how has the book been received thus far?
Speaker 2: Pretty well? Some people were I was surprised that a little people. Some people were disappointed that it wasn't me as the main character. I was like, that'd be a little interesting. But I've been well received. People are saying that it's really good. They think it's very sweet and like the My biggest concern was that the sex in it was going to detract from the plot and like seemed like it was unnecessary and I was originally not going to have it in there at all. But my radio readers are like, no, like it's good and had the place and people are just like, hey, like it's pretty good. Like I'm really proud of you for finally getting something out there. You know, I've been writing sintime I was ten years old, you know, for them, so for them to have something that they can finally like hold and show people that, like, hey, I know this person who's been writing forever and they finally have a book out there and it's available you know, pretty much wherever you can find the book online. It's been really it's been really cool.
Speaker 1: I love that. Yeah, And and like it almost got to a point for me where I started to say, wow, there's a lot of sex in this book, but then I realized you got twice as much of a population, right, and not to mention this is why it's important though, because in the book, we're seeing Cameron, the main character, enjoy his sexual encounters just as much with the women that he encounters as with the men. And that is important to see. You know, he's not faking the funk, he's not trying to get through it. He's you know what I'm saying. Yeah, So that was definitely appreciate. MM hmm, absolutely, because you know, again it's there are so many Biirasure is real, and it has long been one of my personal campaigns fighting by erasure. So you know, if you can, if you can give any positive representation for the B in the L G B, T Q, et cetera, et cetera, I will always be happy.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, okay, how much of you is in Cameron though? And vice versa, No, definitely not.
Speaker 2: I will definitely say the professional stuff like his critical recals the book was I used a lot of the navigation that I took on my own to kind of dip in and out of what's in the in the book. So like all the places they go to, like the Museum of the Moving Image, and like writing the subway, Coney Island, seeing movies together Broadway, we did all those things, me and my friends. However, how they advanced the plot is absolutely different, because like, I'm not here having an existential crisis on vacation. I'm having a really good time actually, and the sex scenes are fully made up. They might the bet that the friend gave Shamada, that was something that my friend actually told me as a little funny joke that she didn't think I was actually going to fall for but I did. I was like, I'll make my damn fifty dollars what you're talking about, bro? And so I was I was a good boy on the staycation, but like I still kind of wanted to incorporate that in some way to kind of introduce a potential conflict. And so it was very wired and weird and embellished for a narrative that pushes a story of self discovery and found family, et cetera. In the theater, It's Muto scene that was all also very embellished. That wasn't a part of a real life, but I wanted to include that just because it was the one chance that we could have to like fully embrace his his his ethnic arrative, et cetera.
Speaker 1: And I did love that too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's like my favorite scene, the whole thing where he's like kind of reflecting. That's very much real for myself. Like I I saw that in the faul in Our Stars and I when you're having like a pre funeral to Augustus's death, and I was like, that actually be kind of cool, and so I would like to have like a pre funeral if I'm dying from something chronic like cancer, and then just the way that he fully embraces those that he loves and the way that like he honors his loved ones and they're dead. That's very real and that's very personal, and that was really important for me to have in there, just because I know that death has really like affected my family and it is something that kind of just weighs on a lot of people that are still with us, Oh definitely, and I don't feel like a lot of them like it's part of a reason that like a lot of them haven't been able to like move on and fully healed because you know, somebody else's absence is still hanging over their heads. And so in a way, that was kind of my little outlet for that to kind of help people kind of like move through their grief in a positive way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love that, and I loved it because, well, for one thing, I really really enjoyed the strong friendship circle that Cameron had, and.
Speaker 1: I love how they were so supportive of his culture because his friends circle is made up of a bunch of different folks from different ethnicities, which I also enjoy because that's that mirror is my own, my own life, So that respect of each other's culture.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Is also it's also, like I'm sad to say, refreshingly unique because a lot of times people try to paint this whole like united color of Benetton's population, where like we have the white one and the black one and the Asian one, and you know, they're just there to say that they're there, but beyond that, we don't really get into what makes them them. So I definitely appreciated that. And uh and and going back to you know, his friends circle, that idea of found family is so important, especially among queer folks, especially especially among queer folks of color, because you know, sometimes your found family is all you got because we have so many people who you know, who's whose biological family have shunned them, kicked them out, whatever. So seeing this vibrant, this vibrant circle, both the friends that he's with and the friends that he communicates with back home, Uh, it just it gave me that nice warm feeling inside. Do you have Do you have that that that vibrant friend circle in real life?
Speaker 2: My closest friends are queer people and we've all found solace together. And thankfully I have a very supporting family and the family who embraces who I am and celebrates it. But a lot of my queer friends can't say that, right, And I always feel really bad when they talk about like all the issues they have with their mom or their dad, and how like their queer identity is a wedge, and how they're never really you know, fully accepted, like they tolerate them, but they they don't introduce them with the proper you know, pronouns. They don't them with you know, they they shy away and don't ever talk about their sexuality or how they express themselves. And I'm kind of like, damn, like I can't relate to that. And I'm like I'm glad, Like I'm so glad that I cannot relate to that, and they're glad. They're happy for me as well. I remember we were sitting in I think Daily City and they were talking about like the issues they have with their fathers, and I was like, damn, like I have a really good dad, Like you know, I can't. They're like, I'm glad, honey, like celebrate your father because he's a good man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And so.
Speaker 2: It's very like grounding and like makes you realize kind of like what you have because it could very easily be taken away that.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, Like that's a conversation that is very in the now, especially since Duran Bernard won his Grammy and he's very openly queer, and his mother and father were on stage with him when he was accepting his Grammy, and like people were so like shocked and surprised that his father was there in supporting him. And it's like, you know, there are plenty of fathers who are supportive of their queer kids, believe it or not, you know, And that's an idea that we need to see more of that solid family of queer children, you know, because not to say that the opposite is not as true, because lord knows it is how many queer homeless youth are there out there, But you know, we need to see just as many positive examples as well. And another one of the characters in the book that I fell in love with, oh for me, fell in love with all over again is you know New York the like you made me miss New York so hot, and I'm like, I want to go there. I've never been there, like the the the Museum of the Moving Image. Okay, gotcha I'm like, I, why have I never been there?
Speaker 2: Yeah? A lot of people miss it.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, there's a bunch there's a bunch of places that you mentioned, And I was like, there was no good reason why I haven't been there yet. Yeah, so is that Do you have a real life relationship with New York a love affair with me?
Speaker 2: Yeah? New York City was the first place that I ever went to traveled on my own two and it was very freeing. It gave me plenty of time to reflect on my life and what I want, and it was it was far enough away from home to make me feel like I was for at least momentarily because I was in the middle of undergrad free of responsibility and just able to be myself and I got to I got to go to different places and see beautiful sites, and it was very nice to know that I could do this, I can be self sufficient, and it was very kind of just eye opening. It was so surreal, Like I always wanted to go to New York City since I was a little kid, and so being being able to get there was like it was like I was asleep, Like the first it felt like I was asleep and dreaming for like the first two or three days, like it was. It was so crazy. And then when I left for the first time, like I was heartbroke and I wanted to go back like immediately, and I couldn't wait for the opportunity to go again. And then my friends actually moved to New York City from the area and they're getting their masters and working together, and so I was like whole perfect, Like this is the perfect time for me to be able to go, And so it was just even then when I went back last April, I was at a time where I was I don't know about soul searching, but kind of just moving past what I thought. I was in paramedic school and so that's how I have paramedic knowledge and knowledge of advanced life support. But I never went through that way because for me, it felt like a distraction from what I actually want to pursue. And so as I'm there and I was talking to her, and I was kind of having a lot of anxieties and just kind of hashing out everything, and right our friendship is still grounding, and that's part of what I wanted to reflect in this book. And so we had I mean, me and my friends just had a great time, and New York City became kind of like an anchor for us, a place we can go back to and just be free and have, you know, like a care free time.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it's it's hard to like if you if you spend any time in New York be it a day or or a week or et cetera, and you don't have a story that you can like bring up every now and again, what is your doing? Right? Thank you? Like you don't have to try. It was like, just look around hard enough, something will happen. Yeah. I enjoyed, well enjoyed. I appreciated, uh, the element of acknowledging the the main characters mental health struggles as well, because again that's something else that is not explored enough amongst people of color in general, men of collar and then queer men of collar. So thank you for that, because the struggle is real out here, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I wanted to really I've struggled myself with some depression of anxiety, and thankfully it never got to this stage. However, the first the first time that I did go to New York City, I kind of had a little bit of like a menu spiral in my own head, just because my mother was at a time of her life where she was kind of just making excuses and not really trying to fully take her recovery, you know seriously. And I mean it just sent me into like a whole headspin. I was in Prospect Park and like I had like a little like anxiety attack and it was not a great time. But I recovered from that, and after that, I was like, I should probably see a therapist, and I did, and I've been seeing a therapist ever since pretty regularly. But it's you know, when you start going through things like that, you don't want to there's a lot of things that are going through your head and you don't want to be a burden on anybody, and you don't want to reach out. And so especially when you've been hyper like hyper independent your whole life out of survival, right, and so having all that going on, it can again be very isolating and you feel like a freak and you feel like you're a weirdo and like nobody can relate to you, et cetera. But then you start voicing these things and you start talking to your therapists and they're like, no, like that's more people feel like that than you think, you know, And it's another one of those things where it's like we have to see ourselves out there and we have to know that the a pass to recovery is possible. Hopefully it doesn't, you know, hopefully your life is not put into danger in the process. But sometimes that's kind of what it takes as kind of a wake up call to be like, hey, you know, we need help and we have to you know, we can't do this anymore.
Speaker 1: Pay attention to you girl.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: So part of me couldn't help but envision watching this story play out in terms of either a movie or a series, Like is that something that you might have had in the back of your mind.
Speaker 2: I always have that in the back of my mind. I get very excited, and I, you know, have the author dream of something you know, getting picked up or you know, made into a film a series, you know, even if it's a limited series on you know, Netflix or something you know, a couple episodes long. But yeah, like, if that ever becomes a thing, I would love to go, you know, I would love to get that done, just to be able to see that come alive and be able to express, you know, have that queer expression, celebration of greer identity, and show that you know, you know, there's found family in places even where you would least expect them. And when we have, you know, problems with family and problems with everything else going on, there is still things that can root you and ground you and you know, kind of show you the way. I think that'd be a very a very great story to tell on a on a big screen.
Speaker 1: So who would you cast? I know you've thought about it.
Speaker 2: I honestly don't know. I all the ones that like I'm thinking of that come to mind first are very tall, and you know, Cameron is not very tall. Camera is probably about five seven, five eight stocky because he has to be for his job. But I can't really imagine who would be that person. I can't even think of like Redheaded Eye. I mean, maybe Cameron Lannigan for like red And there's unfortunately not a whole lot of like Asian Vietnamese actresses who are younger, like the first Asian actress that I can think of, but she's like fifteen hours Lucy Lou, Right, you know, isn't.
Speaker 1: That fucked up?
Speaker 2: That?
Speaker 1: Like if you if you want to cast of a film or a series about your work because of the fact that there's so many people of color that you don't have that many people to pull from that would isn't that fucked up? Oh my god? In twenty twenty six? What the hell? Yeah, my god? So do you have this is one of my favorite question to ask authors. What music do you play when you write?
Speaker 2: If you do, yeah, so I kind of just go through my own like playlist, like like like songs, but for this particular book, this is the first one where I actually like crafted a playlist for And it's very it's very moody, it's very angsty, it's very like longing and kind of just sad. And I remember I was talking my therapist. I was like I tried to get into the headspace to write for it, and then like once I'm out of it, I'm like, damn, my life really isn't that bad? Like shit could be a lot worse of this right, And it made her laugh. But there's songs that are like, you know, Iris by the Go Gou Dolls and Solo Talk by Zay like there's fun ones. Naked in Manhattan by Choppl Roan and there's some tailor swift in there. So yeah, like it's very I feel like it was very catered towards that some of them. Like I remember I was playing it on the way home from Santa Cruis and my friend was like, what how does this song relate? Like, you know, because she's read it, and then she was like, how does this song relate? How does that song relate? And I had to like sit there and kind of be like, not the whole song per se, but maybe just the vibe or certain lyrics that reminds me of maybe certain scenes, et cetera, or just the name of the song, right, you know, Like there's one song called like next Time in New York by Van Cyras, so like that one's obvious, you know. So yeah, just kind of tried to have fun with it.
Speaker 1: I love that because, yeah, it can be on the nose or it could be something that might be playing in the background of like one of the coffee shops they go to exactly. I like it. I like it, I like it. I like it. So yeah. So the book is six and a half Days in the City. It is a delightful read. It's a quick read. It gives you it gives you a little window into the mind of this person and his life. So I definitely suggest that all of our listeners take the time to get a copy. Where is Where would your favorite place be for folks to purchase your book?
Speaker 2: If people want to help me get the money the fastest, that's my personal bookshop. It's Isaac or Books dot buy slash Isaac Rahova. Unfortunately, the shipping is not free. Amazon is also there. If you have like a Prime membership, the shipping is free. It's also on Kindle Unlimited, so if you subscribe to that, it's free.
Speaker 1: But please all support a small business.
Speaker 2: Please supports I need some my money back. I found it on Barnes and Noble dot com. I found it on Walmart books dot com if you're buying from an online retailer. Unfortunately, because of how it got like analyzed by ingram Spark, it says large text edition. It's not large text. I'm still trying to work that bug out. But you can also get it off of TikTok shop as a Gaba Books. I signed those copies personally and I try to get them out the same day that I receive the order, and I live like down the street from the post office. So it's not work hard to do it all.
Speaker 1: I love it. So is it exclusively online sales for the book at this point?
Speaker 2: At this point, yes, I'm trying to get it into libraries and I'm trying to get into like physical copies of bookstores. I know Barnes and Noble probably won't buy in bulk, but if you ask them to order it, or if enough people at a specific location ask, they'll start stalking it.
Speaker 1: Yes, And you know there's all kinds of independent bookstores that cater to queer voices and voices of collar. So you know, yeah, everyone out there, be a nudge, ask your local book detail.
Speaker 2: That's the biggest way to get it out there. Really, Like it's one thing for me to ask, and they're like whatever, like you know, shoeshoo what. But if people actually start asking that, then they're like, oh shit, Like there's a market out there for it, you know.
Speaker 1: Right, So I'm gonna put that information into the notes of this episode. Isaac Grialva, you have been a delight. I am so glad we finally got to sit and talk yes about your your lovely book.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for having me It's been fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I have a feeling this will not be the last time we sit chat together. I hope not. Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Now you take care you too. Full Circle is a Never Scured Productions podcast hosted by Charles Tyson Junior and Martha Madrigal, Produced and edited by Never Scured Executive Produced by Charles Tyson Junior and Martha Madrigal. Our theme in music is by the jingle Berries. All names, pictures, music, audio, and video clips are registered trademarks and or copyrights of their respective copyright holders.