Speaker 1: Coming to you from the dining room table at East Barbary Lane. Welcome to the first twenty twenty sixth episode of Full Circle, the podcast. A visit to our home where we squeeze a few headlines through our decidedly queer lens and warm ourselves by the dumpster fire of a new year. This episode is brought to you by Decanted jug Wine, Surviving the Holidays, and a country I wish I didn't recognize, but I do.
Speaker 2: I am your host Charles Tyson Jr.
Speaker 1: And I'm your host Martha Madrigo. Welcome to the Full Circle Table. Hi baby, Hi, we're fucking recording. We are, Yeah, we are it.
Speaker 2: You know, Happy new Year, Happy new Year, Well new year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is a new year. I've been you know, buried and well I wasn't feeling well. But but before that, you know, still doing household things.
Speaker 2: And and by the household things, you mean like making it look like an entirely new one.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I'm working on, you know, my to do list, because like what else do you do? You know, like I'm Marthas Stewart. When I don't know what else to do, I dig it. Yeah. Well, we had the holidays, were actually nice. They were you know, we did more than survive them. But plenty of people, you know, and the holidays are wrought with emotion and expectation and lots of tradition and disappointment and confrontation all the things. Yeah, it's it's also you know, and juxtaposed against you know, the Trump regime. Yeah, that word regime is is well well yeah, so much is happening every day and and you know, all by design, and this is you know, so much of this is just the natural conclusion of you know, letting bullies be in charge of ignorance or run a UK. Yeah, and anyone who acts like this is a surprise has clearly not been paying attention, which like, if this is just reaching your demographic, I welcome. I mean, like what else? What else to say?
Speaker 2: And there's surprisingly a lot of that lately, people being like they're just not understanding or just being surprised, and like, wow, when did this start?
Speaker 1: Bitch? When I voted for the Leopards Eating Faces party, yeah, I didn't mean it was supposed to eat mine, you know, but these are the things that, you know, we've gotten so far away from things that make sense. You know what I mean, like, with all of this rhetoric and when you cannot trust your government to tell you the truth about anything, right, Yeah, And I'm just astounded, and I've decided the only way that I can like still be on Facebook is all the laughing emojis I assume are bots. I just assume they're bots, because even if they are, if there is an actual jath Row behind that laughing emoji right somewhere, they basically this is a hollowed out human being without a brain at this point, right, my new because it's happening to you too, I'm.
Speaker 2: Turning it into an opportunity for creativity. My thing has been the collective IQ of this comment thread is the last one I believe was soup skin well pocket lent a pebble in my shoe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, witty rhetoric. It doesn't help being It's all.
Speaker 2: Because the alternative is being angry. And I woke up this morning very angry because of social media and I regret picking up my phone. Well that plus just what's going on now.
Speaker 1: Which we'll get to. We have just but you never listen. You never listen when I say stay out of the comment section. Truly, I mean, it's not just the comments as true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the algorithm them and AI is pushing just just bear poking, just right in my face.
Speaker 1: You know. It's awesome about you know, working on home improvement. It keeps my mind and my hands busy and off of social media. True.
Speaker 2: I did actually investigate in this thing that like takes over your phone and makes it minimal, and when you try to go on to social media, it like starts guilting you, like why did you decide to kill this tree? Well, except you have to pay for it? And I'm like, but now I'm like, how much is my piece actually worth?
Speaker 1: So I might revisit it? Well, and that's all I'm saying. You know, if there's one thought that I've had over you know, over this season, and we did have we actually had lovely holidays with deer Ones. Sure, you know our friends the grim Woods came up from Arkansas and that was wonderful. Yeah, hey, friends of the Pause, that's right. But you know, I get to see Keith often, but for as long as I feel like I've known Beth, we never actually got to spend time in person, right, But they were here over Christmas, and what a lovely lovely visit, truly with wonderful folks.
Speaker 2: And I said to you, like, you know how when you meet someone for the first time, then you spent fifteen minutes with them and you forget that you just met them, right, because y'all would chilling and keikey and like you've known each other forever.
Speaker 1: Right, That was Beth right. And Keith is the bass player for trout Fishing in America, which Keith and is Sarah and you know, such a wonderful talent and so much great song. And proper cup of coffee from a proper cup that was your jam, although I want it's a proper cup of coffee from a proper copper coffee pot. Yeah, there we go. Yeah, no, so it. But we just had a lovely time, a lovely visit, lots of wonderful food, ate too much, cook well, cook too much, ate too much, that's not even yeah, but but it was. It was lovely and relaxing and you know, loved ones and Kathy shared with us, and you know that's what the holiday should be. And Thanksgiving was lovely too. It was so a lot.
Speaker 2: Of wonderful things actually have been are happening.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I had a birthday.
Speaker 2: I just get rid over my mouth and say you had a birthday? I did, Happy belated birthday. Yeah, how does it feel to finally be a legal drinking age?
Speaker 1: For what? Ensure? It was funny? I am sixty six zero? I sure stupid. I even give less of a fuck now than I did in my fifties, and I gave no fox. Yeah it's frightening. Yeah, do you know a lot of.
Speaker 2: So you're in a fucking deficit.
Speaker 1: Right rights people owe you fox. I lost my last fuck with anyway. No, it not as introspective as I thought it would all be. It never is, yeah, except I've had an introspective year. I mean like that's why I quit smoking, do you know what I mean? Like that was the thing was like, come, when you're turning sixty, you need to sprit this already. And I'm still not smoking cigarettes. No you're not, and nor weed I have. I have a little nicotine babe, with like three percent nicotine that I do still, you know, hitting oil on again, but I don't inhale that right, So my breathing is much better. Yeah, I barely smoking no anymore? Yeah, no, no coughing, no, not from that I mean it was sick, but a bit not from that like it was at all. So yeah, still benefits, but that was one of the things like leading up to it. So I had a whole I think fifty nine was an introspective year in some ways.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, you were laying the groundwork.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then you know lost my job. Of course, the person was most responsible for that just got fired. Talk about your shaddenfreude. Yeah, that made me smile big. I got that news Monday afternoon and I went, oh my god, karma is real. Yeah, Karma comic co Yeah, Karma come. Yeah. So that was kind of a bright spot. But anyway, no, so yeah, there was a birthday and mixed in there, and you know, life continues to life. We had our spaghetti dinners, which carry forward and they're wonderful. I got a promotion. You got a promotion, Yeah, for the new year, because you're a new year patiant.
Speaker 2: In fact, I start my new position tonight.
Speaker 1: There you Yeah, I mean, good stuff is still happening. But yeah, working on everything takes longer than it used to. I swear, like just painting things and doing things and all, I think because I need breaks in between now It's like, boy, when I was twenty five, I said, knock out a room in a weekend. Not as much anymore. But anyway, it's almost done. The bathroom's almost done. Yeah, the kitchen's pretty much done. You're doing the things. Yeah. And in between, you know, lots of organizing and Clinton just my to do list to my big long to do list of all the things that I couldn't get to, right, you know that we're bothering me. I'm getting to now, it's true. So yeah, good stuff. Yeh.
Speaker 2: Since we recorded last, Kathy and I went to see a production of a play based on one of my favoritest books on the planet, A Wrinkle in Time, and that was lovely the Ardent Theater Company, and they were so kind as to give Kathy and I a tour of the theater and the costumes and the props for.
Speaker 1: The whole thing, and I'm like, oh, look there's stuff from Rent. Oh look there's stuff from that show. Okay. It was very cool, and.
Speaker 2: It was obvious that a fan of the book A Wrinkle in Time directed this production because they did it right, as opposed to the abomination that was that movie.
Speaker 1: I love Avid Dumurney but.
Speaker 2: Child anyway, Yeah, I didn't like it either, and you didn't have the connection to.
Speaker 1: None, So that's why I was a really happy one. Y'all went instead of me. I mean, I might have enjoyed it, who knows, but it felt like it was going to be wasted on me.
Speaker 2: It was really good, And apparently that book is having a moment this year because it's it plays a role in the new season of Stranger Things.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like in the first episode, which is the only episode I've seen this season, one of the characters is sitting at the breakfast table reading the book and it's the copy that I had with the cover art that I remember. Look at that.
Speaker 1: Yay, Okay, it's cute. And what else?
Speaker 2: Oh, the last time we recorded.
Speaker 1: Was our holiday episode. Yes, we did an episode fun on the film The Family Stone.
Speaker 2: It was you and me and Kathy and our other friend of the pod, doctor Alfred Martin Jr.
Speaker 1: That was good. That was fun. I had a good time. Yeah, I love that movie. So next year I think we're doing love Actually, yes, that'll be fun.
Speaker 2: Either next Christmas or we'll do it in July.
Speaker 1: Is a Christmas in July oh that would be interesting too, but yeah, because that's another one. But The Family Stone is a movie I watched multiple times every holiday season.
Speaker 2: Yes, while we got into a nice little debate over the pros and cons of The Family Stone, I have definite feelings about love.
Speaker 1: Actually, I know, so fair.
Speaker 2: Enough, desks and shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Dick Van Dyke lived to be one hundred. Yes, he's still alive. But he had a undredth birthday. Yeah, I loved it.
Speaker 2: Van Dyke always have the dirtiest name and show business.
Speaker 1: Wow, only if you think so, I guess I know, never thought that. But yeah, he's hundredth birthday and he's still like sharp and yes, yeah, which is great. That's fun to say. So that was a good thing. That's a good thing. It was since.
Speaker 2: Last we talked, we lost a bunch of people.
Speaker 1: We did lose a bunch of people. Jesus, Yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: Danny Seagrin died at eighty one.
Speaker 1: He was a Sesame.
Speaker 2: Street puppeteer and he was the first live action Spider Man.
Speaker 1: What does that mean. He portrayed the first.
Speaker 2: TV Yeah okay, yeah, on the on the Electric Company. Spider Man was a recurring character on The Electric.
Speaker 1: Yes, Okay, I do not remember. It didn't happen often there for the premiere of the Electric Company. It always made happy.
Speaker 2: He was occasionally a big bird as well, so he was definitely an icon, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Going to eighty one Lorraine Hutchins.
Speaker 2: Yes, groundbreaking bisexual activist. She was seventy seven.
Speaker 1: Co edited the anthology by any Other Name, helped bring by activism into the modern era.
Speaker 2: Yes, so safe to say she was a bi coon.
Speaker 1: A bi con. Yes. Yes. She also helped create the coalition that would later turn into Buynet USA and the Alliance of Multicultural Bisexuals.
Speaker 2: Which just sounds like my friend group in college.
Speaker 1: Right right, Rest in Power Shore seventy seven. Yes.
Speaker 2: Hiuki Tagawa passed away in early December. He was seventy five, probably best known for his role as Shang Sung in the Mortal Kombat World and you know, and he was also in the film Pearl Harbor. I mean he was. He was definitely a cool guy in Hollywood. And I was sad to learn that he passed away from complications of a stroke.
Speaker 1: Yes. And then in mid December, Yeah, Rob Reiner and his wife Michelle Singer, what a tragedy.
Speaker 2: Yes, they were taken from us.
Speaker 1: By all accounts, at the hand of their son. Yeah, addiction and mental health author critically important. And you know, I think we'll learn more more as time goes on. But what a sad, sad story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, everyone has a brad Ryder story. Yeah, oh yeah, yeah, because he brought us like our favorite movies.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, he was a storyteller and lived. You know what he believed in they both did. Oh hell yeah, big Player and marriage equality in California. Yea proposition, and you know, because he thought it was important.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was a lot smarter than his character on all in the family. But other than that, he was very much that like, stood by his beliefs, was very vocal about his beliefs and and and you know, had the courage of his convictions.
Speaker 1: But but what a what a storyteller, son of Carl Reiner, of course.
Speaker 2: But when I say, he brought us like our favorite movies, like Spinal Tap and a Few good Men and Misery when Harry met Sally, stand by me, Princess Bride.
Speaker 1: Shout forgive me for that one. A few good Men, Sleepless and Seattle. Yeah, like, oh my god, yep, yep, The Wolf of Wall Street was so many, so many films, so many films, and.
Speaker 2: I love he had one of my favorite parts in Bullets Over Broadway, which is my favorite Woody Allen film, in one of the few that I like, when Hayleen's out the window and.
Speaker 1: Goes, I'm all.
Speaker 2: So yes, rest in peace rather than Rob Brian or Michelleson.
Speaker 1: He was seventy eight and she was seventy parent mm and you know there are other children have to live with us and deal with this, and yeah, exactly, not entirely unheard of. I mean, you know, we haven't begun to feel the impact of you know, what DOGE did to mental health and addiction funding in this country, but we will. And because of that that, you know, just the ham handed way that money was taken away from critically important programs, we've not begun to see. And we will see more of this, not less of it. Oh yeah, in this country, because that's just what we've become. And you know, it's something that affects literally everyone. You know, if it was my political party that was taking away funding, I would be screaming, right, you know, I would be screaming at my party. I would be you know, as angry as I am with the New Jersey State Legislature now for not codifying trans healthcare protections. But you know, we have that Speaker of the House, and you know they are what they are obviously, even though they made promises to us. So I would I, you know, just like I am angry with those Democrats who are cowards uh in the New Jersey State Legislature and and you know, uh, it is what it is, I guess, and their word, their word means very little at this point to me. That's how angry I would be at my party if you know they were responsible for DOSH and all of the funding that was just ripped away. Yeah, yeah, ripped away. So we'll see more of that's, not less of it unless we get our act together moving on. I have a lot of soap boxes today. I'm just saying, that's all right. Bridget Bardeaux who turned into a right wing bigot, Yeah, I guess maybe she wasn't biggo a. She advertised it later on.
Speaker 2: Which I did not realize until after she'd passed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean she was also an animal rights advocate. But yeah, yeah, so a lot of people didn't. But you know, I remember reading this way back.
Speaker 2: Because I remember I was like, oh, Bridgitte Bordeaux died and you were like and I was like what man, That's how I found out.
Speaker 1: She lost her mind. Yeah. She was ninety one, right, yeah, ninety one. Yeah. Isaiah Whitlock, Isaiah Whitlock died. Yeah, he's in so much. Yes, frequently frequently worked with Spike Lee. Yes, and he was always in if you saw what's his name? Now I'm losing it. The two actors are almost always in the same film. Both in trem they were, but you know they're yeah, Wendell, Wendell Peers, Wendell Pears. Yeah. Frequently seen with Wendell Pearce was Isaiah Whitlock. He's they do lific, wonderful actor.
Speaker 2: They did spend a lot of time working.
Speaker 1: Yeah, seriously, you saw one, you saw the other seventy one.
Speaker 2: I always think of him in It was always in a Spike Lee film, but most often in the film Twenty fifth Hour, when his character would just go.
Speaker 1: She that's him, yup. Oh yeah. Yeah. Iconic, just iconic and such a talent and what a loss.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Carmen de Lava Loade passed. She did, I mean bound to happen that made me very sad. Ninety four, Yes, we should all have ninety four years.
Speaker 2: Yes, and explain who she was. December thirtieth. Carmen de Lavaadde she my god. Worked in theater and film and television. She worked with Alvin Ailey and Lena Horn and Agnes Demil and Harry Belafondi, Josephine Baker. She was married to Jeffrey Holder, the iconic Jeffrey Holder. Like and we saw a documentary of them a few years ago on Netflix.
Speaker 1: It might still be that.
Speaker 2: I don't know the name of it, but look their names up and just talking about their life together, their creative life together. And I did not realize how tall Jeffrey Holder was compared to how small Carmen de Lava LaDue was. So like when they would dance together, we just like throw her around. Oh yeah, it was just so lovely.
Speaker 1: They were marriage for fifty nine years. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And she had the most melodious name, Carmen de la Volte. I just love saying her name.
Speaker 1: Yep. She studied with Lester Horton. Yeah, in La she.
Speaker 2: Was one of the yes, like so many, she was a foundational presence in the school of Horton Technique or as most of us who have done it, I like to call it Hurton Technique. But yeah, she was a wonderful educator.
Speaker 1: She was just a American ballet theater, yes, dance theater of chap you name it.
Speaker 2: She's like just a major jewel in the crown of dance and performance and the arts and art. Carmen de la Bolague was she was that girl and then no other way to say it.
Speaker 1: She was just that girl. Yeah, lots and lots and lots of work. What a what a what a body of work? Yes? Yeah, rest in power.
Speaker 2: She is together again with her partner.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that was a tribute I saw from a lot a lot of dancers, you know, on social media saying, you know, she is with her beloved jeff and.
Speaker 2: Jeffrey Holder has He has a dance work called Douglas, which I have decided is my favorite dance work period, full stop. And every year for Christmas I watch it as a present to myself, okay, because it's perfect.
Speaker 1: It has all of the things.
Speaker 2: So they were a fierce couple and they are together.
Speaker 1: Again, right.
Speaker 3: Bruce Crawford, Yes, Bruce Crawford who was a Madison Avenue like advertising powerhouse.
Speaker 2: He basically left advertising and went into managing the Metropolitan Opera House and revitalized the Lincoln Center, basically creating the foundation for so much wonderful and iconic art and performance that we've enjoyed as as Americans.
Speaker 1: It was ninety six, Yeah, yeah, ninety six. Hey, hey, I you know ninety six and TK Carter.
Speaker 2: Yes, most recently TK Carter passed away. This was yesterday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it came out sixty nine. Young. Yeah, he was.
Speaker 2: In Uh, he's been in so many things that I love.
Speaker 1: Growing up, he was well, you showed me pictures of him older, and I did not recognize just from those pictures.
Speaker 2: I was having a hard time finding younger and I saw pictures.
Speaker 1: Of him young, and I know exactly who he was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he had that face. I loved him.
Speaker 1: And then he became recognizable in the other pictures, but I just didn't right, It didn't click right away.
Speaker 2: He was a major character on the show Punky Brewster, which is my introduction to him. Then I realized that he was also in the original film The Thing, not the Original Thing, the John Carpenter iconic movie The Thing, and so many appearances in films and television, like I grew up with that man.
Speaker 1: Basically sixty nine young. Yeah, do we know why or how or has that not been really? I think last I saw there was.
Speaker 2: No cause of death, not immediately disclosed, but foul play is not expected, so right, yeah, so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're the ones we wrote down. They've been dropping like for lots for real, We've got we do have good news. Yes, despite the dumpster fire. I want to take a quick break before we get into it. Let's take a break and we will come back with good news. We'll be right back and we're back.
Speaker 2: Queer back, good news, good news, good news.
Speaker 1: All right. Amber Glynn is said to be the first out queer woman on the US Olympic figure skating team.
Speaker 2: Yes, I love that she.
Speaker 1: Is a she identifies as pan sexual. Yes. American figure skater made history at the twenty twenty six US Women's Figure Skating Championships when she not only beat out her competition, but secured a record breaking score that may land her on the US Olympic team. Yes, she's puised to score a spot on her first Olympic team. She is twenty six.
Speaker 2: Which would make her the oldest US Olympic women's single skater in nearly a century.
Speaker 1: Oh damn, really old. Yeah. Wow. She came out in twenty nineteen in an interview with The Dallas Voice after she watched American ice dancer Karina Manta announced she is bisexual. Hey, I did not expect it to blow up in the way that it did. Yeah, well, we never do. I'm grateful because they got my message out there. I was able to represent a lot of people that are in skating, actually queer women. So we wish her success.
Speaker 2: Maybe twenty six is old because that's around the time when you joint start talking back to you, whether you like it or not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean because I guess when you think about a lot of them, are you know, because they start so young. Yeah yeah, sixteen, seventeen, eighteen nineteen, right, so.
Speaker 2: They've probably been doing it like literally half their lives by this point.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, yeah, so ancient at twenty six. There you go. I think that's some shit. Go ahead.
Speaker 2: I put this in Good News just because her response brought me life. So the headline reads, AOC calls out pervert Jesse Waters after an invite to his show. Quote, he has sexually harassed me.
Speaker 1: Jesse Waters, she got an invitation. Would like to invite you on his show, the producer told her, asking if she'd consider making an appearance. He has sexualized me on his show. He has sexually harassed me on his show. She replied, he has engaged in horrific sexually exploitive rhetoric. The producer responded, that's not true. It is true, she snapped back, because he accused me of wanting to sleep with Stephen Miller, So why don't you tell me what you think is acceptable to tell a woman.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the video is awesome because, like she was being very matter of fact when she said that, she was like, you know, she said exactly what she said. He accused me of wanting to sleep with Steven Miller, and he was and he looked at her, that's not true, in that condescending way that they do. And she looked at him, so why don't you tell me what you think is acceptable to tell a woman? And then she gave him that facial expression that like, I'm not gonna say you got it, bitch, Now leave me to fuck alone. But that's what that look said, and then she turned and walked away and I just I love that woman so much.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, in something, civility just isn't cutting it mm hm. You know, there there is no nuance with these people anymore, there is no you know, And she's refreshing and she's cutting through a lot of bullshit. And that's one of the reasons so many people love her.
Speaker 2: And that's one of the reasons why all these mediocre as white men can't fucking stand of course, because of course she threatens them, because she's smarter than them. She actually knows and does her job. She can see right through their bullshit. She calls them on it, and she's cute and they have no chance with her, and they know it. Like it's that perfect blend.
Speaker 1: I love that shit, kind of love that because yeah and good and good.
Speaker 2: I love her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's kind of awesome, she really is. So yeah, that is what's cutting through you know, some of this, Like it makes headlines. God knows that people writing for Gavin Newsomber are making all kinds of headlines.
Speaker 2: Right, And that's a narrative they always try to put on her, like she had to like sleep with someone to get this, So she didn't sleep with someone, so she didn't get that.
Speaker 1: It's like, really though, yep, that's all we got, and yet we have all these absolute incompetence whose only qualification for that job? And I'm talking about the entire government right now that Trump is appointed. You know, they're only qualification is they're sick offense. That's it. That's it. Go down the list, Attorney General, mayas you know Kennedy, Like, these people are literally a joke and they're you know, not representing this country in any meaningful good way, losing goodwill around the world.
Speaker 2: Not only and not only are their jokes, but they're jokes that are proof that comedy is hard.
Speaker 1: Comedy is hard. Yeah, comedy is hard. But yeah, so I find it refreshing when they just call it what it is, which is another reason I love Zooran Mom.
Speaker 2: Donnie Yes who is now officially the mayor as of January first, he is kicking ass and taking names like he's just bringing all these fabulous people into his employ.
Speaker 1: Back when he was a state representative for the thirty sixth district, he backed the repeal of the walking while trans law that was a disproportionately used to arrest transgender women. He co sponsored the Gender Recognition Act, which made it easier for trans and non binary people to legally change their gender and allow the gender neutral X option. He also voted in favor of the state's Shield Law, which prevents patients and providers of gender firm and care in the state from being prosecuted by other states. These are the things we're trying to codify into law in the state of New Jersey. By the way, yeah, yeah, if if if our state legislature had a backbone and were as blue as they actually are. But anyway, I digress. While his campaign centered primarily on affordability, free buses, universal childcare, city on grocery stores, and a rent freeze on rent stabilized apartments, he also has several policies aimed at protecting and improving life for LGBTQ plus New Yorkers. And that was one of the things we loved, was, you know, his advertising looking back at the history of queer rights in New York. Yeah, you know, and how important they were and who was there and and you know the groundbreaking things that happened there, right. Yeah.
Speaker 2: He promises to make New York a refuge a sanctuary city for LGBTQ plus people and recipients of gender firming care, YEP, which would prevent the release of information or the arrest and extradition of someone based on another state's court orders.
Speaker 1: That's very important. Yeah, Queer and trance people across the United States are facing an increasingly hostile political environment. His platform states New York City must be a refuge for lgbtqia plus people, but private institutions in our own city have already started capitulating to Trump's assault on trans rights. Meanwhile, the cost of living crisis confronting working class people across the city hits the lgbtqia plus community particularly hard, with higher rates of unemployment and homelessness than the rest of the city. Yeah, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 2: It's hard enough surviving in New York just under regular circumstances, Joe.
Speaker 1: They've pledged to invest sixty five million in health care facilities that provide gender firming care, which is protected for all ages under state law, in an effort to prevent them from illegally withholding the care based on orders from a private institution operating with a quarter billion dollar public subsidies. Should not have the ability to sell out young trans New Yorkers to the Trump administration. Amen and amen. Right, that's exactly what happened to when NYU Lango and decided to stop providing gender firm and care for trans use. Yeah. Bending soon after, other private and New York City hospitals also stopped providing necessary life saving health care for trans use. These decisions are in direct contradiction with New York state law. Yep. Yeah, good. He's so clear. And that's what I loved that Bernie Sanders swore him in. Yes, perfect, perfect, because that's the thing I've always loved about Bernie is he cuts right through it and explains things in a way that folks can understand. He tells it. It's not complicated because it doesn't have to be. Right. Know, the more rhetoric is involved, the more someone is picking your pocket generally right, and protecting their own interests over the greater interests. And you know, he cuts through all of that, and so does so does Mom, Donnie, and I love it. I love it. Yeah. Yeah, it's a good day as far as I'm concerned in New York City. He is speaking with a force that I wish, you know, we had more New Jersey politicians speaking with well, because this is you know, we should be leading here, and in some ways we do and have in the past. But you know, all we got to do is take these executive orders and codify them. It's it's all written out for you all. You just got to get it out of committee and do what you said you were going to do. Right. I can't wait for them to ask me for a donation after if this doesn't go into law, I can't wait for it.
Speaker 2: Right. I love how he picked the trans rabbi for his transition team, Dine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, brilliant, brilliant because we know, the more voices that are involved, the better the policy that is created, the more inclusive it is, you know, the more it takes care of more people, more human beings.
Speaker 2: Again, out Lesbian is the Fire Department commission.
Speaker 1: I know, love that too.
Speaker 2: It's like it's almost like he's surrounding himself with people who are representative of the people who make up the city.
Speaker 1: Of New York, New York. He is that is correct, as it should as it should be, as it should be, and and there is clarity and leadership there exactly. I'm loving it so far and again, and here's the thing, here's the difference. If this this person winds up wrapped in scandal, I'll be screaming about it too, right, Yeah, this is not some cult. This is you know, when I see good government, I like to call it out. But let me find out he's did once, you know what I mean? Right? And and no, then all bets are off. That's how this is supposed to work. It's like that whole thing with pristine files, old people accountable. Yeah, I don't give a shit whose name is all? They burn him down, right, one of them.
Speaker 2: There might be Democrats and they're good.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well then to them, we should know about it, right, I mean, that's what you know when you look at some of the things that Al Franken stepped down because of vague accusations. It was nothing. He was not convicted of crimes like Trump, but he stepped away from being a senator because.
Speaker 2: It would have been a distraction.
Speaker 1: But yeah, basically, and the JUDGB do, like we do, hold one another accountable, sometimes loudly and before all the facts are even in, because that's what good government and transparency is supposed to look like. Right, Unlike everything we're seeing right now, you know, the mud and the muck and the absolute corruption is so gross and disgusting. Agreed. You know, I just want to mention, you know, there was there was an incident with the Christian uh Fuscuarana, who ran Garden City quality ablely and well for for quite some time. Apparently, you know, it looks like kind of lost it a little bit with a foster child, smacked them or hit them. Something happened, and you know it came to light. He resigned immediately. Uh you know the organization is, you know, really looking to have transparency and accountability at all the time. You know, immediately said violence of any kind not okay, right, that's how we.
Speaker 2: Do right, didn't cover it up, didn't say that's not what happened.
Speaker 1: Didn't say look over there point being how many parents. No, you know, there are moments where we just lose it. There are moments, and it doesn't always result in physical violence, of course, and should not we But I mean I was raised with people who hit me randomly, and the neighbors were allowed to fucking hit me. So yeah, yeah, anybody could smack you across them like that's just the world we all grew up in. So but look at the accountability we hold so often versus this no accountability. No, you know, when we're going to get into what just happened in Minneapolis, it's upside down. It's so upside down. Yeah. You know, our friend Natalie is in London right now, and I just saw a social media post this morning saying.
Speaker 2: I'm not afraid here right right, Yeah, let's keep going.
Speaker 1: This is good news. God damn it, where are we?
Speaker 2: So this is from England, but apparently a pole comes out that shows that almost no one is complaining about trans women and women's spaces.
Speaker 1: That is true, right, that is true.
Speaker 2: It's a document. It's a manufactured controversy, not a documented crisis. Absolutely, we've been fucking saying absolutely terfism. All of it is manufactured, and it's making many CIS women less safe.
Speaker 1: Yeah. If you know CIS women who are tend toward masculine or or don't you know, have this sense of femininity, what am I trying to say? You know, are not deemed idealized, ideal or acceptable are being harassed. They're paying the price for this nonsense. Right, Yeah, No, nobody has I mean, knock wood, but I've never had an issue in a ladiess room never never, And and you know, I don't know any trans women who are disrespectful in those single se sex spaces. We dear God, we work hard to be honored to be in them, do you know what I'm saying. Yeah, we go through a lot to access those spaces where we are safe, and you know, yeah, So I mean, okay, we're doing we're doing these studies anyway to prove what we've been, what we know is true. So yeah, bringing on. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Data from hundreds of public bodies in England shows only four complaints about transgender women and women's single sex spaces over a period of three years.
Speaker 1: Right, and they were probably politically motivated TERFs Right.
Speaker 2: It's according to advocacy group Translucent, as Scene mag reports.
Speaker 1: This is from January third.
Speaker 2: The organization released the results of six separate investigations conducted in recent years between twenty twenty two and twenty twenty four, and this is including hospitals, domestic violent shelters, local authorities that maintain pub restrooms and changing facilities to see how many official complaints about trans women and women only spaces have been documented, and the investigation specifically examined whether cisgender women, patients or service users had formally objected to sharing spaces with trans women, and so in that whole time.
Speaker 1: Four right, four right? So I know, yeah, across local authority toilets, hospital wards, and domestic abuse refuges, the evidence demonstrates the political and media rhetoric about trans women threatening women in single sex spaces is unsupported Yeah, by actual complaints. No shit, I mean, you know the downsiders, are they going to start trying to make more complaints to manufacture more stuff? But you know, truth always comes to light. The truth always comes to light. The ship that they manufacture gets shown for what it is almost always right. Of forty usable responses from authorities that maintain public toilets and changing facilities at public pools and leisure centers, Translucent found no reported complaints about trans women in twenty twenty two. In twenty twenty four, the organization found only two complaints documented by the forty seven authorities they surveyed, one about policy, one based on perception rather than confirmed identity. So that's what I'm talking about, right, You know, they perceive someone as trans and start shit, not because the person is doing anything but existing, right when it came to hospital wards. FOI requests to one hundred and two found an EHS Foundation trust between April twenty twenty and June twenty twenty two turned up no complaints from cis gender women patients about the presence of a trans woman on their ward. Subsequently, out of one hundred and fifty seven substitutive responses from NHS trusts to a December twenty twenty three survey, only one reported an incident that was not true. It is serious, according to the report. As for domestic abuse refuges, they note that a May twenty twenty four Women's Aid survey on single sex services and policies received only a twenty three point seven percent response rate, suggesting a lack of a problem. The group's own research, according to the report, has found that the domestic abuse refuge sectors established risk assessment procedures. Mixed models combining communal refuges with independent living models, and national placement systems enable services to accommodate trans women without compromising other residents' safety. Whatever that means. They as if they would, but you know, I mean in the same way that the organization I worked for generally housed trans women in the private rooms when possible. Okay, I'd rather have a private room, thanks, right, But claims of trans women invading refuges are contradicted by sector practices, which focus on individual risk assessment rather than blanket exclusions. Where exclusion occurs, it typically reflects the stance of explicitly trans hostile providers, rather than any pattern of problematic behavior by trans women seeking refuge from violence. Exactly. Yeah, they talked to a whole lot of people. This was pretty exhaustive. It's a manufactured controversy, not a documented crisis, which is what we keep saying. What we keep saying, We just want to exist, right, Just leave us alone. You don't you know, you may never understand me. I don't actually give a fuck. Leave me alone. It doesn't I'm leaving you alone. Leave me alone. Right, Yeah, So what else we got? Interestingly, the former New York City mayor Eric Adams gave trans people a huge gift just before he left office. This was, you know, tried to cozy up to the Trump administration and denounced trans students using city public school bathrooms, et cetera. But he allocated two million dollars in emergency funds to trans organizations suffering in the wake of sweeping federal aid cuts. Right on his way out the door, his final day and office was December thirty first, And you know what, cool, right, that was kind of cool.
Speaker 2: It's a lot better than what the CIS has normally do when the way out the door.
Speaker 1: We saw a need after federal budget cuts, and we are responding to it. Randy Mastro, first Deputy mayor for Adams, said the City Sealth Department will administer the emergency funds up to ninety two thousand awarded to each of roughly twenty community based organizations. They must be trans gender, nonconforming or non binary the applicants, and the money will go to nonprofits offering healthcare, housing, legal advocacy, community building, and crisis response services. Nice yeah, nice, Yeah. I mean he did some some messed up stuff, but all right, I'll take it as a parting gift, right, yeah, I mean he he was kind of all over the place with things. But you know, in the end, good because that's what needs to happen wherever possible is we've got to make up for federal funds lost, you know, right until we have the same government again, if that ever happens fingers cross, fingers crossed because Jesus dear one, Rachel Harlowe was profiled in the Inquirer. I did think we mentioned this, but anyway, we.
Speaker 2: Mentioned that it was coming okay that we saw her when yeah, we ran into Rachel.
Speaker 1: So Rachel, good God. She's an icon in Philadelphia. She's a trans woman who is just a very well known in Philadelphia with a very storied life profiled in the film The Queen, the documentary where she famously won that competition as a young person, and you know, she went on to just be very well known, very famously had an affair with Jack Kelly, Grace Kelly's brother that is apparently being profile being that story is being told in a movie, yes, that they're working on now. There's a book coming out, And they did a profile in The Inquirre talking about her life and it was really well done. Worth looking for. Yeah, good to see and it really kind of points to she was very well known in Philadelphia and loved, ye beloved. You know, she had a really cool nightclub and people went to find her and her and be around her, and she was glamorous and she was you know all that and that was back then, right, you know, back then she was an it girl. Yeah, And and absolutely was you know, what we would refer to as a doll god. But beyond that was you know, if you talk to trans elders, at least in Philadelphia, I'll tell you, in some ways it was better then. I mean, you know, more about being ignored than about being harassed. And certainly nobody was making policy against us, right, you know, and and and lying about.
Speaker 2: Us worst case scenario, nobody was talking.
Speaker 1: They left us alone, you know, as freaks. But whatever, but not always. And again she was, you know, an example of someone who really was well known and well loved. She's lived quietly now for a number of years, but we do run into fairly often in the city, and it was good to see it because we did run into the day that they did the photo shoot for the Inquire story. It came out. It's great, it's worth reading.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll link to it in the show notes.
Speaker 1: Yes please. A federal judge blocked a gender affirming care ban for trans inmates in Georgia that has been in effect for several months. Judge Victoria Calvert agreed with the plaintiffs that the blanket band violated these Amendment, which bars cruel and unusual punishment. Right, this is as it should be. So many of us have been working for and on behalf of incarcerated trans women who were seldom treated with respect or human and as humans. Well exactly, the court finds that there is no genuine dispute a fact that gender dysury is a serious medical need. Plaintiffs, through their experts, remember those, have presented evidence that a blanket ban on hormone therapy constitutes grossly inadequate care for gender dysphoya and risks imminent injury. No shit. Of course, the bill was signed into law by Governor Brian Kemp, a Republican, obviously prohibiting state funds and resources from being used to provide gender firming care to inmates injured to prisons. That even includes HRT, as well as sexual assignment surgeries or any other surgical procedures that are performed for the purpose of altering primary or secondary sexual characteristics, and even cosmetic procedures or prosthetics intended to alter the appearance of primary second sexual characteristics. They're so ignorant. Yeah, yeah. Five plaintiffs filed a lawsuit in August after it took effect in July, arguing that it constituted cruel and unusual punishment, which is absolutely true. It also claimed it violated the Equal Protection Clause, which it does. Oh and by the way, HRT and other gender firming care treatments were not banned under the bill for all inmates, only those who were trans. Of course, it also prohibited them from paying for the care themselves while they were incarcerated, so they couldn't even have access even if they paid for it. That is cool and unusual. We would never allow a state to decide that people in prison with diabetes should be cut off of insulin just because the state didn't want to pay for it anymore, said Celine Zoo, a staff attorney for the Center for Constitutional Rights, which is representing the plaintiffs. So why would we allow Georgia to cut off medically required care for people with a similarly serious diagnosis of gender dysphoria? Thank you Yeah, it was a blanket ban override the opinions of judges and doctors and even the Georgia Department of Corrections, all of whom previously acknowledged that gender affirming care is medically necessary for incarcerated trans people. Damn it. Yes and amen. You know the judge's ruling makes it clear not every inmate is entitled to gender firming care, but it puts those decisions back in the hands of medical professionals and the patients, rather than having the legislature make medical decisions for trans people. Thank you, thank you. Right, yeah and good. Of course the Department of Corrections filed a notice of appeal, So I guess we'll say, I guess we'll say where it all lands. But yeah, we do know that it is life saving and it is cruel inhuman to deny that care. Indeed, just because someone is incarcerated so accounted as a woman and accounted as good news. Definitely. Yeah. There was a lot suit in Ohio and November. At the end of November, gay student sues Catholic school for failing to stop bullying. The lawsuit alleges administrators failed to stop football players from harassing him on campus and off. A gay former student at a Catholic high school has filed a federal lawsuit accusing administrators of ignoring relentless bullying and harassment by members of the school's storied football team. The lawsuit filed by a student identified as grandson Rudolph and his legal guardian, grandmother. Rudolph, alleges that administrators shielded football players from discipline, prioritizing their protection over the safety of other students. Filed in U S District Court for the Northern District of Ohio, the suit names Ursuline High School Assistant Principal Margaret de Moore and the Catholic Diocese of Youngstown as defendants. I wholeheartedly believe that happened. Yeah. He was an now gay freshman during the two three twenty four school year. He endured daily abuse from football players, including homophobic slurs, physical intimidation, having food thrown at him hard enough to leave a visible red mark, and the mistreatment continued beyond school grounds. Yep. Andy was a freshman she yep. The filing also a llegis at a religious education teacher, Nanette Jacobs, joined in the abuse by making comments about the student's appearance. I believe that too. Oh yeah. Other teachers witnessed the behavior but took no meaningful action to stop it despite his multiple complaints. Yes, I believe that too. Been there, been there, same Yeah, and I wasn't out as anything you couldn't be out when I was in school. It was just the idea of yep, which is what we're returning back to by celebrating all. You know what I mean? This is like I said, I have seen this movie so many times. Uh huh, as have you? Yep? Yeah. The grandmother made twenty calls to the school over an eleven week span without any resolution. One reported incident Adam McDonald's involved football players mocking both the student and his grandmother. Yep. When she brought the incident to school staff, including head football coach Daniel Reardon, she was met with hostility and received no help. Wow. Yeah. As a result of an ongoing abuse and the schools in action, the grandson transferred to another school. He is now and weekly counseling, expected to continue receiving mental health support. Good good, I wish I had. Then the school declined a comment citing the pending lawsuit. Of course they did. It's the third federal lawsuit accusing this high school and several administrators and coaches of ignoring repeated reports of bullying, harassment, and assault.
Speaker 2: Shocker third yeah, yeah, I'm not shah.
Speaker 1: There is an attorney representing all three plaintiffs. Says additional lawsuits may be filed as more victims and witnesses come forward. Get them you know what, Yeah, because money seems to be the only thing they understand period. But you know it does leave them work god growing, you.
Speaker 2: Know, because literal and figuratively.
Speaker 1: Exactly, because the idea is you deserve to be treated this way because of who you are, and as if we choose to be who we are, as if like, this is absolutely a choice that this person is. Okay, the only difference is, you know, we, as queer people, said it was important to come out, and so as kids come out early and earlier, it is our job to protect them wherever and whenever we can, because yep, we said it would be safe. We thought it would by now. We thought this would be a better world for you know, teens. For five minutes it felt like it was going now way, yeah, it did, it did. But you know, that's why it's really important to keep going. That's why I mentioned that particular story because it's important and good, good, keep coming forward, keep shining a light on you know, the bullies.
Speaker 2: I kind of want to talk about the the trans woman who recorded her surgeons.
Speaker 1: Yes, let's do that. This was early in December, the story broke about a trans woman who secretly recorded her doctor during cancer surgery. This story, I love the story. Jennifer Capasso has endured a lot of hate while undergoing care at one of the world's best cancer hospitals. She is a forty two year old transgender woman with stage four rectal cancer. She filed a discrimination lawsuit against the Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in New York City after she secretly recorded her surgical team allegedly making transphoba comments about her. Of course, they denied her accusations and said her recording violated worker privacy. Excuse me, yeah, so let's not talk about the behavior, right yeah. Operating room staff preparing to remove her malignant lung tumor said that she had man parts, referring to her and her trans partner as men, and said that being trans was not right and doesn't make sense. According to The New York.
Speaker 2: Times, how the fuck did y'all get this job?
Speaker 1: I know, she said. During the March seventh procedure, an operating room nurse told a hospital administrator to change Capasa's sex and her patient records from female to male. She said this incorrect gender designation remained on her medical records until last January. She recorded the alleged comments through her phone, which she placed in a nearby handbag during the procedure. She also claimed that her co rectal surgeon misgendered her during a June twenty twenty one procedure. Surgeon's behavior made her feel unsafe and humiliated with heightened gender dysphoria. If true, the hospital's actions would violate New York City's LGBTQ Healthcare Bill of Rights, which requires healthcare workers to recognize a firm and document a patient's designated name and pronounce in medical records. The lawyer's claim the recording was largely inaudible, making it impossible to ascertain the speakers or the full context of their discussion. This is the lawyer speak. Yeah, yeah, exactly, This is a lawyer speak. The secret recording captured portions of a discussion that occurred during surgery while plaintiff was under anesthesia, in which staff members discussed plaintiff's transgender status, with every reasonable expectation that plaintiffs would not hear the.
Speaker 2: Discussion, right, It's not possible to hear who's speaking, you know, one in her because she's under anesthesia, So anybody else in the.
Speaker 1: Room reasonable expectators. So because she couldn't hear them, it was okay for them to be assholes and say whatever they want to say. Huh. A third of trans people reported negative experiences with health care providers, including verbal harassment or a refusal of care, according to the twenty fifteen US Transgender Survey. A twenty nineteen study in the Journal of Clinical Oncology found eighty three percent of oncologists said they wanted to learn more about caring for transpatients. Only thirty seven percent felt they knew enough to adequately care for trans people as whole. Agreed. Cabasa said she continues to receive care there because it's one of the world's best cancer hospitals. And I don't blame her, and I get it, but why do we have to be humiliated in the process that part? You were healthcare workers. You know, if anyone should know and have access to information, it is a healthcare professional. First, do no harm? Right, Well, they weren't doing harm because she was you know, she was under so I and you were doing harm to everyone in the room because that's what you support. And everyone there who didn't correct you when you were saying you're ugly shit right, you're all complicit.
Speaker 2: So I had multiple feelings about this, and I talked to you about this when I put this on here, and I wanted to save it for the podcast. So I love that she was smart enough to do this, to put a recorder in her purse. And I guess the lizard part of my brain is like, damn. Part of me wishes that we as the public didn't know about this, only because I would love for more people to do this so we could find out a whider, like a whier swath of what is going on in the operating room.
Speaker 1: Okay, well yeah you said that, and I was like, what the fuck, dude, Well, only because she's got stage four cancer, you know, her staying quiet only nothing happens. If nothing happens.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying I stay quiet. I'm saying, my whole thing.
Speaker 1: I still record the shit. They can still do it.
Speaker 2: My whole thing is now I'm not saying don't record. I'm just saying, like, part of me is like, now that it's public that she did this, they're going to start covering their tracks more and before more people can get to do.
Speaker 1: This, maybe I doubt it. You're assuming they'll put effort unto it. This is true, they don't. They refuse us care at the door, Charles. In many places in this country they just flat out won't take care of us, and in states in this Union they're allowed to do that. It's yeah, we don't go to Florida because I would like the EMTs to have to like resuscitate me.
Speaker 2: I just want more of these people to get caught with their pants down on this ship, is all I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Well, I think that that could happen, and this may be the start of that. And I want this to put a chill up their spines. Definitely. I want them to think twice about the ways they talk about us in providing US healthcare. I want more education out there because if anyone, I mean, you know, and I am spoiled because I finally got gender affirming care and found out what it could be right to be respected, to be treated with dignity in a medical office, to be taken care of. I don't have all the horror stories, but boy do my friends, Boy do they have horror stories of being misgendered, of being made the brunt of a joke in a medical office, of having to fight with the insurance companies over and over and over again because they have the correct gender marker, but then they can't get the correct care for their bodies, right, because we hold to the letter of it, not the spirit. So I'm perfectly good with this coming to light, and I think it's in and it came to light at a prestigious hospital where maybe they'll fucking do something about it. Maybe they'll do something. I mean, I hear, I see what their lawyers are already doing, and it's just it's repugnant, right, Instead of saying, boy, this is a chance for education, boy, we need to really address this when you talk about what respect looks like and keep your shit to yourself and provide medical care. That's what you're there to do. Period.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: I understood what you're saying, but it doesn't look at the larger picture. You're saying, there's a larger picture, and we would gather more evidence. We already have the evidence. We live the evidence every fucking day. We know what's happening. I don't care if it's called once or a hundred times. It's unlikely to make a big difference, but I'd rather see it brought to light fair than not when policy is going in the opposite direction. And even states like New Jersey refused to codify executive orders into law like they promised. Well, you know, even in those situations, right, it's not getting better. It's in so many ways it's getting worse because they're they're trying to make it law against all decency, humanity, and common sense to mistreat us. This makes it a little bit black and white, like are you okay with this? Really? Is this okay? Right? They're talking about me this way? What are they saying about you while you're under well m And wouldn't it be interesting if some sists people started doing it right? It's you know, it's it's not okay, and it's disrespectful and we need to treat one another better. I'm you know she I'm I'm glad she came forward.
Speaker 2: I mean, I am too.
Speaker 1: And of course this benefits if anyone folks in the future, more than it ever benefits are right, because she's got to listen to lawyers, you know, critique her and say, you know, how she was wrong and all this other bullshit.
Speaker 2: I think it was brilliant the problem.
Speaker 1: I think it was brilliant for to do it so because you can tell when things are going and maybe they're they're at least a little more afraid of her now, you know, as they should be. Just provide the care without. We don't need the commentary.
Speaker 2: No one does, No one fucking does.
Speaker 1: Right, let's take a break and we'll be right back. Okay, and we are back. We're back. It's time were our favorite segment, which we like to call people taking pleasure. And so I'll let you start this off because I think you take more joy even than I do. Chaw. So this just came out last week, uh famously ex gay. There is no such thing as an X gay. Just let's just yeah, that's that's why. That's what you're going to see, a unicorn literally walking down Hollywood Boulevard before you see someone who's actually before you find yes, an ex gay.
Speaker 2: So Donnie m practicing yes.
Speaker 1: Okay, and quietly practicing gays like this.
Speaker 2: One, Donnie McClerkin who thinks considers himself to be an ex gay.
Speaker 1: Well, that's what that's what she's trying to sell.
Speaker 2: Anyway exactly was recently accused of sexual assault by another.
Speaker 1: Man, sexually assaulting yet another man.
Speaker 4: Yes, mm hmm.
Speaker 2: The gentleman in questions name is Giseppe Corletto, who said that McClerkin groped and raped him. McClerkin denies the allegation.
Speaker 1: Of course he does in the name of Jesus right, So of course we are not taking pleasure in the fact that this man was assaulted at all.
Speaker 2: But the whole point being. Donnie McClurkin has spent so much of his career as a preacher preaching about the virtues of praying away the gayness, which is not a thing never has worked. In fact, I was so upset to find out that the one song of his that I like, we fall down, that's what it's about. You fall down, we get up a saying is just a sinner who fell down, then got up and then got on his knees again.
Speaker 1: Wait, my bad, you know uh I this this just reminds me of something our friend Lisa reposted from Them, where gospel singer Yolanda Adams said of LGBTQ plus people, God is not surprised by anyone He created yep. I just saw thank you, yeah, thank you, and she said, yes, yes, yes. I don't understand why people can't just get this through their heads. She was at our wedding, by the way. Uh huh, what the thank you? But I'm just I just saw that this morning, and it's like the contrast between this and McClerkin saying, yeah, you can pray it away. It's satan, No, honey, it's not.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So, Corletto said. He was twenty one when he first attended services at mclerkin's church on Long Island in two thousand and three. He was motivated by reading mcclerkin's autobiography, in which the singer said his religious faith helped him overcome the quote unquote curse of being gay. Yepes At the service, mclerkin quote talked about being raped as a child, which resonated with me because that's similar to my story, corletto said. McClerkin claimed the abuse made him gay. Corletto met McClerkin after the event, and the two became friends. McClerkin hired him as his assistant. H Corletto first saw McClerkin as a mentor. Mm hmm, here we go. But soon McClerkin began to grope Corletto as they prayed together for Corletto to be cured of homosexuality.
Speaker 1: I have read this book.
Speaker 2: God couldn't even get through the prayer for Jesus to take it away, as it supposedly already did him before he starts being all homosexual.
Speaker 1: It also occurred during services at his Acting Faith church, according to the suit, and he further religes McClerkin raped him. Yeah. Ah, hey, I'm not surprised, because you know, a lot of shit happens with all of this repression right just look around people, my god. Corletta tried to quit his job, but mcclarkin used guilt to persuade him to stay. He finally took a position with an airline in two thousand and eight. Mclarkin continued to contact him and in twenty thirteen sexually assaulted him in a hotel room in Niagara Falls. Allegedly right after that the city ledges. Mclarkin sent Corletto an email saying, I am the actual epitome of a desperate, dirty old man pawning and groping a young man who is just looking for a friendship and close plutonic, platonic relationship with someone he wants looks too for help, guidance and spirituality. Uh huh. He attempted to take his life after the incident, then returned to mcclarkin's church for a brief period. He soon decided to cut mcclarkin out of his life good. He discovered the twenty thirteen email last year, and that convinced him. I didn't make this up. I wasn't crazy. I felt vindicated in some ways. He's literally admitting to his guilt. He has now embraced his sexuality and stopped trying to change it. Good for you, His lawyer said. Mcclarkin took advantage of his client who was confused and had problems accepting his sexuality coupled with his religious beliefs. And that's what they feed on. By claiming that they're not that anymore, that's what they feed on. It doesn't work that way, Yeah, And of course his attorney is denying it all. They grossly mischaracterized interactions which occurred. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I am glad that this person has accepted themselves as they are. I hope that they can find some peace after what had happened to him, and I just need Donny McClerkin to like do the same for himself, because it's not cute, you know, it was. It's one thing when you were just lying to yourself and acting like we can't see you, But now you're harmed. You're directly harming other people and we see that too, And now you're going to have to come up off some money and possibly.
Speaker 1: Go to jail.
Speaker 2: Hey, hey, if God don't make no mistakes.
Speaker 1: Then you being gay is right on, Brian hun. But you know, when it's not bad. The self loathing is bad enough. God knows and runs so deeply in our communities. That's bad enough. But then when what is vile beyond words is taking that and realizing you can turn a profit with it, yep, realizing that you can create victims, yep, that you know you can? Yeah, fuck around, And it all is rooted in self loathing. It all is rooted in you know, ridiculous attitudes about homosexuality and about you know, femininity, all the things, all the things, and looks like a chicken coming home to roost me. But yeah, I guess we'll see what it plays out.
Speaker 2: But my whole thing is always. If you want proof that homosexuality is part of God's design, just look at the placement of the prostate period.
Speaker 1: That's all true, true, you know. Yeah, I'm sorry, but can't help but feel like they feels like it makes sense.
Speaker 2: Yes, the shod and for it is on Donnie mclarkin's partner.
Speaker 1: This poor man's absolutely and I hope he gets paid.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: I hope the poor man gets paid and gets vindicated. And you know, I'd like to see mcclarkin finally disgraced and go away or just admit who you are, right, admit I just you know, I've.
Speaker 2: Said so many times to certain individuals. I'm not saying you ever have to actually suck a dick.
Speaker 1: Just admit you want to. You will feel so much better. And you know, and really what disgusts me is this idea that sexual assault made me get No, it doesn't. It never did, it never will. I know plenty of straight men who were sexually assaulted, you know, and otherwise when they were young. Didn't make them gay. Nope, fucked them up right, didn't make them gay.
Speaker 2: Right if you ended up if you were gay as well.
Speaker 1: If you happen to be gay and that was what they smelled or by and that is what they smelled. That is a different issue. But we we you know, we have just two things can be true at the same time. But it's not causality. Dear God, what religion has done to us anyway, It's been delicious not watching Trump bastardize the Kennedy Center with his disgusting name, but the fallout.
Speaker 2: Nobody wants to play with that man, right.
Speaker 1: The list of people who have canceled, most recently Bellaflac, Yeah, some some can't afford to cancel and are still canceling, which is that's the mark of what you stand for. You know. No, as much as I will miss this payday, I'm not doing it. I love it. I am here for And again I've talked about this before. It's like, you know, we see some hideous things happen. The response is what I always look for, you know, because there's our humanity, there's where our fortitude lives, There's where our stuff lives as human beings, and God, is it happening. Hamilton Lin Manuel Miranda canceled the entire run.
Speaker 2: Stephen Schwartz was supposed to do a whole wicked thing.
Speaker 1: All that right, there's a hole in their whole.
Speaker 2: Doug Vveronan Dancers, proud of y'all.
Speaker 1: Uh huh. There the Washington National Opera, left ypay, the American College Theater Festival, Yep, who's he is it? Like the Kid Rock Theater now? What right cha? Chi? Five nights a week?
Speaker 2: They got vanillas now too?
Speaker 1: And the oh there's a housewag in charge.
Speaker 2: So Richard Grenell, right, and every time someone quits he blames it on like the woke mob got to them.
Speaker 1: The woke mob. Yeah, the woke mob. Wow.
Speaker 2: It was like, no one wants to put their name anything with.
Speaker 1: Your name, nobody, right, thank you, people of good conscience don't want to be anywhere near you. Right and good, he's the right, Christy Lee, Wayne Tucker, the Bernardo Quintet with Zonon Wang Magpie, Doug Veronon Dancers, comedy show Asian af the touring production of Hamilton, Chuck Read the Cookers, Stephen Schwartz, Rihanna Giddons and Balloon, and the cast members from a performance of Le Mans also boycotted an event. Yeah, it keeps going.
Speaker 2: My favorite was Chuck Red is a jazz musician, and every time someone cancels, everyone starts talking about them about how like you know you're you're not there to perform for everyone. I thought art was supposed to be for everyone.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, how are you going.
Speaker 2: To pretend now that you like jazz when you know you clap on the one in the three?
Speaker 1: Don't be fucking with me? Well there's time. Yeah, I mean, this was talk about overstepping your bounds and find just fuck this is fuck around and find out mm hmm. You can put your name on it, but that ain't nobody going to show up. Nobody, and I mean no motherfucking body wants to play with you. I wonder how Glory Gainers feels today. I mean, I mean, she's still staunch. Probably everybody who took that aboard I'm just done with.
Speaker 2: And Nicki Minaj is selling her soul what everybody else?
Speaker 1: What is that even about? I don't even.
Speaker 2: She's trying to get a pardon for her rapist and abusers in her family.
Speaker 1: Oh that's right, Yeah, that's right, Yeah, that makes sense. At least there's a reason this is what I want to see happen, because this tells me America is not going yet, yep, because you know how many times have I said, where are all the artists? Where are all the smart people? Where are? You know? Like we need to hear more from them and less from you know, we need to keep countering this shit left, right and sideways. And this is this is absolutely happening with the Kennedy Center. Yeah, you know, not having it, not having it, You're not going to do it, not there, And I'm here for all of it.
Speaker 2: And the part that cracks me up the hardest, it's not even like he had the Kohane is to take the Kennedy name off and put it on, put his name up.
Speaker 1: He put his name above Yep. They what in the TEAMU fucking It's like, what are you doing? This is It's all completely this was all predictable. It's like me trying to have the Charles Tyson Washington monument, like what has always been a joke, Yeah, a joke, uh huh for forty years. Now he's got a whole country to do it with yea and two yeah, and he is. Yeah, nobody should be surprised.
Speaker 2: Nobody is.
Speaker 1: That's the thing. Well, some of the mega folks are kind of surprised because it is trickling down. It is a lot of some of this is affecting them, not the Kennedy Center, but yeah, other shit. But I love seeing this. I love seeing the arts community saying no, no, now, yeah, you know that it is no longer prestigious, not while you're involved. There actually is.
Speaker 2: A growing number of people who were like, yeah, I made fun of y'all when when Trump won and I called you snowflakes, and and you know, I still don't agree with anything you stand for, but you know, I am coming to terms with the fact that he lied about things that I voted for him for. So you know, you might have had a point and so, and the point of that is like, okay, good, but don't expect us to like bring you into the fold and woo woo woo with you because you finally see some of the light. It's like, no, I will not give you makeup tips on how to hide the leopard byite marks on your face.
Speaker 1: Bitch, deal with it. You got damn self. It's going to be you know, when we say this is effect will affect generations, it absolutely will in so many ways. If there's a country left when we're done with all this nonsense. But you know, one of the things I wonder is, how do families, because we've seen this, We've talked to people, we know some people, we've had it happen with us. How do you heal families? How do you come back into the fold when you know you loudly supported this and left and went to January sixth on the bus. We know somebody who did that? Yep, And yeah, and then when your kids aren't talking to you, you wonder why. And you know, we have someone who was a very good friend and very close to us, and who is apparently full on mega at this point. And had you known this person prior, you would never ever have believed it. Right, that this was a very intelligent, very progressive thinking human and the arts community. Yeah, I mean, he always had a streak of the toxic masculinity in him, but there was that, there was a little of that, But I didn't think it was stupid. And I chalked that up to you know, being of a certain age and white and male, and you know all that, right, there was a little of that, the misogyny, sure, right, you know.
Speaker 2: But he also listened when you checked him used.
Speaker 1: To did at one time. Yeah, used to learn from from shit and that all went away.
Speaker 2: Now everything everyone's wrong with him?
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, and it started with COVID yet started with the vaccines. Yep, he's still going on and yeah still apparently. I wouldn't know, but I wonder, how does that ever heal? Like, let's say we finally wake up, because some people are it's it's almost like they're waking up, going oh shit. I was totally deranged. I jumped onto this because it spoke to all of my fears and insecurities about being whatever, I don't know, under educated, poor, you know, all the things I get, you know, but whatever it was that attracted people of that and deep down at your racism, oh, deep down at your bigotry. Deep down you know it's your fear of the other because you've been led to, you know, and you want to celebrate what you value. I guess, but what happens? How does that ever fix? I don't know if it does, I don't know how you repair that. You know, even because there's a couple of people I can think of that, you know, it might be a long road back because you brought it into our relationship I didn't right, you did.
Speaker 2: You'll have to do a whole lot of repairative work before I'll even write.
Speaker 1: You condemned me. You condemned me. You came into my to condemn me for not supporting your support of this president. And because I I was smart then and now and I knew better then and now, and I never lied to you, but you wanted to believe his lies over someone You've known my whole You've known me my whole life. So how do you I'm not sure how that gets reconciled, especially as time goes on, right, don't know, don't know.
Speaker 2: It brings to mind one of my favorite quotes, don't hold on to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making making it.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, yeah, absolutely, We're still in Chaddenboden.
Speaker 2: So this is this is this happens at the beginning of December.
Speaker 1: I love this.
Speaker 2: I held on to it because I really wanted.
Speaker 1: To talk about this. So I want more of this.
Speaker 2: Yes, this delightful woman Okay, her name is not is not mentioned here.
Speaker 1: So is a.
Speaker 2: Delightful black woman on TikTok. She took it upon herself to drive three hours documented this three hours to knock on this white man's door and confront him with the racist comments that he put on one of her posts. She gets to his job, she knocks on the door and he opens the door. She asks for someone named Mike. Does a man named Mike work here? He was like yes, and she asked to come in. And then she says, a couple of days ago, you left the comment under somebody's comment section. Do you remember that it was regarding the Tennessee District seven. And of course he's like, no, no, Well she took screenshots. You use the N word, and you accuse black people of constantly whining. Well, I'm here to give you the opportunity to apologize before I show your wife your Grinder profile.
Speaker 1: Oh oh, and she was basically like you. Grinder is a gay hookup app where you can see where gay men are in proximity to you to have sex with them. Uh huh yeah, And she very like you see how easy it was for me and have them. You see how easy it was for me to find you. It's not cool, right, So I'm giving you the opportunity to apologize. I'm going to show your wife the Grinder account I found. He agreed to apologize. I she pulled out a written apology and asked him to read it on camera. Yep, yeah, I might apologize for my actions. I can see the consequences of my actions, and I will not do this to anyone else ever again.
Speaker 2: And then when you finish, you went it was so nice meeting you, And then.
Speaker 1: That's all she wanted. Yea.
Speaker 2: And I was just like, she is doing the Lord's work, and I think more.
Speaker 1: People should do that. I do too.
Speaker 2: I thought that was tasty, delicious.
Speaker 1: You know, because and like I said, I've taken to thinking they all must be bots. It just helps my mental health. But you would never say to me in person what you'll say to me online. I know that's right. You wouldn't dare say to me in person what you will say to me with your face book muscles and your face buck balls. You would never dare in person, right, You just wouldn't.
Speaker 2: Which is the exact opposite of you and I, because we will happily repeat ourselves to your face because we have the courage of our conviction.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. Oh yeah, I'll back it up.
Speaker 2: I just got into this with someone the other day because it was someone was being like extremely misogynistic and you know, and being. And then someone else is like, well, not all men. And I said, I say this a hundred times if I said it once, not all men, but enough of you bitches to warrant the conversation. And someone was like, oh see, you're one of those people. You talk all big and bad online, but then if if you were in person, you wouldn't be saying that calling people bitches. I was like, first of all, that's your takeaway from what I said. That's a whole other set of problems. Second of all, I absolutely would repeat myself. You obviously have no idea who I am.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't. I don't get it like I don't, but but I know most of these people mm hmm, wouldn't dare, right, I.
Speaker 2: Have one face and one person.
Speaker 1: You wouldn't dare You wouldn't call me those names. No, I probably outweigh you. I probably cast a shadow over you when we stand one another. And don't trifle with me because I don't trifle with you. I treat others with respect and you'll treat me with respect, and you just wouldn't. And that's what blows me away with social media is you forget yourself. Sorry some of y'all. Some of y'all are making a nickel a post I guess or whatever and don't care and or hiding behind a pick name or whatever. But this is the thing people for like think there's anonymity, but they're real people and they can be traced, and I love it when they are. Oh yeah, and they lose their job and that's called fuck around and find out that is not called that you were canceled whatever. Some of y' all deserve to be canceled if that is how you choose to conduct yourself, And God bless her, because yeah, yeah, the hypocrisy is astounding, and it's the hypocrisy. I thought we used to loathe in this country. I really did. I across political lines. I thought we hated hypocrisy. Yeah truly, I thought, you know, we haveing only one face meant something, right.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Oh there's this one streamer. He's on Twitch, I think, and he's a young black dude and I live for this shit, like cause the gamer community is like the toxic is fuck and so like there's always these like fourteen fifteen year old white kids that talk all kinds of shit when there's a black person there, yep, and call him all kinds of like monkey and and all this shit. So there was one time someone was trying this at saying black people aren't aren't the same species and your monkeys and your apes and but da da dah. So he pulls out a banana and starts eating it and goes, oh, is this you? Says his real name is your address, dada da da. Your mother's name is da da da da.
Speaker 1: You're just name.
Speaker 2: You see how easily can do this? So oh and you're on camera right now, and then all of the kids sudden, the kids say, oh, you're just going to ruin a fourteen year old's life. Like oh no, no, no, no, no no, you were you were big and bad five seconds ago when I was a monkey. Now you're fourteen.
Speaker 1: No fuck that.
Speaker 2: He's like, can I apologize? No no, no, it's too late for that shit.
Speaker 1: Now. Didn't Brian Simms do that like called somebody's grandmother or something or called their house? It was like, yeah, somebody, I think somebody called him a faggot and like called and said, oh you're his grandmother. Well I just wanted you to know. Ah, yes, uh Yeah, that's because you know what, being polite t all doesn't matter. Nope, you all are not impressed with polite and and and we ain't got another notepa. It is for none of us that you other have anything to apologize for by existing. Therefore, right, some of this is the medicine you have ritually asked for. You know, if rent boys in DC kept better records, we would have better laws. Oh, I'm just saying we would have better laws. Yes, the Democrats don't crash grinder wherever they gather exactly, but boy do conservatives.
Speaker 2: I love swift retribution, right, it makes me happy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm just saying. You know that we used to say hypocrisy, and particularly hypocrisy where you, you know, create laws that affect the lives of other people, but hypocrisy in general mattered. Yeah, you know, and if you're gonna this was beautiful because if you're gonna around calling black people the M word. Yeah, I think your wife should understand the fullness of you mm hm, because I don't think she makes many of her own decisions at this point, probably because of the substances she needs to live with you.
Speaker 2: And it's so easy to find these things well.
Speaker 1: And that's just the point. It's like, you're not anonymous, No, we can see you. And is this what you want your children to look back on? It's the pictures of Grandma holding up the signs when Ruby Bridges was you know what I mean. It's it's that it's the screaming and the ugly and the nasty that is you know, I mean, it's there for all eternity. It is part of history and you can't erase it. You can try, God knows you can try. It's going to keep coming back. Yep, it's going to keep coming back. And I love that she just went, you know what, right, not today?
Speaker 2: I got time today?
Speaker 1: Not today? Yeah, not today. I love it. So anyway, I just want to mention as we close out this segment, Riley Gaines oh Chuck tied from fifth place in Outsports Asshole of the Year award. That's she couldn't even win that shade that it's closed, but no cigar for the former college swimmer.
Speaker 2: They were like, whatever wherever we place her, it's got to be fifth.
Speaker 1: It is a Yep, it's a familiar position for her. This was just for eighteenth in outsports dot Com. She is an asshole. Yeah, she really is. But she placed fifth best ass.
Speaker 2: You can't even win that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she gets twenty five thousand dollars a pop. It's speaking engagements, and she visited the White House. They will pay that much to hear vitriol and hate that backs up their insanity. And she jumped onto that like she can't swim, which was you know, supposed to be the point. But she can talk, she is, So she realized that trashing Lea Thomas would get her paid, so she did so. She sold her absolute soul. Yeah to pound only a Thomas cute, m cute, and they both came in fifth. That is the disgusting party.
Speaker 2: She made coming in fifth, tying for fifth place her entire personality.
Speaker 1: Exactly. It's not like you didn't win, because she won. And even in that case, Leah Thomas won one fucking race that won and lost what three And this is what we're counting. This is one of the ones she lost, as did Rightley game. Yes, they came they both came in fifth, but I guess I don't know. She would have had fifth place all on her own.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not like if if Leah Thomas hadn't swamp swam in that race, is not like, oh then you would have won.
Speaker 1: No, at best, you would have been fourth. Call your ass. Yeah, yeah you sucked chick. Yeah she's fading finally, Yeah, I mean aoc even maybe if you channeled all this anger into swimming faster, you wouldn't have come in fifth. See yeah, it's it's true. It's funny. It's so funny. It's incredible. It's incredible that she is still around and that people pay her to talk. I mean, making a career out of being mediocre is not a new thing, I know, but it's it's it's disgusting. Oh, I agree, it's just disgusting. Anyway, didn't even place first as asshole of the Year and out sports she played fits and this has been your moment sad employ people taking pleasure.
Speaker 2: And I suppose I am to be the one to ask this next question of you a.
Speaker 1: Year, it's more than once a year.
Speaker 2: But do you have a fifteen minute fait I do? Would you like to tell us about it?
Speaker 1: Sure? Sure? This is you know, this is one of the songs that I can play over and over again. I can tell you I played it a lot on my way to work. Played it a lot when I lost my job, and it always makes me feel a little bigger and a little better when I need it. I have it on repeat and it is more than a fifteen minute fave. So yeah, it's it's maybe the summary of my sixtieth birthday from twenty fifteen Rachel Platin. This is fight song, sending big ways and emotion like I was single, can make a hard over. I might only have one match, but I can make any exposion and all those things I did, sash flording balls, a sad afraid and I was scream and I have tonight. Can you hear my voice?
Speaker 2: This time?
Speaker 1: This is my fat song?
Speaker 2: Take back my life, son through the life, sum starting right now, healthy Stop, I'll my mid so.
Speaker 1: In the bly can no believe because I've still got a lot if I left in me.
Speaker 2: She was in friends and I'm shasting sleep.
Speaker 1: Everybody's worrying from me. In Tudi.
Speaker 4: Say Tudi, and we're back, We're back.
Speaker 2: I always feel a little taller after that song. That is a good song. I call that a triumphant song.
Speaker 1: I love triumphant song. I do too. Actually, yeah, and sometimes we need them word it is time for the cavalcade nonsense. Yes, and.
Speaker 2: Given what's on it, I have whittled it down to one story because it's plenty.
Speaker 1: It is plenty, and you know, we need to not only say her name, Renee Nicole Good, yes, but we really need to talk about what the fuck is going on.
Speaker 2: I've been so angry the past few days, and in a way unlike the way I'm usually angry.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, because an ice agent and ice should not exist in its current iteration. Nop. It is despicable, it is disgusting. It is you know, the rejects from January sixth being you know, given jobs basically anyway. One of them shot and killed thirty seven year old Renee Nicole Gold in Minneapolis last Wednesday, sparking candlelight vigils and protests across this country as good good.
Speaker 2: And kicking over candles of the at the vigil ice agents. Oh oh you didn't see this.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, there was a candlelight vigil. Let's let's get to that.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, so let's I'm sorry, I have.
Speaker 1: She was present at what appeared to be a large gathering of ice agents or Portland Avenue South, According to multiple videos of the incident. In the videos, multiple ICE agents are shown approaching her van, which briefly blocked ICE vehicles in the street. One of the agents attempted to open the driver's door, saying get out of the fucking car. She pulled her vehicle away and accelerated forward, and another agent fired three shots through the car.
Speaker 2: Window, one in the front, two on the side.
Speaker 1: Yep. The car then crashed into another parked vehicle nearby. She was transported to Hennepin County Medical Center, where she was later pronounced it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've seen that video from multiple angles.
Speaker 1: Federal agents kept a nearby doctor from approaching the scene to administer care that might have been life saving. These people are way out of control. And I guess you know, we now know she was a white queer wife and mother, and maybe the fact that she's white wild. I don't know, right, but you could be next. Is the message to all of this. Yeah. They have been vile, vile, None of them are qualified for this shit, right. This government has been vile. And what they've had to say. They tried to trash this woman. They have lied about her. Christy Nome claimed she had intentionally attempted to weaponize her vehicle Nope, to injure Ice agents with her car. Trump claimed she viciously ran over the Ice agent Nope, and was killed in self defense, and baselessly called her wife, heard screaming in the in some of the videos, a professional agitator. This is what we've come to. Yeah, no, go ahead, go off. Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: So first of all, right, so I've seen this. I've seen multiple camera angles of this happening. Someone took the time to do a three D model to read like to to show it from all angles.
Speaker 1: There.
Speaker 2: There's no way any of their arguments hold any kind of water. She was not advancing toward any of them. She was turning to get a way to move the car that they fucking told her to move, Okay, and she was right. The one Ice agent was in front of her car. She did not aim at anyone, and she wasn't moving that fast because she was trying to not hit anyone or anything. But he was mad that she didn't like listen, she wasn't afraid of him.
Speaker 1: Her and she wasn't going to get out of the car, right, So he fired, which surprises no woman.
Speaker 2: Right, So you fired three shots?
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is a very fragile white man. This is what they're capable of when when they feel not taken seriously threatened in they not not even threatened, laughed at in the least, not given the full dignity they want because they now have some stupid title. Whatever the fuck, that's what this is, right, that's all this is. This woman did nothing wrong. I hope this has been my thought. I hope this is the televised fire hoses. I hope that is this moment. Right, you know, it moves the needle when it is a person of color. Now it's a white lady. Now what And they're trying to use the fact that you excuse a good missie queer, so.
Speaker 2: Right, you're trying to they were trying to use the fact that she's queer to like diminish her her fucking value, as if that you know what I'm saying, Like of course, like, of course, like so that is disgusting. Like I am not trained in law enforcement, and my first thought would be, okay, fine, if you're in that situation you feel that that's a threat, you shoot the tires, not the driver, right, m hm, just me. Apparently after he killed her, he could be heard saying fucking bitch, like really really, so that's right. That goes to show that really all it was was you were trying to show that uppity woman a lesson for not.
Speaker 1: Listening to your act. That is correct, That is not. That is not a man in fear of his life. Now, that's a man whose ego has been brushed against.
Speaker 2: Not to mention, she was moving at such a low rate of speed that he had three to five business days to get the fuck out of the way.
Speaker 1: I'm threatned. My life was threatened, Like get the fuck out of here.
Speaker 2: No, no, And then there was a candlelight vigil for the woman that they murdered, and there's agents there, and there's video of this one kicking over candles, just kicking them over, and someone was like, do you understand what you just did? And all they have to say is back up, Like do you know why that was there?
Speaker 1: Back up? Do you know why that candle was there? Back up?
Speaker 2: It was this is a vigil for this woman.
Speaker 1: Back up.
Speaker 2: And then he pushed the guy back. It's like they're bullies. They're the fucking Gestapo. That's all they are. This is Gestapo two point Oh you can't tell me different. No, I do enjoy the fact that there is a resurgence of armed Black Panther members.
Speaker 1: Out in public. We now know this jackass's name is Jonathan Ross. Yes.
Speaker 2: I normally don't like to say the names of people like this and give them lighter air. But no, say his motherfucking name because they always high their faces and you're so big and bad. Why can't we see your face?
Speaker 1: Yep, forty three year old firearms instructor who appears to have defended white supremacists online. No kidding, no kidding, Uh huh, that's who that is. Yeah, she was a thirty seven year old poet and mother. Yeah, mm hmm. Yeah. The man who called her a fucking bitch after he shot her gonessent wrong, she was attempting to leave the scene, yeah, real quick.
Speaker 2: Now might be a good time to point out there is an app that exists.
Speaker 1: I have it on my phone. It's called kochie c OQ.
Speaker 2: You I and you put your your location in and it gives you a live map of your immediate surroundings all the way out to the world at a glance, and it shows you where I say, agents are at any given time. How does it know because it's it's user driven. So when you see them, you put it in and it tells you ICE. It tells you police you can put in if they're still there, how long they've been there.
Speaker 1: He has an enforcement and Removal Operations agent that's a madeup with ICE. He was deployed at to Iraq in two thousand and four and five Stormtrooper, where he operated machine guns on patrol trucks before joining Border Patrol in two thousand and seven and eventually ICE in twenty fifteen when he moved to Minneapolis. So Storm big Man has always done this bullshit. He's a member of the SWAT Team, the Saint Paul Special Response Team, and a joint FBI Anti Terrorism Task Force, but he can't handle a woman not immediately listening to order.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is the same reason why you know, women walk with their keys in their hands like a you know, like a weapon. These are the reasons why women cover their drinks. These are the reasons why women don't travel alone. These are you know, these are the reason why there's codes at bars like can I get an angel shot to let someone know that there's a man there that won't leave you alone. This all comes down to, like these fragile male egos that can't they can't handle their own irrelevance, They can't handle their own mediogrity, so they got to exert any kind of power yep. And it's never against someone as big as they are.
Speaker 1: Of course not. Friends and family describe him as a hardcore conservative Christian and magas supporter these sports don't tread on Me flags and Trump dvance stickers. Social media posts reveal him arguing with his family over the white supremacist group the Proud Boys. His sister Nicole posted a photo on Facebook in October of twenty twenty of herself wearing a face mask with the caption I denounce and condemn white supremacy. Ross replied in a comment that has since been deleted, prompting Nicole to respond, we have to respectfully disagree. You are my brother and I love you, but we will not engage in a debate on Facebook. Last year, he broke a suspects car window Yep. When a man wouldn't fully roll down his window, he broke it. He broke the car's rear window in an effort to unlock the door from the inside, and the driver did accelerate, dragging him about three hundred feet down the road while he attempted to taze the driver. Yeah, so we go right to.
Speaker 2: All these guys. Is another video of one of these guys pointing a gun at an unarmed protester telling him, telling him to move to back up, and the guy wouldn't move. He took his gun out and pointed at his face.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And the Trump administration has nothing but lies, insulting her memory and insulting her intelligence. CHRISTI nom should be in jail. Yeah, truly, truly, and and and I can't believe there are Republicans who don't agree, can't believe it, don't want to believe it. She was probably kind of terrified, and she tried to leave, right. He stepped away from the vehicle in order to fire their shots. Right. They were never in any danger being hit by her. They weren't. But this is this is.
Speaker 2: And and you're claiming that she weaponized her vehicle. That's not the playbook. She didn't by leaving, right, that's the playbook of these maga people in these white premises. Those are the ones you see doing that shit.
Speaker 1: They are the ones who weaponize a vehicle.
Speaker 2: Uh, huh, Charlotte, Yep, yep, yep, which is why that's your frame of reference. So that must be it. It's that whole thing. If you lie and cheat and steal, everyone else must be a liar, cheater and a thief.
Speaker 1: That's how this works. Yeah.
Speaker 2: My first thought is, oh, mow him down, so that must be what she did.
Speaker 1: Maybe I don't think it's that, though, because that would mean he equates his behavior with that of a woman, and that will never happen. That he somehow, you know, identified with her behavior. That is not what happened. How dare she challenge me? How dares she not follow my orders? How dare she not be afraid of me? I'll show her. And he took her life, and broad took a mother away from her children, took a wife away from her wife. Yeah, because his ego had a moment, a moment, and they can't even deal with that. It is terrifying. It is terrifying. These are the people we want to keep weapons away from. Right.
Speaker 2: And the fact that I see recruitment commercials for ice on television, yep, like chills my blood yep.
Speaker 1: I don't how do you watch this? And and and I mean the contortions that it takes to try to dehumanize a victim, and there are women doing it, Christie allegedly, as you know. And the Fox News is to talked about her pronouns being in her bio. That's there's a reason for her to be dead. Is that? Is that where we live? Yeah? The one that where we want to live.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I'm not even gonna fucking say his name, but he was on his show saying the woman who lost her life was a self proclaimed poet from Colorado with pronouns in her bio.
Speaker 1: She was from Colorado? When was she was? She born in Colorado? I mean she lived in Minneapolis. She came to Minneapolis from Kansas City and Missouri. So like, I don't even know what that right. Maybe maybe she was originally I don't know where they're confusing her with anyway, who knows.
Speaker 2: And then publications like The Daily Mail refused to say she had a wife. They referred to she left behind a lesbian partner and a child from a previous marriage.
Speaker 1: She left behind her wife two children, I believe previous.
Speaker 2: They don't even have the facts right.
Speaker 1: She was married to comedian Timmy Ray Maclin, who died in twenty twenty three. She was the mother of three, two teenagers from her first marriage prior to her marriage to Maclin. We need to be talking about a nice agent shooting an American citizen in the face.
Speaker 2: Yeah, execution, that's what it is. He executed her.
Speaker 1: On an American street. We need to talk about that in broad mother about the daylight. Yeah, it could be you, you right wing fascist. It could be you if you don't exactly as you're told.
Speaker 2: Like I've I've already thought about the fact that I am racially ambiguous m hm hm and get called poppy a lot, you know.
Speaker 1: So it's like, I.
Speaker 2: Don't actively get scared, but I do think about it when I go places like when I cross the bridge, you know.
Speaker 1: So do I because that's again, you know, the visual of anything is enough with these people. It's enough to justify anything. Ask the women who have actually been assaulted by other women or the men who come rushing into the women's room, thank you allegedly defending them because some Karen complained mm hmmm, because this woman who didn't look feminine enough for you had to be And yeah, doesn't matter how low abiding you are, or the fact that you were born right here yep, and there's it could be in a moment, what they see and with your attitude, I could be a widow because of what they think they see, right and their fucking storm troopers.
Speaker 2: They'll go into schools, into restaurant kitchens and like steps people from their jobs, from their desks, from business is that they own, outside of courthouses, outside of like stadiums.
Speaker 1: This is not okay, This is not America. This is not what, not what it used to be, not what it can be. This has nothing to do with the promise of America. Nope. This has to do with, you know, a very small segment gaining grounds so that the Republican Party could keep power. They let the fringe of their fringe in to the conversation in the eighties because Saint Reagan recognized it as a necessity before that. This was not their Republican Party. This was not politics, This was not we We actually cared about experts, We cared about the truth, We cared about hypocrisy, at least we pretended to. And I'm not saying it was perfect, but it wasn't. This right, this is the logical conclusion of everything we've been warning y'all about you know, I made a statement recently about just a comment twenty sixteen. You will remember the text I caught from a fellow woman business owner who criticized me and said I was too political and that turns off some of your customers. She met her, actually she met her boyfriend, and I said, it must be nice to not live your politics. It must be nice that your life doesn't change much no matter who gets elected.
Speaker 2: Oh he said that. He said that, either to me or in front of me, that, oh, it doesn't matter who's president, it doesn't really affect me.
Speaker 1: I wanted to smack the shit out of him. They're doing right. But you know, she gave me a lecture about toning it down. And one of her friends, and a person I thought was a friend, told me my rhetoric was a paranoid I think was. You know, but if I was right, he'd have my back. I never heard from him again. Remember him, you remember him. I was a good friend to him. Not only did he not have my back, he never came back into our bar. Nope, because this is the kind of cancer supporting a person like Trump is. He was always a joke to serious people He was always a joke to people who fundamentally care about decency and fairness and anything good in this country. He was always a joke, a literal punchline, a literal punchline. And now we have American citizens, and now it's the white ones being murdered in the street.
Speaker 2: And there's still like people in the comments of these things channing ice ice baby and shit like that. And that's why they had that fucking event, whatever it was, and they had Vanilla Ice performed just so they could perform ice ice baby like that.
Speaker 1: That and of course they did right first job he had in twenty five years. Well that. Yeah, if you aren't disgusted and terrified right now, you shouldn't be listening to enough, right I. The resistance, the response, the folks just gathering together has been enormous and it should continue. The politicians, thank god for Jasmine Crockett and Yasi and others who are not mincing words.
Speaker 2: Nope, oh they are so scared of Jasmine Crockett Good. The only reason I ever would have entertained the thought of wanting to be in Texas was to vote for.
Speaker 1: Her, right right, Yeah, this is uh, It's indefensible it is, it's it's it's pugnant. This goes beyond rhetoric each and every time. I mean, it goes beyond. We weren't doing the podcast when it was George Floyd, when we were living that when we got docsed for standing up, we weren't doing this podcast. But we are now we've been docs since. Yeah, we have. Thanks again, Thanks for the streams though, Yeah. Thanks. I love it when I don't know, we get an uptick because of haters. It's fun. It's like turning their tears into money. It's okay or something. Yeah.
Speaker 2: What's soothing my mind right now is I'm looking at the stage in Cyprus candle right that weight when we were when we record Dear Friend of the Pod. She runs a wonderful business in Philadelphia called Witchy Philly Candle Company, and we've been they have a lot of our money. And I ordered a bunch of new candles, especially the Sage and Cypress, which is the Prosperity and Abundance candle, and we always burn it when we record both our regular episodes and when we do interviews. And I ordered a bunch and she sent them to us, and she created special labels with our podcast logo on them.
Speaker 1: It does instead of saying full circle the podcast, it says, Sage and cypress the candle with picture. These are really fun, really fun. And it was a bright spot for sure when the order arrived.
Speaker 2: Well because I told her the custom order. Yes, well because I told her that, you know, we we burned these candles when we record, so she wanted to like make a point of making it special for us.
Speaker 1: And you know, one of the things that Elizabeth and I say often to the trans folks that we support is, if you're going to fight for your life, make sure you have one mmmm. Make sure that it's worth living. Make sure that the things that you value are a part of your existence. Yes, if you value beauty, if you value peace, if you value music, make sure to include that in your humanity, because otherwise, what are you fighting for? Exactly? And this is a part of that. And so again, when we go through hard things, how we show up and how we show up for others matters, you know, I mean it. I don't know. She's probably really good at printing out labels. That might have taken her two minutes, but it meant the world to us to receive our order customized like what a sweet, lovely gesture. Yeah, it's why I'm redoing the bathroom and trying to make it fabulous because I need to, you know, I need to remind myself what matters and what is important and beauty and is important to me and our surroundings, our spaces, our friends, having a gathering place is important to me, and that we have to find balance. That is self care, That is, you know, making sure that you don't let them win by giving over your sanity because this is also insane and you have to take that breath because this is a marathon, not a sprint, and they count on overwhelming you. They count on you checking out and saying it's not worth voting, It's not worth anything if they lie to you, so that you turn around and say, well, if it's all lies, well it's not all lies. They're the ones lying. Get it, don't twist it, don't you know, feed into the lie that all politicians are the same because more and more good people are entering politics, because it's true, they're disgusted with all of that.
Speaker 2: We're friends with many of them, yes we are.
Speaker 1: And so yeah, that small gesture with those labels certainly made our day. And it was just a lovely thing. So when you can do lovely things, do them. When you can love one another more, do so. When you can treat yourself in some way that affirms your own humanity and dignity and worth, do so.
Speaker 2: For Christmas, you got me a fabulous turntable and stereo. And so I've been listening to records again, and I've been looking at records that are for sale out in the world, and I only consider buying them if I can imagine, like the scene that it would set listening to this, putting this, putting the needle down on this, and what kind of vibe it would set like if it doesn't do something like, if it doesn't spark joy, it's just like, eh, it's not worth it.
Speaker 1: Well, And you know a big part of your inheritance was your father's jazz collection and that's all on vinyl.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'm barely scratching the surface with the going through those.
Speaker 1: And this also records. Yeah, so you can digitize any of it. I love that at it to the digital collection and it digitizes CDs and because that's as well, right, and you know that hey, that's part of your side hustle mm hmm, is you know, putting music together for Philadenko and others, And yeah, it's it's part of the equipment, but it also brings joy and it does lets you enjoy those things I thought it was. That's how it's fabulous. I put effort into that you did, and it makes me very happy.
Speaker 2: And even like with social media, I'm trying really hard to battle my algorithm. Like I've been following a lot of things like movie history and music and dance and art things.
Speaker 1: Like that to like battle the bullshit. Well, you know, and I'm gonna say, like we you spent a little time looking at all the lists we're actually on, which is pretty awesome because we ran pretty fucking high, you know, in a lot of lists and they include arts and culture. And we do that for a couple of reasons, because we're that's a part of our lives and you know, has been, and it's important again to balance out our humanity and to remember that there are others out there working hard to bring us art and supporting it matters, et cetera. So it's it's that means as much to me as as our standing as news commentary. Right, you know, my standing as a trans woman podcast or any of those things, it means as much to see that, you know, our discussions of arts and culture matter out there too.
Speaker 2: We're in the top five for those respective categories.
Speaker 1: But I know I love that because there's a lot of podcasts out there there, really really really is. There's a lot out there, but we are the little podcast that keeps going. Word. On that note, I'm going to close the Cavalcade because enough, let's take our final break and come back and pop the culture. Let's do that. We'll be right back. We are back. We're back, you know. Wow. Speaking of popping the culture, I love a clever T shirt. I love I love a good T shirt. I love a fun T shirt. Speaking of t shirts, we have merchandise, we do. You have worked closely with Funfire dot com. Yeah, and we have merch Yes.
Speaker 2: You may have noticed, or you'll definitely notice when this episode comes out. We our logo has gotten a bit of a blow up. It did.
Speaker 1: God, we look out, we really do. We just took a newer picture. But no, it looks fabulous and the books at Bonfire helped us to glow up our our logo and created some fabulous merchandise which we're selling. Yes, and I love that, And you can put it on stuff, right, you can put it on more than T shirts, but right now it's T shirt.
Speaker 2: Yes, T shirts and hoodies, Mugs, mugs are coming.
Speaker 1: We're doing We're doing.
Speaker 2: That, yeah. Bags, yeah, but hey yeah. So we're definitely going to put the link to our store in the episode notes of this episode and every episode from this point forward, And when I get some time, I'm going to go back and put it in.
Speaker 1: Old ones like it was always there, because one of these days we will do this live. One of these days we will we will do live podcasts and and take them around and we'll have a merchant We'll have a merch table. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yes, And there are already some of our shirts out there in the Why I know.
Speaker 1: I love that. I love that, and I love folks sending us pictures of them wearing their shirts. Yes that, I gotta tell you that like makes me giggle. It's awesome, it's fun. It is fun. I never thought my face would be on a T shirt kind of cool. I mean, not in a good way anyway. Anyway, I've always.
Speaker 2: Been a whore like that. So my face has already been on a T shirt, so I'm just glad to.
Speaker 1: Do it again. Fine, anyway, check out the merch. We appreciate it. It does help support the podcast and it's fun. And the folks at Bonfire did do a beautiful job, so thank you to them for finding us and I'm partnering with us. Indeed, Glad has announced their nominees for the thirty seventh Annual Glad Media Awards. Rivalry is there, which we're going to talk about a little bit. Okay, Stranger Things which I'll never watch, Pluribus, which I keep being told to watch and you keep saying very sure, but I might Abbot Elementary, which I.
Speaker 2: Enjoy, Hacks of course, God, I love Hacks.
Speaker 1: Severance which I've still not seen, a bunch of one, swift Horses, which also had no idea dry.
Speaker 2: Race for obvious reasons, Kiss of the Spider Woman for obvious reasons, Traders for obvious reasons.
Speaker 1: Somehow, Andy Cohen, Yeah, I know, the Kelly Clarkson Show, The View, good hang with Amy Poehler, handsome, I've had it, and more. Okay, all right.
Speaker 2: The Read also is nominated, even though they're not listed here.
Speaker 1: Oh are they good for them?
Speaker 2: Yeah, last Culturistas, even though uh, they're reaping a little bit of kerfuffle because they allegedly joking we're talking about don't donate money to Jasmine Crockett. It's a waste of time and a waste of money. Really, Okay, whatever, right, Like, I love y'all, But no, that ain't that.
Speaker 1: Ain't that? That ain't it? Yeah, it's it's so across like.
Speaker 2: Podcasting and movies and television and music.
Speaker 1: Uh huh. I mean there's other stuff that we'll talk about. But anyway, they were announced.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we'll put the list in the notes of this episode. Yeah, we'll give it a perusal.
Speaker 1: Say what you've seen and decide if you want to see anything else, because there's some stuff here. Joe, Oh god, okay, so that's happening.
Speaker 2: Oh I put this on here a while ago. Four Non blond Els finally coming out with a new album for thirty three years.
Speaker 1: No kidding. Yeah, I was like, let me open this so I can say it's no shit. H I see the picture of them in ninety three. What are they looking now? It doesn't matter. Four No Blonds so, of course famously gave us what's going on?
Speaker 2: And Linda Perry has had a bustling career as a songwriter and producer since she's responsible for bringing Us Pink's current down. Christina Aguilera and Gwen Stefani and Alicia Keys.
Speaker 1: Did I hear Gwen Stefani has turned into him? Yes, that's what I heard.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 2: In fact, I'm sorry I said her name just then, because wasn't she Bathwater?
Speaker 1: Yes? I've loved Gwen Stefani for so long, but now I did too. Yeah, I know it's it's you know what, nobody broke my heart more than Bette Midler, so you know the what can the rest of them do to me? Exactly? I idolized that woman? And yeah, then she just doubled down on her Turphy ship we have seen.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: I can move on, exactly, I can move on. We watched a lot of things together over the holiday season. We did, and you know, I made you watch Come See Me in the Good Light, which which was so good. I know, the Andrea Gibson documentary, wasn't it. Yeah?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean you're the reason why I know who Andrew Gibson was, because we talked about her on this show when she died, and that was my introduction to her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the documentary and God bless Tignatara, who was one of the executive producers, Yeah for bringing this story to us.
Speaker 2: I will say, you know, I am neither one of us is a fan of Tignataro's comedy, just just her comedy, her comedy. But tig Natara was a fucking badass.
Speaker 1: Absolutely as an act to act and a human being for sure. Hell, and you know, I love love love that, you know we have this in the universe, that that you know, because it's oh my god, It's just it's so touching and inspiring and important. And I challenge you not to just cry tears of varying all the tears, yeah, joy and victory and sadness and life, because I was thinking, I'm like, no, I cried for various reasons because that was Andrea Gibson and and uh yeah, it's an important story. I dear God, I love it.
Speaker 2: I need to read more poetry, yes, because I keep coming across these poets who like are amazing humans and just have a way with words. I just I don't read poetry like that for no other reason than I just don't. I go towards like fiction and nonfiction and things like that, but I never read poetry.
Speaker 1: I need to get into that. Yeah, yeah you do. Andrew Gibson amazing poet, amazing spoken words slam poet. Yeah, you know, became a rock star in poetry, which I adore. And come See Me in the Good Light is so worth watching.
Speaker 2: And you'd think someone that like writes poetry and his performed poetry would be more of a reader.
Speaker 1: Of I would think so. But I think I've seen it four times now. It's a great film. Yep, I went on a binge.
Speaker 2: Yes, you were in your cooking movie bag for little while, right, it's been that long since we've recorded.
Speaker 1: I Food. Yes, I don't remember what started at. It doesn't matter, I guess, but.
Speaker 2: I think you were watching known As Again and well that was one of the food movies you dove into. The you might all so like, maybe that led you in a rabbit hole.
Speaker 1: And I rewatched Julie and Julia for the hundredth time, and then you.
Speaker 2: Were like, let's see what else is out there?
Speaker 1: Tortilla Soup, which I.
Speaker 2: Had been meaning to watch for however long, and we finally.
Speaker 1: Watched it fabulous and Chef.
Speaker 2: Also, Chef is a great movie. Also triumph of the Human Spirit.
Speaker 1: Film, that's my genre. That is a Martha movie. Yes, a Triumph of the Human Spirit. It's a Martha movie and they all were. But the head food is kind of the theme. And I think I was cooking while I was watching. Yes, yeah, it goes along with the theme of me watching you know, hoarders and cleaning and then watching Yeah, well Chef.
Speaker 2: I had never heard of it. It's a comedy. It's very funny, and you know, it's got a fabulous.
Speaker 1: Cast, delightful film.
Speaker 2: And I highly recommend it, like it'll make you hungry, Yeah, it just will. Like basically, the premise was like this, like rock Star, Chef got reamed in a.
Speaker 1: Review because he did what the owner wanted.
Speaker 2: Right, because he you know, didn't push himself forward into his own stuff like he should have, and he was doing what the owner wanted and played it safe, and so he was like, well, fuck it, I'm gonna do it my way. And he went around the country with a food truck and had a journey. And it's a film about family, it's a film about bravery, it's a film about you know, doing your own thing. I highly recommend it. I believe that's on what Prime.
Speaker 1: I think it was. Yeah, yeah, but really good movie. Yeah worth seeing. So anyway, food movies, great escape, Yes, because I loved I cook to Yeah, I love to cook, and you're highly suggestible. I am highly suggestible, but I do. But I love cooking. And it's like the holidays. I don't generally cook Hungarian food, but I do cook it around Christmas time because I did it for so many years. For Christmas, if we cook, you know, all the Hungarian food came out and I and I was able to cook. You know, I made stuff, cabbage and checking pupper crush for for our friends over Christmas, and that was so good.
Speaker 2: You know how I know you're you're so easily suggestible. It is physically impossible for us to watch The Godfather hmm without you, without you having to have Italian food. Fair, It's not possible. It's never been the entire time we've been together.
Speaker 1: It has not been every time, every single That is not a complaint, by the way, I'm just saying good Italy Italians taught me how to cook it time.
Speaker 2: No, it's I get to eat your Italian food. So I'm not complaining, just saying it.
Speaker 1: Always happened, totally, totally. I'm like, oh, yeah, somebody was eating a taco the other day. I'm like, I need a talk Yep, it happens often. I love food, so apparently I'm food motivated. Much like our dogs. I go peeps where I'm supposed to go too, as long as there's good food.
Speaker 2: I'm not mad at you about it, and didn't have to kick you out of bed to press the point.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying I don't know what's next. Oh wake up.
Speaker 2: Dead Man is the latest entry in the Knives Out milliere as it were, we watched it.
Speaker 1: It was about the.
Speaker 2: There was a murder of a priest and the priest was like beloved, slash feared, and it became a mystery because it was like who did it? Who didn't do it? Okay, Kerrie Washington was in it.
Speaker 1: Okay, you don't remember this at all?
Speaker 2: Do?
Speaker 1: It was good, but of the Knives Out.
Speaker 2: Films, it was my least favorite. Okay, yeah, it goes the glass Onion Knives out.
Speaker 1: Oh right, Catholics onion Yeah, okay, that's right, I remember that part. Yeah, it's a good film.
Speaker 2: I recommend checking it out, but if you're watching it to be a completionist, it's not.
Speaker 1: It wasn't my favorite of the lot. Okay, we were.
Speaker 2: You were binging several series and each time you had to stop for various reasons.
Speaker 1: I put that in here because I thought it was interesting. Yeah I needed a pause.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you were binge watching The West Wing, which I never really watched like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love the one. It got so depressing. It's sad now because the idea of having all smart people and charge who care about the government, who want to govern, well, yeah.
Speaker 2: The West Wing was supposed to be a fictionalized insider look into what was happening in the White House and people that like, you know, are making our government go and the conversations that take place and the decisions that get made. But it's all under the assignment.
Speaker 1: You watch it right now on Netflix and don't cry.
Speaker 2: You're not exactly like people who like care so much about democracy and right doing a good job and being smart And oh my god, it made me so Sadau'm like, this feels like historical fiction.
Speaker 1: Now I know, and I forget why I had to take a pause, but I think that's a big part of it. It was just it got sad, so fucking sad that right now, none of that matters.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know you were having trouble sleeping.
Speaker 1: Oh that's right. I was. That's right. I was because I was watching that and going I, yeah, I couldn't fall sleep because it just breaks my heart. You know that we have people, unseerious, people in charge of very serious things right now, and they do not have anyone's best interest at heart. They are cynically not human, and it's just it's so sad. The closer I stopped watching because I got to the episode where boat Bridges was playing a trans woman and some of the language out of all the characters you know in Contact the time, and I get it, but I was just like, you need to do that to yourself. Yeah, because I was just enjoying it as like, you know, a distraction, and then it became not distracting and I got annoyed. At the point where I become annoyed, I was like, yeah, this is no longer sousing, And not that he didn't play the character well, but again, of course they found a he to play a trans woman and it was played the joke. The reaction of the regular characters was.
Speaker 2: Not pretty, not played as a joke, but included as a joke.
Speaker 1: Right dismissed funny you know he he he, and I say he because it was both. Bridges came back for a trial of a case that he had been a detective one but now he's a trans woman, and Lieutenant Prevenza gets mad because she won't just dress like a man to test to find the way God in tender because that's how being trans works obviously. Yeah, So anyway, it got and I went, Okay, this is no longer a distraction, so I stopped right and Karas Sedwick said some stuff. Anyway, I stopped that, or at least paused it. We have been watching Mom, I Forget, I love Alison Johnny. It's hysterical. But you were like, okay, enough of.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was this thing, and I'm realizing when we're watching these shows that they weren't meant to be binged. They were meant to be watched one week at a time. Right, When you watch certain shows as a binge, you start to notice the quirks of the characters. It becomes heavy and the same thing with Karas Sedgwick in The Closer was the same thing that was happening with Alison, Janny and Mom. This whole like emotionally stunted.
Speaker 1: Not as much her, but the doorter. I think, well, both of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, emotionally stunted. I'm running for my emotions.
Speaker 1: I can't.
Speaker 2: I can't verbalize what I'm feeling because I'm afraid, and so I'm gonna make stupid decisions because rather than just say what I'm feeling or do what I'm feeling and admit that I feel this way, I'm going to run away and do the opposite. It got on my fucking nerves and I couldn't fucking take it.
Speaker 1: I adore me and Me Kennedy and her character of Margie, and I will say it. It does a lot of it depicts recovery pretty accurate, yes, But I was even yelling at them because you know boundaries like yes, we're supposed to be there for each other and right no, sometimes the answer is I'm not coming right now. You need to sit with your actions while I live my life. And there wasn't enough of that. There were too many times so when it was like, oh, I have to go right, and it's like, yeah, we do that, you know what I mean, like especially in AA, but there wasn't some balance in some of what I need. But anyway, it's it's really well done, and it's really funny. It's a funny show.
Speaker 2: It's something funny.
Speaker 1: Some of it is dead on with addiction. The writing is really good because like it is good.
Speaker 2: It's not a lot of shows where every single episode makes me laugh out loud, and that's one of them.
Speaker 1: It pretty much does. Yeah, but sometimes you're right. It goes to the extreme so often that it's like, oh, come.
Speaker 2: On, right, he said he loves me, So I have to run to the opposite side of the country because.
Speaker 1: I yeah, but then I have to run back because my friend got drunk, right yeah, and I have to leave him in the lurch because yeah, I can't let my friends sit with the consequences of their own action like that. Yeah. So anyway, but oh, I mean, mom, is it is fun. It is a funny It is good fun. But I had to pause that too, You're right, anyway, I had a pause, will go back, but then it took me back to law and order.
Speaker 2: So right, because you the whole time you were watching that. You weren't watching new episodes of your Law and Order, right, so your Laws and Order?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I caught up with yeah, Law and Order and SVU and Organized Crime, which is now a peacock series. Curse now yeah, so yeah, because I'm like, because what the fuck are you talking about? Whoa whoa Wow? I didn't even I didn't notice until you went did she just say fuck?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: And I'm like, yeah, oh oh yeah yeah because it they say it where it fits and where somebody, of course would have said fuck. And it made me realize how many times you know they don't curse when somebody would have yeah, right, they are now a peacock.
Speaker 2: I'm waiting to hear Olivia Benson say fuck, but she might not.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, I don't think so. I don't see that happening. I don't know, we'll say I would love it. I don't know.
Speaker 2: What the fuck is wrong with you?
Speaker 1: Right? He did? He did? Oh?
Speaker 2: We watched Heated Rivalry and I made you watch.
Speaker 1: One because you were like eh, And then I was like the episode that made me cry.
Speaker 2: I'm like, you have to watch this one right, because I was like, okay, it's you have to come back hockey themed gay porn.
Speaker 1: Great, all right, fine, basically I mean, you know, I mean softcre obviously softcore, right, I.
Speaker 2: Mean it was it was hot because HBO, like, okay, but you knows only for HBO.
Speaker 1: It's a little disappointing.
Speaker 2: Actually, there was only so much of it that I cared to watch, right because you know, I know, but it got good, right, it got good?
Speaker 1: No, it really at the end of the season. It got really good once.
Speaker 2: It reached deeper than the superficial.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the last couple episodes, but you need the rest of it to build to that. I think I agree, But I was getting it was getting tedious to me because it was just like a chronology of they get together and then time passes, and then they get together and time passes, and their rivals. But yeah, the last come here, go away, Come here, go away. Right, got got really good.
Speaker 2: That's the ship I hate, and maybe cry it was it and the end is worth it, the journey is worth it.
Speaker 1: It is And then you have a note here, Hudson Williams says, closeted pro athletes have d m him.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah since the show aired. Okay, yeah, and there the same thing it's like we can't come out, but we do appreciate, you know, the realistic portrayal of the show.
Speaker 1: Right right, Okay, okay, because I do. Yeah, And it's not just.
Speaker 2: Hockey but baseball players, football players.
Speaker 1: Right right, because and you do get a taste of that, you get a you know, and a more understanding of that, you know, in masculinity and what we have to say about masculinity. And the last couple episodes made it worth it.
Speaker 2: NHL, the Hockey League is the only men's pro league to never have a current or former player publicly come out as gag.
Speaker 1: That is correct, which but maybe if you watch the last two episodes, you'll feel better, right right? It does good. Of course, if it's queer and it's anywhere available, we're going to watch it because, you know, while we still can right in Merca. But I like where it landed. I can't wait for the next season. I think there's going to be one, right, Really, it's not confirmed. I thought I thought the next season was confirmed. I could be wrong. How would that work?
Speaker 2: Unless they follow I don't think it's so far different?
Speaker 1: People? No, are we stick with Yeah? You could stick with them? I mean I don't know. I'll watch it. I could be wrong anyway, watch it. Yeah, I like where it ended. It made me feel good about life, and you know, we need more of that, not less. On the flip side of that, on the flip side of that, we finally watched the Ditty reckoning. Yeah, the fifty cents Petty, Oh my, Like, what do we even call that? I opening, disturbing, unsettling. Where to leave you?
Speaker 2: I mean, none of what I saw was really surprising. I didn't really learn anything like details, but you know, it's like, for years I've heard about how Diddy is like draconian about his contracts and the way he treats artists and artists not getting paid and artists being intimidated. Now the lengths to which this intimidation went, I okay, I did learn a little bit there, and it's it's a shame because you know, he definitely did work hard to get where he was, but once he got there, it's like he forgot how to be human.
Speaker 1: You know, It's.
Speaker 2: It's a lot's he deserves to be where he's at.
Speaker 1: So I guess if I was going to ask a quote, I'm trying to figure out how to formulate it because one of the things that I think we did discuss a little bit, you know what of the idea we have so few success stories like his, and then there's the urge to not tear them down because of that, because he's an example, a role model. And I mean, to me, I'm just watching another human being be a human being. But there is that notion, you know, like there goes another hero.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know that I would ever have called Didy a hero.
Speaker 1: Though some dude, some would, well, yeah.
Speaker 2: Because there is that whole thing of black exceptionalism and.
Speaker 1: If he can do it, so might I.
Speaker 2: But at the same time, you got to look at black excellence, but also like how did he get there? And one could argue there's never been a billionaire that got there by being completely ethical and reputable the entire time. And I say that knowing that Beyonce.
Speaker 1: Is a billionaire. So is Rihanna. Rihanna's a billionaire. Taylors with she got knocked around by Chris Brown, speaking of what we saw that documentary too, We did, we watched that too. Now that being said, let me backtrack a little bit on what I just said, because.
Speaker 2: Like I'm thinking of Rihanna and Beyonce, it is possible that they could have amassed that amount of money organically because like with Rihanna, you have your music sales, but she also has her her her makeup, her beauty line, her laingerie line. Like, organically it could happen. I guess same with Beyonce. Besides the music, there's the the tours, there's the perfume, there's the hair care, there's the clothing line.
Speaker 1: It's possible. Well, and you've talked about, you know, one of the most ethical people in music in terms of sampling. Oh, you're getting folks paid well, just like T. S.
Speaker 2: Madison just posted because her voice was used on cos one of the tracks on the Renaissance album really and so because of that, TS Madison is listed as.
Speaker 1: A songwriter, which is what Beyonce does for everyone, right, I love that.
Speaker 2: And that particular track has just reached one million units. So now TS Madison is a songwriter of a song that has reached one million units sold, So she gets a plaque, she gets you know what I'm saying, Like they.
Speaker 1: All love that part of that. I love that, you know, Like, but that's what I'm saying right. That's someone who goes out of her way right to make that happen, right, so you know, to kind of and you know, make up for all the time that people did all the work and you know the record company made the money, right, Yeah, I do. I do appreciate that. Like I said, I used to be. So she's making other people wealthy while she.
Speaker 2: Gets right, which is why I'm more inclined to believe that, you know, she might have achieved her billionaire status organically, if that's possible.
Speaker 1: Perhaps we could talk about men who are billionaires versus women.
Speaker 2: Yea, her husband for instance, we all know he started with drug money.
Speaker 1: Sure so, but that's yeah, But I mean I'm not talking about that about what you what. I'm talking about Diddy, who was kind of a shit human.
Speaker 2: Being, right, Oh yeah? Did he got to billionaire status because he never gave any of the money to his own That's different. He kept it all. If you're only paying one person and that person is yeah, you can be a millionaire.
Speaker 1: I'm talking about that, Okay. The hesitancy. You know, sometimes we have right to tell the truth about a human right, because they're both dynamic and terrible. Yeah, two things can be true at the same time they can we know several right show, Yeah, but we've participated in that, like well, you know, if they're vict don't want to speak out, who are we to, you know, because they also do great things for the community. It happens, whatever the community, it happens, you know.
Speaker 2: And how many checks did Bill Cosby write to support educational institutions so did.
Speaker 1: The Yeah, perhaps I'm getting too philosophical, and it means we need to.
Speaker 2: So the last thing on our list we watched last night, One Battle after Another, which I have been trying to get you to watch forever.
Speaker 1: It was very good.
Speaker 2: I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm still not sure how we have all this Oscar buzz over Leonardo DiCaprio over Michael B. Jordan, who played not one, not two, but three parts true, but you know, but Leonardo DiCaprio played like a version.
Speaker 1: Of the do So therefore it was good. It was very good. It was good. It was an interesting twist and layers, and I'm not sorry I watched it.
Speaker 2: No, and the movie is damn near three hours long. It is two hours and forty something minutes. I'm aware it doesn't feel like it though, like the pacing of the story, it did not feel like also well, it didn't drag, but he had to keep pausing and doing things right.
Speaker 1: But I was aware that it was three hours. I was aware that it was over two hours. It did. I'm not saying it drug, No, I'm just saying I was aware of the length.
Speaker 2: But it didn't feel as long as I don't.
Speaker 1: Feel like I've wasted my time.
Speaker 2: Right, What was the John we watched last year also with Leonardocaprio about the murders and the Native American reservation, The Killers of the Flower Moon.
Speaker 1: That movie was four hours long.
Speaker 2: Again, very good. Don't regret watching it. It was fabulous. I felt that time. Not saying it drug, I'm just saying it was long. This the pacing was a little faster.
Speaker 1: A little bit.
Speaker 2: It was still long, but still I highly recommend it. At the end of it, I went, Okay, Tiana Taylor like she put in work.
Speaker 1: I mean again, we could argue best film. Mmm, but good. It was good. Yeah, I liked it. I thought it was. Yes. Michael Patrot Michael B. Jordan played three characters. He needs to win all the awards, one would think, but who knows because I forgot.
Speaker 2: But yeah, because everyone always says he's playing two roles because he's playing twins, we forget. He also played one of the twins as a vampire.
Speaker 1: Which is a different character. That's right. Also true, three characters, also true. Child.
Speaker 2: Anyway, this has been a jam packed.
Speaker 1: We've been all over the place. Don't record for a month exactly. We really are going to try to get the back to this being more regular. Uh, you know, we'll add fiber and I don't know water. Let's see what happens. But in the meantime, we're also doing self care. Yes, we also paused to enjoy the holidays and friends and loved ones. Yeah, and launch a merchandise line. Yes, it's time for podcast business. Yes, we will do that. Let's do that.
Speaker 2: If you haven't already, why don't you swing on by Apple Podcasts, good pods, YouTube, or wherever you enjoy our show and leave us a review or a rating or hit that subscribe button five stars and more. Please follow us on social at Full Circle the Pod on Instagram, threads and Blue Sky, and Full Circle the Podcast on TikTok. You can follow Martha at I Martha Madrigal everyone. Her writing can be found at I Ammarthamadrigal dot WordPress dot com. I am at never Scurred Everywhere. If you have a story, idea, or some gossip, or just want to say hi and tell us we're doing a great job, drop us a line at ask Fullcirclepod at gmail dot com. We'd love to hear from you. Explore our new web store and get your own piece of Full Circle the Podcast merchandise. Just go to our website, Full Circlethepod dot com and click shop our merch There's bound to be something to suit your style. Join our Patreon Patreon dot com slash Full Circle Thepod starting at just a three dollars a month tire. You get access to all of our episodes add free and before everyone else, and it only gets better from there.
Speaker 1: It's fun.
Speaker 2: Over at the Patreon, you can also check out our Discord channel Full Circle the Podcast.
Speaker 1: Podcast business over. I want to thank you for joining up. Yes, we love you, and we've been all over the place today. We missed you and we hope you missed us. We do love you, and yeah, I can't promise it's going to get any more entertaining, because shit keeps happening Yeah, but we're going to keep being here for it and try to bring you some humanity along with the complete lack of it. Yeah, how about that that works? Queerly yours, until next time, I'm your host Martha Madrigal, and I'm your host Charles Tyson Jr. And you've been listening to Full Circle the podcast. We'll see you next time. Bye everyone.
Speaker 2: Full Circle is a Never Scurred Productions podcast hosted by Charles Tyson Junior and Martha Madrigal, Produced and edited by Never Scurred Executive Produced by Charles Tyson Junior and Martha Madrigal. Our theme in music is by the Jingle Aries. All names, pictures, music, audio, and video clips are registered trademarks and or copyrights of their respective copyright holders.