Speaker 1: Thank you very much, John Shannon.
Speaker 2: It is Kentucky and his Morning News with Coffee and Company here on News Radio eight forty whas Nick Coffee. That's me Scott Fitzhered alongside today and we've been busy this morning.
Speaker 1: If you are just now joining us, thank you. If you've been with us, appreciate you. Today will be a.
Speaker 2: Big day here locally as we'll find out what sentence Brent Brett Hankerson is going to get. Obviously, last week it was big news that the DOJ only recommended a one day sentence for the former LMPD officer. And obviously the final decision lies with the federal judge, who can either follow the DOJ's recommendation, reduce or increase the sentence within the federal sentencing guidelines based off the charges, or disregard the recommendation entirely. And it really just comes down to what this judge wants to do. And when it comes to the attorney Brian Butler here, former federal prosecutor, quote, this is the first time an officer has been charged under these circumstances. The DOJ's recommendation is based on president and unique factors. This is certainly a unique situation and we'll find out later today. I believe one thirty is when that is set to get started. So we'll keep you updated as best we can here at news Radio eight forty whas. Also, we have now hit the six month mark for President Trump and his second stint as the president of the United States, and I feel like right now when it comes to and it'd be hard to do this, but if you were to try to check the pulse, check the temperature, if you will, of America and sort of what they're talking about when it comes to Trump now. And I don't mean the approval of Trump or whatnot. Certainly that's a different conversation, but there's a lot. I mean, you've got the Epstein situation and that that's not going anywhere now. I also don't get any indication that what people are wanting, and I guess also expecting, And what I mean by expecting is I think there are people in their mind that have it that people have in their mind made up what is being held back, right like involvement from key figures, probably from both political sides, you know, just to cover up for people that have so much power. So again I don't know if if we're ever going to get anything that gives you that satisfaction, meaning where they hand something over and all that's included. And I also think that every step of the way, even before we found out that the DJ just decided, yeah, nothing to see here, there's no files, it's all nothing.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Just now we've got Trump saying that it's conspiracy and it was created by.
Speaker 1: Biden and Obama.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's that's that's so every step along the way, those that do have some real issues believing what they're telling us as far as what happened, and they want transparency. I think you've been given a lot of fuel to continue said conspiracy just by something not adding up here. So that's continue to be a big talking point. But there are some other things going on that maybe maybe there's some intent here from Trump as far as just giving you a distraction. So there's not as many people talking about the Epstein files. I mean, he did say last week anybody anybody who's a Republican that is still talking about it, and once more, I mean didn't say they're stupid or something along the lines. I mean kind of sounds fake, right, No, wait, he'd say that, but the guy does kind of you know, he's just very different than others that have been in office, and that really doesn't have anything to do with anything to do with these job performance.
Speaker 1: It's just it's a different approach. He's a different kind of guy.
Speaker 3: So it's always funny when politicians try to do this and you try to change the narrative and you try to control it. But you know, the American public isn't stupid. I mean, They're going to come back to what matters the most. And it's almost like if that's their intention, if that's what they're doing, is trying to get you to look over here at the shiny object, the American.
Speaker 1: Public is still going to come back to this, yep.
Speaker 2: And the Coca Cola thing as far as potentially changing how they make the product, I mean that, and the Coca Cola responding, Yeah, we don't have any plans to do that. We don't really, you know, they essentially said we were a little know what hell he's talking about. So maybe maybe now his attempt to distract anybody from the Epstein situation is to to tell that the Washington commanders they got to go back to being the Redskins and the Cleveland Indians need to go back to the Indians and not be the Guardians, because that that's that's that's real news. That's that's absolutely what's going on. So he says he may block Washington's new NFL stadium deal if the team doesn't return to its old name, the Redskins, And he did say he wants Cleveland to switch back to the Indians, claiming there's a strong public demand for that. Both teams say they have no intention of reverting to their former names. And uh, I mean when I hear that he could block the stadium deal, I mean that's something you don't take lightly.
Speaker 1: And let's be honest, he would do it.
Speaker 3: He would, He absolutely would do or at least try. And I and I think too, there's a combination of things. It's it's also it's what you're talking about that is distracting and showing folks to the shiny object over here. And I'm sure there's there's a certain set of his base too that is saying maybe some are high priced donors that are saying, hey, we need to get this done. You need to help us out with this, and let's make this happen. So it's hard to say. Sometimes you know, they did a lady who lived in the higher er or she worked in the higher echelons of the Department of Defense when I lived in Virginia. And there is a lot of political wrangling that goes on, a lot of handshaking, as it does anywhere, and there's a lot of favors that people have to do for other people. You help me, I'll help you, YadA YadA yah. Maybe there's a degree of some of that going on. But to your point, I don't think the Guardians and Commanders are going to go back to their original name.
Speaker 2: Well, it would just be so hard to because that was a big task. As far as just rebranding professional sports teams that have been around a long time, Both of those franchises are historically known, meaning they just they have a lot of history. Obviously, you know, they've not always been great. So when I say history, I don't mean they just went all the time, But I mean those are two big brands within the MLB and the NFL, and reverting back would you be a lot of work. And it just it to me, And again that's that's what neither team was asking President Trump to do. This they're they're content, and they're now bothered by this because they don't want to have to go through it again. And you know, just like what's the timing here, Like why bring this up now? And again, I don't, you know, there's no way to know this for certain. And I'm not I'm not even saying that I believe it, but I can see why some would say, well, hey, maybe this is just to try to distract us from the Epstein situation, because neither franchise wanted this right now, and they're probably thinking, oh, he's given us a headache here that we don't want.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, And and people are always going to go back to the Epstein thing, and oh yes. As we mentioned in this program before, the cover up is sometimes worse than the crime. Not so much in this case, because the Epstein case was just a heinous crime beyond all relief. But anytime you try to cover this up, it's just better to confront it all, deal with it, pil the band aid back, and let's go with it. Instead, it sounds like we're trying, to your point, to distract everybody from what's going on over here.
Speaker 2: Lastly, I do think that there are people that are going to keep this as a topic, and they're you know, there are people that won't leave this alone regardless of what plays out. But I think those that are kind of not really that invested in it, but have now become interested because it just seems as if there's clearly something being left out that that's where you run an issue here, right, Like I think the best case, I mean, the more they the more they do try to counter, the more it seems like, Okay, they're clearly leaving something out here.
Speaker 1: And I have no clue what it is.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't even be I wouldn't care enough to even speculate, but just something. Something's not adding up, that's for sure. All Right, let's get to a quick check of traffic with Bobby Ellis. We'll get the latest forecast from Susanne Horrigan and uh we'll tell you about a recent study slash survey that have a hard time believing. But maybe I'm maybe I'm in the dark here, And that's that's Americans using time that your employer.
Speaker 1: Gives you to take off.
Speaker 2: We'll talk about that and more right here on News Radio Way forty WHS. It is Kentucky Ana's Morning News with Coffee and Company. You're a news radioaight, forty whas and it coffee.
Speaker 1: That's me. Scott fitzgered alongside.
Speaker 2: Well. Have another update on sports with Scott coming up at seven twenty five, and then John Shannon with another news update at seven point thirty. John Alden, he's a part of the team too, but he is enjoying some some vacation time, a little staycation for John and his lovely family. And apparently he is doing something that some Americans don't do, which is using their PTO. I mean, who wouldn't use their PTO? Yeah, I mean I can't.
Speaker 1: Imagine I'll use it. Give it to me, I'll use it.
Speaker 2: So there's a new survey from Live Career that says only forty eight percent of US workers use all their paid time off and thirty three percent feel pressure from their employer not to use all their PTO, and nine percent say their employer actively discourages it, which I mean they can discourage it all they want. You have, I mean, if you have the time, now, I can understand a situation to where like you've got a boss that's maybe trying to like guilt you into not going in using the fact, like, let's be real, in America, I don't know where if it's like this in other country. I've worked in a variety of different industries. Nothing that I would say. I had a long career and prior to this, prior to being able to make radio my full time career and whatnot, It's been about ten years or so since I've been in that spot, and I worked in the software industry prior to that. But I feel like every industry I've been in, I've seen at least a little evidence that some that do in fact work hard and are really good and reliable employees, they get taken advantage of, and you go, you've beend over backwards. You do a little more than maybe you're supposed to. I do think it is most of the time appreciated, but it then becomes the expectation and you're held to a different standard to where if you're discouraging somebody from so again, I guess the ultimate takeaway here is that thirty three say that they feel pressure from their employer not to use it, as if you'll be letting the team down if you take time off, and then others just say their employer I guess is actively discouraging it. But either way, I mean, take your time off, absolutely, dude. There's nothing more important than that. And that's where I'll say I will give the benefit.
Speaker 3: Of the out here. They are very big on Even the boss says hey, look, I got to take this time.
Speaker 1: He says, go just do it.
Speaker 3: And even my other gig I work at, they're very accommodating when it says, hey, listen, you got to take care of stuff. You know, we're all I mean, for lack of better words, we're all replaceable. Yes, you know, so you've got to put your boundaries up and take care of yourself.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'll tell you what. When it comes to just keeping like, I think there's a lot of things that employers could maybe do better at when it comes to just being better employers. However, as you mentioned, I think we all know that we're all replaceable to an extent. But if you I mean, I think the bare minimum as far as keeping your culture in a good spot to where people aren't going to look to leave is to let them use the time off that they were told they.
Speaker 1: Would get what you hired them.
Speaker 3: Yep, yep, I've worked, I've worked in jobs there's no worse feeling when you have a set time when you're supposed to leave, and many times the employer.
Speaker 1: Would say, no, I need to stay and do this, I need just stay in. Sorry, can't do it. Yeah, it's a morale killer. R no doubt.
Speaker 2: And look, fifty nine percent of employees experience anxiety overtaking PTO, which is a wild thing to think about because quite literally PTO is to get away from the anxiety and take a break and mentally recharge. And just the thought of doing something that you need to do, that you're entitled to do, that's adding stress and anxiety. I mean, I'd say that's a red flag about.
Speaker 1: Where you work. Absolutely, But obviously in.
Speaker 2: This economy, who wants to just go start over and get a new job. So that's where we are. All right, let's get to another our data of Travagan weather right here on news radio eight forty WHS.
Speaker 1: Thank you very much, John Shannon.
Speaker 2: That is Consecutive's morning news Coffee and company here on news radio eight forty WHAS. So I was not able to make it to last night's TVT event and it was one of those moments where really had to consider what made the most sense to do as far as being responsible and knowing that I need to really maintain good balance here with my schedule. So that was the first opportunity where I could have gone to a game that I really wanted to go to, but knowing that I have a three am alarm clock now kept me from attending. I mean it's not the only factor, but I'm kind of glad. I also wasn't there because they It was not a great night for the Villa as their their TBT experience comes to an end this year, third year they've been in the event, and I really can't tell you how much I think Louisville, along with Lexington and maybe even Bloomington, we're the perfect cities for this kind of event because we will appreciate watching former players, probably more than anybody, just because we all know what these programs are around here. I mean, they are our pro teams, right. I mean, this rivalry is intense, especially in louisvill There's so many on both sides. But for the Louisville side of it, I mean to see Freedom Hall with thousands of people there. I'm not sure what the announced attendance was, but I was there Saturday when it was the good experience because they were able to get a big win and you had a bunch of former Cardinals having a factor in said win. And it gives you scenarios that you simply could have never igined possible, because what scenario, what would have led you to be in a position for these kind of things to play out? And it's this kind of an event you've got Coach Louke Cancock. I mean, that's one component. That's just what well, Coach Luke Cancock was leading this team the vill and while we're sitting there and there's a big lead in the second half and it looks as if it's going to be a blowout. Peyton Siva, who chose to play in the event but really told them, hey, I'll go if you guys need me, but you don't have to play me. Well he didn't get I don't think he played a second in the entire two games. But the fans are giving coach Louke Cancock a hard time because he won't put Peyton Seeva in a game. All while Russ Smith's hitting threes, Montrez Harrel's duncan on people. And then you go to the bench you've got Earl Clark and Quince Sleaznski, two people, what a random duo, right, guys who played here and had much different experiences, played in different eras. But they're having a chat on the bench. And then you can't see this as much on television, but if you're there the behind the goal that is closest to the Louisville bench, they've got I guess like the hospital the hospitality area uh VIP, I.
Speaker 1: Guess you could call it.
Speaker 2: That has a bunch of former players, Darryl Griffith sitting courtside.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's just like it's like a reunion.
Speaker 2: It's like a get together for Louisville basketball players of all eras. And again we would appreciate that and and probably consume it more than anybody. And I think you'll see that. I don't know what the numbers are gonna end up being as far as attendants, and obviously Louisville they're out now, so the attendance moving forward as far as a Freedom Hall, I mean, I mean, by the way, actually I'm not even sure if does it work out that way? So now with Louisville out, doesn't that mean that that Lexington would then be the host.
Speaker 3: I was going to ask that question. Yeah, I wasn't sure, and I was trying to do some investigating in that. Let me ask you this along those lines what you're saying, Nick, and that is, let's let's say down the road, this thing's still rolling on Chuckie Hepburn comes back.
Speaker 1: Does he have the same appeal that sort of this group, does he?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, I think because well, Chucky was special.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's why I asked.
Speaker 2: I think that's a great question because of this Chucky was so special in a one year scenario that yes, but there's other guys who also I think we would say, yeah, they were great. Glad we had him on the team, but they were only here a year. Chucky was just so good in such an important year. And I think this is what I hope and I'm glad you brought this up, Scott, because things are just gonna be different when it comes to just the continuity of your basketball roster. Moving forward to where these guys we watched play at Freedom Hall that were part of some great teams. Some won a national championship, others made deep runs to the tournament of the Final four. The likelihood of that playing out the way it did as far as maintaining your roster, it's just impossible to think that would have happened if you were in that situation now, just because of the portal and and il and all that. So I'm hopeful that moving forward, everybody's remembered the way they should be. But it's just gonna be different. You're not gonna have guys that play four years. It's gonna be a rare thing to see guys play for four years. So I think this group this is just wishful thinking on my end because a lot of these guys that were only here one year in Pat Kelsey's first year, it was such a memorable year as far as the program coming back to life that even though they were only here a year, they're gonna be more memorable, maybe than some other guys that just played played for a year, but not because of just performance, but because of like that was gonna That's gonna be a very memorable season for Lowell fans because we were dead for few for a few years and then sure enough Pat Kelsey brought them back to life and it was a very successful season all things considered.
Speaker 1: So we'll see.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I mean just and by the way, also lucky that that you got guys like Javon Hadley and Case and prior who'd been able to take advantage of of of a of a stipulation with the n C douablea to where they could get an extraye of eligibility.
Speaker 1: So you know.
Speaker 2: But but Chucky Terrence Edwards, Rain Smith, those are guys that were only here for a year. But uh, I mean, I maybe I'm wrong here, but I think they'll be remembered for a lot of things, including the fact that they were the first guys to kind of set the tone and help get this thing out of the out of the out of.
Speaker 1: The grave eventually.
Speaker 2: So La at Knight and Sideline Cancer they now play at nine o'clock at Freedom Hall, which, man, there will not be many fans there at nine o'clock at Freedom All on Wednesday, and then of course from there it'll be it'll be the winner of lat Familia in Eveland Drive.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get an updated look at the weather with Susan Oregon. Also we'll take a look at how the roadways are with Bobby Ellis right here on Radway.
Speaker 1: Forty seamstros there's not mention.
Speaker 2: ICE director Todd Lyons spoke on Face the Nation yesterday and made it quite clear that there's still a big emphasis and getting illegal immigrants out of the country, regardless of their of their situation, no no exceptions. Essentially, they're going to rest anybody that they find be here illegally, and sweeps have been expanded across multiple states now. And one thing that that I think is just another one of the many indicators that they are this is a real, real emphasis from from President Trump is they're now going to try to hold employers accountable, So employers who are hiring undocumented immigrants are now a target as well. He went on to say that they could have steep fines and possible jail times if they are hiring undocumented immigrants. And here's here's a little clip of that from Face the Nation on Sunday.
Speaker 4: In regards to the work site, like you mentioned, one thing that I really like to highlight, especially what kicked off June sixth in LA, is the fact that when you see ICE doing these work rates like the marijuana grow farm, we are going there where criminal search wants are criminal orgress wants. Not only are we focused on those individuals that are, you know, working here illegally, We're focused on these American companies that are actually exploiting these labors, these people that came here for a bare life, you know, either you know, forced labor, child trafficking, you know a lot of these work site cases just isn't a victim's crime of somebody here working legally. And that's why we're going there with these criminal warrants to focus on these American businesses that are trying to make an extra dollar on the backs of these people.
Speaker 1: I can here for a better life.
Speaker 2: So I'm going to when I try to do the unthinkable, which is get a real feel for just how the majority feels. I think that there's a few different ways to look at it. One, I think those who are acknowledging that, yes, there are a lot of people being deported from America right now, but but don't you remember what Obama did. Don't you remember that three point two million people were deported when he was in office from twenty nine to twenty sixteen. Like, they're not wrong, They're not wrong at all. So this has been an emphasis with different presidents that we've had and the actual number. I mean, look, Obama deported more people overall, especially in his first term, and what's different now is just Trump shifted the tone. And it's a reminder that sort of how you go about it and I guess you handle it. I mean again, at the end of the day, people are being deported, but I think the noise surrounding the process is clearly a little different.
Speaker 1: The tone.
Speaker 2: Again, it's different from Trump compared to others, and that's just you can say that about maybe every single thing he does, but it's true, I mean the amount of right like right now. I mean, if you look at the public perception and the media narratives, they've played a role here. I mean Obama was seen as more compassionate despite record deportations, while Trump has faced a lot of backlash. And again, I think there's some people that are okay with getting people out of here illegally, but they're not necessarily okay with sort of how Trump has gone about it. And then again that gets into where okay, tough to know, like really what to believe? Like are these people truly productive citizens who should be here legally?
Speaker 1: I mean, it's it's impossible to know.
Speaker 2: But when I hear people claim, well, you know, there was a previous president that didn't really get any heat for doing this, and he did it at a higher level, You're right. As far as the numbers, I just think that one people, no matter what Trump's does, they're going to just they're going to criticize it and say it's the worst thing ever and people are going to die. The world's coming to an end, and that's just where we are. But I do think there's others that are okay with getting people out of here that are here illegally. It's just do you want them in the you know, alligator Alcatraz situated. You know, that's clearly something that people aren't cool with.
Speaker 1: But for those who wonder is that true? Is that real? Yes, it is.
Speaker 2: As far as the numbers overall, I mean it was a big emphasis for President Obama too, But I'm sure there's many that don't necessarily know that.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get to a quick
Speaker 2: Update of traffic and whether we'll get the latest from from Bobby Ellis as far as how the roadways are looking on a Monday, So stick with us right here, It's Kentucky and his morning News Coffee and Company on News Ready to eight forty whas