Speaker 1: Welcome to the deep dive. We're your shortcut to getting informed, mixing facts with just enough fun to keep things interesting. Today we're jumping into reinforcement learning RL, and it's well supercharged version Deep reinforcement Learning or DRL. Our main guide for this is the book Deep Reinforcement Learning with Python's second edition. It's by Sudharsan Ravichandaran and Villari Babushkin. And our mission really is to unpack how AI agents learn through interacting and getting rewards. Will explore some applications you might not expect, and figure out what makes these learning methods just so powerful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the really key thing about RL, I think, is that the agents learn by actually doing stuff. It's not like other machine learning where you just feed it a load of data someone already collected. Here, the agent is sort of dropped into its world. It has to try things out, make choices, and learn directly from the consequences from the feedback it gets. It's intelligence that really grows through experience.
Speaker 1: Right, learning by doing that trial and error aspect absolutely fundamental. So basically, we've got an agent that's the learner in an environment, it's world, and in that world there are different situations or states. The agent takes actions and then gets rewards or I guess sometimes kundlies right. That's the feedback exactly.
Speaker 2: The classic analogy, and it really works is teaching a dog to catch a ball. You don't sit it down with physics diagrams.
Speaker 1: Do you, ah? No, definitely not.
Speaker 2: You just throw the ball. If it catches it, great, here's a cookie, positive reward. If it misses, well, no cookie, maybe just a neutral outcome. And over lots and lots of crows, the dog starts figuring out, Okay, these actions in this kind of situation they lead to cookies. It's building a strategy really to maximize those treats. That continuous loop action, feedback reward in this dynamic world, that's the absolute heart of rol.
Speaker 1: That cookie example makes the feedback loop really clear. But how is this learn by doing thing really different from other kinds of machine learning people might know, like say supervised learning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a really important difference. So with supervised learning, you're essentially showing the model examples that are already labeled. Think of teaching it to spotcats by showing it thousands of pictures, and each one clearly says cat or not cat got it labeled data right and unsupervised learning that's about finding hidden patterns and data that isn't labeled, like grouping similar photos together automatically. But RL the agent is kind of on its own. It learns by directly messing with the environment, changing its behavior based on the feedback it gets in real time. There's no pre cooked data set of right answers. It has to discover what works through this constant back and forth with its world.
Speaker 1: So it's much more dynamic this interaction. Okay, And to handle that interaction you need some structure. Right environments need to be framed somehow for decision making. What's the usual way to do that?
Speaker 2: The standard way, the framework most people use is called a Markov decision process or MDP. Basically, it's a mathematical way to model these sequential decision problem. It formally defines all those bits we mentioned, the states, the possible actions, crucially, the probabilities of moving between states when you take an action, and the rewards you get for those transitions. The beauty of an MDP is it lets us map out almost any kind of decision making sequence mathematically, which is how machines can start planning strategically.
Speaker 1: Okay, that makes sense. It provides the rules of the game, so to.
Speaker 2: Speak, exactly, and a key part of it is the Markov property, which sounds complicated, but it just means the agent's decision only depends on its current state. It doesn't need to remember the entire history of how it got there. Just where am I now?
Speaker 1: Right? The present is all that matters for the next decision. Okay. So we have the environment structured, but the agent needs its own plan, its strategy. How does it figure out what to actually do in each state?
Speaker 2: That's its policy. You can think of the policy as the agent's rule book or its behavior. It tells the agent which action to take when it finds itself in a particular state. Policies can be determined meaning in this state, always do this specific action, simple okay, Or they can be stochastic. This means a state maps to a probability distribution over action, so maybe it's seventy percent likely to go left thirty percent likely to go right. This allows for a bit more randomness, which can be good for exploring. Ultimately, the agent is trying to learn the best possible policy, the one that gets at the most cumulative reward over many runs or episodes. An episode is just one full sequence of interaction from start to finish.
Speaker 1: And how does it know if a policy is actually good? How does it judge its own strategy?
Speaker 2: Ah? Well, that's where value functions and Q functions come in. There are ways to evaluate policies. A value function basically asks, starting from this state, how much total reward can I expect to get if I follow my current policy? Is about the long term value of being in a state?
Speaker 1: Okay, the value of a situation.
Speaker 2: Precisely, and a Q function goes one step deeper. It asks how good is it to take this specific action when I'm in this specific state and then follow my policy afterwards? Okay? The agent uses these calculations to figure out which actions in which states are likely to lead to the best outcomes down the line.
Speaker 1: Okay, this all sounds really solid, But like you said, these agents can be in massive environments thinking about video games or robotics. The number of possible states and actions must be huge, right, trying to calculate a Q value for every single possibility? Yeah, that sounds computationally well impossible. How did RL get past that?
Speaker 2: That is exactly the challenge that led to deep reinforcement learning or DRL. You're spot on. In complex worlds, you just can't compute and store all those Q values there are too many. So DRL brings in deep neural networks. Instead of calculating exact values, these networks learn to approximate the Q function, or sometimes even the policy itself. This is the breakthrough that lets RL handle really high dimensional inputs like raw pixels from a game screen, which was unthinkable before.
Speaker 1: Okay, so neural networks approximate the answers instead of calculating everything perfectly. How do these networks learn? What's the mechanism there?
Speaker 2: Well, at a high level, think of a basic artificial neural network ANN. You've got layers of interconnected nodes and input layer, one or more hidden layers, and an output layer. Data flows through gets transformed at each layer, often using something called an activation function like RAILU. That's one that just outputs zero if the input is negative, and the input itself if it's positive. It adds nonlinearity, which is crucial now. Learning happens by adjusting the connections, the weights and biases within the network. The network makes a prediction, say a Q value, we compare that prediction to a target value what.
Speaker 1: It should have been.
Speaker 2: The difference is the loss. Then, using calculus tricks like gradient descent and backpropagation, the network figures out how to tweak its weights and biases to reduce that loss to make better predictions next time. It's iterative refinement.
Speaker 1: Got it. So the network learns by correcting its own mistakes over and over, and this ability to approximate with networks led to some big moments, right, I remember hearing a lot about deep Q network.
Speaker 2: Oh. Absolutely. DQN, developed by Google's Deep Mind, was a landmark. It was famously used to play a whole suite of Atari games, often reaching human level skill just from looking at the screen pixels That really grab people's attention.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was huge. What made it work so well.
Speaker 2: It had a couple of really clever innovations to deal with the instability you get when you combine deep learning with RL's constantly changing data. First was experience replay. Instead of learning only from the very last thing that happened, the agent stores lots of past experiences state, action, reward, next state in a memory buffer diary exactly, and then for training it samples random batches from this memory. This breaks up the correlations and sequential data. You know, one step often looks a lot like the next, which makes the learning much more stable and efficient. It stops the network for getting old, useful stuff. The second big idea was the target network. They used a separate, slightly older copy of the main network just to calculate the target Q values. This target net work is held fixed for a while, then updated.
Speaker 1: Ah, so the target isn't constantly shifting while the main network is trying to.
Speaker 2: Learn precisely, it provides a stable goalpost, preventing the learning process from chasing its own tail and diverging. Those two tricks, experience replay and target networks were key to dqn's success.
Speaker 1: Okay, so DQN is about learning the values of actions. It's value based. Are there other ways to go about it? Maybe more direct ways?
Speaker 2: Yes? There are. Another major family of methods are policy gradient methods. Instead of figuring out Q values first and then working out the policy from those, these methods try to learn the optimal policy directly. They adjust the policy parameters to favor actions that lead to higher rewards. This is often really useful in environments where the actions are continuous, continuous like controlling the throttle or steering angle of a car. It's not just left, right, up, down, It's a whole range of values. Policy gradient methods handle that naturally, often using those stochastic policies we mentioned earlier to explore.
Speaker 1: Okay, p learning makes sense for certain problems. Is there a way to get the best of both world combine value learning and policy learning?
Speaker 2: There is, and that brings us to actor critic methods. These are really popular now and form the basis for many state of the art algorithms. They essentially have two components working together. You have the actor, which is a policy network it decides which action to take, and you have the critic, which is a value network. It evaluates the action taken by the actor, saying hey, that was a good move or hmm, maybe not so great. The critics feedback then helps the actor update its policy more effectively. It's a nice synergy. The actor acts, the critic critiques and they both improve together. Algorithms like DDPG TD three SAC they're all built on this actor critic.
Speaker 1: Idea actor and critic working together. I like that. Okay, before we look ahead, let's maybe touch on a classic problem that really highlights a core RL challenge, the multi arm bandit.
Speaker 2: AH. Yes, the multi arm bandit or m AB. It's simpler than full RL but captures a fun mental trade off. Imagine you're in front of several slot machines or bandits, each with a lever an arm. You pull an arm, you get a payout a reward the catches. Each machine cayes out differently with probabilities you don't know beforehand. So the big question is do you stick with the machine that seems best so far that's exploitation, or do you try out other machines hoping to find an even better one that's exploration?
Speaker 1: Right, the explorer versus exploit dilemma? How do you balance that?
Speaker 2: There are various strategies, but a common simple one is called epsilon. Greedy most of the time, say ninety percent, that's one minus epsilon. You exploit by pulling the arm of the machine that has given the best average reward so far, but with a small probability exelon maybe ten percent. You explore by picking an arm completely at random, just to see what happens. It's a basic way to ensure you don't get stuck on a suboptimal choice forever.
Speaker 1: That's a neat simple way to think about it. Does this miib idea show up in the real world outside of casinos? Oh?
Speaker 2: Absolutely. It's used all over the place, especially online. Think about websites running AB tests for things like which advertisement banner gets more clicks. Instead of a fixed AB test, a multi armed bandit approach can start showing the better performing ad more often even while the test is still running, maximizing clicks faster. It also extends to what are called contextual bandits. This is where the best arm depends on the context like the user. Netflix famously uses this for personalizing the thumbnail images for shows and movies based on your viewing history. The reward is you clicking play. It's also great for cold start problems and recommendations, quickly learning what a new user might like.
Speaker 1: Wow. Okay, so that simple banded idea is behind a lot of the personalization we see online. That's quite surprising. Now let's broaden out again. We've talked games recommendations, But where else is RL making a real impact? You mentioned the source book covers quite a few areas.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the range is pretty impressive. Now, For instance, dynamic pricing businesses use URL agents to adjust prices on the fly based on real time supply and demand, trying to maximize revenue.
Speaker 1: Like airline tickets are ride sharing apps.
Speaker 2: Exactly like that. Then there's manufacturing training intelligent robots using URL to perform tasks like picking and placing objects with high precision. This can reduce costs and improve efficiency on assembly lines. Finance is another big one. RL is used for things like optimizing investment portfolios or developing algorithmic trading strategies. JP Morgan, for example, used it to improve how they execute large traits for clients, making them more efficient.
Speaker 1: Interesting, so finance, manufacturing, what else?
Speaker 2: Well, there's neural architecture search or NAS that's basically using RL to automatically design the structure of other neural networks to get the best performance on a task, automating AI design with AI, and even in natural language processing NLP, people are using RL for tasks like improving abstractive text summarization, getting AI to write concise summaries, or making chatbots more engaging and goal oriented.
Speaker 1: It really is branching out everywhere. The field. Sound like it's moving incredibly fast. Yeah, what's kind of on the hahriz. What are the really cutting edge areas right now?
Speaker 2: It is moving fast. Some really exciting frontiers include things like meta reinforcement learning. This is about developing agents that can learn how to learn, so they get better at picking up new tasks quickly because they've learned general learning strategy, learning to learn.
Speaker 1: Okay, that sounds powerful. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Then there's hierarchical reinforcement learning or HRL. The idea here is to break down really big complex tasks into smaller, more manageable sub goals or subtasks. Think about a robot needing to make coffee. HRL might break that down into go to coverard, get mug, go to machine, press button. It makes tackling long horizon problems much more feasible. Like the taxi example in the outline, decomposed driving into get passenger and drop off passenger makes sense.
Speaker 1: Break it down. Yeah, and you mentioned something earlier that sounded almost like AI imagination ah.
Speaker 2: Right, imagination augmented agents or itwo A. This is a fascinating direction. These agents try to internally simulate or imagine the likely consequences of their actions before actually taking them in the real world. It's a bit like how a chess player thinks ahead, if I move here, what might happen next. They combine learning from actual experience model free with learning an internal model of the world to plan model based. This allows for more sophisticated planning, especially environments where mistakes are costly, like certain puzzle games such as Soacobond, which was mentioned in the source.
Speaker 1: Wow. From a dog learning to get a ball with cookies all the way to AI agents that can sort of imagine the future. That's quite a journey we've covered. We've really seen how this core idea of learning through trial and error, through rewards and interactions scales up massively with deep learning. It lets AI tackle these incredibly complex problems in finance, robotics, online systems, you name it. It really emphasizes how URL lets agents learn directly adapt on the fly. We're probably just scratching the surface of what's.
Speaker 2: Possible absolutely, and maybe a final thought for you to consider is just that how that simple principle of learning from feedback, which seems intuitive with the dog analogy, scales up. It scales to let machines master complex games, manage huge financial portfolios, personalize your online world, and even start to build internal models to imagine outcomes. Where else could this fundamental principle of adaptive reward driven learning take us next? What new kinds of dynamic intelligence might emerge,