Speaker 1: It's your cat's favorite time of years. Make your season more sir with the latest used traffic and weather. Fifty five KRZ Day Talk Station.
Speaker 2: Eight O four fifty five kr CD Talk Station, A Happy Friday Eve to you a reminder tomorrow's the Christmas Special with Rob Ryder in studio with his guitar and fun and games as we end the year. For me at least, I'll be often until the after the first of the year and looking forward to celebrating Christmas and sleeping in my favorite thing to do when I'm on vacation. Another one of my favorite things to do is talk with book authors. And what an amazing book This one is Your Roots Cast a Shadow one Family Search Across History four belonging my guest Carolyn Toverman, who has this amazing background. Born in Swing, raised in Canada, returned to her ancestral roots in Poland back in twenty thirteen to just explore love of traveling, experience different cultures and what culture and different things she experienced. Also writes about her family. For example, her her paternal grandmother was the first woman who's allowed buy groceries at a local Afghan market. Welcome to the program, Carolyn Toverman. It is a pleasure to have you on today.
Speaker 3: Thank you for having me. It's nice to meet you.
Speaker 2: Well, let me first stay. They just point out I am not a world of traveler by any stretch of the imagination. The countries I visited included a business trip to London, a trip to Ireland, and I've been to Canada. There you go. Not exactly an adventurous person, am I? But you know, I've always found, you know, the United States to be a fascinating place. And there's so many places I've been to the United States, and every time I go someplace I've never been here, Like, for example, I went to Yellowstone for the first time in my life just this past June. I was my mind was blown that we have such beauty here in the in the United States, But you don't experience these radical cultural distinct differences that you experience and write about in this book. Did you always have this adventurous spirit in you? Did you always want to travel?
Speaker 4: Well? I like to say that I traveled before I was even born. So my parents when they left Poland in nineteen sixty eight, when they had to leave, they couldn't come back.
Speaker 3: They lived in Baghdad.
Speaker 4: They lived in Paris, then they lived in Sweden, where I was born. And because most of my family was in Europe, every other summer we would go visit them and we would get in the car and we would take a road trip somewhere. And so, yes, I think that it was just there wasn't.
Speaker 2: A choice fair enough. Now you have to do what your parents do. It's like military families. You might end up being a military brad traveling from base to base your entire life. It does happen, so you had the benefit of that. I think my parents more like me in terms of less adventuresome. But I guess what is the motivation behind your writing about all of the amazing things that you find in your roots cast a shadow.
Speaker 4: So because of travel, because of world wars and time and politics, a lot of my family was fragmented, and I didn't know a lot of this information. The group of us that lived in Canada was my mother, my father, my sister, me and then just immediate cousins, and everyone else.
Speaker 3: Was in Europe, so I didn't know them.
Speaker 4: And when I moved and when I first started traveling, and I first started talking to my parents and asking questions. I just realized that there was such an incredible family history that was that would have been lost if I hadn't started to write about it.
Speaker 2: Okay, driven by your interest in your own family history, which is so amazingly diverse, you obviously have a story to tell you, but such I mean unbelievably different cultures just within your family, you know, when you look at the various areas, Like for example, when I introduced you, I mentioned your paternal grandmother, the first one who's labed to buy groceries in a local Afghan market. So that culture radically different than Canada or the United States or even Poland.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 4: And they found themselves there almost by accident, because my grandfather was an engineer. He was a road builder, and he was one of the Polish engineers that helped build the road from Kabul to Jalalabad in the nineteen forties. But they found themselves in Afghanistan just before the war. My father was already alive at the time, and so they had no choice but to stay. They could not go back to Europe. And my dad and my uncle both grew up speaking Persian, so they had this ex language and they just had this amazing experience living there for the first seven or so years of their lives.
Speaker 2: How about that?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 2: And I also note, and again from the notes, your Jewish grandfather a rising star in the Communist Party. Now, is that one of the reasons he had to flee Poland at the beginning of World War two because he was a Communist?
Speaker 3: No, because because he was a Jew the Jewish part. Yes, there's that, Yeah.
Speaker 4: So he they were they I think it's what helped him survive the war, was that he was a Communist because he had people that he could reach. But my grandparents actually fled to Uzbekistan. So they survived the war in Tashkent, Uzbekistan, and then came back, but by way of Moscow because that's where my grandfather had contacts.
Speaker 2: Wow, so they were there to see all of the you know post y'allta division of the various countries between the West and the East. Did you know them, I mean, were they are alive in your life? You had conversations with them?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 4: Absolutely, so my maternal grandparents I knew them. My grandmother died about ten years ago, so I knew both of them very well.
Speaker 3: But they refused to talk about it. That was what they did.
Speaker 4: My grandfather wrote a book called It's a Chronicle of Events. It's not officially published anywhere. It was friends and family. He was an engineer, so it was mostly names, very difficult to read. It's written in Polish, but he did a chronicle of how they fled and what happened, and so a lot of this book.
Speaker 3: I relied on that information for a lot of this book.
Speaker 2: How about that? Well, I also understand you are multi lingual from someone I struggled in taking German. I had to take German as a prerequisite to get a college degree, you know, and so five hour German. After I had a couple of years in high school, I remember like three words, you know. I never could get the gender, the dardi das you know, male female, neuter thing and anyway, my brain, I guess, just isn't cut out for it. But you how many language can you speak?
Speaker 3: So I speak three? My mother I spoke about seven or eight or eight.
Speaker 2: That's mind blowing to me.
Speaker 3: But I've always spoken them.
Speaker 4: I grew up I spoke Polish before I learned English, and then I went to a French school. So they were they have always been a part of my life.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's wild now, Okay, In terms of who you wrote the book for, I understand the motivation behind it. Clearly, your background has this wonderful opportunity to learn so much about your family while you know I obviously providing these wonderful stories. Are are you writing it for people to suggest that they too should look into their background for their families, or it was just a personal exercise you wanted it turned into a published work, or are you trying to tell people to maybe get out of their own backyard and get out into the world.
Speaker 4: So originally, actually part of my pitch was that this was for the armchair traveler, the person who knew that there was more to their story, but they needed to find it and they didn't know how. So this was a little bit of a push for that. And ultimately I think it's about starting conversations with people and realizing that even though you know we may come from two very different worlds, or even for people who haven't traveled a lot, you know when you say you've always wanted to or you started to learn German, I've always wanted to learn German, and my grandparents actually lived in Germany. And I have family in Germany, and so that's a connection, that's something we can talk about. And it was really to start these conversations between people just to show us that we have a lot more in common sometimes than we think we do.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, we live in a very divided world. And since my radio program is mostly dedicated speaking and talking about matters political, I often recommend and I was a litigation attorney for sixteen years for I've been on radio, but to start your conversations always try to spring from a point of mutual interest. If you can find a point of agreement, you at least start off on a pleasant foot, even though that conversation may take a turn someplace, try to find something a mutual agreement. So this is a wonderful opportunity to do that. And I'm sure you get this question all the time. But considering the global travel and all of the places that you were and have been in writing this book, what is the most interesting thing or weirdest thing or funnest fact that you found out about your family or family history during your discovery.
Speaker 3: So a lot of.
Speaker 4: It was what you mentioned that my grandmother was the first woman allowed to trade with the men in the square in Afghanistan. I think that was mind blowing. I had no idea about that, and actually also just finding out about my maternal grandparents and the journey that they took partially on foot, by water, by train to flee. But I think the thing that really sticks out to me the most is they all chose to come back, and they all returned to Poland in nineteen forty four. And when I say that, people think, well, isn't that too early, And I have to explain, well, no, the front had already moved at that point, so they weren't in danger. But it was that decision to return when so many people just they had been done with it and didn't want to return.
Speaker 2: And I can certainly understand that. But you know, there is some weird connection that we as human beings had with our home land. Come what may, politics otherwise you still won't always go home. So I understand that, but real quick before we part company again. The name of the book, Your Roots Cast a Shadow, One family search across history for belonging Carolyn Topperman, the author. You can get a copy of the book at my blog page fifty five cars dot com. On the Afghan market thing. Did she get special treatment because her husband was building a road or is this just a period of time where there was a sociological advancement where women were accepted and allowed to participate. What's what's the backstory on them?
Speaker 3: And if I can ask, Yeah, absolutely so. No.
Speaker 4: She actually the first time she went, she had rotten fruit and stones thrown at her. They didn't want her there, and she was just extremely determined to do that that she would be able to handle the groceries for her family. And the other thing that's not in this part of the book is that she actually convinced the local governor to let girls wear jim shorts to class to the gym class because she taught at a local school. So it was just it was her. It was entirely her attitude and her perseverance and who this woman was.
Speaker 2: She's like the rows of parks of Afghanistan a little bit. That's awesome, Well, Carolyn Topperman, and has been a real pleasure talking with you about this wonderful book. I'll encourage my listeners get a copy of it. Heck, you know it's a holiday season, gift giving time, why not get a book and maybe encourage people to explore their own family's history or perhaps even travel abroad. Carolyn, thanks again. I hope you have a wonderful holiday season. I wish you the best on book sales. And it's been a pleasure actually seeing you and talking with you during this video conference.
Speaker 3: Thank you for having me. This has been really fun.
Speaker 2: My pleasure. It's a sixteen at fifty five KRC the talk station USA Insallation Premium FOE. I was just talking to George Brenman earlier in the program.
Speaker 3: He's like, I gotta get that.
Speaker 2: I gotta call those guys up because you have no idea how poorly insulated my home is. I'm thinking to myself, well, yeah, make the call man. It's a free quote free installation. I mean, the free installation is not free, but it does pay for itself. So ultimately the savings on your energy, we'll make it well paid for by itself. Plus you enjoy the immediate comfort. And clearly he is dealing with the comfort issue. So with his home being an older one, George, you're definitely going to want to call USA, especially right now since it's only ninety nine dollars a month interest free, and you may save more than that on your energy bill. So you got a drafty, leaky home, and or otherwise you got one of those rooms. It's ice cold during the winter time and maybe you know, really hot in the summer. That's uneven distribution of your HVAC system. You're fighting it uphill battle both ways. Stop it. Call USA, get a quote, get the insallation installed in the xterior walls of your home. You're doing the right thing. Highest OAR value foam on the market. It goes with under insulated homes, or it fills the empty space where there should have been insulation in the first place. So get ninety nine bucks a month interest free, and on top of that a twelve hundred dollars energy tax credit. Yeah, the federal government wants you to do this. Five one three three eight one three six two six three eight one phone you can learn more, learn all about it and see how it actually works and how it installed. Just go to USA Installation dot
Speaker 1: Net fifty five k r C the talk station for more information about con