Speaker 1: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: And this is KFI Handle here Morning Crew Taco Tuesday, August thirteenth. Quick word about the podcast, Bill Handleshow podcast. I started a couple of three weeks ago, and it drops on Tuesdays and Thursdays at nine am, just as I finished the show, which means today a new episode comes on the scene. And today it's all about Project twenty twenty five.
Speaker 3: How scary it is.
Speaker 2: I break down Project twenty twenty five, and we'll tell you what's real, what isn't real, and should you be scared? You should be scared if it is implemented the way.
Speaker 3: It is written.
Speaker 2: That's today. So that drops today at nine o'clock. It's the Bill Handle Show Podcast. You can look it up on Spotify. It's on Apple, iHeartRadio, Apple all over the place. The Bill Handle Show Podcast. Okay, Now, oh, what a ridiculous story we have that I've never done before. Homelessness, because that's not a huge issue here, well across the country, but particularly here in California, particularly here in southern California, particularly here in La County.
Speaker 3: Well, ever since the Supreme Court ruled.
Speaker 2: In Grant's pass versus Johnson that homeless encampments can be cleared out even if there are no beds available for the homeless. There is a question that the homeless are asking, and it is a legitimate question, and that is.
Speaker 3: Where do we go? Where do you put us? Where do we camp?
Speaker 2: I mean we can't afford housing. I mean all we can afford our tents. And if you clear us out of that, then we go there, and you clear us out of there, then we go over there.
Speaker 3: And then what happens when you clear us out of over there?
Speaker 2: And so you would think one of the champions of the homeless those encampments would be a Gavin Newsom because he is a liberal.
Speaker 3: He's come down hard against the homeless.
Speaker 2: I mean he has taken state agencies, Caltran's Department of Wildlife and said anything on state land, you're gone.
Speaker 3: We're clearing you out. And he said it used to be.
Speaker 2: The cities would say, but the courts won't let us because there are no shelter beds available, and we're trying as hard as we can to build shelter beds.
Speaker 3: He says, that's done. No more excuses.
Speaker 2: You start cleaning out those encampments or now here's the ore. What kind of power does Gaven Newsom have over La County. Well, not really, except he says, if you don't do that, if you don't clean out the encampments, you're not gonna get state money. I'm not going to give you the money that I'm giving you now to help you with a homeless There's a billion dollars just in this year's budget in California that goes to the cities and counties to deal with homeless and he made it very specific. If you don't do what I want you to do, if I don't see real action, if I don't see real determination to clear up this problem, you ain't getting any money.
Speaker 3: No money for you and figure it out on your own. What do you do?
Speaker 2: And I've said this homeless issue as long as people can't afford to live in southern California, and it ain't getting any easier. It's basically southern California in the Bay Area, that's what we're talking about, which it's much stronger here in southern California.
Speaker 3: The problem and you see mayors.
Speaker 2: I understand Stockton, I understand fres Tho, super conservative cities that they've come down really hard.
Speaker 3: But how about San Francisco that has come down hard.
Speaker 2: Now La County, you've got the mayor of La City said we're not going to enforce.
Speaker 3: La County. We're never going to enforce, which is.
Speaker 2: Maybe one of the reasons La County is sixty thousand homeless. I mean that is beyond that's just beyond comprehension.
Speaker 3: There's so many homeless.
Speaker 2: So now even in those places La County, the city, the homeless, advocates, the workers are saying those encampments are being cleared out pretty quickly. The police are much more aggressive, and they don't have to worry about shelter beds being available because grants Pass versus Johnson US Supreme Court said that's off the table.
Speaker 3: Just clean them out.
Speaker 2: By the way, the question is, and those that are on the street in the encampments, where do they go? I've told you on the way home coming from the station, I got off on a freeway off ramp and then made a left underneath the over where the freeway went, and under that overpass was from one end to the other was this homeless encampment.
Speaker 3: Tense. Just every inch of the covered overpass gone.
Speaker 2: One day I come back, I come home and nothing is there, just a bunch of trash, mounts of trash.
Speaker 3: And the next day the trash is gone. So it took them two days, one.
Speaker 2: Get rid of the temps the people, and the other one the trash goes out. There must have been eighty one hundred people living there. Where did they go? Now, I'm hoping they went to your neighborhood, because that works for me. Does it work for you? And what is the answer? And I've said this many many times, and I think is absolutely true. Next year it'll be a little better. The year after that, it'll be a little better. The year after that, it'll be a little better. In the analogy, assuming that the homeless population doesn't keep on rising, which it has been.
Speaker 3: And the analogy I make.
Speaker 2: Remember, I used to be in the construction business, working my way through law school.
Speaker 3: I had a construction.
Speaker 2: Business, which I failed miserably at is when they passed the law regarding wooden shakes, the wooden roofs, and the law was passed saying no more wooden shakes. They have to be asphalt, they have to be concrete, they have to be tile. You cannot use wood anymore to make roofs. You know, the woodshakes, And I said, oh, so what everybody has a wood shake took thirty years, because that's the life span of a roof. They don't make that. You won't see one in the city of la anymore. The roofs are all gone. Anytime they had to be replaced, they replaced it with a fireproof roof and it's completely changed.
Speaker 3: Took a generation.
Speaker 2: And I think the same thing is going to happen here dealing with the homeless. We're going to add a shelter bed a couple hundred next year, and maybe four hundred a year after that, and before you know it, you turn around and fifty years later you have enough shelter beds, assuming that the homeless.
Speaker 3: Population doesn't increase like crazy.
Speaker 2: And as of right now, the homeless population has outpaced the money and the beds that are being put up. I've said this many times. I think it's absolutely true. America is truly the great Land of opportunity. It is an amazing country. It's just a rough place to be poor in. This is not a good place to be poor in America, particularly here in southern California. A story about electricity and electrical rates, and this is not a story about solar, although by these days, I don't know who is not.
Speaker 3: Putting solar in because it's crazy.
Speaker 2: You know, I moved to the most expensive utility in the United States.
Speaker 3: Yeah, can't wait. Well, I'm gonna throw a couple figures out at you that you're going to to go. Come on, really, all right?
Speaker 2: We go up near the salt and Sea. There are plans to build a data center to support AI. It's going to cover fifteen football fields and it's going to require power that would support four hundred and twenty five thousand homes. Santa Clara, right in the heart of Silicon Valley. Electric rates are rising like crazy. Why because the utility is spending on transmission lines infrastructure to accommodate the demand, the power demand from fifty data centers, which now consume sixty percent of the city's electricity. The entire city of Santa Clara, sixty percent of the electricity is used by the data centers, not the people, not the industry, none of it, all right, So why is that? Well, because the power needed toize the internet those servers, and they keep on adding because the Internet is getting bigger and bigger by the second, so need more data centers by the second. Well, they consume unbelievable amounts of electricity PG and E told its investors that we're gonna have we're gonna need two dozen more data centers, which is going to require three point five gigawatts.
Speaker 3: What does that mean? How about this one?
Speaker 2: The output of three new nuclear reactors and nuke's power hundreds of thousands.
Speaker 3: Of homes and this is going to be the equivalent.
Speaker 2: Of three of them that have to be built. That is scary stuff. And I'll tell you something else. Okay, this one is as I looked at this figure, I went really just to give you an idea of what's going on with the power that's necessary and how that's going to change everything is as follows.
Speaker 3: You've got chat GPT powered search.
Speaker 2: Now, when you do a normal AI or when you do a not AI. When you do in normal search, for example on Google without AI, you use a ton of a ton of power. I mean, there's no question that search causes the data center to create and use.
Speaker 3: Power to give you the information.
Speaker 2: An AI search, for example, a chat GPT powered search that uses ten times more power.
Speaker 3: Because it sweeps the Internet.
Speaker 2: And it comes up with the algorithm that produces the answer and figures out. As you know, we've talked about AI, but it's there's a lot of complicated technology and it sucks up power.
Speaker 3: Are one of the experts.
Speaker 2: There's an associate professor of Let's Computing Engineering at U SEE Riverside, Shalai Wren. He calculated the global use of AI is going to require as much fresh water because that cools reactors and that cools electrical systems. In twenty twenty seven, now used by four to six countries the size of Denmark. I mean we are talking a scale that is astronomical. Silicon Valley is the world's epicenter of AI.
Speaker 3: Some of the biggest developers are headquartered.
Speaker 2: They are Alphabet, Apple, Meta, open Ai, the people created chat GPTs in San Francisco, Navidia, the maker of the chips needed for AI that operates from Santa Clara, and the big tech companies and they of course are throwing money into AI.
Speaker 3: All the talk.
Speaker 2: About micros, Amazon, I mean all of them are spending billions to build new data centers around the world, and it sucks up energy to the point where Diabolo Canyon, the nuclear the last nuclear plant in California, they had to extend its life more so than it was originally called for. The fossil fuel plants that are supposed to be replaced, No, they're not going to be replaced anytime soon, because they need them. We desperately need them. And so one of the real costs well, is just using the Internet. And we have to look at not just the security issues of the Internet and cybercrime, but simply the amount of energy it's going to cost us. Goldman Sachs, one of the big financial institutions, has analysts up the Yinnan.
Speaker 3: They estimate that by twenty thirty six years from now.
Speaker 2: The demand for AI and the Internet and the data centers could be as much as eleven percent of the entire US power demand, just the data centers. It's now three percent, by the way, it's still huge. So the biggest concentration basically in the world of these data centers happens to be in Santa Clara.
Speaker 3: Why well, let's start with.
Speaker 2: Electric rates or forty percent lower than those charged by PGE. And let me tell you what these This is where money really counts when you can go into utility with your lobbyists and truly promote your position. The more electricity we use as consumers, the more it costs, because we have that tear systm them and first chier. You have a certain amount of money you pay, you go into second tier, it gets more expensive, the third tier.
Speaker 3: It gets really expensive.
Speaker 2: And that's one of the reasons why people buy solar all the time. And we used to be told to use your all your appliances at night. Now is to the day because we're using all the soul, we're getting all the solar energy. Okay, So the premise is the more electricity we use as consumers, the more it costs. With these data centers, electricity that they use is based on volume. That's what they pay volume of electricity use. The more they use, the cheaper it is. So they have all the incentive in the world to build and build and build, because what is one of the most expensive, if not the most expensive part of running those data centers electricity, what it costs to actually run those centers. I mean, once you've invested, that's a capital investment. Okay, you're sort of done. You put the building up you've built the computer systems. I mean they have to be replaced every few years. But the electric bill comes due every month, so let's use a ton of it. So just keep on using AI, which we're all going to do, and be prepared to pay for it with your electric bills, because who ends up paying for it?
Speaker 3: We do, of course, we do, consumers.
Speaker 2: Okay, enough of that, now, let's move over to the decline of America's public schools.
Speaker 3: You remember as a kid you maybe still do your children. No, they don't go to public pools. I got one word for it.
Speaker 2: And this is based out of a study that was just done, an analysis of public pools all over the.
Speaker 3: Country, and it is entitled cooties. That's it.
Speaker 2: Cooties Why because they're public pools, that's why. And frankly, we're not into sharing our pools.
Speaker 3: We used to didn't care. Now it's a different story.
Speaker 2: Now people are actually upset that people pee in public schools pools.
Speaker 3: By the way, how could you.
Speaker 2: Go swimming in a public pool and not pee. I've never understood that. I mean, that's what they're for, isn't it. And I used to go like crazy my kids, Uh uh, no way and why are there fewer public pools out there. Well, one of them is exactly that the other one is well because also we are just not as close. We don't Americans are not really good about living, you know, bumper to bumper.
Speaker 3: We just don't like it. No, we like our.
Speaker 2: Buildings right, like our houses apart. We just we have personal space. That's very different. I mean, the Japanese are on top of each other and that's their culture. Americans are not far less than anyone else.
Speaker 3: And the problem is.
Speaker 2: Temperatures are soaring like crazy, and public schools. Not only are public pools are not only not being built, they're not being maintained. Because this is let's kick the can down the road. When someone is elected to office, they rarely run on. We have to maintain our infrastructure, and that sort of doesn't do it. So maintenance is simply not done, which is why our roads are falling apart. Which is why our water systems LA for example, it was built over one hundred years ago. The lifespan of that water system is one hundred years or past the lifespan, which is why we get these cracks and we have these water leaks and water spouts and geysers of water all the time, and the public pools are the same thing.
Speaker 3: Now, is there a future for public pools. Probably, And here's why.
Speaker 2: Because politicians are city councils, particularly because public school pools are part of the city or a part of the city infrastructure, they are now being looked at not as recreational, which of course they are, but as part of dealing with climate change and are necessary for people. It's almost like cooling centers where they become necessary because temperatures have gone up and up, and people, particularly in the inner city, don't have any place to go, and so public schools or public pools simply seems to be the answer. But here we go back to racism because when the public pools really became public, and we're talking in the twenties and thirties, as part of the depression, and FDR established established the program during the depression of building the public Works Administration, etc.
Speaker 3: Public pools, city pools were built. That was part of it. And then you had the de segregation cases. And by the way, it was all racism in those days cities.
Speaker 2: You know, black people didn't mix with white people, or more the other way, white people.
Speaker 3: Didn't mix with black people. So what ended up happening.
Speaker 2: By the time the fifties and sixties came around, private swim clubs came around.
Speaker 3: They weren't building public pools anymore.
Speaker 2: Private swim clubs went from well, nineteen fifty two there were twelve hundred of them around the country. Twelve years later there were twenty three thousand of them. Racism seems to rear its ugly head, and did so particularly in public pools.
Speaker 3: And I remember as a kid and I sweat.
Speaker 2: Burbank had a great I don't know if it's still there, the Burbank pool, the public pool, it was phenomenal. I used to go there all the time, drive there from North Hollywood.
Speaker 3: It was just a great pool.
Speaker 2: If I remember the there weren't too many African Americans, but the valley didn't have too many African Americans at that time, and I was fine swim around. Got all those diseases, the kooties, you could see the amiba's floating floating on the water, just all kinds of disgusting diseases, open sorees. People had shankers, superating puss filled shankers that you would swim in.
Speaker 1: I'm pretty sure, you brought some of your own.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, you know what built when I was growing.
Speaker 1: Up because we were broke, We didn't have any money, and my mom didn't put in a dough boy pool until I was, you know, ared eighteen or whatever. Probably we went to the local high schools. The high schools would open during the summer and that was the public pool. We didn't have a designated public pool. It was the high schools that would open up to the public. And I don't know if you had to pay or whatever, but you could.
Speaker 3: Come in and use those.
Speaker 1: And those have to be maintained because they use them for water polo.
Speaker 3: Yeah, of course, you know.
Speaker 2: And can you find out if the public school in Burbank is a public pool.
Speaker 3: I keep on saying public school.
Speaker 2: The public pool in Burbank is still there, because I remember it was one of the best pools out there. I also used to go to Norwalk because they had a public pool that was phenomenal with the diving platform because I used to jump into the water and I would always try a cannonball in the water and I was a pretty heavy set kid, and that was another one you know that I enjoyed doing. All right, now, how often? And I'm told about that, and I asked this question. I'm asked this question all the time I handle on the law bill. My information has been hacked? What can I do about it? All right? And then we have news about what AT and T comes out with thirty million people have been hacked. And then you have other organizations who else other companies have been hacked?
Speaker 3: If I can.
Speaker 2: Remember Sony was hacked. I mean major corporations have been hacked. And if you're a customer, okay, then maybe you sweat.
Speaker 3: Maybe not.
Speaker 2: Well, let me tell you a hack which occurred about four months ago. And all they did was get two point nine billion records, which is every one of us. There is not a person on well, certainly in America, if you use the internet. If you live under a rock and you don't have access to computer and you're not using the internet.
Speaker 3: That's fine. By the way, you can't cell phone either.
Speaker 2: The way you make phone calls is with two cans and a string between them, and you can make phone calls and not get hacked or not have the NSA listen in to every cell conversation that you have. I just got what a scam. I got yesterday a text what are you wearing sailor? I go, okay, and I immediately jumped into that one. Let me tell you what I was offered. I go, how did you get my number? Well, we got your number.
Speaker 3: And so two point nine billion people have man hacked. This is the group us DoD.
Speaker 2: And this is a little tough because National Public Data an organization which offers personal information to employers and private investigators and staffing agencies and people doing background checks, everybody.
Speaker 3: The group USDOD.
Speaker 2: Offered in a forum, in a forum open forum to hackers to sell this data includes records from the US, Canada, Britain and you know what, they sold it for three point five million dollars.
Speaker 3: The information on.
Speaker 2: Two point nine billion people. And what information did they get? Your full name, your address, your date of birth, you're social Security number, your phone number, alternative names, and birth dates, basically everything to know everything about you. You do a search on my name, you are going to get my full name, Bill Handle or William wolf Handle aka Bill Handle, not only my address where I don't live, because that I'm pretty good at covering it up because my home is in a trust which is owned by a trust which is owned by a company in the Cayman Islands, and so that one I'm pretty good on. But you'll know the addresses where I used to live, You'll know where I used to work, You'll know my social Does that mean that you can apply for credit? Here's one of the ways, sob it I freeze my credit. Whenever I applied for credit, I have to call the credit agencies and unfrees the credit and then it goes right back on. That's one way to help. The other way is two party authentication. That is every time you do business. I do that with my banking. My bank every time I do anything, sends me a text saying here is your code number, and I have to put that in. That helps. So there are a.
Speaker 3: Few ways of doing this. But if someone really wants to get at you, they get at you. They get at you. So the good news, well there is no good news.
Speaker 2: Just want to make your life a little bit better, okay, Neil amy Cono. And your life is open to everybody on this planet. And it's pretty scary stuff.
Speaker 3: By the way, if you do get.
Speaker 2: My home address perchance, and you show up up, my dogs are going to eat you. And you're gonna have a tough time getting through the electrified fence that's gonna zap you and cook you as you come in. And let's not forget the spring loaded shotguns on my front door.
Speaker 3: I'm pretty careful, Okay, Are we done?
Speaker 2: Uh? Yeah, I think so. All right, good news for all. Yep kf I am.
Speaker 3: Six forty live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show.
Speaker 2: Catch my Show Monday through Friday six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.