Speaker 1: Hey folks, welcome back to another episode of JavaScript Jabber.
Speaker 2: This week on our panel, we have a j O'Neil.
Speaker 3: Yo yo yo coming at you live from a broken Stater No, sorry, not stater solenoid.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 2: We also have Steve Edwards.
Speaker 5: Yo coming at you. Just one yo for me from Claudy and Cool Portland.
Speaker 1: I'm Charles Maxwood from Top End Devs. And this week we have a special guest that is Stephen Haberman.
Speaker 2: Steven, do you want to introduce yourself? I don't think we've had you on before.
Speaker 6: Yeah, sure, I will do a singular yo as well, coming from Omaha, Nebraska and yeah, yeah, really appreciate you having me on. In terms of intros right now, I'm a back end you know, team lead type in engineer at home Bound. You mentioned construction, so we're talking about Joyce, our joystore m home Bounds, a residential construction startup. So we besides just building SaaS software, well that's kind of the record. We don't build sas software. We're built software for the back end up. The main thing our company is built Home is build construction resident shams. And yeah that's me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So you talked about the Joyce or m Yeah, I think you emailed me about it, and that's how how I found it. Anyway, I'm just wondering as we get into this, first of all, what problem does it solve?
Speaker 2: Then maybe that's tied up in why you built it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, sure, no, that's a great question. And so where where choice came from was a few years ago. We were setting up to build our back end stack. You know, we're a typescript shop. We do a lot of touch script on the front end, react very standards sort of stuff, and wanted to do various standard stuff on the back end as well, and we picked graph QL as are you know, layer in between at the time, which bastually still enjoy I know, you know that can be some that can be a tangent for later. But so we started off writing our graph QL back end in type script and you know, went to go pick an orm because that's kind of what you do when you do these things. This is probably twenty nineteen or so. And one of the things that we ran into just right away was just pervasive M plus ones and a graph QL and back end. So you know, graph CUOL is not like your typical endpoints right where in the typical web endpoint, you know, slash authors or whatever, you know exactly what your endpoint is going to do, so you can do one big query kind of upfront to you know, preload your data as much as you can and then let your logic run, you know, afterwards. But graph ql has such a dynamic you know, there is no single endpoint. Every quarter is so dynamic that you know, the engineer can't just upfront write the exact you know, preload or query or whatnot that it's going to magically load the data in a perform a way. So we've been using another ORM or two at the time, but we're just really struggling with M plus ones and so that was really joyce first claim to fame is that we had started out doing some co generation from the schema and that sort of thing, which is very standard now in a lot of ORMs. But yeah, we're just wanted to fundamentally solve M plus ones and so we started out putting Joyce on top of the Facebook data loader project, which uses this little you know, that event loop tic trick if you guys are familiar with that, to you know, if you know the N plus one problem, right, if I've got an author and I'm gonna read some books, and then the books I'm gonna read the book reviews, it's really easy for as you go down your object graph to like make a query for every single books, reviews, over and over and over and over over right and plus one, I guess. You know, let me know. If you want me to go slower through the N plus one problem.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, I'm gonna say, I'll give it a real quick definition. I wanted to get into that quick before we love too far. So basically, if you have, you know, your books and author problems, the N plus one problem is.
Speaker 4: Where you do it.
Speaker 5: You know, a query for how would you put it?
Speaker 2: An author?
Speaker 5: So if you have an author that has multiple books, you're doing a query for every book, right, give me this author in this book, this author and this book, this author in this book. Whereas if to solve that problem, you can do one big query, give me this author and all their books, you know, in one query altogether all the book I d's I guess. So that's the basic N plus one. I'm sure there's better explanations.
Speaker 4: But that's that's what I have.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And it's really easy to happen to happen. So Joyce is an entity based r M. So it is very inspired by like Ruby and active record and some of the other og entity or ms. You know, if you go all the way back to you know, Og hybridn ate and Java hybridnade back in the day and those sort of things. But there's pros and cons of an entity or m type approach where you know, you think of your I really like to think of a database schema as a graph and a connected graph and that sort of thing. But if you think of them as objects, it's really easy, which is kind of the slippery slope of a leaky abstraction, right, because if you think of your entities as objects, which is what entity or ms do, it's really easy for programmers to accidentally write four loops that cause database queries, right, because if you have an author object and you're like, oh, I'm just gonna ask for the books, you know, one of the things that entity based or ms do is is they do this lazy loading of like, oh, you don't have the books, so go get those for you, which seems really nice. But as soon as you do that in a for loop, now you've you've got an M plus one, and that's been a problem in or MS, just like fundamentally forever. You know, as soon as you start doing and what's what's annoying is when it's it's more obvious when it's in the small. You know, if you've got an endpoint and you're right in your one endpoint file and you've right there in the code, you've got a for loop, You're like, well, I loaded the authors and then within that I'm loading the books. It's very obvious within this file that I need to you know, hoist my data loading up out of more my fore loop. But what's kind of insiduous about entity based or MS is is when you start running side effects and other drive business logic. Like you know, entity or ms. They like to put methods inside the author class to do some business logic or have an author life cycle hook or or these sort of things. And as soon as some of those side effects start, you know accidentally or sort of what's the emergent behavior being called in a loop? Now you know, you're back to an N plus one. And what was maybe interesting about graph QL was just like how quickly that happened, right, So like if you're in a rails back end, you can go, you know, two or three years and you know, fight your you know, you have your every two weeks and plus one that somebody goes and you know, figures out a production where it's happening and tries to magically hoist the data loading up to the top of the endpoint. And and that's just kind of a cost of doing business in a big rails back end. And but you can kind of get away with it, you know, until you your scale is too big or whatnot. And maybe what's unique, and maybe I think why graph ql has maybe not been as popular as it could have been is just how easy that is to happen. It happens right away in graph ql. And so that was really what Joyce set up to solve, was we wanted to make a back graph ko background back end that didn't suck, to go right right, and we leaned on this Facebook data loader, which did actually come out of the graph ql community. It's it's you know, we're sitting on shoulders of giants and those sort of things. But maybe what's unique about Joyce is the data loader pattern had been around for a long time, but engineers were generally expected to integrate it by hand, right, you go into this graph QL resolver and do your data loader logic or then you know there's i know, the graph quol frameworks like the fastifies and we're curious and those were of things that you know, they have the data loader pattern built into it, but you as the engineer had to go make use of it, and that's his boiler plate and nobody does it, and it's it's kind of annoying. So Joyce claimed the thing was that it's like every operation asterisks, there's one or two that don't, especially like paginated it's very hard to do passionated autobashion. But otherwise, like every operation and joyed auto batches through data loader. So if you asked for an author and you accidentally out ask for an author and a loop and you asked for fifty, that's you know, one sequel call if you accidentally or not and accidentally, you know, on purpose, load a bunch of books in a for loop, or a bunch of books in a life cycle event, or a bunch of you know, in a graph QL NaSTA graph col resolver. Basically, every operation enjoiced goes through a data liiver for free and gets auto batched, and yeah, that's what got us started down the path.
Speaker 3: How are you doing that? Do you do you await at the end. I'm actually looking for an example on your website, you see if I if I can see what this looks like. But I'm imagining you must not await in the loop because the data obviously isn't there if you're waiting for it to batch, So you must await at the end of the loop or something like that, or or you're putting it in a callback or something that some sort of handler rather than a promise.
Speaker 6: Yep, we had some good docs. Let's see if you go to goals and then avoiding mplus ones over on the OCCA probably describes it pretty well, really soulfully. And I mean the wrinkle is that we we sit on top of nodes promises. Promises are really amazing because they because they're on the event loop and you you always have to await them, which which it's ironic because in like twenty ten, this was like everything he did in node had to do a callback and it was really terrible and every you know, everybody hated it. But yeah, the people do a node in twenty ten, man that you were that was hardcore.
Speaker 2: But banging rocks together?
Speaker 6: Yeah right, Oh what's so ironic is is this how well JavaScript is a language and touch script especially on top of it, have evolved since then too, you know, add acy, kuwait and all of these things, such that it's termed what was really annoying? This event move model of only one thread at a time. It's a really a pretty pleasant environment to work in. And so to get back to what data leader this is basically because you have to await everything anyway, the promise in the event loop is basically what sets a really fast timer for you. So like, pretend we weren't in JavaScript, we were in Java or you know, o G Java or something like this, and you're like, okay, well I'm going to do you know, ten wire calls or twenty of wire calls. But I don't really know how many I'm going to do, right, because before you start your four loop, you don't know if there's five books or ten books or you know how many books that four loop is going to go through. And so you kind of but but you don't you want to make that first book call and I have it not go right away, right, because like as soon as the io leaves the server, you know there's your inmplus one. So you want to go through your your probbial four loop. You know, maybe this is a graph QL server run time or whatever, but you know, let's think of it as a four loop. You want to like ask for book one, ask for book two, ask for book three, ask for book four, and have these like not actually happen yet. You want them to just be I'm going to goad and jump to the term promises. You want to to be a promise of a book, and you want to wait until you've asked for all of the books. And there's the hard thing is you don't know when you're done in most environments, right, So like an og JAVA or something like this, you'd write a four loop and you would get to the end of the fore loop and then you would have to like tell the run time to like, Okay, I'm at the end of the fore loop, ask for all my books. You know, flush my book calls and you could do that, but nobody does. And so what's really interesting about promises instead is that the very first you know time you asked for a book, it puts a little I want to use the term poison building, but that's not quite right. It puts a little hint at the end of the event loop, which is going to run right away, right right. It's not like a set and Millie's fifty or a set Milli's one hundred. It just says, like, you know, in just a little bit, the next tick, right, plush, plush, my sequel calls and that's it. Like that, that's the end of the trick, and it's It's really pretty surprising how such a simple little idea can you know, fundamentally transform the performance in ergonomics right of choice, like with joice and things. Using data Vader, you get this really elegant you know, ervergence, autobatching. It just works, it always works. You don't have to do anything to get it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think that Objection does something similar to this too, at least it does with its query builder. You may have taken it a step further and that you're you're exposing a query builder kind of implicitly, so as you're going through the loop, the query builder continues until you're done with the loop. I haven't actually, I don't know if I've actually tried this an objection to know whether or not it's doing something similar with with the n plus one problem. But it the query builder in general is built that way, but it's more of a chaining type of thing, like you you can keep chaining the query builder and then it waits until next tick to actually resolve the query builder into something. So by the time you await it, you're awaiting whatever is at the end of the chain, not what's at the beginning of the chain, or or the chain collapses. I'm not really sure what the how the mechanism works, but I do know that it has it has similar magic where there's state management inside of the query builder that's waiting for that next tick in order to resolve the query builder. And this this looks This looks similar, but it's got more of a a naive looking you know, like like it looks naive and then you it look it looks like you have a dot each, So rather than using the four loop on it, you use it. Well, I'm I see where you're you're building the query. I don't see where you actually use the query. I saw one example, like there was a dot each. Is that what you're providing? So people don't people don't call four each, they call dot each.
Speaker 6: I'm trying to find that dot each that you're referencing. Oh you might.
Speaker 3: Oh that was that was an example of ruby code.
Speaker 6: Never mind, Yes, sorry, yeah.
Speaker 2: That is a very ruby thing.
Speaker 6: Yes, yeah, yeah, you know I didn't actually use rails for like years and years and years, but did just stuff rails and active record to be thoroughly impressed with the ergonomics and and so Joyce is kind of unashamedly tries to you know, borrow as much ergonomics and best practices as we can for active records. And so you'll see some active record isms, especially in the docks of you know how well, and particularly the M plus ones. I guess that would be one thing I think we kind of use this as a talking point is how active record, I would have heard, has not really solved like in the same way the joyst has solved M plus ones. You know, inactive record is is kind of this whack a mole job of finding where you need to do your load hint, you know, preload hint. And we can get into it maybe a little later, but but Choice does have the concept of preload hints to make all of your weights go away, which which is maybe a tangent. And so in Joyce you can do preloadhnts because you'll get more ergonomics and you don't have to awight coat, but you don't have to, like you'll still get this emergent auto batching behavior even without. And it's interesting you mentioned objection. I'll have to go. Look, it's been a while since i've you know, for sure taken a look at the other or ms around. I think a lot of the ORMs that I've seen, you know, do require these hints for the engineer to like know upfront what's going to happen, you know, to know upfront that in my query I need to ask for this, and in my query I need to ask for this because later somebody is going to use it, right, because later somebody is going to do a for loop. And that's really the beauty of the approach is it's there's you know, any emergent behavior that actually accidentally runs accidentally or on purpose runs in a loop gets the gets the autovension.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, so if I I would love it if with your N plus ones lazy loading in a loop, example, if if it continued like the next one or three lines or whatever comes after this, I get what's happening there. But then I wonder, how would I use this, because it because you know, every everything's alighted away as to how I use it, And just for the mental model of it, I'm like, do it, do I await it a final time? Or do I what I.
Speaker 6: See what you're saying. Maybe go to the load safe relations page right below this you'll get a little bit of a few more Synceax examples of like using acting the entities and the relations on the entities, so we do wrap our relations, you know. So this would be author dot books, you know, that's the books relation or author dut publishers, the publisher relation, and some of the og ORMs like type orm at least back when I did it, and I'm ninety percent sure they still do that, and even the java ORMs the hybernates in the world. What a model of those like? As the array directly right, author dot books is literally a book array, but it's not really because it has to be lazy loaded, right, and so then they do various proxy lazy loading magic to make it look like a book array as soon as you access it. We go ahead and wrap all of our relations and these little rappers that you can either ask to be loaded. So like on that load safe relations, you'll if the publisher's not loaded yet, the type system knows about it. If this is kind of the tangent that I was alluding to earlier, is that when I used type orm back in the day, because of this, the type system would never know whether something was loaded or not. Right, if you just gave me an author and I wanted to get to the books, sure I could do author books, but but I didn't really know whether that had been loaded or not.
Speaker 3: And if they're all monads, it's monads all the way down.
Speaker 6: Well you're getting yes, you're getting that. Yeah, and so correct use of monads. Nice. No, Actually, well, you guys talked about effect recently, right, how those guys on the podcast. I think that's how that go by the TS effect Or maybe I'm getting my podcast mixed up. Well, the promise promise is basically a monad unless you talk to the TS affect people, and the TS effect people have strong opinions how promise is not the perfect monad, and they have their own effect that is the more perfect monad. Which is fine, but I I don't know. I think it's a little maybe academic and promising is just fine to me, I guess so for.
Speaker 3: The people at home, yeah, that have never encountered somebody who can both know what a monad is and explain it in a way that other people can understand at the same time. I am the singularity. Now, a monad is simply an object that encapsulates a value that is not the value itself. So, for example, if you have answer is equal to forty two, that's a value. If you were to wrap answer in a promise so that you have to do something else like call dot then or in some way unwrap it in order to get the value forty two out of it, that's a monad.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and I think it's applicable here because I think one of the things moments are great about is delaying evaluation. You know, to your example, when you ask for forty two and it's just like forty two is right there. You know, there's no ability to do like metaprogramming around that or you know, but if you're you know, you mentioned monad wrapping the value that you have to ask for the fact that monad's fundamental and promises. You know, is is if you squint a monad, you have to ask it for its value. That that delayed execution is what allows you to do fun things like autobatchet sequel calls.
Speaker 5: So one thing that's interesting here and looking at this is I come from them. I live in the PHP world of Claravel, and I'm sing a heck of a lot of similarities here, sure, just in terms of relationships and definitions and how you load them, how you get them the syntax hopefully a good way you're using Yes, yeah, you're using dot instead of you know, as an arrow since P versus no. But yeah, so that to me that looks very similar.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean we try to be very boring in a good way and then like, uh, you know, but still have the value adds that or innovations that make it different so to say.
Speaker 7: But yeah, but yeah, you know, Aja you had mentioned, what does it just look like to even get the data out that this next a load safe relations hopefully shows you.
Speaker 6: It's very soon. You know, you go to you have an author, you go to your publisher. You ask for it, yes, for the books, you ask for the things. Maybe the second code example of the load safe relations is an interesting thing to talk about because it shows the difference between like a dot load that returns a promise versus a dot get that returns it synchronously. So promises are actually kind of annoying. They're very boiler plate because you've got to await everything. Right. So if you've got a little you know, let's say ten to twenty line method, and you want to go from you know, the books, to the book reviews to the review comments, and every single one of those is is as you know, you're gonna have to await promise all your top loop. You're gonna have to wait, promise all your inner loop, and you're gonna have to wait, you know, promise all your third loop, and it, you know, and then flat map the promises together and something something something something, and you can do it. But you know it's I couldn't you know. I guess I'd ask GDP to write it for me the first time round. But but what joyceless you do with these load safe relations is if you do? You know, So I just made a big deal about how the auto bashing of our sequel behavior is very emergent. You don't have to declare load hints and preload hints to get that performance of those. But if you do, you know, at a load hint, you know one of these like I want the author and I want the publisher and the comments in the books, which I think is you know, aj kind of like the objection query builder is my guess of what that syntax looks like.
Speaker 3: I've tried to forget it. I've tried, I've tried to erase it from my memory. I'm done with r MS, by the way. I'm a sonic for node and CQC for everything else. They've burned me too many times and I just can't find the value in the end of the Yes.
Speaker 6: Well that there's our second half of the recording, for sure, we can get to that. The but you know, back to the loads versus the gets is that if you do do these loads, which are optional you don't have to do for performance, it actually changes the types and the type system. So these get methods that let you like, there's no a weights now, right, so like it used to be if I had a loop and a loop and a loop, but I have to await every single time I touched a relation. If you do these load hints. We'll add in because joys and the choice run time and the typescript type system knows the data is there, we'll add synchronous methods for you to be able to get at it. Just do this, get to this skit, and it's as if it was a raised in memory or our entities of memory, because it is now and we know that it is now right. Whereas if you hadn't done that load hint, we don't really know. You know, there might be an I'll call there and so you have to await. But I would say that's probably the second on the list of what you know, what makes things, what makes joyce novel and pleasant, it is maybe this load safe relations to just remove some of the aweight dunks that you would know.
Speaker 3: You're telling me that by virtue of calling aweightauthor dot books dot load online three online four, the type script checker knows that author dot books dot get exists, and it wouldn't know that if online three I hadn't run the load Uh.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, if you if we're on the same we're on the load safe relations. We're in the second code block of that page.
Speaker 3: The second code block of that page Okay, now I'm looking loads. Yeah, the very first section. Now looking at the second code block. Okay, author, dot publisher, dot get ye. And you're saying, you're saying that because oh no, this is oh this is different, this is different. Okay. So it's looking at what load returns, and it's determining from what load returns. I was actually looking in the second section where or is it the third section? I was. I was a little bit further down. Okay, yes, I was a little bit further down. I was looking at the after it says yuck, and it says anyway, I think I I think I get, I think I get what's going on. But no, my question still stands, so yuck. Given this compilation, some r ms in the JavaScript space sometimes fudge collections must be a sync da dad and then it and then it has three lines here and so there's one line where it awight dot load for author, and then there's another line for a weight dot load the books. But that one is not doing books equals right. So this one, the type checker still wouldn't know for certain that dot get exists because this one didn't do a book's equals authored books dot load right. Right, yeah, okay, okay, all right, now now I'm on board because typescript does a lot of magic. It does a lot of magic, and I have sure I have fought with some of that magic. And you were you were teaching me new I thought you were teaching me new magic that I needed to know. But but no, it's it's it's it's old magic, old magic. Got it.
Speaker 6: I'm with you, right, Yeah. The example could probably be cleaned up a little bit. I don't know why the camera keeps going out of focus, but uh, the intent was to show that type O REM was probably the m other ORM I've used the most before Ritey joiced it, and it was five years ago, so I have to, you know, add all sorts of disclaimers that maybe they fixed things camerah that you know, you'd have to like magically access a relation in one part of the code base to then like access it in another, and it would just it would just work over there and you wouldn't have to await it. And I don't know, it was kind of magic magic at the distance, as I recall, But but disclaimers, that was a while ago, and it was what that section was attempting to show, but yeah, can probably be for stuffed a little bit.
Speaker 3: Right, Well, I'm with you. I think that this is in some ways, like like many good solutions. When you see it, it's obvious and you wonder why doesn't everyone do it this way? Like looking at it, it doesn't look like, oh, you did something super intelligent that required the brain of a thousand men combined into one. Sure, you know, it looks it looks like well, dove, of course you do it this way, but other people weren't doing this way. So you are the genius. You're the genius that discovered the simple way to do it.
Speaker 6: Sure, I found I found data loader first.
Speaker 4: I guess.
Speaker 6: But yes, yeah, yeah, I mean that's kind of the intent is is that again? You know, shout out to the rails active record fos of boring is good? Right, you know some of the other things that we do try and do well, I'm this might tiptoe aj into your like orems you know, are terrible sort of thing. We try to like make first class notions around domain and modeling. Right, so like we try to think of not just tables in the database, but try and think of like our entities as a graph. And you know, how are we modeling the world? You know, I like domain driven design, although there are can they're sign a kind of some complexities in cargo culting ish around some of the domain driven design stuff.
Speaker 3: But you'll have to give me the simple explanation of domain driven design because with all of the you know, the xdds that exist.
Speaker 6: I mean, it's an older notion from so. Eric Evans was the guy in you know, probably twenty ten or so, two thousand and five or so that popularized the term. Really a lot of it was, you know, you biquitous language and engineers speaking in the same language as your business users and uh, you know, really modeling the entities in their world, you know, in the code and that sort of thing. And well, for me, that was the you know, eighty percent of what domain driven design was about.
Speaker 3: Anyway, Sorry, I heard words. What did you say? Take it? Take it one take it one layer lower, like like remove the buzz the buzzwords from it if you can.
Speaker 6: And yeah, well, so ubiquitous language is like you know, if the if you talk to your uh you know, so I do a lot of back office ish sort of software, right, so so if I'm talking to a user of my software and they they call something a bill, I probably want to call that a bill in the code base, right, like like we want to remove these sort of like talking past each other where you know, I call the or or I don't. I don't I call it something different, or I don't even have the concept of a bill right it with within the code base, or you know, for any of the other you know sort of workflow. You know, you know, I'm falling back on like you know, uh, crowd app, you know, credas, enterprise spreadsheets and those sort of things where you're you're making software for business users running a business that you know, all of the business concepts have a matching concept in the code that kind of matches it as much as you can, and you know you don't want to, yeah, as much as you can. And so that's the the ubiquitous language side of things, and and the domain driven design sort of things is kind of a set of patterns around you know it really kind of I want to say it's at the heart of it. But you know, if there's a bill concept to the user, you probably have a bill entity. And if the user has a you know, bank account concept, you probably have a bank account concept and that sort of thing. So just you know, modeling the world that you're building your system around in your code base, I guess better explanation hopefully.
Speaker 3: So, so just more of a one to one between the way that you would speak about the business rules, as in, when a customer places an order, it puts an eyem in the shopping cart and then it triggers the payment, So you would you would just have a pretty much a one to one with that, where okay, then there's a shopping cart object, there's a customer object, there's a there's a payment object. So just the idea of being fairly fairly one to one, not not having too many abstractions over what the the the need is for the customer to get done and the way the software does the design is built.
Speaker 6: Okay, Yeah, which you know you mentioned the you know a lot of the joyisms like that they look very natural and and kind of default er. What I think the ubigotis language is kind of the same thing. I don't think it's super innovative per se. It's just a term for I think probably what most people do by default anyway, you know, potentially, But yeah, well, and so along the lines of the domain modeling side of things. We try to, you know, add some first class features on top of just just a table, just a database table and just columns. Right, so we try to be very explicit about well we can get into some of our reactivity sort of things. But you know, even if you start talking about database tables, you know, some of your tables are you know, primitive columns, which is great, and some of them are your foreign key columns which are your relations and all. All of that's fine. We want to talk about let's do a cross sense of the validation rules. So you know, while this might get a j will tiptoe into your you know, just stats for ORM sort of discussion. Like one of the things that I do, I think entity ORMs so and and the economy between. So I mentioned the term entity based or amalot, I would say. The other style of working with data is quiry builders, right, So the quary builders of the node world are like the prismas Drizzle are probably the big two these days. Keithley is another, if I'm saying their name right. But on the query builder side of the spectrum, you issue every single call that the ORM does. You do directly, right, you make the query and it the quary builders just facilitates. You're doing that in a very you know, nicer syntax than writing raw sequel, and you you know, hopefully you'll get some type safety from it because the quarry builder looks at your database schema and does some type checking of your typescript DSL and that sort of thing.
Speaker 3: So that's maybe maybe it does, maybe it doesn't.
Speaker 6: Sure, yeah, yeah, and so so those are the quarry builders in But my maybe slight quibal is that I don't I almost don't consider those r ms. I've got a plug blog post I want to go right about like what the O in RM means. And I guess maybe this is just my I know, this is my biases, but the O and an r M to me has always kind of meant an entity, right, Like, if I'm using an r M, I expect.
Speaker 3: There to be an oh for entity, Yes, you know, firm firm.
Speaker 6: I guess it's really the term I'm looking for here.
Speaker 3: But yeah, yeah, for the ten.
Speaker 6: To fifteen years I used r ms like you know, the hybernates and the GPAs and all of those other in the active record, right, Like every RM i'd used up until like three or four years ago in the note community had entities. Maybe you had an author file, a book file, a book review file, a comic file, and maybe it was jop a code, or maybe it was Ruby code or whatever, and it seems like THEE the go ahead.
Speaker 3: I think that the common pattern is that the O r M is built on the queer builder, and so the query builder trips through the ORM. Because you use the ORM, it uses the query builder. It returns you a partially built query builder object. Then you add on dot select name, age, and so the ORM is giving you In many cases it's giving you both. Because to the point of you know, the conference slides of graph QL, Yeah, why load the entire ten fifteen columns if all you need is two? And the answer to that is, of course, well you're going to need the other ten or fifteen otherwise you wouldn't have them, so you might as well load them and then just cash them.
Speaker 6: That's cheap. Yeah, we're in a row orient in storage. So no, you're you're right that For a long time, and if you said ORM, it did mean both. It meant you had an author file and a book file and a book review file. But the worms came with the quiry builders, like the hybridates of the world, so that you could, you know, or ms kind of by default. Of course, you're really good at the very boring credit quaries like an insert update the lead of an author of book, you know, book review. They can knock those things out any any day, every day. What gets hard is the queries that like, oh I want to join and left join over here and then group by then having and all of those other sort of things is really where ORMs are not so great, but historically have come with quiry builders in them somewhere to at least try and let you do that, which maybe another unique thing about joys. We don't have that. Like, I think that's a very hard problem to solve, and I haven't decided to tackle it yet just because I mean, the stuff you can do in SQL, I'd rather just write SQL. Like I think there's a yeah, yeah, you know that there's this psychotomy where people think that, well, if you use an ORM, you have to do everything through the ORM, or if you do a quiry builder, you have to do everything through the quiry builder.
Speaker 3: And now we're getting into interesting. Yeah, now we're getting into a very interesting area. And I and now I'm very very interested, you know, to hear more of what you're saying, because sure, I think that from from my perspective, from what I've seen, you know, being in software the last twenty years, and O rms have existed longer than that. But from what I've seen, the r RM came about because Postgress became popular, and suddenly people wanted the the you know, the hoity toity people that were using postgress my rather than my sequel, or the people that just wanted to do the lowly people that were using sql light rather than my sequel. They wanted to be able to say, my open source project is for you too, and so rather than having their project work really well with my sequel, they started making compromises so that would work just as poorly with Postgress or with sql light as it would work with my sqel. But from my from my framing, that's how O rms came about was instead of let's let's just use the tools of the database, well let's castrate them so we might as well just be using ago.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's an interesting.
Speaker 3: LONGO didn't exist yet, right.
Speaker 6: Right, right, right, No, you're right, there is a race to like the lowest common denominator across databases, you know, for the r ms that so you know, Joyce is very tiny, and so we only support post grade right now, which is not really on purpose so to say that's just the only thing that we've needed personally.
Speaker 3: But because you're hoiity toity, No, we're small.
Speaker 2: I just.
Speaker 3: I'm easy. I'm easy because I was saying, that's.
Speaker 6: Paying me to go go, right, But my sequel driver if you want, I hope I hope.
Speaker 3: You never do. But I hope you never do. I hope that you just keep because some of the great projects out there, they as they grow, they start saying, oh, well we are like this is happening with SQL see right. SQL see was a postgress only thing. And now they're like, okay, well, we're also going to support my sequel and we're also going to support sequel light. And rather than just supporting GO, which I'm totally fine with them doing the Jason format because that's a way of abstraction that seems right, they're like, oh, and we're gonna have a Typescript specific driver and we're gonna have a Python specific and so now the project's kind of you know it ye, Like, I guess it's not a paid product, so you can't complain. The author's gonna do whatever the author wants to do. But instead of chasing dollars, the author's chasing stars, which means that now you get more stars by introducing to a new community once you've captured the stars of one community. So making your Postcress Driver better isn't going to get you but another ten percent of stars. Creating a my sequel driver is going to double your stars, right, and so then the quality of the Postcress Driver, or at least the response time to issues with the Postcress Driver go down. When it's like, but this is why I wanted it. So I hope you never support my sequel, not because my sequel is bad, but just because if you could focus on doing one thing, well yeah, then it'll work.
Speaker 6: Well yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 2: Go ahead, Steven, and I'll jump in.
Speaker 6: Well, I was gonna say I should just hang up now because because like, uh, Joyce doesn't have a lot of users, and one of the reasons I'm here is like, hey, a lot of people should use Choyce. You know, we think it's great we're kind of fan boys of it obviously, and I love for more people use it, but they're gonna ask for more things. They're going to ask for sequel support with my sequel support, and they're gonna ask for this, and they're gonna ask for this, And I really have qualms, you know, go back and forth. Like when you're a project small and dedicated, you can do whatever you want to it and and we can do that now.
Speaker 3: But just charge money, Just charge money. Just say it's it's it's thirty bucks a year, it's ninety nine bucks a year for all right, ex features.
Speaker 1: I'm going to say my say, I'm gonna say what I'm thinking here because I mean so much of this kind of cuts both ways, if you know what I mean, right, So it really pays off to have a focused o RM that just does the stuff people want to do right and and to make the case right, if you're using an orm for Mango, it only supports Mango, right. If there's if there's something else that kind of looks if you squint at it like Mango and kind of works if you squint at it like Mango.
Speaker 2: Nobody's writing extensions for those other systems.
Speaker 1: Right, And I get that we're kind of in a world where yeah, all of the different sequel based systems use sql ra if, right, So you know, so you can kind of flirt with it. But the thing that I'm seeing too, right is so I you know, it's funny because we've all kind of said I work in not JavaScript most of the time these days. Ors you know something like that, right, Laravel or go or in my case Ruby. One thing that I've seen with this is with the with the Ruby with active record. Yeah, you use the post gross driver and then active record takes advantage of that to query the database. But if you want other features that postgress provides that are not you you know, specifically provided by active record or specifically provided by that driver, you can pull in other libraries that add the functionality. And so it really depends on what your goal is in my opinion, right, is your goal just to solve the particular problem that you guys have, right, Because if that's the case, and it does a really good job of it, and then yeah, other people who are using PostgresSQL and are writing back end code, I'm presuming you're using express or something. You're right, Yeah, pull, pull, in pull in joice right, makes sense. If you're using my SQL then and you really want a joicst like thing, you can fork it or you can find something else.
Speaker 3: But yeah, just give people a script that installs Postgress correctly, with the users set up to be able to create.
Speaker 6: There there we go. Yeah, I do think well, you mentioned active record. I think active record has walked the line really well of sporting a lot of databases and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it does not like I use Postgress, and it does not do everything that Postgress does. It does a vast majority of the things that most people use, and so it does a really good job there, but it doesn't do everything.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think some of this might get back to that, Like I'm the you know, when do you use the or M and when do you just use a red sequel and a quary builder? Right? And that my impression, and maybe it's my bias and my assumption is that a lot of people have been burned by the r m's of the world. I'm sure there's a lot of reasons. We can get to yours when you get to but is this like obsession with putting everything that some projects have not every but a lot of projects have with like making everything go through the ORM, right, which, then you know, Charles, you run into like, well, the ORM doesn't do this for post creder, doesn't do that for you know, my sequel or whatnot. And I don't have that strict of an opinion about it insofar as like I think borms that do ninety percent of your applications boring cred quarries, right, which which is by far the far far majority of queries we do, is super boring crub that is probably exactly the same sequel across five to eight top databases.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 6: I think Joyce really can pretty easily support the my squels and seql lights and all of those for the subset of you know, really common crud queries. And then like you know, when you need to escape patch out to like the you know whatever left joint syntax that only post grade supports, I think that's perfectly fine. Go use your you know, uh just wright, go write some raw SQL and do some you know, low level quarries where you need it. And I think that happens so when you need it, you really need it, but it happens so frequently in a large application. It's like sub five percent of the time, probably five ten percent of the time that you can still get a ton of benefit from the entity or side of things through all of the super boiler plate stuff. And and also for the that super boiler place stuff I think is also what's most common commonly is supported across the you know, most popular databases. So we are a post ray right now, but only But I don't think it'll be a big shift from our vision to Polina my sequel or something like that. Get when do we get to it?
Speaker 3: So tell me more about raw dogging the sequel. Yeah, how do you how do you approach that? Because it seems like it I again back to the why arms exist. I think they started out because people wanted to support seql light and postgrass and they're my sequel projects, That's what it seems like. But then once they were there, it started to kind of like functional programming was also you know, hitting one of its uh one of its phases, and so it's like, oh, look, I could do the chaining, I could do I do all the functional program Functional programming is more amenable to relational algebras opposed to the Java style programming that it was you know, existed at the time that this stuff seemed to be really taking off from from you know, my point in history, which I'm you know, I missed a bunch of fit because I came in kind of not I thought I was in the early days. Maybe I was more towards the middle of it than I thought. But anyway, so, so you've got that, and then but so then the whole thing is, well, you know, now it's typed, and now it works in your language, and now and so and so SQL became the bad guy. It's like, well, the o RM isn't just so that you can support multiple databases. It's actually because it is the morally superior choice. Good people use rms because they're good people, and and so then so so it's like, well, if you buy into the idea of an ORM, then you're a good person. And if you're a good person, you're not gonna raw dog the sequel, are you, because then you lose your portability, and then you lose your functional programming, and then you lose all the things that are so enlightened. So how how do you have this the economy where you gonna say, use joys to RM? But actually, yeah, rob Dog the sequel when you need to.
Speaker 6: I don't know, I just do. I mean the excellent well, I mean I've tried to use r ms in the past that you know, you get their dsls get so contorted to try and support every little thing in SQL that you'd want to do in a typescript DSL and that sort of thing that you're just you know why, you know, even if it's type to like I really love types, right, I really love static typing. I love code, you know, generating you know, the database schema and pulling those you know, like the act of what active record does, like that, you know, is really what joys trades to do. You granted at coaching times, so the typescript compiler can see it. But like there's a limit to where like let's just write some sequel. And I think especially because it just doesn't happen that often, right, Like, and that's what makes me feel not so bad about it, Right Like if I had a one hundred thousand line code based in fifty thousand of it, or like entities and the other fifty thousand were you know, raw dog sequel, and it was very hard to see when you you would use each and you you know, there were little camps of like on this one you you know, which one do you use and that sort of thing. But at least on the projects that we've got going on so far, like like, it's really pretty obvious that you early seems like it that that you know, you do use the r M for as much as you can, but then those last few and in terms of what it actually looks like, we don't have a little bit of glue. So right now, Joyce sits on top of Connects, which is just another it's one of these query builders. It's like the key sleep and that's what Joyce itself sends the queries through. And so we use the same connection pools as Connects, if I'm saying that right. And so if you.
Speaker 3: Do, it's after the Lego alternative.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, yeah. And so when you want to you know, broad dog to your sequel, you just get the connects d s L from the same I mean, I say DSL, but but there's it is a DSL, but it's it's it's much lower level. It's much closer than the sequel and it's not as type to me's for thing, and you just do a few of them and you know, make sure you write tests and I don't know, I don't care that the code ends up being cleaner. And yeah, oh, I wanted to follow the tangent you had mentioned that, you know, ORMs were really great for cross database compatibility. Actually, I don't know if that's the case. I know that that is a purported benefit of the ORMs, but just like, how often have you really seen a project my great databases? Like it's just like, well, that's the thing, Like it's not gonna I think that.
Speaker 3: There's an impetus, right, I mean you have to go back to the root cause. What's the root cause? Well, I believe the root cause is more stars and back then there wasn't GitHub, but still download count on SourceForge, right, That's that I think is the thing is that people wanted to see the number tick because if you're not getting paid in dollars, you want to get paid in social credit. And I believe that what it was is they wanted to get other people in their community to wash that download tick or source sports go up.
Speaker 6: I'll give you that. That's that is an interesting dissertionon I'll have to think about that the whole Like, you know, then you mentioned the sq C goes after the all of the seql light users and that sort of thing. I don't know, I'll step back a little bit, like more than like cross database compe, Like I'm gonna we use abos aurra at at homebound. It's amazing. I'm going to run on Aurora for the next you know, twenty years if I can. Like it just gets as big as you you know, want it to. And granted you have to pay for it, but it's an amazing product and I have no desire to run on anything other than that. But oh, but that's not why I use the r M. Why use the r M is business variant enforcement, right, So validation rules such that you know what, I my my just credulity with the Corey builder approach is like, you know, let's say I'm in my author endpoint, I'm in my save author endpoint, and I'm going to do an insert an update. Let's say I'm going to update the author Okay, so somebody raw dogs an update to the author table. What business rules did they check? Well, you know, before they switched that first name, before they updated the you know, book title, or before they increased the book rating, and like how many derive values, validation rules and drive values are trying to watch whatever they just updated, right? So uh, you know, let's say that the author has a star count right and or or you know these sort of you know, Active record has some countercashers that we haven't quite flung that yet, but just in general, the idea of you know, after you update this row in the database, something else needs to know about it. And that's why I use RMS. I would just be super scared of like raw dog and a s an update to an author and forgetting what else did I have to do? You know, what other validation rules did I have to run? What other dragau should have to update? And those are the two things. You know, we were kind of into the third phase of what joyce is amazing yet you know M plus one and you know avoidance was the first one. Second one is those you know, populate hints to move a get rid of a weight gunk. And the third one is this like not only validation rules and life cycle hooks, like active record has the you know, we have active record style before flushes and before updates, we do cross entity reactivity, which is kind of a fancy marketing praise from it. So I guess I am kind of putting on my my marketing hat here. But so you know, on the front end, reactivity is a big catchphrase right of when you update the component over here, you know, the reactivity is updating all of the component. You update state, you know, you update state once and then it gets broadcasted out.
Speaker 3: Well, I've heard about it. I haven't seen it, but I've heard about it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, sure, Well Joyce basically brings that concept to the back end. So like when in a Joyce entity, when you update an author and let's say the author first name or the author last name, we will watch notably for like validation rules on the author itself. Like you know, the the really simple ones are the validation rules you'll see in a ZOD or some sort of schema based partier that they just look just at the field and just to the primitive values in the field. Isn't too long or is it too short? Is it an email rejects? Is it not no? Or whatever? And those are fine, you know, that's that's what a ZOD can do for you. But you know, when you start talking business and varianceisconds back to like some of the bigotous language and being driven design when you go talk to your you know, your business users and they're like, well, I have this this rule. I use the term invariant, this business rule that I want to just always be true. You know, I want this to always be true. And it's probably not going to look at just what the first name is. Is the first name too long or too short?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 6: It might look at well, are you know the first name can't be the last name or or you know, it's going to look at multiple fields at once, right, just on with one on one entity. But then it's also very common for like the rules to want to like look across entities like well, if my author is has some sort of status, right, if my author is employed, And then my other validation rule in the books, like the books can be you know, sold or something like this, right, and so these sort of cross and variant validation rules. That's why I use ORMs, and and I hope you know, I can't speak for others, but that's that's what I would assume is an attraction to the ORM is not just like abstraction from the SQL database I'm using.
Speaker 3: So I guess in that sense I build my own RM because I prefer to have business logic in a separate layer from storage logic. I see these these two things is fundamentally different. And as I you know, I'm going through in refactoring code and like like looking through projects, as as I tend to do being you know, consultant, I think that the worst, like the weakest abstractions are the ones that combine storage and messaging with business logic, because business logic is the most likely to change. And so anytime that storage and messaging are together with business logic or you know, either one of those or together with business logic, then it it just it's always a nightmare when X needs to change, well now you have to go change Y and Z as well. You know. So I'm I'm very I'm very much a business logic goes in the business logic place. Yeah, And that's so fundamentally my stack, my ideal stack is routing is global. Business logic is per component. Storage is more or less global slash hierarchical. But like the business logic uses the storage, it's not in the storage. And then messaging likewise, messaging might be global with like some hierarchical component to it. But yeah, the business logic uses the messaging. So what I'll do, which you don't see this in a lot of code bases because people like to abstract it away, because I want to function that's like save that's going to do the business logic, do the storage logic, and do the message logic altogether. What I'll do is I'll literally like call the get function, take the data, call the business function on the data, and then take the result, and then call the messaging function. But then then whenever it's time to refactor, whenever business logic changes, it's like I got to go and just change that one thing. I don't have to go change my storage module or my messaging module or or whatever.
Speaker 6: Sure, yeah, no, I mean what you're saying reminds me a lot of I mean I've seen I've seen those architectures in the past. I've worked in those code bases, and it's a very familiar argument, I guess, especially you saw it, you know fifteen, you know, twenty years ago. In the Java world, there's a very strong push to have well the terms the same POJOs. You know, plain old although this was Java now, you you know plain at old JavaScript object or plain old Java object you know, passed between your layers, and you had to have a storage layer, and that was the only place they could put like data into your your your POJOs. I guess what you know? I think this is what I learned from active record and the pattern in general, but then also Ruby. The implementation is that if your storage matches, this gets to kind of the domain model, the concept in your bigder's language. If your storage schema matches what your you know, potos supposed to be anyway, the storage layer just goes away. Right, There is no storage layer anymore.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 6: That's that's what the active record pattern fundamentally does. And I think there is an assumption there that you can control your schema, right, So like you know, twenty years ago, when your schema was controlled by the Oracle database admin, that you had this amid scripts to once a week for him to maybe add a table if you ask nicely enough, right, and all of these other sort of things. You had really shitty database schemist.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 6: They were just ugly and they were wrong, and they modeled the data, you know, had ugly names and that sort of thing. And so the ORMs way back in the day, like hibernates of the world. Part of what they tried to do was like fix the terrible database schema. Right, you would write your mapping files or your storage layer to try and you know, get the data out of the super ugly database and put it into your super pristine oh kojo later. Right, that was all you know, your ivory tower of which you really wanted it to be. And to me, that's that's where the whole you know, or MS or the Vietnam of computer science came from. Is that the Yeah, this notion that that you have, oh right, the object relational mismatch you know, that'll get you know, thrown around, is in like somehow objects are just fun only different from relations. I don't. I don't think that they are like you know, I think if you they don't have to be anyway. I I think they were back in the day when you've had super terrible, terrible oracle database schemas that you wanted to map onto your different set of you know, objects, you know, that was an impedance. But that was not because of the technologies. That was just you know, because your schemas were so terrible. But you know, if you have the freedom to make your your you know, database schema what it really should be. You know, if you have an author, you have an author's table. If you have a book, you have a bookstable, and you know the columns match which you wants them to be, and you can change them with migrations extremely quickly in a C I CD pipeline. I think that impedance goes away and you start thinking of your your relational database as a graph database, really just a graph database at skills really well, because for whatever reason, graph databases haven't really taken off and can you know whatever, but you know, you think of your relational database as a graph database. And now your storage leader. Coming back to where you put your business edge, there is no storage layer. The RM just doesn't. And so now what the entity has become is not a storage layer. They are business logic player, right, so when you're you know, you say, well, I'll have my business off somewhere else. This is one of my criticisms of the quiry builders is that you have to do just what you did. So, like Joyce and our entities, we provide a framework for business logic and we've we've attempted to vet it and attempted to organize it and attempted to, you know, design a really pleasant way to organize your business logic. I'm gonna say, like separate from your storage layer. But there is no storage layer. That's kind of the point.
Speaker 3: Such that, well, there is a storage layer, it's just abstracted in some way. I mean, there's obviously there sure is a storage layer.
Speaker 1: Active record does this by convention, right, And so you don't think about it because it's mostly invisible, right. And I think I think that's what you're saying, Steven. And what I find is that this probably works ninety five percent of the time, and then the other five percent of the time you have to go play the game of Okay, I've got something that's a little more complicated than just business logic in this one narrow vein of users for example, Right, And so what I wind up doing is I wind up creating some other entity that manages that business logic and that workflow and all the things that are involved in that. You can call it a component, you can call it a service, you can call it whatever you want. But yeah, you wind up solving that in a different way. And I think sometimes people get into the arena of saying I don't like rms because they don't solve things in this five percent or three percent of the time exactly. And the reality is is it's like, look, it does all this stuff for me the other ninety five to ninety seven percent of the time, and so I'm gonna use it because it gets all of this garbage out of the way and it makes all of the storage stuff invisible to me, and it gives me a place to put the stuff that I care about and then yeah, I'm gonna have to go and I'm gonna have to special cases other crop.
Speaker 6: Yeah, which is fine.
Speaker 3: And that is actually my plug for or sq C is that it gets all of the crap out of the way. But there's the only constraints that it has is that it can't do meta table stuff like for example, and I don't think active record does this either, Like if you wanted to create a table dynamically, like let's say that you were doing something like Snowflake, where you need to create tables on the fly to represent csvs that people are importing, sq C is not the right tool for that job. Sure, but that is in your like zero point one percent. I think like it's very rare that you need to do meta manipulations on a table in an application that you're like multi vendoring your application in that kind of way. But like for all the stuff that it but all the stuff that an orm is gonna do, typically C is going to do for you. It's just that you just write the sequel, and you write the sequel as specific as you want. And what it does is it uses the Postgress query builder, like it links to the C code, and so it runs the C code and then it gets back basically the like it knows what the C code object is going to be, and then it translates that to JSON and then translates that to GO or in the case of Go, it might do direct because they didn't have the Jason adapter. The Jason adapter came before they created the adapter that goes to the other languages like Python and Typescript. Originally it was just straight from Postgress to GO. But anyway, so it hasn't it. It reads from the Postgress specific type system into a broad type system, into the languages type system, and so you get all of the typing, you get all of the objects. It's very easy to yeah, any anyway, so so that that's where that's where SQL SEE in particular, I think is is the best in class. Although it's it's probably not something many people have a mental model for because as far as I know, it's the only one of its kind. It's it's another one of those obvious ideas where once you see it, it's like, oh, why haven't we been doing this for the last twenty thirty years? But yeah, you know again, but nobody did it.
Speaker 6: It is a cute approach. I doe like the novel well for my caveat would be for you know when Charles said the last two to three you know, four percent of things that are really gnarly and you have to like reach outside of the box. I think the sequel c approach is really pretty novel and great for giving you a file to just write your super one off according and that sort of thing. I guess for the other ninety five percent of things, I don't use it. What's that.
Speaker 2: I don't think I've ever used sql SE SQL SEE yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't know if they have a Ruby adapter.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean the yeah, the concept.
Speaker 1: Is I'm playing more and more in the JavaScript realm anyway anyway, sorry I keep jumping in.
Speaker 3: Oh no, that's no obviously.
Speaker 6: The well yeah, so the the t ld R O SQL CEE is that usually you know, we talk about raw dogging SQL, right, so usually raw docking SQL in most languages is you just go do an embedded sequel stream, you know, inside.
Speaker 3: Of your and you lose the types and you lose.
Speaker 6: The types and you're just building a great big squel statement as a string. And maybe you use a string builder or maybe you you know, you somehow piece together what is in your language fundamentally a stream.
Speaker 3: And then then you have a typo in in in the name of people where you transpose the O and the e and you don't find out until you deploy.
Speaker 6: Uh. And so what's novel about SQL, see is they have you write this instead your your query and a dedicated file outside of your you know, your language, whether it's GO or typescript or whatever called like you know, my query dot sql. You know, get authors dot sql or you know, read authors dot sql or insert authors dot sql and you write literally the the sequel that's going to go to the database and you get it. Used variable interprelation like dollars sign one dollars tent two. And then what they do is they just you know, they parse that seqel type check it, and then generate a little binding around it that says like oh, if you you know, they cogen out a wrapper, that's a method, you know, a method that will really just load that little SEQL file and then call it. So it really is a pretty neat way to get, like you out of like writing raw dog sequel inside of strings in the database or sorry, in your in your typescript file, or you're going five into like what is actually a SQL file. I actually think that's pretty great. My disclaimer would be like for those three to four to five percent of cases where I want to be raw dogging sqel, and the other ninety five percent, which is like the super boring update author's credit statement that not only is the very boilerplate to write the the you know, update authors SQL which which you know I don't want to write but maybe you could say, is not fine, but all of the invariants that I need to go make sure still pass right, like sure I updated the author, what other business rules.
Speaker 3: Or but that's all in your business logic. That's all in your business logic. So that's that's still now, like you still get that, you don't bypass that.
Speaker 6: Do seq C have a way tell you how to structure your business logic or that's just like on you to figure out a way to do it.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean you do it the same way you do it anywhere else, right, whether you're using SQL or not. So you just sq C takes care of the storage layer and you you But okay, I mean I don't want to. I don't want to do and yeah, I don't want to go.
Speaker 2: To so sure, yeah.
Speaker 6: Maybe one last thing about it is that I think the corea builders of the world, and this is I would include SEQC in that, but also the Christmas and drizzles and all of these leave as an exercise to the reader how to structure their business logic, right, like like when to invoke it, how to structure it, where to put it. And that actually is the most the thing that the choice is focused on is like sure eighty percent, well you know, sixty percent of is an orient to get data out of your database. The other forty is a way to structure your business logic. Instead of everybody having to kind of make up their own and hope they do it right and in those sort of things. Grant it is a very opinionated way to structure because it uses entities, and it uses life cycle hooks, and it uses some reactivity is it? But it isn't pin neated.
Speaker 3: It is interesting, and I think that psychologically there's there's an effect there that that's really valid because people, you know, people go both ways about frameworks, you know, like I love a framework because it guides me. I hate frameworks because it constricts me. Right, And I think that you could have a framework that is here's how to put your you know, where to put your business logic, and then here's where you plug in your storage adapter. But I think that people are more familiar with the idea that the ORM is going to be the framework that dictates business logic rules with the data association.
Speaker 6: Yeah, which is what we do, yeah, bread and butter.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yep. Cool.
Speaker 1: Well, I think this has been so interesting to just kind of listen in on more than participate in. Usually I'm jabbering all the time. Sure, but if people want to learn more, where do they go find more information?
Speaker 6: Yeah? Sure, you know, so we're joy stash or m period I O and you had mentioned you, and if you just google for Joyce or m we do kind of come up higher in the and the results. We've got to get hump project feel free too. Oh and oh, we use to have a slack. But what's the thing that you you say is discord? You know discord? Uh, actually, I'm make sure I'm locked into that when if I mentioned it. But yeah, feel free to to stop by. You know, I want to make the disclaimer for the audience that the the r mu US is a big bet on your code base, right, and so we take very seriously that if you structure your code base around Joyce, that that you're taking a bet. And we really do respect and appreciate that. But yeah, but would love to have anybody kick the tires and point us out. You know, AJ, you've found a few things in the docks that could probably be for stuff. Would love to have you know, any issues around those things to help you on boarding process or things that we're missing. Would really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Cool, Well, let's go ahead and do our picks now.
Speaker 1: It sounds like you may have listened to an episode of the show, so you probably know what picks are.
Speaker 2: Just for anyone who's new.
Speaker 1: I haven't said this in a while, but picks are basically shout outs about anything.
Speaker 2: So I usually do board games.
Speaker 1: We've had other people on Ruby Rogues we had picks and they you know, one guy did beer picks every week.
Speaker 2: You know, people pick TV shows.
Speaker 1: People pick tech stuff too, right, I mean this is a technical show.
Speaker 2: We've had people.
Speaker 1: Pick political candidates, though I'm not jazzed about that all the time because people have feels about that, right, and that's not really what we're about. But if you care about it, you can say it. So anyway, let's go ahead and start with Steve and then we'll work our way through the panel.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Steven.
Speaker 5: First of all, i'd like to point out I appreciate that you spell your first in the correct way, not with ian.
Speaker 6: Sure.
Speaker 4: I meant to note that at the beginning.
Speaker 2: Uh, back for my brother about eight times.
Speaker 5: What's funny is and I think I might have mentioned this before. I have a brother named Steven. He spelled it with a V. He's adopted, uh, and so he was already named that one my parents adopted. So we're big Stephen, little Steve or I prefer handsome Steve, not so handsome Steve.
Speaker 4: You know, it just depends on text.
Speaker 5: But anyway, in regards to two picks, my picks are generally the highlight of any episode in there my dad jokes of the week, So be prepared to laugh yourself silly, just kidding, all right. So, for instance, I asked my wife, being a she's a rather non technical person, shall we say, I asked her why her password was spelled out snow white and the seven dwarves, And she said, I was told it had it to be at least eight characters.
Speaker 3: You got it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was better than most of the ones he comes up with.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was.
Speaker 5: I was sitting in traffic the other day and that's probably why I got run over. Right. And then question of the week. If dentists make their money off of people with bad teeth, why should I trust a toothpaste that nine out of ten dentists recommend.
Speaker 4: It's all about self interest?
Speaker 3: You know, got them?
Speaker 2: I think that's a fair kafiat.
Speaker 4: No, it was like I give you have you anyway?
Speaker 3: I think not out of ten dentists recommend all of the toothpastes.
Speaker 4: Right, just Anny, please use something. Those are my picks.
Speaker 2: Nine out of ten dentists that we paid to say. So anyway, is the asterisk?
Speaker 3: All right? So since we're on this topic of SQL, I'm just gonna throw down. There's a typescript to jazz doc module that'll be linked. It's called TS hyphen two hyphen js doc. It's exactly what it sounds because I don't like typescript. I hate typescript. I think typescript is an abomination. You know this. I love types, and I love that the typescript checker is getting better and better at being able to interpret JavaScript in JavaScript types, and I hope that that goes forward. I'd love to see one day where you know, maybe collectively we can just all drop typescript because the typescript checker is so good at JavaScript types that you don't even need to annotate anymore. It just gets it. That would be Amazing's that's like zig level. The other thing is there's a module called my sequel dump TS my SQL hyphen dump pipal t iphen ts and this will allow you, of course to dump tables out of your my SQL database and then get the typescript of them, and then you can run the typescript to jes doc to get the jas dock of them, and then you can start to you can start to make your code better in the sense of being able to have type checking, you know, misspellings checked, et cetera, and add to them. Yeah, I don't think that you would need if you're going this route, I don't. I think joycet is solving this problem for you. If you're adopting JOYST I don't think you'd need these. But this would be in the case where you have an existing project and you're trying to get certain parts of that project in a in a better way so that you can feel safer and sleep better at night about it. Then, of course sq se SQLC like I said, it's kind of like a reverse sequel query builder because you just write the sequel and then it gives you the queries. And it's not a binding. Just to be clear, it is, well, I mean it is a binding from the perspective that it uses the sequel driver. But it's it's not it's not calling that that well, it builds, it builds out it it builds it out. It's not it's not copying well, it is copying from the file. It's not using the file you created anyway you can see what it is. But sq C I think is the smartest approach because it seems like it covers not the ninety five percent but the ninety nine point five percent in terms of as long as you don't need to do meditable manipulations, it's got your back and it's and since you have to learn SQL anyway, query builders don't alleviate your need to learn SQL. If they did, then I'd say, yeah, let's get on the query builder. But the truth of the matter is, at the end of the day, chat GPT is going to be bomb awesome at generating CQ for you, and it's going to be mediocre at best at generating queries in your query builder of choice. Well, I don't know. I haven't tried it with that specific use case in the most recent version, but my previous experience with it was it does awesome its SQL, and it's really mediocre when it comes to the SQL abstractions. So sql C is something that seems to pair really well with LMS in terms of being able to get the statistically likely correct sequel, which sl really lends itself incredibly well to statistical analysis, like that's a match made in heaven then Sloanik. Sloanik is kind of a different approach in terms of you are putting your queries inside of templates, inside of your JavaScript code, but it is it's kind of a middle ground between SQLC and a query builder in that it's doing the query building dynamically, but you are getting the type check on it. But SQL see I think, I think sql C is the real gold, but sloanik is something that's certainly an interesting option. And then you've got template blocks that are SQL tagged and so you can get highlighting and stuff like that. And then so that's the SEQL stuff that out of the way. Two other quick things, swift UI seems like amazing and the Android jetpack composed is either it's either the clone of swift ui or swift u I is the clone of that. And you know Apple likes to perfect things when it clones them and then pretend like it's the first because it's so good that you know, they knock it out of the park when they do it. But there's two talks swift UI essentials and introduction is swift u I. And if I close my eyes, what I hear is react React, React react, But when I open my eyes, what I see looks more like view and like, oh this actually, this actually looks like it would work. Because there's there's the there's the promise of react, and then there's the reality that we're all kind of familiar swift Ui seems to be both the promise and the reality of react. I'm really interested to get more into it. And then last thing, I am going to make a political pick. I Oh, Trump just makes me so ah, can we not have good choices? But then but then every time, every time I think we're the dregs where the bottom of the barrel? Can this get any worse? Then it's like he does an interview that's with people that are a different audience, because when he speaks to the general public, I'm just like, oh, please no. But then sometimes when he speaks to a specific audience, it's like, all of a sudden, he's a genius that understands how the world works. And so he gave this interview or did this presentation in Q and A with Frontline, and like everything that he said was actually intelligent, And then I had to challenge all my beliefs again. And those are my picks.
Speaker 2: What yeah.
Speaker 1: I think everybody who listens to this show on a regular basis knows that I'm heavily politically involved. I'm just not gonna comment, at least not here. I am working on some politically focused shows, and if you don't agree with my opinions and you don't want to hear.
Speaker 2: Them, don't listen to that show. I'm going to jump in with a couple of things.
Speaker 1: So I'm going to do a board game pick really quickly, and that game is what did we play last time we played Biblios. That's what we played. So if you haven't played Biblios, it's a card game. I'm gonna try and do this in less than a minute. But effectively, you have dice that are set out and it's if it's the score for getting the most books of that color and so, and then there are cards will let you change.
Speaker 2: The dice, so you can make it one higher or one lower.
Speaker 1: And then you're either capturing a card out of the cards that you drew, your picking a card that somebody else didn't want on their turn, or you're bidding on cards with gold after all the cards have been picked and so and then whoever has the most in whatever color you get those dice. Whoever has the most pips showing on the tops of their dice that they wont wins.
Speaker 2: It's more or less that simple board game. Geek rates it.
Speaker 1: I don't have it up in front of me, but it was like one point seven to eight or something like that. So it's very approachable if you're casual gamer. Fun game, probably a half hour game with four players. So I'm gonna pick biblios and then.
Speaker 2: I've got a couple of other picks. I went to my doctor a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 1: Maybe I don't talk about this as much, but I have type two diabetes and the doctor prescribed me, among other things, this it's a blood glucose monitor. Now, the ones that I've used in the past, you poke your finger, you bleed onto a little test strip, and you have to remember to do it on a regular basis, and I'm not so good at that, and so I would run into the issue where, you know, I'd show up at the doctors and he's like, have you been testing your blood sugar? My answer was always not for a few months. So he prescribed me. This system is called the Freestyle Libre three and I'm not sure if you can even see it on the camera, but I've got one. Yeah, you can kind of see it right there on my arm, so you know, yeah, it connects to my phone. And so I'm much better at checking my blood sugger because i'll you know, periodically look.
Speaker 2: And it's also it's funny. I can't remember which book it.
Speaker 1: Was, but there was a book that talked about the concept of keystone habits, and those are the habit that get you to do all of the other things right. So if you're eating right, then you have a tendency to exercise because you're thinking about your fitness more and things like that. And so this has been good for me because it's kind of a reminder. I'll check my blood sugar and then I'll remember I haven't taken my medicine yet and so anyway, so there are things like that that kind of come out of it. But anyway, it's really cool. I've had a little bit of trouble with them staying on. So last night I woke up in the middle of the night because I got an alert on my phone that said that my blood sugar was dangerously low, and so you know, I went downstairs and ate something to try and get it to go up, and then when I came back upstairs, it said that the sensor was no longer working and it was dangerously low because it had actually come out of my arm and then had gotten poked back into my arm but not all the way, and so the tissue it was testing was not right. It was given it a bad reading, so I have had some weird issues with it.
Speaker 2: I put this one on this morning right to replace it.
Speaker 1: The nice thing is, though, is that I went on the website for the company and apparently they'll replace them if they come out early, so I just requested a new one because I have to pay for my insurance doesn't cover these, and they're like twenty twenty five bucks a pop, but they last for.
Speaker 2: Like two weeks at a time. So anyway, cool stuff. I really really dig it.
Speaker 1: And then lastly, I'm just going to put in a brief plug for JavaScript Geniuses. One of the things I think really helps people level up is if you're talking to other people on a regular basis, doing things like meetups, and so I'm providing all of those. So if you join JavaScript Geniuses, you'll get access to I'm gonna start doing videos they walk you through different JavaScript themes.
Speaker 2: So maybe I'll do a video on Joyce.
Speaker 1: I don't know, it's not on my it's not on my list yet, but we'll see anyway. Yeah, yeah, so we'll get into other stuff, maybe VAT or you know, doing agentic AI or things like that. There's all kinds of stuff I want to figure out how to do with JavaScript. So we'll do that and I'll demo it, or I'll have people come on and demo it. So maybe we'll have Steve come and talk to us about or Steven come and talk to us about Joyce. Anyway, we also do accountability calls on Monday. There's a book club and we're getting into the AI book from Obi Fernandez right now. We also do a personal development book. We're doing Awaken the Giant Within by Tony Robbins. And you can come to as much or as little of this as you want, but anyway, so it's just a way of doing community based learning and then you know, giving you videos that walk through stuff. So go to JavaScript Geniuses dot com. I will have that up this afternoon and then you can go in join the vun Steven what are your picks.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well I came in without one, so I'm just gonna have one. It's a project called grow Fast g r Fast grew Fast, and it's by this guy Benji out of the UK. He also does well, Charles, you've done active record Ruby stuff sidekick right in the Ruby community. So this guy kind of has the node version of that. Graph file Worker is the name of grafile Worker is probably his main project right now. And we use the graph file worker as like our sidekick and it works great. We you know, we like it and really props to him. He's trying to go the you know, make a business out of it, right, like not chasing after VC money, but trying to do some support and upgrades and that sort of thing, which is really amazing, you know.
Speaker 2: PROPSI in uh what they did with sidekicks.
Speaker 6: So yeah, yeah, oh I would have known him had you not asked me, but yes, uh the well, so anyway you want to Benji's other projects other than graph file Worker is this graff Fast, which is really like a ground up thinking of how a GRAPHQL run time should be, so it doesn't change graph l syntax or graph col clients or are how anybody really talks to a graph ql server. But it fundamentally, like so Joyce has to when we went through all of Joyce like using promises to like fix up all of you know, all of the n plus ones that would have happened. Grapast is a really that that just like fundamentally happens with how most graph qol servers are implemented. Like when you know the Apollo in the graph qol community or in the no community, we have Apollo server and we're curious and oh, you know, there's probably two or three or four others, but they all work this really inefficient way. If you go from an author to a book to a book review, it just like it hammers, like each layer down in the graph is just call call call call call. It's just like fundamentally is as you get down in the graph, treating every single graph note as its own call. And this grast thing just like really flips it on its head. And even as you go down the graph, it's it's making one call for for all of the nodes that you're processing. So I think it has a really great opportunity to undo a lot of the performance sort of like hideousness that most graph q al things either have to just you know, back INDs, either have to just deal with or patch around, which is what we did and Joyce and yeah, it's still super small projects and I need to spend more time with it, but that is my pick. I think it's pretty neat.
Speaker 2: Awesome.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: Well, if people want to connect with you, where where do they find you? Yeah?
Speaker 6: Sure, you know the joysto or m dot I ow, I do have a blog that I need to get to. It's I'm a little bit embarrassed about the name. It's draconianoverlord dot com. But I picked it a long time ago. I love it when I was younger and a little more idealistic.
Speaker 3: Maybe not idealistic, but Draconian Overlord is idealistic.
Speaker 6: Yeah right, Yeah there was a uh but uh.
Speaker 2: Aspirational depend to what your ideals are.
Speaker 6: Yeah right. But also the domain name was available, like I thought of it fifteen years ago, and it's like holy domain name is available. So anyway, that's my blog.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 6: And you know, a lot of the writing is kind of older for my earlier jaa you know Java sort of heyday back in the day. But yeah, I need to post more stuff there if anybody wants to go by, but Joyce would be the main place, you know. I love to have anybody drop by and say Hi, all.
Speaker 2: Right, cool.
Speaker 3: And I do want to say I like the philosophy of Joyce. I want to I just I just want to make it clear because I'm the naysayer out of the group, Like I'm the one who's always like skeptic. I don't believe it's gonna work. Why would anybody want to use this? And I like the philosophy. You really got me when you said, well, if you need the fancy stuff that's the five percent, like, just go do the sequel that that's that that you're gonna focus on. Just be the good. Just be good at the stuff that is the simple that people need the most, and not try to cater towards the stuff where people really should Just go do the sequel. That philosophy makes me believe that this is going to have and hopefully an eternal advantage over a lot of the other ones where they try to give you these like halfway kind of things. So that that's the main point. But it looks, it looks good, and like I said, ILike it looks obvious. It looks like, well, doesn't take a genius to figure this out. It did, but it's you know, when you look at it, sure it looks it looks obvious.
Speaker 6: Yeah, no, I appreciate it. I mean that's high praise for the looking obvious is totally the goal, that's what we're after, So I really appreciate that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, by the way, it was Mike Perham, that is the psych chic guy.
Speaker 6: Actually, I don't think I could have told you that. I had completely forgotten this mea but yes, yeah, that sounds right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've had him on Ruby Road because he's a truer guy.
Speaker 1: Anyway, let's go ahead and wrap it up until next time, folks max out.
Speaker 5: Mm hmm