Speaker 1: That's right, five o'clock hour here on a beautiful Wednesday afternoon. Appreciate you hanging out with us. A lot of things you could be doing right now, and I'm not giving you an invitation and go do something else. But if you're listening, thank you. And really, no matter where you're listening, if you're listening live, if you're listening on the podcast, we appreciate you. And again, as you know, we are fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety and I uh, I mean, this is one of those days where I always appreciate being able to do this right. Like I'm a very, very lucky guy, and I always try to keep that in mind. But this is one of those days where I wish I would have been smart and said, Nick, you should take off this day. I've got a lot of vacation. I've been here long enough to where they take care of me. It's one of the perks of the job I get. I'm in here nine years now to where I get plenty of vacation. In fact, sometimes I find myself in the holiday months thinking, Okay, I gotta use these, use them or lose them, essentially, so you know, I should have taken some of these days off. Then again, like it's kind of you know, this is the best day to be doing the job talking about basketball that's going on NonStop and that's where we are, and it's uh, it's certainly a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: All right, joining us to talk some hoops.
Speaker 1: As a man who is currently traveling to Charlotte, North Carolina for the a SEC Tournament, he is mister Kent Spencer from w h A S eleven, Kent.
Speaker 2: How are we doing, brother?
Speaker 3: We are.
Speaker 4: We are in West Virginia past Charleston. Haven't made it to the to the state of North Carolina yet, but Nick, we're at route.
Speaker 3: That's all we can say.
Speaker 2: Well, I uh that it's not a bad drive. Well, like seven and a half hours roughly?
Speaker 3: Is that? Is that?
Speaker 2: Give or take? Is that roughly what it takes to get there?
Speaker 4: Normally we've had some great spots where we've been stuck in traffic to the point where people are getting out of their cars.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: And let me tell you something that's not great. No, it's not a one time and one.
Speaker 4: Time we were stuck next to a tractor trailer full of cows and they didn't spell and they didn't smell awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's not ideal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we were there for about twenty minutes. Was pretty sweet.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's uh, I mean, are surely you're not alone?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: No, you got your team with you, right, Okay?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 1: That helps break up the time whenever you know, you're just sitting there in traffic, knowing you still have hours ahead of you, and then you you know, unexpectedly have to stop for thirty minutes or whatever it may be. So stay safe and uh, you know, I'm sure you guys will get there without any issue. And you know, the ACC tournament just actual let's let's stit pause real quick, cause we'll get to the ACC's tournament the SEC tournament as well. I do want to get your thoughts on coach Davenport, Scott Davenport deciding earlier this week that he's gonna he's gonna step down and retire his son, Doug's gonna take over. I don't know anybody listening right now that is not familiar with Scott Davenport and really what he means to the city of Louisville and really just his impact on the basketball community. Just your your thoughts, on coach Davenport and your time covering Bellerman. Obviously a lot of success during that run and a lot of I mean a lot of steps. They take it up on the ladder there, right, jumping from Division two to Division one. And one thing that I really wanted to emphasize to folks earlier this week can was that those that look at the last couple of years and now Scotty retiring, I really hope that that people don't just have this memory of, well, it just wasn't meant to be at the D one level. When they first made the jump, they were a national story because they were winning so early and everybody realized what a stupid rule was in place that they couldn't make the NCAA tournament despite winning their league. So just your thoughts on coach Davenport, obviously a hell of a career.
Speaker 3: Well, let me tackle that last thing first, Nick.
Speaker 4: I thought at the time when they made the jump and then obviously they won the twenty twenty two A Son Tournament and couldn't go to the NCAA tournament or any postseason, I thought it was I thought it was like, Okay, this is the right time. The iron's hot they're ready to make this move, it's a good time to strike.
Speaker 3: It turned out, and this is just pure bad luck.
Speaker 4: It was the worst time to make that move because when they made the move, NIL wasn't a thing.
Speaker 3: The transfer for portal wasn't a thing. Now it became a thing.
Speaker 4: And then guys like you know, like after that a Son tournament title, a guy like Dylan Penn who would never have had the opportunity to go play with the NC DOUBLEA tournament if he stayed at Bellaman. He transfers in the transfer portal, goes to Vermont and gets to play in the NC DOUAA tournament and was I think the conference player of the year that year in that in that conference. And then so if Bellaman coaches up a guy and he's and he's playing, well, of.
Speaker 3: Course somebody's gonna come and get that player.
Speaker 4: They have a way to stop it because they don't have the post. By the way, you can't recruit to a postseason. It's really really hard to recruit to your program because everybody wants to live that dream. And the NIL came, you know, came around. So if you were good and you could get cash, then you were bouncing programs, which is what has happened to him the last few years, which is why they I in my opinion, why they ended up being in the predicament. They didn't see the transfer portal coming. You didn't see anil coming. It was just a horrible time, it turns out to make that jump. And now it kind of they got to get, you know, a good foundation under their feet and start building.
Speaker 3: This thing again.
Speaker 4: But look, I have loved covering Scotty Davenport over the time that i've I've been in the city of LOUISVA. Love love getting to know him. You know, I'm a I'm a fan. I love the way that he goes about his business. And you know, I talked to him a couple of days ago and and the big thing was is I you know, I kind of thought like the time was coming. I just didn't think it was gonna be after this year. And he just said, look, this is about Doug. Doug's ready.
Speaker 3: Doug's ready for this. And you know, I asked Doug yesterday. I had a chance to talk to him yesterday and just you know, hey, do you feel ready for this?
Speaker 4: Because you know, Nick, if you're around the program, you know, I've seen Doug in the low career running film sessions. I've seen him run practice. I see how involved he is during games. He said, you know absolutely, I feel like I'm ready for this. We're going to continue the culture that my dad started and got in place here, and that's how we're going to be successful. So it'll be interested to see Doug Davenport's who's dreamed of being a head coach that he was fourteen years old, worked under Chris Mack, worked under Rick Petito, did his opportunity.
Speaker 1: Whenever I was a young kid in elementary school, I remember going to the Louisville basketball camp and at that time Denny Denny was fishing already, he was no longer running his own camps, but the legend Scott Davenport was running those camps. Of course, he had joined Denny staff and obviously had a legendary career as a coach at Ballard High School. And Doug and I are the same age. I remember, you know, that's when I first that was my first introduction to Scott Davenport. I remember thinking, man, I don't know where you know, I'm going to play for this guy. This guy's awesome. Just such a such a great leader, such a great spirit. It's so infectious. I mean, I know you're an athlete as well, Kent, and like, isn't he somebody that you just feel like, Man, I'd love to play for that guy, whatever the sport is. He's somebody that I feel like a lot of Louisvillions that maybe didn't even play sports, they've gotten to know him over the years. He's such a big part of our community. Like he's kind of Louisville's coach. And I don't mean the Cardinals. I just mean the city of Louisville. And I know there's many people listening they would agree with that.
Speaker 4: Well, and think about this, Nick, I mean, like there's not a single person that doesn't most people, let me say this, most people love where they were born and raised.
Speaker 3: They love where they they they love where they grew up.
Speaker 4: And then you meet certain people that they take that love to a place.
Speaker 3: That you can't even imagine.
Speaker 4: Yes, sir, you know Scotty's Scotty is one of those people that man like he loves Louisville like more than so many, you know, like his love for his hometown, Like it's it's hard to quantify how.
Speaker 3: He loves this place. And yes, would I have loved to.
Speaker 4: Play for him, absolutely, because.
Speaker 3: Here's why, Dick.
Speaker 4: He will absolutely coach you up. He will jump your behind and seven seconds later he'll patch you on the butt and say, you know I love you right like because you know, you know the coaching has a purpose. He's not just doing it because he likes to yell. He's doing it because he's gonna coach you hard, but he's gonna love you hard.
Speaker 3: And those are the people that I respect more than anything.
Speaker 1: Totally agree. Could not have said it better. Ken Spencer's our guest joining us here on Sports Talk seven ninety. So I guess I'll start with with Louisville. They finish strong, didn't have but just two losses in the acc obviously one to a really good duke team. The other was just to slip up against the Georgia Tech team. I mean, going into this tournament because of their double bye, they will only need to win three in order to win the whole thing. Easier said than done, because once they get past whoever it is tomorrow, which they could lose that game if they don't play well, then they've got opportunities to take on Clemson in Carolina or Clemsorry, Clemson and Duke. If this thing goes chalk, it's really been unknown because Louisville hasn't played Duke in a long time. Louiville and play Clemson in you know, nearly as long. I mean it was early January when that game took place. How I mean, where do you feel like Louisville.
Speaker 2: Is right now?
Speaker 1: I mean, I think to see them win this whole thing may be a little far fetched, but I mean the Clemson game for me, is gonna be the real test because I think Clemson's gotten better since Louisville played them. And it's just an unusual feeling with this tournament right because there's there's only three teams for sure that you know that are going to make the NCAA Tournament that are in this I'm not even really sure if there's enough value out there when it comes to winning and moving on in this tournament to get some of these bubble teams in maybe Carolina they look good earlier today, but I just I don't know Louisville. I feel like there's not a whole lot of room for them to drop as far as the potential seed, and I'm not really sure how much higher they can climb. Obviously, if they were to knock off Duke, that would be big. But just kind of your thoughts on Louisville as they enter the first ever postseason era here of the Pat Kelsey era.
Speaker 4: You know, is it crazy to say this, Nick that if they get matched up with clubs in the semi finals on Friday, that's a game probably for a five seed. Yeah, I don't think I don't think that's crazy to say, you know, obviously, yeah that that the game against Clemson was a long time ago.
Speaker 3: It was at the.
Speaker 4: KFC Young Center, But like, if you can go and you can beat that Clemson team.
Speaker 3: On a neutral court.
Speaker 4: In the ACC Tournament, like that right there, I think speaks volumes for how far this team has grown since let's say the Eastern Kentucky game where they had to kind of squeak one out and then it feels like they really started to go on their run after that, after that EKU game. So yeah, that's what I'm excited to see. Like, I'm excited to see, Okay, this is a neutral court, let's see what they what they looked like Thursday night, and then I would love to see Louisville get paired up against UH Clemson and if they can they could get past that.
Speaker 3: Obviously, you know who's waiting in the championship game. So yeah, I think.
Speaker 4: Louisville is a good team, but I'm I'm ready to see it again. Sure, you know some of the best of the best of the ACC.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, look at it's it's not a criticism, it's not. It doesn't even really, it's just the unknown Louisville winning. That's all they can do, right, They got to play who's on the schedule, and a lot of these games they've won, and it really wasn't close.
Speaker 2: But it's just it's just a wild thought of.
Speaker 1: Being in a conference like the ACC and knowing that whoever you get in that first round game, if you're anywhere between a six and an eight, I feel like there's a good chance that There's really no way to know this for sure, but I wouldn't be shocked if whoever you get in that first round game, if you're a six, seven, or eight, it's probably gonna be better that everybody you've played since January other than Clemson. Now again, if you get Duke, then that that changes it, obviously, but it's just I don't know's it's as a fan myself, I'm not really complaining because you know, Louisville being here in this position is just wild considering where they were the last couple of years.
Speaker 2: But hear me out on this.
Speaker 1: I want to know if you think I'm crazy because nobody wants to play Duke right now. I wouldn't think now there's an opportunity there if you get a win, to really to improve your resume. But I'm not I'm not saying bring bring on Duke, We'll take them down, because you know, I think they're really really loaded. But I also like the thought of even if you do get beat I guess it could be demoralizing if it's like a really bad beat down. But I think getting, you know, playing a team that good right before you get to the NC DOUBLEA tournament, knowing that January and February and in a lot of March weren't you weren't going up against great teams, I think there could be some value to play one of the best in the country before you get to win or go home.
Speaker 4: I think I think it's important for Louisville to play and I agree with you, like, like, I think it's important this week for Louisville to play against you know, a good team and get tested.
Speaker 3: Yeah, battle test and be like okay, so that's what that's where we got to get to or this is where we need to be.
Speaker 4: And this is a good thing heading into the NC DOUBLEA tournament, right like this is who these are the kind of teams that we're gonna face heading into the NC Double A tournament. No, I think it's a I think it's a great thing, and I think it's it's need.
Speaker 3: It because I mean, like, like.
Speaker 4: What is it like twenty to twenty one now or whatever the record is? You know that they that they've won in the ACC. Think about this, Look look.
Speaker 3: At their record.
Speaker 4: Look how many games that they've won. And we're talking about them being a six to an eight.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, a lot of people have them as an eight.
Speaker 3: Now, yeah that's because of what the acs like.
Speaker 4: They're winning all these games, but they're not getting any value for them because they're they're quad three or quad four, you know, like what are we talking about here? So that's why I do think it's important for them to play against the Clemson and and test yourself.
Speaker 3: Out win or losing that game.
Speaker 4: I think it helps you massively going up into the NCAA.
Speaker 2: Tournament, no doubt about it.
Speaker 1: And you know, I think Louisvill's really just staying stagnant because again they're not doing anything to really hurt themselves, but they're not really jumping up. And then others you look at the SEC and the Big Ten, even the Big twelve, you got some teams they could stack some huge wins for the resume, not to get you know, a one or two, but at least just you know, like they could jump ahead of Louisville just with a couple of games. And it's not because Old did anything wrong. It's just they've been really at a standstill when it comes to their resume really where there's not been a whole lot to gain, and honestly, there's been a lot to lose. Fortunately they've not they've not put themselves in that spot to where they've you know, they've they've let one slip away that really crushed them. But yeah, just an unusual year for the ACC And that's the nice way of saying. It was just a really, really really bad year for the league. Let's pitch gears to Kentucky. I mean, I think they cannot do any worse than a four. I think they're a three, and I'd be shocked if on Sunday they're not on the three line, because I think the team slotted one and two in the Big in the Big Dances, I think those are pretty much locked in, and I'm not sure what could happen to where those those teams would fall. But then in Kentucky, you know, they've got more losses than a lot of teams in the top ten, but they also have an insane amount of really really good wins. And I'm not saying it's gonna happen, but if they if they were to get past Oklahoma or Georgia and then beat Bama, who's going to be shocked. It's going to be in Nashville. I mean, in fact, I kind of expect them to win that game at that point. Can't They will have si wins against the top ten teams in the net rankings despite having as many losses as they have, Like, do you think they could jump ahead of a team that's on the one and two? I mean, we're talking about the SEC teams that, of course did finish ahead of Kentucky. You've got Houston, Michigan State.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I feel like the three is most likely for Kentucky, but if they were to win two, maybe three games in the SEC, I can't fault the committee if they bump them up to it two, because again, they have way more valuable wins than I think a lot of people realize.
Speaker 4: And Nick, I mean just honestly like the way because because so many things can shake out in these conference tournaments, somebody can you know, take an early loss whatever and lose. But I think if they win two games, I think there's a decent chance they end up at two.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I and and I agree with you, like right now, like just judge them by what you see.
Speaker 4: I mean, it seems like they're pretty much a lock for a three and unless you know, maybe they get upset Thursday night or whatever and that.
Speaker 3: Moves them down to a four.
Speaker 4: But right now, the feeling is because of the wins that they have and what is it, eight top fifteen wins.
Speaker 3: Or something like that, like it's insane, and.
Speaker 4: They because they have that, they feel like a lock for a three. But I think if they beat Alabama, Like if they get Alabama and they beat Alabama on Friday, if they make it that far, like it's it's not crazy to think they end up on the two.
Speaker 1: Lines, not at all. I mean, think about this. They've got as we as it stands. And again, I know people mentioned ranked wins as far as the AP poll, and that matters as well as far as just you know, those teams are usually pretty good. But when it comes to the NCAA's own metrics, the net rankings, they have four wins currently against the top five teams because they beat Duke, which is the best team out there. As far as the net, they have a win against Florida. They have two wins against Tennessee, who's number five. Florida's number four, by the way, Alabama's sitting there at number six. If they get that in which again I kind of feel like they're going to just you know, they could easily lose.
Speaker 2: Bama's really good.
Speaker 1: But also I think Kentucky fans are going to show out and they near beat him in Tuscaloosa when they well I guess it got away from a little bit later. But nonetheless, like if they end up getting that Bama went. I can't really fault the committee off they put him on the two line, because again, you won't find anybody that has that many that many really good wins and all their losses. To be honest, none of them are bad. I mean even even Arkansas, who looked it felt like a bad loss at the time. They're they're looking like they're going to be in the tournament. But real quick, a couple more I want to get to before we run out of time here, I'll stick with Kentucky. Then I'll throw it back to Louisville with the same kind of question. And this is a very you know, cliche kind of question, but forgive me, who who do you feel like for Kentucky, Like if you get to I don't know if they get to the Elite eight, And I guess it all depends on matchups that kind of stuff, like who's the most important guy for them?
Speaker 2: Because I think both.
Speaker 1: These teams are kind of similar to where they've got a good collection of guys that that you know, have been solid all throughout, but if you had one guy you feel like, hey, they need him to be at nearly his best in order for this team to make a deep, deep run.
Speaker 2: Who do you think it would be for Kentucky?
Speaker 4: Honestly, Like, it's probably changed throughout the course of the of the season, But I honestly like my guy and and and and this is so let me say this, let me preface it by saying this. This is for everybody that would you know from if you're on the roster right now and you're playing, you're going to stay healthy the rest of the year.
Speaker 3: Samari Williams, for.
Speaker 4: Me, like, if you watch them when he's in the game, they're a completely different team than when he's not. And I'm talking about on both ends of the floor more more so defensively, they're a much better defensive team. And I think that's a huge key for them when he's on the floor. Lot Like it drops off considerable when he's not in the game. So he's got to be playing well and he's got to be able to stay out of foul trouble.
Speaker 3: I think that that.
Speaker 4: Guy in the latter part of the season has just taken his game to another to another level. And then I would say like their X factor is Colin Chandler because without Jack Robinson, he's playing a lot better and he does things on both ends of the floor, and he's looking pretty comfortable.
Speaker 3: When it when it comes he's.
Speaker 4: Actually, in my opinion, I think he's looking pretty comfortable when it comes on the offensive end. Right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can see why he was a former top fifty recruit, and you can see that now. You know, might have taken him a little longer than than others to get acclimitted because you know, he took two years off.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, it didn't. He didn't play basketball.
Speaker 4: So I mean, like, you know, I think his defense came a lot, a lot quicker. But you're saying, hey, take take two years off, then start playing basketball again, and oh, by the way, play it at Kentucky, and then play it in the toughest conference that we've seen since the nineties.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's uh, the SEC. The SEC Tournament is going to be as I mean, it's gonna be more challenging probably than the NAA turna. But it's one of those things people say from time to time, and usually it's a little hyperbole. I'm not sure it is this go around, just because of how how loaded that league is. Right on the Louisville side, I don't I mean, I It's kind of a tough question to answer, but I'll give you the opportunity to do so, because I feel like they've got really a core of guys.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, I mean honestly, like I I feel like in my opinion, and if you disagree that, that's fine, Like I feel like they've got a core of four like that, Like these four are the.
Speaker 3: Ones who are going to lead the way.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna say Chucky above all, just because man, he's he's just so good and I think the rest of his teammates can be quite honest with you have feed off of him. And then of course the other the other three obviously are Terrence Edwards Badly and Rain Smith and that guy with with uh with the with the ankle right now, Like he's the X factor for me, like because when he's on the floor, Nick, you just you can't come off of him. It just opens every live a game, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Like that, It's just they need him on the floor a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he understands spacing.
Speaker 1: He's clearly a lights out shooter, but he's one of those guys that, to your point, you just have to account for him at all times. And that changes how you're defending Louisville. But also, I mean it's more of a surprise if you get through a game where he's healthy and played thirty plus minutes and there wasn't a moment where he single handedly kind of flip things because he can just get hot and score nine or twelve and you know, in a segment. So yeah, I hope his ankle's okay, because you obviously he's he's a guy. I mean, I feel like they could still win some games without him. But obviously, just knowing you have a weapon like that, you want to be at full strength. Whenever you know it gets to be this late in the year, win or go home. So can't I appreciate your time as always, safe travels. Hopefully you guys don't have any more traffic. Enjoy your time in Charlotte and we will talk soon.
Speaker 4: Brother.
Speaker 3: Hey, hey, Bubba, take off a day.
Speaker 4: You deserve the year, take off a day.
Speaker 2: Oh well, thank you appreciate that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I need to just just to sit on the recliner and watch college basketball and enjoy it and cherish it because it'll be over sooner than later. But you know, I'm a company man. It's Coffee and Company. I mean, they can't keep me out of this place, all right, quick break? Hope you could sense the sarcasm there. We'll keep it rolling along. Stick around Coffee and Company. Feel abou Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety our will get shit. Other update on the scores from around the country right now in college basketball is we've got college basketball overload here.
Speaker 2: And I think I don't know I was gonna say.
Speaker 1: It can still be said as far as what was said yesterday that these games early on in the bigger tournaments, it usually doesn't feature many of the good teams. But and I guess that's true, like right now, in fact, just today, the only ranked team playing in a conference tournament game is Iowa State, who is number twelve. But they ended up being the five seed in the Big twelve, and they had no trouble today they won seventy six to fifty six. But in the ACC you had North Carolina, no trouble with Notre Dame. They won by twenty seventy six fifty six, and then Georgia Tech sixty six to sixty. They went over Virginia and then now he waits seven o'clock tip Cal Stanford. Winner of that, of course, is who Louis will get tomorrow, and then the night game Syracuse and an SMU, and in the SEC you've got their first day of conference play. The only game that's concluded was that Arkansas South Carolina game as Cal survives seventy two to sixty eight, which we haven't played the sound We probably don't need to today. But Cal's still doing Cal things, just saying outlandish things that everybody knows as nonsense, but you know, it's just him being him. It would be wild, though, if he wins the SEC tournament. It's not gonna happen, but somebody do it out there earlier, just how funny would be because he's never been good in the SEC tournament at least well he has, but not in a long time. And he clearly has never really even embraced playing in the SEC tournament. And now they don't need it to get in, but man, they can. It's certainly changed their situation if they pick up some wins along the way, because obviously, you know.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of there's a lot of value, all right.
Speaker 1: So currently seven minutes left, Texas sixty five to forty eight over Vanderbilt.
Speaker 2: That would be an upset.
Speaker 1: I don't think that puts Vandy in fact, what that does is probably puts Vandy more so in a in a vulnerable spot to maybe maybe miss out if there's like bid stealers and Texas. I don't mean you can't put Texas in the tournament, and I don't think they're going to. But I mean Texas is seventeen and fourteen and they went six and twelve. I just as good as the SEC is. I just don't know how you could put Texas in and I don't and again I don't think they're going to. Our next game in the SEC's LSU in Mississippi State at seven o'clock, and then tonight Oklahoma Georgia. The winner of that one, of course, is who Kentucky will play. And then in the Big Ten tournament, they they had, yeah, they've only had one game that was earlier today, that was Northwestern getting by Minnesota seven two to sixty four. And then they've got Iowa, Ohio State six o'clock and then tonight at eight thirty USC and a Rutgers. All right, so a lot to get to and not a lot of time left here. So I do want to just touch on the Junior Bridgeman situation. We did talk about it obviously in three o'clock hour, but I'm sure we have a different audience at this point. Just sad news to lose a man that was so successful, so impactful in this community and really everywhere. I mean a lot of people around here know Junior Bridgeman for being a guy who went from being an NBA player to being one of the most successful businessmen ever. I mean, he turned his NBA salary into a level of wealth that most people walking this planet will never know. He's a billionaire, right, So Louisville fans, people you know that are louavillions, they know his connection here and they you know they, I mean Louisville fans specifically, I mean always bragging on this guy. Yeah, he's great, He's one of our own. Played here, was a final playing in the Final four with Denny Crumb's seventy five team. Was the two time Conference Player of the Year. Was drafted by the Bucks. Has his number retired with the Bucks? I mean, I don't need to give you guys the full resume as far as an athlete, but obviously what makes him different is that he's mostly known more so for business than anything else. And to know that, you know, he was such a philanthropist and did so much to give back to people. And one thing that I had heard this before, and somebody in the text line shared a good story earlier about Junior to where he's someone that it would really surprise you when it comes to his level of wealth, that when he does give back and he's charitable, which he has been and was for a long long time in a major way. He wanted to know sort of what the cause was, right. It wasn't just hey, I've got so much money, I won't notice a couple million missing, so go give it to somebody in need. He wanted to have that connection and wanted to help people, and he certainly did that and he helped a lot of This is I think the best way to kind of put in perspective Junior's impact globally, right. I mean, he is someone that just is the best story you'll find as far as an NBA player utilizing basketball and getting the most out of what you can get as a basketball player, certainly at that time when he played and using that and again creating generational wealth for yourself as a businessman. So when it comes to guys in the NBA and really professional athletes overall, they think that it's awesome that this guy took his NBA salary at the time, never made more than three hundred grand a year in the NBA. Of course, it was a different time, and he was smart with his money. Clearly was a very wise man when it comes to how to utilize money that kind of stuff, invested in the right companies, and just super successful in every way. And these NBA players they look up to him, not only as a basketball player, but they're like, wow, you know, I've made more money than this guy. If I could, even if I could learn from him and become a better businessman and really understand how to create generational wealth. I mean that, you know, it's it's it's been insane to see in the last twenty four hours the amount of former NBA players, current NBA players, just celebrities in general. I mean, even Magic Johnson, who's an all time great. I mean, his his heartfelt message last night about Junior Bridgeman was awesome. But Junior Bridgeman is probably one of your favorite basketball players ever. He's probably the role model of those players that you idolized. I mean, maybe I'm reaching a little bit here, but think about it. I mean, this is somebody who again had a hell of a career as an NBA player and then he became, you know, this super successful businessman.
Speaker 2: And there's a.
Speaker 1: Lot of guys in the NBA that I feel like have had conversations with Junior over the years, just because of the camaraderie in the NBA. He was the president of the Players Association for many years when he was in the NBA, and you know, they know they can learn from him, for they look to him for guidance, and he clearly made a big impact on a lot of people and very sad so thoughts with his family and his louisll basketball family as well. Seventy one years old and just a really sad way to I mean, he went out doing something that he was clearly passionate about, and that was, you know, being a part of events and being a part of different foundations and helping them raise funds and raise awareness for whatever cause it is that they're focused on. So and one thing I wanted to say really quickly, and I hope he won't hope he doesn't mind, because I mean, I hope he wouldn't mind. But Kent Taylor, I mean, Kent was interviewing Junior yesterday in front of hundreds of people at the Gold House for this event. It was the forty fifth Annual Leadership Luncheon. And I mean, I'm sure he's not going to and many probably aren't thinking about Kent because he's Okay, he didn't lose his life. Junior Bridgeman did. But like that's a traumatic thing for Kent to go through that a lot of people probably don't even process or think about out.
Speaker 2: But I mean, I.
Speaker 1: I that that that cannot be something that is just going to be easy to forget. I mean that can have a I mean that can have a a very very strong impact on you in a in a negative way. Obviously, you know, there's nothing he gets me to give. That's just not something that typically happens to where you're hosting an event, you're working with somebody and they just have a heart attack and die right in front of you. I mean, that's that's that's a that's an awful thing. Uh And and certainly thought some prayers to everybody close to Junior but I've learned about this kind of stuff in my life. You can, you can go through something traumatic and be a survivor and be somebody that is very fortunate compared to others that that you know didn't have the same fortune you did. They maybe they lost their life, maybe they you know, so you you develop, you develop something to where you you're so appreciative of the fact that, like, wow, life is so precious. I can't believe here I am talking to this person and then they they have a heart attack and die. I should really value life. I'm very lucky that I have what I have and be gone in a moment, because that's just how precious life is. Like, that's I think how you normally as a human would process that. But which you don't process that can really hurt you is that you went through something traumatic and you've got to deal with that on your own, not to turn into doctor phil today. But like, I don't know if people have even thought about it that Kent Taylor was interviewing somebody and right in front of him he I mean, that's just not something that people normally deal with, and it's probably something pretty heavy for Kent. So Kent's a great guy, and I hope he's doing well. All things considered, that's got to be a rough and very memorable day for him for you know, not good reasons.
Speaker 2: That's a sad situation. So all right, last break, we'll come back on the other side.
Speaker 1: Put the finishing touches on a Wednesday edition of Coffee and Company Again. We're piled abou Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety