Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Batflips and Nerds, the baseball podcast with a British twist. I am your host this week John McGee and joining me are two of the finest baseball minds on this part side of the pond. Mister Russell Eason, how are you.
Speaker 2: I'm doing good, John, I'm doing good. Baseball season is well and truly into its works. We've had the start of the baseball season in the UK as well, so it's perfect for it to start rating now. Is that nobody else can play baseball for a while? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, how's your How's it going?
Speaker 3: How?
Speaker 1: How how's how's how's that going? Have you got a torpedo back yet?
Speaker 2: No, I'm literally going out to the States in a few days and basically half of my team have been like by a torpedo bat by a torpedo bat, bio torpedo bat. So there may be one coming back if I find one that is reasonably priced in some sort of a store in California, which is probably not actually that likely because it's California, but who knows.
Speaker 1: Well, that'll be the last that you hear about that story, because Rob Naveria, you really don't want to talk about torpedo bats and neither do I. Well, you got it out of your system last time, didn't you.
Speaker 3: Get it out of my system? It was never that far into my system, As I'd like to clearly point out.
Speaker 1: Please, can we stop talking about these bloody, infernal bats. You can tell it's the start of the season. Just shut up. Stop. Every single Instagram post does not need to be about these flipping bats. Stop it, rob right.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, Yeah, I'm all over Instagram obviously. Yes, no, well, you know, we just need something else toly.
Speaker 1: To talk about it.
Speaker 3: I'm sure we'll come acrossing couple of those today. There's plenty of silliness.
Speaker 1: Yes, indeed, there's plenty of silliness. But before we get into the silliness, we must point out that we are recording this on the fifteenth of April twenty twenty five. It is Jackie Robinson Day, so we must remark on the brilliant life and career of one of the great sportsman of all time. Everyone will be wearing forty two today and that we are wearing it in spirit. But it would be remiss of us not to tackle the elephant in the room around this. Jackie Robinson Day, because unfortunately, it feels a little different to some of the others that we've seen through in the past. So I would urge you to go and read a brilliant piece by friend of the podcast Jake Mints of the Suspendies Barbecue at Yahoo's Sports on this topic. It is incredibly erudite and incredibly thoughtful, and you will forgive me for a moment for sharing some of Jake's original thoughts so which you know I happen to share. It doesn't seem like the sport of baseball is embodying the spirit of the man of Jackie Robinson, merely celebrating his existence. This year. You can't talk about Jackie Robinson and ignore the fact that Major League Baseball appears to have removed references to diverse equality and inclusion from its website. You can't talk about Jackie Robinson this year without pointing out the fact that his team, the Dodgers, the LA Dodgers, he was a, of course, a Brooklyn Dodger, visited the White House, as is their wish when they are the champions of Major League Baseball, having won the twenty twenty four World Series, and all of them to a man shook hands with a president who is, if I'm being kind, incredibly divisive, if I'm being factual, sending people to a country far away from where they were born, where they are settled, and where their family life is for no reason incorrectly and not returning these people home. The Dodgers felt like that was okay. This is the club of Jackie Robinson, and to say that that's a shame, I think is the understatement of the century. Jackie Robinson is one of the most important people in the history of the world. He changed the course of American life for the better when he broke the color barrier in the nineteen fifties. Major League Baseball had an opportunity right now to make a stand for the millions of people in their country who think that's important, not just people of color, but people who think that the just way and the right way is the way to live their life. And it's what's sport embodies, and it's what Jackie Robinson embodied. It just feels like it's a shame that in pursuit of capital, in pursuit of political advantage, and in pursuit of whatever the hell they think is to their advantage the sport, the owners, and unfortunately many of its greatest players have turned away from that ideal. Let's talk about some fun stuff.
Speaker 3: He's going to take us into the next bit transition there.
Speaker 1: Well, it's hard. Sure we talk about I don't know where do we go after that? It still feels quite early to be talking about where the clubs are good. I know you Robin and Ben and Darius did a really good job of picking the bones out of the early season a couple of weeks ago. But it does feel like there's a bit of a pan now nowhere more so than in our two favorite divisions, the two central divisions, the NLNA L Central, where it's pretty clear that there are, as we anticipated, not very many good teams. Indeed, they're appear to be only two out of the ten teams who are even approaching palatable. So should we talk about well, let's talk about the.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: I'm going to ask you which do you think is worse out of these two? Rob the an L or the AL Central.
Speaker 3: Ah, you see, your gut immediately goes with AL Central. I feel, and just looking now at the stats, I think that is kind of backed up AL Central. But then yes, so okay, so like you're your best guys, You've got you've got the Tigers as your current AL Central best team and the Cubs as your current NL Central best team. And if you're saying which one of them do you think is gonna be better, you're probably saying the Cubs, So like that's your top one that's better. And then if you even look all the way down through the and you look at the bottom and you say, all right, so the worst team in the division is the White Sox or the Pirates. And again, if you're gonna pick one of those two that you get to back, it's probably gonna be the Pirates. So it's gonna be the AL Central that is the worst.
Speaker 1: Right, what do you think, Russell? It's it's a it's a pretty good argument. Most of the teams in the NL Central have actually got players that you want to watch. That cannot be said of many of the teams in the AL Central.
Speaker 2: It's like we'll come to some of it later on, might have to come up with some new bads as we're discovering it now. But like Kansas City's offense is just awful, like basically Bobby with its basically trying to do exactly the same thing as he did last year and try and carry them on his back while they have some pitching. But there's been a little to no improvement there. Yeah, obviously we joke out early and the season is it used to be. Hey, when Mike Trout's the top of the Phantografts War leader board or whatever, you know, it's about time to start looking at stats. And I joke now that basically it's when judges are top of the the fangers leaderboards, you start to look at what the stats to me now and we're there. It's probably still a little bit early, but it's not been good. Like I've watched Cleveland versus Kansas now five times, no, or four times? Yeah, no, five times, and it's not None of those games have been like set alight by world class hitting. So there's real fear of those teams both just really struggling to kind of get out of any sort of kind of level of mediocrity. I haven't seen the Twins too much, but just once again, it's just a lot of kind of like its injury upon injury upon injury on that team that just never works it out, and the are bad and Detroit maybe doing what Cleveland have done for probably most of the last five or six years, which is basically win by default, and like that gets you the division he gets through. Like the other side, I think it's what said, the Cubs are definitely a good team. Like I think we all maybe laid into the Cubs for losing that those couple of games against the Dodgers so easily at the start of the season, and we were a little bit too early on that one. But yeah, like the rest of that division, the Brewers probably had a little bit of credit bill because of how they've kind of done things in the past that you can imagine.
Speaker 1: That their pitching isn't poorly.
Speaker 2: But that's it. That's what they've been able to find and get to work. And I think Rob can maybe say as a race fan, like that can work for like six or seven seasons, but there's going to be the odd season to where it just fails completely. So I don't know if that's going to be that season. Everyone else it's just it's just such a level of mayor like there's just not things to get excited about, and that's it's just so depressing and at least the other time, I will say, like I would think the NAL Central is worth watching more. It's just because La the Cubs have actually tried to be a good team and they're being rewarded for the success. And even though the Pirates are bad, you get to watch Paul schemes, so like, there's just nothing like that on Chicago, so.
Speaker 1: Of course, right, and yeah.
Speaker 2: And Hunter Green on the Reds. Hunter Green has been absolutely phenomenal. I think he leads like Bangruft's war.
Speaker 1: But of us, some of us are saying that in our pre season preview it was not you two, Rob. Have you got any thoughts on why these divisions are so bad? Like why are they not trying? Obviously we've got some traditional quote unquote small market teams and you know, the Pirates, the Brewers, they never spend any money Cleveland, of course, but beyond that, why are they not trying? Like all of these divisions are winnable or have they just looked at the Tigers and looked at the Cubs and gone fair enough that they're winning their division? Ah, yeah, see you next season, lads.
Speaker 3: The small market excuses bollocks and we've seen that, Yeah, bollocks, because you know, We've seen the rays do it. We've seen the pod rays to an extent do it. We've seen clever teams that the a's have done it, you know, not now, but like for long stretches, the a's have been punching well above their their their their position. So it's not that it's not that it's it's it's purely got to be strength and competition, you know, it's the survival of the fittest. And if no one's that fit, then you haven't got to be fitter than the next guy. So essentially, this is a bunch of obese rangutans sat around eating too much, and there's nothing more to it than that. Like they haven't got to get higher in the tree. They don't need to outrun the predator because there isn't a predator in those divisions. And it's just as simple as that, Like they're just lazy, there's no need to go for it.
Speaker 1: So why bother, why I bother, indeed, why bother talking any more about these two absolutely appalling divisions. Should we talk about a couple of good ones. Would you rather start in the NL West or the al e Strustle.
Speaker 2: Let's go NL west, because I think there's been a little bit more surprise, like in a couple of the teams, Like I think a few of us were maybe slightly persumistic.
Speaker 1: Are we going to be nice about the pad Rice And.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sadly we might have to say something nice. But they've started well and they've basically have got the best record.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: Giants looked really good watching some of the highlights of the games over the weekend. I think John Hoolee wish he plays the Yankee Stadium all the time. He was having a whale of time in those games. But no, and even like the Diamondbacks are nine and seven and I was looking at it being like, oh, they're like four games out, and I'm like, well, they're actually nine and seven, which is basically better than almost every other team in the NL, so like apart from like the part apart from the Phillies or whatever in the Cubs. So you're like, oh, we joke about it sometimes that all one division is gonna get all of the wild card teams, and well, who knows right now, But actually the thing is the Mets, not the Phillies, who are doing well. But yeah, it's looking like a bloody tough division. To win. I was chuckling that the Dodgers Fangrabs olds have gone down by two percent, like they've started the season like twelve and four, and they're odds down because everybody else's started out ridiculously good as well. So you've got one team at the top, and I'm still gonna be perfectly honest, I would not know who to choose between San Francisco and the Padres and the Diamondbacks. I would have had an opinion probably more towards the Padres come the start of this season, and with the Diamondbacks are close kind of like third and the San Francisco being a bit off, But that looks like maybe a one horse race and three very other people close behind it. Because I still think you can't really look away from the Dodgers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, over the long haul, they're surely going to be the class act of that division. But it wouldn't be a surprise if both of the wild card well, it feels almost inevitable that both of the wild cards going to come out of that division the way that the Phillies and the Braves are started. But you know, baseball's a long old season. We're going to get onto justin Cossus in one hundred and sixty two games. Momentarily, I think, so we'll leave that for then. I wanted to point out one player that I thought about putting in my two good too bad, but this felt like the right point to talk about it. It's not been sensational, but a guy who I have great joy for is Kyle Hart on the Padres. So he pitched in career last year and he was the best pitch and career and this is not his first trip into MLB, because he was on the astonishingly awful twenty twenty Boston Red Sox and arguably took the crown as the worst player to play for the Red Sox that season, and there were a lot of them. In four games over eleven innings, he held an RA of fifteen point five and wasn't seen again having been a you know, not a heralded but a half decent pitching prospect as a sort of back end starter. And yeah, he's been back in the minor leagues, he's been in career for a couple of years, and yeah, I mean he's putting up creditiable innings, which is exactly what the Padres need with that offense. You don't need spectacular outside of Michael King to carry the day. I just thought that was a thing that was worth noting and great to see him him prospering. Still some way to go to bring down that career, ra Kyle, but you know you're heading on the right track. Al East, Rob, That's our division, isn't it. There are some good teams in that division there.
Speaker 3: As I was looking up Kyle Hart and I just I just found a Reuter's uh piece that actually calls him Dan Hart. So that's fantastic. I got very confused trying to work out if there's two heart pictures on the padres.
Speaker 4: But still still some way to come from Brouss as well, Right, A least get your career a e R A under ten and they'll call your car.
Speaker 3: A least. Yes, a least. It is a complete toss up, isn't it. I mean that there was a terrifying butt plug bat moment when it looked like the Yankees were just going to run away with everything. But since then, like anyone like total roll of the dice right now, and it's fantastic, and it's not a roll of the dice Ale central style roll of the dice. This is a roll of the dice that you can point at every team and say that's good, that's really good. These guys have got something really excellent, and there's a lot of it. I mean, I'm very drawn to the A Least anyway, because my team is plays in the al Least. But if I'm flicking through the other fixtures, it's very often I say, oh, I'm gonna go and watch a game that doesn't feature in the Aleast. But I'm finding myself more and more drawn, like, okay, look the Baltimore Oils run right now, let's see what they're doing, because they are relevant, you know, badly pitching badly and getting worse through injuries. But you know, every team here is relevant. There is There is no team you can say, yeah, they're not gonna be here at the end. You could feasibly say every single one of these these teams is going to be, you know, you know, still in it with the last week to go, like a there's gonna be wild cud teams coming out of the Al East. That's not a surprise. Normally, it's not gonna be a surprise this year. Again, there's a lot of good teams. There's a lot of good stuff, but it strength and rookies we're talking about later or you know, there's been some fantastic pitching starts of some some some interesting twists from the pitching. We've had a bit of everything. From the A least, it's been a real microcosm of the whole league. But the good stuff, like we haven't seen the crap out of the AA least. That time will come. There's gonna be a dip, but right now, these guys it's just really competitive, fun baseball.
Speaker 1: It's also got great storylines as well. Russell has it not the the incredible orange crush uniforms, the butt plug bats, Bladito's Bladito's five hundred million, and the on day off day that is Garrett Crochet Day. Sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe shit.
Speaker 2: I think what you've got there, though, is you've got the it's not There is an East Coast bias in some regards when it comes to like sports medium it's not just baseball like it exists for a reason because that's where a large amount of the population is in the United States, so you can get But if you live in the middle and you don't like it, but guess what, that's where the population is. The media is going to skew to words where people actually live. But so we basically need anything that is potentially interesting we all know about. Like I had people who don't really know about baseball sending me images of why am I seeing like powder blue versus like bright orange in baseball? Like what on earth is going on? I thought, this is something where everybody wore like white. Is this kind of like test cricket or the one day cricket? Are they changing like what uniforms look like to make it kind of more appealing for day night games? And I was kind of like.
Speaker 1: Carry carry packers spirit lives on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you've got the you got the someone stepping up like Chiron Pollard and it's freaking West Indian, kind of like Maroon up there to hit the bat, someone who personally I believe posentially could have been a very good baseball player. But that is a digression. Now it's entertaining. That's the whole reason why we like the like the the al least you've got to being you've got the probably the biggest rivalry in baseball, and the both teams look like they might actually be good again at the same time for what the first time in ages like that, they're both actually kind of like aligned with doing it, and you've got the upstart orioles basically at the bottom right now when you ever body was probably putting them right towards the top. I'll hold my hand on my heart and say that I was one hundred percent certain of blood he was done in Toronto, and he's obviously now just kind of like got the massive deal and in some regards maybe made sure that Kyle Tucker gets a massive deal come next year unless he gets himself injured. But yeah, it's like it's where there is the news, and obviously the Rays having fun in their spring training stadium, like getting all of those stadium those cheapy homers that used to be like the plane of their existence and they're now getting some of those cheapy homers themselves and enjoying it every now and then. But yeah, it's it's it's where, it's where, it's where eyes are on, and it's providing the entertainment while it's got the attention.
Speaker 3: Right now, I sidetrack onto that stupid stadium for a moment. I'm terribly sorry. I really have to say, like Jesus Christ is I mean, I watched a game. It was the Raise against the Angels. I lost track of how many stupid pop up home runs went out to that short porch. Because you've got Yankee Stadium, it's the exact same dimensions as Yankee Stadium at Steinbrenner Field. The difference is New York is north. New York's a bit chilly from time to time. In Tampa, the ball just go and my god, was it going like there was there was Angels players you've never heard of, because let's face it, you've never heard of any Angels players other than the Mic Trout. There was Angel players never heard of who were like the three home run games. It was stupid. It was ridiculous. And they are not hitting home runs anywhere else out of that stadium. They are all going out to that stupid short porch and we all call it the stupid short porch anyway. But like, turn up the temperature, and that short porch is like turning up the stupidity. Like it's a couple more knocks to the head. Jesus, it's awful. I hate that stadium. Not as bad as the Age one, but I still I hate that stadium already and I haven't even visited it yet. Sorry, sorry, it's all right.
Speaker 1: We've all we've all had something to say. I mean I did. I did a cold oak for the whole podcast where I was, you know, coldly furious, but you've been warmly furious, so you know it does matter. Competitive balance is important. I too think that that stadium makes an entire mockery of the sport. I hate the short porch. I absolutely hate it, and obviously I hate that short porch even more. Right, shall we go from the sublime to the ridiculous?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: We we have to talk about what on earth is going on in Colorado and the South side of Chicago, don't we? Albeit loathe, loathe, and for me to say this and bad timing that the White Sox did take a series off The Red Song this week, owing largely to Chase Midroth, who was traded to the White Sox aspart of that Garat Crochet Heal not not too long ago. But goodness gracious, they are running out some people you've literally never heard of, and then running out some players who are supposed to be okay but here are horrendous. What what on earth? Like, ahmen, the Rockies just they just contriving to find new ways to lose every single week. Where where do where do they go? I mean, what what are they doing? Russell? What are they doing? Nobody knows the answer to that question. What's Michael Totalia doing? He's supposed to be good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the one that really I think that's the one that hurts, where it's like you kind of have your your power hitting first basement just kind of disappear like and just be like, oh, so there's no power here anymore. It's like you always remember and obviously like with the with Rayers with a framill, like when he was in Cleveland and just went from just being a power hitter to then suddenly just swinging and missing and being completely looking completely netly overpowered. Like it's not good. Yeah, still short sample size, will we'll see how it looks in a couple of weeks time, but it's it's not a good start. And when that team has basically got i don't know, three serviceable out of all like hitters, and two of them aren't basically doing anything that you would hope they would do, it's bad. And you then have like Kyle Freeland, like I think pitching.
Speaker 1: Actually center teller O, My goodness.
Speaker 2: Those guys have like sill Still I don't know like either basically Colorado is basically the best place or like to live like in the world. Or basically the Rockies are like the greatest organization with how they treat their players, how they treat the players families and people and stuff like the Yes, as Rob might'st but that's quite legal in quite a lot of you at other US states now. But the players that want to be there stay there, and they and they stay there for a while, and they get like nice contracts, and they seem to all have a fairly enjoyable time with what they're doing. They're nowhere near basically ever being relevant, and be a surprise if they will be relevant again in three or five years time. Like I genuinely think that calls might just be effect like you just cannot produce basically like a good team that plays there because of the difference between that and every other field. Now on Chicago side, they're bad, and they're bad because they're doing exactly not what Oakland did when they went bad. Chicago decided that actually the way we're going to do this is put out a bunch of gays that you would maybe just about recognize their name. I think, oh, that means we're putting an effort in. And it's like, no, if you actually just threw out all of your quad A players and gave them all time, two of them might turn out to be good like Butler did. And I mean, like like a few others have done, like yeah, so you just like Chicago haven't done that. They're throwing out like Mike Tauchman and stuff like that. Who yeah, one of one of the most unlucky. I don't know if you did you, either of you guys. See how the White lost the game against Cleveland last week with Tagman being the tying runner going around third and pulling his squad and basically just like limping to the catcher and just being tagged out for like the final act that was That was the day after they went the clevenger walked three people in a row to load the bases and give up the walk of the one nil loss in a walk off and a walk off quite literally.
Speaker 1: Yeah I saw the walk off, but I didn't. I hadn't seen the Tagman thing. It's just that just cauldn't happen to a nicer guy than Mike Clevenger. Sorry, sorry to sidechuck you. I just got Antonio Center tellers that casts baseball, soaven up, and I mean, uh, as as you would expect. There's an awful lot of blue on there. Like work. It is fourth fourth percentile for expected are right, third percentile for expected buying overage, seventh percentile for average exit velocity first like first percentile, okay percentage, fourth percentile for hard hit right, Oh, my word is expected right? Expected era is eight point three to two. Oh my god, keep going on too. It's fine, it's fine.
Speaker 3: I think that's mostly because didn't it didn't he just break a record for least strikeouts in the game with with no no hit with no oh, I don't know. He had no strikeout? Was most what the hell am I trying to say?
Speaker 2: Jesus Christ? Without a strikeout?
Speaker 3: Thank you? Yes? And the scoreless innings, that was it most scorning. I mean, the defense was amazing, but he'd got the guys on on minus zero point three war already and he's only plaid three times.
Speaker 1: Goodness gracious me. Yeah, I mean they are both utterly hideous teams, and I think we should move meve on. Ben's got to listen to this, Ben, Ben. So we're going to get onto we've got a substantive item. What we're going to talk about food. I think this is because we knew you were coming on, Rob and it would just obviously be idiotic. But we'll get onto that in a second. I'm not going to talk in any great detail about the Red Sox Netflix documentary, which because I've not watched all of it yet, I've I've watched a couple of episodes, and it's fair to say that it's as anticipated, incredibly well made. It gives you that same level of insight and engagement than as you know, the drive to survive and hard knocks and those sorts of things and the people. Yeah, I think it would it well. It would definitely have been better. But it's so interesting watching that first episode where they were complete memory hole for my brain, that they were good for three weeks and then Trevor's story got injured and everything went wrong thereafter. Yeah, the people who were the stars of it are exactly those who were anticipated. I mean, Tristan Cossus I alluded to it earlier his soliloquy to cut A Crawford about why there are one hundred and sixty games in baseball is absolutely incredible. But yeah, I just wanted to touch very briefly on a player I'm going to talk about a bit more in a slightly more negative context later, which is Jared Duran, who had a brilliant season for the Red Sox last year. He was the shining light of the team and you know, also went through some unfortunate off field issues, are using a slur which is entirely unacceptable. But there's a whole episode about Jared Duran which I've not had the opportunity to watch yet, but it's about the fact that he attempted to commit suicide during that absolutely desperate run that he had in their twenty twenty two season a couple of years ago, and his rookie season when if you'll remember, he was just absolutely shot on the field, like he couldn't track a ball, he couldn't hit a ball, He looked completely overmatched, and I was quite rude about him. So I just wanted to, you know, make that point that what an incredible thing to do like that, that is going to save the lives of a lot of young people who are in and around the sport of baseball who are look up to him and admire him as a player, or maybe don't even know about him as a player. Being that vulnerable in that context is admirable of anybody, regardless of who they are. But for someone with that platform, I think it's just absolute extraordinary. Like, hats off to him, and hats off to the people who created an environment within the context of this documentary that he felt comfortable enough to share that. Hats off to the people in the Red Sox who knew about this. There were a number of them, including Alex Cora, and who made him feel comfortable and confident to share that too. That shouldn't have been the story of this documentary series. Everyone hoped it was going to be the story of a Red Sox triumph, But in a way it is. He's created that triumph for them, and I admire him immensely for it. I'm going to be horrible about him in a bit, but not as horrible as I was in twenty twenty two.
Speaker 2: I think even for us, like I guess that like jerond around is not listening to like our podcast or probably any of his friends or our family or who were tuty he waited with him, But like the we the pressures that are going through basically some of these top players, especially when they're young and been touted for a considerable amount of time, is so beyond anything that I could possibly comprehend that I actually like hearing somebody say this is such a It is a powerful message, and it's one that kind of like you do realize that, like you hope that makes it does make a difference, and it Yeah, just to reiterate what Jod says, it is a pretty amazing thing that that that has come out of like something stuff like that. And in some regards, it puts more context behind like who he is and what's happened like afterwards, like doesn't necessarily paint him in a better light for kind of like what was said in a bad incident in last season, but you can see like where things are like touching a nerve that you didn't potentially know that like existed, which caused the response that he shouldn't have done, but you can you don't, you can understand more like what happened. You can still say it was wrong and he will still has come out and said that it was wrong, and he is. We'll try and like learn from it. But there is a closer level of understanding than I think that many of us had like beforehand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it explains it without justifying it. I think it's probably the right way, right way of framing it. Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the three word answer I was trying to get to with my long winded statement. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Hey, look, I've been pretty long winded twice. Who knew that four hours sleep in a trip to the gym would make me incredibly maudeling? Apparently it has. Here we go, should we talk about food? We are going to do.
Speaker 3: Long winded to needing wind. There's definitely some stuff on this list. Take that up, just just take it out.
Speaker 1: There's definitely some stuff on this list of ballpark food that would they would give you wind, Russell, do you wanna do you wanna? Do you want to take it away? Do you want to explain that the context of what we're doing here?
Speaker 2: Yes? So, pretty much the start of every season, there seems to be a group press release by most of the major kind of like sporting sites on what is the new ballpark food that it's going to be out there. I say it's a group press release because I looked at this and I saw basically like an ESPN article of Forbes article, like all of these things with almost exactly the same headline being like twenty five new ballpark go ub to grab or whatever. So I'm guessing that it's ready to roll out. But we've had a look, and some of us like the look of some of these things. Some of them mothers may not like the look of these things. But we're just going to do a quick little grab draft to kind of be like, claim what you think is the best ones of the ones available. We will tweet out a link to to those so we could view the options that were available that we didn't get to. But I'm if we are willing to go gentlemen, I will try and grab the first pick then for what I would personally most like to eat from these new options, And it might be left field pick, but I'm going to take the it's so hard, some of this is actually really good. I'm going to take the z Man sandwich, which is the one the new one from which is a It's basically a slow beef brisket burger with provolone cheese, on a toasted bread roll topped with two onion rings, which to me just sounds absolutely glorious and something that I would heartily consume, probably giving me heartily issues in probably too fast a time as well. So that's going to be my number one pick from this list.
Speaker 1: Oh are you going, Rob?
Speaker 3: So if I've got a criticism of it's it's the second onion ring, you know, I'm at that point. I like one will do for me.
Speaker 1: I've got to say, you sniped me. That was definitely going to be my first pick as well. I'm like, I am a big fan of barbecue food. I am not a big fan, and let's just not start this because I could go on for hours of barbecues, which are a very different thing. Any American listeners will know. This is grilling. In the UK, we call that barbecue. It's not the same as smoke pick, Kansas City, Houston barbecue, entirely different, in fact, quite the opposite. I hate it, and everyone in this country is obsessed by doing it as soon as it's vaguely warm, and it revolts me. But barbecue, I'm all about. Yeah, suns out. I'm closing the curtains and anyone, anyone, anyone giggling anywhere near me? Like when I say, I mean within about two kilometers of me. Can she's gonna get fly spread in the face? Anyway? Yes, this this sandwich, though, looks good.
Speaker 2: You've already rob the chance to snipe you again. So Rob, see if you can take the top two.
Speaker 3: After where's he gonna go? I mean, are you.
Speaker 1: Picking your own? Are you picking one that's gonna annoy me?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean you've taken a barbecue range, So I mean there's another good sandwiches on here. It's another good barbecues. Well, I'm gonna go something a bit. You might put it on a barbecue. I quite like the Kansas City Royal Slugger Dog, which is a treza topped with manchego tempura, a batter, Dorito's cool runch crust, and avocado aoli. And I think that's fantastic. It's on a stick, so it's like a good ballpark food to start with. I think it's fairly manageable into your mouth. You know, it's something you can eat at the ballpark. I don't like the fact they used three rs in the word slugger, but you know who doesn't. Who doesn't like a decent bit of buttered sausage or some only drizzled over the edge going down your chin.
Speaker 1: Love you stuff. I don't think it was going to be my number two pick, but it was certainly pretty. It was certainly pretty high at my list. I think it was probably a toss up between that and another one. It did. It did genuinely just make me think of like a luxury battered sausage, So I love it again. Why not listeners in the States look up a battered sausage that is a culinary delicacy for the ages. I love a bat of sausage. But yeah, that looks nice, actually genuinely looks nice though, Okay, okay, So my number two it was completely off in the other direction, but also relatively basic. Just give me the tirasou in the helmet, yes, please? Oh no, no, oh mate. I love term. I absolutely love it. I love I love putting in a helmet. All about I'm all about it, even if it's got an n y on it. Get get it, get it in my face.
Speaker 3: I mean, like a tira messoux is like a like almost like a like a faux classy dessert, like it's a bit eighties, but it's it's it's got you know, there's a bit gone into it, but it's just it's kitch kyler crap in a plastic helmet.
Speaker 1: Now you get it in my mouth.
Speaker 2: The only thing that I agree with John that I do like a good Turmasu. The only thing that would upset me is that this is obviously in one of those tiny dessert helmets. I would much like it in one of the ones that you would normally get your Natcho's and see if you gave Hahos your hat shoes, gave me a in one of those Hatcho hats, then that's what would I had.
Speaker 3: I had a mac and cheese in one of those hat show helmets from a minor league game for the Detroit Tigers, and it nearly killed me. It was four hat show hats worth of mac and cheese, and I was determined, and by the eighth and it was really really hot, and by the eighth inning I wanted to die. And that wasn't just because it was spring training baseball.
Speaker 1: You if you are watching this on our YouTube channel and can only see Robin Russell's happy facial complexions, I will illuminate you that they are two of the more well built robust.
Speaker 2: Perhaps, yeah, as.
Speaker 1: It certainly does, and it's it's there's there's that exercise for one of your arms when it's going to spoon in it, but otherwise not much right I am.
Speaker 2: Lifting those heavy pints, John, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Very very true. Okay, should we pick one more each? And then there's a couple on here that I just to say about them? Yeah, okay, Russ back to you.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'll take my dessert option, which I'm not saying like if it's actually going to be that good or not, but I'm very interested to try what it actually is. So I'm going to give the small's case of deer from the Phillies, like I like a small and I like a case of de normally. Now, will these things actually work together? I'm not one hundred certain that's actually going to be the truth, but if I was there and I saw a bad boy on the menu, I'm trying it, and I will give you an answer immediately one way or the other, whether I love it or hate it, because I don't think there's going to be yelling any middle ground on it. But it has me intrigued enough to want to want to try it. John's tongue sticking out makes me think that he is.
Speaker 1: No, that was definitely on the list of ones. I had absolutely no interest in it. Just it just that's just like eating a pound of sugar, as far as I'm concerned anything that that texture. Yeah, look terriblely he has got coffee in it, you know. Oh, no, that looks something else.
Speaker 2: Very true.
Speaker 1: Hey, look it's got.
Speaker 3: Cracker crumble on it. That that's got me a bit the ground.
Speaker 1: Cracker crumbles one of the things I quite like on the case of deer.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: I know, I know I'm not having that. I'm not.
Speaker 2: No, not for me.
Speaker 1: But you know, each to their own, rob, what about you? What else? What else tickled your fancy?
Speaker 3: I'll take it. I mean there's a lot on here that does. I mean, everything in Arizona looks fantastic. But I will, I will, I will go over to the Rockies, and I think their dessert is interesting. If nothing else, it's meant to look like natchos, but it is. It's dessert natchos, which is fried flower tortillas tossed in a cinnamon sugar with fresh berries dropped with powdered sugar and caramel drizzle, served with a side of whipped cream, which is obviously supposed to look like cream cheese. Now, I don't know if my head will allow me to enjoy it as a sweet dish when it very very clearly looks like a savory dish. And there's all obviously gonna be that comedy moment when someone next to you has bought it and you go in for a natcho and it's not, and then you know, the whole lot goes everywhere over the person in front, He turns round, breaks your nose, tripp to a and e. You know, game ruined. But I'll be interested in the desert natchos. I think they're a bit different. I quite like the creativity, but him so, I'm and you know the Rockies need something, goddamn it.
Speaker 1: Well there you go. Good for them. It's they've pulled a triumph out that, having a beautiful ballpark, great beer, and temperate climb. They've also got a good college football team up there, so you know they've got that going for them to Okay, I'm going to go root one for my next pick. Just just give just give me the massive burrito, please. I mean, who doesn't love a burrito. I'm not on the list of people who don't love a burrito. I do love a burto I love a boomstick. I've done the boomstick challenge. It's on this here YouTube channel, and I've got to tell you eating that was one of the worst experiences of my life. But I have nothing to do with with the taste. It is genuinely tasty item of food that I met the chap who's the chef who I've been trying to google his name? If you just if you've gout boomstick chef, you just get lots lots of pictures of Nellie Cruise meeting John Favreau, which is quite funny, but you can't get the name of the guy who invented it. A very nice man. I've met him a couple of times. So yeah, I'm all in on the on the massive burrito. You probably need about four of us to eat it, but yes, please.
Speaker 2: I think obviously the simple adage is just everything is bigger in Texas, isn't it. So it's just like they've gone for it. The fact that also that it's like that twenty four inch burrito because it's a twenty six inch tortilla, so there's even like a good folding up on it.
Speaker 1: So that helped with the mess.
Speaker 3: That is important because you know what, if you're sat there wearing you're like three hundred and fifty dollars Replica Jersey, you really don't want to get boomstick down it.
Speaker 1: That's the man who speaks personal experience.
Speaker 3: Hey, I made a boomstick during COVID. If you remember again on this YouTube channel.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, we all remember that nervous breaked.
Speaker 2: That video on this YouTube channel.
Speaker 1: We're all having conversations with celebrated baseball reporters and big league players whilst you're literally in the corner of the screen in your kitchen, in your partner to film. You haven't learn of a nervous break.
Speaker 3: Okay, So you want to say it was a low point, but it wasn't.
Speaker 1: That poor woman Russell order.
Speaker 2: So I'm just going to go to one thing that I think looks absolutely awful. I do know what candy floss on fries get.
Speaker 1: I do not want candy floss ever, it's disgusting in a wife for me.
Speaker 2: I don't know how according to the MLB article that is the top new grub. I'm like will be speaking to like six year olds when we were asking their opinion.
Speaker 3: The thing that offends me maybe it's very offensive that we have candy floss on top of the chips. The second point for me is that this serving looks absolutely tiny and I imagine it's very expensive.
Speaker 1: Not the blue sauce.
Speaker 5: That's my second issue is there is a blue sace of undetermined providence on these chips.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it looks like an AI phone, like candy flows to be put on like some fries. John and Robb, do you have anything that you else would like to say?
Speaker 3: No, there is such a list here. There is such a list. There are so many things. I'm gonna cheat and take two now. The first. The first thing I'm going to take is the pair of popcorn bats. And this is purely from someone who works This is somebody who works in events. Have a look at how they think that click the gonna have a look at the ESPN article. It's essentially a baseball bat. That the that's wide, the the the top and that's where the lid is. Like, there is no way to put this thing down where there isn't gonna be popcorn absolutely fucking everywhere. And having been in events for twenty years, I could tell you how much I hate this product. Hate this product because there are some poor people who are gonna have to pick this shit up after after you've finished watching The Pirates lose, and that's just that's just not fair. So yeah, I'm out on those. But the one that's really really made me gip, No, that wasn't it. That wasn't it. That was my other one. It's got the pad raid. What they're doing with their banana pudding is in a helmet. Banana putting in a helmet, And I'm also like, I've also I found a poem about the banana pudding in the helmet. My god, I found this is from Petco Park Insider. It's called an ode to Banana pudding in a helmet. Oh Sacred Scoopa, Golden Bliss in a padre's helmet, Pure Chef's Kiss. Banana pudding smooth and Sweet, a ballpark snack that can't be beat. Topped the banana's nuts and cookie bold as an all star Fresh as a rookie costs seven ninety nine for a generous serving. Size to share if they're deserving. Hard to find, but here's the key seaside markets where it will be field level Section one hundred and five. Are really getting into the details here. Peel on down, then feel alive, nearly done, creepy, an absurd, like a pie in the face, dreamily served thirty one place Bechco Parks and diego there we go, folks. That was a dramatic reading of an ode to banana pudding in a helmet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Bill, Bill Shakespeare turn in his grave.
Speaker 2: That's not saying I didn't think that there was anything worse in the universe than vog On poetry. But I think I may have.
Speaker 1: Just Emily Dickinson didn't die for that shit. Honestly, I'll tell you what. The reason I was putting my thumbs up when you were talking about that is because that was also going to be on my list, but mine. I mean, the concept is atrocious that the poetry, and I kind of feel like pretty pretty pretty furtive about censuring myself. I am horrendously allergic to bananas, and the notion of bananas being anywhere near me makes me gip anyway, So seeing that just made me just angry, and yet we're going to bring this segment to a close in a moment. People. It is not even the one that I like the look on the least.
Speaker 2: The White allergic to, and.
Speaker 1: I think I would genuinely rather eat that than that White Sox cake. Now, I know that the banana is going to make me violent the ill, but looking at that thing makes me feel sick. It is disgusting. I like, again, these podcasts are a revelation whenever for everyone, whenever that you know that I never know what's going to get the inner psych of me going. I really really don't like cake, and it's one of my weirdest things. I think cake is the world's most overrated food. I'm just looking at that bloody milkshake being sullied by that horrible dry cake with that nasty cherry on the top and those stupid sprinkles that are just going to get in your teeth piss off.
Speaker 3: I mean, it wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't essentially following on from the only thing that White Sox won last year, which was that fantastic milkshake that everybody wanted. We've got this abortion.
Speaker 1: It's awful horrendous. I'm sorry I sat like Ron Atkinson. I'm sorry. Just get it away. I've just got it open on my screen. I could close this window at any time, and I'm going to piss off right time to bring this proceeding to a close with too good, Too bad. That was a lot of fun, Ron, Do you want to go first?
Speaker 2: With you?
Speaker 1: You have the honor of picking good or bad. We've had a bit of both in the last fifteen minutes, So okay, well, I go where you want.
Speaker 3: I'm probably going to take a bad first because I've only got one good at the moment, and so i need more time to think about that. So I'm going to go with the Tampa Rays pulling their starter last minute, which was a really really cheap move to my mind. Many people will say it was a good strategy, But what happened was it was a game against the Alanta Braves advertised with Shane Baz, who let me clarify here, was very very healthy, had pitched very well so far. Everyone was expecting Shane Bazz to pitch in this final game against the Braves. But what the Rays did instead without telling anybody, is about half an hour before the game they pulled Shane Baz and they they put Joe Boyle. They called Joe Boyle up from the miners and had him pitch and said, and look, he pitched great. He pitched fantastically, probably because the A's that the Braves had absolutely no chance to do any scouting. But my problem here is there was no injuries, no one was sick. This was apparently something they've been planning for days and days and days and days and days. So what they're doing is they wanted to get an extra day's rest for all the starters, so they pushed them all back a bit, which is fine. However, to do this with like half an hour's notice, Like you've got people probably in the ballpark at this point who were specifically there. I want to see Shane Baths he is, you know what, The Rays have account as a star these days, like he is. He's a big name pitcher for them. People would have been there to see Shane Bazz play probably, and then they've called up somebody last minute like that, and it just feels a little bit bush league for me. Maybe even getting a bit red ass here, but it feels a bit bush to pull.
Speaker 2: Out that move so late.
Speaker 3: In the day for non injury reasons.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, go Russ.
Speaker 2: No, it just made me think of Craig Council pulling Wayne Miley after one one batterer in the the twenty eighteen like the Championship was the Championship Series was the Championship Series obviously kind of just kind of like just completely only trying to mentally get one over on on like the people that you're doing now. I think in a playoffs you can maybe just about say that, like you've got to really try and pull every single lever that you can to win a game. But during the regular season, it's just like, seriously, like there is supposed to be an entertainment value what you're doing, and you've got pulling your starter for no reason. I think it's it might not be Bush, but it's poor entertainment.
Speaker 1: Also, Shane bars they sound like your dad's mate. So he goes to the club with Shane.
Speaker 2: That'll a bit Shane and bad Shane.
Speaker 1: Shane. Shane sells insurance and basses a PA coreator.
Speaker 3: No, Shane doesn't say he sells you in shells insurance, but he's actually his stuff that's fallen off the back of the.
Speaker 1: Back of a lorry uninsured Russell. What's bad for you?
Speaker 2: I mentioned a little bit earlier on, but I think I want to kind of go through it in detail, like the Kansas City offense right now. I think I have to double check it because I was looking at this yesterday, but I think they have a sixty nine WRC plus for the season so far, which when you're a team nice is it is nice? But sadly it's not nice. And Bobby Witch Junior already has one war in seventeen games, so project that out to basically a full season, and he's close to being a ten war player. Again, the shame is effectively the Hunter Renfro already has minus point six WAR, Michael Massey has minus point four war. NJ. Melendez has minus point four war, even like the Salvador Perez is a non negative war, so he basically has no support apart from Michael Garcia and a bit of a tiny bit of like Vinnie Pasquentino, who's managing to put out a zero war season so far. It's like this team, it's just looked awful with the bat and when you have a generational talent as in Bobby with Judy, somebody who will be in MVP races. The fact that he is not have any support is truly awful. And you were just like, this was what a lot of us still thought Kansas would get better because they pitched well last year, they had some injuries when it came to hitting, and you thought, yeah, you know what. I didn't think you things could get worse. I thought it would only get better. Well, it's only been three weeks, but things got worse.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I hadn't quite reckoned with quite how bad. I knew they weren't great, but I hadn't reckoned with it being quite that bad. Goodness. Gracious, mate, Ah, the nice numbers don't need any further exposition or explanation, do they. Okay, it's owed me a oh God. I mean, I kind of feel like we have to mention it because it's just happened. What I put in our prep document is that reporter Dickhead, I am referring to Wiley Ballard, the sideline reporter of the Atlanta Braves, a gentleman who exudes golf energy. Just look at him. That's a man who only owns quarter zips. Was very disappointed by the performance of Bryce and de Chambo this Sunday. Oh my goodness, May If you've missed it, you've been living under a rock, because it's everywhere on baseball social media. This twerp I tried to hook up with a woman whilst doing his job this week, and I don't know if I'm more disgusted by that or by the colleagues who are egging him on. There's a guy by the name of Miles Garrett whose tweet has had an awful lot of retweets from female reporters, sideline reporters, clubhouse reporters, TV anchors, and he's just left it, you know, he's just leaving it out there as though this is absolutely fine. It's just totally unacceptable. You know, we all meet a potential partners everywhere, but just do it in private, dont don't you know? Bull run a poor woman he's trying to watch a baseball game into going out with you. He's found it really crass, and the celebration of it by all of the expected outlets is exactly what you anticipate. Yeah, at all.
Speaker 2: It's a dual standard because this is exactly the type of thing that if like a female reporter did they would all be lambasting it for being inappropriate and devaluing like commentary.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I just blame golf. Just just look like, look like the type of guy who just loves golf. Golf is the worst thing ever invented. Apart from cank okay, Rob something good from.
Speaker 3: You, suthing good. I just dumped on the race. So I'm gonna come back on the flip side with the Rays and gonna go very home today. And the Rai's rookies they're great. They are turning up. It's caveated by small samples, of course, but we're looking at Cameron Meisner Junior, Cameronaro, Jake Mangham, and Jonathan Randa. These are four guys who are They've all hit the ground running. It's fantastic to see from a raised fan point of view, for any fan point of view, you get that thing with your with your with your rookies. They're gonna come up, and yes they're gonna have some bad times, but they've got to pass that first test of can they actually do it at all? And these four have all just like bang, yep, they can do it. Whether or not they can adjust later on. Those ra all things. But they've passed that first hurdle big style, and it's just really nice to see like some some young raised hitters actually hitting and not getting in trouble with the police. So I'm like, yeah, this is this is a nice, nice, friendly family fun uh and and there's there's they've got some good stories. Some of these guys are debuting very very late as well, so it's just a nice story. It's just it's just nice to see it happening. And we all like our rookies. We all we all live and sweat by our our rookies. They're gonna come up, they're gonna save the day. And these guys are and that's nice. It's exciting. So I want to see more. And it's not just the raise. There's there's plenty of them. I mean, look what's going on the Red Sox at the moment. I'm sure we're gonna mention them in a minute, but uh yeah, there's there's some some great rookies out there and they're they're hitting, they're they're good. I'm enjoying the rookies.
Speaker 2: Russell to take things back maybe to Jonathan's favorite sport, do either of you know who Daniel Lynch. The fourth is.
Speaker 3: Daniel Lynch the fourth.
Speaker 2: No, here is a picture for the Kansas City Royals, a relief picture that you've never heard of. Has probably the most golf founding name in baseball. But maybe just because I think you like Davis Love the third basically that.
Speaker 1: Immediately good thing about the only good thing about golf, and it's not on my list is Ken Griffy taking that amazing?
Speaker 2: But yes, Daniel Lynch is currently on an eighteen game streak of not giving up an earned run. He has pitched twenty eight point two innings and has not given up a run. He has given up a run since August last year. And I just love it when the stuff like this, where there's like completely utterly randa reliever that nobody's ever heard of that is chasing the twenty game streak, which really doesn't happen like in Major League Baseball of not giving up a run. Kate Smith is currently like one game behind him on seventeen. But it's just it's just hilarious to be like, this is the duality of what Kansas City has right now. They have like a complete nobody reliever who is being pseudo kind of like wipes out and but then kind of having the other thing to go with this side. The thing I found amusing when I was looking this up is technically the longest current streak from the last twenty years is Casey Sadler, who obviously has sadly retired due to personal reasons the last year, but he ended his career only twenty nine game streak of not giving up an under run, which is just mental. I was looking even on this list, Trevor May ended on a fifteen gay streak of not giving up a run. You're like, some of these guys go out like on the top and you never quite think about though, just because they were relief pictures.
Speaker 1: Great, I love that. I am going to talk about a rookie, and I'm going to talk about a rookie second basement, but I'm not going to talk about the one that you anticipate I'm going to talk about. I'm going to talk about Kyne Paris almost talked about him. Yeah he is. I think the guy you were alluding to earlier in all of those rinky dink home runs for the highlights he was. Yeah, he's had an absolutely extraordinary start of the season. He's currently fourth in the rank of fangrafts war, behind some guys called Corbyn Carrol, Aaron Judge, and Fernando Tatist Junior, and followed by Hunter Green, Carl Tucker, Cole Reagan's, Paul Skeins and others. I omitted Haraldo Paedomo, sorry Heraldo, that there's no there's no scope to talk about you and your your miracle season here yet, because I want to talk about Karen Parris specifically. I wanted to talk about like how baseball can change for players so quickly. So he was he was an okay prospect, but never a really great one in in a quite poor system. And two years ago he was playing in Double A going through a streak of seventy seven plate appearances where he had a batting average of zero seven to one, and he started the season like a freight train. Now, you know, small sample size, cluster luck, all of that, but just a really great stufy and you know that there is some mechanical changes. He's gone to Richard Shank who's Aaron Judges hitting guru, Jeff Fry's arch nemesis, and yeah, it looks like it's made a real change. For him, and he is the sort of Cinderella story of this pretty remarkable start of the season for Mike Trout's halo. So yeah, I wanted to just give Kirn Paris his flowers. He's been a lot of fun. He seems like a very nice young man too, which weighs in his favor as well. Right, name, it's a great name, isn't it a proper baseball name, that, isn't it? Look I don't I don't want to be Aaron Judge. Imine, come on, I want Corbyn, Carolyn and Kyne Paris And frankly.
Speaker 2: I'm just waiting for there's a Paris syndrome joke there, though I'm not quite working out how it's going to like work, where we're all going to start to think that he's like good and and he somehow isn't.
Speaker 3: But is that what Paris syndrome is learning today?
Speaker 2: It's the fake thing about like Chinese tourists going to Paris and realize that it's not as lovely as they thought it would be.
Speaker 1: They're wrong. And Heraldo Haraldoo sounds like a private detective, so him as well had private eye. He's gonna he's gonna find find your husband with a mistress, no doubt.
Speaker 3: Columbo sidekick.
Speaker 1: You're absolutely right, Harald, Just just one more thing? Is it an extra base hit at this right? Yes? Okay, rob something.
Speaker 3: Bad, something bad. How can we not talk about the A's and their their medical cart. What a joyful little blip of baseball life we had there. And obviously it's something bad, but I mean it is essentially a good too, I mean, like wonderful, just lah, like it's just all the stars are lining. So obviously, poor Jose Siri is feeling a little bit rough after he's smashed the ball off of his shin and it did look like it. Hood broke down on the floor as he broken his leg. I thought he had a bruise. Okay, well you know, yeah, that's gonna smart. He's not gonna lie. So out comes the golf bug. He to take him off, but oh no, oh no, it's run out of petrol. It's broken down. It breaks us up. We don't know what's wrong with it, but it ain't going anywhere. They have to get him off of the second one. But you think that's it, like ah hahah, the thing's rubbish. No, no, no, the gift keeps giving when they try and get this thing off the field, and you could almost play like the clown music in the backgrounds as there's like five guys trying to push this thing through the gap in the fence. It won't go through the gap of the fence. And then there's like the really really big security guy who looks like he can push it on his own, is just stood there watching whilst he's like five guys are mentally trying to push this through the gate. And look, hey again, I've already mentioned in this podcast I work in live events, and you know I been there on a stage with five thousand people watch me trip up as I'm trying to gaffitate the back onto the seat, you know, like it's it happens like events. People like I'm not not having a go at you, like this crap is going to happen. But my god, I mean just in this ballpark as well, right now at the beginning of the stay, it is just everything perfect has come. You couldn't written this any more beautiful. It was wonderful. If you haven't seen this, and you're probably hiding under a rock if you haven't, but please go and watch it. It's beautiful, beautiful beginning to end.
Speaker 1: There's almost certainly a version of it with the curb your enthusiasm.
Speaker 2: Choose to play that. There's like so many points where you could play. When he gets hitting the shin with the ball, like, you could do it right there. You could do it. When he's getting stuck on the thing and it stops. You could do it when they're going to do it. It's like the Lord of the Rings. There's so many freaking anything that's going on here. Oh, I loved it, Russell, I think a manual Class A might be broken. He's given up more runs so far this season than he did for the entirety of last season. His slider just isn't like working the same way it did last year. I don't know if he pitched too much, because it doesn't really look too much difference from a like maybe like a mile an hour lower on the velocity, if that's the difference basically between it being probasically one of the best pitches in baseball to it being like a bolow average pitch. Jese Louise, like, you understand why these relievers are volatile, and it's just it could be a bit of small sample sized look or whatever. But he's just looked bad in pretty much every appearance he's had for Cleveland so far this season. And if you had given me money to put on which one of like the four Cleveland like relievers who did really well last year would have a seven year A, it wouldn't have been him. Like two of them have still got zeros and one of them's got to bring him one point eighty or A and class A has a seven point seventy one ERA through six appearances. It's like off and you just wonder, like, did they just ask too much of him? Like from me and John having that conversation with Jay Jackson when he talked about like just getting to the postseason and being like, wow, it was crap because I literally had nothing in the tank, like the number of times I've gone up and down and other stuff like that, and just like you really think they can break. We know what happens with starters, but can you do it with relievers as well? Ask them to do like one hundred plus innings in a season and then you know what they've done and who knows. Hopefully he gets it back to it, but it not looks pretty to start this season.
Speaker 1: Relievers are fungible. Sam Miller, H yeah, I also want to, unfortunately talk about a couple of players who've seemed broken. And it's also I'm not gonna lie a little bit of a victory lap for me, because you know, as aforementioned, I spent most of twenty twenty two transpires that timing was not party appropriate saying that Jaron Duran and Tannahuk were two of the worst baseball players in the history of the sports. Jaron, bless you. I wish you nothing but the best, and you've been extraordinary for the last two seasons, one of the very best players in baseball for the last two seasons. But it looks like you've broke in again. And I hope you get it right for the conversation that we've had before. But he looks like he can neither hit the ball nor field it. He is the worst fielder in baseball, and he was a pretty serviceable center fielder last year, and he is now the worst outfielder in Baseball's playing in left field now, which is supposedly an easier position, and his batting is wretched. No home runs, are barely any extra base hits, ops of five eighty one, which for a lead off hit or in the Al East is not going to cut it. And yet, and yet, Tanna Hawk really has turned into a pumpkin. God love him, he is extraordinarily bad. He has a nine point one sixty RA. If you look at his stackcast page, it's almost as blue as dear old Antonio Senza Teller's. And let's say, Jaron Duran's ceiling has been rather higher than that man's. The stat that really stuck out to me is, albeit small sample size, he's running at three three barrels per plate appearance higher than he was last year. So he had four last year and it's six point nine this year. That seems quite bad. Almost seems like he's pretty much putting the ball on a tee and saying, you do what you need to do. Yeah. I mean, he was absolutely wretched against the Rays yesterday. He got left out too long, he did, but he got absolutely boat raced. The bullpen has had too much to do for the Red Sox so far, and that's probably why they were like, yeah, you're staying out there. We've lost. Yeah. I feel for him. The whole of the Red Sox rotation outside of Crochet looks a bit of a mess, and they're desperate for Giulito Beao and hopefully Crawford to come back. But yeah, it looks like Jaron Duran and Tanner Hawk might be headed to the old Phantom my l. I think I hope they get a reset because they were They've been really really good the last two seasons and proved me wrong, and I desperately don't want them to prove me right again. LL talk about something good.
Speaker 3: Something good sounds initially like something bad, but it's actually think I think is quite a good thing. It's that bloke who wrestled the ball out of Mike Trout's glove at.
Speaker 1: Houston.
Speaker 3: This is it's it's almost sort of exactly the same as the Mookie Betts incident last year, where two chaps wrestled the ball out of his glove and were particularly unpleasant about it afterwards. This chap's done it, and this is this is how it should have gone first time. He even looks a bit like mister Copper Bianco from last year. Uh, what's happened is he's clearly reached out for a ball he thought he had to go at. There's been a rush of blood of the head, and he's gone for gone into Mike Trout's glove and he's had the ball out and but but what makes it better is Mike Trout is quoted saying the bloke was was immediately apologetic, and afterwards they met up. He's apologized to him. He's Mike's Trout signed a bat for this guy's son. It al's played out the way it should have played out last year with Mookie Betts if those two guys weren't such asses. So, you know, fair play to this bloke. He's made a mistake, he's copped to it. Fair play for Mike Trout, he's immediately gone, what the hell's gone on here? And then and then he's accepted the apology. Everything's ended up happy. This is how it should be if occasionally fans are going to clash for players, because there is a line, a very thin line, where they meet. And this one worked out the way it was supposed to once once it went wrong. So well done everyone for keeping your heads and for being decent human beings.
Speaker 2: Have you heard what umpires said? What was the difference between that play and the Mookie Bets play at the World series. His response was, I haven't seen the mookie bets play at the World Series, which this is basically spends his entire year umpiring and doesn't watch basically like the most important games in the world, which is either terrific work life balance or horrendous work life balance. I'm not one hundred ten cer and like which way it is. Or you've literally just lied out of your arse in front of absolutely everybody. So I just want to add that on because it was just an amazing from any.
Speaker 1: He wouldn't get that under Howard Webb's pug mall, yeah, I'm pleased you spoke about that. Mike Trout absolutely all class. I'm going to stick up a little bit for that guy. I don't think he was anywhere nearing the realm of Austin Kappa Bianco. I think you're I think Russian blood to the head is exactly the right phrase. He just was like, I'm leaning over, I've got this, and completely didn't notice that Mike Trout was basically had his glove directly under his hand. It wasn't like I'm going to win this. Yeah, and he loved absolutely mortified as soon as he recognized what.
Speaker 2: Was going on, didn't he the guy was probably willing to steal it from a child, but not from a major league player.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean, god, look, we've got no bads left, so we can't talk about that Pillock stealing it from emerginal like players.
Speaker 3: That's good, isn't it? Anyway?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're not talking about that Pillic probably, but.
Speaker 1: Russell talk about something good. Let's not talk about Zach Campbell.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you guys have seen recently this season, David Lauri has done a really awesome series on Fangrafts, which is going through scouting reports with major league players like four or five years, six years afterwards, and kind of like chatting them through. They're not like particularly long articles, and I think there's been like six or seven of them up now. This one's with like Cody Bellinger like to say that the name another one like quite a few others, like the one with Eric Feddey was the latest one that went up like today. I've really loved the series. I think it's such a clever way of kind of like just kind of like having like a quick chat with a player and talking about something that just the not something they've probably discussed multiple times before. I've not seen this format before. It may have been done, but I've never seen it. So I think it's like it's a cool little thing to kind of hear them talk about, Like, yeah, that's how I would have thought about myself when I was like coming through college or whatever and talking through with like talking through with fed A being like, yeah, obviously before we had TJ pretty much right before the draft, he was being talked about being drafted at the same place as like Jeff Hoffman and Aaron Nola and all of that. So really would to just people go go and read these kind of like groups of articles that I found them really fun, and yeah, it's always good to kind of like get something new when it comes to baseball writing great recommendation.
Speaker 1: I've not seen him, and I'm definitely going to hot foot my way over. Okay, well, God it spins around to me to put the top on after my start my big run up. I haven't done a big run up for a while at the start of the pod, and I kind of spoiled for choice. I mean I wanted I almost put Jeff Hoffman blowing a kiss at the Orioles Dugout. I thought that was absolutely amazing. I almost went for the extraordinary starts of the season from either the second or the actual most handsome man in baseball, e Jong Ho. It's either him or Atani. Let's be honest. He's been brilliant and it was such a shame we didn't get to see him properly in his rookie season. I'm really glad he's going to be a big part of the Giants because he's a really fun player and as I said, just very handsome ladin He But no, I want to talk about Aaron Judge. He has been announced as the captain of the USA World Baseball Classic squad for the twenty twenty six tournament. Those of you who know this podcast well know we're rather big fans of that setup. And Great Britain's going to be back in the World Baseball Classic again and we are in the same pool as the World Baseball Classic, as the USA in the World Baseball Classic, and yeah, that means that Great Britain's going to get to play Aaron Judge. I think that's fun. But it's just fun that Aaron Judge wants to play. He didn't play last time. He was probably the biggest star that didn't play in the USA squad. Harper did, Mike Trout did so. Yeah, cudos to Major League Baseball, Cudos to coach de Rosa for getting Judge to sign up and to take the reins skippering the squad. It's good that the signature international tournament of the sport should have the best players in it, and the USA have never quite pulled their white. So great to see Judge. I'm assuming Russell that you're quite excited to see whether or not he can get Tyler Visa out of the infield.
Speaker 2: Yeah. That's that's where you kind of think about it. You're talking about, like, who are these guys. They're going to get their opportunity to face this and do well. I think obviously the real fun side to me for this is that like this is I think an attempt very early from like there and out de Rosa, like a few days beforehand. Now announcing like Judge, I think this, I don't know whether it's deliberately or not, will put pressure on a lot of other players to be like you, we're gonna freaking take this seriously. We want we want you involved. I've already seen Tyler Glass now say that he wants to pitch, which is probably like exactly not what the Dodgers wanted to happen, But like that's already basically Tyler Glass now pitched for the Team USA last last well or Baseball Classical, he would have been their number one pitcher, So like that a.
Speaker 1: Bit better than Adam Wine, right, wouldn't That's what.
Speaker 2: They were missing. The hitters went last year a few exceptions, but basically like the pitches didn't, and the pitches you can sometimes understand why it's just a spring training it's about to go. It is. But with Otani, with Yamamoto, with Sasaki, I imagine they're all gonna go play for Samurai Japan In. So like the Dodgers are going to be, like our rotation is all basically pitching in the World Baseball Classic.
Speaker 1: It's going to be quite difficult for them to say no to Tayler Glass. So equally, it's going to be very difficult for the New York Yankees to say no to Jazz Chisholm when Aaron Judge has been announced, which is obviously extraordinarily good news for Great Britain. So don't get injured again, Jazz for crying out loud. We rather missed you last time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the only thing we've got to hope for. The only major rule, but basically I think is if they spent more than ninety days on the IL in the previous season, the team has the right not to allow the player to go to the tournament. That's pretty much the only thing that stops it, apart from teams fucking around with arbitration.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so great news that Judge is going to be there, and fingers crossed for Jazz. I think that's a hopeful situation for us. We'll be a lot more World Baseball Classic talk between now and next March. We need to have a coach. We haven't talked about coach Spencer. We will talk about Coach Spencer plenty between now and next March. Let's see who the next one's going to be excited to find out. Maybe I was hoping maybe Mark Durris would come for us, but you know we can do better than that. Great Chats, it's been a pleasure as always. Why when it's you two, is it always long? Gov's going to be so unhappy yourself? Yeah, exactly, and Rob, it's been a pleasure I would ask you if you're writing anything, but you're not, so yeah, please like subscribe to this podcast. It really does help spread the word in the old algorithm. If you like us, tell a friend. If you don't like us, don't tell anyone, and we'll see you again next week. Goodbye.