Speaker 1: The greatest thing about podcasting is getting the opportunity to share multiple conversations with you. Because life isn't about what's in the headlines. It's about what you're living. And that's why we developed Aero dot net a r r o e dot Net. One of the top features that voice. I've spent over the past ten years a lot of time with the voices of NBC's the voice. You know, you see them, you experience them, but I never want you to forget them. That voice only on ero dot net, aar r oe dot net. Enjoy your exploration. Hey, what's going on? I want to thank you for being a part of the conversation. Let's do some pod crashing. Pod Crashing episode number four eighty six is with Anna Sinfield from the podcast The Girl Friends. Good morning, how are you doing.
Speaker 2: I'm doing good. I'm doing good. It's nice to chat to you again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you could, because you bring the story you totally. Anytime I see your name anywhere, I know that what you're bringing to listeners is quality. And you're also bringing the intensity of what it's like to be real with your listeners. And I love that that you bring that in My God, and what you're doing with trust Me, babe. Oh my god, this is so every day.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. Thank you're saying all the right things. Thank you.
Speaker 1: Well, the thing is, I'm about ready to do a report on iHeartRadio that's about relationships, and it's seeing that fifty three percent of all couples are in a burnout mode when it comes to getting together. And then here comes your podcast with trust Me, babe, and I can understand now because look at that damn Derek. What is wrong with this dude?
Speaker 2: There is so much wrong with Derek.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know, Yeah, he just treats everyone so badly.
Speaker 2: I've been trying to figure out what is wrong with him the whole time.
Speaker 3: And when I focused a little bit too much on that, I felt like I was no longer focusing on the real central characters of the story, which are the women, the victims. So I just kind of have left in a sense of there's something very wrong with Derek, and that's about that.
Speaker 1: Well, it brings fear to me to read about or even to hear about Derek, because I don't want to become Derek. I don't even want to know what his secrets are. I don't want to know anything, because I don't want to be caught in trying to build a friendship or a relationship and go, oh my god, this is what Derek did. They're going to start investigating me.
Speaker 3: I think that you'd have to work quite hard to become like Derek, because he he was a busy man kind of figuring out how to be such a such a prolific con artist. I mean, it must have been a lot to juggle without, you know, selling him as some sort of genius.
Speaker 2: It would have been hard work. It would have been a full time jump. Well.
Speaker 1: I cringed when with his reaction when Wendy's sister says that she's going to reach, you know, research his past and stuff, and he was like, nah, I mean, it didn't even bother me. It's like he's been through it so many other times before people have said stuff to him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I know.
Speaker 1: But how do you deal with a situation like that, when you're on the opposite into that microphone and they're sharing that story. How do you even stay strong and engage in a story like this because it would be so easy to say, WHOA, that's your whole I'm out of here. I ow. But but you jump into their into their their I don't want to call it misery, but yes it is.
Speaker 3: One was interested in sitting down and talking to people about the hard stuff.
Speaker 2: I think that's a well I think a lot of people like doing that.
Speaker 3: I think it's definitely a specific skill set I have that I'm able to kind of sit.
Speaker 2: In the horrible.
Speaker 3: But also while we were there, I mean, these women are amazing.
Speaker 2: It's not kind of just been misery. I have actually had such.
Speaker 3: A hoot making this series, which isn't always the case on the shows that I make. Sometimes they do feel kind of just majority dark, and this one didn't you know that the women are so feisty and funny and vivacious and full of life and their own ambitions, and they've managed to achieve so much despite what Derek did to them, that they were just a pleasure to meet.
Speaker 2: And they just happened to have.
Speaker 3: This incredible story, which, like I like to hear exciting stories or dramatic stories about my friend's lives and anyone else's lives. So I was just kind of sat there, mouth open, kind of staring into the abyss, thinking, how the hell did this happen?
Speaker 2: In real life.
Speaker 1: I was going to ask you about the relationship with him, because there's a certain sound and it might be because I've been in radio for all these decades, there's a certain sound that somebody that you're having a conversation with release that you're going, oh, they're being genuine because they trust you. I felt that every one of the people that you feature on this podcast, the girlfriends Trust Me Babe, they had a relationship with you in that they trusted you.
Speaker 3: I well, I hope that's the case, because it's a lot, a lot for them to give up, you know, as a personal story.
Speaker 2: Not everyone was interviewed by me.
Speaker 3: They were also interviewed by our producer Leona, and she is just the warmest, loveliest, most open person ever. And so I think between the two of us, yeah, I hope that they felt safe. I certainly think that the level of intimacy and kind of a sense of like those confessional interviews, I think they do kind of imply that they felt safe. And afterwards they've been very kind about the whole process.
Speaker 1: Were you part of the editing process? Because you got so close and so personal with everybody that's featured on Trust Me Babe? That it's almost one of those things where I'm going, I mean, how did you even edit it? How did you know how to put this story together? Because you're gonna have to play favoritism or did you?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, editing a story is always really, really hard, because there can be the stuff that you know is important perhaps for an interviewee, or it's become important to you, and then there's also just the fact that you are trying to tell a compelling and propulsive story. And so I was involved in fact I think I think my producer Leanna won't mind me saying this, but she was a bit closer to the story. She'd had more research calls with a lot of the women, and she found it harder to let go of things because of that when you're when you're so close, it's even harder. Whereas I really know what the girlfriend sounds like now because I've been making it for such a long time, been hosting it for such a long time, that it's easier for me to come in and just go no, like this, like that, like this, And then after your review and you make sure you've not done anyone a disservice, and obviously they're fact checked and legaled and you make sure you're telling the truth. But yeah, it's all part of being in a team. I think being in a team is so important.
Speaker 1: Oh please do not move. There is more with Anna coming up next. The name of the podcast the Girlfriends. Trust me, babe, We are back with Anna. Well, this one comes with a big, big, big rule that's right there at the beginning. If you think you are a scuba diver and you're not playing by the rules of all scuba divers, you are a con artist. I'm telling you. I felt it in the very beginning when you were talking about him getting the bins and all that kind of stuff. I'm going, holy crap. That's one of the very first rules that we learn when we go scuba diving is how not to get the bins.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so this guy is pretending to be like a super experienced scuba diver and then he gets the bends. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't believe it. I don't believe it one bit.
Speaker 1: But you know what, as a listener though, it drew me closer. So kudos to you guys, because it's almost like you said, watch this, they'll stay longer. They ain't hitting any other podcasts when they're into this one because we're going to make it really dramatic.
Speaker 2: Good aiming for drama, and I really.
Speaker 1: Do what I would love to see sometime with you, ana Is. I would love for you to come to Carolina to interview what goes on here, because it seems like the women of Carolina marry these guys or date these guys and kill them. I mean it's like two or three people at a time, and they use eye drops, they use all these different things. I'm going, my god, it's not just the guys, the girls are doing it too.
Speaker 2: What the hell. I've never heard this say.
Speaker 1: My god, it's amazing how many women are in prison here in the Carolina. It's because well, I put eye drops in his drinks. I'm sorry, Okay, you're forgiven.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness. I mean, I'm I'm all for telling telling that story for sure. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, and that's what I love about what you do is because you generate enough energy inside our imaginations where we look at our own reality and see it happening. Whereas before it was like the blind Gorilla. We were just walking through life. We didn't see anything, but we hear this podcast. The girlfriends trust me, babe, and it's like, oh my god, this is going on around me.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, I would always stress that these are really exceptional stories.
Speaker 2: That's why they're so hard to find.
Speaker 3: But they do all kind of plug into a bigger universal truth. I mean, obviously, I'm always talking about the experiences of women. I'm centering women and marginalized people in the show. That's the whole beat. And so there are these bigger truths about domestic violence, gendered violence, stuff like that that are happening all around us. I just happen to tell the most dramatic version of that story.
Speaker 1: Well, you do something in here with rule number two that everybody should know. In fact, my martial arts instructor even taught me this in the very early days, early stages of martial arts. Girls will pack up. In other words, they are going to get together and whatever they're going to do to make sure they get the right information right now. Oh my god, I love the way that you brought that forward. They will gather together in all that talking.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 3: I mean, like people talk about the male loneliness epidemic at the moment, and one of the reasons that you don't hear about that when it comes to women is because they're so good at looking out for their friends.
Speaker 2: If one of your friends is screwed over by a guy like Derek.
Speaker 3: You bet her girlfriends are coming around and they're going to make a plan and they're going to support each other. And guys should take a you know, take some hints from that and some tips and learn how to be there for their friends.
Speaker 1: What's really interesting about this is the fact that you really do paint Derek as this person who you know, tries to be all these different rules. I've always believed that the con artists were the truck drivers, are the people that traveled on highways and things. No, No, you're proving to us that it could be everyday average Jimmy Johnson. And you're going, what the what I never even even thought about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly. I mean it's these women were.
Speaker 2: Not dumb, they were not naive.
Speaker 3: I think it's really easy to look at this story and think, oh, that would never happen to me. Yeah, but it would because it just came across like a normal guy.
Speaker 1: See, and that just scared I'm a guy, and that scares the crap out of me. I mean, they see how you're affecting people. It's not just the guy, even though it's about a guy, but we still we still sit here and think, oh my god, this is really going on around us. This isn't a binge watch.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I mean men can be victims of these sort of con artists too. Yep. It's an easy way in to, you know, manipulate someone who wants to be loved. It's a dirty, easy way in, but it is. But you know, a heterosexual man can be conned by another heterosexual man through friendship, through business, through anything, you know, and.
Speaker 1: It doesn't have to deal with sex at all. I mean that's one of the things that you talk about this when it comes to you know, what's happening in this story is that it happens in all walks of life. All people just be more aware.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, be aware.
Speaker 3: But also, and you know, and what I mean by that is, don't be naive to let strangers into your life in a kind of intimate way without kind of due diligence, and don't pass over your finances and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: But I think also it's really.
Speaker 3: Important The series ends with a sort of message about not losing faith in love and not becoming too guarded. You can't go through your entire life just expecting the worst to happen, because these stories are rare. But it's about kind of making sure you build up your communities so that if anything bad were to happen in any part of your life, you have people around you to fall back on.
Speaker 2: And that's what these women had. They had each other.
Speaker 1: I want to know how many of the older generation before the app came into play in our smartphones, are going to reach out to you and say, Anna, we got to talk, because this is really going to rock a lot of worlds because this is not just something that happened in the digital age. This has been going on in fact. And the reason why I say that, I think my own damn dad was a con artist because this man had three women with children and I'm going, how the hell did this even happen because he's a corner. But you know, everybody's gone now, so I can't get any answers. I'm going to go to my own grave scene my dad was a con artist.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, I mean it's a shame that everybody's gone, because what a kind of personal story to dig into. But Yeah, you're right. This has been going on a really long time. I mean people have been conning people since since the dawn of time. But even in this specific instance in Trust Me Babe, the first known case we have of Derek conning someone is nineteen ninety four when he was a student at college, and so that's a really early start.
Speaker 2: That was before dating apps.
Speaker 3: And so I think how many people have not come forward that are between those stretches. That's something I'd be really interested to hear from, like anyone who has stories that haven't been reported yet, because I'm sure there's many.
Speaker 1: And how many people go to a hockey game, like Lisa expecting to watch the game and oh my god, there's a new dude. Oh my god, he's a pretty cool guy. Yeah, I'm gonna go to a game now thinking you're being nice to me for what reason today?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Well, you know you've always got to watch out for people on the other side at these games, right, So keep your wits about you.
Speaker 1: You'd be brilliant, Anna. And you know my door is always open. Please come back and have a great time.
Speaker 2: Okay, thank you so much. It was lovely to chat