Speaker 1: You know what, they may have just won against the same team that they just recently beat by fifty five by four points at alan Field House. Yeah, that's okay, that's okay.
Speaker 2: Is it okay?
Speaker 1: It's okay?
Speaker 2: I promise.
Speaker 1: I asked my friend, the one, the only, the damn it Bill that guy. I asked him, and he said all he actually said was wow, how about kJ Am?
Speaker 2: I right, yeah, Sorry, I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.
Speaker 1: Well, this will be an interesting show because while we are inside the paint per usual, Landon is literally inside the paint. He's not here today because he's painting somebody's house. And Cam, I have to tell you. I know that doing these podcasts, whenever you have to wake up at six o'clock in the morning, which is just like eight hours from now or whatever, Not really but close. Yeah, I guess it's close to eight hours from now. I gotta think that you would rather do that than paint somebody's house.
Speaker 2: That sounds terrible, I would I, you know, painting for me. Apparently people do painting for leisure, but for me, it sounds like a day in a penitentiary. I don't if you handed me a paint brush and you told me to paint a wall. Within an hour, the paint brush would be in the paint bucket, the door would be open, and I would be ten miles down the road finding the nearest corner bar. Because that's a horrible way to spend a day.
Speaker 1: That that seems accurate. Like, we bought our house three years ago and I had so much help painting that house, and I hated every second of painting the house. Now my wife is talking like we did do a good job. It looks nice and all. But you know, my wife has mentioned like, maybe we should paint this room this color up. They'd be like, no, no, this is the color. Don't you see. There's only two options. You either learn to like the color or we move. I'm not doing anything in between, no painting ever.
Speaker 2: I personally like the medieval architectural wallpaper that we have here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that at least we got lucky enough to not move in a house with wallpaper. I don't know who in the world ever thought that was a good idea. That's out. Wallpaper is so outdated it may as well be in line with the same time period as a three big lineup in college basketball. Hey, you know what that is?
Speaker 2: You know what I think Bill self is actually just playing the game that fog Allen envisioned.
Speaker 1: Oh right, yeah, whenever he had his wife, whenever he had his wife in her peach basket, throw the ball up into the basket and then they have to stop the game, get a ladder, and go get the ball out of it.
Speaker 2: If if fog Allen could have had five Zach Clemens's, he would be the greatest coach in Kansas basketball history. And I don't even think that's that crazy of a take.
Speaker 1: And there are there would be people that would argue it for sure. They've only been eight of them in like one hundred and twenty some years of Kansas basketball. There's only been eight coaches. Can you name all eight coaches? I don't think I can. Fog Allen Bill or not Ted Williams. Ted Ted Williams is a great baseball player. Yes, Ted Owens. So that's five. Naysmith, right, he counts nay Smith of course? Yes, Okay, so that's that's six. Yeah, how are there our there still two others? Let's see.
Speaker 2: I think that's all I got in the tank, honestly.
Speaker 1: Let's see. So yes, Jay Okay. This is on Wikipedia, James Nay Smith and fog Allen where they are the first like fifty nine years. And then they they had a coach named William O. Hamilton who coached from nineteen oh nine to nineteen nineteen. In case you're ever playing trivia quest and the question is who is coaching Kansas basketball when the Titanic went down? William O. Hamilton? And then there's Dick Harp for eight years.
Speaker 2: Uh, Dick Effort, what a name.
Speaker 1: So actually I should have known this. So the order goes James Nay Smith for ten years, and then it goes fog Allen for two years, and then they gave the reins to William Hamilton, and then they go back to fog Allen for almost forty years, and he coached there until fifty six. Then Dick Harp, yes name, Hall of famer, but one of the most medium ooker basketball coaches for the record, Dick Harp until sixty four. Then's Head Owens for twenty years, then Larry Brown for six they win the eighty eight title, Roy Williams gets fifteen years, and then Bill self as has been here since two thousand and three. Wow, that's it eight coaches? How many you you were for the Detroit Lions. The Lions have to have had eight coaches in the last like twelve years they've had They've had.
Speaker 2: Jim Caldwell, Jim Schwartz, Jan Campbell, Campbell and then beyond that. I actually can't remember after prior to that, it was all terrible. See.
Speaker 1: One of the very first memories that like six or seven year old Ryan had of watching the Detroit Lions was when Marty Morningwig was coaching there and he opted to kick off after winning the overtime coin toss because he wanted to play with the wind at his back, and he never got the ball. If that'll if that tells me how that experiment believable?
Speaker 2: I forgot. I forgot that actually happened. I don't really I heard that, but I heard of that.
Speaker 1: You're also forgetting the lioneest coach of all time, which was Matt Patricia, the fat dude.
Speaker 2: Pencil and the neck beard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, basically the white Mike woodson of of NFL coaches. We were talking about him in our first intro. I don't know how we got on that. Like, Indiana was good. Recently Indiana won several NCAA titles against some of those Kansas coaches. We just named it, and now they are. They are dreadful.
Speaker 2: Matt Patricia is the Michael Jordan of Mike Woodson's.
Speaker 1: I don't know how we got down this rabbit hole off for five minutes, but we probably have to talk about Kansas UCF as much as we don't want to do that, so we will do that. This is inside the Pain on rock Chuk blog. I'm Ryan Landrath and I'm Cam Cam. I don't know if you're gonna win pick them. You probably are, but one thing you're definitely gonna win is the attendance award. You're you're skating rings around Landon and I think that that should be fifty percent of the vote. Whenever it comes to deciding who loses pick him at.
Speaker 2: The end of the year. I I agree, especially if I'm the one that actually does end up losing.
Speaker 1: Pick them what you want. You're doing very well in Pickham. You are way up, and pick them. Landon and I are battling it out in last place. I am one game ahead of Landon, who's not here, and every time that he's not here, we do have to remind you that this if the soundboard.
Speaker 2: Works gas landed fields.
Speaker 1: There we go, you suck ass landed fields. Then I also have this, which I don't think I've ever pushed on the show. I don't know if I ever heard if I have ever pushed that. It was about Dick Fitel, and all I had to do was take out the very last word. So it's not like he's ever gonna hear it because he doesn't listen to the show. Oh well, I'm also watching highlights on the TV are are it's all It's Big ten night and apparently the Big Ten doesn't have any ESPN games.
Speaker 2: Now, yeah, Big ten is only on FS one.
Speaker 1: I believes because Joe Lenardi was called out on Twitter for never mentioning anything about the Big Ten as far as bracketology, and he said, well, we're told in our production meetings that we don't really cover the Big Ten, so don't focus on it.
Speaker 2: So, yes, Big ten doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: Right, I was gonna say, we can all do that. Who and you know who also doesn't matter as UCF basketball, I'm sorry they don't. But somehow Kansas only finished four points better. So let's let's go ahead. Let's talk all about it. Number eleven Kansas ninety one, UCF eighty seven. Good lord, that's a lot of points.
Speaker 2: Whoof yeah, uh Well, Without Dewan Harris, Kansas struggled all night on the defensive end, playing even with UCF for a half before the Knight's built a nine point lead early in the second half. Eventually, the three point shooting cooled down for UCF. KU's offense made enough plays to squeak out a narrow win over team that they beat by fifty one points just three long long weeks ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we could have told you that was coming right. UCF at one point was twelve for twenty seven from three. And it was at that moment, while Kansas trailed by eight points that I posted on Rock Chalk Blog that UCF is gonna go to for their last thirteen threes and is gonna score just enough to win by like six points, and we'll all convince ourselves that this was better than it was. And sure enough, UCF wound up going I believe it was two for nine to close it down the stretch from three, and then Kansas escaped by a few points. You could make a couple of different arguments here you could say this is a team that Kansas just beat by fifty five. Also, UCF isn't the punching bag that a lot of people think they are. It's true statistically, this was a thirteen and six team entering Allen Field House, just a couple wins worse than the Jayhawks. They were fighting to go over five hundred in league play. I think that UCF gets a little more crap than they deserve because their UCF. In reality, they're having essentially the same season as Baylor, and nobody would say anything if Kansas quote only beat Baylor by four at home. I don't know, Maybe I'm stretching too far. Did this show you more things to be optimistic about ig r eg the offense scoring ninety one points, or did it show you more to be discouraged about? Which is the offense or the defense allowing eighty seven?
Speaker 2: This is going to sound really bizarre. That game left me feeling more discouraged than the Houston game, and it has less to do with the players than it does the coach. I believe that Bill self is going to run this team into the ground while playing three bigs. Harris gets big. Yeah, he's he's past that window, I think, but I honestly believe, and again just throwing this out there, I do not hate kJ Adams. I like kJ Adams. I think he's a great guy, and I think he's a good basketball player. However, I do not believe there's any universe in which he should be playing with two other big men, a non scoring point guard, and then one shooter on the floor at any time. And I think that is exactly what we are going to get.
Speaker 1: And yet that's exactly Yeah, that's exactly what we saw for a good stretch. And the players may be drinking a lot of the bell self kool aid, which you could do worse than drinking kul aid of a Hall of Fame coach, I guess. But they all after the game talked about how they felt it was really good, especially on the defensive end, which is interesting because again they gave up eighty seven points. This game got off to eight, correct, Yes, who again, might that may sound that that may that may not be super fair because ucfs better than their name would.
Speaker 2: Suggest, but a decent offense according to Ken Pom.
Speaker 1: They have a very good offense. According to Ken Palm, Yeah, they're a very good three point shooting team. They made fourteen of them in this game. Granted they were you know, on the last show, I said three point defense is more or less luck, and that you know everybody else likes to say, oh, well if you leave dudes wide open, well okay, I'll give you this one. And this game, Kansas left guys wide, wide, wide open all day, and especially Keishawn Hall, who dropped thirty four in this game. I think like they just flat out weren't gonna miss those open looks. In the first thirty minutes. This game got off to a ridiculous start. I think it was like twenty one to nineteen at the first TV timeout or something like that. Like it was a bizarro start. And then Dwan Harris not having Dwan Harris, it showed because they could not stop turning the ball over.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Dwan Harris is a really important piece of this team. I think that this team can be super successful if he's utilized with scoring options, kind of like it was in twenty twenty two.
Speaker 1: But that remains to be seen.
Speaker 2: We will see, and we'll see if Bill Soft chooses to play basketball in the Year of Our Lord twenty twenty five, or if he wants to play it the way that James and a Smith envision with unathletic white men and a lot of big guys.
Speaker 1: And big and the eighteen hundreds being like five foot, nine hundred and sixty five pounds.
Speaker 2: If you got over six feet tall in like the early nineteen hundreds, you were basically Will Chamberlain.
Speaker 1: Twenty twenty five. Cam would have been an All American at Kansas in the year eighteen nineteen.
Speaker 2: I might have my name in the Allen Field House rafters if I played it in nineteen oh five.
Speaker 1: Which is to see, that's what makes it even more hilarious when people are like, you can't put David McCormick's name up there. I know he helped win him a national title, but points the jerseys of the most lanky, unathletic people ever that just so happened to be born early enough to play the sport before we had all these great players.
Speaker 2: Like half the guys that were on the title teams from the Helms years ended up working for probably like Stanley Steamer. And we're telling David McCormick that he can't get in the rafters for hitting one of the most important shots in Kansas history.
Speaker 1: Correct, yes, thank you, Like everybody makes the Michael. Everybody makes the Michael Jordan's isn't as impressive as Lebron James jokes because he played against postal workers and like confestment bankers. But like, that's actually true about as you said, the guys from the helms teams, Like those guys had jobs that they went to after winning most Outstanding Player of the Final Four.
Speaker 2: Imagine getting cooked by some dude in like the Final four, and then your reward is you have to go and make one dollar pro hour working at a plumbing job. And hey, I can't imagine.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's not like the Great Depression is a decade in the future and coming right down the pipe or something.
Speaker 2: Oh man, that's just horrible. Talk about times to not be alive, that's probably the top.
Speaker 1: Speaking of times that you wouldn't believe that you were alive. And if I had told you this before the beginning of the season, imagine being told a few weeks ago that Kansas would beat UCF by fifty five points in two games, and you'd probably say, all right, well that's not super surprising. Preseason number one team against lowly in reputation UCF. But then you find out that in those fifty five point fifty five points to two games, and one of them was a four point squeaker at Allen Fieldhouse, wholly confusing.
Speaker 2: Goodness, gracious, that's math that your average average man might not be able to comprehend.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, maybe even above average speacause it's it's really as I'm watching Memphis just I have the Memphis to Laying game on the TV because there nothing else to watch I do. Yeah, have a as you mentioned, you mentioned that you have a vetted interas the Wink Wink in this game, and I was watching Memphis, Miss Alley dunks off the backboard, thinking like, man Cam could really use this one. He goes up for the alay oop. Oh nope, going the other way.
Speaker 2: Oh well, oh man checks out.
Speaker 1: Their uniforms alone. Should should warrant an enst the loss. I don't know how that would get handled on draft Kings, but avoided and deservedly. So we should lead off the KU recap with lineups here. kJ Adams was active. He was active. He was expected to get limited minutes, but he played twenty six of them, including all but seven of the last thirty three, Bill Self swapped between his bigs. He played all three at once, which we'll talk about throughout the evening. AJ Store did not play at all in the second half. Shaq Moor, who he thought was going to be the thirty five minutes point guard after it was announced Duan Harris would not start, he didn't play hardly at all in the second half either. They let Zeke Mayo and David koy who did have the hot hand shooting the ball handle the point position. What in the world do you make sense to this? Bill Self has at this point an eight man rotation. These are the eight guys that he's playing. However, it's super uber confusing because none of them are playing the amount of minutes that we thought they would play a J storer. You know, we were like praising Bell self a few weeks ago for not giving up on Store, and he totally did in this game. And then you see David Koit come off the bench and play his best game of the season. You see Shack Moore hardly play at all on a night wherever they didn't have their normal point guard, and also three bigs. What do you want to make of this?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I actually have no idea. It's bizarre not to see Shack Moore get a lot of run in this game, especially when you think of it. You know, the whole argument for the three big lineup is well, it helps them defensively, well maybe on the inside, but they gave up eighty seven points and UCF was getting tons of wide open threes and it's not like they were contested, they were just wide open three pointers. I don't know. I genuinely don't know. None of it makes a lot of sense to me. I'm not a haul off coach here, But at the same time, I just don't think any of the lineup choices made sense if kJ Adams, Hunter, Dickinson and Florid played the same time. I mean, you're like, what do you expect is going to happen there? I don't know. Well, I mean it's just bizarre.
Speaker 1: And the thing that I think makes this a challenge is normally you can look at a game and you can break it up into pretty even points and you can say, okay, so maybe the game at eighty seven points, but two thirds of those points came in this lineup, and it got a lot better when we put this lineup in you really can't do that. In this particular game. First eleven minutes of the game, or first nine minutes of the game, UCF scored twenty five points. Last nine minutes of the game. Of the half, UCF scored eighteen points, So they were pretty consistently on one throughout the first half. First ten minutes of the second half, UCF scored twenty two points. Last ten minutes of the second half, UCF scored twenty three points. So it's not like you can and say, oh, once they put that lineup on the floor, that really locked it down. They were consistently hitting shots throughout the night, and in those last ten minutes, UCF only made two of their fourteen threes, and they still managed to score as many points as they were scoring. When they were shooting the threes at a high clip, they were taking the ball right at Hunter Dickinson, similarly to the way we saw Jawan Roberts work him, we saw Keshawn Hall go to the cup against Badunga and Dickinson. Floory was pulled despite being Kansas's best all round player potentially in this game with a couple of minutes left in its high game because he could not do anything defensively, and that was when Self opted to play Adams, who did, to his credit, get a couple really nice defensive stands. I think that my prediction is they are going to start three bigs against Baylor. I have no idea how it's gonna work. Baylor is a is a team that's all guards. By the way, they play four four round one a lot. They have one guy that they play at the five, and they really only play the six ' ten guy whenever they're in bigger matchups. So I don't think that going for your three bigs against Baylor is the answer. But I think that's gonna be the five guys. Bell self starts because how can you not start Floory right now? And I think he wants to start kJ.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think he will never quit on kJ Adams. And also it's it's kind of frustrating in the sense I had a fan on Twitter that was interacting, not a fan of a guy on Twitter that was an interacting and maybe he is a fan of the show, you know, we'll call him a fan. I don't like this guy in a way he's a fan of the show. He sucks and he was talking to me, and he was like, obviously you're you hate kJ Adams. You know you're a hater. I was like, no, I actually really like kJ Adams, but Bill self is putting him in a place where he's not gonna succeed. It's acidine to put him on the floor with two other bigs. They don't even guard him half the time. So where where is the space and where the shots can come from? Maybe against Baylor or Works they have one other big. But again, I feel like this is a recipe for in the NCAA tournament. They might get boat raised and they don't have scores well.
Speaker 1: And in this case, kJ Adams did some good things. My eyeball thought he was a My eyeballs thought he was a total liability for about thirty six minutes, and then I thought he made some really nice plays in the back couple like and Bill self gets out there stretch. Bill self gets in the in the in the interview remember game and goes, wow, was he great? You know he missed a couple shots, but hey, that was just Russ. No, Billy misses those those shots all the time, all the time. I don't really know. Go ahead and read me the stat line of the bigs, and then we can kind of break down a rotation because self isn't an interesting predicament right now. Hunter Dickinson is his best score. Undoubtedly the team plays through Hunter Dickinson when they are going at their best. Florie Badunga is arguably his most talented player, quite possibly his most talented guy, and also far and away the highest NBA career potential and the quickest developing, the most rapidly improving player. You can't keep him off the floor at this rate either because of how he impacts the game. But they played the same position. And then you have kJ, a guy that undoubtedly does so many off the stat card things. His defense on that final couple possessions there's no stat for that, but that was a huge play for him, forcing a jump ball that wound up getting Kansas an extra position that doesn't show up in the box score. That's also a guy that any coach is gonna want to play a lot. The problem is all three of those guys are playing in the same part of the court, and their weaknesses underlyingly are all the same. Whenever none of them can shoot, and at times whenever they're not being fed the ball. It creates a lot of spacing problems.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it definitely does. Going to the bigs here, Hunter Dickinson had a strong close to the game. He had twenty four points. He had seven rebounds on seven for seventeen shooting. He also made ten of his twelve free throws, which is awesome. It was also nice see him make some clutch buckets in game that was pretty close for Badongo was dominant playing alongside of him, finishing with ten points, eleven rebounds, five blocks, and twenty nine minutes uh but in the last two minutes again of its high game, Self went for kJ Adams instead. He did have a solid stat line. He had twelve points, five rebounds of twenty six minutes. He went six for seven at the line, which is an area that he has really improved in, and played lockdown defense on a couple of the possessions down the stretch that helped Kansas win the game. As far as rotations go, I have absolutely no idea what Bill Self is doing, and we will see on Saturday when Kansas goes to Waco, which nothing bad has ever happened there.
Speaker 1: No, and by nothing bad you mean four straight years of lots of bad things.
Speaker 2: I go here into the Waco siege.
Speaker 1: Oh oh oh, you're going like actual Waco like things that matter.
Speaker 2: Yesh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, plenty of bad things have happened in Waco. It's just a very lousy city and you know, yuck. Okay, So here's my take on the on these bigs. Hunter Dickinson, h yes, you mentioned it was great to see him close. He has. He's drawn the iron from Kansas fans for not always coming to play whenever the chips are down. I thought he did a good job of this. But something occurred to me about Hunter Dickinson. Seven for seventeen from the floor with all of his shots being twos is a low percentage. This is a guy that I think a lot of us think of as a walking bucket. He's shooting the lowest percentage from the floor in his career while shooting fewer threes than he has attempted since his freshman season at Michigan. He is missing more twos.
Speaker 2: Hold on that screams spacing problems. By the way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was gonna ask you what the reason is why he is he's having more of these seven for seventeen. You look back at the last handful of games they go up to Iowa State, a game you really need him, he's three for ten. Does go seven for ten at TCU whenever he's playing with And it is kind of interesting the games that Flory was just playing, the games that kJ didn't play Hunter Dickinson was six for eleven, seven of ten and twelve of nineteen, like and then the games with kJ Hunter seven for seventeen, three for ten against Iowa State, seven for sixteen against Cincinnati, five for fifteen against Arizona State.
Speaker 2: Have you ever noticed too, Like with kJ Adams in the game of Hunter Dickers And he tends to get a lot of these shots where the ball essentially gets passed to him while he's cutting to the basket, and then he has to put up kind of like a half floater while almost like going towards the lane like he's you know, like ten feet away, and it's like a really awkward kind of like put up like put shot.
Speaker 1: I don't know how to way more of those, way more of those than he attempted at Michigan. And I can picture exactly what you're saying, Like he didn't do that last year either. Like it's these that is the mark of a guy who is athletic and can can score from any angle and can jump out of the gym. That's not Hunter. And yes, he is much more off balanced, and we're seeing fewer hook shots, which is his specialty, than we usually do. And yeah he is He's not the automatic bucket that he has been. Still a very good player. Sixteen points and ten rebounds a game and worth of fifty percent from the floor. He is an excellent all round player. But I think it is fair to question which lineup is best for him, and that's what I would do. That's priority one for me. If I'm the coaches, Hunter is our best scorer. We're gonna play through him. We need to surround him with the best lineup for him, and I think that is Florrie alongside him. Flori is a monster, by the way, does two or three space alien things a game. He just struggles defensively against the athletic drivers like a key Shawn Hall. They were pulling him out away from the pain a little bit and got him stuck in no man's land and it almost burned him. kJ easily the best defender of those three. But whenever you're talking about offensive ability. You know, there there are so many plays throughout the course of a game where he flails for a rebound and just doesn't come down with it. Yeah, and I just can't help but wonder he did finish with twelve as you said, in this game, he scored twelve points. I got a couple of goaltend calls and then made free throws. Major improvement of his game is the free throws, which you said, But but yeah, I'm like, okay, Like, you know, he made three baskets, Like I know Hunter will get you double digit baskets half the time. And you know Flora can throw down a lot of dunks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and a Hunter Dickinson with Floria, but Don Good next to him is a very dangerous lineup for Kansas. And the thing with kJ it's tough because I think he is the perfect mold of a guy that's like an energizer bunny comes off the bench fifteen to twenty minutes a game.
Speaker 1: Yep, that's what I would have to be futilized. He's Mitch Lightfoot buzz r. He is what Mitch Lightfoot was cracked up to be correct. Yes, on steroids. If he was put into that twelve to eighteen minutes, a game role where he comes out whenever you know. The Cincinnati game was a perfect example of a game you really want kJ out there. That is a scrappy, ugly game where neither team's gonna shoot well and you know that there's gonna be two or three jump balls or dive on the floor loose ball situations. You gotta get the bulk of him if you want to squeak out a win. That's the kJ game. A game like this ninety one to eighty seven, I'm not so sure that's the kJ game, though. I will Gary Bell self credit. He knew exactly when to put him in the game and paaram on Keishaan Hall and get a big stop.
Speaker 2: Yeah he did. And I think I think it also kind of sucks for kJ Adams in a sense because and we've said this throughout the entirety of this season. I think you guys said last year too. We love kJ Adams like in terms of a guy, and as I think he's in we all think he's a good basketball player.
Speaker 1: But yeah, it's very good back into the.
Speaker 2: Spot where he's like people are gonna rag on him and rag on him almost as like a scapegoat because he's just being put in the spot where he's not meant to be playing. And again, that comes down to the coach.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it does. Absolutely. I've seen the things that people have said about kJ Adams are not things that would be being said if his coach didn't play him as much as he did. kJ Adams isn't the one deciding to go play over Floria Madoon Gun Like, that's not his decision.
Speaker 2: Bill is also not gonna He's also not gonna go. Yeah, guys, look, I think I should be playing once to help the team, right. I've seen people say it like get out of here.
Speaker 1: Because yeah, And the same damn people who say that kJ should bench himself are the same ones that say this team doesn't have a heart, Like can you imagine? Can you imagine who was the Colts quarterback this year that said, yeah, I was too tired, I had to take myself out of a game, Like how did that go? Like that's the last thing that these guys are ever gonna say, because that looks yeah, good goal their competitors. We expect all three of these guys to play Floria, But Doonga has been so good that I think that Bill self has no choice but to keep him zarting and keep him playing twenty five plus minutes a game. Flora needs to play twenty five to thirty minutes a game unless he's in serious foul trouble. He just impacts the game in so many different ways.
Speaker 2: Agree. I also think, if you, if you could, if you can give me a crystal ball right now, if I could place a wager on this, I would in Kansas's season ending NCAA tournament loss, which inevitably will happen at some point this year.
Speaker 1: I believe spoiling around a thirty two coming right up.
Speaker 2: Probably Florie's gonna have three fouls in the first half, and he's gonna.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yep, Undoubtedly it's gonna be because Flora gets in a foul trouble and kJ has to try to replicate that, and fans will get mad ATKJ, despite he didn't put himself in that size.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Oh man, I've already so Zeke Mayo.
Speaker 1: As we shift gears to the back court. Here, twenty four points eight of twenty from the floor. That is six of ten from three, which is awesome, two of ten from two, which is a really weird outlier of a line of zer Kansas shot well from the floor. H Zeke Mayo nine rebounds, five assists thirty eight minutes Without him, I'm not sure this is a five hundred team. He is so good. And we ask every show where was this coming out of south or coming out of freaking Lawrence High School? Like, how did they whatever? I won't, I don't know, don't, I don't know, I don't know. Yeah, he's shooting with a ton of volume. By the way, Zeke Mayo has only shot the ball nine less times than Hunter Dickinson this year, which I don't think is something any of us saw. Zeke Mayo has shot two hundred and forty six times, which is second on the team. Nobody else besides Hunter Dickinson has shot more than one hundred and sixty times. So not only is he shooting a lot, he's shooting way more than any other guard on the roster, which I think is that's a wild stat My argument for that is that's a good thing.
Speaker 2: I kind of agree. I also think that this team might go as far as Zeke Mayo can take them. I guess Mayo and Hunter Dickinson, so fire Away Man please.
Speaker 1: Yep, Zeke Mayo goes two for nine shooting threes, you're probably losing to a good sixth seed. Or if yeah, maos six to ten, they can be a good two seed, like they.
Speaker 2: Can oh yeah, they can play with anybody, but it's definitely gonna be a game. Like the recipe for a Kansas March loss is it always comes down to three things. Number One, somebody goes nuclear from three. That's a given. Number Two, Bill self Barry's a primary big man on the bench. With two or three first half fouls, they fall into it every time I can't climb back. And then number three, at some point during the game, we all realize that Kansas has not made a three in the last ten minutes and that continues for the rest of the game.
Speaker 1: Yep, they get outscored, like like by twenty seven on threes. Like that's However, we look at that game and we say, wow, they made five more twos and they drew more fouls, but oh, what's this. They were two for twenty from three and the other team made nine out of thirty every single one d That was the most ridiculous. I think like that they've lost the more improbable teams than Oregon. But Oregon's performance was so insanely high above their means for that game. I mean, look at the last ninety seconds that half, and I listened.
Speaker 2: To during that game.
Speaker 1: I would have thrown more than that. Yeah, I listened to Hawk Talk. Bill Self was not on it today. It was instead Norm Roberts, And they asked, and they said, do you have what's your biggest regret in your entire time as Bill Self's assistant coach? He said, I wish that twenty seven team, twenty seventeen team could have got to a Final four. That was the squad that I hurt the most that they didn't get to do it. And I think that the general consensus among fans is similar. I think that's the one a lot of fans went back.
Speaker 2: Oh, I was so sad over that team.
Speaker 1: They were They were that close, and they would have had to play North Carolina in the finals, who wound up plin anything, and they were one seed, like that was the final four matchup. It's not like the twenty eleven team that would have had an eight seed and a five seed or whatever it was, a three seed whatever it was. Uh yeah, but but still that is U That is insane. As I'm watching Sports Center now and Vanderbilt had a on the The Vanderbilt women had a freshman score fifty three points to night in a game, which is the most that any D one women's basketball freshman has ever scored in the history of college basketball.
Speaker 2: Okay, but if if she scored fifty plus points, but Angel Reese didn't make a comment about it being unfair that she didn't get the same attention, did.
Speaker 1: It really, Angel Rees? Man, if that was Angel how many field goal attempts would it take Angel Reese to get to fifty three points?
Speaker 2: I mean, if it's the layups, we're talking one hundred plus.
Speaker 1: Because every single time it's and the box.
Speaker 2: Saw yeah, I'm sorry. I saw a tweet today and it was like the mcdowald's happy als now has a new Angel Reese toy and it was just like a brick.
Speaker 1: And you are cam is like at one of Angel Reese's biggest critics.
Speaker 2: I do not like Angel Rees. I've never liked her. She kind of reminds me of Sid from Ice Age, both affltic abilities. And you live in Chicago too, you should be rocking her jersey Oh, that's right, she's in the area. Maybe I'll run into Row one day. If I run into her, I'm gonna ask her to throw something into like my shopping cart at your grocery store, just because of No, she'll miss and then I'll make her pick it up.
Speaker 1: Oh she will, because then she'll get like this. She'll get a rebound and then miss again and get another rebound, and then finally it'll go in.
Speaker 2: Well, and then I'll remind her that's why Caitlin Clark won a Rookie of the Year. I'll probably get punched in the face, I'll win a civil lawsuit, and I'll retire. I have a great business plan. I just have to enact it.
Speaker 1: Hey, I don't know how much you think you're winning in that civil lawsuit if you get three years of her salary and probably would only a couple a couple of months worth of renting in the Chicago area.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they do operate at a loss every single year. I forgot about that work.
Speaker 1: And on that note, what do we make of Kayu's deep They gave up eighty seven points UCF made for Okay, I can do that. I am good for something and it's not ass, but you know it is the ass drop. Ken Bom didn't like this game very much. They dropp Kansas a couple of spots. Fourteen of thirty six was UCS line from three. They went two for nine over the last ten minutes. That coincides with the kJ Adams playing more Kansas. Also, you know we said this was a game. This is a loss last year, by the way, because last year Kansas didn't have three point shooting to keep up win their opponents for making threes. They didn't make more than UCF They went ten of twenty one finished minus twelve on three point point points from the three point line. But I'll tell you what, minus twelve is a hell of a lot better than the minus twenty seven that this would have been last year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true, Nick, Timberlake would have shot about twelve times and only four of them might have hit the rim.
Speaker 1: Speaking of Angel Reyes Bricks, Yes to the neck Timberlake experience. Tell me about tell me about the point guards.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Tawan Harris who has the ankles. And actually I can't make the joke I was about to make because I'd get fired. Dwan Harris did not play because of an ankle injury that happened in practice. Bill self said he hopes to have him back for Baylor on Saturday. In his place, Shaq Moore played, who did not score and only played twelve minutes. Pretty bizarre. David Quoite starred as point guard off the bench, scoring twelve points. He went four to eight for deep in twenty eight minutes and then also segue here to Ryland Griffin. He played twenty six minutes. He only had four points, also had four fouls on two for five shooting bizarre, and Aj Store was over three. He turned it over twice seven minutes and he did not blame him the second half. What do you make of that?
Speaker 1: That's a lot aj storer selves getting close to giving up. He's he's about to tap out of this one, and I'm not seeing out.
Speaker 2: I'm not a transfer portal by now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that Store Sam was going was the GoPro after this year, and there's just yeah, I don't know how this will work. Both Store and Griffin can come back, and you you have to wonder how happy either one of them is with their roles. Griffin is obviously gonna have value. It's gonna be games it's wild. If you had been told they were gonna score ninety one points, especially after Saturday's performance, I think you would have bet on Griffin playing a lot more of an impact than he did. But you know, sometimes whenever you're a three point specialist, there's gonna be games like this. The guy I want I want to highlight is Koit because David Koit took a lot of crap from ku Twitter earlier in the year about how he shouldn't be on this roster, he doesn't belonging to be on a power five team, and I defended him saying that Bill self, for all his transfer portal woes over the years, Bill Self correctly identified David Koit as that's the guy I need to be an experienced leader, point guard that can handle the ball and shoot the three occasionally from the bench. I know Cooit hasn't shot the ball super well in the conference play. Actually he shot it quite terribly in conference play, as he only had two. He was two for seventeen and conference play entering this and then goes four to eight. But this is why you get a David Koit. This is why you need depth. This is why a bench helps you have to have a point guard that can dribble and not turn it over off the bench whenever you're already having point guard shortage issues. And not only that, but he went out there and he made four threes. I thought he played excellent and I thought that Bill self should definitely get commended for his transfer portal woes. He identified the exact role that he needed to fill with Quoit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he knocked it out of the park with Koit. He's someone that Kansas has lacked in the last few years, kind of like when they tried to get Charlie Moore and he flopped.
Speaker 1: Have made last year, David Koit would have been such a helpful piece on last year's team to plug.
Speaker 2: In play agreed. Yeah, No, he was a piece of last year's team missed. And I think we said this earlier in the year. I mean, he's gonna go out and win Kansas a couple of games, and or maybe Bill self even said that, And I think you can make the case that he kind of did here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he absolutely did. And people are gonna be like, well, the guy that every team needs isn't Koit, It's a Kevin Durant off the bench. Well, whenever you're getting a freaking August and you have to find a backup point guard, Like, who else do you want? I thought that this worked as well as it realistically could have. Yeah, this is a loss without quoit, and he's had moments that he's helped them, if not win, almost win games like the Missouri comeback. Was him spearheading that charge. Like, yeah, he's a valuable player. You want him to play about twelve minutes a game, but he has the ability where crap, we're missing a point guard and we need offense. Okay, he's a guy that you trust to go play twenty twenty five minutes. Last year, when they need a timberlight to play twenty five minutes a game, you knew that they were f't not so much now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really really nice to have depth on this team. It is a really comforting feeling.
Speaker 1: I don't have anything to say about aj Store. He's running out of time and I've never seen fit. I've never seen a guy hoist so many slow developing jumpers that you are stunned if any of them go in and.
Speaker 2: They look terrible to you. The rotate on the ball looks horrible. Yeah, it's it's a horrible fit. It makes me wonder why he was brought to Kansas. I understand why. I mean, he's obviously a good player. He had a really good career at Wisconsin, but in terms of the lineup fit and with Bill self, it's just it is a nightmare.
Speaker 1: Well, we knew that he was going to need to be We talked about this on the preseason show. We said, he's not a great three point shooter, he's not a great rebounder, he's not a great passer. He has one thing that he does really, really well, and that's drive to the cup and get the ball in the hoop. And he looks interested in doing anything. But there was like a two minute sequence in the first half here where I thought he did a good job attacking the basket. They didn't go in, but I thought he did a good job attacking it. Then he hoisted a long range jay turned it over a couple times, and that was curtains for the rest of the game. And normally we get irritated at Bill self for having too quick of a hook. Considering how this game was going, the defense was a struggle enough, he would have been a total liability they could. He was right not to play him, But yeah, I don't know. There's gonna be games where against the tea of the world where you'd like to think just about any combination of players will overwhelm them, where he might play well. But Store is now zero for nine from the floor in the last two games. Which is that's just jelling. Nope, it's not gelling, and it might just be too late. Final question of the recap here. So their next three games for Kansas are all interesting. Ones at Baylor is a coin flip on ken Pom. Iowa State at home matchup wise projects to be very close, although you have optimism. It's at Allen Field House hasn't been the greatest thing this year, but home game against a really good team also a coin flip for Ken Pom. Then they go on the road and play at Kansas State, not a particularly great team, but they have one two in a row, and you know that the octagon will be rocking when Kansas goes there three games that could go either way. Pick their record. What are they in their next three games?
Speaker 2: Do we know if Dwan Harris is playing.
Speaker 1: They made it sound like they made it sound like Harris is probably gonna play on Saturday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, I h boy, I don't want to say I think they go through you. No, I wow saying.
Speaker 1: Wow, Okay, I think if I had a gun to my temple and it goes off on Saturday, if I'm wrong, I think I would say two and one. That seems like the.
Speaker 2: Smart I think it's safer. Yeah, but I think you.
Speaker 1: Could argue that they should be the favorite in all three games. Okay, how about this. If you were told right now they go one and two and you have to get the win, right, what would you bet on the win being?
Speaker 2: I actually think they win at home against Iowa Sight.
Speaker 1: No, that's the right one. It's you take the home even though Iowa State's the best of those three teams.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I also I'm a little like Kansas State is playing really good. They've also played atrocious team, so there's a massive Titanic sized grain of salt in this. But they appear to have clicked a little bit, and they always get up for Kansas. Kansas only beat Case State at home by a single ditches. I can't remember the score.
Speaker 1: I think they got it to ten with light free throws, but yeah, it was a dog more than you thought it would be.
Speaker 2: So, I mean, I am a little concerned that they might lose in Manhattan, but again, you know what, It's February, Billsof's teams tend to click right about now. I think they win at least two of those games.
Speaker 1: I like it. I like the call, and we'll see what we pick here later with the Baylor game coming up place they haven't won in a while. In this game, Kansas forty four percent from the floor and forty eight percent from three. It's not all the time that you see them shoot a better percent from three than two, and they did eighty six percent of the line. They continue to be very good there, plus twelve on the glass. That was awesome, especially considering UCF didn't miss a lot of shots. That's even harder to do. And they did turn it over twelve times. They didn't play without their point guard. And it seems like Kansas has a thing where in games wherever they have double digit turnovers, seventy percent of them are in the first half. It seems like they usually figure it out and turn the ball over less in the closing stretches. Except for one game the other day. Yeah, soundboard ends working. Soundboard is working as well as that, as as k you did that day ask.
Speaker 2: Yep?
Speaker 1: Okay, at least I got that.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: I mean, you seef by four. You seef better than we thought, Kansas. Yeah, you put a win in your pocket. Whatever, I'm good with it. They gotta they gotta start making up for some of the ones they lost, though, and Saturday would be a good place to start. Yep, let's talk about it. Big twelve games, Cam, I think the easiest way to do this. Whenever there's only two of us, I'll shout the score and you tell me what happened.
Speaker 2: Oh boy, let's let's get after it here.
Speaker 1: Big responsibilities with games this exciting. This one actually was worthy of some of some popping up here. Arizona eighty six, number three, Iowa State seventy five in overtime, and wow, what a job it was by Arizona to get it there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm going a little offscript here in the game that makes absolutely zero sense, a lot like Caleb Loves selection. The Cyclones led by three with less than three seconds left. They only to see, only to see Caleb Love, who at the moment was one for ten of the night from three, splashing a sixty foot buzzer beater to force overtime, because why not. Caleb Love then apparently forgot that he couldn't shoot for the prior forty minutes of the game and went off and overtime. With twenty two points total, he lifted the Wildcats to a win. Arizona is now eight and one in outright possession of second place. Big turnaround for Tommy Lloyd.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we knew they had a talented team, and they tacked a lot of bad luck losses in the non con and they've had a lot of good luck losses here in case this one isn't enough to show you that Caleb Love is Jamis Winston minus the off the field problems. He does things that make you go, oh my gosh, he's one of the best players I've ever seen, and then he does he's probably better at his craft than Winston is at his But then he'll get on unbelievable. You just got to live with it, like he's ridiculous. Really tough back half of the schedule for Arizona. They have won some nice road wins this year, and this was a great win. No doubt they do have a return game at Iowa State coming up. They have to go at Kansas. They still haven't played Houston, they still haven't played Texas Tech. And they have to go at Baylor and at BYU, who's quietly having a really nice season at home. So tough back ten coming up for them, but they've definitely righted the ship. Iowa State will be fine. They've lost two games in the final second of regulation this year and that's a lousy flight home, I'm sure after this, but still a really good team. I think they're going to be better than Arizona in the standings at the end of the year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agreed. Crazy, crazy game to watch.
Speaker 1: Somebody who will not be better in the standings. Well, either of these teams, especially one of them, Arizona State seventy Colorado with lots of LS sixteen to eight. I don't have any notes in this game except for Colorado's record.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Ryan quite legitimately put oh to nine. Is the only bullet point here, so Colorado.
Speaker 1: There were like four hundred souls in the stands at this game. It was a close game down the stretch. I watched Colorado try to tie it. They did not, and like six fans stood up and were like, yeah, I guess it's time to go now.
Speaker 2: If you find yourself in the crowd at a Colorado basketball game in the Year of Our Lord twenty twenty five, I think at least half of the people in the stands are just kids in diversion programs that are trying to stay off drugs, that are forced to be here. That's all right, and.
Speaker 1: Having them watch Colorado basketball with a rooting interest is not a great way to keep them drugs.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Colorado hasn't won a game in a very long time. Remember whenever they beat Yukon and Maui by a point. Whenever you can of a loss, was that for Yukon? It was bad, But also it was fluky and Yukon did not care at all. So the last team that Colorado beat was Bellermine on the Saturday.
Speaker 2: Before mist Goodness, they went the way not that long ago. Yes, they were. I saw their Their college golf team was in tournaments that I played in when I was at a D two school.
Speaker 1: Here are Colorado's nine wins. You tell me if one stands out. Eastern Washington, Northern Colorado, cal State, Fullerton, Harvard, Yukon, Pacific, Colorado State, South, Dakota State, beller Mine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, cal State Fullerton was a quad one one, I'm pretty sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And up until uh Houston won at Allen Field House, Colorado had more quad one wins than Houston did.
Speaker 2: That's now definitely so sad.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna read you Kansas's last eleven Big twelve games and you tell me which ones they lose. Ready, yep, I just this just made me like, it doesn't have a lot to do with Colorado, but it made me think Kansas's Big twelve road schedule isn't too bad. Let's see if that's right. At Baylor win or loss, when Iowa State at home, when at Kansas State, when Colorado win, I hope at Utah win. Wow, Cam's got them on a five game streak at BYU loss, Oklahoma State win at Colorado revenge game win, Texas Tech at home win, at Houston loss, and Arizona and Senior Day win. All right, so you have them winning, you have them fifteen and five like that's.
Speaker 2: That would be great, that's a great Actually, you know what, if they can get to fifteen and five, that is a great resume for March. I think, realistically, if I could change one thing, I think they might lose to eh Man. They're just they're so due to winning Waco.
Speaker 1: Baylor and BYU. If they win one of those two road games, there's a real path to getting the fifteen wins.
Speaker 2: Agreed, Yeah, I just it's I don't know, we'll see. I'm trying to talk myself into believing a little bit.
Speaker 1: Just wait till they lose in Colorado and then we really burned the show.
Speaker 2: To the ground.
Speaker 1: Speaking of sort speaking of BYU and Baylor. They played this week and it was a good one. BYU ninety three, Baylor eighty nine. Also in overtime.
Speaker 2: Yeah, twenty three points on eight per eight from the floor, including four threes from Canan catchings. What are these names in this conference, guys, Baylor, they are exceptionally mid. It definitely will suck when Kansas loses there. I did not write this note, by the way, but they're also losing to Provos, so at least we have that consolation prize.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Provo is allowed fun environment to watch a game. Also, there was a bunch of random, not very Mormon stuff happening here. Snoop Dogg was playing music overhead, and then there was Connor McGregor pumping up the BYU student section with b why you chance. Still don't know why he was there, but it looked fun, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Not the guy that you would have expected to be in Mormontown.
Speaker 2: No, I'm pretty sure he violates most of their tenant the principles of Mormonism.
Speaker 1: As does Snoop Dogg, which they top from playing the music. Yeah. Utah sixty nine, Cincinnati sixty six.
Speaker 2: Gross, Yeah, disgusting game. Youths turn it over nineteen times. Cincinnati offense sucks. They can't make anything. Gabe Manson had eighteen. Utah is four and five. Good for the utes, better than we think we may have.
Speaker 1: I don't know what we said at the beginning of the year, but we may have tabbed Utah and UCF as the worst two teams in this conference, and they are.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what we said, and it's not what we said, it's what you said, and it was you. Ryan Landrith said, I am not going to pick Utah once this year.
Speaker 1: That's true, and I don't know if I have. If we're being honest, and they're they're hanging in there, and I think I also had Kansas State doing really well in the conference, so we're just, yeah, we all know, oh yeah, yeah, it was a good one. I guess I should have had this team winning number six. Houston sixty three, West Virginia forty nine. God, they just keep holding big twelve teams to these horrible point totals.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's almost like they're pretty good. The Cougars are nine to zero after getting seventeen from LJ. Cryer, who has been in college since the George W. Bush administration. West Virginia's leading score was Joseph Yesifu. Yes, that Joseph Yesafu, who could not do anything for Kansas. He had nine points and nine points out of their forty nine point total is the equivalent of scoring twenty points in a normal game. West Virginia is two and five in their last seven after starting two and oh they kind of suck and somehow beat Kansas in Kansas. I'm still very upset about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the one you want back, right, Like, if that game doesn't happen, If that game doesn't happen, Kansas is seven and two, and they're right there in the thick of the conference race, but instead, you know, two all losses that you really shouldn't have lost either one of them, and a road loss out of place that everyone loses at like they are a couple flips of the coin away from being nine and one and or eight and one. I'm not saying that's really how it works, because previous Kansas teams may have found ways to get it done, but that's that's where they are, sneakily sneaking their way into the top three of this conference. Is this team number twenty two Texas tex seventy one TCU fifty seven?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I can never remember the guy's name that is a head coach there, but whatever his name is, can really coach eighteen and fourteen for JT. Toppin? Is that Obi Toppin's brother? Question Mark very well?
Speaker 1: Might be Let me look that up.
Speaker 2: Curious. Also, can we be done with Jamie Dixon? Yeah, the dude sucks. The horn Frogs are ten and ten. TCUs kind of like that guy that's sort of like decent looking and has a girlfriend that's not very good looking, and they're scared to get rid of that girlfriend because he's like, I don't know if I can do any better, dude, just cut the ties. It's time to go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're not happy anymore. That sometimes you'll you'll find pop on.
Speaker 2: Christian Mingle far mony.
Speaker 1: We meets plenty of fish in the tea pond right to. That's that's that's that's funny. Uh. TCU is a good look in college town? Aren't they like that? That that's a good campus?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I think so, that's what That's what Dick would always say. And since he's told me that, I I have not found many examples that would say otherwise.
Speaker 2: I well, fair enough, I mean I feel yeah, you know what, I I don't know much about TCU a matter of fact, don't even it's in Fort Worth, Texas, right it is? That's right, Yes, that's all I know about TCU.
Speaker 1: Have you ever been to Texas?
Speaker 2: Uh, I've fallen into Texas. I've never done anything in Texas.
Speaker 1: I'm going to Texas.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: So my wife and I like taking little road trips where we'll drive to place eight hours away and then fly back. We were in a car and drive it around and fly back or whatever, basically because I don't want to spend the money on two flights. But I also don't want to spend that much time in the car twice, and neither one of us, despite being lifetime Johnson County, Kansas residents, neither one of us have ever been to Oklahoma or Texas. So we're like, Okay, gonna go see the red dirt and see what's in Dallas, I guess, and yes, not very I think dollas we're saying is Fort Worth. Dallas is a cool city. They got a lot of stuff there. It's become incredibly over trafficked. But yeah, that's TCU is the closest Big twelve school there. I'll go see how things are doing there and report back. I'll report back on the attractives campus. How to answer your question, Yes, Obi Toppin's younger brother is j T. Thompin, and their coach is Grahama Castlin, who's quietly maybe the Big twelve coach of the year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's really good. That team is actually a good team.
Speaker 1: Good team, good home court advantage, and they have that random ass home loss to the UCF. They could be eight and one right now, which is pretty wild. Schedules about to get a lot tougher for them. Speaking of tougher, schedules on the horizon, Kansas State eighty five, Oklahoma State fifty seven. I mean, you know you'll you'll take it all sands form they've they've absolutely deserved.
Speaker 2: Don't wet the fighting your own tanks at hot as they apparently are getting hot. Sore his feet because he just kicked off the shoes washing eighteen points O Brendon thousand. The Wildcats have won two straight. Don't call it a streak. They're doing They're doing Kansas State things. And this is where I inserted the George W. Bush meme of him getting alerted to the terrorist attacks saying, my mister President, I come to warn you that Kansas State is rounding into Forum just in time for Kansas to come to Manhattan.
Speaker 1: Absolutely great, It's exactly what everybody wants to hear, right, But in all honestly, they beat they beat two horrible teams at home. I guess West Virginia beating West Virginia home is not something that everybody can say that they did there you go, but you know they beat they they did beat West Virginia home. They beat Oklahoma State at home, who's lousy. And then they go to ams this weekend well, see how that goes. Good luck, big dwell standing. Number one. I do not think it'll go well, especially off the loss. Number one is Houston they are nine to zero.
Speaker 2: Number two Arizona eight and one one.
Speaker 1: Tied for third. Somehow this is true. Are Iowa State and the Red Raiders of Texas Tech, both seven and two.
Speaker 2: All alone in number fifth is underperforming Kansas at six and three.
Speaker 1: Right behind them their next opponent and the team that's probably gonna beat them at home are in a few weeks Baylor and BYU. The Christian schools, they're five.
Speaker 2: And four, number eight West Virginia, UCF and Utah at four and five.
Speaker 1: I guess BYU is definitely not a Christian school. I was thinking TCU they are a Mormon school whatever. The religious schools, theology schools. Yeah, eleventh place are three schools that, if we're being honest, none of them need their head coach. K State, TCU, and Arizona State are all three and six and nowhere near the NCAA tournament.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all those teams could be coached by a Plunger and they'd be just the same. Number fourteen in Cincinnati, Oklahoma State two and seven, and then.
Speaker 1: Way down by the south at the bottom is Colorado with nine l's. I'm running out of spaces to put the ls. And it's not getting any better because Colorado's next games are on the road, not exactly against powerhouses, but still road games not great. And then they get Houston at home, and then they go to Allenfield House. Oh and thirteen coming right up for a Tad Boyle gooflows. Yeah, I guess that's also. Yeah, there you go, and for Tad Boyle, all right, this has.
Speaker 2: To be it. He's gonna have a great career coaching the Guangdong Tigers.
Speaker 1: I think the Gwandong Tigers can do better. He's been coaching at Colorado since twenty ten, and he's had a good career there. They've made the tournament four or five times, Like this is this is a team that this is a coach that's had some success. But I don't know how you can look your donors in the eyes and say we're signing up for more of this guy after they go over money. Oh yeah, that's the answer to everything. Other games. Who gets plenty of anile money is Duke and the ACC is a three horse race with the number two Blue Devils sitting at the top. They are ten and oh they have the longest winning streaking college basketball right now. They beat North Carolina State behind twenty eight points from Cooper Flag in a game that had everything. Their center chugged too much gatorade and threw up on the court. They had to stop the game for it. That somebody passed out in the student section and they had to stop the game to wheel that poor kid out of the out of there. They're fine now. We mentioned on the last show so we can make jokes about it. They just watched Kansas's ums and yeah, they're totally fine. Weird game won by the Blue Devils, much like the rest. Right behind the Blue Devils is Clemson and number twenty one Louisville. They're nine and one in league play. Louisville has gone from six and five to sixteen and five by beating ten straight unranked teams. Jay Williams said that he has John Shire higher then Pat Kelcey on his Coach of the Year ranks. And the literal only reason that you can say that's the thing is if is if if you go there's my gosh, there's no other way to do that. Hey, I'm watching Sports Center right now and Jared Goff on, Yeah, he won the past Precision Challenge that the Games Cam that's as good as at Washington.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I turned on Twitter. I logged into Twitter or whatever, and I'm scrolling through and it's like Jared Goff is putting on quite their performance in the cancun or wherever it is Pro Bowl, and I was like, Man, that's the most depressing thing that I've read today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's what happened. The NFC is kicking ass here, which makes up for the lack of Super Bowls they've won against Patrick Mahomes the last half decade.
Speaker 2: Yeah, probably going to continue the same thing, oh Man. Running down time to build an NCAA case for the tournament is unranked North Carolina, coached by a life sized I don't know, plunger, Hubert Davis. They lost at Pittsburgh to fall the seventh in the ACC to six and four. They were just thirteen to nine overall. They have zero wins against teams that are currently ranked. Oh my goodness, AC Davis.
Speaker 1: The ACC is so awful too, Like half of those teams have already basically been in eliminated from the NCAA conversation. There are some bad teams in the ACC. Like, the worst Power five team not named to Paul that I've seen in a while is Miami. There and there Georgia Tech. Freaking what who else is in that conference? That's just buns. Boston College hasn't.
Speaker 2: Been anything since forgot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the only thing I can I know about Boston College basketball is that's where the guy cried when he said, I just liked how our teammates could go out to eat after they had that completely winless season. Remember that the kid, the kid crying after they lost every conference game. Yeah, that's the only thing I know about them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I uh, it's funny. I looked up Miami basketball and the picture that came up was a plumber's buck crack. And this.
Speaker 1: They haven't wont I told you. I told you they have more coaches than wins in the last like like fifteen games or something like that. When they up and quit, that's that's wild. In the Big Ten, we don't have much to say here, but number seven Michigan State. They keep streaking. They've won the thirteen in a row. They beat Joe Biden's favorite state. For those of you who don't know what that state is, well, Number ten and Michigan sit a couple of games behind them. I I quickly steamrolled there before Cam could make political conversations because in the inside of the main podcast, we are all very happy with the direction that the country is going up.
Speaker 2: What I'm not gonna say anything. I have no words to say.
Speaker 1: But we're also not gonna say it's worse than it was under the last administration, because again on this podcast, we take no political affiliation, especially not whenever we have we have drops on the show like this, get that son of a.
Speaker 2: Now oh man, that was.
Speaker 1: That's Bill self watching aj Storre turn it over twice in seven minutes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I think a store might get locked away in a basement if we're not careful, we might actually we actually might. I hear from him again, didn't they say guant Guantanano Bay is.
Speaker 1: Opening back up? I would be careful if I may Bill Bill there, He's got to be very very careful.
Speaker 2: And make sure that citizenship is all good to go.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: Saint Mary's who is unranked and desperate for quality wins in a league that there aren't any four quality wins. Went on a job, dropping thirty to zero runs spanning thirteen minutes. They flipped a two point deficit into a twenty eight point lead. Also was against Santa Claus Santa Clara, so not sure that counts much. The Gills are not in over the WCC. Meanwhile, Gonzaga, who is currently unranked, their two games behind them after taking revenge out on Oregon State beating them by thirty eight points.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it looks like another one of those Gonzaga has to win if Gonzaga wants to win the conference, which doesn't matter as much anymore because their streak died last year. They better hope Saint Mary's chokes. I bet that won't happen. Saint Mary's never they choked. There it goes again. Gonzaga won the league like every single year that happens. Oh, well, teams play this weekend and yeah, that'll be probably not very entertaining. It was another round of entertaining games in the Southeastern Conference. Is number one Auburn. They keep on winning. They won at number one LSU or they number one Auburn one at LSU number twenty three Old Miss helped Chris Beard beat his own or his old I'm having a tough time he there it is, beat his old Texas team by three and number four Alabama attribute to the Brandon Miller years, picked up an impressive eighty eight to eighty four win at number four Mississippi State. Great. Yeah, great schools here in the SEC. Poorter Moser's lousy Oklahoma team also picked up another loss by losing at number thirteen Texas A and M hy wouldn't they There are ten ranked teams in this league, unbelievably, but everybody is fighting for third place in the conference because Auburn and Alabama exist.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pretty weird. The biggest winner of this week was number twelve Kentucky. They went into Thompson Boilet Bowling and beat number eight Tennessee seventy eight to seventy three. The Wildcats shot fifty percent. They made twelve threes on one of college basketball's best defenses, with eighteen points coming from Colby Pray they have. By the way, Kentucky has his only team in the country I saw earlier today to have four top ten wins on the season.
Speaker 1: Wow, yeah, that checks out.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: They also were aided by the fact that Tennessee missed thirty four threes, quit taking them. Stop shooting the ball whenever you missed your thirty three of the night and the game's still close. Good Lord. Speaking of good Lord, do you remember Cam there was a time when Georgetown was good. I don't know if you remember that.
Speaker 2: I do remember that very vaguely.
Speaker 1: I believe the last memory of Georgetown being good that I have is Florida Gulf Coast dunk you just completely ending.
Speaker 2: Actually, yeah, I think that ended their entire program.
Speaker 1: And if you remember, Georgetown that year was Kansas's two seed, and so we were like, oh my gosh, the twenty thirteen Jayhawks are gonna walk to the Final four. Absolutely nothing is gonna get in their way now, and then all of a sudden.
Speaker 2: Worst show chapter in history.
Speaker 1: Yeah, anyway about Georgetown, they are not now. They're not good now. They fell behind thirty seven to eight versus number fifteen Saint John's. It will shock you that they wound up losing by twenty five.
Speaker 2: Yeah, shout out to Rick Patino. By the way, Rick Patino today pleaded with Kentucky fans to give John Caliparia a standing ovation when he comes to Russ. I saw that weekend.
Speaker 1: He got booed when he went back there. I think so that says a lot. I they should Callano. Yeah, it's a little different, granted.
Speaker 2: Because he went to Louisville, right, Uh, he went to the Did he go to the NBA?
Speaker 1: He went to the NBA and I can't remember jobs. Yeah, he went to the Let's suck it up, Rick Patino. Oh wow, there's a face. Hey, Rick Pattino. Is he does things his way? Yeah, he went to the Boston. He went to the Boston celt in between Kentucky and Louisville.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well checks out. I don't know, but anyway, yeah, they should they should give him a you know, they should give him a standard. O.
Speaker 1: There still Louisville though, like like that's there's still big rivals. Yeah, Cali Perry won a title there. He absolutely should get a standing. Oh and I don't think the game is gonna go very well for.
Speaker 2: Cal No, No, they suck. It'll be pretty much a nice reminder of why he's no longer there did in another classic of did de Paul win? The answer is no. Uh. They also had eleven at number twenty five, Yukon who we're still trying to figure out how they're ranked.
Speaker 1: How the Arizona not ranked and Yukon is.
Speaker 2: It's because Dan Hurley is the best coach in the sport, and everyone is scared because they think they're gonna He's gonna shoot them if if they don't rank them.
Speaker 1: Not just the best coach in the sport, he's the best coach in the sport.
Speaker 2: Correct, Yes, yes, absolutely. He also might be just Mike Woodson without Donovan clinging.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, yep, some are saying, but yeah.
Speaker 2: Anyway, they led by fourteen when Ryan and Landen went into an escape room and they texted me in before they went to the skape room and asked me what the final score would be and I said something that I can't read on air. And when they came out, they collected another loss. And also somewhere else in that league, shock a sparts number nine. Marquette won by nine at Butler to ruin a potential three hundred dollars plus payout via a cam parlay, which I ended up cashing out for I think like thirty bucks.
Speaker 1: So sad say, hey, that's.
Speaker 2: That's that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because we can see the riding on the wall. But yeah, Penny Hardaway, he ends up making you some money and I.
Speaker 2: I know he did not. I cashed it out for five dollars.
Speaker 1: P No, No, you did not.
Speaker 2: I did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you didn't let it ride. The one time that you don't let something.
Speaker 2: Ride, it sucks. It's it's hard. But I also did bet on UCLA and because of Oregon, Oregon might be the biggest fraud in cal basketball. Actually, I need to go.
Speaker 1: Back to the last show and drop the bit where Landon says do you win bets? That needs to be a sound clip on this show. Yeah, I just push every dime that you're like, I bet on this and it didn't work because du.
Speaker 2: We know me, me betting on games bites me in the butt And here's you ran. In fact the week speaking of biting the butt, were you aware that in World War two there was a Battle of Ramerie Island, where Japanese soldiers had holed up for months at a time, eating all of the natural resources for food, and surrounding the island were thousands of hunger crocodiles that were pissed because they didn't have food. Well, the British showed up and drove them out of the jungle, and these poor bastards went into the water and they were eating alive by crocodiles.
Speaker 1: Wow, it's almost like mankind does not have a history of being awesome to each other.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, they suck. We all suck. It's really bad.
Speaker 1: That's horrible. I mean, that's I like how you're your fact of the days are getting more more violent. I look forward to the mid February shows for Cam's like, so fun fact for most amount of people gunned down by a single serial killer.
Speaker 2: Is yeah, like fun fact. The guilt the guillotine was invented in thirteen hundred.
Speaker 1: Hey, we have said that certain people in sports should be sent to the guillotine. I think Dan Hurley should be first.
Speaker 2: According to this article that I'm currently reading, supposedly over five hundred Japanese soldiers were eating alive about crocodiles.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's insane. Those are probably the fat crocodiles. If they could eat people, I gotta think that they're well.
Speaker 2: Also, keep this in mind, crocodiles can live for over one hundred years, so some of them might still be alive today, which is crazy.
Speaker 1: It's not like this is not like one of those times where it happens like in a civil area and they end up euthanizing an animal.
Speaker 2: When that does, Oh no, I ain't.
Speaker 1: They're they are probably still roaming the streets or the jungles, if you will. Yeah, right, teams to lose, Yeah, don't don't go in there. Right aims to lose. It is the last time we did a podcast. You have to lead off with number eight Tennessee. They were the only top eight or the top ten team to lose this week. They lost to the fighting fighting Mark Pops. Now they're not the pay Pal cows.
Speaker 2: Yeah that they are not. Number fourteen Mississippi State lost to Alabama.
Speaker 1: Number seventeen Wisconsin lost to Maryland, the only state in the Union named after a person.
Speaker 2: Yeah we that was brought up on the last show. And the number I can barely read right now. Number eighteen Illinois lost at Nebrasketball. Big win for the Huskers, who are now thirteen and eight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, big win for the for Nebrasketball, and also a truly awful loss for Illinois, who I had higher expectations of than my expectations were. Don't lose to a Nebraska team that I'd lost like seven in a row. Don't do that. They did. It's not like Bill's gonna do something similar in Kansas State.
Speaker 2: Next week, for sure, is probably gonna have.
Speaker 1: All right, let's do ask RCB, do you like eating questions or do you prefer to have the questions read to you? Are you a pillow Prentice?
Speaker 2: I do it. That is the worst thing that's ever been asked on the show. No, I'm not. And also you should read them, because the last time that I read them, it didn't go well, all right, I heard here we go.
Speaker 1: I mean no, we've definitely said worse right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what it insinuates. I also said I'd rather get penetrated by a chuck e cheese animatic than to watch Patrick Mahomes play for Kansas.
Speaker 1: See that would imply that the answer to the question I just asked is yes.
Speaker 2: But as a hypothetical, I don't go out on it. I don't go to I'm I'm actually you know what, I'm not allowed within five hundred feet of a chuck of cheese.
Speaker 1: You and uh you and uh Rick Patino both at this point because just look at I need to close this tab with Rick Patino's face up at James D. Bedford. James D. Bedford says, I can't find Landon's other podcasts. Can you repeat the name of it?
Speaker 2: Nice?
Speaker 1: And since he didn't know the name of it, yes, I can so. Landon's Landon's new podcast is the rate log review podcast where I believe it is all based on movies. It is a great Name's got good good cover art as well. It is on Spotify. Not sure if it's on the Apple App Store yet or the podcast store. I looked it up on Spotify and if you go to Rock Chalk Blogs, replies the tweets that I've made in response to others, you will see that I tweeted at James D. Bedford the link to that if anybody is interested. Had a couple of people ask me to that, so it is in there. Yeah, he does good work. James also asks if the Big twelve mascots like a literal bear and a literal buffalo are all fighting to the death, which one wins?
Speaker 2: Uh? A bear?
Speaker 1: I think right, it's a freaking cyclone, isn't it. It has to be a cyclone.
Speaker 2: Oh, cyclone? Is that just Mother Nature?
Speaker 1: Yeah? But a cyclone's taken out a bear probably what the options here? We have a wildcat, two wildcats, we have a I mean, a buffalo would be pretty tough. Jayhawk would wouldn't put up much of a fight. A horned frog is roadkill. A mountaineer is not doing too hot in this scenario.
Speaker 2: A mountaineer can't even read. I always felt like a buffalo was like just trying to like if you had to like try to guide a buffalod be like trying to guide a minivan that's alive.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, Like I want to say, like a cougar or a wildcat, they have more teeth, they might be able to do more physical damage, but they're not nearly as big as a buffalo that can just flat out run you over.
Speaker 2: If I can make a mascot that was the fighting cyclone buffalos, I don't think the team.
Speaker 1: Would ever lose the FCBS. Yeah, they wouldn't have a great NCAA tournament case. But I think that a buffalo clears everything but a cyclone. Actually, I think i'd take a buffalo over a bear. Buffaloes are huge.
Speaker 2: Buffaloes are massive. The Great Ta Tunka.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but if you just want to say, like the Iowa state logo is the bird. I guess you could.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'm saying cyclone takes out Buffalo, takes out bear all the way down to a jayhawk might be last. If we're being honest, it's Jay Oxen Holds Smith who can divers. Right. They't even real so they're not even in this tournament.
Speaker 2: The fourth horseman of the Apocalypse is a cyclone that has buffalo attached to it. At least that's what I read the Bible. I think that's that's the winner.
Speaker 1: Right there. We need land In here to vari something at Bentley Hunt fifteen with a fun hypothetical question. Here if West Virginia we might remember in the twenty eighteen Sweet sixteen, West Virginia was close to knocking off Villanova. They did not do it. If they do in that scenario, does Kansas win the national title? Oh boy, what a scenario that is. So who did Villanova beat in the Elite eight that year? Who would it have been West Virginia against? It was Texas? Was that the Texas Tech year? The Texas Tech ye the other day? Okay, so it would have been West Virginia that was. It would have been West Virginia and Texas Tech and the Elite Eight, two teams that Kansas had beaten that year, So you would have been looking at a Final four rematch or a Big twelve rematch in the final four. And you gotta think Kansas as good of a chance as any And I think whoever gets there is beating that lousy path Merchant Michigan team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you know what, I think you're right. I think Kansas probably does.
Speaker 1: I think that they have a good chance. I'm not willing to say they do because there's a chance, right, Yes, I think they're the best bet on that side of the bracket for sure. At Bob Rockschalk, Is anyone else losing interest in this sport when teams are new every year. The other night, there was a moment when all five guys on the floor weren't on the team last year, and there's going to be a moment next year where there will only be one, if any guys on the floor that were here this year. Okay, So that's a point that I've seen. I've seen a lot of people on message boards complain about that. It doesn't really hit me as much because I'm used to, you know, like Major League baseball. College football is turned into this like there's a lot of turnover, but I can definitely, Like, I go to the games with my eighty one year old grandma who has been a season ticket holder for forty years, and she complains about that. She she is awesome and there's no one that knows more about Kansas basketball than her. But she says that all the time. She said, this is hard to follow. It takes me five games every year to learn everybody's numbers and names because it's so different every year. It's not the same. And she's right, and the product might not be as good. The eye test says, yeah, the quality is not as good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree, it's not the same. I miss having four of your players in programs.
Speaker 1: At Jayhawk Junkies. How many beers did Bobby Huggins drink after Kenyon Martin broke his leg? Boy, I forgot about that.
Speaker 2: Hold on, while you answer this hypothetical, I'm gonna look something up on Bob Huggins.
Speaker 1: Oh no, well, Bob Huggins, Like, so the Kenyon Martin thing, way way way way back?
Speaker 2: What went was that?
Speaker 1: That was in two thousand? I think he was Bob Huggin was still at Cincinnati at that point. Yeah, before multiple DUIs.
Speaker 2: What I was trying to find out is how many beer cans he had in his car when he was arrested. Uh, but he had a point to one percent BAC when he was arrested. Uh, he had beer cans in the trunk and he couldn't operate. He had problems like getting the car to stop. So by my calculations, he probably would consume about twenty five beers.
Speaker 1: And a point to one for Bob Huggins is the equivalent of cam Andite having like a point Yeah, because because Bob Huggins takes a lot of beers. So you get a man that size to a point.
Speaker 2: He's large and he drinks a lot or he used to.
Speaker 1: Yes, doesn't seem like a lightweight by any stretch. AJ Stevenson. Is Bill self going to let kJ give a speech on Senior Night? Or is he going to hold on to him like hundred Dickinson did to that jump ball. That's pretty funny. That's really funny.
Speaker 2: Actually, I don't have anything that one.
Speaker 1: I'll at that one. That's pretty funny. He's gonna give him a well, he's gonna give them a game ball.
Speaker 2: That just says, you know, this is you mad? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah that too. At Aoz Burner says the fog hasn't had the same magic as the years past. Are you blaming the video boards Wi Fi inclusion of air conditioning? He says, I'm blaming the ace. That's that's fair. That seems reasonable it do you.
Speaker 2: I kind of think it's just the they took away some seats and I don't know it. The video board I don't love, I don't know's. It's just they they might have ruined a little bit of it in my opinion.
Speaker 1: So one thing that is undeniably true, and I see people bitch about this all the time, and the right is people are on their phones a lot during games. They show the crowd and people in this student section are filming games or making snapchats or tiktoks or whatever. Well, those of us who didn't delete the app, uh, that that is that is definitely a thing in in in fans. It's always happening everywhere. It's not just the Kansas games at all sports, it's all venues. I don't think it's particularly fair for people to get on Twitter and say people should not be on their phones. The WiFi is a distraction all that, because you know what you can't bout you buy a ticket, you're sitting there. You can know whoever you want for all. I don't like when fans tell other fans how to be fans if they paid for the ticket, don't act like that that you're above them in terms of fandom. But I do kind of understand the building's a little quieter. I don't think you can necessarily blame the losses because those were just two wonky ass losses that happens regardless, like and also, I think the big answer here is Kansas's run when Alan field House was at its peak, and Kansas literally would go like two years out of time between losses. That's not sustainable. That is just an all time insane run where Bill self lost nine home games in his first eleven years. That's not happening anywhere, regardless of Wi Fi or air conditioning or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's probably never gonna happen again, honestly.
Speaker 1: And Allen field House is still the best home court advantage in the country. That's just kind of the way that that gen Z is now with this, Like that's the way it is I'm twenty nine. I'm not I'm barely a millennial. But like so, I'm starting to watch younger generations that. Yes, whenever I would go to Kansas games fifteen years ago, people were on their phones.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know exactly what the answer is, but I don't think it's going away. You can't make people not be on their phones.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 1: At Elliott, Russ and h How good of a team is KU's transfer outs as eg the best version of players, it's Charlie Moore, Bryce Thompson, Tyan Grant Foster, Zubi Edgefoor, and Ernest Ouday. That's if that's the transfer out team, that's not a tournament team. I don't think maybe Tyon Grant Foster carries them there. Bryce Thompson's been in school as long as Hunter Dickinson has.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's probably that's probably an n team. Actually he had.
Speaker 1: Elliott does add that he should have added Quentin Grimes. Yes, Quentin Grimes at Houston was an All American player. He was very good. I think that if you're looking at the transfer OUs TGF for sure, Quentin Grimes for sure. Bryce Thompson's had the longevity enough you need a big so throw Zoobie in there. And I guess sure, throw Ernest in there. Yeah, I'm not a lot of teams have had really pivotal pieces transfer out. I'm not looking at any of those guys and thinking, man, they blew it letting that guy walk out the door.
Speaker 2: Yeah it's not I don't know. That's an interesting thought, but no, they wouldn't be that good.
Speaker 1: And then the last question here at Dick underscore taser, Why are k you fans so miserable? Everyone is hate watching? Makes me sad. Everyone is witching hunt at Dwan and kJ are off the team saying I can't wait for next year. Adds basketball is supposed to be fun. It's just the game, folks, that that is what we need more of Wayne Hurry. And it's worth pointing out that the same people bitching about all that stuff, the Jayhawks are still the ninth best team in college basketball Accord and Ken Pond, this is this is the team you're complaining about. They're still really damn good.
Speaker 2: They're a lot better than last year too. I mean early in the year we were wondering that it's a lot better than the last year. No, they're they're fine.
Speaker 1: If at if at some point you find yourself less happy with anything regarding sports, it is fair to question if sports are best at your current level of rooting interest. You should not spend more time being unhappy with Kansas than you spend with them for being happy with them, especially when they're this good.
Speaker 2: Like, dude, if if it if it's that bad, like do the Chris Beard route, like take it out on some domestic violence.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, well, okay, I don't do that.
Speaker 2: Those thoughts are not endorsed by any of us on inside of paint, including Cam who is possibly seeking employment at some point, so that that is not the real statement. However, this is sact.
Speaker 1: They're not looking for employment. You have inside the paint, inside.
Speaker 2: The paint will always be here for you.
Speaker 1: And then final, just an observation here at show me says I've been doing some sleuthing on BARTRVIC and Kansas is currently ranked twelve. Here is Kansas's ranks on January thirtieth of previous years. Last year they were also twelve. The year before that, they were also twelve the year before that. Their natty year, they were tenth twenty twenty one the outlier here they were forty ninth, and then you go first and twenty the team that didn't get a chance to play in the tournament. And then in nineteen they were eighteenth, and then their final fourteen they were fifth. So they're right about what they have been in the last few years. And I think that's a really good observation. The last four years on January thirtieth, Kansas has been between ten and twelve. What do you got a Natty.
Speaker 2: Year in there?
Speaker 1: You got a one seed in there, you have a year where the floor fell out, you didn't make the second weekend, and you have a year that could be any of those.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they'll be fine. It just feels different because it's a different style of basketball and they're losing some games that didn't lose in the past.
Speaker 1: That's all it is. It just goes to show that you could be about the twelfth best team in the country on January thirtieth and have your season end with confetti and net cutting, or it could end with a really disappointing second round loss. Yep, sure can whatever dam is your coach, right? That is sports. If you ever have askedcarcbs use the Twitter hashtag ask ARCB appreciate that round of questions that was like an All star round where everybody that was asking those I recognize names and appreciate all of you guys' listens and questions.
Speaker 2: Yep bee.
Speaker 1: All right, let's preview a game. We go to Mark and Paula Hurd court to Dix that should never have their name on that damn court. I don't care how much they donated. And I can say more profane things on this episode because Landon isn't here, So take that.
Speaker 2: Am I supposed to run with this?
Speaker 1: If you want? Number eleven Kansas unranked Baylor on the first day of February. It is a Saturday, three o'clock on ESPN Plus. Now I'm just kidding. It's on TV.
Speaker 2: Thank goodness. Scot Drews Baylor Bears. They are disappointing thirteen and seven. I'm the season through twenty games. They're nine and one at home, but the best win of those nine at Cincinnati should not count. They're just two and four against ranked teams. Ten Palm has him as the twenty six best team in the country that is excellent on the offense and a sub seventy sub top seventy five team on the defensive end.
Speaker 1: Which normally Baylor's the other way around. Normally they are defense first, and they're just not this year. Two freshmen run the show in Waco, with the headliner being lottery pick lock vj Edgecombe, a six ' five, do it all wing that averages fifteen points, five rebounds, three rebounds or three assists and two steals per game. He is the athletics specimen here and Hawk Talk earlier Norman Roberts compared his athleticism to something you only see in an Andrew Wiggins caliber player. He is a freak thirty nine percent three point shooter, very good at the free throw line, and arguably the most athletic player in the conference. He has fed good looks by two point guards. Baylor has freshman Robert Wright the third, who is your athletic do everything drive to the cup thirteen points, five assists and a thirty six percent shooting mark. And then there's duke transfer Jeremy Roach, expected back from this game, who has been solid but unspectacular this year by averaging twelve and a mediocre three point mark. Jada Nunn is also here to serve as the team's best three point shooter. He makes forty four percent of his threes.
Speaker 2: The front court stars six foot seven power forward nor Chad Omier who Ohmia, I guess who leads a team with fifteen points and ten rebounds per game. He's a hybrid four man that could play anywhere, but he only shoots thirty one percent from deep. Cue the music. The Bears do have six foot ten inch josh Ojinawa. I don't know. I think that's butchered as a five man. They win. They want to play big, and he adds seven to seven while shooting almost eighty percent from the floor. He's very matchup dependent. He's also prone to foul trouble when he plays a lot.
Speaker 1: So I've been doing. I always put together kind of my analysis on what I notice, and I combine that with stats. I've watched Baylor quite a bit this year, and I really can't get a feel for this team. There's a lot of talent on this roster. Edgecomb is the best player from an NBA ceiling in the entire conference. They have two good point guards that none of those three are even their leading scorers. That that's their starting center who averages fifteen to ten and yet Baylor still has a pretty middling record. The raw stats match exactly what Ken Palm says. Baylor is great on offense. They have no shortage of defensive problems. At the same time, I'll start with the pros. They are an excellent three point shooting team at thirty seven percent. They're a good passing team. They take good care of the ball. They played a fast pace, which you would expect with such an athletic and fast team. They also are elite on the offensive glass. That is Scott Drew one oh one. That is what they've always done. Jamie Dixon teams force turnovers. Bill Selth teams feed the paint. Scott Drew teams rebound on the offensive glass. Defensively, though, this is an abysmal team when it comes to rebounding the ball. Teams have lit them up from three point range this year. There's a debate does three point defense actually serve as a thing. Well, if it does, Baylor's horrendous at it. They foul a lot. They don't have a very deep bench to help them when that happens. That's more of their problem. They have a good starting five, but they get into foul trouble a lot, and the bench isn't deep enough to keep them alive. They also struggle getting to the free throw line and they're one of the worst two point shooting squads in the conference. Weird team. Good on offense, not so good on defense. Should be an interesting matchup for Kansas, who's very good on defense and has shut down some great offenses, but has struggled to get going on the offensive end even against more middle of the pack caliber defensive units.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Kansas has lost four straight games at Waco, with their last win coming right before COVID shut the world down and the season down to February of twenty twenty. Behind Marcus Garrett and Udoka Azimpoopi's lob fast all time, Kansas is eleven and six in Waco. They won twenty nine of the first thirty three games against the Bears, but they are currently just eight and six against him in the last seven years. And also, Ryan wrote a quote that I cannot read.
Speaker 1: I didn't write that quote. Jesus said that Jesus didn't like Baylor. Okay, you guys didn't know that. And Jesus in the year three actually said some really explicit things about Baylor. He came right out of the womb. He said, he definitely allegedly he said, if the censor works here, Baylor there, that's what he said. I couldn't believe it. I did my homework on this. It says it in the I don't know what version of the Bible you were reading ten minutes ago, camb but my version it says that clear as day in the red letter. That's a what a version?
Speaker 2: That is?
Speaker 1: Great's that about Kansas just being eight and six against Baylor the last seven years, We're going on almost a decade of these teams essentially playing even they both wanted each other's buildings, they both primarily defended home court, and they've rarely played neutral site matchups. When they do, those are always a split, good rivalry. What happens in this game.
Speaker 2: I'm actually gonna take Kansas to win. I'm gonna say Kansas wins a gross game, seventy two to sixty eight, and uh yeah, a good road win.
Speaker 1: I think the key in this game for Kansas is making threes. Baylor's offense is really good, but I have enough confidence in Kansas's defense to not allow them to go ballistic. I think if Kansas's offense plays their game against the Baylor defen that's been unimpressive this year, the Jayhawks should have every opportunity they need to win. But I'm looking at this from Baylor's perspective. The Bears are not usually a team we see desperately needing NCAA caliber wins this late in the season, but here they are. Baylor has struggled in Big Twelve play compared to their expectations before the year and what they typically do. I might be wrong on this, and this team just might not be very good, but I have to think that a coach as good as Scott Drew with a player as good as Edgecomb is gonna look at this matchup and think this is our chance to take down a headliner program and lock our NCAA ticket. They're a ten seed and Joe Lonardi's projections right now, they need quality wins. Ultimately, I think they get it. I think this game is close. I think Baylor makes enough plays down the stretch to hold on seventy four to seventy one in a game that leads us all feeling like we still haven't seen Kansas win the big game. The big matchup, but it also doesn't leave us feeling totally discouraged either. I do think Kansas will win their next two games after this, but this one they haven't always played down there. This is a place where they always lose. And while it's not a bad matchup, I just think Baylor is well coached and enough talent on that roster where they're ultimately gonna get one of these quality teams. I think it happens here, and I hope I'm wrong. Other games in the Big twelve Sun Devil State showdown Arizona at Arizona State. Give me the Sun Devils rivalry team against a squad coming off a stunning win. I think forks up.
Speaker 2: Give me Arizona.
Speaker 1: Kansas State at number three, Iowa State. I don't think we're really struggling to pick this one.
Speaker 2: Nope.
Speaker 1: Iowa State clones by seriously like thirty. It's gonna be really really it's gonna be really gross. Utah at Oklahoma State. That's also gonna be gross, but in a different way. I guess we want the Pokes at home, or do.
Speaker 2: We man, I don't know, I don't know. I sure give me the.
Speaker 1: Pokes BYU at Central Florida. I will go with UCF at home. I think they're a little better than people think.
Speaker 2: I will also take the Knights.
Speaker 1: Number twenty two, Texas Tech at number six Houston. Big opportunity for the Red Raiders to prove themselves as legit, but I don't think they take down the Koops. Same West Virginia at Cincinnati. Give me I lose so much pick them. I'm ground with freaking Cincinnati, but I think I'm gonna do it again.
Speaker 2: I kind of think they finally win one here. They have to right.
Speaker 1: Colorado at TCU, not picking them TCU.
Speaker 2: Yeah, at TCU and then other games.
Speaker 1: We have a lot of good games this week, a lot of rivalries around the sport. Number five Florida at number eight Tennessee. Do the balls bounce back? I say yes, but it's gross.
Speaker 2: I think it's Yeah. I think they do win. It's gonna be like fifty eight to fifty four.
Speaker 1: Yep, that sounds exactly right. Number twenty Mazoo at number fourteen mississip State. How legit of the Tigers?
Speaker 2: Not give me Mississippi State.
Speaker 1: I agree, I think the Tigers are pretty good, but I'm with you, going with going Mississippi State in this game. Number one Auburn at number twenty three, Old miss You know what, here's the spot. Give me Chris Beard at home, big game, big opportunity.
Speaker 2: I hate copying, but I'm gonna do it. I think Ole.
Speaker 1: Missticks it interesting. Yeah, Auburn is like nineteen and one. Man, they gotta lose eventually, all right, you can pick first in the you can pick first and the rest of these games. Then number twenty four Vanderbilt at Oklahoma.
Speaker 2: Can't believe I'm saying this, but give me Porter Moser.
Speaker 1: Nope, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, nope. I will take Vanderbilt. You could put the fighting fark tured toilet bowl cleaners at Porter Moser and I would pick the former. Not doing that with Porter North Carolina at number two, Duke, I'm tempted to pull the trigger on you and see it seems like they always play pack well in this building. They they always play pretty well when they're when they're not really expected to do much.
Speaker 2: They're just so bad. It's Duke.
Speaker 1: Duke's gotta lose one eventually. But yeah, I'm with you. That's yeah. Maybe if this game was in Chapel Hell, you'd think otherwise. I agree number twenty five Yukon at number nine Marquette probably a game that could buy and large get Marquette to the cusp of winning that league. I think they get it, but I don't really like the coaching matchup here.
Speaker 2: I don't like it at all either, but I do think they're better than you can.
Speaker 1: And then Arkansas at number twelve Kentucky. Are you giving John Caliperi any chance to go into this team arena? No, no, and steal the show. I'll tell you what I think this is. I think this game is going to be really close. I agree Kentucky wins, but I would pick Arkansas to cover. I think that the Razorbacks are going to look at this game and say, this is our super Bowl. Let's win this one for our coach. I'll win it for the Gipper.
Speaker 2: It's going to be like an eight point spread.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would take Arkansas to cover.
Speaker 2: Wow. Yeah, maybe I'll probably talk myself into it.
Speaker 1: I'm whatever, Cambats, you can take that one to the bank. I mean the bank, no doubt.
Speaker 2: That's definitely never been before.
Speaker 1: Hey, so we'll be back on Sunday night, which will drop Monday. We have a short turnaround here for the next episode because Iowa State comes to town on a Monday, Big Monday. Bill self has never lost a Big Monday home game. Hold on your hold on to all of your bill. This is it TP on Rocktop Flog Cam. You gotta go to bed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm about to go to bed. I'm Cam and I'm taking sleeping aids.
Speaker 1: You do that for Land and Fields. Yeah, Cam needs to start taking Melatona during the ASCARCV segment.
Speaker 2: I can't take Melotone. I trip balls on it.
Speaker 1: Dude, Well seriously, I can't. I can't follow that up, so I'll just say see you next time.