Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick coffee.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get it started. Our number two a little later then we typically get it started.
Speaker 3: But that's okay.
Speaker 2: I started talking about a Facebook rant that I had, which I'm sure made for great radio. And again to clarify, the reason I brought that whole thing up was not to like make myself look like I know, I dunked on somebody in the comment section, but it was another sign that there's just such a good Like the last time I just out of nowhere couldn't control myself at wanting to defend Louisville basketball and Louisville fans. I can't remember the last time that happened, but it did, and it was a reminder to me. And I didn't need to be reminded because I kind of knew deep down, And if you've listened to me in any way consistently, especially you know during the last two years before this new era started with Pat Kelsey, I mean.
Speaker 3: I wasn't going out of my wib.
Speaker 2: I mean I was doing my job and calling it like it is, and maybe at times for comedic relief. I would try to, you know, have fun with it that you know, and it's not fun that Louisville was as bad as it was, but it became such a weird place to be in talking louis of basketball at least a little bit every single day because that's what we do around here. And even as bad as they were, a big chunk of our conversations last year around this time, other than you know, what was going on in college hoops, was who was going to take over? I mean, at this point a year ago, the conversation was about who's they going to hire because we knew that Kenny wouldn't be you know, wouldn't be here long term.
Speaker 3: And you know, it.
Speaker 2: Just was a I think a product of where of how bad the program was. And you know, I'm not trust me, this isn't a poor me thing. But you know, when you hear enough of people just claiming, well, you're just negative, and you know you're not even really a Louisville fan. You're friends with Matt Jones and you actually want Louisville to be terrible, you don't even care you're not a fan, like you know, ninety nine percent of the time, I feel like I can block that out and kind of take it for what it is. But also every now and then you kind of start to, you know, maybe I am being a little little much, and maybe at times I was, but also like, you know, think about how bad we were now we're not, and it's a lot of fun Louisville SMU Tonight a lot on the line for both teams kind of. I mean, I think a win tonight gives Louisville another quad one win and maybe I don't know, maybe that bumps them up a seed line, but it's also not a well, it would be a top forty win. I mean, it's a top I mean SMU would have to completely fall apart for this to not be a quad one win if, of course, Louisville does get the win tonight, because you know, I think it's going to be easier said than done. I'm confident that they can and will win, but sim use a team that I'm kind of you know, I'm kind of not worried about them, but tonight's gonna you know, I think you can look at them in every aspect as far as their resume, what they're doing, as far as production from their personnel, and you can kind of just come up with whatever conclusion that you want. There's no scenario they're a bad team, but like how good they are, I think it kind of just depends on, you know, how you want to look at it. There's no way to know for certain. They don't have a bad loss at this point really, at least, you know, not not a terrible loss. They're worse loss right now. SMU is to Butler, and Butler's a non tournament team, probably a bottom tier Big East team, but you know, it's a Big East team. It's not like they lost to you know, Sun Belt team or something like that. So Louisville is underdogs currently, they are one and a half point underdogs. The Kin Pomp score projection is seventy nine to seventy seven.
Speaker 3: So I and.
Speaker 2: I for SMU, this is huge because right now just about everybody has them as like the next four out or the first full route And if they beat Louisville, and this is another sign that we're having a pretty good season because a win tonight would be a big win for SMU, easily their biggest win of the season. And you know, I'm sure they're coming in with that mindset knowing hey, because look, everybody in the ACC realizes, says I, now you know if you are, and look, there's so many teams in the league that just aren't going to sniff the tournament, and we know that. But you've got currently Duke the only team that is just safely in. I think Louisville as of now is safely in. But I guess, you know, technically with as many games left, and if they do take some losses given who's on the schedule, you know, and I don't predict or expect them to lose to some of these teams, but it's just one of those things that if you do, man, it could be a real glaring loss that just really changes your resume, probably doesn't move you out. But anyways, tonight big game for both teams because when you only have one opportunity left at least as of right now on paper, to get a quad one win, you want to be able to take advantage of that opportunity. And with SMU, same thing this is, you know, looking at SMU's schedule, the rest of the way they've got they don't have Duke. They already played Duke got beat pretty bad. They'll play Gosh, they've got Clemson at home, which that'll be February twenty second, that'll be another opportunity for a quad one for for SMU if Clemson can stay in the top thirty. But outside of that, yeah, I mean, really looking at it right now, this is the this is the only quad one win left for both of these teams as of right now. So it's not that you know it's gonna make or break your season, but just looking at the it used to be where this would just be another night at work, I mean, if you know what I mean, Like it used to be in the ACC, and certainly when Louis was in the Big East. We weren't talking quad one, quad two back in those days, but it was it was a rarity that you would go a week in league play without having an opportunity to get a win that would that would improve your resume to a certain extent. And now that's just kind of not where the ACC is. So certainly a lot on the line tonight a nine o'clock tip, and Louis has played well enough in the last really the last six games specifically that I mean, I'd just be a liar if I told you I didn't expect them to come out and play well. Now doesn't mean it's going to happen, but they've been pretty consistent. And what makes me the most confident is that the things that I believe have really made them look like a team that not only is taking advantage of an ACC that's down, but a team that might be able to get a decent seed, maybe make the second weekend. I don't think that's crazy crazy right now. What I think has really gotten fans like myself to kind of envision that happening is that the things that they're doing really well, it's something you can control, right, playing really good defense, doing your work on the backboard, all the stats that you know you really want to make sure you're excelling at second chance points, offensive rebounds, assists. I mean, Louis has been able to win some of these games as of late, where you look at box score at the end of the game you think, like, man, we missed that many free throws. We're lucky that didn't bite us in the rear end, and look, maybe tonight's that night, because you know, that's one of those things that because of the ride and how much fun it's been I'm not really dwelling on things that I think are weaknesses of this team, because every team has weaknesses, this one included.
Speaker 3: But Louisville free throw shooting.
Speaker 2: They've had games where they're you know, eighteen to twenty two, which is a pretty damn good night, But then they have some games where it's just like, wait a second, forty seven percent, So you I mean that that is that's the one area where they're really inconsistent, And I think it's better to be inconsistent where you've at least seen games where you shoot a bunch of them and you do make a lot of them, but you also can't say you'd be surprised if they end up in a spot where they have a bad night at the line. It just I don't know, that's one of the things that I don't I don't know what to chalk it up to. But they've been inconsistent and at times just bad at free throw shooting, and I don't feel like in any of the games they've lost this year, that's been one, you know, that's been one of the things that is that has been a key factor or five oo two five seven, one seventy nine hundred the number. If you guys want to jump in and join us, let's go to the phone lines and welcome in.
Speaker 3: Adam. Adam, you're on sports Stock seven ninety. What's up, man?
Speaker 4: Hey? How you doing?
Speaker 1: Nick?
Speaker 5: Doing well?
Speaker 3: Brother?
Speaker 4: All right, I'm telling you what. I'm excited finally for the first time in a few years. I mean, I'm glad we got the team that we have. It's exciting to watch basketball again for my team.
Speaker 2: I know it used to feel like a chore where you'd be like, well, I feel like I gotta watch. I'm a fan, although I don't really feel great about the team, and now I can't wait for game day. It's it's nice to be alive again.
Speaker 4: Well and just not sit there like you sit in agony'd like, oh man, we play again tonight. I mean, people don't understand, like we really went through a really low time where it was not fun.
Speaker 2: It's not it wasn't fun, Oh it was.
Speaker 5: It was horrible.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I don't think I'm gonna be honest with you. I don't think there's been a worse season in the UVL that I can ever remember. And being that bad son, I am just glad we were competitive. We're top tier in our conference. You know, they can say what they want about the SEC the Big Ten's is whatever. You know, you can put us up against somebody and we'll compete, and we'll fight, and we've got a chance to win any game that they put us in. And I feel that way, and I haven't felt that way in a long time. So I'm just happy. Man, me too, brother, And I'm excited about the tournament and everything.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm with you. It's awesome, And Adam, I appreciate the call.
Speaker 2: Man. Good to hear from you. Yeah, I'm totally with you, just knowing that, hey, like we're alive again. And and you said something that I probably don't. I probably don't think about as much as others, and I probably should because it's It's another thing that I think can give you some confidence in your team. Is look Louisville, if they end up playing Duke again, if they end up playing you know, heck, even Kentucky again, maybe they get Auburn or something in the tournament. I mean, clearly they're gonna have a tough night because they're playing one of the best teams in the country. And you know what, more often the not. They're probably gonna lose those games, but I know this group won't be too wide eyed. They're not gonna have deer in the headlights look because I think they've got great leadership, their reflection of their coach, and I'm really interested to see moving forward. And I'm not thinking about it a whole lot, but I really believe one of the things that has helped this team have the success that they've had so far is their maturity. And I think there's definitely a lot of it that you just chalk it up to these individuals, these human beings that are you can be twenty three year old college player and still be immature and still be you know, not having necessarily a good head on your shoulders and not maybe do the right things. I think these are good dudes. I think these are guys that are genuinely great teammates to one another. And I'm sure Pat would tell you that that was part of the process and bringing them in.
Speaker 3: He wanted guys that fit the culture.
Speaker 2: But sometimes you just you don't know that there's guys who committed to come to the Louisville that are a part of this great run that they're on right now that probably had three conversations with Pat Kelsey before they ever decided to commit here, Like it wasn't like you have a whole lot of time to really I mean, I guess you can talk to other coaches and and get references and whatnot and kind of you know, figure out what you're getting into as far as who you're recruiting.
Speaker 3: But I think this team, again, they're gonna need.
Speaker 2: Some breaks to go their way if we're talking about them knocking off one of the best teams in the country. But I just I don't have any worry that they'll they'll be ready, and that'd mean they're gonna.
Speaker 3: Win, trust me.
Speaker 2: Like you know, when you play teams that are better than you, you're gonna need some breaks to go your way. You're gonna have a you're gonna need to have a really good night. But they just and they have a confidence about about their their process and they're selfless. I mean, you've had different leading scorers like every night and at any moment, like it could be anybody's nights and I you just don't know. And it's been a lot of fun. And man, I'll tell you what the the thing I saw earlier today from let me make sure I cite my my source correctly here, because.
Speaker 3: I always get this. This is.
Speaker 2: This guy's name is Evan Miyakawa, and he is another one of the college basketball statistical professionals. His work, his formula, his numbers are featured in ESPN, CBS Sports, the Athletic Sports Illustrated. He's kind of like a Ken Palm or a Bart Torvik. And he's a great follow by the way, if you want to follow him, it's Evan Maya Evan E v A N M I y A on.
Speaker 3: X slash Twitter. But he put together a graphic that shows.
Speaker 2: Minutes per game missed by rotation players essentially, and I'll just read you directly what it says. Here says here are the teams who have suffered the most from injuries this year based on minutes per game missed by rotation players. So again, college basketball teams right now that are that are missing guys that we're going to be playing a lot of minutes, and we're playing a lot of minutes before they got hurt. And there's only one team in college basketball that has been impacted more so than Louisville and that's a random team McNee State, and that's actually where Will Wade is. And he brought in a lot of guys from the portal that you typically wouldn't get it McNee State unless you know you're Will Wade and you've clearly show them that you can coach a little bit. So I guess technically they've been more impacted by it than Louisville. But Louisville is right there and it's outside of that. It's really not close. And you know what I keep forgetting that I never think of that, and you know why, because these guys don't think about it either. I'm sure they wish Cason was out there and Koran was out.
Speaker 3: There, and they didn't. They didn't.
Speaker 2: They weren't with that kid or for as many games as he missed. Like, we know they're injured and it's still a factor, but like I think, man, and again this is where it just gets where I just feel like I'm turning into total Homer cardboy here. But like I rarely even think about those injuries, and clearly these guys don't either, because they they knew that if you know, if you dwell on it, you use it as an excuse, then it's a crutch. And in this group, they didn't feel sorry for themselves at any at any point and clearly, I mean, they've had a lot of tough breaks come their way this year that have nothing to do with what you inherited, that have really nothing to I mean, it's just they've had really bad luck with injuries. But they don't seem to be dwelling on it. Fans aren't even thinking about it. It's just another sign of how good of a job Pat Kelsey's been able to do so far. It's exciting, no doubt. All right, quick break, we'll come back on the other side. We've got a lot more to get into before we get out of here, so hang out with us. We'll get back to your phone calls on the other side. Five oo two five seven one seventy nine hundred. It's coffee and company. Feel bout Thorntons right here on Sports Talk seven ninety now.
Speaker 1: Back to coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: If it was anybody else, I probably would just view this as like a hard, oh try hard move just to you know, just to kind of show you're a football guy. But the way Marcus Freeman has really carried himself throughout really his entire time as a head coach at Notre Dame, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that this is just, you know, him doing something not for attention, but it's part of his process to you know, be the best coach he can be. But there's a video of him forcing himself to watch Ohio State celebrate, which he later said that you know, he needs to see that to fuel him to you know, know that they got there and came up short. And I'm paraphrasing here, but you know, I don't get the sense that he was wanting people to kind of you know, realize that he was making sure he was watching them celebrate after you know, he has nothing to be ashamed of it.
Speaker 3: They had a phenomenal year, but engagement forming.
Speaker 2: If anything, I feel like this is just another sign that, like Notre Dame's not going anywhere. They've got a guy that really he's got a lot that I feel like is really really important and valuable. Now with the way the college game is, right, I mean, it's certainly becoming more and more. In fact, it is, it's pro sports, and the same things you're seeing in pro sports, I think you're going to see in college and that is coaches that maybe more than anything, they just have an ability to lead and get guys motivated and they've been there before. I mean, you can still be as super successful as a coach if you've never been a great player, but you know you've got it, and you know you're you're able to build old a staff and and and and work well with that staff and cleared.
Speaker 3: You got to know what you're doing.
Speaker 2: But I mean, he's he's somebody that I can totally see why the NFL has has some real interest. And you know, they didn't win last night, and obviously the Bears have hired Ben Johnson, but I heard Colhart say it earlier today, and I kind of feel like, even though they did lose, maybe there are some Bears fans they kind of feel like maybe that was the direction we should have gone, and maybe we should have maybe maybe we should have tried to go get Marcus Freeman instead of Ben Johnson.
Speaker 3: But anyways, Notre Dame comes up.
Speaker 2: Short, and uh, the game kind of played out really the way I expected.
Speaker 3: Ohio State was just better and it was.
Speaker 2: There was a late score from Notre Dame to cut it to eight, but after that it was, you know, the clock kept ticking and it really never never appeared as if Notre Dame was was going to win the game. And look, I don't know what the perfect solution is as far as why, you know, how we can you know, get it to where it just didn't feel like, I don't want to say a chore and everybody's different.
Speaker 3: But I was relieved to see right before kickoff.
Speaker 2: You know, those that cover the sport nationally couldn't control themselves. They had to put it out there, rather it be on their coverage or just you know, throwing out a tweet like, man, this just feels flat. This just not feel like we're about to watch the national championship game. And part of it's because it's new. We've never had a twelve team playoff, we've never crowned a champion on January twentieth. And maybe it'll be more normal down the line and we get used to it, but I kind of feel like that's too late. Like college football, I think should start earlier than it does. And I really, I mean, this is trust me that I don't want to be like the anti college football guy because I love college football. And that's why I was kind of like insecure a little bit yesterday because I felt like a fraud, Like, wait a second, it's a big game, national championship game, the last night of the college football season, and I keep having to remind myself that there's a game.
Speaker 3: Am I fraud?
Speaker 1: Do?
Speaker 3: I really care about college football?
Speaker 2: So it's nice to see others at least kind of felt like that a little bit. But greed money matters in everything in life. Money matters, and I know that. I think if you have that, you don't have to like it or accept it, but you'll probably be able to deal with certain things in life better than others if you just are aware that money's always going to matter, maybe more than anything. So they're never going to get rid of conference championship games, they're never going to get rid of the meaningless bowl games because they make a lot of money and that's what it's all about. But it just didn't feel like a sport that is so popular and look, I'm sure plenty of people watched last night to where it's not going to look like they, you know, had a dud as far as the viewership and whatnot. But because the things that just kind of make you feel a little like it just seems off because those things are purely being done because it just makes way more money and it's a big time revenue generator. That means it's not going away. So like if they got the conference championship, games quite literally are pointless. I mean, I guess technically you can claim that you won and now that you won your league, and that's you'd rather be able to say that than not be able to say it. But think about this, if you've put yourself in a position where you are playing for your conference championship and you are in a league like the ACC, the SEC, the Big Ten, maybe even the Big twelve, you're thinking playoff, Like you would sacrifice a spot to even play for a conference championship if it means you can get in to the playoff. That's the ultimate goal now. But they're never gonna get rid of them, and it does sound crazy to think they should just not have a conference championship anymore.
Speaker 3: But like, it just feels a little bit off.
Speaker 2: But I think we're just gonna have to get used to it because they're gonna make a lot of money. Like there are way more big time events this year in college football. And when I say big time events, I guess I just mean made for TV. Like previously we would have three college football playoff games, right, the semis and then the championship game. Well, now you had a lot more of them, and maybe certain games didn't do the numbers, didn't have the viewership that we had previously in the fourteen playoff. But you know what, when you have way more than the three games than you had previously, it still is bringing in a lot more money. And that's I don't want to say that's all they care about, but that clearly is a really it's a driving influence and big decisions made when it comes to college football.
Speaker 6: What about the fact that I feel like this is the college football player at the chaos. The chaos has been great, But you got to keep in mind is and I hate to say this and be a hypocrite to but is there maybe such thing as like a college football like fatigue because of the playoffs'll been going on since December twentieth, because the Indiana Notre Dame games what kicked everything off? That was December twentieth, then with all the bye weeks and everything, so it took a whole month. So this weekend we're gonna know who's going to be in the final game basically of the NFL, and the playoffs started last week. It goes by relatively fast, and so maybe you could just be dealing with that, maybe just like we immediately get hit with Monday, here is the National Championship game, but we're just coming off an exciting weekend where some of the best teams in the world had just like the Lions, they just lost and we're going on to basically divisional championships this week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I think the fatigue it feels that way a little bit because the biggest talking point in college football I feel like this season was the back and forth about is the SEC worthy of all this arrogance they have and maybe the true maybe the Big Ten will put them in their place, And that kind of played itself out long before we got to last night, right like the SEC, because even if Texas would have made it there, yeah they're in the SEC, but it wouldn't.
Speaker 3: Have been a good look for the SEC.
Speaker 2: And look, I was happy to see that the SEC was served some humble pie. I don't know if they ate it, because I'm sure you're still going to see the arrogance that they have. And again, disclaimer, it is a really good league, the best league in the country, top to bottom. But you know, the gap that they have always believed they have between them and everybody else is just not at all what they think it is, and it's been proven in the last couple of years. Again, there are people still triggered by that and they and they completely ignore the first part of what I said. It is the best league top to bottom. You take the three or four best teams every year in the in every conference, the SEC nine out of ten times is going to be better, sometimes substant substantially better when.
Speaker 3: You go like four deep.
Speaker 2: But this year Ohio State won it all and you know that was that was a win for the Big Ten. Wouldn't be shocked if the next two champions are from you know, the SEC. So again, what I can't like, Let me just give you an example. This was the Penn State Notre Dame game, which was that was that was the semi final game?
Speaker 3: Correct? Yes, yes, so it had.
Speaker 2: This is from somebody who covers the SEC's name is Blaine Crane, and he doesn't just cover the SEC, covers college football, but with an SEC lean it's part of the daily wires college football or college sports really, I guess just college football content. But he tweeted this out and I'm just thinking, like, man, this is somebody that has zero awareness of like what he's actually saying here. And it's not personal. I don't know the guy, but he claimed and I'll read you directly what he said. Only seventeen point eight million people tune in to watch Penn State Notre Dame in the college football Playoff semi final, a sharp drop from the twenty seven point eight million who watched Alabama Michigan in last year's semi final. That's a huge decline, especially for such a close game.
Speaker 3: Hmm. What could explain this?
Speaker 2: Like I was beside myself reading that, not like have I mean, there was clearly no awareness from this human being that you are quite literally making the argument that we should just put teams in there that more people will watch because they have a bigger following. You are quite literally acting as if it should just be a popularity contest, right, like the committee should quite literally just decide who gets to to you know, who gets certain spots in these games based off of the reach they have within their huge fan bases and how many people will watch. Clearly the networks want as many people to watch as possible. Nobody would argue that, but like if the SEC fans want somebody to acknowledge that they actually will with their big brands when they're going deep into the playoff, there'll be more viewership.
Speaker 3: Of course, who's are you in that?
Speaker 2: There are people who are absolute lunatics about their college football programs in the South, Like that's the culture and it's a special thing. But that, I mean, maybe I'm just reading it wrong and taking it out of context. But he's like making a snod comment that the viewership means that the teams that were there shouldn't be there. That has nothing to do with it. But with that logic, you shouldn't play games in the regular season.
Speaker 3: You should just base it off of popularity. And like that to me.
Speaker 2: Was so embarrassing or people like Lane Kiffin and I try not to get caught up in it because coaches, I get it, you're gonna you're gonna campaign for your for your team and your league because it probably won't help you, It shouldn't help you, but it certainly isn't gonna hurt you, so like there's really no harm in doing it. But some of the things they would throw out there, I'm like, are you are you listening to yourself?
Speaker 3: Like what are you talking about? Like why why even play games? If? Like if what you're arguing.
Speaker 2: Should matter more, and like that should be a big factor in how we decide who gets in the playoff and whatnot, Like why play like it? Just to me, it was so embarrassing to have so many people just get so caught up in the yelling back and forth about the sec elite teams in the Big Ten being frauds because Indiana and Penn State didn't play anybody.
Speaker 3: Like you may like, you may be right that the Big.
Speaker 2: Ten schedule balance was way off, but you know you also like there again, there is not a team that missed out on the playoff.
Speaker 3: Can't look in the mirror and know that.
Speaker 2: They did it themselves because they just completely laid an egg and failed. They were failures. It wasn't the committee's fault. It wasn't because what are you going to do? We play in such a great league. Ole Miss lost to Kentucky, who did not win another SEC game, and they lost to them in Oxford, I mean Alabama, they got blown out by Oklahoma in a year where Oklahoma was as I mean, was as bad as they've been in a long time. Miami, I don't think anybody was really arguing for Miami, but like, had they not lost.
Speaker 3: To Syracuse, they're in. In fact, the team that didn't get in that actually probably had a better argument they didn't belong because they really just you know, they were just on the outside looking in. But South Carolina had a.
Speaker 2: Better argument than the other SEC teams that were complaining about not getting in.
Speaker 3: So I don't know, just I think there was so much of that. Like I felt like that was the biggest.
Speaker 2: Talking point in our first year of the twelve team playoff, the never ending yelling, you know, about which conference is better, who deserves the benefit of the doubt, and who doesn't. And it kind of felt like with that playing out pretty early in the process, it just kind of felt flat. And I think that's why maybe you kind of had that fatigue that you mentioned, Austin, because I'm with you, that's probably the best it wasn't like I was bothered that we still had college football, because you know, I get sad when it comes to an end, and maybe when college basketball season comes to and I'm not kidding you this probably this isn't a good thing to say about myself, but like I get seasonal depression, Like I'm a sad name, Like I'm not kidding you, Like my mental health, like I'm fine, I'm okay. You know, I do get therapy and that that's a big deal. And it's not because of it's not because of sports, but like everybody has seasonal depression to an extent. I would imagine maybe you don't, but like certain times of the year where you just like, oh man, it's over, Like the best time of the year is now is now ending and I got to wait another nine months like a lot of people have that for summer break. That kind of stuff. I get it whenever the sports that cause it's just such a huge part of.
Speaker 3: Like my routine.
Speaker 2: It's now what I it's now really a huge component of my life because of my job.
Speaker 3: So get I get bummed.
Speaker 2: So trust me, it's not like I'm sad that we still have college football going on, but I did kind of feel like that, like, wait a second, I'm not really in football mode anymore when it comes to college, because you know, we're about to figure out who who's going to go to the super Bowl, and usually when we're here, football's been done for a few weeks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, on the college side.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you're right.
Speaker 2: So anyways, let's get to a quick break. We'll come back on the other side with an update. Remember the stories that In fact, I think it slowed down so far here in twenty twenty five, but we had a stretch where it seemed like every other day there was a pro athlete whose house was getting broken into while they were playing, you know, for their franchise. Oh, that's right, happened to Joe Burrow, happened to Luca. There were some others, well they've made an arrest. And criminals, man, sometimes they're really really savvy. And I and I hear of these schemes and these things they do, and I'm like, man, you know what, that's really smart. You could you should use that big brain of yours too, you know, not break the law, but maybe do something good for society and make money, you know, with the clear you know, skills that you have not use it to you know, be a criminal. But then criminals, you know, at the end of the day, if you are a criminal, that's a foolish.
Speaker 3: Thing to do. That's a dumb thing.
Speaker 2: And I think at their core, criminals are always going to slip up and do something dumb. And what got these guys caught, I feel like, is something that most people would have realized, you know, you probably shouldn't do if you want to get away with it. But we'll talk about that next right here on Sports Talk seven.
Speaker 1: Ninety Now back to coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine.
Speaker 2: Day, I'd say of all the professional athletes that had their homes broken into while they were either playing in a game for their employer or traveling, I think the Joe Burrow wuldn't got the most attention, mostly because he's probably the biggest star that that was a victim to burglary, but also because of just people kind of realizing wait a second, like he's he's I mean, he's I don't know if he's married or he's engaged, but either way, like it made him. It made people question that maybe Joe Burrow has multiple girlfriends or whatnot, which you know, if there's somebody that might be able to do that, Joe Burrow would probably be in that group. Have seen the guy, I mean, just given you know, his status and whatnot. But anyways, there's been an arrest made as far as that that particular burglary. So this is this is from a new station in Ohio. This is from let's see here, I guess it's up there in like the Cleveland area. But four people from Chile have been arrested in connection with a string of burglaries that includes the home of Cincinnati Bengals star quarterback Joe Burrows.
Speaker 3: So this is from w LW TV skyline.
Speaker 5: Chile.
Speaker 3: Uh, well, it's Chile the country. Am I saying that? Oh?
Speaker 5: No, No, you're right. I would just chill.
Speaker 3: Well, well, I mean.
Speaker 5: He's making a funny about Ohio.
Speaker 2: I know, I know that you were making the funny, but I also thought, I hope you were and of funny because I feel like I might have said that wrong that it says for Chile in but that just doesn't No, you're right, But if they're from Chile, are they Chilean or am I saying Chile a wrong like sometimes let us say Chile and then I'm like, well that can't be you know, that can't That doesn't sound right. But either way, they were arrested following an ongoing investigation involving the burglaries of multimillion dollar homes in multiple states. So these four men were arrested in Clark County, Ohio after being pulled over by Ohio State Patrol.
Speaker 3: And this is a quote here.
Speaker 2: It says all four males were identified as being illegally in the country or overstaying their permissions.
Speaker 3: That's what the.
Speaker 2: Arrest reports said, as all of them provided fake IDs. So when it comes to Burrow, Core documents added that authorities found an old Lashue shirt and bingals hat that they did confirm came from Joe Burrow's house.
Speaker 5: Wow, was still in their car.
Speaker 2: Yeah again, dumbass, right, Like the search of the vehicle the suspects were also in discovered. What it says here that it's like it's a two Husky automatic center punch tools wrapped in a cloth towel, which, of course, this is the tool that they were claiming was being used by a South American theft group. According to authorities, what they were doing, because I mean I was I wasn't fascinated by this, but I mean I feel like it's a known like there's a lot of people, like if you're a famous athlete and somebody wanted to maybe pick a time when they know you're not home, it might be when they turn on TV and know that you're at work. But I would just assume that maybe you have security, maybe you have like somebody that watches your home or stays there. And that's that's what happened with Burrow. A girl that was staying there. She called police whenever somebody was trying to break into the home. So they just assume, well, he's not here, we can break in. There's nobody here. We'll just have to bypass the you know, the the alarm and what they were doing. And this this makes sense, you know, I don't. I don't think like a criminal, but you know a lot of criminals are effectively until they get caught because they're pretty smart. They usually end up doing something stupid that gets them caught. But it sounds like they're using different tools that like jam your Wi Fi to where your your security system is connected to Wi Fi. Right, Well, if you're, well, if they can, if they can like jam your Wi Fi or like put it on like airplane motor something, what they're going to do is when they break in at that time, the alarm's not gonna work. But because the why, because there's like no connectivity at all, you're not even getting any notification that you like, the only time, the only way you would know, it sounds like is if you just happen to actually check your system, like on your phone at that time, and you know what, they probably assume you're not going to do that. In fact, it just sounds weird thinking that Joe Burrow would be the one checking his phone to see like what's on with the security cameras at his house.
Speaker 3: That's what he's checking on.
Speaker 5: The surface protab after he just threw a pick.
Speaker 2: So, uh, they've they've been caught, and I guess it sounds like their their tips and their leads were were accurate as far as just where they think this was coming from. It was a South American organized crime group and they were able to figure out where these guys lived, and they you know, they were able to I guess just get lucky because again, what happened here is that. Uh. I guess these guys probably would have been caught regardless. I don't know if they were, because they broke in and started stealing stuff, and I guess maybe they did realize once they were in the in the act that that somebody was there, so.
Speaker 3: Maybe they bailed.
Speaker 2: But what I've always found to be really stupid is stealing something that might technically be worth an insane amount of money, but it's so rare, you know. One of the reasons why it's worth so much money that you can't you can't fence it because like, it has no value if you have to.
Speaker 3: Keep it hidden.
Speaker 2: Like if I stole Joe Burrow's super Bowl ring, which he doesn't have, but if he did have one, I would have, that has no value because I would have to find somebody that just has throw away money that would want to buy Joe Burrow's super Bowl ring and never tell a soul that they had it. They would just have to keep that possession of themselves. And I look, right, sports memorabilia is cool. I just have never been able to really get into it because when they tell me that such and such as jersey or some a card went for this amount of money. I don't like you can say that, and I guess by definition you're correct. If somebody paid a billion dollars for it, then by definition it was worth a billion dollars to somebody and that transaction was made. But like, no, it's not worth that. So, like, you know, I hate saying this because there's a lot of people that I'm sure that are really big into sports memorabilia, because I would assume people that listen to the show, you know, are sports fans. But like you must be really well off to be able to like pay for that stuff, because again, it really the value of it is just what you decide you can pay for and of course, like what somebody would be willing to sell it for. But when I hear if somebody stealing a certain item, I'm like, well, okay, good luck, Like hopefully it just means a lot to you to have internal and you keep it to yourself because the scenario where like you really cash in on it is just by somebody who is stupid rich that they just wants to be able to claim they have it. It makes sense like certain items, like if you stole all the valuable items in the you know, if you stole all of the valuables as far as like electronics and maybe even vehicles, Like you can you know you can. You can find the right people in an organized crime to where you can still make a lot of money off off your crime. But there's certain things to where you just really have no. I mean, it's cool to say you have it and you know that it's really valuable, but like, good luck on cash it in.
Speaker 6: I mean like me trying to break into like Rick Flayer's house to steal like his robe that he wore a WrestleMania or steal one of his championship belts.
Speaker 5: Like, yes, it's valuable. Who am I going to sell this to? Though?
Speaker 2: And one of the big components as to why people want that stuff is for clout.
Speaker 3: They want to be able to say they have it. Well, if you say you.
Speaker 2: Have something that is clearly something that was stolen, then like you're gonna go to jail.
Speaker 5: You just can't flaunt that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and again if.
Speaker 2: You have no, if you don't have any way, like if it's just in your closet locked up and you've got something like that, like a like a big memorabilia item from an athlete.
Speaker 3: What good is it doing you Like you just are sitting there.
Speaker 2: You're probably worried you're gonna get caught at some point, and you have no way to like cash in on it. So anyways, there's a lot of things like that that just fascinate me that people would really like not realize, Hey, this really isn't worth the risk. I could get caught and go to jail and get in trouble. And even if I do get away with it, where where's where's the payday? So anyways, we got another hour to go, It's game day. We'll talk a little more about this SMU match up with Louisville tonight as we roll along. Keep it locked right here on Sports Talk seven ninety