Speaker 1: This is Dan capless and welcome to today's online podcast edition of The Dan Caplis Show. Please be sure to give us a five star rating if you'd be so kind, and to subscribe, download, and listen to the show every single day on your favorite podcast platform.
Speaker 2: Well, Happy Monday, Colorado. It's Heidi Ganal filling in for Dan Caplis. I'm really happy to be here. There has been so much going on. I like to say every day is like Christmas right now. Ryan, I mean, there are so many things happening. It's making everybody's head spin, especially the Democrats. I mean last night, Dan Bongino, I mean I think he became enemy number one and out and displaced Cash Ptel.
Speaker 3: What do you think.
Speaker 4: He's definitely making liberals headspin. He's been very combative in his own podcast and radio show, and he has not been shy about it whatsoever.
Speaker 3: And it's just I go back to this quote from John Fetterman.
Speaker 4: He appeared with the Ladies on the View and he gave some sage advice as.
Speaker 3: He has wont to do, but they won't.
Speaker 4: It's like we can't be like cats with the red laser beam following around every little thing.
Speaker 3: That Donald Trump does.
Speaker 4: They don't pick their battles, their scattershot, they don't have a targeted approach.
Speaker 3: They just have these knee jerk.
Speaker 4: Responses, threat to democracy, Nazi hitler, blah blah blah. And meanwhile, like you just said, oh, punch one, here's cash. Buttell, by the way, uppercut, Dan Bongino, Deputy FBI Director, what are you going to do about it?
Speaker 5: I love that analogy.
Speaker 2: I was at the leadership program of the Rockies retreat over the weekend and at the Broad Moor and Newt Ginrick was the speaker on Friday night.
Speaker 5: I love this saying he came up with.
Speaker 2: He goes, now, there's the traditional maha we all love, make America healthy again. But he has a two point zero another maha that we should integrate, and that is make America honest again. And I think with Doge and everything that's coming clean on that, with the exposing what happened with JFK and the Epstein files and all of that, what's happening with Ukraine and what we're finding out about what's really gone on there, and in education with Title nine, I mean, we're exposing all this stuff and it is shock and awe. But I do think make America honest again, what a great, great tagline. And I do think that it's hard to argue on the Democrat side that that isn't a good goal.
Speaker 4: Well, and it's something James Carville said here, and I guess we'll just come out of the gate with its I have the sound on this side.
Speaker 3: But when one of the greatest.
Speaker 4: Strategists and minds of the Democratic Party, at least in this generation and certainly over the last thirty years, when his best advice to Democrats is to lay low, stay out of sight, say nothing, not even be seen, and don't be heard. I mean, that's the best he's got. Just listen to what he says here about Elizabeth Lawren.
Speaker 6: But what I've said very public said, Democrats need to play possum.
Speaker 5: This whole thing is collapsing.
Speaker 6: It doesn't need Elizabeth Warren and somebody's screaming to pacify some progressive adversing groups in Washington, which, by the way, I wish.
Speaker 5: These people were just useless.
Speaker 7: They're actually worse than useless.
Speaker 6: That they're detrimental and they never ever learned to shut up.
Speaker 3: Ah.
Speaker 2: He is a character I do like listening to him raging Cajun. He does not hold back, and we have our own folks who don't hold back. And it's interesting to see how the anti Trumpers or the never trumpers are reacting to everything that's going on too. They've been pretty quiet overall, I would say, in Colorado not so much. They're actually trying to kind of take credit for some of these things happening.
Speaker 5: I saw or I.
Speaker 2: Heard at the retreat, which really ticked me off. I'm like, where have you been for the last four years as we battled all these horrible things going on against Donald Trump? And you know, everybody and their brother wants to know say that they were the original Doge.
Speaker 5: But I'm I'm going to be one of those people.
Speaker 2: I mean, I talked about going to zero income tax and reducing the size of bureaucracy by ten percent a year in the first term, forty percent overall, and people thought I was nuts. The liberal media went crazy. How on earth could she say that she's insane, we can't reduce bureaucracy, she will leave kids starving on the street. And I was like, well, there's plenty of waste and fraud. I think we could cut ten percent right there, absolutely not, there is no waste in fraud.
Speaker 5: And Jared Poulus would stand.
Speaker 2: On the debate stage and smile and say, absolutely not. Everything's wonderful. Everything's wonderful.
Speaker 4: I love those debates because you just flattened them, and every one of them was entertaining to watch.
Speaker 3: I had my popcorn ready and everything.
Speaker 4: But it's just factually inaccurate to suggest that there isn't waste, fraud and abuse. Barack Obama, when he was president was talking about this sort of thing and.
Speaker 3: Designing a task force.
Speaker 4: Al Gore was appointed to head that up in Bill Clinton's first term. It's what he ran on as a moderate Democrat. And to his credit and Gingrich has who you mentioned earlier, they passed two balanced budgets in Clinton's second term in office.
Speaker 3: And I think back, like you said.
Speaker 4: These never trumpers, these neo cons that are left in the past, the dust spin of history when it comes to our party right now, I just think backhiding. I was a very strong supporter of George W. Bush in two thousand and four, and I remember all the promises he made on the campaign trail. What he won on, did he govern on that, did he enact those policies. Did he sign executive orders?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: And so when even the Democrats join in in this recent poll, I think was CBS News saying, yeah, seventy percent of Americans say, Hey, Trump's doing what he said he was going to do and running on it.
Speaker 3: I mean the flurry of activity with executive orders.
Speaker 4: Donald Trump promise has made promises kept even better than he did in the first term, knowing the lay of the land and the landscape politically, and that he's going to need Acts of Congress.
Speaker 3: To make these things stick.
Speaker 4: But he doesn't need one to write the executive orders and get the ball rolling. And so I don't know that you could view this first month in office, Heidi's anything other than an unmitigated success for Donald Trump and everything that we voted for.
Speaker 2: I agree with you, and I'm a little worried about Congress. They seem to be moving a little slow. I want to see more a sense of urgency with the Senate and the House of Representatives, but specifically our congressional members, like, come on, guys, get it together, let's move on. Let's get a budget across the finish line so that we can really deep dive in and get some of these executive orders put into long term play through legislation. And there is no excuse, no excuse for us to not go all in to get these things memorialized. And if they don't do the right things, then let's get ready and let's primary a lot of people who don't play ball correctly. Now we've got four congressmen out of the eight in Colorado, congressmen and a woman, and I believe they're fighters. They're going to go in, they're going to try and do the right things. They're going to get what we want past they We've got to stop having to deal with the Colorado GOP care race every day and the drama around that. It's ridiculous and it's wasting everybody's time, the back and forth, the lawsuits, that why can't we all just get along? And so I sat on my podcast the other day. My Unleashed podcast is back out there. I put one out yesterday, it's out on social media today, and I kind of go off about how.
Speaker 5: You know, what we can agree on.
Speaker 2: We can all agree that we don't like what's happening in Colorado. We don't like what the Democrats are doing in Colorado. We can also all agree, except for a few never trumpers, which whatever, we can all agree that we love what's happening nationally, that what's happening in the White House is what we want here in Colorado.
Speaker 5: So if we just agree.
Speaker 2: On those two things, why does anything else matter?
Speaker 5: It doesn't.
Speaker 2: And most of the people running for the different positions and the different offices and the different county chair positions, everybody pretty much agree on policy. I think that's what I feel on the ground as I travel the state, like if all of these people were in Congress, they would all vote the same way.
Speaker 5: It's just it's this purity test. It's sys some what if contests. What if this were to happen, What if this vote came up?
Speaker 2: Well, we need to deal in what is real, and I'm going to dig into that in the next segment and talk about numbers around unaffiliateds, around Republicans, around turnout and actually look at the data, because I think at this point we need to put a motion aside and look at data, numbers, the reality of the situation we're in Colorado and figure out how to get a path forward.
Speaker 5: Knowing exactly what we need to do, how many voters.
Speaker 2: We need to bring across what those voters resonate with message wise, and I have some input from some polsters on that front too. I'll tease it a little bit. One thing we should not talk about here in Colorado. For whatever reason. Colorado's do not want the Department of Education torn down, So we've got to be careful.
Speaker 5: Around I do.
Speaker 2: I think it's the right thing to do block grant that money back to the states, but they're worried. Republicans are worried that that money's of course going to go into the wrong hands here in Colorado and be spent the wrong way. And Democrats just think it's a terrible thing and that education is going to get even worse than it is, which in Colorado that's pretty hard to do. Our kids can't read, write, or do math at grade level. So we're going to deep dive right now. We're going to take a break. We'll be back after this. Heidi ganall in for Dan Kaplis.
Speaker 3: And now back to the Dan Kaplis Show podcast.
Speaker 5: Oh, Bryan, that's so sad.
Speaker 4: I know we lost her bird of Flack and wow, she lived a full life age of eighty eight and of course, this is one of a handful of top charting hits that she had. Her biggest hit'll be coming up next. Oh okay, you'll recognize it. She beautiful pea music, tremendous voice.
Speaker 2: Okay, So talk about something equally as sad, the state of the Republican Party in Colorado, the conservative movement.
Speaker 3: Ouch.
Speaker 2: I don't even know where to start, Ryan. I took a lot of notes, I did some digging on different data.
Speaker 5: Here's where we are, guys.
Speaker 2: We need to flip about four hundred and fifty thousand votes in Colorado to win statewide. And I'm going to break this down. There's three point seven million registered voters in Colorado, and of those a lot are unaffiliateds.
Speaker 5: We've got one point eight million.
Speaker 2: Unaffiliated registered voters or they're not they're unaffiliated, so they're not registered Republican or Democrat. If you take the unaffiliateds that tend to vote Democrat, that's about sixty percent. So out of all the affiliated, it's about sixty percent typically vote in the last couple elections Democrat. Forty percent vote Republican. So if you take that and subtract that one point one million minus about seven hundred and thirty eight thousand. It's four hundred and fifty one thousand is the difference. So that's where I get the four hundred thousand gap. Now where are we going to get those folks? Well, we've got a lot of voters.
Speaker 5: That didn't vote in the last couple elections.
Speaker 2: So about two million in the twenty two election did not vote, like Democrat and unaffiliated and Republican, and then you've got Republicans who only voted. About seventy percent of Republicans voted. Thirty percent of Republicans did not vote in the general election, and I think that's both elections.
Speaker 5: Overall.
Speaker 2: In twenty twenty four, about seventy percent of Colorado registered active voters voted, So there are tons of people who do not vote. We do not have a registration problem in Colorado. A lot of people are like get scot prosts are out here to register people. It's actually more of a get people to vote and get the right people to vote problem here in Colorado. So we need every Republican to vote that's registered Republican if the election were tomorrow, and that would add about two hundred and fifty thousand to our vote total statewide.
Speaker 5: And then we need.
Speaker 2: All of the unaffiliateds that have voted Republican in the last couple elections to vote. And then we need two about two hundred thousand more to come to our side from the people who have voted Democrat, the unaffiliated who have voted Democrat. And that depends on Republican turnout. I said, if every Republican turned out, we would need two hundred thousand. If only seventy percent turnout, then we need four hundred and fifty thousand to come our way. So it's a daunting task. But what I've been trying to tell people is you are the leader you've been waiting for in this party. You are the leader of your neighborhood. You are the leader of your sphere of influence. Make a list of everyone you know who's like minded, and then get to know all your neighbors better. You can get to know your precinct chair, which is basically your neighborhood cheerleader for the conservative movement in your neighborhood. You can find out who that is by calling the Colorado GOP, I mean the county GOP.
Speaker 5: And asking and they'll connect you.
Speaker 2: And if there isn't one, because there are tons of vacancies for precinct chairs around this state. Volunteer to be that person. It's not hard, it's not brain surgery.
Speaker 5: We can do this.
Speaker 2: And I've had brain surgery, so I can say that. So you've got to start local. You've got to get active in your neighborhood. You have to attend your county commissioners, city council, school board race meetings. Don't do it on zoom, go live, and even if you can only go for a part of it, and have your little two minute speech ready and get up there and say your peace. And then get to know your elected officials in your local neighborhood and start to communicate with them about what you like, what you don't like, Republican and Democrat. And then, guys, we have got to got to got to focus on issues that are going to be okay to talk about with everybody. And I've been talking to the pollsters about this about Colorado and where things stand, and there are two things that people are totally fired up about on both sides that are okay to talk about. We have from perspectives about how to solve those problems. But what is the economy?
Speaker 5: Inflation? Affordability.
Speaker 2: And the other is crime, and that includes illegal immigration, sanctuary state status, it includes all of those things that we're dealing with in Colorado, fentanyl. So you've got crime, and you've got the economy crime and the economy of the economy and crime.
Speaker 5: Those are the things we should be talking.
Speaker 2: About when we're out chatting with our neighbors, when we're testifying on a bill, when we're testifying to our county commissioners or city council. It works magic and find little places where you can agree, like, Hey, it's really expensive to go out to eat lately, isn't it?
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, it is. Why do you think that is?
Speaker 2: Ask a lot of questions, as I learned in sales, because I was in sales a lot of my life. You should be listening most of the time and learning and asking questions and finding out what makes people tick. And what I learned from the polsters that what makes people tick in Colorado the unaffiliated voters, the famous unaffiliated voters. And we're really talking about the four hundred and fifty thousand or two hundred thousand, whatever number you want to use, between two hundred and fifty and five hundred thousand people that we need to swing our way to change this state. It's the economy and it's crime, and the Democrats are handing us a gift with this. They are making every bad decision they possibly can at the legislature, in the governor's mansion, in Congress, the Democrats are making every bad decision.
Speaker 5: They can and they do not have anything to stand on.
Speaker 2: As James Carvill said, be quiet, sit down and be quiet. Well, I'm asking you not to sit down and be quiet, but to stand up, speak out, get out of your house, talk to folks, and start now. We cannot wait until the elections here. We've got some very very critical school board elections coming up this fall. How about we start in Jefferson County, Colorado, where, oh my goodness, every other day it's a different story. God bless Lindsay dot Co with jeff co Kiss. First, she's so patient, so she's so kind in the way she approaches the criticism of what's happening. I won't be as kind. It's really messed up. And if it's not a better I don't know a better time to elect different people to the Jefferson County school Board. You guys should watch some of those meetings. I watched the last one. I encouraged everybody to do that, and a whopping I don't know thirty people showed up online to watch it. I'm like, do you guys not read all the articles about what's happening with teachers being accused of sexual misconduct and a teacher who groomed a student who now I think still lives with the teacher on California. She's past eighteen now, but their story after story so at In just a few minutes, we're going to have the infamous George Brockler.
Speaker 5: On with us.
Speaker 3: Infamous is a great word for him.
Speaker 5: It's a sure thing, George. It's a good thing.
Speaker 2: He is our district attorney for he's district attorney down in Douglas County, and.
Speaker 5: It's so great to have a fighter.
Speaker 2: It's great to have a fighter compared to all the stuff that's going on in California. And we're going to talk about the sanctuary state issue. We're going to talk about what's happening in Jefferson County, and we're really just going to break down how do we change what's happening as parents, as Republicans, as unaffiliateds who might be open to voting differently. What will we do differently if we govern to stop this stuff from happening.
Speaker 5: Now you're hearing it from the White House.
Speaker 2: You're hearing no more boys playing in girls' sports, no more DEI, no more of this stuff happening in our schools, or you're going to lose funding. Like that's what needs to happen from the top. We're going to talk about what needs to happen here in Colorado and from the ground up.
Speaker 5: So this is.
Speaker 2: Heidigan All filling in for Dan Kaplis. We'll be back right after the break with George Brockler.
Speaker 3: You're listening to the Dan Capless Show podcast.
Speaker 5: Hello, Happy Monday.
Speaker 2: It's Heidi Ganal filling in for Dan Caplis, and I'm very excited to have a friend and my district attorney, George Brockler, on the line. Hello George, Happy Monday.
Speaker 7: Happy Monday. It was great seeing you and Jason over the weekend.
Speaker 5: That was fun.
Speaker 2: We were talking a little bit about the OPR retree and nuke Ginrick.
Speaker 5: Saying make America honest again. I love that.
Speaker 7: I think some of the funniest stuff came out of a speaker nude, especially when he said, a look the difference between conservatives and the liberals that they view The Lion King as a documentary, you know what I mean, Like he says, lions eat gazelle's and they say no, no, no no. They sing and dance together.
Speaker 5: They get along great. That was hilarious. That was That was a crazy weekend.
Speaker 2: I mean, I love that weekend because it's like six hundred patriots in one place and we haven't seen each other, most of us, in like a year, and everybody stays I mean stays up pretty much all night, like till three or four in the morning, hanging out talking.
Speaker 5: And then you get up and you're like, oh my god, I forgot how old I am. Oh that was.
Speaker 7: That was. That's right, still recovering.
Speaker 5: So George Colorado was not recovering yet.
Speaker 2: And I love what you've been saying about what's happening with this push that I mean, Paulus is basically saying we're not a sanctuary state, and you're saying, oh, yes we are, So tell us what the distinction is there?
Speaker 7: Yeah, in fact, there was a westward article of all places. I'll sit down with anybody to do an interview and Westwood came out to interview me on this, and I told them the same thing, like, it doesn't matter what the governor or mayor Johnston say. They could call it happy fun town. What really matters is the policy and the different approaches that they take to this. And when we have changed our laws multiple times to make it less painful for illegal immigrants to commit crimes in the jurisdiction and to avoid facing deportation for the commission of those crimes, and they've done it, and to keep probation from reporting the fact that they have convicted criminal illegal aliens that they're supervising here even though America says you shouldn't be here. They can't communicate that with ice. You have a sanctuary state. But oh, by the way, then they add on the other things, like well, let's make illegal immigrants eligible for housing assistance and to get licensure in things like hairdressing and other things that are licensed so they can compete with citizens and people who are legal residents. You've created an environment that is not just welcoming but invited. It begs legal immigrants to come here and set up shop. And that's what we've seen over the past. I don't know five ten years now.
Speaker 2: So what do you do differently, like now that you're in office, what do you tactically do every day to beat back against this and what can't you fix or do?
Speaker 7: Yeah, some of the limitations are on the lack of knowledge that we have about all the people that are in our jails and the people that are in our system. What the public should end is full transparency, and the legislature has really operated from an ignorance's bliss approach to this, which is, hey, if we don't allow law enforcement to collect this information or to coordinate information with ice, then nobody can ever run study that says, hey, twenty five to thirty five percent of all the crime and the jurisdiction are in the state is committed by people who are here illegally. Now I made that number up, but I'd have to because we can't know the number right. So part of the problem is we're in an information deficit and maybe an information desert. And so for us, approach is where we know that someone will be negatively impacted by the results of their criminal conduct, I take no affirmative stats to lessen that impact. So there are some jurisdictions historically, and even now that we'll try to do something called an immigration friendly plea, I do no such thing. You are going to get the same plea bargain. Whether you're here legally, illegally, citizen, non citizen, legal resident, doesn't matter. You come here and break the law. Your expectation should be you're treated the same by the law.
Speaker 5: That's good. That's good.
Speaker 2: So is Paul's changing his tune on like in the tactics of what he's doing and allowing his staff and bureaucracy to do. Or is everything staying the same. His rhetoric's just changing.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he's changed his rhetoric. And if you listen, he's a smart guy, I mean the governor. For people that want to dismiss him, they're making a mistake because he's politically pragmatic in a way that you don't see from Phil Wiser. Like Phil Wiser is not just human shock in terms of delivery of the message, but he does not have the nuanced appreciation for these things. The way Governor polls and his team do it just makes them very, very different, even though they're both successful in elections. The governor has changed his tun if you listen to what he talks about. He's like, we're not a sanctuary state because we cooperate with ICE for violent felons and violent criminals. That part might be true, but it's limited to just the violent ones.
Speaker 5: It's not.
Speaker 7: It doesn't encompass things like your retail theft rings or your other property crime committers, your burglars, whether it's a businesses or residences. The chronic drunk drivers that we have who have had two or three bites at the apple, even though they shouldn't be here to begin with those parts we don't have the same level of cooperation and coordination with. But where people should feel really encouraged is that you had a willing participant in that ignorance piece under the Biden administration for ICE. And if anybody has listened to a single word out of Tom Holman's mouth, President Trump got elected, those days be over. And now you have an ICE that at least appears to be interested in trying to deport the people that are visiting crime on our communities.
Speaker 2: And how big of a problem is this in Colorado? I mean, when I was running, I heard a lot about the I twenty five corridor and the federal trafficking, the human trafficking. Is it as big of a problem as it appeared to be, then.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, Listen, Colorado is unique when it comes to human trafficking because what you have found statistically is that human trafficking is biggest in places that have major highways federal highways that run through them, and also associated with cities that have major sports teams. Well, I twenty five and I seventy converge right there in Denver with the Broncos and the Abs, and arguably the Rockies are major League. I'm kidding. I love the Rockies, just want them to be better and.
Speaker 3: All this other stuff. So we do.
Speaker 7: We have historically human trafficking issues, and there is a role that the cartels in illegal groups play in those as well. And it's not just women, and it's not just folks south of the border. This takes place from people from all over the world. They get brought here under false pretenses and then they're either their visas or if they have a passport, their passports or whatever withheld from them so that they end up in servitude to the people that are kind of controlling them and using them for these largely sexual purposes.
Speaker 2: All right, So talking about human trafficking, let's talk about what happened at Columine High School with the student who was I would call it trafficked to go live with her predator, who was a teacher. Like, what the heck is going on in Jefferson County.
Speaker 7: I don't know. I grew up in Jeffcoe. I'm a Lakewood kid. I went to Belmar Elementary, Carmody Junior High, Bear Creek High School. I mean, I still have family that lives in Jeffcoe. I don't know what's going on there, but for one of the largest school districts in the state, they have some explaining to do here. Now, again, I'm not privy to what has taken place in terms of any investigation. I don't know any more than you guys do from reading this. But as a guy who's got a prosecutor's mind in a father's heart, I have significant concerns with what has not taken place. So when I'm told by the media that there are forms, federal forms that are filled out by administrators that advance aknown lie about the homelessness of this kid, that to me seems like a fraudulent or even forged document. There has to be some federal law that creates a penalty for that, and for anyone that's ever filled out a federal form you know, at the bottom in teeny tiny language it says, I swear that these things are true under penalty of perjury and all this other stuff. Someone's got to look into that. I don't know if someone has already and has said, hey, we don't think we have enough here, but we're going to get a new US attorney in the state of Colorado over the next six to twelve months, and that's going to be a Trump appointed US attorney. They have the ability to look into this stuff. The other things are, how can the school district get away with an oops, I'm sorry approach to this? I put out an apology like, well, what the mistakes were made and things should have had It's like, dudes and dodets should be let go from education. I don't care if they were the Jesus of public education up to that moment. You participate in this charade. You are Dunnsville.
Speaker 5: It is over.
Speaker 7: I don't know why that hasn't happened.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you, district's attorney Brockler and I'm glad you're my district attorney in Douglas County. I love jeffco too, but man, I just every day it's a new story over there and parents really need to wake up and understand what's going on. Thanks George for all you do, and I'm excited to see you make a big splash fighting back against this stuff. I know you will, and would love to chat with you more on air soon.
Speaker 4: Happy to do that.
Speaker 7: One quick thing. We have three pending cases against educators in this jurisdiction. Oh wow, presumed innocent and I don't want to get into the details, but we've got three. How is it that some people can show up to a school and see kids that want to learn and others see a romantic opportunity. Oh don't get it.
Speaker 5: That is just horrible, horrible.
Speaker 2: It's disgusting, and thank you for taking a stern approach to that. And I hope that justice prevails whichever way it goes.
Speaker 5: But I'm glad you're doing that.
Speaker 7: Thanks. Thanks Ryan.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, this is Heidi Ganal filling in for Dan Kaplis. That was District Attorney George Brockler talking about crime and what's happening in our schools in Colorado, which is pretty disturbing. And we will be back after this break to talk more.
Speaker 3: And now back to the Dan Capliss Show podcast.
Speaker 2: That music just puts me in a zone, like in a really happy zone.
Speaker 4: Like good day zone for those of you driving home from work or paying tribute to the late ROBERTA.
Speaker 3: Flak who passed away at the age of eighty eight today.
Speaker 5: Gosh, that's sad. Well, Onto, as I opened last time, more.
Speaker 2: Said Stoff talking about the Colorado Republican Party state.
Speaker 5: And I love my Republicans. I love my party. It's like family to me.
Speaker 3: And who are you most brutally honest with?
Speaker 5: Exactly?
Speaker 2: There you go, because I want things to get better, same, I know, Ryan.
Speaker 5: So we've got to talk about this opt out thing.
Speaker 2: It is so confusing and it's what is riling up the whole Republican Party right now. And if you're not into like deep dive, you know, Republican party stuff, just kind of stick with us for a few minutes, and I would love feedback. If you are into this stuff, you can call us at three zho three seven one three eight two five five, or you can text five seven seven three nine to Dan and I will get that text message and I'll address your questions or comments.
Speaker 5: But there's two things going on here.
Speaker 3: A lot of.
Speaker 2: People are saying, oh, I'm going to vote, I'm going to I want so and so to be chair of the GOP in Colorado because I want unaffiliateds to not be able to vote in Republican primaries. And then there's other people who are like, no, no, no, we need to bring more people in.
Speaker 5: You heard me.
Speaker 2: Talk about those numbers if you were listening in the first segment, where we have one point eight million unaffiliated voters, and of those voters, sixty percent typically vote Democrat in Colorado in the last few elections and forty percent vote Republican. So we need all those ones that typically vote Republican, and we need to bring over a few hundred thousand from the ones that typically vote Democrat. So if we do away with the primary, which is what the vote is actually on, if we do a vote on what they can vote on the central Committee, Sorry, stick with me, this is really complicated. So if these folks get elected and they have a vote, they could even do it now before before the chair race technically, but it will probably be after a new chair is elected, they'll vote and they'll say we want to get out of the primary completely. They have to have seventy five percent of the Central Committee, which is about I think it's about four hundred and fifty people, and I am a bonus member.
Speaker 5: I'm on that committee now for Douglas County.
Speaker 2: So seventy five percent of those folks have to vote to opt out of a primary. And what that means is there will be no primary as we know it.
Speaker 5: It will strictly.
Speaker 2: Go through a caucus or assembly process, and it's not like it is now. So what will happen is one candidate will have to come out of that assembly. So that's typically if you get thirty percent, you get on the ballot, and there's usually a couple of people in the primary and it's raucous, and then all the Republicans and unaffiliates who pick a Republican ballot gets to vote, and then you get your candidate that goes on the general election to go up against the Democrats. Well this in this case, you won't be able to petition on like some candidates do, and there won't be multiple people coming out of assembly. It'll be one person, one person. And so there's a couple problems with this.
Speaker 5: One is you you will not.
Speaker 2: Get a primary ballot if you are a Republican in this state. So the only way you'll be able to be involved in picking our primary candidate is to get a seat at that assembly, and they have not determined what the rules are for that. We've got, you know, nine hundred thousand Republican voters registered Republicans in this state. How are they going to hear the most people possible because usually that assembly is about three or four thousand people. So that's the first problem. If you're a registered Republican and you're not part of the assembly process, you will not have a say in who the primary goes to. The other thing is the unaffiliated voters will still get a Democrat primary ballot. They will still get when now right now, they get both, they get a Democrat and a Republican ballot in the mail and they have to pick one.
Speaker 5: They cannot turn both.
Speaker 2: In, and so they will still get the Democrat ballot, but they won't get a Republican ballot anymore. So they'll just get one ballot and they'll think, oh, okay, I'm going to vote for this person and the likelihood that they vote again for that person in the general election. Psychologically it's pretty strong like they're probably gonna do that. And so I think we're shooting ourselves in the foot if we literally opt out of having a primary as we know it now.
Speaker 5: Now, Do I.
Speaker 2: Agree that Republicans should be able to pick their primary candidate and Democrats should be able to pick their primary candidate, and unaffiliated.
Speaker 5: Should pick a side. Yeah, I tend to go towards that. And there's a.
Speaker 2: Lawsuit going through the system right now that was filed with I believe Kevin Lamberg is the head of that lawsuit, and it's with the GOP because they tried it before without the GOP and they wouldn't let the judge wouldn't let that go. So it's going through the courts right now. It's called the Claremont Institute lawsuit. And if you are interested in not doing the whole opt out like they're talking about now, where we don't have a primary pretty much we have a primary or not as it stands now, then and you still don't want unaffiliates to be able to vote in the Republican primary, then you need to support that lawsuit, and you can donate to the Claarmont Institute and help them. It's going to be a while before that gets decided. I think they're in disclosure or they're doing all the research right now in the case. So that's your option. You can support that lawsuit and see where the courts fall out and say they would say the whole thing was constitutional. So my understanding is the Democrats and Republicans would fall under that, like the whole ballot initiative that we voted on was unconstitutional.
Speaker 5: So I know that was super complicated.
Speaker 2: If you have questions or want to call in after the break, please do and I'll take the call and we'll chat about it. This is Heidigan All filling in for Dan Caplis. We'll see after the break.