Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Mo Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: K if I AM six forty is Later with mo Kelly. We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. You may recognize that virtuosity. When we last spoke to Corey Henry, he was a Grammy nominee in the category of Best Roots Gospel Album, and as we speak to him right now tonight, he is the Grammy Award winning artist thanks to his win back on February second for his album Church or as We Say Chuch. He also has a new single, we'll let you know about that, just in time for Valentine's Day, Let's Go Fall in Love. We'll listen to that just a moment, but it is available right now on Spotify. My brother, and I'll call you my friend now. I think we have talked enough in person. Corey Henry, congratulations, thanks for coming back in the studio.
Speaker 3: Oh, thank you, Moll, thanks for having me Sam. I'm so glad to be back.
Speaker 2: I look when I saw when it finally hit the web, when you actually won your Grammy and you ran, I mean literally ran up.
Speaker 4: To the stage.
Speaker 5: Thank you to the Quarter Academy Recording Academy.
Speaker 3: Thank you God, Thank you God, Thank you God. That's all I can say. I was just rushing in here. I'm just so happy to be here. Thank you to all my peers.
Speaker 5: Thank you to everybody who helped me make the Church album, Raphael Sadik, Vischal Carton, Pearson r and p Key. The list goes on in so many songs, and it's been a blessing to me because it's my literally my life history on record. So and this is a testimony, testimony for me to tell everybody who knows me to follow God and to follow your dreams. Follow God, you direct your path. Thank you guys h for this award.
Speaker 3: I love you.
Speaker 2: All you said on social media to God be the Grammy as a play on words, to God be the Glory. I understood that. I felt that. And there's another saya. They say, you may know my glory to tie together, but you may not know my story. And part of your story was you were going to retire, weren't you. Yeah, Yeah, that is That's been a lot. That's been a big talking point for me as of recent as of the recent years, and and the career has brought me much.
Speaker 5: Joy and much pain at that time and still you know, but winning brings a lot of joy now, it brings it brings it kind of full circle, makes it feels like all the hard work wasn't in vain.
Speaker 2: You know, you made it clear and not that you're not humble, but you were honest and you were transparent, saying basically, and I'm paraphrasing you, yes I want to win. Yes it's nice to be nominated, but yes I want to win. How nervous were you in the moments leading up to them saying your name? Honestly, I wasn't nervous at all this time around. Actually every other year that I've been nominated as a solo artist, when they are doing a name call, I get anxious and my heart start pounding, and I'm just like I start breathing, and you know, I hear them say my name, and then I'm waiting for them to call my name for the winner, and I just get like so like pressure. But this time was much different. My grandmama was with me, Big Mama, say said doctor J. Yeah, you know Grammy Award winning Doctor J. She was with me, My little sister, my little cousin was with me, My uncle was with me, which is a total difference than any other time that I spend in California.
Speaker 3: To have my family.
Speaker 5: So I felt like the stress or the pressure or the whatever it was that was happening that would normally lead up to this moment in which, you know, I've waited so long to you know, to live and get to it.
Speaker 3: Felt like it was just chill. It felt like we was getting ready for church.
Speaker 4: And put another way, maybe you let go and let God.
Speaker 5: Yeah, let go let God, you know, and just enjoy the time and enjoy to enjoy what's happening. Matter of fact, to be honest to the reason why I was running is because I just got in the room.
Speaker 4: That's what I heard.
Speaker 2: It's like you were literally running as they were announcing your category.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there was a traffic jam. Imagine that, you know in La Geez. There was somebody like some car crash and then we ran into another jam somewhere else. So it was just not normal, you know, just getting there. It was very unusual. I felt like the devil was trying to block men, but I made it anyway.
Speaker 2: I have followed your career for quite some time, but I know your career transcends genre. I know you as a gospel artist, you're a funk artist, you're a jazz artist. You already had a Latin Grammy. You had appeared on all music from hip hop to pop, as far as guest artists. In fact, your new single when I play that in a moment, available on Spotify right now, Let's Go Fall in Love. I would say it's probably one of the broadest musical selections I've heard you do in a musical genre sense. You can wear all the hats. But here's the question. How would you describe your music?
Speaker 5: Oh man, I described my music as soul music or better yet, future soul. I've been liking to call it future soul, know, but music that just touches the heart. I want all my music to touch the heart, to touch the emotions, to make you feel something. So soul music is what I would call it.
Speaker 2: When I was playing your bumper coming In, I didn't play the whole song, but it's from you were performing on BBC BBBC and it was your performing Billy gen a rendition of Billy Jean. And it's amazing to me how you seemingly are very comfortable in any musical environment. You're playing with a full orchestra, and also there were electronic instruments at someone obviously playing the guitar risks from Billy Jean. Is there anything that you haven't done in a musical sense that you would like to do or performance venue?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 4: Man, that's my job to ask those questions, which makes you pause and.
Speaker 3: Thinks yeah, I'm like, oh, I thought about that. I will say this.
Speaker 5: I over about two three weeks ago at NAM Convention, I started a new duo. You know, maybe I want to call it Yeah, And it's interesting because it happened from a jam session with my brother shout out to Shawan Andrews, and we've been playing music that sounds like something I wasn't even really trying to target before. And it sounds like and I never called it this. My other homie called it this. He said, it's like it sounds like you're doing adium jazz soul music medium, you know, DJ and I was like, Oh, that's interesting, you know that that's happening and that people were like that. We played it a few three about two or three times around now, and then it got me closer to what I wanted to do coming into this year I've been wanting to DJ.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: I don't see you as a DJ, but I didn't know that.
Speaker 5: I got these ideas in which, you know, I'm a DJ and play some drums on the side or take a solo, you know, or the mogue or something like that. But I want to spend records and for a lot of reasons. But doing how I was doing it in a new duo, I was like, Oh, we could be in the DJ space, and I'm looking forward to making music that is like dancy, but I don't want to call it idiom, but like in that space.
Speaker 2: So you took one of my questions because I was going to ask you. When I encounter people who are driven, they're usually less concerned about what they've already done and more concerned about the next thing. Yes, you wanted to win a Grammy, but your mind is already probably beyond the Grammy. So is the DJing the next thing or just one of a bunch of next things.
Speaker 5: It is one of a bunch of things I think already coming into it.
Speaker 3: I was several projects.
Speaker 5: Of things I recorded, worked on and got to the finish line, and I want to get those things out, you know, much like this song, Like like this song, I worked on this song and nobody, you know, knew I was working on it. But I just have these songs, you know, just like ready and like ready to push play on and.
Speaker 4: Let me jump in there.
Speaker 2: I wonder and tell me if I'm wrong, but I think I'm right. Do you sometimes wake up in the middle of the night with a melody in your head? You just have to get it down before you forget about it? Absolutely absolutely, you know. As soon as it hits I'm like, oh man, I feel a tingle in my fingers, you know, And I'm like, oh man, let me go sit down and grab my phone. It's a lot of let me grab my phone. I'd be like, do you sing the melody or do you do you have like an app where you can like just play a melody?
Speaker 3: No, just singing it.
Speaker 5: Singing it is normally enough, and it's normally uh like really jumbled, you know, like I could be singing. I was like, I start saying chords like he flat through the Oh, you will.
Speaker 4: Go back to it, so it's not even a melody.
Speaker 2: It's a chord progression and you hear the parts already in your head.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, especially if I'm not around a piano, you know. And sometimes that's those are the best songs when I'm not around a piano, you know, And I'll just like just be in the car and then it hits me. I'm like, and I'll just start singing and thing, and I'm like, oh, this is a.
Speaker 4: Song, okay.
Speaker 2: But you hear the melody, the harmony, do you hear the backing vocals? Do you hear the full instrumentation or the just a melody in that moment?
Speaker 5: It depends, But normally I hear the whole song. It's like if I get an idea, or let's like and I say the whole song, but I hear all the parts in the song, Like if I get a chorus right, Normally, if I hear a melody in my head, I can hear the bass part to the melody, the chords to the melody, the drum part, you know, like all that's kind of playing along with it, you know. So the idea comes packaged normally, you know, if it's one part of a song or the entire song, it's normally packaged. And if it's not, then I'm like, all right, let me call and the homie the make some drums up to this or something like that.
Speaker 2: But the song is pretty much complete. You just haven't put it down as a full recording. Yes, that's what they call brilliance and genius. My goodness. When we come back, we're going to get into his new song, Let's Go Fall in Love. I would call it a national debut, you know, world premiere if you like. Here on Later with Mo Kelly, Corey Henry in studio. Excuse me wait, let me be back up. Grammy Award winning Cory Henry, Wow sixty. We're live everywhere in the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Mo Kelly on demand from kf I Am six forty.
Speaker 2: Can't I mister Kelly, We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio Happened I'm continue to be joined in the studio by Grammy Award winning artists Corey Henry and Corey let me pick up right there. It's one thing to win a Grammy. It's another thing to say I have a Latin Grammy and a Grammy.
Speaker 4: What is I would say.
Speaker 2: More impactful or more not more important, but touched you more emotionally.
Speaker 5: In terms of the Grammys, I guess this one does more emotionally, this one. It seems like my whole life is now made some type of sense personally, and there's so many reasons I can go forever talking about it. I think I was thinking often about how long I spent in church and how you know, many years and hours and like times and services and concerts and traveling and practicing and just it's just so much that win into that experience, and I used it for and I use it rather for all my music, no matter you know, like the genre yep. But to actually specifically go back and go go to the studio and remember and record the music that I grew up playing, and to win a Grammy for that is like it's kind of mind blowing, you know, like to get it from the thing that, like I started from.
Speaker 2: What I appreciate most about that album Church. It took me back to my early days in the church, the old time religion, the hymns, the things that we would sing in the church all the time. And I always go ballistic in a good way when I hear a Hammond B three, and I usually it's not necessarily promptly featured, but I can hear it in what you do. And before we get to your single, it reminded me you did this piece for doctor Henry Lewis Gates where you were playing on the Hammond B three and it almost brought tears to my eyes.
Speaker 3: I look at the gospel.
Speaker 4: That takes me back.
Speaker 2: When you sit down at the hand in these days, does it also take you back?
Speaker 4: Does it take you somewhere else sometime else?
Speaker 5: Oh? Yes, And especially when I'm playing songs like Amazing Grace. My mama taught me how to play that song. That's the first song I ever lost, I ever learned. And when I play any song that's like that, or songs that are from my childhood, you know, it makes me think about when I was a kid learning them and playing them in church, and it does bring me to tears very often. You know, it's right, very emotional. I'm very connected to these songs in a very deep way. And yeah, and it brings me back every time. You know, that was the beginning. But where you are now, you're the different point in your career. You're you're playing different music. I think it's now time.
Speaker 2: That we play a little bit of Let's Go Fall in Love, and it's perfect. It's in time for Valentine's Day. But before I play it, tell me about it. What inspired you?
Speaker 5: What is it about? This song is for the lovers. This song is for all the lovers out there. I think, I just I'm not even think. I just like love songs, you know, and I play love songs all the time. Some of my favorite songs are love songs from Al Green, Marvin Gaye.
Speaker 2: I was getting ready to ask you who's that feel for you, Bill Wethers and you know, Stevie Wonder and you know the list, go earth Win and Fire.
Speaker 3: Love songs are some of the greatest songs ever written.
Speaker 5: And and no matter what you know people feel about Valentine's Day, you know, this song is for the lovers, you know, so it's always a good time for the lovers. And I got with my boy. Shout out to my boy Charlie Burrell and Cheris Burrell for helping me put this one together. And I'm just excited that this song is, you know, beyond just being for the lovers, is a dance, feel good track, and you know, something that's.
Speaker 4: Very different from what I've heard from you.
Speaker 5: Very sure, for sure, there's definitely a left turn from all my other music.
Speaker 3: But I'm really happy about it, excited that it's out, you know.
Speaker 2: And world premiere of Let's Go Fall in Love from Grammy Award winning artist Cory Henry available right now on Spotify. Let's Go Fall in Love from Grammy Award winning artist Corey Henry and Corey let me in our conversation with this question, and it kind of connects back to Let's Go.
Speaker 4: Fall in Love.
Speaker 2: I was not amazed or surprised that you won, because I know about your keyboard virtuosity, but you Jean Batist, who just performed the national anthem for the Super Bowl, and Alicia Keys were among the nominees in the annual Pianote Awards, honoring the top pianists and virtuosos in the world. What the Live Peanotes Awards will be broadcast next Thursday.
Speaker 4: What does it mean to be seen in that company or heard more?
Speaker 3: Actually?
Speaker 5: Oh, this is incredible, man, that's incredible to be just in the company's amazing players and amazing musicians, amazing people.
Speaker 3: You know, I didn't even know that was happening. Yes, you got.
Speaker 2: So many awards and accolades. You're You're among the number you're you're in the member now. I'm just glad to be in the number one right one more time? God, And your cup is running over, running over. Oh yes, that's it's just it's beautiful.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: I put out a piano album right like last year or something like that, and uh, and I've been devoting more time to the instrument. When I listened to John Baptiste play, you know, since you mentioned them specifically, and and all the time that I've spent with him, you know, working on music and things. When I hear him play, I'm inspired by the way he is trying to always like use the instrument like as a resource or a source of energy of like freshness, and like he's never being fake about, you know, playing the instrument. And I was like, I just always love that. And I got a piano in my house now, so I like practice every day and and I really put time. I grew up as an organ player, if I said that before, but I grew up as an organ player, so you know, the piano is a different world.
Speaker 4: It's a completely different instrument. I mean, it's their night and day.
Speaker 3: Night and day, night and day.
Speaker 5: And to be recognized, uh, for a piano is like, oh man, most of my favorite music is coming from the piano, you know, And almost every time I mentioned a favorite musician of mine is normally a piano player. So to be recognized in this honor is humbled and grateful and thank you.
Speaker 2: Very quickly before we close out, what's coming up next? Anything that you want to share? And of course how can people find you on social media if they haven't already?
Speaker 3: What's coming up next?
Speaker 5: I am gearing up to start the church fellowship.
Speaker 4: Church doors are now the church.
Speaker 3: The church.
Speaker 4: That's very specific.
Speaker 3: One is there one?
Speaker 4: We will be.
Speaker 5: Going up, oh man, once a month in LA and once a month in New York. Uh, there'll be more details. You could catch me on my Instagram or which is Corey Henry c O R Y Henry or X is the same thing Corey Underscore Henry. But yeah, you see some things that I'll be posting. And I got a lot more music happening. I've got a lot more releases happening, and.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's it. That's about it right now.
Speaker 2: I means you got a lot more appearances and times you got to stop by here, because anytime you got something, you got to stop by here Later, Mo Kelly, we would love to have you.
Speaker 3: I would so glad.
Speaker 5: I would be so glad to come back and and share all this new stuff that's going on.
Speaker 3: For sure, I.
Speaker 2: Will tell you, as I tell other friends of the show. Your success is our success, and we celebrate you and salute you. Congratulations Corey Henry on your Grammy Award for Best Roots Gospel Album.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Thank you, thank thank it over.
Speaker 2: It's Later with Mo Kelly caf I AM six forty live everywhere in the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty