Speaker 1: And I cannot wait any longer because our next guest, well he needs no introduction, but let's get right to it. The legend himself, Coach Ron McBride on the show on a Friday.
Speaker 2: Look at you, Coach Mac, Happy Friday.
Speaker 3: Happy Friday to you. Yeah, it's been.
Speaker 2: Good, great to see it, great to see it.
Speaker 1: So of course we're out here at the former Legacy Center with our friend Larry, who are getting a picture with. Tell me about your relationship with Larry, Coach. How long have you guys known each other for?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I go back with the formers.
Speaker 4: She's how many years at least?
Speaker 2: Larry? Do you have a few minutes? Yeah, why don't you throw these on? Let's let's make it a family affair.
Speaker 1: Here is Larry Falmer joins us once again live with the former Legacy Center.
Speaker 2: So you guys go back a long long way.
Speaker 5: Absolutely tell you a quick story due just for an example, he comes to you know, whenever we have a sad thing happened, like a death, you can make sure the coach is there.
Speaker 3: And he was there for all our sad time. Fortunate and Uncle.
Speaker 5: Jean passed away and Coach Uh and Frank Layden were at the at the funeral and as I walked by, they grabbed me and said, hey, we got to make your golf tournament the biggest this year and now we need to capitalize on this. These guys deserve it. And so, uh, coach McBride and coach Leyden met with me. Uh, we had breakfast, we plan out some some things for the for the golf tournament. Coach McBride come to my physical therapy clinic and he says, okay, let's come in here and let's see if we can get some sponsors. And he pulls out his phone and he starts going through and I couldn't believe the book, the book.
Speaker 3: And numbers that he has he can run for.
Speaker 5: He started calling people and we had it was really good though. Anyway, it was very successful. And uh and and he's our honorary golf chair and every.
Speaker 2: Year it's wonderful. That is wonderful. So coach, what do you make I mean, this is this is beautiful.
Speaker 4: This has been their dream for as long as I've known them to have their own building, and this has taken a lot. I mean, I feel bad for Larry because he's he lives in idleho somebody, and he spends more time here than he does and idle. And he moved there because he wanted to get the quiet and this get away from this life. Right, But now he's more because this is a big This is a big this is a big deal and it's a big nut to crack too. But it's been that it's been their dream forever. And and I tell you what, they made their dream come true. And the building is awesome and everything they have in here, from academics to to to scene to getting kids, giving kids a second chance to do things. I mean, everything that that my foundation stands for is the same thing that these that the former stands for.
Speaker 3: So it's it's uh.
Speaker 4: And I've been to all the boxing events he's had here since he started, since went the Golden Gloves and that that was outstanding.
Speaker 3: And but the thing that impressed me most is the facilities. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, A long way from a chicken coop.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it is far far away from a chicken And it was it was a dream, you know, for for these guys going back twenty some years, you know, because they had the three boys and.
Speaker 4: Jeane Don and Jay yeah and all you know, high level, high level guys, with Gene being the most famous of the three. But uh, the history of boxing in Utah goes through the through.
Speaker 2: The filmer for sure.
Speaker 1: For sure, Larry, I wonder what your reaction is when you see coach walk in and see all the support that you've received on this great day.
Speaker 5: You know, it just, uh my heart just took a few extra leaps there just a minute ago when he walked in. He just he just brings something about him. I mean, everybody that knows Coach, it doesn't matter whether he knows him or not, he's gonna he's giving him a hug. Oh yeah, you know, he walks by everybody and he's hugging everybody and nobody is a stranger to coach him McBride And that's that's so.
Speaker 3: There's the interesting thing.
Speaker 4: Deanthor Wiler's girlfriend is Jamal Anderson's daughter.
Speaker 3: That last time I sawrow was when she was born.
Speaker 2: You know, I didn't know that.
Speaker 4: And then me when I walked in here, she gave me a big hug and kiss and I said, my god, girl, I can't believe.
Speaker 3: You're all grown up. Wow.
Speaker 1: Jamal Anderson for our listeners, Jamal was an incredible running back for coaching bride at you.
Speaker 2: I didn't realize that. I didn't know that.
Speaker 3: Larry. Larry calls me this morning.
Speaker 4: He says, yeah, he said, I just picked up at the airport and uh, he brought his girlfriend.
Speaker 3: I said, well, that's awesome. He said, you know who his girlfriend is. I said no. He says, that's Jamal Anderson's daughter. I said, what.
Speaker 2: Do you talk to Jamal? And you keep in touch with Jamal?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, he called me.
Speaker 4: He called me about a week and a half ago because he was redoing his mom's house in California.
Speaker 3: And yeah, but this is this is.
Speaker 2: Again everybody knows, coach. Have you ever have you ever figured have you ever considered running for mayor?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: No, I'm not. I don't want to. Politics is too heavy these days. I don't need I don't need that. I don't need that.
Speaker 1: Play coach, tell me, tell me your thoughts on your place in our community though, I mean things like this.
Speaker 2: You know, you walk in everybody wants to talk to you. I mean kind of wherever you go.
Speaker 1: I mean, you're known as that football coach from the you, but you're you're known for so many other things.
Speaker 2: In our community. Tell me how that lands with you?
Speaker 4: Well, you know that they you know, my whole deal is, UH is to be take care of the people that need to be taken care of in this community. And so I lean on a lot of people to help me and help us and uh and and then we give help back. And that's what it's all about, you know, I mean, I mean what you need to do is, you know, take care of the take care of the young people, give them much chance to to grow and and see the see that they can have a better life. And you know, that's kind of what Ever, since I was a kid, you know, and where I came from, that was that was uh kind of what what we believed then, you know, taking taking care of people who who have problems.
Speaker 1: Coach Ron McBride is with us, Larry Fomer of course as well. Larry five o'clock hour New listeners. What do you want our listeners to know about what we have going on here?
Speaker 3: Today?
Speaker 5: We've we've had our ribbon cutting and ground opening of the former new former Legacy Center in South Jordan, Utah.
Speaker 3: And UH, it's just been an amazing day so far.
Speaker 5: We're going to finish the day here with some a little of VI I p uh uh uh dinner and then a boxing show and we got Craig Bowler, Jack is coming to be the mc alex boy as coming to sing the national anthem. And we've got Coach here and Deontae and Fez Oquendo.
Speaker 3: This is just unbelievable.
Speaker 5: Fred, he's well, he's right, he's been here all afternoon. I'm sure he hasn't left. Uh, I'll get you, I'll get you to it.
Speaker 3: But we interviewed him a little while.
Speaker 1: We did, and you know, it's funny you wrote his name down and I had no frame of reference for just how a comp.
Speaker 2: Pushed he was. So I did it cut Google search and like he took a vander Holyfield to tell, oh, yeah, yeah he did, Yeah he did. He was great.
Speaker 1: Well, look, Larry, give our listeners a website contact information.
Speaker 5: So if you'll go to the former Legacy dot org. Uh, that's our website. It's a beautiful website. Uh and uh it'll give you information and history. It'll give you our boarded directors. It will give you phone numbers and address for our facility.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 5: It'll also, most importantly for us, there's a donate button on there.
Speaker 3: Hey, so where are we financially now?
Speaker 5: We're we're we raised just six about six million dollars worth, one million dollars short.
Speaker 2: One more million and we'll have the.
Speaker 4: Sore three or four weeks ago, he says, three, I'm two million dollars short.
Speaker 3: And I said, and we gotta pay.
Speaker 4: What is he got to pay something on we Well, we we have along with some Yeah, so a loan with to make I'm thinking, I'm thinking maybe sweat.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it makes me loose.
Speaker 2: Yeah, here he is.
Speaker 3: He's trying to live this quiet life.
Speaker 4: You know, he went on the ld S mission and then he comes home, buys his place in Idol.
Speaker 3: Because I want a quiet life.
Speaker 2: And here he is.
Speaker 5: You know, he's anyway. Hey, but it's just fun. This is This has been an exciting day. It's been an emotional day. Uh, just thinking of the legacy that I have and and you've helped keep that legacy going.
Speaker 4: Well, the important thing is that the former family is outstanding and and what they care about, and they've never lost their their focus on what they're about.
Speaker 2: For sure, Coach.
Speaker 1: Before I say you guys loose, you fans will kill me if I don't ask you a football question.
Speaker 2: Okay, you were at spring football.
Speaker 4: I was.
Speaker 2: I saw you there sitting next to Spenceycles. What did you see that you liked? We can have a better year two in the beginning.
Speaker 3: So I went, I went. I went there three or four times, and I went over there and I talked to Jason. Jason.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I talked to Jason for a long time one day when everybody was out recruiting. And so Jason had worked for me.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And uh, he's grown a lot, and uh he understands the system. The system is good.
Speaker 3: It works.
Speaker 4: You have your receivers have to be very skilled because that and it's all based on read option stuff and so it's a new concept and that you know. They so they have a bunch of X B Y you guys coaching the offense. So except for Jim Hardy, who's still there, who's really a great offensive line guy, I think the offensive line potentially, I think he's very good. And I think they have enough depth there the running backs. You know, the kid from Washington State is a real player. I think the Cavalio kid that they got out of Hawaii, I think he's a very good receiver. He's an inside guy, very quick, good change of direction. I don't know about the outside guys. I mean I would be a little concerned there. Maybe quarterback, Like I like the starter. I think he's a nice, nice player, fits the system. And then Isaac is kind of, you know, working to get himself into the second spot.
Speaker 3: But Isaac is kind of you know, and following his career.
Speaker 4: I've known him since he's been ten years old, and he's he worked his way up at Corner Canyon to where he was really a really good player, and he'll do the same thing at Utah. He just needed a little time, you know. He was thrown in to the mix too soon. But he earned the position, you know. I mean he earned it in spring when he came there as a freshman. And I think as long as he doesn't lose his focus, I think he'll become a real quality quarterback. And actually the number three guy, the left handed guy. I really like him, yeah, because he fits the offense because he can run, they can throw, he can create. And then defensively, I think there, I don't think they're good in the defensive line as they have been, but I think they still have quality players in there. The edge guy they brought from from Oregon, I think will be a really good player. Linebacker. I think very solid. Corners are good, the safeties are good. So I think they have a you know, I think they have a solid team, unless you never know what's going to happen. They got through spring and everything seemed to be intact, and now the idea is to get into the fall and then you know, injuries can always can always hurt your progress. And I think if they if you ask them what they're looking for right now, they would probably say they're looking for speed receivers. So that's probably where that's probably the room that they're probably the least happy about, I think. But that's only speculation, you know, just on what people tell me. But I but I look forward to to them having a nice team. This will be a little different because traditionally Kyle doesn't like a speed up type offense because he likes to control the game defensively and with the kicking game.
Speaker 3: So this will be different.
Speaker 4: When you're running one play every twelve seconds and all of a sudden you have a three and out, that'll push more pressure on your defense.
Speaker 3: So we'll see how it works. But I think that the concept is good. It works.
Speaker 4: They got quarterbacks that can run the offense, and they got good running backs and so well, you know, I think it's a I think everything was positive.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you so much for your time. We'll set you guys loose. Great to see you. Okay, well good, thanks so much. Thank you,