Speaker 1: All right, Ryan, we're back for an emergency broadcast on the Odyssey because there's obviously a dearth of right wing podcasters given their takes on this movie.
Speaker 2: Well, where to begin, right?
Speaker 1: So I wrote a review on The Odyssey on Keith Woods dot COM's dot com.
Speaker 2: Now not that pub by the way, maybe not in the world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, eat, pray sale quite like that title.
Speaker 2: But like I said, i'd start at review, right.
Speaker 1: I wanted to not like this movie, like I wanted it to be a failure, but I was expecting to enjoy it because I am actually a fan of Christopher Nolan.
Speaker 2: I think you are as well.
Speaker 1: We both we both the right Interstellar, especially quite highly.
Speaker 2: Well, i'll call myself an X fan.
Speaker 3: Now, I saw the last four films in IMAX, and I think they've got gradually worse. I was very disappointed after Oppenheimer. It was very fireless, fire a semetic and I was very surprised by the glowing reviews universally. And and this was even worse. It's it's barely even the Odyssey anymore. It's a grand departure from the true values of of the the of Homer, which is the foundation of Western civilization. And it went beyond all my expectations and was even worse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well we can get into that, but let's let's start with the origin of the Big shutout online, which was the casting. And like I said, I would have I would have been critical of this movie regardless. But if I enjoyed the movie, if I thought it was a good movie, I probably would have just been silent apparat from making fun of the ridiculous and choices. Well, actually it was just I thought a really bad movie. But the cast in is actually one of the big reasons, Like this is not a secondary thing that he had to satisfy for political reasons or something that really does spoil immersion in the movie. It's also a lot worse than I think any of us thought it would be than the worst Nolan Hayders were predicting. And weirdly enough, when it came out, people were saying, oh, there's only you know, four or five minutes of the Peter Youngo as Helen of Troy and Ellen Page's character they.
Speaker 2: Just get a few minutes of screen time.
Speaker 1: But it's actually much worse than that because Sinnan Ellen or Earliot Page's character is actually a pivotal character to the story opens to the movie and then has that super important scene in the middle with talking to Odysseus from Hades, which is meant to deliver an important moral lesson. But then you also have character weren't really talked about, this guy, I think his name is Himesh Patel as odysseus right hand man, who's in the movie. Apparently for about a third of the screen time. You have a super multi racial ship crew belonging to Odysseus. Right, You've got an East Asian guy there, there's an African guy there, the the Indian second in command, and then even the suitors there's an African there, Mung the Trojan soldiers, obviously Helen of Troyce. So it's really sprinkled throughout this movie. There isn't like an important act where these characters don't feature heavily. And obviously, I mean, you know, just aside from the political problems of this that you know, it's obviously encouraging white iratire with this foundational European epic, but it really spoils immersion in the movie. Like people talk about this and they're like, oh, you know, you just it should never bring your politics into it. But it's like, it's one thing if this was a play or some kind of modern interpretation of of an old story. But Nolan himself has set the standard that he's gone out of the way to have realism. And he said he wouldn't let people wear uggs, on said and all this kind of thing, and he was trying to think of super realistic ways to make this like the Bronze Age. And on top of that you have a story which the background for it is how fatally perilous it is to try and navigate even a small pocket of the Mediterranean and the Bronze Age, and then you have people that somehow from all around the world have wound up on odysseus ship. So it totally kills the emotion. It's much worse than the Chuds could have imagined.
Speaker 2: I mean this is political for me.
Speaker 3: I'm a European man from the Western heroic tradition and it's a total inversion of the heroic. Matt Damon is awfully cast as Odysseus. I think you were right to point out that the cheeky Sean bean that appeared in Troy was a far more fitting casting choice. Tom Holland was awful as Telemachus. He's he kind of appears as like a dragon mothered absolute soy boy. And you know in the Odyssey, Tellimachus travels to Sparta and then he's told the story of Orestes avenging the murder of his father, and that gives him the impetus to, you know, help restore his father's house. But when we when he gets to Sparta, it's a Menelaus that ancient historians have brought up looks awfully like the image of Andrew Date.
Speaker 1: This was a there's some void historian that had this take that Menelaus is supposed to be best Andrew Tate, and the the online rate was like, lambassa and her, but we're both kind of sympathetic, I take.
Speaker 2: I think it's probably true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and well it is a very intentional choice because who else in the movie or who in the Bronze Age has like a totally bald head and then the full beard and kind of complexion as.
Speaker 2: Well skin tone. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and of course he's you know, objectifying Helen, and you know.
Speaker 3: He's just yeah, she's a she's a beaten woman, she's got scars on on the side of her face, and it just seems as though Christopher Nolan is a complete feminist simp I mean his success. They were actually free in an Olan clan. There's his brother Jonathan, who is a contributor to the writing and the ideas, and his producer is his wife who goes by her maiden name Emma Thomas is it.
Speaker 2: And I they met a university. They met in the first week of university.
Speaker 3: Nolan invites her to the film society and they're never a part since they've been together for almost forty years. They have four children, and I believe their relationship is like the ultimate progressive English equal marriage is really how you should understand the kind of ideas that Nolan is pushing here.
Speaker 1: Well, you give me an interesting detail that she reworked the original Interstellar script to make Murph a girl.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean yeah.
Speaker 3: Jonathan Nolan apparently he originally wrote it as a son and Christopher Nolan's wife intervened and said, well why not make it, you know, a daughter relationship and she becomes the great greatest scientists of all time. Well, you know, we can we from women's achievements in science. They haven't so far lived up to what men have achieved. So yeah, it does feel a bit unrealistic at the end of Interstellar, but you know, this is just cinema.
Speaker 2: Now. Women are becoming far more.
Speaker 3: Involved as directors, screenwriters. You know, there are many feminist films now. Young girls are being raised on Frozen, which has a very feminist plot, you know, Selene's Song, the Korean and many other films. Hamnetts came out this year, also very feminine film. I woon say it's feminist, but it's you know, in the feminine world very much, and this is becoming an increasing feature of Hollywood films.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, let's get into the movie. I mean, so said, I said, like Odysseus, as Norlan presents him, he's he's a hero for the therabeutic age, and it's really unimagined, unimaginative what he's done and that he's taken. This character that is very interesting and multi layered as presented by Homer. You know, he has elements that are egotistical and selfish, and you know, even puts his own men's lives at risk.
Speaker 2: Obviously, the story.
Speaker 1: With him having the hubris to go back and deliver his name to the Cyclops as the best example, because it gets some curse and causes all these problems. But Nolan has just kind of collapsed everything into a very common kind of Hollywood trope or archetype of basically the kind of grizzled, pensive American war veteran. And that's how Damon plays him. And yeah, I thought the casting, I mean, outside of the diversity, hers was very poor as well. Holland is the worst example, I mean, just so it's wooden and bland, but Damon was very poor as well. But it's hard to know how much even blamed for that, because this is how Nolan.
Speaker 2: Wrote the character.
Speaker 1: Is he's just this grizzled, like Vietnam war vet who's basically the entire movie kind of processing his guilt. And that's the worst thing about the movie is perfect anything else. It's just not very fun or entertaining, right, I Mean, they kind of cycle through these plot points that Nolan feels like he has to take off, and it's kind of episode by episode, but it never has this epic feel because it doesn't really feel like there's any world outside of, you know, the immediate vicinity of what the characters are encountering at any one time, and it's supposed to be this you know, sprawling epic across the Mediterranean, but all you really see is kind of the coastlines that they land on and then run from stretches of sea and the inside of his palace and Ehaica. So it never feels like this, like I said, sprawling epic that he had a huge budget to deliver on, and he kind of cycles through these episodes and some of them, you know, some of them you can tell his heart wasn't really into it and he had to he had to get through it. You know. He tried to do obviously the Great Sea Monster without any CGI and it was a little bit lacking, and he kind of rushed that scene a little bit. But yeah, I mean it's all you know, it's all there really to build up to this climax of O this he is dealing with the suitors, and even that doesn't really land.
Speaker 2: I mean, I found it had no emotional core to it.
Speaker 1: At the end, like he gets reunited with Telemachus and you know, it's Matt Damon and Tom Holland with these flat expressions and then they move on and you get this very I thought disappointing climax scene as well with the you know, at least in the story, you have kind of a resolution to Telemachus's arc where he helps his father dispatched the suitors. In this he doesn't even do that, right, he tossed the weapon from the roof, and mestically, the whole arc of Telemachus is like he gets bullied and shared owned by his mother and the suitors for the whole film, has this very lackluster, flat reunion with his father, tosses him a sword at important point in the movie, and then gets made king. Like no one has a satisfying Eric I mean, Odysseus. This is the whole thing. Nolan's Odysseus really has no arc. Like in Homer, he has an excess of certain virtues you could say, or he has you know, he has traits that are misapplied, and you know, he basically learns the lesson of the proper place to use his martial excellence, which is in defense of his home and of his family, and he becomes a more rounded person. And obviously that's the core of any good story, is that there's a you know, satisfying, progressing, logical character arc. Well, the arc in this basically, as we find out at the end, is that he's super guilt ridden for troy and he's all guilty and pensive for three hours, and then he processes his guilt by I guess speaking it out. He has a scene where he expresses his guilt to his wife and reaches out for the apparition of Athena, which turns out is probably just at least this is my theory, is just a kind of PTSD projection of his guilt, and once he's kind of processed and he's lived back through the events of the Sack of Troyes, she disappears.
Speaker 2: So essentially his whole character Eric is that.
Speaker 1: He's a guilty, mournful guy for three hours and I guess eventually processes his guilt and then leaves Ithaca. So there's there's no real character progression there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and all the real lessons of the Odyssey and Iliad are almost completely left out, apart from the idea of homecoming. Even the notion of Oikos the restoration of the Lord in his high is kind of subverted because he doesn't even take the throne. He just sails off into the sunset with his wife because it's what she wants to do.
Speaker 2: Well, that's the implication.
Speaker 3: And the film just completely strips out all these lessons that you know, are basically created by wise men bards to increase cultural, social political complexity. I mean, Xenia is a you know, obviously a big part of the film. And the right hospitality, the right level of hospitality to travelers strangers, you know, because they might be a god. But you know, in the Greek mythology that is clearly aiding social complexity and trust in the Aegean because everything's moving through by ships and you know, trade and high trust is needed, and you know, these things really matter. A great thing that was left out is Troy is destined to be destroyed because Paris chooses Eros over power and wisdom. So Paris has to choose from the free goddesses Aphrodite, Hera, and Athena, and he chooses Aphrodite, which is his lust. So Troy is destined to fall because of Paris's choice, and also because the Trojans didn't pay their debts. So King Priam's father had Poseidon built the impregnable walls, and he Poseidon was never paid. So again that talks about like commercial trust, and you know, there are just so many lessons that have left out.
Speaker 1: I mean it is you actually had knowed a little bit though, just you don't know a bit to be you know, gone through all of the Homeric virtues and complaining that Christopher Nolan isn't like making this some great morality tale for men of the West.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, he's up against it. It is.
Speaker 3: It is a complex story. You know, a lot of it is told in the original text, is told through the Fiatians when Odysseus slands there. I mean, why don't we talk about the very start. Well, I don't know, this is all just like.
Speaker 2: I don't know, it's it's very.
Speaker 1: It's I think it's a bit pretentious to go through all of the like Homeric virtues and and want this classical tale. I mean, obviously you're going if you're gonna have a modern adaptation in IMAX as a big like one point two billion dollar blockbuster, Okay, it's not gonna be all of these lessons in the Greek virtues. But I mean, like, let's get to the fundamental problem. The fundamental problem, apart from it being very diverse and having this awful cast.
Speaker 2: It's just very gay, right, Like that again is the absence of the masculine virtues.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I mean the thing is like I would be open to some kind of modern interpretation or you know, him being a bit subversive with it, but it's not even subversive in a brave way. Like it's just the most basic boomer slop, which is like be kind to strangers. As he said in an interview, is actually the message of the movie war veteran archetype processes is guilt. You know that old trope that's been done to death for decades now. And listen to your female conscience. You know, it's the most safe, basic like the postwar consensus is important, you dare Christian values of the foundation of civilization, and even that it's one thing if if you want to make some you know, Clint Eastwood style movie Grand Tarino, that this kind of thing has these kinds of lessons as well, like if you if you want to insert that, fine, but why do it to the Odyssey? Like all of the things you could have done with the Odyssey, and his idea was to make Odysseus of all people, a kind of Homer character. Who's racked with guilt or for war. It's just not I don't know, it's not saying anything interesting of all the things you could do with that character.
Speaker 2: Like what kind of contribution is that.
Speaker 3: Look, I'm not asking for their handmaids to be hung at the end. I'm not asking for brutal graphic violence. I'm just asking for some of the basic lessons of Iliad Odyssey, which is the foundation of the West, which does matter to our culture. And yeah, I mean talking about the history the Bronze Age in the area of the Mediterranean. During the Bronze Age, these were quite matriarchal earth mother pantheons and our ancestors, the Indo Europeans, came down and they turned the culture into a martial, aristocratic heroic culture. And Iliad Odyssey they represent the emergence of the individual as a named hero. And Ricardo lu Shane does a great job of speaking about this in his book Greatness and Ruin. That's the Mycenaean culture. It's you know, we talk about the West as this individualism, but really it's an aristocratic egalitarianism. And you know, the first scene in the Iliad is an argument between Agamemnon and Achilles over the right of Bresaeus. And again that's a devolution of power from the tyrant the met you know, the warriors need to be paid their debt and all these you know, all these things are stripped out, as you say, into the feminine conscience. But that is really our culture. It's the the celestial gods overcoming the earth Mother gods in that region because of the Indo European invasion, turning it into an aristocratic complex culture.
Speaker 2: And that's been totally stripped out.
Speaker 3: And the fact that conservatives and the general public can't even recognize that's what's been done just shows how much our culture has lost its masculinity, lost its complexity, and it's all being drawn back into this social cowardice.
Speaker 2: And femininity.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I mean again, like one point two billion dollar blockbusters, are we really expecting Noland to tell us a story about the Indo European warrior culture, subjugate and the Earth Mother? What was it would have been early European firm or cultures there, right, I mean, like us get to the basic problem, I mean, the basic message that would be interesting to explore in the Odyssey that you actually can do with a sort of modern interpretation in a blockbuster format. It's basically that yes, worry of Ekos. It's the you know, the contrast is Achilles and Odysseus, and Achilles chooses immortality, true glory rather than a long comfortable life where he was prophecy that he would you know, find love and and you know, have a great home life and family and so on. And Odysseus is kind of the flip side of that, where he's willing to reject immortality itself to go back to what's his, to go back to Ithaca and his own family and his own people. And you know, it gets to the art of the difference between how the ancients viewed home versus the kind of impoverished view of home we have now, where there's there's this much more totalizing folkish view where you know, you have gods within your household and within your family familiar lineage, and then you have you know, gods and laws within your city, which your family is a part of. And it's it's this set of kind of overlapping circles of belonging and law. But you know, you only have mina, not as an individual, but you know, coming from these things that that creates your familiar lineage, your city, your ethnos. And that's a really interesting thing to explore the fact that Odysseus is willing to take this other path, and although he is a very in some way's egotistical or you could say, lustful, glory seeking individual, that home still has his pull on him. And of course, the you know, the really credible scenes in the Odyssey is when he encounters Achilles in Hades, who kind of gives the other perspective on that resas that actually he would rather be servant to the lowliest farmer and living than be king over.
Speaker 2: All the people in Hades. So I think that's a really interesting thing to explore.
Speaker 1: And you know, people that defend this say, oh, well, you had to put that in kind of a modern friendly moral lesson. But it's, like, you know, Troy, all the problems that movie had in two thousand and four, it was able to resent some things that were a bit, you know, kind of against our modern ethos, even in the character of Achilles and that he does choose a life of war and glory over a long comfortable life. I think the honesty could have been really interesting as an exploitation on the flip.
Speaker 2: Side of that.
Speaker 1: But instead what you get is like Ithaca really has no meaning in this film. Ithaica is just this background thing. I mean, it's just the name of the place where his wife and son happen to live.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: You don't get this sense that he's returning to something that kind of completes him, that you know that he has this longing for home. It's just like, yeah, he's got to go home and be a dad, right, He's got to fulfill his role as a you know, a suburban PTSD American dad. And of course how does the film end, Right, He gets back to Ithaca, this incredible reunion, this incredible story of KOs and he goes on a cruise with his wife.
Speaker 2: Right, as every every boomer.
Speaker 1: Knows, is the dream of a fulfilled life is you're going to go off and spend your retirement money and go cruising, which you're white and Norlan has now inserted that sent to multiple movies right those Batman as well. Batman becomes this incredible Nietzschean overman and overcomes and imposes order and morality on the world and succeeds and turns himself into into this weapon of justice.
Speaker 2: And of course what's the payoff.
Speaker 1: He gets to go holiday and around Europe with Anne Hathaway, which is the same payoff Matt Damon gets. So I think that says a lot about Nolan's mindset approaching these things.
Speaker 3: I mean, what about the absence of the erotic female, like sir say, you know, turns his men into pigs and he has to sleep with her to relinquish his men. Calypso sexually enslaves him for seven years, and it's actually said in the original text that he just sat on the rock and looked out to say, like wanting to leave, as she kept him there.
Speaker 2: So Zeus sends Hermes to.
Speaker 3: Get Odysseus back on his way, But the women in the story are totally de sexualized. Calypso functions as a kind of nursing figure, just giving him the painkillers through the lotus eater, which is kind of changed a little bit.
Speaker 2: Sir say, is a rape victim?
Speaker 3: You know, Well, that's the implication, you know, that's how it's acted, and that's you know, how the audience will see it. Surely the Handmaids twelve of the Handmaids are sleeping with the suitors and causing chaos in his home. That's excluded almost entirely, and in Hades in the original text, Odysseus meets a procession of women he as well as his mother. His mother tells him about you know, his his son who's struggling and he's dying father. And then he meets a procession of women, the bad women, Epicasta who marries her son, Europhile, who chooses gold over devotion to her husband, Ariadne, who helps Feseus and betrays her father. And then he also meets the good women, the devoted wives, and the great queens.
Speaker 2: And you know, so much of the real text is about the.
Speaker 3: Cosmic order being restored through patriarchy and also Zenya, so.
Speaker 2: You know, we get we get none of that.
Speaker 1: It is interesting. They all have a kind of therapeutic rule. I mean, even Calypso when he's when he leaves, it's just this kind of thing where they have a conversation and she's like, yeah, okay, I guess I'll let you go. You're ready to go, and then she gives them this lesson, which is basically, you have to learn to let go and stop trying to control things and stop trying to impose your masculine order on the world, you know, important lesson for Odysseus of all people. And then he you know, lays flat on a board and the sea transports the mactehaca. Right, he just had to learn to let go and literally go with the flow. And yeah, then of course the you know, Circe as the rape victim, which I think he probably took from. There was a best selling historical novel a few years ago called Circe which imagined her in this way, this this traumatized kind of modern female archetype. But yeah, and of course every female character in it as well, is you know, kind of like they don't really have flows. They're kind of perfectly virtuous, right, like Helen is this victim of colonialism basically, because that's another thing of course we learned, is you know, of course Nolan has to de sacrilze everything, right, so the Trojan War was not actually about Helen of Troy's face.
Speaker 2: I'm sure Nolan saw that.
Speaker 1: And his kind of autistic mind, he has to make everything logical and makes sense and put into modern terms. And so it's kind of this double thing where it's one he's like autistic and he wants to make it a realistic world that makes sense to him. But then also there is a kind of leftist message where it's like she was actually the victim of a colonial war that was actually about Agamemnon wanted to secure trade routes. It was actually like a colonial, imperialist, capitalist war, and these people sin On, Helen of Troy, all these women and minority characters are.
Speaker 2: Just victims of this.
Speaker 1: And of course, you see, I think it was intentional as well that they chose Benny Safti. He's this kind of frail Jewish guy to play Agamemnon, and at the end you see him without his armor. You know, of course it's like, well, behind these these big colonial rulers with all these pretensions about themselves, it's it's just this frail, weak guy. I think that's very intentional as well. But yeah, they're you know, for all of the feminist writing, I mean, the female characters is very uninteresting, right, They're they're kind of it's funny in Wather, they're kind of more multifaceted in Homer and in some ways more you know, kind of more assertive and more interesting, more sensual and this they're all just the same kind of you know, tired female therapist archetype.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean Athena is the only one of the gods that appears Zous Poseidon, and how many is it left out? Okay, it might be hard to harder to include them, but I mean we were talking about this yesterday and you made a point about Athena being a kind of secularized.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think I think he wrote this movie to be totally secular. When I heard he was in the Odyssey, I figured he's not going to have anything supernatural, and he'll exclude the gods and probably at most you'll have you know, storms or something that like maybe the people at the time could blame it on the gods, but there'll be a way you can work a secular explanation into it. I think that's exactly what he did with the Tina. She's the only god or goddess you see, but she never intervenes throughout the movie, right, she doesn't intervene physically or anything. It's just him seeing her speaking to her. At one point we see he's talking to her and Clipso is there and doesn't doesn't notice her so I think she's just a projection of his guilt. And I think the proof of that is at the end when you see he's having the flashback of Troy and he sees the Trojan girl getting beheaded, it has the face of Atina. So I think that was the projection he was seeing throughout the movie, was a manifestation of the guilt, because that was like the worst example of the excess as he saw on the sack of Troy. And you know at the end, as he after he recounts all of that and goes through his guilt, he reaches out for a Dina and the apparition has gone and that's the last of her we see in the movie. So I think the messages at that point he has properly processed as guilt. For Nolan, I think that was supposed to be the the endpoint of the character Aric, that he processes guilt and accepted and accepted that he had disobeyed Zeus's law and created this chain of events, and then she is no longer needed. He no longer needs this projection to help him processes.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, Athene is obviously the great protector of Odysseus, she is incentivized for try to fall. I think she inspires the idea to create the Trojan horse. She's the goddess of craft, of intelligent warfare, of wisdom, and you know, you couldn't you couldn't really leave a finer out. She's integral to Odysseus as a character. But yeah, I mean your point about secularizing her, I definitely think there's something to it. I mean, in the Sack of Troy Ajax, the Lesser Rapes, I think it's Cassandra who's one of the priescesses in the temple, and then that's punished by Poseidon.
Speaker 2: He kills him on his way home.
Speaker 3: So in the original text, again and again the gods are intervening to restore the cosmic order, but we just live left with the therapy feminism.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, you know, that's like one of the worst things about the movie is this ptsd erck. He decides to give Odysseus, which I think is just so baffling, like, of all of the things to do with that character, and again you can reimagine aspects of the character, but it's like, this is the argument people make, is they say, oh, well, number one they say it would be too unpalatable for a modern audience to have a guy like Odysseus who you know, at some point in the Odyssey, they're just you know, casually like raid and enslave a coastal village, right, and he's he's too he's too morally gray, and you know, arguably in ways is unfaithful to Penelope and so on. But it's like, well, you know, I don't know where this idea has come from that modern audiences are so uncomfortable with morally questionable characters. I mean, if you talk about like a you couldn't possibly have a protagonist who's like a vainglorious sensual pirateeers, like well, the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise has made like four or five billion dollars or something insane. But also again, if you're adapting these things, it's like you can change elements of the story and you can make a modern but if if you want to tell a story about a guy with PTSD, like the Odyssey is not the story for that. You know, you can adapt things and make the modern, but you can't fundamentally change the character of it. I mean it's like if you do Macbeth adaptation, and it's about basically a virtuous king who has a really helpful, virtuous wife that helps him rulin the interest for everybody, Well, it's not Macbeth. Why you adopted Macbeth for that? And it just, yeah, it takes away so much of what's interesting about the story to make him this you know, troubled PTSD character owners Nolan is maybe just one of these kinds of directors that he can He seems like you can only write for one main character. You know, you see the same kind of personality profile with with Odysseus and with Oppenheimer and some of the other protagonists he's written. But it's just not satisfying.
Speaker 3: Why do you think the conservative media ended up glizing the film and completely.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's funny.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, I guess what we haven't even touched on yet is how Christian this story is. You know, That's what we're kind of getting at with the guilty feels. It's very much Nolan imposing his kind of post Christian or post Catholic view on it, and you kind of wonder how intentional that is, Like, in a sense, is Nolan just very kind of unquestioning of his moral premises, like this is something, this is kind of a calling card of Nolan Is. He creates these extremely complex artfaces.
Speaker 2: And you'll have this huge.
Speaker 1: You know, sci fi lore with something like Interstellar or you know, with the Odyssey. I'm sure he came up with very complex ways that all of this could make sense with the Trojan Horse and you know, ways to kind of secularly explain some of the things we're experiencing. But he'll have a very simple moral message, which you know, sometimes it works, like Interstellar is a pretty simple message, you know, transcending power of love, whatever else. But in this case, yeah, I mean, the message is just this basic kind of as he said, be kind to strangers. He universalizes Zenia into basically the Golden rule, and I think I think at one point in the closing speech near the end, they actually say that Xenia is do unto others, right, So he's totally imposed the Christian morality onto it. And then you know, he takes out all of the aspects of pagan heroic epics that are you know, kind of ichy to a modern Christian sensibility, and then he is a very Christian message of forgiveness, universal moral law based on on universal compassion and do unto others, And like, you wonder how intentional is that from Nolan or is it just he's totally unquestioning of these kinds of moral premises, and when he goes to try and write this story, he can't. He can't consider a pro antagonist with a different set of motivations. You can't think of an interest in payoff. That isn't kind of the old lessons of the postwar consensus. But it makes for a very flat, uninteresting story, even if it even if you put aside it being kind of disrespectful to the source material. But the weird thing about the conservative glads, I mean there's like regular conservatives that have glazed it, like the Daily Wire types, which somehow Matt Walsh is the only one holding the line. Thank you Matt Walsh. It's like also Matt Walsh.
Speaker 2: And like four or five others.
Speaker 1: But yeah, a lot of people have constructed this take as well, that it's like esoterically based, right, And what they say is, oh, this is so unlike modern Hollywood because it's a story about you know, a masculine dad coming home and he restores order, and you know, fulfills his role as father and kicks out on wanted invaders. And I'm you know, I've seen the very smart people having this tech as well. I think JF thought it was a base movie, which surprised me. But the response to that is, like everything people are saying in this that's subversive or against Hollywood or against modern values, it's all just the stuff that Nolan couldn't scrub from the basic story of The Odyssey. Right, It's like, yeah, okay, he adapted the Odyssey and it ends with the guy coming home killing unwanted suitors, and it's O, yeah, that's that.
Speaker 2: Is the Odyssey story. Right.
Speaker 1: So I don't see how they're coming up with that tech because everything that Nolan has changed was changed in a subversive kind of leftist way, right, Like, like I said that, you've all of these characters that are basically minority victims of colonial war, and it's only the things he's left in that people are reading that into it. But even in that case, it's like, you know, the go maybe it's about immigration. It's like the suitors are like the least multi racial part of the whole movie, right, Odysseus Son Cruz is fair more multiracial, So I don't see anyone would would kind of draw those those allegories, or even people were trying to say, you know, it's it's like it's about the specter of World War two and the guilt people feel and so on. That's that's kind of hamstring in Western man. It's like, there's no, there's not even the slightest illusion that any of any of this is, you know, that Troy is related to World War two or something that's it's not in the slightest suggested like that. It's just a basic kind of anti war narrative.
Speaker 3: I just think it's monumental cope. I think a lot of these people are completely ignorant of the lessons of the Greek myths. I think there are a lot of incentives for social and commercial cowardice. People don't want to be the naysayer, the bad guy, the guy that calls out the feminism. I think there's some evidence the ratings, the user ratings have been rigged. But you know, there are so many small accounts on social media saying how brilliant it is. It started to feel organic to me. This, Yeah, I think genuine consensus.
Speaker 1: I think it's a genuine consensus. Yeah, I mean the critics consensus is pretty much overwhelming. But yeah, I mean the average person I've talked to us seen this. I mean they think it's a great movie, which has baffled me because, like I said, even aside from any of the verse casts and put all of that aside, I think it's it's up there with Tenant as his worst movie. Maybe it's slightly better than Tenant, but I think it is so little to recommended. You know that the pacing is very odd. Dialogue is horrible. I mean, listen to the dialogue between the suitors and Telemachus. I mean it's just ridiculously bad. And obviously the line everyone has zoned in on her age of Bronze is coming to an end. I mean that's in a way that's quintessentially Nolan, where he has this ridiculously explicit, expository dialogue. But it's for some reason, it's far worse than this film, and so much of it is just people explaining things. But yeah, like I said, the pastin is poor. Like I said, these episodes are kind of they follow one another without ever really immersing you in it. None of these secondary characters are interesting at all. They're kind of just there as background to move the story along. Damon and his Odysseus is not compelling at all and doesn't really have an ERIC except for physical like he's physically moving places, but like nothing is really happening with the character except for him reliving guilt, which isn't really an ERIC. And even though the climax fight scene I thought was kind of kind of ridiculous.
Speaker 3: Oh it's awful, it's well one of the worst final fights I've ever saying, probably the worst ever. And Telemachus just being this passive bystander. It's just so hard to watch.
Speaker 1: But I think it does say something about the degree to which woke is won, because I mean, twenty years ago, if if a movie like this came out and they had a you know, a transactor like post surgery female to male and then they have African Hellen of Troy and all of these other racewop characters, I mean, you know, would conservatives have have watched it and said, well, actually, no, it's super it's super pro Western tail because of these other elements in it. I mean maybe, I mean, I guess no one talked about No one's really talking about race or anything on the conservative rut twenty years ago. But at the same time, I think there would have been a sense if you said this like four or five, six years ago, when there was his turn against wocism and some of these figures like Matt Walls were more willing to speak out on you know, anti whitism and wide erasure and film and culture and so on, that it felt like that was the direction things were going in. And you know, the conservative right for the most part, especially the younger ones, were going to turn against this kind of thing, and they were kind of digging their heels in. You know, they did like the boycott of it Wasn't a Budweiser that that Matt Walsh led for having the trans person and the advert, and there was just a sense of, you know, they're starting to get aware of the wide erasure that's happening in film and culture. A lot of the kind of chud YouTubers that that a log Disney and these kinds of things talk about this stuff a lot. Now you know, they're willing to boycott, they're willing to be noisy about It felt like it was going in the direction. But now you see this and they've all embraced it, except for, like I said, Matt Walsh, a few others. It's like, in a sense, they kind of took you know, they they went like four steps backward and then they took one step forward. But it was very it was very soft pushback because they will accept any of this stuff now, seemingly as long as you're not like explicitly in their face, you know, telling them they're evil and they should die. I mean, I don't know, I don't know why how he could have made it more walking in their face, but apparently that's that's that's.
Speaker 2: All you have to do.
Speaker 3: I think people are psychologically defeated, and they're they're bending, bending the knees of this kind of culture industry.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: You know, obviously Hollywood is trying to make money. They're trying to appeal to the biggest possible audience, as universal as possible, and you know, the essence of these ancient stories will be be lost in many of these retellings.
Speaker 2: But to the the extent to which that was true was unbelievable.
Speaker 3: And I think, you know, a lot of the consensus is now created on social media through influences and and social media is the ultimate democracy. The problem is that the police are retarded and cowardly, and they don't want to be the ones that have the bad word to say about the thing everyone's seeing and everyone's excited about. I mean, you know, we spoke about James Bond a few years ago. A feminist writer cucked Bond, made him a brooding single father, and killed him. And yet there were still James Bond fans on YouTube saying, Oh, it wasn't what I was expecting, but I think I'm going to see it again just so I can, like, maybe if.
Speaker 1: I watched the fourth time, I'll appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And you've got all these people on x now saying they're going to watch The Odyssey again in imax, oh, because it was so great in two D, and they're you know, they're bragging about going to see at four am, six am. It's just collective madness transmitted through social media, which is so influenced, influential on our lives. Now women are fully integrated into the culture. They're now power brokers, they're now consumers. They have a big say in the values that are projected in the culture. Industry, and this is a slot we're being served up now, and you know, white people are increasingly a minority. Masculine white men are an even bigger minority, and our voice is swamped by the cowards basically, Yeah, and.
Speaker 1: People that hate the Odyssey with the ultimate persecuted minority. But even if you want to talk about the kind of radical road, I mean, there was a sense people were being very critical of it before it came out, and everyone was making fun of the cast and choices. But then when it came out, there was a lot of people that were just like, well, you know, fine, but I don't want to shut out, like, you know, people trying to spin kind of you know, hot takes about how kind of brilliantly subversive what Nolan had done was, and it's like, you get the sense with some of them it's like that they just don't want to be which is understandable. People just don't want to feel like they're on the losing side all the time and constantly be complaining and constantly be pointing out how bad and subversive everything is. And so people said that. To me, it's like, well, you know, the right, it's not like creative if we're just criticizing stuff. It's like, yeah, but you know it's not you're not you're not creating some kind of master morality, but like pretending like modern liberal slop is really powerful and right wing or something. It's like that that's not going to change anything in the other direction if you just embrace this stuff, right, And it's like, you know, people are like, oh, well, why don't people just go create their own thing. It's like, well, actually, you know, even if we ignored this, it's like this is still going to be hugely influential, right, people actually want interest in good cultural critique. But I think there's a lot of people on the radical right now that like, after so many years of this, it's just like, well, you know, this, like mainstream culture is kind of lost, and this is just the direction of things, and the diversity and everything is just part of it, Like it is two point. I think it's just like, after so many years, even people on the very kind of radical ride that seem to have radical views just accept the feed in a certain way, and they may you know, they may hold the same beliefs, but then they get agitated by you know, the Matt Walsh types chilling out about this stuff. Like they don't like really any expression of it because they feel like it highlights their own powerlessness, so they want to pretend they're not powerless by you know, you know, we're embracing this and we're somehow kind of part of this ride. We're part of this culture. We're like right wing progressives that are okay with this. We're not totally losing and getting destroyed. It's like, well, okay, maybe you're okay with it, but these people still hate you and they're still doing this to dis wite you, and that's not actually going to change things or subvert anything if you support it from the sidelines.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: It's like I saw Richard Spencer with like he didn't want to he did like this movie, but then he saw that me and Martin Selner were being critical of it, So now he thinks he likes it and he wants to defend it. You know, that's kind of an interesting todd process, but we can give him as you. I think he did have the most novel take, which seems to be his goal. He just came out and said Odysseus was a Jew, which is that's an interesting approach to take.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know what their beliefs are exactly. I think they think that Troy is the ultimate expression of apollo.
Speaker 2: I don't think there's any point. Yeah that's not get but.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there are all these social media incentives, you know, wanting to own someone else, wanting to have the opposite take of someone else, and there's just so much ignorance, lack of willingness to read learn your real tradition.
Speaker 1: It's like the big influencers an't the problem because it's like Matt Watash is a huge audience and he can just say what he thinks because his audience agrees him. And he's like, yeah, this is trash. It's full of the verse, just like the based Chud take, Like, yeah, I didn't like it. It's all all the round people.
Speaker 2: It's like, yeah, it's.
Speaker 1: Good, good Matt Wallace says that. But it's like he can say that, right, And I'm totally honest about what I think about it. And I've been I've been you know, I've been good Alog and Christopher Nolan for the last week now, and I'm fine to just put out what I think about it and people are kind of going to respond regardless and it's someone like Nick Fintez like next says he enjoyed it. That's fine, you know, he's just gonna give his tack out there. The real problem is like the people where it's like the Twitter accounts would like three or four or five thousand Twitter followers that they're like, well, I'm not like the other right wingers, right, I'm not like the other gropers. I'm not like the other nationalists. I have this super like esoteric intellectual I'm right wing progressive. This is the few things I have. And they're like try and like ape the contrarianism of more intelligent people like Spencer, you know, two degree is intelligent that they kind of try and ape his contrarianism or they try and you know maybe like a novelty technick point as will have. But it's like, no, actually, you are just like kind of a you know, you are just like a stupid jod That's that's that's train a rap as these people that actually have character, and that's like that's like a.
Speaker 2: Huge amount of the Twitter right now.
Speaker 1: It's like people don't want to be part of a mass and they want to like differentiate themselves a little bit and and kind of curate their own following if they have a few thousand followers. And it's just like that typical thing of like everyone wanting to be a chief, everyone wanted to have a hot take, and people just aren't really behind. You know, let's all shut out on Christopher Nolan for a week. It's just not very appealing to people anymore.
Speaker 3: What did you think about the intellectual reviews from the lights of you know, Tom Holland and Emily Wilson, I mean Emily Wilson.
Speaker 2: Basically if you read into her how she Yeah, I didn't.
Speaker 1: I didn't look at what Holland said, but yeah, I mean, I mean the Wilson text says it all. I mean what Moready said. I mean, she's she said that kind of the same thing as we been alluding to that there's no there's no sense.
Speaker 2: Of heroism or glory in the film. That he just made Odysseus this kind of sad, brooding character. I mean, he says it all.
Speaker 1: Everyone assumed she'd love this super liberal feminist interpretation, but I think in her case it's probably like, well, you know, even if she is a super leftist, since she wanted to have this leftist message. It's like, well, it will probably land better if it was a more compelling movie, or it was a bit more like The Odyssey, right. I mean, she obviously recognizes this is just you know, kind of modern boom or Hollywood slob.
Speaker 3: That that seemed to be the take from most of the classicists that I've seen on YouTube and clips. They were quietly critical without looking to annoyed. But Tom Holland, I've been laying into him on X.
Speaker 1: I just think point you're talking about the historian. The actor that played Telemachus is kind of an important talking about the historian, the author of Dominion. He's part of the Rest is History podcast, very big influential podcast, and they had a commercial relationship with the studio and Tom Holland was invited to a preview and he gave it the most glowing review. And I was very doubtful of that, and I didn't intend to see the film, and then I saw the Rotten Tomatoes ninety six percent user review, and I was I was thinking, oh, maybe maybe it would be interesting, and then.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we spoke about.
Speaker 3: Seeing it on you know, the possibility that it was really bad, and then and then you know, trashing it, so I you know, I intended to keep my mouth shut if it if it was actually good.
Speaker 1: But yeah, well unfortunately, I think the judge, like us, do you have to take a bit of an l on this. It is projected to cross I think one point two billion dollars, which would make it Nolan's most successful film ever. I think it's interesting as well how much it kind of shows there's still a monoculture. As much as we talk about, you know, with the Internet and siloed communities and the breakdown and traditional media that everyone is off in their own subcultures now, but you see something like this, and even when Barnbadheimer released that was this big kind of monocultural event that everyone was talking about. Or I think it is something like the release of the last season of Stranger Things on Netflix, that you do still have these kinds of cultural moments where all of social media and all of the little subcultures and even our own little dissidence subculture is all focused on this one thing. Like, in a way, there is still kind of a monoculture there and it's actually as woke as ever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the big events, big commercial events, they will hit social media feeds hard. Social media is oriented to discuss these big events for days on end, and then people get pomo. They don't want to be left out. They don't want to be left out of the conversation. And yeah, that's that's the culture industry now, it's universal slop.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course, whatever Norland does next is going to have like unlimited budget. Yeah, I mean, I'm sure they're feminist. Angler wife is going to have free rain.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm sure they're going to give him another five hundred million.
Speaker 2: Yeah they'll they'll lap it up like a sorcer of milk. Yeah.
Speaker 1: But yeah, final writing, we actually a very rare occurrence. We came to the same ratting on this very specific writing. We both said three point five. Yeah, correct, I'm still settled. I think three point.
Speaker 3: Five is the I was leaning towards the four. In the twenty four hours after coming out of the theater. I was really angry and I thought, no, no, three point five.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's one of the things it's like, at the end of its like maybe you know, it's like did I watch a good movie? But the more you think about it's like, well, what you kind of have this empty, unsatisfied feeling at the end of this because like I said, there's no real character acts in it. It's just events following events. Nothing is very compelling, nothing feels very real or a motive because of the dialogue, and it has a final message and a kind of total message in understanding that just leaves you unfulfilled because there's no there's nothing to do on there moral or ethically.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if there were any highlights, you know, you could take sirsus character like the you know, turning the men into pigs, you know, as as Nolan intended. I think the island is quite interesting with the lion tiger and the the deer turning human. Also the scene of the sirens is quite good, and the whirlpool. But you know, there there are brief highlights. But you know, overall, Ilan has defiled the Western tradition. I just just have to make that my conclusion.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, I would tell people not to go watch it, but at this point, I mean, who's even going to listen to us?
Speaker 2: Right? But I'm sure I've already booked their tickets.
Speaker 1: Yeah, going through a second screen in the nomax. But yeah, big woman, one big angler, one big boomer one. Yeah, yeah, so usome Matt Walsh have to just hold the loan and and hope for a better time.
Speaker 2: Elon, if you're out there all right, Well that's it. We'll be back with maybe all reviews. Next movie. Take everyone,