Speaker 1: Channel nine First one one forecast says today we got clouds, we got rain showing up after three pm and high forty eight. Overnight heavy rain expected. They say, don't worry about flooding, but there could be some pooling and standing water around, so if you're out of the roads, please be careful, says Channel nine. Forty three for the overnight low, fifty eight for the high tomorrow is spotty morning showers and additional scattered showers maybe in the afternoon, overnight clouds and thirty two in a cloudy Saturday as well. Forty five for the high Saturday. Right now, twenty eight degrees. Time for traffic update, Chuck Ingram from the UCL Traffic Center. Expect MORI and you see help.
Speaker 2: More clinical trials, more treatment options for personalized care, more chances for you to get bank to being you visit ucehealth dot com. Highway traffic that's doing fine. I'm not seeing any major time delays to deal with problems in Claremont County where fifty two is shut down outside of Moscam due to a wreck near Grant's Pass Drive. There's a wreck on Petdoc at Summit. Chuck Ingram on fifty five KRS seen the Talk Station.
Speaker 1: Text forty nine fifty five kseit Talks Station Extra Special Thursday slash Friday ear here on the fifty five KRC Morning Show. And although I did say after seven oh five we'd have Lynn Arnold with Abby Smith, which who deserves a strong show of support and congratulations, they're both in studio and they showed up early, so I'm like, why don't we just start talking now in studio Lynn Arnold with the Young Marines and Abby Smith, who is an award winner. But real quick, and I'll give you all the information on how to get in touch with the Young Marines, what they're all about. We're going to talk about that in the next several segments. I just want to salute the Help Squad and thank you Cribbage Mike for bringing this one to my attention. I did see it in the background though I wasn't watching it live. Channel five did a news story on the Help Squad. Brian Ibel is out there and he's on a Christian mission to help folks in need. And one of the just an amazing success story. They had a single mom who was spending more than three hours every single day on the bus just to get to work. I mean she had like forty minute commute and a transfer and then it was just awful. Well, the Help Squad, nonprofit started by Brian Ibold, former police officer, gave her a car and she is beside herself with gratitude. But that is the beauty of what the Help Squad does. Individuals that have true needs, they vet them and they make sure that they get what they need. Maybe you need help with a monthly rent check, maybe you need some specific product or service, they get you in touch. So a big props to the Help Squad. You can find them online the Help Squad sincywithy dot com. Brian is on a desperate mission to get folks that donate to the cause. And again this is his mission to help people in need and it really will help them. Every dollar that goes to the Help Squad is going to end up in the hands of some worthy, needy individuals. So God bless you Brian and everybody that's involved in the Help Squad, including Westside Jim Keefer if you're out there, brother, God bless you all. And without further ado in studio, it's always a treat to see her. Lynn Arnold from the Young Marines, along with the wonderful Abby Smith who's been receiving an award. It is a pleasure to have you here.
Speaker 3: Good morning, Thank you for having us.
Speaker 1: And you know you Len. Your name came up when I was talking to the Patriots lighting guy last week. Yes, sir, you're the better half. I told him. I kicked his coverage without question.
Speaker 4: We both did.
Speaker 1: It's been a while since you've been in the studio, So remind my listeners and I'll give you the website. It's NKY Northern Kentucky Nkyyongmarnes dot com. Where good kids become great leaders. That's the mission statement. So remind my listeners about how you got involved with the Young Marines, and I know you have a particularly strong tie to them giving your daughter's connection.
Speaker 5: I got involved actually speaking to a volunteer, a veteran at a blood drive. I met a veteran at a blood drive and we talked and talked and talked, and at the end of the donation, he just said, or I'd said, my eight year old son would have loved to have listened to every one of your story.
Speaker 4: I hope I can remember them.
Speaker 5: And he said, you have an eight year old that loves a military and likes learning about it, and I said I do, and he said, well, look up to young Marines. And so when I got home, I did look up the and my son at the time was eight, my daughter was ten, and then the following spring they both joined the program.
Speaker 4: Her not so willing.
Speaker 1: Literally ask you that is was this their idea?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 5: My son, yes, he was in before when he heard the name. He didn't even need to research it. I you know, I attended they would open houses with him. And my daughter went to and she had no desire, and then there was a parent there that talked her into it. Said, you know, do you enjoy school and she said, I like learning, I don't really enjoy school. And he said are the kids immature and she said yes, and he said come here, you're gonna love these kids here.
Speaker 4: You'll make friends here. And that was it for her.
Speaker 1: Oh that's awesome, because I remember when I was signed up to join the Marlins and over my objections. It's like I didn't want to do it, but I, you know, I woke up and after three plus years and then a better person is a consequence of dealing with it. And going through it. So there's a lot to be said about that. And thanks for good parents like you who will insist that their children pursue these ventures, because I know your daughter ended up doing phenomenally well.
Speaker 2: She did.
Speaker 5: She graduated from her recruit training as the honor grad and you know, to the chagrin of her brother, right who was you know, this was his thing. But then she went on to become Battalian Young Marine of the Year, Division Young Marain of the Year like Abbey Smithy, and then on to National Young Marine of the Year. And then she got her appointment to the Coast Guard Academy. And when she went to the Coast Guard Academy her senior year there she was in a very tough major and graduated with honors. But she was also the regimental commander, which meant the top military get out at the Coast.
Speaker 1: Guard Academy when she's holy cow.
Speaker 5: So it gave her a great basis and I mean great contexts, great people across the nation.
Speaker 4: But then to get to that point, you know how amazing.
Speaker 1: That is absolutely amazing. So a little sibling rivalry on that little head.
Speaker 4: But my son went to the Marine Corps. He did five in the Marine Corps.
Speaker 5: Now he's in college in Texas, and she's actually a civilian working for the Navy.
Speaker 1: Well, salute to them, and thank you both for your service to our country and then of course forgetting your young people involved. I'm sure it was a real rewarding experience for you.
Speaker 4: Absolutely.
Speaker 5: I have learned so much from the Young Marines program and met so many great people.
Speaker 4: And now I.
Speaker 5: Think two weeks, Abby, I think my anniversary's coming up, my sixteen year anniversary with the Young Marines as a volunteer, and I wouldn't have it any other way.
Speaker 1: I know, I know, I know how you every time we've talked about this, your enthusiasm comes through loud and clear. And speaking of that, we're gonna hear from Abbie Smith after the top of the UR News. Learn how she got involved with the Young Marines and the status that she has been awarded. Quite an honor for Abby. Beautiful young lady she is, and she's proudly serving in the Northern Kentucky Young Marines NKY Young Marines Dot check it out. I'll be right back after the top of the Our News. News Happens fast. Stay up to date at the top of the hour. We're moving very quickly. Fifty five KRC the talk station. Wait for it. Seven oh six at fifty five KRC de Talk station. A very happy Friday e to you. Comment up bottom of the art Donovan, New Americans for Prosperity, support for Centate Bill three and yes a flat tax will have Al Nippert. He was the guy that we talked about all the railroad issues during the railroad fight. He's got comments about the Hyde Park development. The NIMBI folks coming out of the woodwork because of the connected Communities thing that the City of Cincinnati Council pass to put larger, higher density housing in yes neighborhood like Hyde Park Square. John Gordon, political analyst, the host of the syndicated show We're going to talk about Trump's first week, John Gordon, It's the Truth with John Gordon podcast. John'll be on the PROGRAMMA eighto of five. And then I heard me the aviation expert timing couldn't be better in light of the tragedy in Washington, d C. Jay Ratliff, our aviation expert, joins the programm at eight thirty. In the meantime, it is a distinct pleasure to have in the studio from the Northern Kentucky Young Marines, Lynn Arnold, and congratulations award winning Abby Smith, who's one of the Northern Kentucky Young Marines. Abby, Now it's your turn to talk.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: It's a pleasure having you here.
Speaker 3: Great to be here, sir.
Speaker 1: So, how long have you You're sixteen years old, I understand how long have you been with the Northern Kentucky Marines.
Speaker 6: I've been in since twenty nineteen, since I was eleven years old.
Speaker 1: Eleven and you told me you have a regret that you didn't start earlier.
Speaker 6: Yes, sir, I wish I joined earlier so I could get the full ten year experience in this program.
Speaker 1: That's just amazing to me. Now, how young can you be to join the Northern Kentucky Young Marines.
Speaker 3: You have to be eight years old at the start of our core training.
Speaker 1: Eight years old, so you're gonna missed a couple of years. Now, what drew you to want to become a Young Marine?
Speaker 6: Well, I've always had a passion for the military, ever since I was a child, before I can remember, I've wanted to join the military, even before I knew it was separated into different branches, and my school teacher, Miss Claire, and a USO officer actually mss MS. They introduced me to this program because they knew of my passion, and immediately I wanted to join because this seemed like the greatest opportunity and greatest challenge that I could face.
Speaker 1: Now, what inspired you to want to? I mean, Eddie, that young of an age to want to become a member of American Armed Forces? Did you like like I grew up? Here's my story, and I always say out loud one of the reasons I supported veterans and veterans causes and the military generally speaking, is because I didn't sign up. I did not enlist. But I was inspired by old World War two movies with John Wayne, you know. I mean like sands of Ewu Jima, for example. And Lynn Arnold's daughter brought me back some sand from Ewo Gma, which I still have on my dress or I see it every day and I think of her every day. Lynn, by the way, but that that was inspiring to me. Now, you're a lot younger than me, So what inspired you? You know?
Speaker 6: I get asked that question a lot of that, and part of the reason was three of my grandparents were in the military, and I just grew up with them, seeing them and the respec they have for our nation and what they did to make our nation what it is, and then hearing from my parents of how proud they are of our country, I just knew I wanted to do that. I wanted to help our country be the free place that it is today.
Speaker 1: That is so awesome to hear. And when you were saying that, and you know, I grew up in a similar environment. My parents very patriotic, and I think that's where my patriotism comes from. I understand the gift that we were born with since we were here in the United States of freedom, the idea and the concept of freedom. I just it is everything that is me and my being. But I was brought up in that environment as well. And when you were saying that, I was thinking of all the people who are or brought up in sort of a hate eight full anti American. American is bad and evil for all these you know in the list of reasons, what a contrast that must be, and how that person is not going to be raised in an environment where they have any respect for their country.
Speaker 6: It's a shame it's a shame, and I know many classmates who are brought up in that environment. I feel sad, honestly, because I am proud of my country, and we should all be proud of our country because we are at the forefront of freedom in the world and uphold the values that are important to us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people can look at us from Afar and say, gosh, they're allowed to speak their mind. Gosh, they are allowed to pursue whatever interest they want to pursue. Gosh, just you know, no wealth redistribution, well some anyway. But I get the website again, it's NKY Young Marines dot Com. You got a young person in your family, you got to get them hooked up with this organization. Now, tell me about a day in the life of a Northern Kentucky Young Marine. What does it involve. I know it's a whole bunch of different things that you learn and the exercises you go through. But tell me about it. What's why.
Speaker 6: Well, when you first join the program, you're not allowed to just join. You have to be taught how to wear the uniform properly, taught how to be an ambassador of the Young Marines program. So all the kids who join our program have to go through recruit training, which is six to seven Saturdays and one overnight where they learn how to be a young marine.
Speaker 3: After that, we have drills and events.
Speaker 6: We have drills every other Saturday, which are around seven hours, so it's basically another school day where we teach them classes on life skills, public speaking, first aid, field skills, closer to drill, the marching you see in some of those movies, PT Physical fitness, and living a healthy drug free lifestyle.
Speaker 5: WHOA in Military American history, in military American history, and chivalry, and all of this is taught by our young Marines.
Speaker 6: We do have guest speakers that come in, but all of our young Marines are told to teach classes on topics that they want to teach about within our unit.
Speaker 1: Oh that's cool, well, and that's I guess where your public speaking sitills come from. Because you're teaching the other young marines. You got to stand up in front of the room and talk. That's awesome, Yes, sir, now you on that topic alone. And you know, I get invited to speak at events from time to time and I don't have any problem doing it, and I don't struggle, and I used to struggle with nervousness or you know why, and I always keep it in the back of my mind. No one wants to be up in the front of the room usually, you know, like I don't want to do that and Ie, so you're like, you know what, since it doesn't bother me, I'll fall on the sword. I'll take the challenge. But you seem really enthused about speaking, and does it bother you at all to do public speaking?
Speaker 6: It did when I first joined this program. I hated speaking in public, even to my friends. Sometimes I don't want to talk to you. But after experiencing so much of this program and learning how to talk publicly and learning how to be confident when we're speaking, it's so much easier now, And especially when I'm talking about being Marines. It's easy to be passionate about it because it's changed my life.
Speaker 1: And you know, I know this is radio, but if you could see the inspired look on Abby's face, I mean this, this message comes across just absolutely loud and clear. She is just really, really, really a devotet and a believer in what she's doing with the young Marines. Is it Are there any of the like for example, the PT is even difficult, means it hard to consider it work, like, oh jeez, it's a push up day or something like that.
Speaker 6: We do not have specific days push ups.
Speaker 3: But yes, it is.
Speaker 6: A challenge, especially when you're younger and you're working through the ranks and getting your sign offs. It is like another school day where you have to put in the effort. And there are some days where I'm like, wow, this is a struggle, but it's always an opportunity to improve. And I just look back and I see all those days where I struggled have made me the person I am. And I hope the young marines in our units see that that these struggles are making them better as people.
Speaker 1: Well. And I suppose, like you had Lynn with your children and the sibling right that you're inspired by your fellow young marine. So maybe you're not feeling quite up to the challenge that given day, but if you look around you, then you do step up and uh and and meet the demands of whatever it is you're going through that day.
Speaker 6: Yes, sir, we do consider ourselves a family. I see these kids almost every day, sometimes in the summer at the events we go to, and you learn so much about them and without this program, I wouldn't have met my young Marine's family.
Speaker 3: So I'll be forever grateful for that.
Speaker 1: Like sort of like a fraternity or sorority, you know, band of comrades are was it easy to make friends with them? A little hesitation there.
Speaker 4: She didn't speak at first.
Speaker 1: I saw her and she was contemplating that question.
Speaker 6: When I first joined, sir, I was really shy and introverted. I know that's a word that's thrown around a lot, but really it was hard for me to make friends these people who I saw as idols. They were higher up in the program and me just joining. I'm like, wow, how could I ever be like them? But I had my recruit training, I had my friends who were all working towards the same goal, and they pushed me to do better. And yes, I did become friends with all of them.
Speaker 1: What an inspiration you are. We're going to bring her back, Abbie Smith along with Lynn Arnold in the studio talking about the Northern Kentucky Young Marines. You know what, I think your phone's going to be bringing off up later today to hear her, and I'm some mom and dad is out there going jeez, I got an hate year old listen to her. You know, ah, we got to get there in this program. We'll bring it right back. Pause for a moment. So I mentioned doctor Fred Pack and doctor Meghan Frew, the dynamic duo of dentistry. Let me start with doctor Fruit. She is just an absolutely amazing lady. And know I want to discount doctor fred Pack because he is just a literal genius. But for a lot of people out there, I don't understand not liking to go to the dentist because I love going to the dentist because every time I come out of the dentist's office, you know, I feel refreshed, my teeth are clean, I feel confident. I was a good bill of health, and I'm proud of that. But if you're one of those folks that doesn't like going to the dentist, you need to get in the chair of doctor Meghan Frue. She is an absolute breath of fresh air, friendly, charming, easy on the eyes. I can tell you that out loud knowing my wife is listening, but fundamentally of wonderful, fantastic dentists, it's going to cause you to feel really at ease. And if you need to be more at ease than that they do sedation dentistry. You're there at the practice. The most state of the art practice you're ever going to come across is doctor Pack and Frew and over to doctor Fred Pack, a fellow with the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry. There's only three of them in the entire state of Ohio. I think, only like fifty in the entire world. That's because he has met that level of standard that the Fellowship requires, because he is a genius when it comes to cosmetic dentistry, life changing, exceptional, transformative cosmetic dentistry. That's doctor Fred Pack and Megan Freu is working under accreditation right now, so you're in great hands with that practice. I've been going there for probably more than a decade. I know more than a decade. The old place is filled with folks of a treaty like family, so it is a truly comfortable environment for all things dentistry, most notably cosmetic dentistry. Five one three, sixty one, seventy six, sixty six five one three sixty one, seventy six sixty six. Learn more online peck pec kpeck smiles dot com.
Speaker 3: This is fifty five krc an iHeartRadio station.
Speaker 1: When the wildfires truckle up time to the nine first one four ks today, clouds, rain, rain shown up after three km. We're going up to forty eight today for the high end to forty three overnight with heavy rain, no flooding, but heavy rain. Friday, spotty morning showers with showers showing up in the afternoon. High fifty eight down to thirty two overnight with clouds and at Foudy Saturday as well. High a forty five right now twenty eight degrees from the time for traffic updates.
Speaker 2: From the UC Help Triumphic Center. Inspect more you see help, more clinicland trials, more treatment options for personal vice care, more chances to get you back to being you visit uc help dot com. Cruise continue to work with the rat con paddock at Summit and the wreck on fifty two in Claremont County has fifty two blocked up near Grant's Pants Drive outside of Moscow, South Bend seventy five. That's getting heavy here through block shot ingram on fifty five kr S the talk station.
Speaker 1: Coosh I have seven to twenty here fifty by KERCIT Talkstation dot Onny on the next segment. The meantime, Lynn Arnold and Abby Smith and I were to get it at her award winning record here, Abby Smith one of the Northern Kentucky Young Marines online at NKY Young Marines dot com. This is just an amazing organization and thanks thanks to Lynn Arnold. I have met quite a few of the Young Marines over the years. What an amazing and outstanding group of young people. They truly are as demonstrated and you can hear for yourself by Abby Smith. Obviously a great public speaker, confident young lady, and that confidence bolstered by her participation in the Northern Kentucky Young Marines. So yeah, you want to get your kids involved with that, and congratulations Abby. I should have maybe mentioned at the outset you are the Division three Young Marine of the Year. Yes, sir see I took notes. I appreciate it, no problem. No, what was involved in the competition? You have to like beat people up and like do marksmanship or not that time? So okay, So seriously, though, I just I am wildly curious how does one become the Division THI Young Marine of the Year.
Speaker 6: Well, there's a lot of work put into a way before the actual promotion boards, which is like a job interview. Before then, I had to attend three leadership schools, which are stopping points in our young Marines career where we have to learn about the different leadership styles and how to lead our young Marines as we're progressing through the program. And that started when I was twelve years old when I went to Maryland, thirteen for the next one in Georgia, and fifteen in California, where I was second at the last, one.
Speaker 4: Second out of forty eight marines across the country.
Speaker 1: Oh my word. Wait, this is like I'm just getting the picture. This is really like genuine military training you're going through here.
Speaker 3: It is modeled after it, sir.
Speaker 1: Future leaders of America. I'm sitting in front of one right now. She's going to be a congress person or a senator someday. Oh my word. All right, and it's not over there. You continue to compete against other young Marines, and I guess all of the division young Marines of the year then go off to like Jeopardy and you can end up competing with.
Speaker 3: Them, not really like Jeopardy, but kind of.
Speaker 1: You don't have to do my words, gospel. I don't know. This is why you're here. You're enlightening my listeners in the abbey.
Speaker 6: So once we earn the six young Marines across the country, they earn the division Young Marine of the Year title. We were becoming the top six young Marines in the country and April I will be competing against those other young Marines for the title of National young Man of the Year at a promotion, which is similar to a job interview. It'll be in front of the division commanders, which are like the top people in our program, our national executive Director, many guests who are some of them sergeants major of the Marine Corps, which is very stressful promotion forward.
Speaker 1: Yes, sir, do they try to recruit you while you are there? I mean, I'm serious, because you know you're a young marine. You have not you know, enlisted in the regular Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, or now Space Force. And I'm going to ask you what you were planning to on doing as you move forward. But hell, I mean, if I was a recruiting office, I'd be all over you like white on rice, like you got to come over to me when as soon as you turn eighteen, Because I need you in the division. Here's what I'm gonna do for you. Kind of kind of a pitch.
Speaker 6: Well, I've joined because I wanted to go into the military, But young marines across the country they don't. They are not forced into the military. While we do teach a lot of military customs and traditions and we are modeled at the Marine Corps, a lot of our young marines end up becoming teachers or different trades across the country.
Speaker 3: Lawyers like yourself, how about that?
Speaker 1: What do you want to do?
Speaker 3: I want to go to the Naval Academy, sir.
Speaker 1: That will be outstanding.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: I got a friend out of the listening audience. I call him a cribbage mic ause we play a game of cribbage at my listener lunches every first Wednesday of the month. He was in a submarine for his military career. Wow, and the whole and he's like six ' four. I don't know how they got him into the Submary. To start with the cribbage, Mike. If you're out there, future Navy and LISTI here sitting in front of me, and what a blessing it'll be for the Navy to pick you up. Thank you, Sam, you got a great future in front of I hope you appreciate that. There are very few young people that anybody in my listening audience and me included, have ever met that have your level of confidence, your ability to speak, your obvious passion for what you're doing. It's going to serve you so well.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Oh my pleasure you listen. I'm inspired by meeting you, litt Arnold. You got to get inspired by these young marines every day. You're involved with them too.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, And like she said, she wished she had joined earlier. It's funny we have young Marines that leave the program, and sometimes you know, it's not their decisions. Sometimes it is you know, families move or sure whatever, but they leave the program. And I've never once heard a young marines said I wish I'd quit earlier. But you know, I'll have them say I wish I had stayed in or I wish I'd joined earlier. But you know, whether they make it to her, you know, the accolades that Abby has earned for herself or not. They will benefit from this program, even if it helps them with school reports or job interviews.
Speaker 4: They will benefit.
Speaker 1: There is a question in my mind. Abby, I wish you all the best on your future, and I'm very confident it will be a successful future. You've been a real inspiration for me this morning, and I know an inspiration for my listeners who've stuck around to hear what you had to say.
Speaker 6: Thank you so much, sir, I really appreciated having the opportunity to talk about my program to you and your listeners.
Speaker 1: Spread the love. Can I hope getting some more recruits MKY Young Marines dot com. Get over, find all about it and get your young person signed up for all the benefits that they certainly will gain from being in the program. It's seven twenty five right now. If you've about Krsity talks, Station Donovan Neo Americans for Prosperity up next saying yes, we will talk about flag tax and what is Senate Bill three. We'll talk about their support for that as well. First, though, Peter Shabrier Kellowiam seven Hills, you need a great real estate agent, buyer's agent, seller's agent. One stop shopping is the Sabri Group of Colorwiams seven Hills. Now, I personally know Peter very very well and I can accurately describe him as a brilliant man who has assembled the best real estate team in the entire Greater Cincinnati area. And they have programs galore, and one of the ones I want to mention here like the get out of Dodge programs that I kind of call it. It's well not having to show your home. You want to avoid that hassle. You don't have to clean the house, you don't have to get the dog out of the house, you have to stage it. You don't have to paint the pink wall to some neutral color that most of the people are going to find appealing. The Sabary Group, within forty eight hours of them seeing your home, you will have a cash off, which means you can close as quickly as fourteen days after they see your home. And yes, it can happen that fast. People take advantage of this program all the time. So if you have property you want to unload in a hurry, the Chabri Group is the number to call. It's five one three seven zero eight three thousand. Five one three seven zero eight three thousand. To learn more about this fantastic team and the other property or on the other programs they have, go to the website seven zero eight three thousand dot com can't remember that, Just use your search engine and google. Chabri C H A B R I S. Chabri Group fifty five car the talk Station. A Minute of Hope