Speaker 1: Hey, Ryan, I got some great news for you.
Speaker 2: What's up? What's going on?
Speaker 1: So I'm introducing a permanent third host. Oh whoa, Actually it could be between you and I could be a permanent second host, if you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Oh, ok, So.
Speaker 1: All right, without further ado, Hello, welcome to Cuff's Basement. You are now going to be the third co host live on the podcast. You're with Tim and Ryan right now. Welcome to the show. Oh wow, thrilled to join the crew. Thanks for having me on cuff Spacement. I'll do my best to keep up with the banter. What are we diving into today? Are you familiar with the Are you familiar with the podcast Costs Basement and the host Tim and Ryan? And you know, we've had a lot of episodes.
Speaker 2: I actually haven't come across Cuffspacement before, but it sounds like you two have quite the upper ration going.
Speaker 1: I'm curious what kind of topics.
Speaker 2: Do you usually tackle?
Speaker 1: Well, today we're talking about the Christopher Nolan Batman trilogy, specifically the first movie Batman begins diving into Batman against nice choice. That movie really laid the groundwork for the whole trilogy.
Speaker 2: So what angle are you both taking.
Speaker 1: On it character development, themes or something else entirely. Hey, Ryan, do you mind just signing off?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 1: Absolutely, Ryan, Thanks for having us catch you next time.
Speaker 2: So's fixing the atendo making always like.
Speaker 1: A fast root bess culture chaos and you say, like a lost pristy lass, like a walk your glass. Oh, welcome back to cost Baseman. I would hope that our third co hosts would do a little bit of research, but she didn't. Also, she kept fact checking me, which I really didn't appreciate. You know, I don't like, Oh.
Speaker 2: That's true, you don't like that.
Speaker 1: One thing I really like about AI is I know AI can be wrong and people are still delusional, but like it ends a lot of arguments, Like somebody on YouTube, and I know that I should never get in an argument with people in the comments. Somebody I saw somebody commented on like a police bodycam video that it's It's like they commented police bodycams finally showed that false accusations against cops by black people are worse than police brutality towards black people, And I was just like, wait, what so I just I commented too on this person's comment. I just wrote you should really like try to run some stats or facts through a learning language model. I think you'd be pretty disappointed. And then I literally did it, and it was like, yeah, no, that's blatantly not true based on like tons of statistics. Here you go. So but I mean, I'm sure, well A I is wrong, and like they don't do studies about this and people don't report blah blah blah blah blah. But it really like it helps you back up your argument in real time pretty pretty easily, especially when somebody like RFK is throwing out these random vaccine studies that you've never heard of that you don't know if they're real or not. You know, like, how do you fact check that in real time? So it's nice, all right.
Speaker 2: He's been in my head a lot recently.
Speaker 3: In my car, yelling like random things and just thinking of his voice saying stuff. It's uh, it's it's very mean because of course, what does what does he have? What is the thing he has?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I know that there's like a medical explanation for it, but I don't know.
Speaker 3: I've just been in my car just thinking of like the most random ship he could like rattle off to be like completely insane, Like, did you know if like you leave percarsto soup out in the sun, it can probably cure any illness at least three days, at least cap off.
Speaker 1: That reminds me of the Tim Heideker thing when Tim Hideker spoofed Joe Rogan's podcast and he said, have you guys, you guys heard of crab salts and his two guests are like, no, oh, you haven't heard of crab salts. Crab salts what they do is they can actually cure all disease, and his guests are like, oh wow. And then he started selling crab salt t shirts and he had like the big fud Ruckers logo in the background that was we're getting We're getting off the rails here.
Speaker 2: It's okay, we're here.
Speaker 1: What no go ahead?
Speaker 2: I was. It was just a voice stuck in my head. But don't worry.
Speaker 3: It's been replaced by many others from this specific movie this week, so it's been great.
Speaker 1: Oh you did an amazing falcony. We'll get to him. You sent me a voice note and I was like that falcony because what's the actor's name?
Speaker 2: The British actor there's Tom Wilkinson.
Speaker 1: Tom Wilkinson. Yeah, yeah, we all know Tom Wilkinson. He does he's doing like a New York like mafioso voice, but it's it's it's not really bad, but it's like on the it's bouncing on the edge of really bad.
Speaker 3: You can tell he really has to do it based on his face. He really has to like make the face to make it work. Yeah, I think he's not bad. He's fine, he's fine.
Speaker 1: But give us, give us a little like when did the nuts start running the nuthouse? That's what you sent me? Can you hit him?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, when did the when one of the knot start running the knockhouse? Yeah, it's like, oh, doctor, I'm having visions. But no, we'll get to this character.
Speaker 3: But Gary Oldman is in this movie is one of my favorite voices in my head of all time.
Speaker 2: Especially the end of this movie.
Speaker 3: It's some of that word sandwich is tough for him with the American accent, and it's I love it.
Speaker 2: I think of it all the time.
Speaker 1: I think he has a great American accent in this.
Speaker 2: He does a very good job. But at the end it's we'll get to it. We'll get to it. It's okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, So this movie is called the Beginning of Batman. It came out in what year? Ryan?
Speaker 2: It came out in two thousand and five.
Speaker 1: Wow, okay, and it's it is directed by who Ryan?
Speaker 2: Directed by Christopher Nolan.
Speaker 1: Never heard of him?
Speaker 2: Really?
Speaker 1: The score is this is?
Speaker 2: This is kind of all he did. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So at this point he had done Memento, which everybody, like every high schooler is like, oh I saw Memento, Like I understand independent cinema. It's amazing. If you know anything about movies, you used to see Memento. Memento is very good. I'm not making fun of it. But he also did what was the was it following was before Memento?
Speaker 2: Following was before yeap?
Speaker 1: And then did he do Insomnia?
Speaker 3: Insomnia is after Memento, and it's before this is that's the one before this. It's the last sane Pacino movie. I'll describe it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Insomnia is good.
Speaker 2: It's a it's a it's very underrated.
Speaker 1: Underrated Nolan movie, totally forgotten. But it's starring Robin Williams and Al Pacino.
Speaker 2: And he's great at it too. Williams is so good that this.
Speaker 1: Is during like the side the photo guy phase of Robin Williams career where he was just like people were like, oh shit, more caan mindy. This dude is like an Oscar winning amazing actor. What the hell? And I mean he really did it no business being this good. But one Hour Photo is great and Insomnia it takes place in Alaska where it's like when it's bright all the time, the sun never sets.
Speaker 3: Ye right, yep, yeah, yeah, it's a good remake. I'm a kind of famous. I think it's is it Swedish or Norwegian? With still in Scarsguard.
Speaker 1: Oh, I didn't know that. I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's actually a recent remake.
Speaker 3: I didn't's like a I think it's ninety seven is the original and then in two thousand and two is Insomnia. But people should check that out. I haven't seen that in a while myself, but I remember that being really good.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I honestly like film nerds probably hate me for saying this. I like when American studios do that sometimes, when they take like a really good foreign language film and just make an American version of it because you already know the movie is gonna is really good. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. Like Old Boy, the Spike Lee remake didn't really work out.
Speaker 2: Vanishing. The Vanishing was brutal, the remake.
Speaker 1: The Vanishing. I don't know, I don't know what you're talking about.
Speaker 2: You've never heard of the Vanishing?
Speaker 3: No, no, so very I think you'd love it. Honestly, it's a very kind of famous thing. It's like late eighties serial killer movie. A guy's girlfriend disappears and he believes this person did it, so he meets he goes find this guy, and the whole movie's about their dynamic of how like, Okay, if you think I did this, then follow me. Actually it's kind of a Batman episode in a weird way, like the White Structure. It's like, okay, if you think I did this, then do all this stuff and to prove me wrong. And they remade it with Jeff Bridges as the guy, and Jeff Bridges does like the accent from the movie, and it's just not good.
Speaker 2: It's not great.
Speaker 1: But when when that amazing movie another round? Is that what it's called?
Speaker 2: Yes, that's is that.
Speaker 1: Norwegian?
Speaker 2: What is it? I think it's Danish?
Speaker 1: Danish? Danish, But it's the greatest plot of the greatest movie Pitch of all time. It's like, basically, they discover these guys. I discovered their best functionality is slightly buzzed. If they can stay like slightly buzzed, not too drunk, not sober, just slightly buzzed, they always perform better in every situation, Like they're friendlier, they're happier, they're better socially. And that movie was amazing And I heard that like Leonardo DiCaprio bought the rights to remake it, and I thought I would totally see a remake, an American remake of this.
Speaker 3: If he did that, that would be so so interesting and so cool. Yeah, yeah, that would be so cool. I think it has definitely mixed results. I feel like, also like let the Right One In is a tough one. The original is so good, yeah, and the remake is not bad. The remake is truly not bad. I don't think it's a terrible movie. Counted a Batman. It's the same director of The Batman from twenty twenty two, but it's to me it is truly can be a roll the dice with some of them can be really awful.
Speaker 1: Yes, they can be very, very very bad. But I feel like Andy Juno would hate this take, but I kind of like seeing our attempt.
Speaker 3: I feel like when they do it different enough is when it's the most strong, like just take the core concept and go with it, or like take the you know, American eyes it. I guess the best way to put it is that like making a quote unquote like American version of the story can be really interesting. It's weird when they try, like the vanishing thing, like we're just gonna try and make the same movie again. Sometimes they'll actually even hire the same director, especially a lot of the lot of Jharror, The Grudge, the Ring. They may even hire the I don't think The Rings that case, but it can be that way. But yeah, Chris, this is pretty pretty early in the game for him.
Speaker 1: He'd only done following Memento and Insomnia, so it's a big, big risk in my opinion to hire him to like, this is going to be the most important Warner Brothers trilogy of the decade.
Speaker 2: How exciting was that though? Oh my god, when you heard that, Oh yeah, that was that.
Speaker 1: Oh it was so thrilling to hear that because you knew that, you know, following I don't really remember. Memento is amazing. Insomnia was very good, but like it's not going to be on your list of best movies of all time, but you still were excited, like, Okay, this could be really interesting to see what this guy does. And it's it's fucking Batman.
Speaker 2: It's fucking Batman.
Speaker 3: And also like, and we said we talked to this in the pod before, but other like when we done the franchises or done other movies, Like it is just to me the most like thrilling thing is a movie nerd when they're like, oh, they're getting this person to do this, Like, oh, they're going to bring in this guy to try that out, and.
Speaker 2: That's always such a fun thing.
Speaker 3: So like what what what take are they going to put this on? Like like what.
Speaker 2: Are they going to adapt?
Speaker 3: Because like you were saying in the intro pod, which I think is really you would alluded to it in the intro but like one of the best things about the Batman universe I think.
Speaker 2: Is truly one of the very few where.
Speaker 3: It's so interpretable in such different ways but can still be itself. And that's really hard to do well because other people can interpret other properties and kind of fuck it up or like hey, you changed too much, or this is smashed beyond repair, or like you couldn't meet the material.
Speaker 2: I feel like if you look.
Speaker 3: At Batman movies, like you said earlier, like TV shows and whatnot, there's just so many ways you can do this that.
Speaker 2: Can be successful.
Speaker 3: And like, even now that we've had kind of like a somewhat embarrassment, which is with this, you can still think of like, oh, you know, they haven't done this kind of you know, take on this yet, And that's to me only speaks to the strength of this stuff in this world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we got we got to remember where Batman was. So we had Batman nineteen eighty nine, which like read to find Batman in pop culture and like really just set the table for Batman being like a cool adult comic book character. Then we had Batman Returns, which was phenomenal, but people thought it was too weird. I love it. I think it's like if somebody told me, if you say The Dark Knight is not the greatest Batman movie of all time, I think you're legitimately crazy. But other than The Dark Knight, if you told me the best Batman movie of all time, as Batman returns, I'd be like, okay, Like I don't really have a problem with that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then Batman Forever. I thought Val Kelmer was an underrated Batman, but it was directed by Joel Schumacher. It gets a little goofy because Schumacher is a little goofy, and Jim Carrey a lot of people. He was a very iconic Riddler, but people kind of hated it. And Tommy Lee Jones is just awful as two Face. I don't really blame him.
Speaker 2: But he was just awful.
Speaker 1: And then Batman and Robin in nineteen ninety seven, which was a complete fucking train rid shit show with George Clooney as Batman, directed by Joel Schumacher. Again, so Batman and Robin was very hated. Batman and Robb, Yeah, Batman and Robin was very hated, and people are like, Okay, Batman movies are dead. That was in nineteen ninety seven, and this is eight years later.
Speaker 2: Batman begins, Oh, that timeline is so scary to me.
Speaker 1: There was a lot riding on this. Yeah, and yeah, I think we should just dive into it.
Speaker 3: Sure, can we point out another creative person involved?
Speaker 2: I probably isn't talked about a lot with these movies. David S.
Speaker 3: Goyer is the co writer with Christopher Nolan. So Goyer did the Blade movies. He's been attached to a lot of other comic stuff. I think he's done a lot of other uncredited comic stuff.
Speaker 2: I love.
Speaker 3: There's a great if people ever interested, uh as people will probably know this gammering horseshit that I usually talk about. There's a great making of documentary.
Speaker 2: About this movie, specifically when it came out, and.
Speaker 3: Nolan, to his credit, was like I love the idea of Batman as a character, but I don't have the encyclopedic knowledge.
Speaker 2: I need to find someone who does. So he David S.
Speaker 3: Goyer at this point in time, you know, because of Blade and stuff like that, was pretty prolific comic writer and everything in terms of like comic movie writer and Goyer just on this document he talks about how like this was like the dream come true of life. Was just like you get a call from this kind of person being like do you want to help me write a batmant movie?
Speaker 2: It's like what the fuck do I need to do? Like where do I go?
Speaker 3: But just his impact on this kind of stuff is pretty I think underrated unfortunately. I mean, we don't know how much stuff he's been credited for, but he directed one of the worst ones, which is Blade Trinity. But it's just kind of like, I think he doesn't get enough props for being here at the ground floor with this movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I forgot to mention him, and that's a very good point, so thank you for doing that. This movie begins with Bats in the air, get it because it's Batman. You see a bunch of bats?
Speaker 3: Should we again, should we just start like making up because we didn't ask I didn't ask Aracter the music, so we just do like the sound effects of just like the I call it like the wolf a what the opening card is just the humming sound like they do with Dune.
Speaker 1: Bump bum but at him, bump bum but at him, bump bum.
Speaker 3: Chris, I'm thinking all harmonica. But yes, we uh start with the bats opening.
Speaker 1: And there's a little boy, Bruce Wayne, who's playing with a little girl named Rachel and he falls down an old well on the property and he's injured in well. It's got to be really scarier a little boy and there's like a hole in the wall of the well and he hears sort of a noise coming from the hole in the wall and what what flies out of the hole?
Speaker 2: Ryan a giant parakeet.
Speaker 1: Bats.
Speaker 2: No, it's bats, it's a yes.
Speaker 1: Cut to adult Bruce Wayne is played by This is minorly controversial at the time. A British actor, Christian Bale, wakes up in an Asian prison. I think he's in China. I do. I don't really know, but he was like Nepal. I could be wrong, Nepal. Maybe you're right, maybe you're maybe. Yeah, it seems like mountainous region. But he spoke in an American accent the entire filming, right, isn't that true?
Speaker 2: Really? And like outside not shooting too really.
Speaker 1: Well, so like on set, I.
Speaker 2: Mean yeah, like like when they're like okay, yeah.
Speaker 1: Because I heard I can't remember who it was, but somebody told a story where the whole time, like they knew Christian Bale was British, but the whole time they filmed the movie, he was speaking in an American accent, like in between takes and on set in his trailer, like having lunch talking to people. And then the final day they wrapped the movie and they went to like a bar, or they went to a restaurant or something to celebrate, and the guy walked up and was like, oh, so what are you doing next? And he's like, well, I'll go home rot to me family. And he was like what what?
Speaker 2: What is going on to new character characters working out right?
Speaker 1: So because he knew, he was like, this is such an iconic American character. I would say, like older people like Jerry Seinfeld's Asian older think the most important American compole character is Superman. I and a lot of people think that like the greatest. A lot of old boomers who are fucking clueless think that like Superman with the Christopher Reeves is the greatest comp but most imp orton Gombook movie ever, Batman is the most important compook character of all time.
Speaker 3: It's an interesting thing to say that though, because that movie is Nolan has said Newmerous Times is in terms of how that movie was made, very influential on this movie. I also think that back when that movie came out, there wasn't a lot of these so that was kind of like surprising how well that movie came out for what it is.
Speaker 2: I haven't seen that movie forever actually myself.
Speaker 3: But it's interesting how a lot of the thematic material of this movie, how he made it, how he did it, he said, is I just followed what they did with Superman the movie in nineteen seventy eight, overcasting roles stuff like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, that's good. That's good to know. I did not know that. I mean, I know that it's that movie is always revered because it was like, yeah, it was the first really big deal, blockbuster superhero movie that everybody loves, and like the studio tried to make good, tried to make it good. I remember, I haven't seen it in a long time. I remember not really caring for it. But sorry, what were you saying?
Speaker 3: The technical leap of it was a big thing too, with with the flying I feel to me personally, it's very much a Goonies to me. I missed Goonies as a kid, so I like, people love it and I'm like, sure, go for it. I have no issue. But like, I just never was like I need this. I don't know how to describe it, but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, no, we all have that. I'm the same thing with Goonies, Ryan, I missed it as a kid. Never cared and people absolutely love it now, and I'm like, okay, it was the same with Wayne's World. I was a couple of years too young to see that when it came out. I think it was really funny. So but Bruce adult Bruce works wakes up in a Mongolian Nepalese prison of some sort and he stands out because he's a white dude. A gigantic inmate goes up to fight him, and I'm like, uh, this is gonna be a problem for this guy. So basically, you know twelve god well, actually they make a point of this. Six not twelve. Six men jump Bruce Wayne and he easily destroys all of them. I think that this fight scene again, like we're gonna call this Pobody's nerve fick corner. And I used to get in fights with Paul all the time. Like The Dark Knight is my second favorite movie of all time. There are things I don't like about The Dark Knight. If I'm nitpicking, and I'm not trying to nitpick and get into the minute and insult anybody, it's just Pobody's nerfiict. I don't really like the way that Christopher Nolan shoots like hand to hand combat scenes and this fight in the prison where he takes down six guys. You don't really see what's happening.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I always thought like.
Speaker 3: I'd never like I shouldn't sy I never it never took me out of the movies. I always thought like this truly was not his interest. You can tell from the way they did it, Yes, like it was just not and not like in a dismissive or like fighting doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: Obviously, fighting is a big part of him, he's a superhero.
Speaker 3: But I always felt like as a movie maker, he just does not give a shit about hand to hand combat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Devil's advocate cap on, it's not important. We're not trying to make it like a Star Wars Ninja episode one scene here. And also, real life hand to hand combat is kind of like this. It's very fast and blurring, you don't see a lot, and you're not really sure what the fuck happened. That's what a fight is like in real life.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So he the guards grabbed Bruce and say you're going to solitary, and he says, why why would you put me in solitary? They jump me and they say for protection. He says clearly, I don't need protection, and they say no protection for the other inmates, which obviously makes me think of the coolest line in all of Watchmen when rorshack As jumped and horribly burns an inmate, and then Tell announces to the prison I don't think you understand I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with me.
Speaker 3: It's also a great laugh line that's got a huge laugh in theaters.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh good. Yeah, there's a couple like I mean, it's not the funniest person in the world writing in this dialogue, but there's some funny moments in this movie, some like one liners that are funny.
Speaker 3: These movies have the most humor of anything that Christopherlan's ever made, these three movies.
Speaker 1: Yeah interesting, Yeah, I believe you. I just haven't really thought of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And uh. Liam Neeson shows up in his cell and says, do you hate criminals so much? You voluntary voluntarily came in here. He introduces himself as du Card. That's Liam Neeson's name, du Card, and he speaks for how do they pronounce him in this movie?
Speaker 2: They do? They do ros.
Speaker 1: Ros because there's basically like three ways I've heard it pronounce Ra's al ghoul, Rai's al ghoul, and rache algool and Paul like this bothered Paul to no end, Like Paul legitimately lost sleep over this because they're they're supposed to say race algol.
Speaker 3: Yes, the animated series makes an actual point like race algol corrects someone being like, that's not how you pronounce it, Like that's their big thing was that.
Speaker 2: I always thought, did you ever see Stargate? No, so it's pretty popular movie.
Speaker 3: The one of the villain's name is Rack, and he's like a similar kind of like not similar, but like just the idea. I always thought that there was just like oh raw, because it's his name, it's applied to multiple characters.
Speaker 2: They were like, okay, let's just do this.
Speaker 1: So I guess, like I was googling it and it says Ros al Ghoul, which is incorrect, according to Paul, is closer to so like he's known as the demon's head, and I guess in an Arabic when you are translating this term the demon's head, it actually is Ros that it's like closer to Roz in Arabic. So that's like how one could argue that this is the correct pronunciation, but the the comic cannon pronunciation is race, which they do not say in this movie.
Speaker 2: Correct. Correct, So there are multiple pronouncations in this movie.
Speaker 1: There are I didn't even notice that.
Speaker 3: The lady who says ras alcool I laugh every time because she doesn't understand it was the joke of it.
Speaker 2: But she's like, I'm sorry, what'd you say? It's ras al ghole. Oh he's here.
Speaker 3: His reactions great, interesting time for Liam Neeson to in this moment explain so this is again it's zero five, so this is every I love this joke that this is Liam Neeson's Guide era because he's Qui Gone in Phantom Menace he is the father, he's Priest Valin and Gangs of New York and he's obviously Henry Ducard here, and then in Kingdom of Heaven a year later he is the father of.
Speaker 2: Orlando Blues character Baillion and leam.
Speaker 3: Neeson selling me to joke about how like wow, Liam Neeson, like your thing is like you are start the movie off as like the most important character.
Speaker 2: Then you die. He's like, yeah, it's been great, Like I love it. I get to show up for like a.
Speaker 3: Week and I'm good, it's great, and everyone talks about you the entire movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, please stop mentioning Kingdom of Heaven. This is Kingdom of Heaven is the number one best example of a movie that means nothing to anyone except for film nerds. Film nerds like think it's like it's you know you're talking about. I can't think of an example you're talking about, like one Flew overs the Cuckoo's Nest when you bring up Kingdom of Heaven, like everybody's gonna know about it, know about the director's cut. I have never no one has ever mentioned Kingdom of Heaven to me except for like anyone ever in my life, except you've mentioned it to me about five hundred times.
Speaker 2: Well, we have a pod coming out this year about it. That's it was your idea. So I like this. I like this a lot. This is interesting. I say it for the trial, but this was your idea. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Also I like how you like schooled me like, oh, you know, have you ever seen Stargate? And I said, no, you saw. It's a pretty popular movie. Like did you realize you said that? Uh?
Speaker 2: I not realized it is a lot of people like it.
Speaker 1: No, I wouldn't say so honestly, But do you know, did you tell me the story about James Spader and Kurt Russell on set or was that? Did I read that somewhere? Okay, yeah, so Kurt Russell he there's a story that somebody told about being on set of that movie and that that. Kurt Russell got the script and was like, this is the dumbest fucking thing I've ever read in my life. I I this is honestly the worst script I've ever read. And they said we're gonna pay you X amount of money and he was like, awesome, I'm there and he was just professional, you know, happy, nice to everyone. And James Spader wouldn't come out of his trailer one day and it was delaying shooting, and Kurt Russell was like, what the fuck? So he goes to his trailer and goes, what are you doing? And James Speed says, I keep telling them to change the dialogue. They're not listening to me. This is the worst dialogue I've ever read, And like, I'm not coming out of my trailer until they listen to me and change the dialogue. And Kurt Russell was like listen, you asshole. This is the worst movie I have ever heard of. This. This is so fucking dumb. I hate this script. It's it's absolutely idiotic. They're paying us millions of dollars. There are people on this set that are being paid way less than us, and they can't afford to wait around, like the lighting guys that are working on this. Get your ass out of your trailer and let's put a smile on our face, get our paycheck, and finished filming this stupid fucking movie. And then James Vader was like, all right, let's go.
Speaker 2: Did you see Tombstone? I made that what that is today? So get up and let's go.
Speaker 1: But I've never seen Stargate. I've never seen the original.
Speaker 2: Well it's massively popular.
Speaker 1: It's like she just yeah, okay, and the show's really good too, so uh duke card Ducard liam Neeson, he did make a question about it in Jeopardy. Ducard liam Neeson says, I work for Rachelle goal and I'm for the League of Shadows. It's this organization that is run by Rachelle gool and he says, tomorrow you will be released. There is a rare blue flower that grows on the eastern slopes carry it to the top of the mountain, and I just thought of how fucked I would be in that scenario. They just pushed me out of the prison. I have no food or water, and I'm like, is this the east? Like what I have no idea? What's supposed to do? Flower?
Speaker 2: Is that the right mountain?
Speaker 1: Right? So there's this iconic shot of Bruce is like ascending a hill and on the other side there are these like spears in the ground with flags on them. But I remember seeing the shot. Oh yeah, I remember seeing that all the time. But Bruce finds this rare blue flower on the side of a mountain and this is like a glacial mountain. They show a glacier growing on the side of this mountain. This comes up a lot for me watching these movies now. But just Batman could never exist because like the best mma fighter of all time, who John Jones? You know, like he gets injured, he tears his achilles, he breaks his toe, plus not to mention the CTE. Batman would be experiencing like he would have some seer and you know, comic book guy would be like they show him injured all the time. In the comics, his back is covered in scars. It's like, no, you would have he would have bad knees and like not be able to be Batman anymore. He would have serious head trauma and not be able to be Batman anymore. It's not true. Yeah, go ahead to.
Speaker 3: Their credit to movies. Later they crush this in one hilarious scene.
Speaker 1: Yes, they do.
Speaker 2: They do a very good job with that. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So he brings the flower to this temple dojo and is asked what you seek, and he says, quote, I seek the means to fight injustice, to turn fear on those who pray on the fearful, and Ducard is sort of testing him, and Ducard reads his face and says, I can tell you aren't afraid of me, which has gotta be kind of interesting to like not be scared of the League of Shadows. He probably loves that. He's like, wow, he's legitimately not afraid of us. Uh, tell me, mister Wayne, what do you fear? And then there is a flashback Ryan, do you want to describe sort of this flashback sequence of childhood?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 3: So it's a flashback to Bruce as a kid. It is the is it the Night of the Opera, and I remember that right even it was this morning.
Speaker 1: It is the Night of the Opera. But first he falls.
Speaker 2: Oh so this is after the fall from the opening credits, got.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then the iconic line from Thomas Wayne brusus dad, I.
Speaker 3: Love yeah, I love the Dad repels down, picks him up and he's like, don't be afraid. And then when he's walking in we get introduced to Alfred played by Michael Caine, and Alfred's is trying to be encouraging and nice and he's just like, why do we fall, Bruce, And he's like, to pick ourselves back up?
Speaker 1: So we can learn to pick ourselves back up. That's why we fall. It's a great message.
Speaker 2: Great message this.
Speaker 3: I really like the guy who played Thomas Wayne in this movie. Yeah, another British actor.
Speaker 2: I think he did it.
Speaker 3: Really This could be a very corny role because it's so influential on the character's motives, and he does it already nonchalant, especially later.
Speaker 2: He does a very good job that.
Speaker 1: I think he's excellent in this movie. He was later in what's that Nicholas Cage movie that I hate that like everybody loves that's a horror movie directed by that Greek guy.
Speaker 2: Noody.
Speaker 1: Mandy.
Speaker 2: Oh, Mandy, he's in Mandy. I've not seen Mandy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So in Mandy Thomas Way and the actor he has a fully nude scene and he's very small and I think confident. I guess good confidence of him.
Speaker 2: A year before he was in a chronicles ritic.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, but yeah, he shows Bruce. He's like, I got your mom this pearl necklace for the opera, and I wrote, this isn't foreshadowing anything.
Speaker 3: And also like, Bruce, what do you think she'll hate it? I want to shout out something because again, as Tim already warned everybody how terrible this is going to be. But a lot of scornography notes here. So this movie, like I mentioned earlier, is scored by Hans.
Speaker 2: Zimmer and James Dwton Howard and James Newton.
Speaker 3: Howard does a lot of these scenes, a lot of these these moments where it's much more of like the kind of emotional.
Speaker 2: Not so much.
Speaker 3: Complex, but emotional and multi layered parts. I really love, like this solo horn sound they give for Thomas Wayne, that kind of like very faded thing that James Duton Hord, James Newton whore.
Speaker 2: Wow, that sounds great. James Newton Howard.
Speaker 1: Wow, Ryan, you butchered it again. It's Olivia Newton John.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's Olivia Newton John.
Speaker 3: We have put Xanna doing this too with Brian Setzer, but he does a really great job and a very underrated person in this story, similar to David Escoyer of this trilogy. He does a lot of impactful stuff that I don't think it's enough credit, but I really love this.
Speaker 2: Thomas Wayne's score is a really great job.
Speaker 1: So Thomas Wayne is basically an old school billionaire, like a Rockefeller billionaire. And he built the train system in Gotham and he says to Bruce, Gotham has been so generous to our family, but it's people are suffering. And I thought, wow, what a weird concept. A billionaire who genuinely cares about people suffering. And this is very important. This is like the film introduction of Joke Joe Cool. So Joe Chill, Sorry, I apologize, Joke.
Speaker 3: Cool Campbell's cigarettes guy might be here later. Maybe you might be in Dark Knight Rises.
Speaker 1: That's a very that's a very good point.
Speaker 2: We want me to do well for because of fucking Campbell coming at us over here.
Speaker 1: Joe Chill is the guy who kills Thomas and Martha Wayne Bruce's parents in the comics, and and because like audiences are stupid, they had to make it the Joker does it. In the original Michael Keaton Batman, the Joker kills his parents, but in this movie it's depicted accurately that Joe Chill, who's this sort of like vagrant, shoots his parents in a robbery and Thomas. The way Thomas handles this is perfect. He's very calm and he's like, hey, it's okay, you can have all of our money, and he's fine with it. But then when Joe Chill points the gun at Martha, Thomas jumps in front of the gun to protect Martha, and Joe is startled by that Southern sudden movement and shoots him. And then there's like a struggle and there's panic, and he's ripping the pearls off of Martha, because the iconic dead parents moment in Batman is the slow motion pearls clanging to the ground, And then in sort of a panic, he Joe fires and shoots Martha as well, and then runs and leaves Bruce alone with his parents.
Speaker 2: Was this was really well done? It was?
Speaker 1: It was really well done for something that's in like every Batman movie ever. It's very well done. And Thomas's last words to Bruce is it's okay, Brews, don't be afraid.
Speaker 2: Oh so good. A little opera goes a long way. He's also a great line. I love that.
Speaker 1: And he is child. Bruce is comforted by a very kind police officer, and Ryan who is this police officer?
Speaker 2: This is a James Gordon played by Carry Oldman. I this moment is just so it's like almost like tear inducing. It's just so incredibly human. Gordon's like, this your dad's jacket.
Speaker 3: He's like yep, and he puts it on him and he's just like, it's okay, It's okay. And I love that they call this back later in this movie and in another movie. But so we were talking about people where they are in their career. So old Benon very famous for being kind of villainous or insane people his most of his career.
Speaker 2: And then.
Speaker 3: I love In the Makingup documentary, David A. Skya says, Christopher Nolan says, what do you think about Gary Oldman.
Speaker 2: Is as Jim Gordon. He was like, uh no, it's like, what do you mean. He's like, what do you mean? I think he can do it? And he's like okay.
Speaker 3: So Gary Oldman had been playing I think I probably benefited him pop culturally, but like he had played Serious Black a year before in Prisoner of Azkapan, the third Harry Potter movie, and he was a guy who was quote unquote proceived as a villain but actually a very good character and a very good person.
Speaker 2: And Oldman really crushed that.
Speaker 3: And he does an incredible job with this, Like he really is good at this.
Speaker 1: He I mean, Gary Oldman can do anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Gary Oldman to me is a Swiss army knife. He's just an incredible actor. Almost, Like I don't think he's underrated now because I think everybody respects him, but like almost underrated.
Speaker 3: I think so, especially at like now he's probably has more prestige and respect. But like this point in time, it was very much like a lot of actually very famous stars. At this time, a lot of these guys were getting kind of like come uppins from people who liked them and given roles that were.
Speaker 2: Not the usual thing.
Speaker 3: And he said, this is what attracted into this thing, because he was like, he didn't know a lot about Batman, but in interviews he was just like, so this guy doesn't turn evil, they were like, and he was like surprised that people asked him to do it.
Speaker 2: He's just very, very shocked. But it works so well.
Speaker 3: He's actually consistently one of the best performances in this trilogy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, also, no offense, not to victim blame, but if you're gonna if you're wearing a tux with your wife and your child and they're like your wife's wearing pearls, maybe don't walk down Crime Alley to leave the theater alone. But this just makes me again reiterate how amazing it is. And the Dark Knight returns when Superman just rites into the ground with his laser vision where and then Bruce whispers, knowing Superman has Superhering just whispers Crime Ali because he thinks, if I'm going to fight Superman to the death, this is sort of like the penultimate This is the climax of my life. I'm going to be killed by Superman, and to fight to the death, I'd want to die where my parents died. That's just such a fucking incredible moment. And the way that he says it quietly, Crime Ali, I say it to myself all the time. It just gives me chills even thinking to myself at that moment. So Rutger Howard works for Thomas Wayne and he says to childhood, Bruce, when you grow up, your father's empire will be waiting for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Rutger Howard, great pick for this. Blade Runner is a huge visual influence on this movie. This movie probably looks the most different than the other two in terms of just design and the city of Golfman. Everything one is always set, especially towards the end of the movie. That Blade Runner was a big influence. And then having Rucker Hower from Blade Runner in this movie as this kind of character, which again overcasting these roles is really cool.
Speaker 1: So cut back to Ducard and Bruce training with the League of Shadows and Ducard asks him do you still blame yourself for your parents' death? And he says yes, but my anger outweighs my guilt, and Ducard explains, you know how to fight six men, we can teach you how to engage six hundred. You know how to disappear we will teach you to become invisible theatricality and deception. You must become more than a man to your opponents. And he also states, which this is, This is the quintessential Like when I was talking about this in the intro episode, this movie is about a discussion of the human condition, he says. Du Card says to bruce criminals threat on the indulgence of society's understandings. And I wrote down an Elon Musk quote he recently said. He says, he said the fundamental weakness of Western civilization is empathy. That is a recent Elon Musk quote. Oh, it's so funny to me that the richest man in the world, arguably the most successful man in the history of humanity, who has more money than you could ever imagine, is a complete fucking loser, Like is it sad, angry, scared loser who spends all his time yelling at immigrants online. And he recently said it said the fundamental weakness of Western civilization is empathy. That just that says so much about about who Batman is, who Ducarde is, who Elon Musk is, and Ducard is training him and his sort of like I got to prepare you for any situation, right, So he just randomly, because he batman has to know not to feel emotions, so he randomly says during their fight, their training fight on a sheet of ice, it's your father's fault. Your parents died. And Bruce is like clearly mentally thrown off by this comment. And is this when he Ducard says you need to pay attention to your surroundings. Is this that moment?
Speaker 3: I think exactly. I think Dukard is saying this. Number one, because I think Dukrd believes this is true. And number two, I want to get Bruce angry to show him that when your emotions take over, you can't keep yourself coordinated, to make him this cold soldier again, like, I'm not really training you to be Batman, I'm training you to be part of this group. Yeah, And that it was your father's was definitely a gasp kind of line. And also we get to see the the birth of like the bat fins on the arms here when they slide down the sword, you're like, oh, here we go, Okay.
Speaker 1: The gauntlets. Yeah, the League of Shadows has these metal gauntless they were on their forearms and they have like sort of spikes or fins in them. Yeah, and that's sort of a quintessential item in Batman's costume.
Speaker 3: And I think it's a really cool thing with that moment too, when he says that line, because the scene before it is that scene with Alfred and young Bruce, and Bruce is just staring out the window and he's like, if I didn't get scared, we wouldn't have got out, we wouldn't have gone outside, and this would have never happened. And Alfred is like the two opposite coins of father figures.
Speaker 2: In Bruce's adult life. We don't really get to Alfred later, but like the idea of like Alfred's like that's his actions alone. You had no control over that.
Speaker 3: You could never have known, nor could this have ever been predicted that this would happen this way, And like the idea is like, don't take the blame on yourself, because especially a kid does not to hear that, you know what I mean, Like like, yeah, it is your fault. Like if you guys didn't go outside, yes theoretically you would, they would not have died.
Speaker 1: But like it, Ducard thinks, you know, Thomas Wayne had so much money and influence and he was so intelligent, but he was he had the weakness of empathy, and what a fool he was. And it proves me right that the very like destitute people of Gotham that Thomas Wayne was trying to save, that guy literally murdered him. So this proves what a fool Thomas was to have empathy, and how right I am.
Speaker 3: But and later we realize how much horseshit that is too from him as well from Ducard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yep, and uh so Bruce gets the upper hand of Ducard and he says yield, and du Card says, you always have to pay attention to your surroundings and he basically like kicks the ice and Bruce falls through the ice.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And Bruce now goes back home to wayne Manor and he is is he talking to Rachel that he's going to Princeton, but he got kicked out. He got expelled from Princeton.
Speaker 3: He's talking to Alfred when he comes in. At first he's talking about like I might not go back, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Alfred says, like why not, and he says they don't want me back. I got expelled, and Alfred mentions, your father put me in charge of the most important thing to him, and he's he reiterates to Bruce, I will never give up on you.
Speaker 2: You haven't given up with me, never love. It's so well done.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, and we should say, like Michael Caine amazingly again, overcast but incredible Alfred throughout this entire series.
Speaker 1: Yeah, crushes, it crushes Alfred Murders. He doesn't have, like because Alfred in the comics is like a secret badass and he doesn't really have that aspect to him, but it doesn't matter for this.
Speaker 3: I think what this one reminded me of is like, oh, the idea is that he is just this container of empathy for Bruce that like this like bizarre, like he doesn't have to be here, and he's like, I'm an employee who like they put me in charge of taking care of the family and the household, but now they're like making me in charge of you as a parent, and like he doesn't have to do this. He truly doesn't, and Bruce has the resources to not need Alfred. But there's something there.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I wrote a note I haven't seen Begins in so long I genuinely forgot it was Katie Holmes I was like waiting for Maggie, Jill and Hall to show up, and I was like, holy shit, it's Katie Holmes.
Speaker 3: I forgot about that this is it's yeah, yeah, not a lot of plot and a lot of very thematic, blatant dialogue from her. I think she had an ununveable to last here. But it's not great. She's not great in this Yeah. Well it's also tough, du don't get me wrong. Don't get me wrong. She's surrounded by beast mode people in this movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like the only American act. But I thought, okay, I have no idea why Katie Holmes would not come back for The Dark Knight. So I assume that she was fired or Christopher Nolan didn't like her. So I looked it up and Christopher Nolan said the opposite, that he wanted to get her back and she refused. So I thought, how does that make sense? So I asked AI. I was like, why on earth would Katie Holmes not come back for The Dark Knight? Like what were the rumors? And according to AI, she was definitely not fired by Christopher Nolan wanted her back, and they said, here are here are five rumors as to why she did not come back. Number one is Tom Cruise Scientology. At the time, they were heavily in the top tabloid's. Internet speculation claimed he or people around Scientology wanted her career choices controlled or toned down. None of this has ever been confirmed, but that was a big one. Second one was Warner Brothers. Just I wanted to distance away from her and Scientology because so much shit was going on in the tabloids at the time. I mean, this was such a big deal and it was it was so sad and scary. Like the interviews with her at the time, she just seemed like she was fully indoctrinated into a cult.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, Am I to believe that Cruise came to the premiere of this movie and like sucked up all the attention because this is like one of their early outings as a couple.
Speaker 1: That's very possible. I don't know that for certain, but that seems right. Number three criticism of her performance because everybody hated her. And it begins Number four of money or contract dispute or number five just simple career miscalculation. It just she might have thought other roles were a better move for her career. At the time, but in retrospect, nobody really could have possibly known how big of a deal The Dark Knight was. So for us to voluntarily turned down The Dark Knight is so insane to me. But I want to say that, like Rachel is not a very good character in the I don't know, she doesn't bring a lot to the table. Paul. This is another thing with Paul, like this really just really, just like the trilogy is rotten to the core for Paul because of Rachel and their relationship essentially, but one part of me being a Devil's Advocate will be like Bruce is totally rational and also aspects of his life except for Rachel. What is the explanation for that? Sometimes if you have this like childhood romance best friend, like as an adult, your nostalgia and your emotions for that are not rational, Like it's like having it's almost like a high school crush. You feel more passionate and more illogical about high school crush remembering those days even as an adult than you would about like a much more important relationship in your life, If that makes any sense.
Speaker 3: I get you, because it's like such a hugely impactful moment for you at that time when like it's such a huge thing to feel at that moment, especially when it's early in life. My problem with again, like I mentioned, her performance is not great. I don't think the character is written particularly well because again, she very much is like plot and blatantly theme based dialogue for the movie. I also think that we don't their chemistry is just not great as a couple. They never really are a couple in this movie. But like I don't feel like fuck Bruce missed out or fuck Rachel missed out on this great relationship because they had so much like kinetic energy together.
Speaker 2: That's just not here. So when this plays into being a much more crucial factor in the other movies, it's kind of like it doesn't feel like the way it should be. I guess the best way to put it is that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree with that, And can you expand a little when you say that she clearly only has theme based dialogue.
Speaker 2: Like we'll get to the lines later, but like it's what you do.
Speaker 3: That defines you as a person, and like your father would be ashamed of you, And it's very much like the reminder of like the thematic idea like Bruce becoming a better person, because this is probably Bruce at is worst these next couple scenes in terms of being a human being, and it's just not There's not a lot of eloquence written with this. And even if the dialogue is not great, obviously, I just don't think she has much of the acting chops to make that scene better.
Speaker 2: Than it is to me. So you can probably maybe argue that maybe like Alfred or Lucius Fox do not have great dialogue, but those guys just do it so well you don't care, and maybe that finesse is what's missing here.
Speaker 3: But the fact that this is a crucial thing that affects this character in multiple future movies.
Speaker 2: It's just hard. It's a hard nuclear Yeah.
Speaker 1: You know, as Brian Setzer said, a woman is a woman, and a man ain't nothing but a man cool.
Speaker 2: He knew it him boom.
Speaker 1: So Joe Chill is now a witness against Carmine Falconi, the mafia boss, and he is getting early parole. So Bruce shows up to the courthouse with a gun and they ask they ask, Bruce, do you want to have a witness impact statement or a victim impact statement to argue against him getting out on early parole? Because he did kill your parents, and Bruce says no, he doesn't even want to give a statement. He just leaves the courtroom and he has a gun. He's gonna kill Joe Chill. Sorry, go ahead, know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: I think this is again.
Speaker 3: Another thing so well done is like when the judge asked, there's a member of the Wayne family here, has he got anything to say?
Speaker 2: And all they do is hang on Joe Chill's face. They don't show Bruce and Richard Brake plays Joe Chill. He's been in a ton of movies.
Speaker 3: He he is always the villain Barbarian, a lot of rob zombie stuff.
Speaker 2: He's always great.
Speaker 1: He plays basically a Nazi and the Mandalorian.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, exactly. He is always bad.
Speaker 3: But he does such a good job of like someone's eyes are burning in the back of my head, and I can tell because like his eyes are looking to the left, like he almost like he wants to turn around, or he doesn't want to turn around.
Speaker 2: He does such this is such a cool way to do the scene.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because even a serial killer who has no remorse doesn't want to spend time being lectured by the victim's child. That's gonna make them feel really uncomfortable. So you can see his face and he's like, oh no. But then Bruce doesn't even say anything yes, so he his plan is he's gonna wait till Joe Chill comes out in the hallway and kill him.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: And then what happens before he has the chance to do that.
Speaker 3: A woman comes out and says hey, Falcone says thanks or something like that, and then shoots and kills Joe Chill in the courtroom and again, really well done here.
Speaker 2: Rachel tries to get Bruce to leave and she like, come on, you don't need to see this. He's like, nope, I do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree. And just as a quick side note, in the comics, there's an alternate universe where Bruce was killed and Martha but Thomas survives and Thomas becomes Batman and he's like an alcoholic, murderous psychopath and I love him. But like, the my favorite moment that made me laugh so hard in the Flashboinn paradox is when the flash which comes from like the Bruce Wayne Batman universe, meets the Thomas Wayne Batman and they're in the back cave and he's like where's the bat computer? And he goes back computer and they show there's just like a wooden table covered in guns and bombs, Like he has no computer.
Speaker 2: That's just straight rage.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, no plan no planning. He's not a detective. He just kills people. But I believe Rachel says, revenge and justice is never the same. Revenge is about making yourself feel better. If you care about justice, you would look at this city. It is rotting. There are new Joe Chills created every day. What chance does Gotham have when good people do nothing? And Rachel also he basically tells her like I was gonna kill him, and she slaps him and says, your father would be ashamed of you.
Speaker 2: I really the wark. I really like this, I really do.
Speaker 1: I like this too. I think this is a good choice. And Bruce throws away the gun and then just goes straight up to meet Falconi in person, without a gun, without any intent of harming him, and uh Falcone to Tom Wilkinson. The first thing is he says, is, oh, you came to thank me. Because he's like basically like sitting in a restaurant hanging out because he's a mafia boss. He's like Tony Soprano and he just killed he just had his goons killed Joe Chill, who killed Bruce's parents. So Falcone, he says, Oh, you came to thank me, which I thought was kind of.
Speaker 3: Also the judge. I love that, the judge from the court cases sitting in the bar.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, he says, listen here, kid, there are judges, counselmen. You can't do anything to me. You want me to hurt your lady friend, You want me to hurt your butler, and he says he says, basically, because Bruce is a rich kid. He says, you've never been desperate. You'll never understand it. You'll never understand the city that we live in because you've never been desperate, and you'll always fear what you don't understand. But I think that that's really unfair, because you know, like people shit all over Prince Harry. And I understand not comparing Prince Harry to Batman, and I understand Prince Harry seems pretty frustrating. But Bill Simmons was like talking about how much he hates Prince Harry and now he's a loser, and how he's like a spoil he's literally a spoiled prince. He was raised a prince, and I'm like, I was watching that. It's like, is anyone jealous of Prince Harry? I'm not his his Like do you want to first of all, growing up as a royal seems fucked? What kind of relationships you have in life? Your uncle was Prince Andrew.
Speaker 3: You're yeah, you have no control over that, but still yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, your mother was killed. So I was listening to Bill Simmons is like, you know, his mother was murdered right, Like she was killed by paparazzi when he was a little boy. His life has to be so fucked and like, yeah, he has money, but I don't think Bruce has never felt desperate? Are you kidding me? Because he has money, you don't think that a person who witnessed their parents' murder has never felt desperate. Yeah, I mean he's fortunate that he is money. There there are kids that have witnessed their parents' murder and they have no money, and that they're worse off than Bruce. I'll give him that.
Speaker 3: But think of this like in real like, look think of Falcone Falcony in relation to Ducard, someone who's like I figured you out. I know what your deal is because I'm going through the prism of what I have and what I do and how I.
Speaker 2: See the world. So I've decided to put you in that way of thinking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, yeah, and he gets up. He basically gets up to leave, and Falcone says, Joe Chill told me that when he killed your parents, your dad begged for mercy like a dog. So hey, just a that's the kind of thing that like, I would want to pull out a knife and stab someone in the eye in that moment.
Speaker 2: But yeah, he didn't.
Speaker 1: That's just factually untrue. Like Bruce was there, Bruce would just happened.
Speaker 2: I remember this happening, I said, not how it went.
Speaker 1: Yes, like Bruce could literally say that, uh and uh and now and now cuts back to I believe Bruce and Ducard and he says, the first time I stole, so I wouldn't survive, so I wouldn't starve. First time I stole, so I wouldn't starve. I lost many assumptions about the simple nature of right and wrong, because right and wrong is not simple a lot of the time. And uh. Then du Card gets him what I would call scarecrow high in their training, So why don't you explain scarecrow high in their training at this point.
Speaker 3: So there the flower that he had to find, the rare blue flower is being used as some kind of like hallucinogen to get you in touch with these feelings of fear, because the idea is to look past fear and then create it.
Speaker 2: And they get a little bit blurry. They have a very small dosa chere.
Speaker 3: So it's just the idea of like they're using these things to kind of like almost like kamikaze, make these guys a little bit less fearful.
Speaker 1: So I thought, this is a really cool moment. So he's high, and he's trying to defeat du Card, but there's like an army of ninjas, and Ducard is hiding amidst the army of ninjas, and he Bruce gets a cut on his shoulder, and then Bruce starts going around and cutting other guys shoulders so Bruce will be indistinguishable from them. And then Duke Card puts his his knife to the throat of a guy with a cut in his shoulder, knowing it's Bruce, and then Bruce appears behind him and defeats him. Says like no, I tricked you and I win. So he's fully graduated at this point the League of Shadows. He's ready to begin. He's done with school. And there's a local murderer who in the village was caught and Bruce is told by Ducard, you must kill you must execute this man. This is your final test and then we can move on to our greater mission. And Bruce says, no, I'm not gonna kill this guy. And Ducard says, compassion is a weakness your enemy will not share. Is this This is a very good philosophical debate between Ducard and Bruce. Bruce responds, you're right, that's why it's so important. It separates me from them. And then Duke Card says, this man is a murderer. Bruce says, who should be tried, and then Ducard says, by who corrupt bureaucrats Because that's a good point, like, okay, if the if the system is corrupt, you can't trust the system.
Speaker 2: That's what happened with Joe Chill right out in fourteen years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, And Ducard explains Gotham's time has come, like Rome before it. It's beyond saving. It must be allowed to die.
Speaker 2: Oh well, this is this is rape talking here.
Speaker 1: Oh right, sorry, I forgot, so expect that.
Speaker 2: We're leaving out.
Speaker 3: So Rachel Cool is here, played by Ken Wantonabe, another person overcast from the last Samurai in other movies, and he is the one in charge of the League of Shadows, and he's saying like, nope, it's the time.
Speaker 2: This is what we've been doing for years.
Speaker 3: Is anything that's gotten too big or too overgrown, we're the ones who cut it down.
Speaker 1: That's exactly right. So I forgot. I totally forgot about that. So Raychelle goal is revealed. He's the leader of the League of Shadows, and it's Ken wanton Abe, who's a wonderful actor, and Ducard is like his right hand man number two. But it's finally revealed that this is rach and this this I wrote back when it looked back at you, when it looked back at us, you blinked, which is the line I talked about with al Man and the intro. And this is a reference to the Nietzsche dictum, he who fight with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze along into an Abyss. The Abyss also gazes into you. So I think that I say that the Superman's greatest superpower is being a good person. He is the power of a god, and he's not narcissistic or egotistical or cruel. He is a fair kind man because of Martha and Jonathan Kent. So I think Batman's superpower is that he has gazed into the Abyss, and the Abyss gazed back at him, and he did not blink. He would rather fight the entire League of Shadows over the dispute of the value of a murderer's life than blink.
Speaker 3: And then he banks on that after this whole thing happens, he still backs even for people he doesn't like, you know, who have become now enemies. When he flicks the whatever it is, the burning iron thing and starts the fire and then starts the whole League of Shadows battle, and then he chooses to save du Card on the cliff. Yeah, like he's still This goes into the later in the movie too, but the idea that like people think he's going further and further down the hole, but he's still like has he's this is this new grip He's retained is like this whole view and how people react to it. I think it's so funny, but we'll guess. We'll get to it later. We should also say too that this scene, the fight with the League of Shadows, another scornography corner here is one of the many big themes from this movie. Music wise, that this becomes every trailer uses this music for the next decade plus. Really absolutely, this was using the V for Vendetta trailer.
Speaker 2: This used constantly after this.
Speaker 1: It's interesting that you could just use other movie scores in a trailer but not in the actual movie itself.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, a ton of times. That happens a lot. A lot of people use I've.
Speaker 1: Never really thought of that before, but that, yeah, that makes that makes total sense. And Rorshak as a character and Watchman, Alan Moore wrote him to be as if Batman was a real person, Like if Batman existed in real life, this is who he would be. And Rorshak is definitely I don't blame him, but he's definitely someone who blinked when the abyss stared back.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, And this.
Speaker 1: Is the quincid central argument. Like someone like Frank Castle who just kills people, he's a vigilante like Batman who just kills people. It's how can you do this and still think humanity is worth saving? You know all the evil in the world and you are cynical, but you still have faith in humanity and you still have empathy that is Batman's superpower. And all these people, you know, do Card, Frank Castle, rorshak Elon Musk, they blinked and they're soft. So he's as you mentioned. He burns down the League of Shadows Temple dojo and saves du Card from falling off a cliff. He does a single arm bicep curl with Duke Card and I thought, Nope, physically impossible. Liam Neeson is the tall guy. He's got to be. He's got to be two hundred pounds minimum, two hundred pounds. He does a single arm two undred pounds bicep curl. Nope, would not happen. Then he takes a flight back to got him.
Speaker 2: Yep, that's exactly what it is.
Speaker 1: So explain this conversation with Alfred.
Speaker 3: So Alfred picks him up and he's like, hey, I'm back, and he's like, I know I need to do because like Alfred is not so much questioning his return, but it's just like this sudden complete change in personality, and he's like, I need to continue my father's work, but in a different way. I need to become something more because as a person I can be destroyed, I can be discredited, I can be whatever, But as a symbol, I can't be broken, or as an idea, because I think that's one of the comments that do Card says true.
Speaker 2: It says an idea, you really can't be stopped.
Speaker 3: And Alfred is like, okay, but it's gonna be tough because you've been dead for seven years and he's like, you've had me legally claim dead.
Speaker 2: He's like, yeah, what do you want me to do.
Speaker 3: He's like, well, benefits you because you were the sole beneficiary of all of my all of like my finances. And he's like, yep, that's true. And he's just like, uh, He's like, if you want to take the rolls out, you can just fill it back up and you bring it back. And then I love I love this joke. I think this joke is genuinely great. It's like, you know, I'll have this protections in place for the people who helped me do this, because you know this could go bad, and then Alfred or I think Alfred says that, like, what are you gonna do about people around you? Because people will always go for the people in your life, they will never just get you. And He's like, oh, you think I should be more careful and stuff like that, and Alfre's like, yeah, I actually was thinking of myself. I'm butchering this line, but like, I just love that joke of just like, yeah.
Speaker 1: So Bruce is saying a symbol is corruptible, is incorruptible and everlasting, and Alfred says, a symbol also protects everyone around you. They're not going after here you, Bruce, Wayne, They're going after a symbol. And then just being having such a heart on for Rachel, He's like, oh, you mean protect Rachel, and Alfred goes, no, I mean me, you dumbass.
Speaker 2: I actually think about myself. That's really funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean myself. Also introduced to in this moment, not on the plane, but like in a separate moment. Killian Murphy plays Doctor Crane, who is Scarecrow in the comics. Killian Murphy a favorite of Christopher Nolan, obviously a favorite of mine.
Speaker 3: One audition for Batman and got the doctor Crane roll after Yeah, and again overcast, but him at this time probably most famous in the US for.
Speaker 2: Twenty eight days.
Speaker 3: Later, yes, a few years before great casting. Love anytime he reappears in these movies. Love it every time. It's great.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: And who was the guy? There's like three audition tapes you can watch and it's Christian Bale's audition as Batman, Killian Murphy's audition is Batman. And then who's the third guy?
Speaker 3: There's a guy who was did not become super famous. I think it was another British actor who played him.
Speaker 2: I think it's more good.
Speaker 1: Well, I was just gonna say he was like a very handsome, sort of surface level actor. Ian Bailey. Ian Bailey, Yeah.
Speaker 3: I love in these auditions because if you watch them, they only show footage of the actors and these are on YouTube. By the way, the voice off camera auditioning with them as Amy Adams, that's so crazy. Why she you think this is five or four probably or even before. She was not like a big name, and she said, like everyone said, like, it's kind of funny because you can tell it's her voice. And the casting director always liked her, So she was like, if I put her in the room, will she get more attention from people if she's there?
Speaker 2: Ah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay. And she also she had an in with Setzer.
Speaker 2: They were engaged.
Speaker 1: Right, I want to see Amy.
Speaker 2: Amy looks like it's gonna hail Adison. Sound Rightoo.
Speaker 1: What are some early movies of him Killian Murphy? Yeah, twenty eight years later? Really nothing else? Cold Mountain, that's right. I recently Wait, we're thinking of the same movie, right, yeah, Cold Mountain. I recently watched Cold Mountain for the first time. I watched it on a plane randomly. Wow, loved it?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, did you like it?
Speaker 2: No? I was sat in the others. I was not a big fan.
Speaker 1: No, Oh, I loved it. I thought, I really enjoyed it. There's a horrifying battle in it. That's it's a true story called the Crater. I think it's that's what it's called the Battle of the Crater, where basically the Confederate Army I could be butchering this, but the Confederate Army was trying to set off this detonation and it ended up creating the land. So like they were all in the crater and then the Union Army was attacking into the crater. So the crater just literally became like a giant pool of blood and guts and dead bodies. Yeah, and they it's depicted this this is a real battle that happened during the Civil War, and it's depicted in that movie. And it's just like, absolutely horrifying. I wouldn't want to have served in the Civil War.
Speaker 2: Who knew seem a bit messy. Yeah, yeah, it.
Speaker 1: Seemed a little bit. If you want to make an omelet, you gotta break a few eggs, Ryan, uh so.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So Bruce goes down to some tunnels and Wayne Manor and he's like, hey, you know what, this could be a good spot for a big old back cave.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: He says that out loud, which wasn't my favorite choice.
Speaker 3: That'd be a great just total like improv. Let's go with that, Christian, let's do it. How was the set to the line? That's when they kept yep yep.
Speaker 1: And so he then he's like showing up at work and checking out Wayne Enterprises and Wayne Enterprise, Wayne Enterprises, Wayne Enterprises.
Speaker 2: I think it's what it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, okay, And so explain Morgan Freeman in this film. Another amazing actors in this movie, but explain his role and what happens here.
Speaker 2: So he plays Lucious Fox, who's.
Speaker 1: Actually this is so I already interrupted you Sorry, you're talking about comedy moments in this movie. His interactions with Lucia's are always really.
Speaker 2: Fun, great, always great.
Speaker 3: So this is in the R and D department because Bruce, as Tim mentioned earlier, is kind of like rough drafting what he's gonna do for his symbol process, and he goes down there because he's like, I need equipment to truly do this and tire this out. And I know, like if you know, Wayne has applied Sciences department. So Lucius is just down there in this endless cave if you will, or like abandoned warehouse.
Speaker 2: Looking place since abandoned.
Speaker 3: But and he's just down there, just kind of like by himself, monitoring all this gear and Bruce just asking about like specific items like what about this, do you have anything like bulletproof? Like I'm doing some splunking and cave diving and I need some really tough equipment. And he's like, are you expecting love, are you expecting any expecting any bullets down there?
Speaker 2: What did he say? It makes a coming like that.
Speaker 1: It's like yeah, He's like, are you expecting there to be knife attacks in this cave? Something like that?
Speaker 3: So he's just going down there, and then he's just like, hey, you mind if like we keep this off the cuff whatever, No pun intended there, And he's like, far, as long as I see it, mister Wayne, all this stuff is yours anyways, which I really like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like that he says, this is all your stuff anyway. And Alfred explains, so if we order from China like ten thousand cowls and then without ears, and then we order from like Russia twenty thousand ears, but they don't know their ears, They're just gonna come separately, then we will have tons of spares and it's not as suspicious as a purchase. I always like this kind of explanation because I'm always thinking to myself, like, how like who services the elevator in the bat cave? Who makes sure the elevator doesn't break? Is it Batman? Does he know how to service elevators? Who built the steel platforms? Like you know what I mean? Where does he get all this stuff without raising suspicion? So I like that it explains it.
Speaker 2: It also shows his.
Speaker 3: That he truly can't do this alone, like he just truly can't like with Lucius with Alfred, like he cannot at all accomplish this the way he needs to do it without people with other people involved, which I really like as well, because it seemed like other superheroes. Maybe it could be like more of a solo functioning group or solo functioning unit.
Speaker 2: But I love this whole Like.
Speaker 3: When they're just trying to draw the Collin stuff, I think this is again this unnecessary detail that other movies would not.
Speaker 2: Give a shit about.
Speaker 3: Maybe such a good job. And then he goes to a client and onother member of the party.
Speaker 1: I think it's pretty funny that he says I need this for spelunking, and Lucius is like, you're obviously lying, and then it shows him actually spelunking in the back gave yeah. So well, there's there's a great line, but we'll get to it in a moment that Lucius has. But before that, it's shown Jim Gordon is on the the road working as a detective with his partner Flass, and Flast accepts a bribe and he says, you know, Jim, you should really take this bribe money because when you don't take it, it makes us think you're a rat. And then Jim has a great line he says, and the town as corrupt as this, who would I rat to?
Speaker 2: I do like that. He's like, I'm no rat.
Speaker 3: He does still like hold that of like that, there's some this this accountability. Weirdly, I also Mark Boone Jr. Any movie he's in, You're just like, okay, here we.
Speaker 1: Go, Sons of Anarchy, Yes, Quick Quick in the Dead?
Speaker 2: Is he in that? I haven't? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Does he play the prisoner scarm? I thinking of somebody else?
Speaker 2: I'm trying to think, now I.
Speaker 1: Can I can flact check that? But that's a great point. And then Flash is genuinely like, yeah, you know, that's a good point. Who are you gonna rat to? But yeah, there's a difference between being between having a code and being a rat having a code and not scars nice great yet.
Speaker 3: Very good get I also like this just view of Gordon. They kind of start showing more and more of Gordon here at this level, not being really like the kind of like Commissioner Gordon where you used to which at the time was much more like an older figure who already was in charge.
Speaker 2: And then Gordon goes into his office. It's dark in there.
Speaker 3: Bruce comes behind him and he's just like asking him, like what would it take to take down Falcony And he's just like, you would need to get X, Y and Z and he's like okay, and then something about Judge Hayden too as well, you would need something on Judge Hayden. And I like this little reveal that Gordon thinks it's a on and it's a stapler.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm gonna say that, because he puts a gun to the back of his head and says, don't move. That's a Bruce says, And You're like, wow, Rusus using a gun, it's actually a stapleer he took. He took from the office.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: And I just love like that whole thing. And he's like okay, he's like thank you. It's like you're a good cop. And he just walks away and he's like are you working?
Speaker 2: What does he say? Uh, you're working alone? Are you doing this alone?
Speaker 3: He's to make some comment of that type, and then Bruce is like hour two yeah, and now or two is my favorite gift of all time, hands down.
Speaker 1: Now we're two and he puts his gun on his leg. But this is an important moment if you if you know anything about Batman, Gordon and Batman have these have had dozens, probably hundreds of interactions where they're in the middle of a conversation and then Gordon turns and Batman has disappeared without giving any hint. Yes, but because this is early early Bruce where he's not even Batman yet, he's not in he's not wearing the bat costume, he's just wearing like a ski mask, he isn't able to disappear because he's not good enough yet. So Gordon actually follows him to the rooftop and says freeze, and Bruce just jumps off of the building and like almost.
Speaker 2: Dies eat ships.
Speaker 1: And then he then it cuts to him talking to Lucius and he goes, do you have anything I plan on a bass jumping and Lucius is He's like, listen, Lucious, if you feel uncomfortable with this, and then Luke, this is a fucking great line by Lucius. This is what I was referencing earlier. He says, mister Wayne, if you don't tell me what you're doing when I'm asked about it, I don't have to lie. And then Bruce says, what's that and points to essentially like a racing tank. I don't know how you would even describe it.
Speaker 2: The tumblr the tumblr here we go folks.
Speaker 3: Interesting enough in the making of this movie that batmobile was not in this movie. Wow, And that was not their plant out of Batmobile yet they thought it was just too soon. And the guys who were the head of Warner Brothers at the time were on this documentary and they're like, Nolan.
Speaker 2: Nolan was just like, I know, this is a major studio movie.
Speaker 3: You guys are all about, you know, your marketing and merchandise, Like, is there anything you need me to do in this movie? And the guy was like, where do you see the Batmobile in this movie? And he's like, I don't. It's like, I think it's too early. They're like, well, we really like it if you had a Batmobile in it, And then that's where they got the whole idea for like it was a it was a bridge line pulling vehicle that could jump like cliffs and gaps, but the idea is the bridge never worked, but the vehicle, as Lucia says, works incredibly fine.
Speaker 2: This thing is the best sound ever.
Speaker 3: Just sounds incredible, looks insane.
Speaker 2: Oh what a great invention this is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it really, it really is. And up until this point, the Batmobile has always been depicted as like a sports car. This is a really fast, cool car that's bulletproof. But in the Dark Knight Returns, which was written in the eighties, he essentially is driving like a tank and so this is much it's like a kind of a hybrid of both. But it's much closer to the Dark Knight Returns tank car than it would be to say, the Batmobile and the Michael Keaton Batman.
Speaker 3: It's very the theme that the whole design is the ex for this whole movie is truly just very like functional, like it he needs this to work in a city. This can work, This can break through barriers and like the roads and stuff like that. The police can't mess with this thing. It is very, very functional in terms of its design. Like the Burton Batmobile is fucking sick. Don't get me wrong, it's incredible, but like it just doesn't work here. It's just not the point. You know, it's meant to be like, it's not flashy, you know.
Speaker 1: Exactly, So he drives us around the tumbler and asks Lucius one question, there you go. Does it come in black? Does it come in black? He's discussing with Alfred. He's basically like sharpening batter rings. And Alfred says, why bats messed away? And he says, bats frightened me. And it's time for my enemies to share in my dread. And with that, Bruce is now fully going to become Batman in the batsuit with the cowl and ears and the cape and the utility belt for the first time. We will start that in part two. That's how partool will begin, where actually not part two will begin, Batman begins.
Speaker 2: This is why you get the big bucks. This is why this is
Speaker 1: Why dumping and dump m I know something