Speaker 1: Eight o eight thirteen ten WIBA and every Day Outdoor Living brought you by the Bruce Company online Brucecompany dot com.
Speaker 2: That's Bruce Company dot com. All one word.
Speaker 1: Great day to get on into the Middleton Garden Center the Bruce Company right at twenty eight thirty Parmenter Street. That's twenty eight thirty Parmnter Street. I mentioned the website Bruce Company dot com. I failed to mention social media the Bruce Company Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest. All the places where all the cool people hang out, you'll find the Bruce Company, especially at the Middleton Garden Center. Joining me this morning, the Middleton Garden Center of the Bruce Company, the one on only the Sprinksley.
Speaker 2: So how you doing?
Speaker 3: I'm good? How are you shying?
Speaker 1: I'm doing fantastic. And all the cool people hang out at the Bruce Company because you're there.
Speaker 3: Oh that's so nice.
Speaker 2: Sorry, we got a door open.
Speaker 3: Mostly people are surprised to see me. I don't know where they think I would be.
Speaker 1: You're here, I am, I'm I would be more surprised if I don't see you at hang out? Wait, what where's Lisa? Everything going all right? It's a busy weekend. I'm being a guest at the Bruce Company.
Speaker 3: With the other and so it's beautiful weather.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 1: It's just a beautiful time of a year. Yesterday looked great. Today is going to be a great one. It's also a great day. If you've got a question, we've got a phone line for it. Six oh eight three two one thirteen ten. That's six soh eight three two one thirteen ten. Maybe you got out, got a chance to move a little soil and do some other fun stuff. Maybe you ran into something going What is going on here? Lisa is here to help. Six oh eight three two one thirteen ten. That's six soh eight three two one thirteen ten. And Lisa, as we look at the forecast, Wow, your day to day, especially.
Speaker 3: Today's gonna beautiful. It's I always call it's marchin early the first few weeks of April. It's like the dance of the temperatures. Yes, So, driving around this weekend, what did I see? I saw that red maples are blooming. Oh. I saw a forcythia just about ready to bloom on Saturday. I mean it was yellow, it wasn't all the way open yet. So this means that we have to play this game with the temperatures. Now that stuff is up, things are and although plants are acclimated to handle cold temperatures, sometimes there can be damage. Especially today it's supposed to be like seventy four, and in two days it's we're gonna have a high of well not two days, yeah, a couple days. Yeah, Wednesday is supposed to be forty three. Nights freezing are a little bit below. So this just means if you have things that are moving along, the farther they move along, the more chance there is that they'll be damaged by cold temperatures at night. So get your floating roll covers out going into your garden shed or where if you keep that kind of stuff, and get those out because you can always put those over if you've planted some bedding plants this weekend, like if you did pansies or some cool weather crops, if you've put in some cool weather veedge out into a raised bed, because we've talked about that last week, and you've got seed links coming up, there are super tender. Floating roll covers are great for temperatures that are just right around freezing.
Speaker 1: Okay, And I know one of the one of the uh and I can hear you saying this in my mind three words.
Speaker 2: Have a plan, have a plan that's this time of year, scout, Be prepared.
Speaker 1: Be prepared, have that plan ready, have the stuff ready to go? And uh boy, what a great, what a great opportunity it is to to get stuff going?
Speaker 2: And what quick?
Speaker 1: Is there anything we can be starting right now? I have more things that kind of added to the list.
Speaker 3: Can i'd wait another couple of weeks with tomatoes unless you have like a dedicated space that's really sunny and you have a plan for how you know to uppot them. Usually you know mid April is best if you can't wait, wait till the wait till the first of the of the month. Okay, so, but you can start peppers. There are a lot of other things that you can start now. Anything that's like slow growing. If you have raised beds or areas of the soil is thought and you want to start some cool weather stuff like peas or that sort of thing, you can go ahead and do that as well.
Speaker 1: Everything but califlower, not that you can't start cauliflowers just well, you.
Speaker 3: Can't start cauliflower. Can you have a thing against cauliflower.
Speaker 2: I don't know, I don't like them. I don't know.
Speaker 1: It just I'm thinking about like it's it's something and and uh, you know, we talked about this both on the show and off the show, but with kiddos. Is I've mentioned my son loves cauliflower and Broccolian things, and you pointed out one of the main reasons he probably does is one of their delicious but also because he grew that stuff when he was little and now he's got a connection. And with that too, is we talk about califlower, we talk about getting to me poorflower.
Speaker 2: What about tomatoes? Are things?
Speaker 1: It is a good time to get in and get into the Bruce company and get those seeds. So when when that when the flag goes up to start putting the tomatoes in the ground. You've got the best seeds that your favorite seeds, all the great variety, got a.
Speaker 3: Great selection of huge, huge selection of seeds over eighteen hundred.
Speaker 2: I know it's stay.
Speaker 1: Do you guys ever find like when you're so you're opening up the boxes that the caes are packets are shipping, you ever find like mystery seeds in the bottom of set box? And if so, have you ever just planted them to see what comes on.
Speaker 3: I have not found mystery seeds in the bottom of the box.
Speaker 2: Okay, that would be a.
Speaker 3: Fun but I suspect that in many cases, not all, but in some cases we could probably figure out that it was a bean or a mirror cold or something like that.
Speaker 1: I don't you guys are pretty smart over there. It probably wouldn't be much of a challenge all of them.
Speaker 3: Because like if they're little round black ones, it's kind of hard to.
Speaker 2: Tell which what they're going to go.
Speaker 3: In they're going to be.
Speaker 2: But yeah, that's exciting.
Speaker 1: I'm going to guess there are probably some folks that put some seeds away last year and maybe they poured them into a different container, and like what, well.
Speaker 3: I'm hoping if you were, if you were a person and who save seeds, that you would label what you were saving.
Speaker 2: That's the old best intentions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, great to begin and pick up some fresh seeds. And I mentioned the website earlier and Facebook and social media the Bruce Company. I noticed some pictures of pansies on your on your Facebook page. Can I read into that to say that there may be U pantsies in the area.
Speaker 3: We did get a bunch of bowls and baskets and things. Last week. It was a busy weekend. So if you're gonna you need to pick it up today, I'd call first, call the plant desk or email them plant desk at Bruce Company dot com. They usually come in on Tuesday. Okay, So if we're if it's if choices are slim, it won't be for long.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: And these are the bowl pansies. What about the planting pansies do we get?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we have four inch The only thing we don't have. We don't have flats yet, okay, with the little cells okay, And I don't know yet when I would it's almost April. It's hard to say. We've got not this week. But next week we have five trucks coming in for nursery. So fuck trucks of trees and shrugs. Yikes. Yeah, so stuff will start coming in for greenery two. You know, like betting it'll start with the cool weather stuff. They'll probably get some herbs in because we'll keep those in the greenhouse. The greenhouse will begin to fill up any day now.
Speaker 2: Yes, frightening trying to I don't know that we have our.
Speaker 3: First kickoff meeting to sit for staff meeting today. It's many things are happening.
Speaker 1: It is go time. It's a great time to get into the Middleton gardens of the Rust Company. Right at twenty eight thirty apartment or street. That's twenty thirty partment Street. If you've got a question for Lisa, love to have Jonas this morning. Six SOH eight three two one thirteen ten. That's six SOH eight three two one thirteen ten. And it seems to sneak up on us every year, and this year in particular, because of how early in April it is, uh and the fact that we are almost done with March, which means it's going to be here no time.
Speaker 2: East. Sunday is Sunday right, a few days away.
Speaker 3: Sunday, right, So it is very very early, not as early as it can be. It could be earlier, yes, because the rule for Easter is it is the first Sunday after the first full moon, which I believe is Thursday after the vernal equinox. So not only so that's like March twentieth. Okay, So if March twentieth is say a Friday, and the full moon is that Saturday, so it Easter could be as early as like March twenty second.
Speaker 2: This is Clindrical Science one oh one right here, So.
Speaker 3: It's not as early as it can be, but it's pretty early.
Speaker 1: It's it's pretty early, and especially when it and I don't know what it is, but like new months just kind of like hey, surprise, like you know they're coming, Like I know April is going to be here eventually, but it's like going to be here in no time. So with that, a couple of things to keep in mind. One great day to get into the Milton Gardens of the Bruce Company, because you've got a lot of great, great, nice looking things to decor and flowering and just beautiful things, got all kinds.
Speaker 3: Of Yeah, it's really fun in the store today.
Speaker 2: It is a great day for that. And hours start to change.
Speaker 3: Don't think so yeah, so hours this week are are still winter hours. Okay, so we're closed Easter Sunday, so don't come in because we won't be there. And then on the thirteenth, I'm looking at the calendar, Yes, on the thirteenth, okay, we go to spring hours. Okay, so we have a couple more weeks of our winter hours, ten to five Monday through Saturday, eleven to four on Sunday, and then on the thirteenth, then the hours change and we go back to opening at nine and staying open till six.
Speaker 2: Okay, so we'll announce yes, keep you posted on but yes with this too.
Speaker 1: As we talked with these springs the brist Company, did we mentioned red maples, We talked about pansies. Did you talked about the uh? Yeah, with this stuff this time? I know what you mentioned having a plan ready and those type of things. The other thing that's is speaking of having a plan good time to be planning gardens and that type of stuff as well, is like what do you want that outside and indoor as well, but especially outdoors to look like? Is we're kind of getting to that crunch time of like it's a good time to be thinking of plants.
Speaker 2: A great day.
Speaker 1: We talked about the weather going to be perfect to get into the Middleton Gardens and the Bruce Company and start putting that stuff together, isn't it.
Speaker 3: Yeah? And we do have if you go to our website, I think it's every the last Saturday of every month except in May because that's Memorial Day. We can we have an opportunity for you to meet with one of landscape designers. It's a free fifteen minute consult so you can bring your questions. The next one is April twenty fifth, although I believe that it is getting really close to being full. But the rest of May twenty third, June twenty seventh, July twenty fifth, August twenty ninth, and September twenty sixth, you can sign up for that. Oh yeah, So go to the website, pick the day, fill out the form, and then someone will contact you to off to tell you what slots are available. Okay, so it's from eleven and one, so it's yeah.
Speaker 2: It's a just head on over to Bruce Company dot com.
Speaker 1: Bruce Company dot com do that, by the way, And I had a question I'm going to ask you. I we'll take a break before we do it, but I didn't want to ask you though. One thing is speaking of Bruce Company dot com. We talked the other week about employment opportunities at the Bruce Company, and I know, obviously get into into spring and summer and really great opportunities for folks that may want to start a career or even folks that may be looking for some seasonal employment. You guys do have opportunities at the Bruce Company, don't we do.
Speaker 3: I had sixteen interviews.
Speaker 2: It's a popular place.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I still have some I still have some openings available. I've got a full time in nursery. I've got a couple of part times in greenery. Their cashier positions available. Looking for somebody in furniture, and of course the company wide is also Yeah, looking for people for cruise and Yeah. So if you go to the website and click unemployment, it'll tell you all the things that are open. So put in some applications.
Speaker 2: You can't miss it. On the website Bruce Company dot com.
Speaker 1: They'd love to talk with you if you if you have an interest, maybe you've got some experience, or maybe I just like people in plants and want to work with some great folks again. Learn more online Bruce Company dot com. That's Bruce Company dot com speaking of learning more. If you've got a question, we've got an opportunity for you right now. Give us call six O eight three two one thirteen ten. That's six oh eight three two one thirteen ten. We'll get you right on the here at Lisa breaks from the Bruce Company have been the website recently. Head on over there, Bruce Company dot com, Facebook and social media, The Bruce Company. H best thing to do. Get on in Midleton Garden Sender The Bruce Company twenty eight thirty parm Inter Street. That's twenty at thirty Partment Street. More of every Day Outdoor Living brought you to the Bruce Company comes your way next right here on thirteen ten double Uiba eight twenty two thirteen ten Wiba and Everyday Outdoor Living brought you by the Bruce Company Online. Brucecompany dot Com. That's Bruce Company dot com. Great day, Oh the perfect weather, perfect everything. Everybody's excited. Get into the Middleton Garden Center twenty eight thirty part Regis Street. That's twenty at thirty Partment Street. Online, Brucecompany dot Com. That's all one word, Bruce Company dot Com, Facebook and social media, The Bruce Company.
Speaker 2: And if you've got a question.
Speaker 1: For Lisa, still got some time six oh eight three two one thirteen ten. That's six soh eight three two one thirteen ten. Somebody had asked over the weekend about basically saving and then using their eggshells and putting them in their garden to I don't know, help help add some minerals and much need things. And I said, ah, I don't know the answer to that, and I said, I know somebody who will, and so Bellisa, I know there are folks that And it's always great to conserve and save as much of that stuff as you can. The more things you can reuse the better. Are eggs adding eggshells beneficial?
Speaker 2: Harmful?
Speaker 3: What's the egg shells are a really good source of calcium for plants. But but and putting just throwing your eggs out there will not hurt anything, okay, but it will take quite some time to break them down. So if you're going to put eggs shells in, throw them in a blender first and break them up, powder, pulverize them, get them really small and then or put them in a compost pile and let them break down in with your composts and then just add that as an overall top dress is.
Speaker 1: And when I was a kid, we always say we've got one down at the down at the estate and Ederton. We just literally have a compost pile where we just kind of put that stuff in. Every few weeks, I flip it around. Good stuff it turns out perfect. I have seen a lot of and I understand that there's kind of a place for everything. I've seen, like these things you can buy, like drums that you put then those work just as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah. Some people don't have an estate, have a small backyard and they don't want a big pile, okay, so they want it to be tidier. So yes, there are drums that you can turn. There are also those things that look like you know, inverted beehives, some black ones and then they have a little door in the bottom.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yes, I heard somebody talking about one and one of those one.
Speaker 3: I was, well, that's different. That's that's to keep your scraps, okay, So that you then I think there are ones that you can put under your sink.
Speaker 2: But yeah, yeah, there's a perfect place outside.
Speaker 3: But my son has there's a service in Madison where you can fill it and put it out on your driveway and they collect it and then you can get back compost.
Speaker 2: Yes somebody okay that my son does.
Speaker 1: That, okay, And yes, that's it's a cool program.
Speaker 2: It sounds like a.
Speaker 3: Great yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, And I don't know if you purchase it you know, I don't know the ins and outs of it, like what a share in it costs. But yeah, so that's what. So when you if you're going to do vegetables and scraps and that kind of stuff, my mother in law told me once that, you know, she would chop it up, and I think that's a good idea. It'll it'll break down faster if you give the whole process a little boost. So chop things up really fine. The the tough for they are, the more the smaller they.
Speaker 1: Should be, the more fibrous and those yes, yeah, fantatic, great great stuff.
Speaker 3: If you throw a carrot in there, it's gonna take some time. If you great said carrot, it's going going to be.
Speaker 1: Faster, kind of given mother nature a head start. Six eight three two one thirteen ten. That's six oh eight three two one thirteen ten. Harry from Fitchburg joins us. Harry, welcome to the program. You're on the air, Lisa Briggs from the Brust Company.
Speaker 3: Yes, my question is what is the best time to apply crabgrass Preventer. So we're getting really close. We do have the the four step program from Scott's out on the floor. Uh, we usually do a deal on it. We have the there's a Scott says, a rebate and all that kind of thing. Timing is you want the temps soil tempts to get about fifty between fifty fifty five. So that's when you know that that crabgrass prevent The pre emergent only lasts so long, and so if you put it down now and we have a later spring, then it's going to be not as effective when the seeds are actually germinating, because what it is is it's a a substance that stops the seeds from germinating. Should the lawn be wet when you apply it, I don't think it matters. I think that you know, if you do it early in the morning when there's dew on the ground, I think that you I don't think that matters. I think you know, you spread it and it goes to the soil. The grass is still short enough right now that it's going to make contact with the soil pretty quickly. It's not affecting the grass itself. Once the crab grass emerges, the pre emergent will not help, will not help. But that's why the timing is really tricky. So you know, if you have like a you can get a soil thermometer. Food thermometers are usually don't go down that low, but you could get a soil thermometer. Or if you're a brewer you've ever made beer. I think that the that the brewing thermometers go down that low.
Speaker 2: I think they do. I used to have one.
Speaker 1: I still have one somewhere, but.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a soil thing.
Speaker 1: Is there and thanks for the great question, and is there are there? I've got a guess too.
Speaker 3: Some of that ground usually around mid to early to mid April, Okay, you know when it's.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well we'll let you know too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't. I don't. I had no, I have no lawn, so.
Speaker 2: You're all you're all garden.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm not necessarily taking my soil tab.
Speaker 1: That's one of those things. Your neighbors might be looking at you like what is she doing or they may be saying, oh, that's just Lisa, see you.
Speaker 2: Never you never know.
Speaker 1: But yeah, that and that is uh you think about pre emergence and getting that stuff on at the right time.
Speaker 3: Yeah great, I mean when you're putting down fertilizers and that kind of stuff, do you have a little more latitude of timing, but with a pre emergent, you know, you don't want it to go on so early that if the soil doesn't warm up quickly that you it lasts about four to six weeks. Okay, So yeah, you've got a window in there, but you want to time it pretty get it right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well that's and that's important stuff.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: As we talk of course each every week with Lisa, it's always a great day. If you ever have questions, I'd love to talk with you. Stop on in Milton Gardens at the Bruce Company. You can also email plant desk at Bruce Company dot com. That's Bruce Company dot com.
Speaker 2: Don't forget.
Speaker 1: We do this each end every Monday morning right at eight am. So if you've got a question then you can call in again. It's even better to get on in great day again in the Milton Garden side of the Bruce Company again right at twenty at thirty Parmenter Street. The website frust Company dot com, Facebook, social media, the Bruce Company. Lisa, it's always way too much fun hanging out with you.
Speaker 2: Join this fantastic day you as well.
Speaker 1: Shine news comes your way next here on thirteen ten Wuiba