Speaker 1: Good morning, ladies and gentlemen, Welcome in to Kentucky Anda's Morning News with Nick Coffee here on news Radio eight forty whas it is five well, three two one. Now it is five oh six here at Kentucky Anda's Morning News. And in fact, you probably hear this a little bit later because there's always a little bit of a delay, a big delay if you're streaming. But anyways, we made it, folks. It's Friday, the weekend is near Father's Day weekend, and we'll take you up till nine o'clock, getting you all you need, weather, traffic, news, some good information.
Speaker 2: I hope. Maybe you'll be entertained. I hope.
Speaker 1: So that's at least what we're going to try to do, so stick with us. We'll have you first, I guess your next update on traffic and weather coming up in about four and a half minutes. We will have sports coming up with Scotty Fitzgerald at five twenty five, and then John Shannon with his first newscast at five point thirty.
Speaker 2: You know the drill.
Speaker 1: I just like to set the table as we get things started, and there are a couple of things to hit on right out of the gate. Given the fact that we have some things that have developed overnight. If you are an early early riser like myself, at least I've become that I'm in bed a lot earlier now that I used to be, So I actually missed some of this, but good thing I was here early to make sure I was caught up on everything we need to get into. I'll start with the federal judge that has I guesse late last night.
Speaker 2: I don't know how late it was.
Speaker 1: I'm just going to refer to it as last night, but a federal judge blocked Trump from deploying the National Guard in California, but then quickly in appeals court blocked that order. So the battle between state and federal is is not slowing up, it seems. And what a scene it was yesterday as California Senator Alex Bidia was forced to the ground handcuffed because he was wanting to question Homeland Security Secretary during her LA news conference.
Speaker 2: And it was a wild scene.
Speaker 1: I mean, Scott, you said you mentioned seeing just some of the social media clips.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was bizarre, man. Sawan.
Speaker 4: I'm glad you're bringing this out because I was busy during the day and you get a chance to really dive into it.
Speaker 3: But it did get my attention.
Speaker 4: That here's someone being hauled out and with the caption, you know, law enforcement officers hauling out. So I was looking forward to seeing what exactly this was all about, because things are getting crazy.
Speaker 1: It's just the pushback on what what ICE is doing. And yeah, and it seemed to be a real emphasis from Padilla just that if they'll treat after the aftermath, of course, sure, I mean Pidia wanted to, I guess, just ask questions in regards to basically, why the heck are you guys doing this?
Speaker 2: How did we get to this?
Speaker 1: How can you just show up and start grabbing people that you believe are here illegally? And then it just led to a meltdown where he's being he's being held back, and then he doesn't really stop and then he's thrown to the ground. And the comments afterwards from Padilla were more so just if he'll treat a secretary or as I'm sorry, senator like this, imagine what he will do to farmers or cooks or day workers. That kind of stuff, which you know, was I'm not surprised that that was sort of his reaction. But man, right now, it just seems as if on both sides of the aisle there's a whole lot more of.
Speaker 2: Could you believe they'll do this? Would you look at this? This is crazy? Look look at how they're behaving right.
Speaker 1: And maybe that's that's not brand new, and maybe I'm just more exposed to it now than I've ever been. But man, the climate right now is is not great.
Speaker 3: Well, it's when I was.
Speaker 4: And I texted you all yesterday and we talked a little bit before we came on the air. I drive past the Brown Hotel. After I leave here, I go down Broadway and I already saw them starting to paint Griffy. They were already painting over graffiti at the building across from the Brown on Broadway. Now, I believe that's got a lot of property up for sale, but it was. It had some It was reminiscent of Brown and Tailor. It had boards up, and well, the protests had been so it was the graffiti fresh. It was fresh, you can tell, yeah, because it was topical. I can't I'm paraphrasing. I can't tell you exactly what it said.
Speaker 1: I got you, but it was very something similar to what you're seeing being graffiti in other.
Speaker 4: Cities exactly, very intentional. I was going to take it, try to get a picture of it, but I was driving. But it's an indication of and we talked about this earlier this week, how these protests they start peaceful and then it takes a few folks who mix it up a little.
Speaker 3: Bit, and then it starts to get out of hand.
Speaker 4: And so it sounds like from the sound you were talking about yesterday and what you were playing that you know they're trying to the mayors trying to get a hold on this, so MPD. But you can't ever predict the future, So we'll see what the weekend holds. I believe the governor spoke yesterday regarding what Kentucky's doing around the state.
Speaker 1: Yes so Saturday tomorrow is expected to be a big day across the country, with more protests planned countless sly and yesterday during his briefing with the state, Sheer did mention that the team that they have in place to handle these kind of things, it's going to be working the weekend essentially, which is what she would expect. Also, something we'll get into coming up here. Just on the other side, which of course is big news that developed last night as Israel launches strike on Iran. I will tell you what we know at least at this point, and of course we'll get some thoughts.
Speaker 2: On that with Rody O'Neil coming your way at about five forty five.
Speaker 1: We've got your first update here within the show of traffic and weather coming your way right now, right here on news Radio eight forty whas. It is five point sixteen here Kentucky and his morning news on News Radio eight forty whas. Don't forget take us with you wherever you go. Listen live on the iHeartRadio web. Also listened live at whas dot com. So Israel launched strike on Iran last night, and here is here's what we know at this point. US officials have told CBS News that the United States had no role in planning or intelligence and its focused on protecting its own troops. That was Secretary of State Mario Marco Rubio stressed that point publicly, which it is important to note that. But the Israeli Prime Minister says the goal is to quote roll back the Iranian threat and warned that the attacks will continue quote for as many days as it takes. Here is the Prime Minister commenting on the ongoing situation.
Speaker 5: Moments ago, Israel launched Operation Rising Lion, targeted military operation to roll back the Iranian threat to Israel's very survival. This operation will continue for as many days as it takes to remove this threat.
Speaker 1: So a couple of big stories as we get the Friday morning started when it comes to the Israel, Israel and Iran situation, as well as the continued protests going on across the country with these raids and ice and Trump's immigration plan. So a busy, busy Friday to get you set for a Father's Day weekend. Now, I tell you what, when it comes to the local level, I'm just looking here to see and I assume that most are well. If you're not, maybe you're not keeping up with this as much as others. And you know, maybe it's hard to keep up with because it seems to be every changing, especially here in the last forty eight hours. When it comes to the spread of these protests in other cities, it still doesn't seem as if we've seen anything quite to the level that what we had for I guess earlier this week in Los Angeles, But I would say more cities, more protests are coming, especially Saturday, and LMPD they're preparing for what they believe hundreds of people to be out protesting anti you know, basically an anti Donald Trump demonstration planned and it's being called No King's Day. So officers locally say that they support the right to assemble and they're also going to be out making sure they keep things peaceful. And here are some comments from LMPD from yesterday.
Speaker 6: We've done a lot of use of force training, so if you were talking about force, there's been a lot of training and policy changes in regards to that. We've also changed our civil disturbance and response policies.
Speaker 7: Lmpds updated policy also calls for crowd containment over confrontation, using tools like bike patrols, mounted units, and video recordings. In the twenty twenty protest, a federal review criticized the department for being unprepared.
Speaker 1: So, you know, when it comes to what's going to take place this week and really across the country, but probably even locally, you know, just just I hate to be so pessimistic, but if the amount of people that are expected to be out protesting, demonstrate, demonstrating, whatever you want.
Speaker 2: To call it.
Speaker 1: The scenario where there's not at least a few examples of somebody crossing said line of taking things from non peace from peaceful to non peaceful.
Speaker 2: It's bound to happen, right, yep.
Speaker 1: And that doesn't mean that everyone out that is expressing what they have the right to do peacefully is you know, criminals. But I just what I have a tough time trying to balance, and it's really an impossible thing to do, is when you see one are two, three isolated things, there's so many that just assume that's that's what everything is, That's what every protest is, That's how everybody is that's out there trying to trying to I guess, make a change. Yeah, And that's just really the society we're in these days, with social media and whatnot. But I just I guess what I'm saying is just if you do, in fact, see a couple of clips pictures, you hear of some arrests from people clearly doing things that you can't do, and they're gonna be held accountable legally, I think so many are just going to assume, well, that's just what the whole thing was, right, and and you know it's not.
Speaker 3: So it's exactly right, well said Mantime.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just be on the lookout and hopefully we'll get a chance to talk to some of our local folks here and we keep everything down too. I mean, folks should obviously be able to protest when they want to protest. That's the beautiful thing about this country. But hopefully we in Louisville can set the example and show that we learn from Beyonna Taylor and keep it all between the navigational beacons as they like.
Speaker 1: A lot to learn on all fronts from that entire situation. Are your first update of sports with Scott that's coming up here in just five minutes. We've got the College World Series getting started today and a wild story that I'm not sure I would have believed ten years ago, but Antonio Brown is wanted for attempted murder. Right wow, So anyways, your first update of sports again coming up in four minutes now. It is now five to twenty one A Kentucky his Morning News on news Radio eight forty whas.
Speaker 2: Thank you, John.
Speaker 1: It is five thirty five here Kentucky and his morning News with Nick Coffee on News Radio eight forty whas. We've got the full crew assemble, Scott Fitzgerald, John Alden, and you just heard John Shannon there. We'll talk to Roy O'Neil coming up in about ten minutes. We'll get his thoughts on the big stories developing from overnight, and these certainly are big stories. We know that a federal judge stepped into block what Donald Trump had put in place when it comes to deploying resources to help contain the protests, and that was quickly overturned. So the unrest and the fight between state and federal continues. And then also we'll talk some Father's Day stuff. Is he's got some good, good information as far as what fathers fathers can expect as far as the amount of money that's going to be spent on them, which clearly Father's Day gifts are a real thing.
Speaker 2: But I don't, I don't.
Speaker 1: This is not a I don't expect any gift. I just want time with my family. Not trying to be that guy, but I don't, I don't. I don't really think of like big gifts for Father's Day. I mean, like maybe something that's like you know, something that me Again, I'm sounding corny here, just trying to it seems as if I'm really forcing it, Like I just care about being a dad, but like if you want to give me gifts, great, It's just I don't really I've never really felt like Father's Day is like a big gift day.
Speaker 3: It's not. And that's the beauty of it.
Speaker 4: And what happens is and what people need to remember too, is every dad is different. Now, there are some dads that they love that attention. They they like that, and that's okay, that's not a problem. I think I'm with you. I think you and I probably John now, being the new dad he is.
Speaker 2: Is probably that he just wants to sleep for father.
Speaker 3: That's exactly right. I think I'm with you.
Speaker 6: Bro.
Speaker 4: You asked earlier this week, you know whatever, you know, what would you want for Father's Day?
Speaker 3: And I think I told you I just.
Speaker 4: Want a good local cold brew and maybe some good barbecue. And I'll even swap that barbecue out for pizza because that's my other kryptonite.
Speaker 2: Pizza is good.
Speaker 1: Can't go wrong with pizza. Bad pizza is still good pizza, right, if that makes sense?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 4: And like my son he was telling me, said, Hey, Dad, I may come home for Father's Day, and I said, well, you can, but it's not a big deal. And I mean that with the greatest affection. You know, don't put yourself out.
Speaker 3: So to your.
Speaker 4: Point, it sounds like we're gonna spend a lot of money. You'll talk more worry about this. We're gonna spend a lot of money on Father's Day.
Speaker 3: We just don't. You just don't do it in the same way you do Mother's Day. Like you you will have no problem getting a dinner reservation.
Speaker 1: Mothers get taken But I'm not gonna put words in Scott's mouth. We moms get taken care of better on Mother's Day than Dad's and I think that's just the expectation, not to say that dads aren't appreciated. But yeah, I mean, I think there's data that would show that Mother's Day is a In fact, Mother's Day is the most difficult day to get seated.
Speaker 2: At a restaurant.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, more than more than any other day, more than Valentine's Day.
Speaker 3: Because in fact, it was funny.
Speaker 4: I was there's a place I buy flowers from here and it's not a floral store, and I buy them there, and I bought them for ten fifteen years now because they're so cheap.
Speaker 3: I asked, that's loyalty, right there, Bingo. I asked the lady that question. I said, so, what's your bigger flower Day? Because like all the dudes were in buying flowers, et cetera.
Speaker 2: Mother's Day, No, Suprise.
Speaker 3: Mother's Day, I said, not Valentine's Day, because not Valentine's Day.
Speaker 1: So with Valentine's Day it falls on the fourteenth every year. Therefore, it can be Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, fry, so it could be any day, and some people will choose if it's on a Tuesday, they'll celebrate the weekend before or the weekend after. Mother's Day's one day. Yeah, you can do I mean, you can really celebrate it whenever you want, to be honest, but most people are going to want to make sure they do it that day. And I remember the fir it was. I think we had still had some restrictions, I believe, but it was Mother's Day of twenty twenty when we were just being able to kind of get back into restaurants, but there were obviously things in place, and man, that was a wild time that still doesn't seem quite real. Just as far as like the restrictions and limitations we had at that time, but it was complete chaos because people were so ready to get the heck out of the house because they'd been locked down quarantined for so long and itching to just get out and have a meal and celebrate with family. I feel like at that point there must have been some level of lifting it to where like you could be full go if everybody had masks on when they weren't. Again, it just sounds crazy talking about this because it just seems unreal, but think about how limited those staffs were at the time, just coming back off of COVID. Some people were wanting to stay with unemployment rather than go back to work because there a restaurant that open back up. So, yeah, you Father's Day will be busy for restaurants for restaurants as well, so be prepared. But Mother's Day is a different animal, as it should be. Moms are great, so I don't take that as a poor dad's get no love. It's all about the moms. It's not what I was going for.
Speaker 4: But and you always had that one member of the family who knows how to give gifts, just like in our house, it's my daughter. My daughter nails gifts. Whether it's me, my son, or my my wife, she nails the gifts. I don't know how she does it, but she knows.
Speaker 2: It's a gift. No pun intending it's a really bad joke.
Speaker 3: It's Friday joke. You can say, what do.
Speaker 1: They do on with Tony and Douy doesn't he have to put like a dollar in the jar if it makes a bad joke.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna have to is that what it is?
Speaker 1: John, it is I'm gonna I'm gonna have to give a dollar because that was that was not that was not my best work. We've got an update of trafficking weather coming your way, as well as our conversation with Rory O'Neil. It is Kuky. It's Morning News on news radio eight forty w h AS five forty five here Kentucky, and it's Morning News with Dick Coffee on news radio eight forty w h as. Time to bring in Roory O'Neil of NBC News. Rory a lot to react to from from overnight. I'll start with just I guess the latest on the federal judge that that initially had had had said what Donald Trump was trying to do was was not gonna fly, and then that was quickly reversed. I know that was a developing story late last night. Can you tell us any any update on that other than what we know right now?
Speaker 8: Yeah, there are not a whole lot of new details. Obviously, everyone is a bit anxious about exactly what's going to be unfolding with some of these other demonstrations in the days ahead, especially with the big military parade happening tomorrow. You know, when the judge first denied it, it was that emergency motion, That's what was denied, and then had that change of that change of heart or that change of law happening late last night, as you mentioned. So it's a bit of a reversal. But again it shows how all of this is in flux, as we're not really sure what to expect either at the parade on Saturday, who turns out, and at these No Kings events eighteen hundred of them are being planned all across the country.
Speaker 1: The Senator from California, Alex Spadilla, who was taking to the ground handcuffed after he tried to question the Homeland Security Secretary, I mean, that's another one of those things, don't we chalk it up to not something you typically see taking place with a senator being throw to the ground and clearly being very very upset. It's just one of those things. Again, we've had these conversations in recent weeks. Kind of hard to know if it's real or not right or.
Speaker 8: And how much of it was performance? I guess would be the criticism.
Speaker 2: As well, well, said senator.
Speaker 8: The senator certainly knows the cameras were there. It was a press conference, after all, So how much of this was a show that he was putting on for the cameras? You know, I give a secretary known credit. She barely missed a beat. She paused speaking briefly, but she kept right on going.
Speaker 2: It's almost as if she expected it.
Speaker 8: Oh, now, wait a minute, let's not go. But no, so she was, you know, steadfast and just kept right on going. As I guess they got her now, Secretary is used to that.
Speaker 2: Roy On Neil of NBC News joins the Serro News Radio eight forty.
Speaker 1: Whas we've got Father's Day coming up this weekend, what can you tell us as far as how much money people are going to be spending to honor their dads this weekend.
Speaker 8: It's a lot more than I thought, a lot more than I ever spent on my dad, God rest his soul. But the total spending is going to top twenty four billion dollars this year, according to the National Retail Federation. That's up from last year's twenty two point four billion and now tops the record that was had been set in twenty twenty three. On average, according to the NRF, we'll be spending just under two hundred bucks on dads, stepdads, husbands thirty eight. That's the that's the dollar out they figure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that does seem that does seem to be a little more than I would than I would expect. But I guess it's been a good year. I've been a really good year for dad's Do we know what is there a is there a known gift or I guess request from fathers that is most common.
Speaker 2: I hear that.
Speaker 1: You know, some dads say, well, if you just let me have a day to myself, go to the golf course. I hear people say that if people really do that, because I don't. I don't know if I would have the heart to do that.
Speaker 8: Well, just like, hey, dad, I'll take care of the lawn this week, or whatever it may be. To those tours that fall on dad's shoulders. Yeah, you know what, I think they end up getting. Something like fifty eight percent said they're going to buy a greeting card for Dad. Fifty five percent said they're getting clothing for Father's Day. About as many say they're planning a special outing, some sort of a dinner or something, and a lot more popular this year, The NRF says we're buying more and more subscriptions, subscription boxes to things whiskey of the month, beer the month, barbecue, sauce of the month, whatever it may be. About forty three percent or in that subscription zone right now.
Speaker 2: Those are all good ideas.
Speaker 1: Rory, thank you for joining us as always, appreciate the conversation and enjoy your weekend.
Speaker 2: We'll talk soon. Thanks Nick, Right, take care. That is Rory O'Neil NBC News. Yeah, going back to the.
Speaker 1: Senator that was taken to the ground my words, no one else has trust me. I'm not putting this and putting this on Rory O'Neil, but you know, for his the reaction of you know, if they'll do this to me as senator imagine what they'll do to farmers and to cooks that are maybe here illegally. And I'm paraphrasing. I also don't know if most senators would have approached that situation yesterday as animated as that senator, mister Prittilla was. But anyhow, we've got an update of traffic and weather coming your way, and another update of sports.
Speaker 2: It is five to fifty, It's Kentucky.
Speaker 1: Its Morning News with Nick Coffee on News Radio eight forty whas